Always by PitaBread
Summary: [Kouga/Kagome] Kagome, fed up with InuYasha's inability to choose between Kikyou and herself, goes back to her time. After a week, and InuYasha doesn't come, she goes back to the feudal era and finds none other than Kouga waiting for her - and he needs her help again!
Categories: Angst/ Drama, Action/ Adventure, Romance, Adult, Romance > Kouga/ Kagome Characters: Inu Yasha, Kagome Higurashi, Kagome's Mom, Kirara, Kouga, Miroku, Sango, Shippo, Souta Higurashi
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 44082 Read: 91017 Published: 15 Sep 2007 Updated: 31 Oct 2007
Story Notes:
Kagome remebers why she went back home, and worries about the fact that InuYasha hasn't come for her.

1. Chapter 1 by PitaBread

2. Chapter 2 by PitaBread

3. Chapter 3 by PitaBread

4. Chapter 4 by PitaBread

5. Chapter 5 by PitaBread

6. Chapter 6 by PitaBread

7. Chapter 7 by PitaBread

8. Chapter 8 by PitaBread

9. Chapter 9 by PitaBread

10. Chapter 10 by PitaBread

11. Chapter 11 by PitaBread

12. Chapter 12 by PitaBread

12. Chapter 12 by PitaBread

Chapter 1 by PitaBread

Chapter One

“Kagome… don't go,” he pleaded.

“I'm sorry, InuYasha, but you really hurt me. I need to go back. I don't know when I'll be back, I have a lot of catching up to do…” she told him coldly.

Speechless and defeated, InuYasha hung his head, and watched his companion jump down the well that would bring her back to her time. Damn… he thought. Why can't I just choose one?! He waited there for a few moments, hoping that maybe, just maybe… she hadn't gone through. But she had. The well was empty. I'm not going after her. If she wants to be there, then let her stay there! The faint smell of dirt and clay reminded him why she was so angry.

 ***

The night before last, everyone had been preparing to go to bed when InuYasha noticed that smell on the wind. Graveyard soil and clay. Only he knew who was traveling near them. Whether or not it was on purpose, he didn't know. Does she know we're here? Is she looking for me? InuYasha stared into the distance from the tree he was sitting in.

“Hey, Inu Yasha”, Shippou taunted. “What's wrong? Want a bone? Hahahaha!” he teased.

Unlike himself, he just told the little fox demon to be quiet, although angrily, and went back to staring.

Shippou looked at Kagome, who had just noticed what was going on. She looked up at InuYasha, but he didn't look back. Something was on his mind. Kagome thought she would ask him when they were a little more… alone. She set her bedroll down and Shippou prepared to leap into it. As they settled in, Kagome looked up again at InuYasha. He seemed so… solemn. Sango gave her a warm smile that she returned. Miroku and Shippou fell fast asleep, and soon Sango nodded off as well, but Kagome only pretended to sleep. After a while, InuYasha jumped down a little ways off from the campsite, and even though her first instinct was to out to him, Kagome lay quiet and motionless. After a few minutes, she looked up to find InuYasha gone, and she could have sworn she saw one of Kikyou's soul collectors slip out from atop the forest canopy. If he went to see Kikyou… I'll… I'll just… I'm gonna KILL HIM! she ranted in her mind, scowling. She found it hard to go to sleep; Kagome tossed and turned, although Shippou, whom the miko shares her bed with was not in the least bit disturbed.

In the morning, Kagome awoke to find InuYasha sitting on the ground against the same tree he had been in last night. He didn't look particularly sad or lonely. He was just… him. So Kagome, cheating thoughts aside, went about her day. She made breakfast for everyone, and afterwards, Sango helped her clean up as the men worked on an itinerary for the day. Kagome felt her mood sour just hearing them talk.

“We've been traveling west for sometime now, InuYasha,” Miroku stated. “We should change direction. Maybe we could fool some of the demons into thinking we're still going west, and perhaps we can get a sacred jewel shard or two,” he explained proudly.

Kagome was losing her temper.

“Keh, those demons are stupid anyways, so that might work…” he answered.

Kagome growled under her breath, but Sango still managed to hear it.

“What's bothering you, Kagome?” she asked.

Kagome sighed. “Oh, I don't know, Sango. I may be overreacting,” Kagome whined.

Sango nodded, understanding that Kagome needed a little more… privacy in order to speak about what was troubling her.

“We're going to go wash our faces really quick in the stream,” Sango said to the men, grabbing Kagome's hand and pulling her in the direction of the water.

“But…” InuYasha started.

“Since you two are still planning our day,” she finished.

InuYasha huffed, crossed his arms, and nodded.

“Okay, but be quick.”

They were already halfway there.  At the small brook, Sango asked Kagome again about her troubles. Kagome explained what happened the night before.

“That cheating bastard!” Sango said, clenching a fist and gritting her teeth. “When we get back…”

“No,” Kagome said quietly. “We haven't seen her in so long, yet somehow she always appears, or InuYasha seeks her out. Our lives are always so… intertwined! If he wants to be with her… then I'll just have to move on.”

“But Kagome, you told us that you would stay… even though you knew he wasn't going to let Kikyou go.”

