- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Kagome spends some time with Kouga, and thinks about her feelings for him. Deciding that she does have feelings for him, she explores them; and they encounter some trouble...

 

Chapter Six

 

 

 

 

`…where are you?! Can you hear me!?...'

 

Kagome woke with a start. She was warm, and she noticed a fire. But I… I didn't make a fire… She looked around a little more, propping herself up on both elbows. She instantly noticed that the wolf-boy was gone. Yuki! He's gone! And… his clothes, too! Bandits?! She shook the notion of bandits that would steal a wolf pup but build a fire. She also noticed she was covered with furs. It was almost evening. She wondered if Yuki had gotten so well that he dressed himself, built a fire, and went back to the pack…

 

Kouga awoke, his head feeling foggy. He felt movement, and turned to his right, and was amazed by what he saw. In the fading daylight, with fire lighting her face, Kagome was lying next to him. She looked bedraggled, but beautiful; the flames danced on her face in such a way that she glowed. All he could do was stare.

 

Kagome suddenly got the feeling that she was being watched. She turned, and indeed, there was Kouga, staring at her with a most peculiar expression. She had forgotten all the drama of Kouga half-drowning and saving him and all. She had given him life, by pressing her lips onto his, and breathing air into him…

 

“Kagome? What's wrong? You're flushed. Are you feeling all right?” he asked worriedly.

 

“Oh, yeah,” she giggled nervously. “No, I was… just remembering what happened. I forgot for a moment. And I was wondering where Yuki had gone…”

 

“Hmm… I wouldn't worry. I can smell that some of the wolf pack was here. They probably took him back to the cave,” he reassured her.

 

“Mmm, yes. You're probably right,” she agreed.

 

Kagome looked down into his bright blue eyes. A little while ago they had seemed so dim. She had almost lost him.

 

“Wait… what did you mean, `remembering what happened'? What happened that got you so upset?” he asked, concerned.

 

“You… don't remember?” she asked incredulously.

 

He shook his head. “No. I remember holding the boy in the water, and I started to feel so cold… so… paralyzed. You wanted to take the pup, but I didn't want you to have to get in the cold water. But you look like you did anyways…”

 

“Oh!” Kagome cried, smoothing her hair and wiping her face. “Ha ha, yes. I had to take Yuki from you. But everything worked out,” she said, smiling nervously.

 

“But I don't remember even getting out of the river. And my chest feels… I don't know. Like pressure… like there was something there…” Kouga said, placing his hand on his chest and trying to sit up with his other arm.

 

As he sat up, he felt sore, and taking his hand from his chest, it went to his lower back, where he felt bruised and scratched, like he had been dragged. But I couldn't drag myself out on my back. That doesn't make sense. Unless someone else dragged me out. But no one else was there except... He looked into Kagome's quivering eyes. It seemed like she was remembering something painful…

 

“Kagome, what really happened?” he asked sternly.

 

His tone suggested that she should tell the truth. But how could she? She didn't want to hurt his ego… being saved by a girl… but she also didn't want to let him know that she had practically made out with him while he was pretty much DOA.

 

“Well…” she hesitated, but she looked into Kouga's eyes, and the words flowed freely, suddenly. “I took Yuki from you, and I had to wrap him up with the furs. But when I turned around to find you, I couldn't see you. So I jumped in, and you had slipped under, a little bit from where you had been standing,” she told him. She looked away, continuing. “I grabbed you and dragged you onto the grass. But you weren't breathing, so I had to push on your chest to help you breathe. And…” she hesitated, but chose her words carefully, “I had to take your armor off to do that. It's over there.”

 

She nodded towards the metal piece on the grass a few feet from them. Kouga never took his eyes from her face. He read it. There was fear, embarrassment, and… something else. He quirked an eyebrow at her to prod her.

 

“Yes, so, when you started breathing again, I realized that I had only brought enough furs for the sick boy, so since I was cold too, I held you to keep us both warm, but I woke up to find us covered, and a fire built…” she explained as she looked into the fire.

