- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

On their journey, things heat up again for the pair, but this time they're stopped by emotions...

SEMI-LEMONY

 

Always

Chapter 10

 

They had been on the road for about three hours when Kouga began to notice that Kagome was lagging behind. He had barely noticed it - he surmised that she had hidden it well, catching herself doing it, then speeding up. Kouga, lost in his own thoughts, had only now noticed, so he wondered how long this had been going on. But what to do? The girl was stubborn - he knew that if he asked her if she wanted to be carried, she would only argue more. So instead, he simply slowed until they were side-by-side, then he quickly got behind her and scooped her up.

 

“Hey!” she said angrily, “What's the big idea?”

 

“Don't argue with me. I saw you getting behind, and I thought it would be nice to carry you for a while, since you're hurt…” he answered.

 

“But…” she started.

 

“Ah, ah, ah… No arguing.”

 

Like a child who was just told `No' in a toy store, Kagome just folded her arms and pouted, which made Kouga chuckle.

 

The sound of his laughter made Kagome smile, and since she couldn't be mad at him anymore, she threw her arms around his neck and pressed her face into the crook of his neck.

 

“Thank you,” she said quietly. Kouga just smiled. Suddenly bringing her head upright again and a stern look on her face made Kouga stop in his tracks. “But, if you're carrying me, I want you to promise me something,” she said.

 

Kouga nodded in apprehension.

 

“Until your leg is healed fully, I don't want you to run,” she said, crossing her arms again.

 

“But…” he began.

 

“Ah, ah, ah… no arguing!” she said playfully.

 

Kouga laughed and agreed. He began walking again, and Kagome settled back into her spot between his chin and collarbone. They walked for about three more hours, talking to each other about families and childhoods, when Kouga abruptly flipped Kagome so that she was standing again. Worried that she was too heavy, Kagome began to speak, but Kouga, knowing her well, stopped her and told her that they were to make camp here. It was a good location; there was a rock wall, and an area thick with trees, so that they were guarded on two sides. Kagome nodded her approval, and they began preparations. Kouga told Kagome that he would find them something to eat and fetch water, and Kagome began to find wood for a fire. She succeeded in building a fire, and began to spread out her bedroll, and laid out a few furs for Kouga, which he had asked her to bring. As the sun became lower in the sky, she noticed how cool it was becoming. She shivered, despite the fact that she had jeans and a turtleneck on. She inspected her clothes. Her cream colored sweater was still clean. I guess riding in the arms of a youkai will do that, she giggled to herself. Her hip hugging jeans were a little dirty on the front part of the leg where she had laid in the dirt after her spat with InuYasha, but not so dirty that she had to wash them right away. She wanted to change into her pajamas, but would she be too cold? Should she just sleep in her clothes? Kagome told herself that she would worry about that when the time came. Now, with nothing better to do except wait for Kouga to come back, she sat against the rock wall, which was still warm from a day in the sun. Without Shippou to watch over, InuYasha to look after, and Miroku to watch out for, there wasn't much for her to do. Am I useless without my friends? Kagome had started to feel like she might stay with Kouga, but now she began to feel a pull in the other direction. Not towards InuYasha, specifically, but towards all her friends. Should she stay with her group? Did they need her? Or did she need Kouga more?

 

Kouga had taken Kagome's pot with him so that he could find water, but there weren't any streams nearby. He didn't smell any water for miles. But he couldn't go searching for water once he had their dinner, so he continued. He had been going West, but now he decided to change course and go South. Despite his promise to Kagome, whom, he noted, wasn't here, he needed to accomplish his tasks quickly. He didn't like leaving Kagome alone for long, and the sun was getting lower, but he was going to have to run to find the items on his invisible shopping list. He felt a chill in the air as the wind blew by, and he wondered if Kagome was warm enough. The wind shifted, coming from the south, and he smelled a pure, fresh water source. He ran towards it, and after several minutes, he found a crisp, clean, deep river. He tasted it, and it was so refreshing that he thought that this may be the river that Jinenji spoke of, the river that fed Hinna Lake. Were they close? The wolf demon filled the kettle with water and began to stand, but movement caught his eye. There was something moving in the water - two of them. He eyed them anxiously, wondering if they would leave or advance. He put the kettle down slowly, as to not startle the swimming figures. He froze when one turned in his direction, but it promptly turned back to its' partner and continued swimming. Kouga watched for his opportunity. He sprang into the cold water. He had to get them before…