“Well, I never said I was leaving leaving!” Kagome said brightly. “I think I may go home for a bit. Let him sweat a little. It'll really make me feel better!”

“Well, I'm not stopping you,” the demonslayer said. “But promise me you'll come back soon!” she continued, blushing slightly.

“Oh, I'll miss you too, Sango!” Kagome said, hugging her friend. “You're one of my very best friends. And you make traveling with those two bearable!” she said, smiling.

The girls walked back to camp; Miroku was praying on a hilltop and InuYasha was scowling under the tree. Shippou bounded towards them.

“Heya, Kagome! Are we leaving now?” the kitsune asked.InuYasha noticed their arrival. “What took you two so long?” he growled.

They ignored him, which only made him angrier. Sango grabbed her Hiraikotsu and strapped it to her back and asked Kirara if she was ready, to which the demon cat responded with a mew. Miroku, just coming out of his trance, began walking toward them, picking up his staff and joining Sango. Shippou watched as Kagome rolled up her sleeping bag and packed her stuff into her book bag.

“What is up with you two?!” he yelled. InuYasha glanced over at Miroku, who shrugged.

When they were done packing, Kirara took Kagome back to the well, InuYasha following, hollering the whole time.

And now Kagome was traveling back to her own time, grateful for her bed and looking forward to seeing her friends. No, she thought, my friends from my time. It's not fair to my friends in the feudal era. She mentally made a list of all the things she wanted to do as she climbed out of the well, and was greeted by her calico cat, Buyo.

“Mrrrrrow?” the cat said.

Kagome reached down to pick him up and marched to the house, daydreaming of onigiris, warm baths, and soft pillows

Chapter 2 by PitaBread
Author's Notes:

 

 A/N: Sorry it's short.  Whenever there's a short chapter, it's because I simply accomplished what I had wanted to in that chapter. 

 

Chapter 2

 

 

 

 

Five days had passed, and Kagome was both surprised and… not. She was surprised that InuYasha had not come to get her, but at the same time, she wasn't surprised because lately he had been thinking more and more about Kikyou. She went through her life - going to school, spending time with her friends, and now she was supposed to go to a movie with Houjou. She didn't really want to, she knew she wouldn't be able to focus on the plot, but she had said yes because her three meddling yet sweet friends had pushed her into it. So now she was trudging - practically dragging - herself home. She had to get ready for the date, and then she wanted to pack so that she could go back to the Sengoku Jidai.

 

Home at last, Kagome told her mother of her plans, who nodded supportively. Mom, she thought. You're the only one who ALWAYS supports me, even though you know I must be having a tough time. Kagome went upstairs and took a shower, dried herself, and began to pick out her outfit. She decided on a pink dress, and had a light green sweater to go with it, since she always got cold in the movie theatre. Happy with her selection, she began picking out things to bring with her to the Feudal Era. OK, I've got my brush… my shampoo… soap… extra underwear, socks… what else?

 

Satisfied with the contents of her pack, Kagome went back to the bathroom to look herself over again in the mirror. She ran her fingers through her hair and straightened her dress. She looked at the items in a small basket on her sink counter. Poking out, as if begging to be brought along, she eyed a small tube of strawberry lip gloss. She picked it up, examined it as if wondering how it got there, then applied it to her lips. Still staring at it, she brought it over to her back pack, and slipped it into a pocket. Kagome left the bag on her bed and left to meet Houjou at the theatre.

 

 

She hadn't had the worst time, she admitted to herself, but there was so much on her mind. Kagome had paid enough attention to the movie to hold a conversation with Houjou, but there were a hundred other thoughts racing through her mind. I wonder why InuYasha didn't come for me… Was it because of Kikyou? Or because he's too proud to admit he's wrong. That's probably what it is. When he knows he wasn't right about something and I'm mad, he gets all embarrassed and proud. Just like… Sesshoumaru. I hope they aren't too far tomorrow when I go back. Maybe they'll be waiting for me. Maybe I should leave tonight, so I can get a head start? Yeah, I should…

 

“…me?”

 

Kagome snapped back to reality.

 

“Kagome-chan? Are you okay? You haven't heard I thing I was saying! Are you feeling ill? Do you need to go home?” Houjou streamed out.

 

Blushing slightly, Kagome nodded. She didn't like all the lying she had to do, but sometimes it was better this way.

 

“Yes, I'm sorry, Houjou-san. I'm not feeling well. Thank you for being concerned,” she said genuinely.

 

Houjou smiled and nodded, and walked her home.

 

When they arrived at the front gate to the Higurashi home, Kagome looked longingly to her bedroom window as Houjou stared at her and beamed.

 

“Arigatou, Kagome-chan. Thank you for coming with me, even though you don't feel well.” Houjou said, placing his hands on her shoulders. Kagome could feel that they were sweaty. He must be nervous. Just what was he thinking that made him so jittery?

 

Kagome laughed nervously. “You're welcome, Houjou-san,” she said, mustering a sickly smile out of her bag-`o-lies.

 

Houjou had still to remove his hands from her self. She looked at his left hand, then up at him.

 

“O…oh! Excuse me! Gomen nasai, Kagome-chan!” he stammered, lifting his hands and rushing them to his sides.