 

“That was probably Ginta and Hakkaku…” he told her as he stared into the fire as well.

 

He tried to piece together what she had told him. Yes, he remembered feeling numb as he had given the cub to her, and then feeling overwhelmed, and enveloped by the cold. Then, he couldn't remember anything until he felt air… he recalled coughing up water and saying something to Kagome, but he had felt something else before he started coughing. Air, filling his lungs and… something on his lips and face. Where did the air come from? Did Kagome… did she breathe the air into him?

 

Kagome stood, hissing as her aching muscles pleaded to keep resting. The cold and the strain of pulling Kouga out of the water had taken their toll. She rubbed her left bicep unconsciously. Suddenly, there was another hand there, massaging her arm. She felt Kouga's bare chest against her shoulders and upper back and she blushed heavily.

 

“That must have been very difficult for you. I'm sure you're sore and tired,” he said softly.

 

Kagome's heart began to race. He was massaging her shoulders, and it felt so good. It was like his fingers took the pain away, physically and mentally.

 

“Yes,” she said, her voice so low it was almost a whisper. But she knew he could hear it. She turned in her spot to face him.

 

He looked surprised to see her turn to face him, and he was amused by her boldness. It wouldn't take much to kiss her. He wanted to feel her lips. It wasn't fair that he had been unconscious when she had had her mouth on his. He ached to do it… to press his lips onto hers. But… she wasn't ready. This wasn't the time. He wanted her to want it. So, he turned to get his armor, and strapped it back into place. He almost keeled over and died again when he looked up and saw the expression on her face… anger, relief, need, and embarrassment all rolled into one beautiful face. He stifled the laughter he felt creeping into his gut.

 

Kouga reached into the river and cupped some water into his hands and doused the fire. Then, he grabbed the furs, and turned to Kagome, who was still standing there. Her expression had changed. She looked pained now, hurt. Had she wanted me to kiss her? Regardless, the moment was gone, and it seemed ludicrous to try it now. He wanted to be sure that it wasn't InuYasha she was thinking of… He wasn't stupid. She cares for that hanyou, and it would take time and healing for her to realize that she'll never be the woman for InuYasha. He can't get over the resurrected miko, and even if she died again, he wouldn't open his heart to Kagome. The thought of her heart breaking as he shuns her love was unbearable. It made him angry. It made him want to find that bastard and put his fist through his chest.

 

Kagome had felt lonely at that moment. She thought that he might kiss her, but he had only smiled and turned to get dressed. He had doused the fire and collected the furs, and he seemed ready to get back to his tribe. He had looked at her almost sadly, but he hadn't kissed her. Why? It made her angry. Once again, things were not going as she wanted. Just like InuYasha… Was a boy ever going to kiss her? Or would she have to settle for Houjou? The thought both shocked her and made her feel bad for putting him on the backburner, just as InuYasha does with her. Oh, god, is this how Houjou feels? No, Houjou doesn't know there's `someone else'… Ignorance is bliss…

 

Kagome snapped back to reality to find Kouga staring into nothingness. He was standing with the furs, not quite facing her, and she could see he was gritting his teeth. And possibly balling a fist or two. What was he so angry about? Perhaps he's upset that he didn't kiss me after all?

 

Kagome smiled at him, and he seemed to calm. “Ready?” he asked.

 

Kagome nodded, and they began to walk back to the cave. There was still much work to be done.

 

 

At Kaede's home, Sango and Kirara were practicing their moves, and Miroku was meditating. Shippou was helping Kaede, who was making supper for all. And InuYasha… he was in a tree, sulking. He hadn't spoken to anyone all day. Not when they called him for lunch, not when Miroku teased him, and not when Sango asked him if he'd like to train. He's really upset this time… she thought. He could hear Miroku chanting, Sango and Kirara jumping and playing, the Hiraikotsu swinging, and Kaede and Shippou speaking, but there was something missing from his life. There was no happiness. There was no laughter, no joy. Was it the happiness he missed? Or just her? If he craved companionship, he could just go and see Kikyou. She was staying at a nearby village, helping with some sick children. She always wanted to help. Just like Kagome. She just wanted to be normal… He heard Kaede claim that dinner was finished, and Shippou told her that he would get the others. Taking his cue, InuYasha leapt from the tree, into the forest. Shippou came out of the hut, and seeing the hanyou gone, moved on to get Sango, and they approached Miroku together, all of them coming to Kaede's home together.