 

Kagome, sitting against the warm rock but still feeling the chill advance, watched the setting sun. She wished her wolf prince could watch with her, but she knew that there would be more opportunities. She watched as the sky became an orange-red color, laced with pink and purple clouds. The clouds began to fade with the light, and she saw the moon rising in the east. The sky was quickly becoming purple and dark blue, the red and orange streaks barely a memory of the day that had passed. She was grateful for the fire, which had grown stronger as it settled into its' routine of crackling and snapping as it consumed its' ration of dead wood. Kagome threw more wood onto it, watching the flames jump with the excitement of the additional nourishment. She gazed into the fire, hypnotized by the dancing flames. A fierce wind suddenly wove its' way through their little camp, and the fire, unhappy with how it was being treated by the frosty opponent, crackled in its' displeasure. Despite the fact that she had just added some, Kagome decided to throw a few more sticks in. The fire seemed pleased, and Kagome, now huddling near the fire for warmth, was pleased that the wind had stopped. Suddenly, Kagome heard something approaching her from the south. But Kouga left going West… Her heart started to pound in anticipation, and she reached for her bow and quiver.

 

“Easy, priestess. I don't think you want to shoot me with that, ne?” a gruff voice said.

 

Kagome laughed, putting down her weapons, stood to attempt to see past the fire. She was both shocked and amused to see Kouga, soaked and looking bedraggled, coming towards her. She tried to stifle her laughter, but it seeped through until it wracked her small frame with vibrations and sound. Kouga watched her roll on the floor, a smirk on his lips.

 

“You find this funny?” he asked her.

 

“Oh, ha ha, v-very much s-so, ha ha ha!” she said between the conquering laughter.

 

He stood there, waiting for her to finish, and when she seemed to calm down a bit, he placed his parcels down. Kagome watched him, finally able to stifle the laughter. She motioned for him to sit next to her, and he obeyed. Now, with only a gentle smile, Kagome ran her hands through his bangs, then his hair, smoothing them. She picked a twig out, and began to undo the straps to his chest armor. She tossed it so that it was close enough to the fire that it would dry quickly. He watched her intently, wondering what she intended to do. His chest now glistening with water droplets from the river, Kagome reached into her bag for a towel and finding it, she dried Kouga with it. He only watched her, and decided to not make any moves. When he was dry, she coyly ran a single index finger along his chest, making him shudder, both from the pleasure of being touched by her, and the chilly air. Kagome noticed him shiver, but she didn't feel as cold anymore. In fact, her face felt quite warm, and so did the space between her thighs. The feeling was intoxicating; there was a tingling in her abdomen and a butterfly-like feeling that surrounded her. She looked into Kouga's eyes, knowing he wasn't going to move, and she leaned up and kissed him fiercely. He was surprised with the eagerness of the kiss, but he didn't question it. He simply kissed her back, also drunk with not only the feelings he had for her, but the smell that she radiated with. But still, she didn't seem ready. So he tried to lower the intensity of the kiss until it was a slow, gentle kiss. He wasn't ready to let go of her tongue. They fit together perfectly, caressing and dancing around each other in a slow, passionate rhythm. But, it was going to get much colder soon. And he had to make sure she ate; her wounds still had much healing to do. So he broke the kiss, and he hated the pleading, wordless look she gave him. Kouga flashed one of his wolfy grins at her, and she smiled back. She had been concerned that he had once again been the one to separate them, but that thought left her mind when she saw what he did next. He took the cups she had laid out and filled them with water, then placed the kettle over the fire. Kagome noticed how handsome he was in the dancing fire-light. Without his armor on he almost looked normal. Except for that tail… she thought humorously. He showed her a large package wrapped in leaves. Curiously, she looked on as he opened it. Inside, she found two large, filleted, clean fish. She looked up at him, smiling.“Is that what happened to you? These fish kicked your butt, huh?” she said, laughing.

 

Kouga enjoyed seeing her like this. “Yeah. We don't usually eat fish. We like red meat. But they were right there, in the river, so…”

 

Kagome nodded knowingly. “Okay! Fish it is!” she said, throwing the fish into the now warm water.