 

Smiling, Kagome nodded. “It's okay, Houjou-san. Arigatou, I had a good time. But I have to get to bed.”

 

“Of course!” he said, protectively. “I'll see you soon, bye!” he said as he turned and waved, walking away.

 

Kagome slumped. She was exhausted. The lies, trying to keep up with the movies' plot, thinking about InuYasha… it was all too much. She walked into the house, grateful that no one was about. Walking upstairs and into her room, Kagome thought about her previous plan to go back to the Feudal Era tonight. Should I go now? she thought. Kagome looked longingly at her bed. She was so very tired. I can take a nap and go in an hour or so, she mused. So, without changing into her pajamas, Kagome just laid on her bed, next to her pack, and fell asleep.

 

 

When Kagome woke up, she stretched, looked outside and realized it was still dark.

 

“Uh…” she grunted sleepily. It's still dark… I'm going back to sleep… she told herself, and closed her eyes…

 

“EEEEEEEEEEE!” she squealed. “Omigosh! What time is it?”

 

Kagome looked at the clock on her night table. Three `o clock… well, it's definitely longer than I planned, but at least I didn't sleep through the night. She jumped up, grabbed her bag, and turned off the light as she silently crept throughout the house, making her way to the kitchen. There she went through cupboards and the refrigerator for foods. She packed what she needed, and left the house. Looking back at the house as she entered the well house, she sighed. Then she went inside, shut the door, climbed the wells' rim, and jumped.

 

Climbing up the rim of the well was no easy task with the weight of the backpack, and it didn't make it any easier that InuYasha had not been there waiting for her. She knew it was unlikely, but deep down, she hoped he would be there. Kagome heaved the backpack over the edge of the well and pulled herself out. Whew… you would think I was getting stronger and it would get easier, but it doesn't, and obviously I haven't gotten stronger… she half-scolded herself. She went to brush off her dress and knees and… dress?! Dress?!?! I came here… in my DRESS?! Panicking, Kagome wondered how this happened. But I… oh, yeah. I never changed, and rushed out. At least I'm not wearing my pj's… she thought, laughing quietly. She continued to brush herself off when she felt a gust of wind. Kagome looked up to find a familiar pair of bright blue eyes dancing happily at her.

Chapter 3 by PitaBread
Author's Notes:

 

Kouga asks Kagome for help with his sick tribe, and she has a big fight with InuYasha.

 

Chapter 3

 

 

 

 

“Oh! H… hi, Kouga!” Kagome stammered.

 

“Hey, Kagome!” The wolf prince beamed at her.

 

Kagome always felt better whenever Kouga was around. He had such a genuine care for her. If only I had met Kouga first… wait. Ha ha… if I had met Kouga first, I'd be dead. He didn't care for humans back then. That's right. Kouga's pack used to kill humans, now he protects them… because of me. But… InuYasha does that too, now…

 

“Um, what were you doing in that well, Kagome?” he said with confused, icy eyes.

 

Oh yeah, he doesn't really know…

 

Kagome tried her best to explain things, so to not freak him out with the absurdity of it all. “I know, it must seem ridiculous, but…”

 

“So, that's why you dress… differently than the other girls,” he said carefully, as to not offend the woman he cared for.

 

Kagome smiled wholeheartedly. Kouga was so much more sensitive than InuYasha. She was also amazed at his understanding. For some reason, she expected him to think she was half-crazed, but then again, more people here were understanding than in her time.

 

Kouga was very pleased with the smile she had on her lovely face. He loved making her smile. He suddenly realized he could wake up next to that smile every morning. He had always really liked her, and constantly and tenaciously asked for her hand to join the Demon Wolf Tribe and become his woman, but until now, he hadn't realized the feeling. Deep, in his stomach, and in his chest, there was… pain - no, pressure. Like he was being squeezed by a giant demon snake. What was this feeling?

 

Kagome watched Kouga's face change emotion. She wondered what he thought as his face had gone from joy, to wonder, to sheer terror. No, he didn't look scared, per say, but his eyes… they spoke to her, like a piano speaks to its' audience. He took her hands, as always, and Kagome was happy to have the old Kouga back.

 

“What's wrong, Kouga?” she asked.

 

Kouga, now looking a little embarrassed, squirmed. “Nothing, Kagome”, I just realized how much I like you… “I was just thinking…”

 

“Well, I could see that, silly!” she said, giggling merrily.

 

Kouga laughed, and Kagome loved how it sounded. InuYasha never laughed with her. He was always laughing at her. She realized she liked talking with Kouga, and wondered why she didn't do it more often…

 

“HEY! Get your dirty paws off her, you mangy wolf!” Kagome and Kouga turned toward the angry voice, both knowing exactly who it was.

 

Oh yeah, THAT'S why…

 

“Kagome's not complaining, so back off, baka…” the demon wolf said.

 

“Maybe YOU aren't listening hard enough, baka…” came the reply.

 

“I WAS listening - you should try it sometime, baka!” Kouga growled.

 

“Then you wouldn't be touching her if you had heard, would you, BAKA!?” InuYasha yelled.

 

Kagome rubbed her temples.

 

“InuYasha, osuwari,” came the command that brought the half-demon crashing into the dirt.