 

“I wonder where InuYasha went. He was here a few minutes ago…” Shippou wondered out loud.

 

Miroku and Sango merely looked at each other knowingly, and they all sat to eat.

 

***

 

“Kouga!” shouted Hakkaku.

 

“We went and got dinner since you weren't back yet!” Ginta cried.

 

“Very good,” the wolf prince told them. They beamed, and resumed their duties.

 

Kagome greeted some of the wolves; they welcomed her with whines and licks. She laughed happily, and Kouga watched her. As he watched her interact with them, the ache in his chest returned. It felt like he was going to explode, starting with his stomach. He smiled unconsciously, and began to daydream.

 

Kagome turned to see where Kouga was and found him looking at her dreamily, but not really looking at her. She wondered what was going on in his mind, and decided to break into his thoughts. She popped up in front of him and he seemed startled. He smiled at her again and apologized, and they continued walking until they reached the cave where Yuki had been when they first saw him. He was still lying down, but he was awake this time. When he saw his leader, he smiled weakly.

 

“They told me how you saved me. Thank you,” Yuki said shyly.

 

“Ah, it wasn't me, little Yuki. It was Kagome here. She was the one who helped you, and we still have to get you more medicine,” he told the boy, ruffling his hair.

 

The boy looked at Kagome with wonder, and tried his best to get up.

 

“No, p… please! Don't try to get up!” Kagome said. She knelt next to the boy and gently hugged him.

 

She began to cry again, and Kouga knelt to wipe away her tears. The grey-haired boy was happy, and he released Kagome to lie back down. He fell asleep very quickly.

 

“Thank you, Kagome.”

 

Kagome looked at the cub again, but it hadn't been the cub who spoke. She turned her head to see Kouga looking at her gently. He tried to wipe away the rest of the tears, and Kagome placed her hand on his. This time, it was Kouga who blushed lightly.

 

Kagome stood, and went to work making rounds and asking about everyone's health. Luckily, there had been more than enough medicine, and since Ginta and Hakkaku had watched her, they had continued to medicate the children and the elders. They were just finishing with the elders that were not as ill. Satisfied with the results, Kagome began to make a new brew.

 

“I guess we'll leave in the morning. No sense in traveling now. We'd have to make camp soon,” Kouga told her as she crushed herbs and added them to a kettle with water.

 

She just nodded, and Kouga helped her light the fire. He smiled at her again, and left the cave. Kagome smiled back and went back to her task.

 

Kouga exited the cave and went to check on the food that his companions had brought. There were a few boars, rabbits, and some berries, vegetables, and fish. Internally, he sighed. It was a good hunting day. They didn't always eat so good, and perhaps it will help some of the sick wolves feel better - if they don't throw it up. And Kagome will be able to eat well. She hadn't looked well when they had first woken up, but her color returned gradually, and the walk probably smoothed out her muscles. She saved me. Twice. She got me out of the river, and breathed life into me. Kouga started a fire to cook the various meats. He poked at the fire.

 

***

 

Kagome had a wonderful time. She had taken meager portions for fear that there wouldn't be enough, but Kouga had made her eat. He had told her that red meat was the best for her right now, and she obliged, taking a few vegetables as well. She loved fish, but wasn't crazy about red meat. But Kouga cared about her, and he was worried, so she'd eaten some. She would've died for some soumen… She had served the preventative concoction that she had made for the healthy wolves, and all were grateful. The time she spent with Kaede was time well spent. They all talked and barked, and they tried to include her as much as possible. She laughed, ate, and talked. When they started to bring food to those who couldn't come to where the others were eating, Kagome got up to help as well, but Kouga stopped her. She looked at him questioningly, but he stood firm.