 

Kagome tended to the meal, adding salt that she carried in her pack, while Kouga surveyed the campsite. He noticed that she had gotten ready for bed except for changing. She had been cold. But she seemed okay when he had gotten back to camp. And she had seemed more than okay when she kissed him. The memory of that kiss stirred some feelings, and he quelled them, focusing on her bed, which he could tell she had slept in for a long time. It also smelled like the kitsune, Shippou. On the other hand, she had also laid out several furs, close to her bed. They smelled like both of them. He wondered why she had placed them separately. He asked her about it, and she had giggled nervously, telling him that she had been used to sleeping in the bag while on a mission, and she also thought he would do the same. He walked over to her, and she stood. He grabbed her by the waist and pulled her close, and her hands went up automatically, touching his bare, warm chest. She enjoyed watching him shiver from the touch, and the warmth that emanated from where their skin met was inviting. He kissed her gently and quickly, not letting it escalate. He told her that he would rather spend the night cuddling and keeping her warm, and Kagome smiled.

 

“I guess I'll be able to wear my PJ's after all!” she said, much to Kouga's confusion.

 

She explained about PJ's, and why they were called that, and he listened intently. Soon, the fish was cooked, and they ate quickly, both eager to get to bed. After they cleaned up, Kagome grabbed her tank top and short-shorts and set about undressing, her back to Kouga. She pulled her sweater off first, and Kouga admired the lines of her body. He wondered what the strap that ran across her back and shoulder was, but didn't want to push his luck. She smiled coyly at him over her shoulder, and he gave her a ravenous growl. She prickled her nose with the smile that formed on her lips. As she felt the heat of his stare, she began to undo her jeans. Kagome thought his eyes were going pop out of his head as he watched her slip the jeans down over her hips, revealing her black bikini cut underwear. Kouga wanted to go to her, and he began to get onto his feet, but she cast a frown his way, and he sat back down. Still with her back facing the demon, Kagome slid her jeans the rest of the way down her slender legs. Deliberately, she bent over slowly and pulled the jeans off from around her ankles. She tossed the denim aside, refusing to look at him again. But she could feel his gaze burning all over her body. She felt so alive; the electricity of wanting coursing through her body. Still bent, she reached for the top and shorts that she had laid on her makeshift bed, but she froze when she felt a clawed hand on her outstretched arm. She hadn't even heard him stir, but after all, he was the famously fast Kouga; her heart sped up as she realized she was losing control of the situation she had created. They both stood slowly; Kouga's arm slid to her shoulder and she shivered, thinking of what may come. Her shiver reached his fingers, and it sent a static wave through his nerves. He used his right hand to pull her hair aside, and as he lowered his lips towards her flesh, the salty smell of her perspiration drove him wild with need. He put his mouth to her right shoulder and bit down gently, letting the tips of his fangs graze against her skin. Kagome gasped with the surprise of the new sensation wracking her body, and the feeling lifted her on her toes. Kouga smiled, pleased with her body's reaction to him. He could smell her excitement, and he thought that he wouldn't be able to contain himself. He ran both of his hands down her body, starting at her shoulders, and running down her sides, slowing to an excruciatingly painful pace when he got to her waist. She pushed her body close to his, rubbing against him slightly. Unable to control himself, Kouga bit her again, more towards her collarbone, and she moaned with pleasure. The sound kept his hands running slowly down to her hips, bending when his arms could go no more. When he reached her thighs, he began to run his hands up the same path. Kagome's body took control, overwhelmed with desire. She bucked lightly into him, and he hissed in his pleasure, closing his blue eyes. Kagome relished knowing how her movements and sounds made him react. She felt his hands stop at her hips, and she bucked against him again, the movement sending his hands to her rear. He became shocked for an instant, unable to move. But in one bold movement, he cupped her ass, squeezing gently, and Kagome attempted to grind against him. She wasn't prepared for the erection she felt when she pushed herself hard against his body, but she adjusted quickly, moaning with the feeling it generated. Now, Kouga gave a low, throaty growl, driving Kagome wild with lust. They rubbed their bodies together slowly, and Kouga's hands were exploring her body on their own. His left hand found her breast, and as he took hold of it, Kagome leaned her head back so that it was resting on his right shoulder. Her chest heaved as she breathed heavily, occasionally moaning. Kouga traced a claw over the lace that was her bra. Once again, he bit her neck, sucking gently so that his fangs held some of her flesh. The wolf prince's right hand found her stomach, and he pawed at her abs, leaving a trail of claw marks. He left her neck to find her ear, which he nibbled, also letting his fangs trail. Kagome could hear his quickened breath, and she was delighted to hear him gasp when she made small, slow circles against his hardness with her ass. Kouga made a sound that the priestess couldn't understand, and he finally lost control when she tilted her head slightly so that her mouth was near his ear, as her breathy voice took shape.