 

“Aw, Kagome, what was that fo…” InuYasha complained, but he was cut off by the throbbing vein in Kagomes' forehead.

 

“What gives you the right to tell me what I want, when you can't even decide what YOU want?!” she yelled, tears welling up in her eyes.

 

Kagome whirled and ran into the forest, leaving Kouga stunned, and InuYasha looking as if he had just been hit by a truck. Kouga turned to look at InuYasha again, scowling. He ran in the direction Kagome had gone. InuYasha stayed where he was, the impact of her words hitting him over and over again. Damn… she's still mad. And that stupid wolf is around. I can't even talk to her with him around. InuYasha finally stood, and jumped away, towards Kaedes' village.

 

Kagome was fully crying, and branches were tearing at her in her blind run, making her cry more, which was making her run into branches more… the dark of night in the forest didn't help. Kouga had caught up to her easily, but he stayed behind, giving her time to calm. When she finally stopped running, he watched her. His wolf eyes saw easily in the darkness. Luckily for the human, it was a full moon, and it shone brightly. He noticed that instead of the white and green outfit she usually wore, she was wearing something pink. He liked the color on her. It showed how feminine and beautiful she was… Kouga felt the pressure again, accompanied by another feeling. This feeling was more like a burning, and it made his hearing difficult, like he was near the ocean. His thoughts were fuzzy, and he could swear he was blushing. Kouga shook his head to clear his thoughts, but it only half-helped. He tried to think about why they were here, then focused on her sobbing. He approached her.

 

“Kagome?” he said wincing, his voice shaking, partially because of these strange feelings, and partially because he didn't want to incur the wrath that the hanyou had achieved. He expected her to turn around angrily, telling him to leave her alone. It was almost customary for females…

 

“Oh, Kouga…” Kagome turned, but threw her arms around his neck, burying her face in his shoulder.

 

Kouga was stunned. He looked down at her and felt the warm tears partner themselves with his skin, and it made him shudder, ever so slightly. He opted to let her speak first.

 

Kagome sobbed for a few more minutes, thinking of her pain, her heartache, and the physical pain she still felt from the whipping branches. Suddenly, she realized she was crying… on Kouga's shoulder.

 

“Oh… I'm so sorry…” she said, sniffling and backing up a little.

 

“It's okay,” he reassured her. “You can always cry on me,” he said, smiling slightly and closing the gap between them. He brushed some of the tears from her face. Kagome blushed, but she realized that she wasn't blushing out of embarrassment. It was… something else. Kouga noticed the blush, and stepped back.

 

“So, what happened?” Kouga asked, a genuinely worried look on his face.

 

“Oh, nothing,” she replied. “Stupid InuYasha. I promised I would stick by him, even though I know I'm only second to Kikyou. It'll always be like that. I… I just hoped I could change. That… he… would change. But, I'll always be… the replacement,” she said, looking at the grass beneath her feet.

 

She looked up, and was stunned by what she saw. Kouga had been listening, and never shouted about InuYasha, or ran away to fight with him as usual. Instead, he just stared at her, a look that was anger, concern, and betrayal all mixed into one sad face.

 

He wanted to say it. He wanted to say so many things. You're not her. You're not a replacement. You're not second to me. I want you all to myself. I want you, not someone who looks like you. I want you... But she was already going through so much. He didn't want to make it worse for her.

 

Kagome could tell he was holding something back. The look on his face made her hurt more than what she was already thinking about. But he was holding it in, whatever he wanted to say. She realized that he probably wanted to say something that might make her cry again, and he didn't want that. He was being… selfless. She smiled, and wrapped her arms around him again.

 

Surprised, Kouga picked her up, and started walking her back towards Kaede's village. Well, he didn't WANT to be selfish, but by not running, at least he was getting a little extra time with her…

 

Kagome didn't resist. It was a nice change, riding in his strong arms, rather than riding InuYasha like he was a pack animal. Well, he IS an ass… she thought, giggling, visualizing InuYasha as a mule, with dog ears instead of donkey ones, and a red haori…

 

“Well, I'm glad to see you a little happier,” Kouga said in his deep voice, smiling.

 

“Yeah, I feel a little better, thanks,” she said, smiling genuinely and pressing her cheek into the crook of his neck.

 

Kouga's blood began to boil, feeling the proximity of Kagome's mouth close to his neck. He would only have to turn his face to kiss her… but, he wouldn't. Not because he couldn't, but it would be wrong to force her. He wanted her to love him as he was, not forced upon. Instead, he turned his head toward her, but made sure he gave enough distance so that she wouldn't feel forced or awkward. He smiled at her, and she smiled back weakly. The sun would be rising soon…

 

After a few minutes of silence, Kouga had almost thought for sure that Kagome had fallen asleep, when he heard her speak.

 

“Kouga… with everything that happened, you never told me why you were by the well…” Kagome stated.

 

The smile gone, Kouga watched his legs move as he walked. Kagome noticed his instant change of mood.

 

“Hai…,” he agreed. “I, uh… that is, I came for your help. I went to the village where I saw the houshi, and he told me you had gone for a while, and that if I wanted to I could wait for your return by the well. At the time, I thought he just meant you would pass by it…” he laughed, half-heartedly.