 

“You need to rest,” he told her.

 

“But, I should help…” she began.

 

“Please. Stay with me,” he said.

 

Kagome felt an ache in her stomach, and she nodded. She sat as the wolves around them bustled to clean up. At first she was shy, folding her hands in her lap and staring at them. But she wondered why she was behaving so innocently when a little while ago, she had wanted Kouga to kiss her. She looked up and was surprised to see that he was staring into the fire, and not at her. She suddenly worried that his feelings had changed, and she decided to test him. She scooted closer to him, and this got his attention. He looked at her questioningly. She placed her elbow on her leg, bringing her hand up to her face, resting her chin in her palm.

 

“So,” she said suddenly, “YOU may have had enough water for one day, but I need a bath.”

 

Kouga looked at her blankly. “Well, do you need an escort? Or would you rather go alone?” he asked.

 

Kagome frowned. This was not the answer she had hoped for. “Well, I was hoping you would take me…” she said in the most innocent voice she could muster.

 

Kouga perked up. “Well,” he said with a grin, fangs exposed, “I could take you, but you couldn't blame me if I were to peek…”

 

Kagome smiled. Ah, same old Kouga… But now she was in a predicament. Her expression changed quickly.

 

“I just meant that I would feel safer if it was you watching over me…” She attempted to save herself.

 

“Oh,” Kouga said, disappointed. “Yeah, I could bring you there. By the way,” he said, bringing his face closer to hers, “I'm assuming you want to have a cave to yourself, but there isn't that much room here. So if you'd like, I could arrange for one of the families to take you…”

 

She wasn't thrilled of the idea of sleeping in a room with strangers. Kouga explained that in the caves that they did have, many families lived in each one, except his. It was one of the few privileges he had. Kagome would rather share a huge cave with Kouga than a huge collection of wolves. Besides, he wouldn't try anything…

 

Their faces closer than ever, Kagome told him breathily, “Why don't I just stay in your cave?”

 

The following look was one of pure shock.

 

“Are… are you sure? I mean, you know, it would just be the two of us…”

 

Kagome was pleased with herself. It was a two-fer. She would have more privacy AND she made Kouga nervous in a way she had never seen.

 

“Yes!” she said happily. “I know that! I just feel safer with you.”

 

Kouga just swallowed hard, then asked her if she was ready for her bath. She nodded, and started going through her back pack to find her shampoo, soap, towel, and pajamas. She usually slept in her clothes, but since she was going to be in a cave, and she wasn't the actual caretaker here, she could wear pajamas. They were light blue, and had stars and crescent moons all over them. There was a tank top, and the bottoms were cut short, halfway between the knee and ankle. Kouga waited and watched patiently. When she was finished, she popped out from her big yellow bag and told him she was ready to go. He nodded, and Kagome began to walk, but he came up behind her, scooped her up, and ran quickly to the same river that she had pulled Kouga from.

 

Once there, Kagome told Kouga that she needed a little privacy, but he could be nearby. He agreed, and he walked into a patch of trees and sat at the base of one. Kagome was surprised. She had expected him to resist - whining and complaining about not being by her side as she undressed - but he had simply complied. Shrugging, Kagome laid her things by the bank, undressed, and wrapped a towel around herself. She got into the water up to her ankles before she couldn't take anymore. She quickly bent over and dunked her hair into the water and shampooing it. When she was satisfied, she dunked again, rinsing out the suds and wrung her hair out. With one task accomplished, she moved on to the more difficult chore - washing herself. She took the washcloth she had brought and soaked it, then rubbed herself, wincing from the cold. When she thought that her skin was damp enough, she used the soap to cleanse herself, using the washcloth again to rinse. Finally done, she started to turn around to get dressed, but when she did, she wished she had let Kouga stay with her.