 

“Kouga…” she whispered.

 

His sanity gone, the wolf youkai grabbed her by the hips and spun her around. No sooner than she was facing him, he grabbed her head and they met in a forceful, deep kiss. Hungrily, they swirled their tongues, and they consumed each other, each trying to please the other, and also trying to satisfy themselves. Kagome wrapped her arms around Kouga's neck, and impulsively jumped up and wrapped her legs around the demon's waist; their needs now directly rubbing against each other, they continued to feed off the others' lust. Kouga walked forward a few steps over the sleeping bag, pushing Kagome's back up against the rock wall. The miko lifted one hand, running along Kouga's hair until she came across the binding that held his hair into a ponytail. She pulled at it, releasing his hair. She broke the kiss to look at him with his hair down, and ran the same hand through the dark brown locks. She realized that with his hair down, he looked more like a king than a prince; he looked… regal. She turned her attention to his face, focusing on his icy blue eyes. Even though his body was telling her `I want you', his eyes were saying `I love you'. She kissed him, running both her hands through his hair now, but the emotion of what she had just felt was overpowering. As their tongues danced around each other, a tear rolled down Kagome's cheek. Kouga, knowing full well what Kagome's tears smell like, opened his eyes again and pulled back a bit to look at her face. He brought a hand to her face, smearing the tear, only to have it followed by another. He looked at her, bewildered.

 

“I… I'm sorry…” she stammered, more tears now joining their predecessors.

 

“No,” he said roughly. With a stern look, he told her that he knew she wouldn't be ready, and he would never push her.

 

“That's just it!” she cried. “I… I wanted to. I was ready. But I saw this look…”

 

“I'm sorry. Did I frighten you?” he interrupted.

 

“No! Just listen, Kouga!” she yelled, frustrated. He nodded, listening. “The look I saw… it told me that no matter if I was ready or not, you would still love me. Even though you want us to consummate our relationship, you would wait until I was ready. And it just made me so happy…” She began to sob now, trembling with emotion.

 

Kouga held her tightly, embracing her; they were still in the same position, her legs wrapped around his waist and her back against solid rock. He ran his hand through her hair repeatedly, trying to soothe her, waiting for her to control her emotions. “I do love you. Always.” He lifted himself away from her slightly, lifting her chin with one hand and smoothing her face with the other.

 

He waited for her to reciprocate, but she just sobbed. Disappointed but not disheartened, he held her close, then began to release her as her as her sobs became few between. Noticing that she was practically naked, Kouga picked up her pajama set and handed it to her.

 

Kagome had now noticed how cold it was, and considered the time of night it may be. She was holding herself, trying to keep warm, when Kouga handed her the pajamas. She thanked him with a kiss, and she quickly put them on, taking the bra off once her tank top was fully on. Kouga marveled at her ability to twist and turn within her clothes, but as soon as she finished gathering her clothes and folding them for tomorrow, Kouga could see that she was shivering. Quickly, he picked her up in his arms and slid her into the sleeping bag. Although it would have been warm, her already-cold body wasn't warming up too swiftly. He gathered the furs that had been strewn next to the bedroll and placed a few on top of it. He could hear her teeth chatter as he got into the sleeping bag, bringing the last few furs in with him. He placed one under the priestess, and one under himself; the last he rolled into a pillow for them. Still shivering, he took her into his arms and whispered into her ear that she was going to be fine, that she would warm up immediately. And she did. She stopped chattering, and then stopped shivering. Soon, she was able to simply cuddle with him; her head nestled under his chin, their arms wrapped around each other. And so the wolf prince and the miko, warm and content, fell asleep, drinking in each others' scent.