 

“Ah, you mean Miroku. Yes, well, I'm glad I got to explain it to you. Well, why were you searching for me? Or were you just trying to upset InuYasha?” she giggled, until she saw the solemn look on Kouga's face.

 

Kagome reached up and touched his cheek, making him shiver. “What's wrong, Kouga?” she asked, worriedly.

 

“My… tribe. It's… there's something… some kind of illness is attacking them. The stronger adults are okay, but the elders… and the children…” Kouga kept staring at his feet.

 

Kagome gasped. “Oh! Why didn't you say something before?!”

 

“Well, at first I was happy to see you. I didn't want to outright ask for help. I wanted to spend time with you. Then, you were so upset with that stupid mutt.” Kouga's determined look regained itself.

 

“Thank you, Kouga,” Kagome smiled, “but now we need to talk about your wolf pack. What kind of disease is it?”

 

“Well, it's like a stupid little cold, but they get high fevers, although they shake as if they're cold… and sometimes they act like they can't breathe…” he said sadly. “We've already lost a few children. We treated it as we would normally treat a fever, but nothing works.”

 

Kagome was on the brink of crying again. “Oh, no…” Kagome tried to think. High fever, chills, can't breathe… it sounds familiar… “What about eating? Are they eating? Or being sick?”

 

“Ah, yeah. They stop eating after a while, then they get sick, but nothing comes out because they haven't eaten!” he exclaimed. He watched Kagome's face intently.

 

A light bulb practically went off in Kagome's head. “I got it!” she said, scaring Kouga. “Ha ha, sorry,” she said with a weak smile that he returned. “I think I know what it is. My little brother had something that sounds just like it when he was young. He almost died.”

 

“You… you have a younger brother?” Kouga said, blinking.

 

“Well, yeah!” Kagome answered. “I live with him, my mom, and my grandfather. He's my dads' dad. My dad died when I was younger,” Kagome spilled like a sack of rice. “Oh, I'm sorry! I tend to talk too much!”

 

“No, I like to hear you talk, Kagome. And I like to hear about your family,” he said softly.

 

Kagome smiled at him, and laid her head back unto his shoulder, again placing her lips close to his neck, not realizing the effect it had on him.

 

There's that feeling again…

Chapter 4 by PitaBread
Author's Notes:

 

Stubborn InuYasha refuses to go after Kagome, and gets mad when Kouga pays her a little extra attention. She announces to her friends that she will be going to Kouga's den to help his tribe, and they start their journey.

 

Chapter 4

 

 

 

 

Sango was pacing on Kaede's kitchen floor.

 

“So, she yelled at you and ran off, and Kouga went after her? Well, she can't be in too much danger then. Kouga wouldn't let anything happen to Kagome,” the taijiya said.

 

“Yes, InuYasha. I'm sure she'll be along soon,” Miroku said soothingly.

 

“Who's worried? I'm not worried! So what if she went off into the forest? If she doesn't wanna come back then she can stay in her own damn time!” InuYasha shouted.

 

“Gnnn…” Shippou said sleepily. “Why are you yelling InuYasha? Oh, Kagome's still not back, huh?” he continued, rubbing his eyes.

 

With a smack to Shippou's head, InuYasha started to the door. “I wasn't yelling! And I don't care about that stupid Kagome!”

 

He left, and the three friends looked at each other.

 

“Wow, is he in denial or what?” Shippou commented.

 

“No, he just doesn't want anyone to know about his feelings for her. He wants everyone to think he's fearless, that he's emotionally hardened,” Sango explained.

 

“Mmm, and yet all of his enemies, especially Naraku, know exactly what his feelings are, and specifically target Kagome because of it,” Miroku added.

 

They all nodded their heads in agreement.

 

InuYasha stomped around. He really had nothing to do. He didn't want to sit around, but the thought of traveling without his companions was… strange. He climbed a tree near Kaede's home and sat on a branch. Kuso, I hate this. I hate doing this to Kagome. And I'm sure Kikyou doesn't like it either. We're all… stuck. Unless I choose someone. Then one of them can be free. But Kagome… she'll never be free. I already know how she feels. She even promised to be near me even though she knows I still care for Kikyou. But then why does she get so mad? I feel like I'm at a crossing, and there are two paths and I have to choose which one I want to take. Kikyou… Kikyou was my first love… but, she is undead. Do I have a future with the undead? Maybe the only future of that road is to die. But Kagome… Kagome is so full of life, so… lively and happy… Happy… is she really happy? Or does she pretend, because she wants to be near me?

 

As if on cue, Kouga came through the forest then, carrying Kagome. InuYasha's nose twitched. He's here.

 

Kouga smelled his way towards Kaede's home. Miroku was just stepping out to stretch in the sunlight.

 

“Ah, Kouga. I see you do have our friend Kagome. Thank you for keeping her safe,” Miroku said, bowing.

 

“Yeah, she's not really hurt,” Kouga replied.

 

Sango and Shippou came out at the sound of Kouga's voice.

 

“Kago…” Shippou leaped at Kagome.

 

Miroku grabbed a hold of his tail in mid-air. “She's resting, Shippou, leave her be.”