 

Kouga was sitting under the tree when he suddenly looked up at the moon. He stared for a while, trying to clear his head and shake the temptation to sneak a peek at Kagome bathing. He had unfocused, and had been mildly successful with those tasks when he thought he heard a rustle. He figured Kagome had finished quickly because of the cold water, so he didn't move. After a few seconds, the wind shifted, bringing Kagomes' scent towards him. He smelled her - a strange but clean smell - but this time it was different. It smelled… musky. Dirty. And not like Kagome. Something else was near her! He jumped up, and as he did, he heard a roar, and a scream.

 

***

 

Kagome stood no more than six feet from a very large, very hungry bear. Not a teddy bear, not one of those circus bears that rides a unicycle, and certainly not one of those movie bears that likes people. This was a very large, very wild bear. She couldn't think of the species at the time, but they were endangered in her time. She had seen them in the zoos on school trips. He was black with a cream colored v-shaped marking on his chest. And he looked hungry. And just as she opened her mouth to scream for Kouga, the bear stood. On two legs, the bear was about a foot taller than her. And this scared Kagome so much that the very voice was stolen from her throat. So she stood, helpless, as the bear roared at her, and with that, Kagome took action. Unfortunately, it was the wrong action. She attempted to run, and as she took her first step, the bear reached out and swiped at her with its' two inch long claws. Hitting their mark, the claws ran gashes into her left side and snatched the towel from her. Kagome screamed in pain as she fell to the ground.

 

The bear made the mistake of turning its' attention to the towel, biting and tearing with claws and sharp canines. When it realized it wasn't going to get food from it, the bear left the shredded fabric and turned its' attention to Kagome who was now crawling on her stomach towards the trees, crying as she moved. The bear began to charge, but half way to its' prey, the bear was knocked off its' feet. Kouga's kick had sent the bear flying into a tree that cracked when the 400 pound bear hit it. The powerful kick combined with the impact with the tree had also killed the bear, leaving it slumped around the base of the tree. Kouga did not check to see if it was surely dead. Instead, he ran to Kagome, who was crying, face down and naked, in the grass. He could smell her blood, and there was a lot of it. He knelt down and stroked her hair.

 

“I'm so sorry, Kagome. I should've been there sooner. I should've noticed. I should've…” he said, his voice wavering with emotion.

 

“P… please… my clothes…” she interrupted.

 

He suddenly realized that she was, indeed, naked. He nodded and brought the blue clothes to her, but also fetched the ripped towel, which he ripped a small piece off and put aside, and he knelt beside her again. She reached for her clothes, but Kouga pushed her hand aside. She was still crying, but silently now, and it broke the wolf prince's heart. He hated when she cried. He helped her sit up, and she covered her chest with one arm as Kouga took her other hand for support. She kept her knees bent and together, but to her surprise, when she got the courage to look at him, he had his head turned and his eyes closed. Even with the pain of her wounds, Kagome's chest began to ache so much she could barely breathe. She was amazed that with all his confidence and flirting, Kouga was respecting her privacy. When she was sitting up fully, Kouga kept his eyes closed, and used his sense of smell to guide him to the wound, the blood telling the tale of the location. He used the towel to wrap around her whole waist, and she winced and hissed whenever he went over the gashes. He told her he was sorry, but that pressure was needed to stop the bleeding. She agreed, and she tried to quell the noises that she made since he was so worried. When he began to tie the ends on her right side, he accidentally brushed against her right breast, which made Kouga blush deeply. Kagome, feeling faint now from the loss of blood, hardly noticed. She started to sway, and this worried Kouga even more. Finished, he laid the small piece of cloth between her legs, picked up Kagome and her clothes, and began to run towards the wolf pack. Almost as soon as he began running, Kagome's arm went limp, which made him very nervous, because as he looked down, not only did he get an eyeful of Kagome's beautiful breasts, but she was not conscious. He called her name, but she remained limp. He stopped dead in his tracks. He knew he should bring her to Kaede's home. But he didn't want mutt-face to accuse him of not taking care of her. He would be right, though. I couldn't protect her. She got hurt because I wasn't there. I couldn't protect her… He began to run towards Kaede's village.