 

Sulking, the kitsune plopped onto the floor, listening to the adults.

 

Kagome stirred. “Mmm…” she snuggled into Kouga's neck for a moment, then began to wake.

 

Kouga blushed, but he hadn't done anything wrong, so Sango just watched her wake up as Miroku admired Kouga's techniques. Behind him, Kouga heard a slight thud.

 

“So, she's ok?” InuYasha asked, trying to keep calm.

 

“Yeah, she just scratched up her arms a little. She's just real tired. She didn't get much sleep,” he said. The look on the others' faces told him he should explain. “I mean, she came here in the middle of the night! She didn't sleep much, and with the crying…”

 

“It's ok, Kouga,” Kagome said. “You can put me down,” she smiled sleepily.

 

Kouga gently lowered her legs so she could stand, and she stretched. “Thanks,” she told Kouga warmly.

 

InuYasha was sulking in the background. Sango went to her friend to catch up on everything that had been going on, and Miroku stood in place, thinking of how he could use Kouga's technique. Shippou was going through Kagome's pack that Kouga had also released to the floor.

 

Kouga simply watched Kagome interact with her friends. And this made InuYasha even more angry. With a growl, InuYasha bounded away towards the forest, and everyone watched him go.

 

Giggling, Kagome asked if he was still angry. Sango told her how he had been shouting just before she had arrived, and had been sulking all morning.

 

Kagome shorthanded the story of the fight from last night. “Oh, he hadn't told us that,” Sango said, shocked.

 

“Yes, but the problem is, Kouga's wolf tribe is sick, and some are dying. I have to help!” Kagome said spiritedly.

 

Kouga smiled, and she smiled back at him. Sango and Miroku just looked on in awe.

 

“What I don't get, is how come InuYasha was out there in the first place? I mean, he looked like he was bedding down with us, then in the middle of the night he shows up by the well?” Shippou commented.

 

Kagome's eye began to twitch. “I… didn't…. think… about that…” she said weakly.

 

Kouga touched her arm lovingly. Miroku gave Shippou a look. “Now, now, Shippou, we mustn't jump to conclusions. Perhaps InuYasha was coming to fetch Kagome?” he said.

 

“I don't know, Miroku. He disappeared every night that Kagome was gone,” Sango said sadly.

 

“And he sure as hell didn't come visit me,” Kagome said angrily. “He was visiting that damn Kikyou…”

 

All four friends were looking at Kagome gravely. “What!?” she shouted.

 

***

 

Later, the five of them were discussing the matter of Kouga's wolf tribe. Kaede and Kagome had made lunch, but InuYasha had not joined them.

 

Kouga listened to Kagome talk about her plans on helping the wolves, and he watched her moth move as she explained. It put him in a trance, as if her voice were a lullaby. She just had such a happy, calm voice. And paired with her big blue eyes, well, the only way he could describe it to himself was… breathtaking. Yeah, that's it. She's… breathtaking. Especially in that little pink dress…

 

Kouga snapped out of it just before Kagome asked him a question. “So, is it OK, if we go see Jinenji?”

 

Kouga stared blankly at her. “Oh, me? Yeah, sure. Who's Jinenji?”

 

Kagome laughed softly. “What happened? Were you mesmerized or something? Jinenji is a hanyou that grows the most extensive herb garden I know. And he has a vast knowledge of them. It's not far,” she said, smiling.

 

“Uh, yeah, something like that,” Kouga laughed nervously. “Yeah, we can go. Just point the way…”

 

Sango interrupted. “Is there anything we can do, Kagome?”

 

“If you'd like to take care of the sick, then be my guest. But I wouldn't want Kirara getting sick. And you might be better off staying with InuYasha, in case you get any leads on the next shard,” she said. And so you can let me know if he's still sneaking off…

 

Sango nodded, almost as if she'd heard Kagome's thoughts.

 

“Well, since InuYasha chose not to join us, someone is going to have to tell him. I'll see you guys soon,” she said, grabbing her back pack and walking towards the door. Kouga followed.

 

When they were outside, Kagome turned her face towards the sun and let it shine brightly onto her. Kouga was again stunned by her beauty. Suddenly, she turned to him. She asked if he was ready, and he nodded. Kouga swept her off her feet, and began to run in the direction Kagome had told him to.

 

From above Kaede's hut, InuYasha watched them leave, and he felt both angry and relieved.

 

It took less than an hour, but they arrived at Jinenji's as he was weeding his fields. She waved to him from a distance, smiling. Kouga slowed to a walk and let Kagome down. They walked together towards Jinenji, who also walked towards them.

 

“Hi, Kagome,” the big hanyou said.

 

“Hello, Jinenji!” she said, smiling.

 

Any other girl would have run screaming from this thing, Kouga thought, letting the two friends catch up. How is it that this girl has such a big heart?

 

“Oh yeah… Jinenji… this is Kouga, he's a wolf demon leader!” Kagome beamed.

 

“Nice to meet you, Kouga. Welcome to my herb gardens. Now, Kagome, what brings you here?” Jinenji asked slowly.

 

Kagome went on to tell Jinenji the details of the disease and what kinds of herbs she needed. Jinenji listened intently with caring eyes and nodded occasionally. Kouga noticed that this demon, too, held Kagome in high accord. Almost every male she comes in contact with wants her for one reason or the other… Kouga remembered the first time they met, and questioned his own motives. Did he not want her to find the sacred jewel shards? No, not anymore. That wasn't important as far as Kagome was concerned. He had many… feelings for her that he couldn't explain. And he wasn't the only one. This beast thought fondly of Kagome. And then there was that mutt. Unfortunately, upset or not, she still was fond of InuYasha as well. Could he ever be loved by her? Or was he, too, only a replacement?

 

Kagome stood, and they all went to the herb fields, where Jinenji picked a particular plant out, and they all went back inside his home.

 

“This one is new. It will help them keep the food down. They must eat to get better. And this one is to help with their breathing. But, I'm sorry. I have none of the herb that controls fevers in demons. Only for humans. Here.” Jinenji explained.

 

Kagome listened intently, making sure she didn't get the herbs mixed up.

 

“Where can I find the herb that helps fevers?” Kagome asked with pleading eyes.

 

“To the south, there is a lake. It has a waterfall fed by a river. It is called Hinna lake. The waterfall itself is said to be magical. There is a pink star-shaped flower that blooms from the plant that you need. Only in that waterfall can you find it,” Jinenji told them.

 

“Oh, thank you, Jinenji!” Kagome said, hugging the great beast. His eyes softened, and he held her tight.

 

Kagome packed the herbs into her pack and exited the hut with Kouga, saying their goodbyes.

 

“Ready?” Kouga asked.

 

“Mm-hmm…” Kagome nodded, and he scooped her up and they began traveling north, towards Kouga's tribe. They were going to attempt to start medicating the sick wolves first, and then they would go and fetch the pink star-flower plant, they had decided.

Chapter 5 by PitaBread
Author's Notes:

 

Kouga and Kagome arrive at the home of the Yourouzouku tribe, and survey the damage. They come up with a plan, but they get sidetracked when a young member of the clan becomes very ill. It's almost winter, so the mountain rivers are very cold, and Kagome gets quite a scare...

 

Chapter 5

 

 

 

 

It didn't take long for Kouga to get from Jinenji's field to his home, in the mountains. The two of them were greeted by an onslaught of wolves. Ginta and Hakkaku, Kouga's closest friends, were among the first. They knew Kouga was approaching, and met him a little bit before their leader reached the caves.

 

“Kouga! You're back!” Hakkaku shouted.

 

“Onee-chan! You came too? So Kouga was successful! Great!” Ginta cried.

 

Kagome giggled. “Yes, I'm here to try to help.”

 

“Okay, you two, knock it off. Kagome's a little tired. You guys do whatever she says. She's going to need help. But we're not staying,” Kouga said roughly, explaining that they had to travel south to find a rare flower to save the tribe.

 

Kagome decided it was best to only bother each patient once, for now. She walked around, gauging each wolf-demon's health as she went. She separated the mildly ill from the worse-off. She had Ginta and Hakkaku make them all comfortable. Then she set about making a liquid form of all the herbs put together. Kouga watched intently. When she was ready to pour the liquid into individual containers for each patient, she found that it was a bit heavier full than empty. She laughed nervously. Kouga, seeing her struggle, picked it up easily, and poured it into the intended containers.

 

“Oh, Kouga, thank you! But you shouldn't. You're the leader, after all…” she began.

 

“Nothin' to it,” he said, not wanting to hear an argument over it. He was intent on helping her.

 

Kagome just nodded, and directed his pouring. “ Yes, that one there? Only half-full; it's for a child. Those are fine. Thanks,” she said, smiling.

 

Kouga beamed. He called Hakkaku and Ginta over and gave them instructions to give certain containers to certain patients, and to make sure they drink the whole thing. They nodded in agreement, and began administering the medicine, beginning with the children - the most sick- as told. As they began, they brought back empty containers that Kagome dropped into a boiling kettle. Kouga wondered what she was doing, and said so out loud.

 

“Oh, this?” she asked. “By boiling these containers after sick wolves have used it, it kills the germs, and so the next wolf that uses it won't get those germs,” she explained.

 

Kouga was stunned with her knowledge. He watched her do the tasks effortlessly, and admired not only how easily she did it, but how happy she seemed to do it. Seemed… A wave of horror went through his body. What if she doesn't want to do this? What if she's disgusted and wants to go back? What if she's really tired? She's already worked so hard… Kouga was determined to let her do the least possible.

 

“Ah, thank you!” Kagome said as she tried to remove a cup with a stick from the pot. Kouga had taken the stick from her and got it out much quicker.

 

Maybe it's the sleepiness… she thought. I'm usually much quicker. But at least I have Kouga… Kagome smiled at him, looking into the ocean that gave way to his soul. Kouga's eyes were so emotional; you could almost always tell what he was thinking. Then again, we can't all be emotional messes like InuYasha… Why does he always insist on popping up? Why can't I talk to myself in the confines of my own mind without him showing up? Because you still love him, you idiot. You may be a replacement, but you still love him. You silly, stupid girl. He loves a flower pot. And there's a perfectly great - and handsome - demon right in front of you that likes you. He may not love you like you love InuYasha, but it would be better than sitting around waiting for dog-boy to realize he has feelings for me. But… Kagome shook her head. She was tired of “but's”.