 

It didn't take long, perhaps twenty minutes, but when he arrived at the little village, all the lights were off. Humans… he thought. They go to sleep so early. He entered the hut to be greeted with a wooden spoon to the head.

 

“Ow!” he cried. “What was that for?!”

 

“Oh, Kouga. I didn't know the demon approaching was you,” Kaede said flatly. She squinted to see what he was carrying. “By the gods! What happened?” she hissed.

 

“She was bathing, and asked me to leave her…” he started.

 

“Understandable,” Kaede said, nodding and motioning for him to lay her on the table.

 

Kouga began to growl, but held it in, for he needed this miko's help.

 

“And a bear attacked her. I killed it, but it wounded her,” he finished sadly.

 

Kaede recognized the guilt in his face and regret in his voice, and smiled.

 

“Come now,” she said to him, “help me prepare her.”

 

She instructed him to fetch some water in a kettle and build a fire, as she retrieved something to cover Kagome's private areas. As they both finished their intended duties, Kaede had Kouga wait with her as she fetched a needle and thread. She heated the needle, and spoke to Kouga as she prepared herself for what she intended to do.

 

“Now, wolf, she is either going to wake and scream in pain, or she will be unconscious for some time. Hopefully it will be the latter. Either way, the best thing you can do is hold her hand,” she instructed him.

 

He nodded, taking her right hand and holding it firmly between his rough hands.

 

“Thank you,” he said suddenly, his eyes not leaving Kagome's face.

 

She inspected him, and quirked an eyebrow. “I'm not doing this for you. Kagome is a dear friend of mine…”

 

Kouga shook his head. “No. For covering her. She would've been very embarrassed,” he said solemnly.

 

Kaede nodded, and noticing his seriousness, smiled. She assured him Kagome would be fine, and she took the needle from the fire with a special tool and threaded it. Kouga begged Kaede to not hurt her, to which she simply replied that Kagome was already hurt. The older miko pierced skin, and began to close the wounds. At one point, Kaede looked at Kouga to find him looking stern but appearing as if he were about to cry. She smiled and continued working. When the stitching was done, Kaede took a rag and dipped part of it in the hot water. She let it drip for a few moments, letting it cool, and then gently wiped the excess blood from Kagomes' skin. Kouga's eyes never left Kagome's face, and his hands never let go of hers. Kaede applied an ointment to the outside of the wound, and gave it to Kouga. He looked at her strangely.

 

“It needs to be reapplied at least three times a day, and I will apply a dressing, which will be needed to be changed whenever the ointment is reapplied,” she instructed him.

 

“But, I figured that, well… that mutt-face was going to take care of her,” he said questioningly.

 

“Ah, but InuYasha knows not of her visit. He is visiting with my sister Kikyou, who is in a neighboring town,” she explained as she wrapped the closed wound with cloth. “Unless you do not want to take her back with you, in which case…”

 

“No, no! She'll come with me,” Kouga insisted.

 

At the raised voice, Sango appeared.

 

“What… oh no, what happened?” she asked them.

 

“It is nothing, my child. Kagome was hurt, but she is fine now,” Kaede explained.

 

“Then why is she unconscious?” Sango said angrily, looking at Kouga.

 

“She fainted, but she will be awake soon,” Kaede told her calmly.

 

Sango was not buying it - Kouga's guilty look said more than what Kaede was telling her. She stared at the wolf prince, scowling.

 

“She is just as protective as you are, Kouga. Do not worry so much, both of you,” Kaede said softly.

 

“If he's so damn protective, how'd she get hurt?!” Sango yelled.

 

Kouga looked pained, and Kaede intervened. “That is a story for tomorrow morning, when we've all rested,” Kaede said smoothly.

 

Miroku joined them at the sound of Sango's heightened voice. He started to ask what had happened, but Sango immediately blocked his view, remembering that her friend was almost naked. He struggled to see, but Sango was adamant in her blocking duty.

 

Kaede asked Kouga if the blue clothes he had been carrying had been Kagome's, and he nodded. The old woman retrieved them from where Kouga had placed them, and she unfolded them, preparing to dress the patient. Without a word spoken, Kouga bent over, hiding his face from Kagome's body. Kaede removed the upper piece of cloth and placed the flimsy light blue shirt over Kagome's head and pulling it down. Just as quickly, she removed the lower cloth and pulled the stretchy pants onto her legs, taking care to let it rest below the wound.

 

“Ah, all done,” Kaede announced, and suddenly the room was quiet.

 

Kouga's head snapped up, and he looked relieved. Sango still appeared angry, but now she was partially angry with the monk. Miroku, seeing Kagome for the first time since she arrived, was worried. He remembered Kaede's words, and thought it was best to wait until morning to ask what had happened. He told them he was going back to bed, and suggested that Sango did as well. Sango, already in an irritable mood, misunderstood and believed he was trying to get her in his bed and from the other room, Kaede and Kouga heard a loud smack and a defensive Miroku whine.

 

“You should leave, you both need rest,” Kaede told the wolf demon.

 

He nodded, and picking up the medicines, some bandages that the old miko offered him, and finally Kagome herself, he left the hut.

 

“Thank you,” he said quietly. “I promise to take better care of her,” he added.

 

“I know you will,” she said, smiling gently.

 

Kaede turned, retreating back to her home. He watched the lights go out, one by one. Not wanting to run into InuYasha for once, he quickly turned and ran home.

 

When Kouga was nearly back with the tribe, a pack of wolves, along with Ginta and Hakkaku, met him. They told him that they had smelled sister Kagome's blood and followed the scent, only to find some blood on the ground and a dead bear. They had feared the worst for her. Kouga explained how he had gone to the human village to help repair her, and now they were back and she needed rest, which everyone took as a cue to get back to their own caves. Only Ginta remained, who took one last look, and spoke as he turned to run back with the others.

 

“It's a good thing you were there,” he said as he disappeared.

 

The words hung heavily on Kouga, who took the opportunity to run back to his cave. When he was alone, confident in the solitude of his cave, he laid Kagome on his bed. She stirred as he placed her on the soft pelts. Kouga became excited, hopeful that she might awaken. He lay next to her on the right side, so that there was no chance that he would harm her wound. He lay on his left side and watched as her eyes flitted open. It seemed like it took forever, but eventually they opened, albeit halfway. She saw that she was in a cave, and she looked to her left, then her right. Seeing Kouga, she tried to turn towards him. Mid-turn, she cried out in pain and he stopped her movement with one hand, rolling her so that she was on her back again. She sobbed.

 

“I… I had forgotten that I had gotten hurt. I just remembered being so scared…” she said between convulsive sobs, which made her move, which in turn made her cry harder in pain.

 

Kouga shushed her, running his hand over her hair. “Please, don't cry anymore, it will just hurt you more,” he said gently.

 

Kagome, eyes shut tightly, nodded and held her breath, trying to control the involuntary sobs. After a few moments, Kagome began to calm down to where she didn't hurt by crying. Kouga's strokes soothed her. She became very tired again.

 

Kouga was relieved that she had calmed. Hopefully she'll remember the next time she wakes up… he thought. She had done enough crying for one day. He thought back to the events of the day. We saved a boy, I died, Kagome saved me, then Kagome gets mauled and I wasn't there. I wasn't there…

 

He must have whimpered, because Kagome had opened her eyes again. She watched as he appeared to be fighting back tears.

 

She closed her eyes again, but reached a hand towards Kouga's face, caressing it.

 

“Don't worry,” she said, smiling softly as she drifted off to sleep. “I'm never leaving you.”

Chapter End Notes:
So sorry for all the stuff I've put you through, Kagome  ^_^;;