 

She looked up to find Kouga gone. She put a fresh set of containers into the kettle that Ginta and Hakkaku had brought, and stood to look for Kouga. She walked around, seeing some of the less sick demons looking better already. She smiled at the ones that were awake, and she took a better look at the sleeping ones. She went over to the children's area, which were also separated by more or less sick. From a distance, she thought she saw Kouga, crouching in a corner, in the area where the very sick children were. She walked over to them. She saw a young boy wolf demon in human form- around Shippou's age as far she could tell - with dark grey hair. He looked very sick. He was quite pale, shivering, but covered with furs, and he was sleeping, or unconscious. Kouga was holding the boy in his lap, trying to get him to drink the liquid medicine. The look on his face broke Kagome's heart. He genuinely cares for them. He doesn't want to lose a single one.

 

She couldn't take her eyes off the pair, and Kouga appeared startled when he finally noticed Kagome's presence. He looked up to meet with Kagomes' huge brown eyes. She was smiling. Not a happy smile, but a content one.

 

“I thought you were supposed to be helping me…” she said gently.

 

“Yeah, sorry, Kagome. I just… well I didn't want Hakkaku or Ginta to get sick. I need them healthy, so I came to give the sick children the medicine myself. But this one… Yuki… I can't seem to get him to wake up. It may be too late for him…” Kouga's voice trembled as much as his eyes did. He looked back at the boy's face.

 

Kagome watched his interaction with the child, and she melted. She knelt down beside Kouga, and placed her hand over his, which was on one of the boys' shoulders. She smiled warmly at Kouga, and it made his heart jump. As if sensing his unusual reaction, she blushed, but she didn't take her hand away. Instead, she bent low over Yuki and whispered in his ear.

 

“Yuki, you need to be awake. For you to get better, you need to drink this…” she told the wolf boy.

 

He didn't speak, but they both felt him stir. Kouga looked at Kagome with amazement. She smiled back at him, and they both spoke this time.

 

“Come on, you can do it. Just open your eyes for us, and we'll give you this medicine to drink,” she spoke to him again.

 

The wolf child fluttered his eyes weakly, but couldn't' keep them open. They took this as a good sign, and offered him the liquid, which he drank. Kouga grinned at the progress, and Kagome used her hand to test the child's forehead. He was so hot she could barely stand to touch him.

 

“No wonder he's so non-responsive! He has a very high fever!” she exclaimed.

 

She told Kouga that they must get him to the closest body of water as quickly as possible. He began to gather the boy up as Kagome bunched up the furs. They scrambled out of the cave and Kouga gave her directions.

 

“Just over that hill, there's a valley with a stream that runs through it. That's where we get most of our water,” he said, motioning towards the east.

 

“Right,” she said, and she began to follow him towards the stream.

 

Suddenly, Kagome stopped in her tracks. Kouga, not hearing her footsteps, asked her what was the matter.

 

“You say… that's where you get your water from? And of course, it flows downstream from the mountains?” she asked.

 

Kouga's interest was piqued. “Yeah… what are you getting at?”

 

“Well, you said there's never been an epidemic like this before, right?” she began.

 

“Yeah, I mean no. There's never been an epi… whatever you called it. What do you think it is? The water?” he asked, an eyebrow raised.

 

“Well, I can't be certain, but if your water supply runs from the mountains, then perhaps something is going on up there, and now your tribe has caught it because it was in your drinking water…” she proposed.

 

“Wow…” Kouga said, eyes wide.

 

“What?” Kagome asked.

 

“How do you do it?” he asked wondrously

 

“Do what?” Kagome answered, intrigued.

 

“How can you be so beautiful and then so smart at the same time?” he said honestly.

 

“Oh, Kouga, this isn't the time!” she said, smirking. “Besides, we have to find another source of water…” she reminded him.

 

“Right,” he nodded.

 

He told her of another stream, this one a bit deeper, to the southwest of the caves. Kagome agreed, and they jogged off together. When they got to the river, she noticed that Kouga had been exaggerating when he said it was slightly larger. It looks at least 15 feet deep! she thought. Kouga must have sensed her fear, because he turned to face her, and told her he wouldn't let her drown. She thanked him sarcastically, and he flashed that big, wolfy grin at her, and suddenly, she felt calm. She told him to strip the boy and place him in the water so that only his face was showing. She explained that they had to get his body temperature down, especially his head. Kouga did as he was instructed, taking the boy's clothes off and cradling him in his arms, then entering waist deep into the river, letting the wolf cub's body become submerged, while only allowing his face to be above the surface. Kagome watched intently, making sure Kouga was paying attention to Yuki's head, but she was forgotten. Kouga had abandoned any thoughts of Kagome, and was focused on the grey head in front of him, watching the waves go by so that none would rise above his ears. Kagome knew he was intent on saving the boy. He's so caring. He would do anything for his pack. For his family…

 

She watched his eyes, going back and forth between searching the boy's face for consciousness and guarding his head from the rougher waves. They were tough, yet gentle. His features matched them; they were rugged yet soft. Hard, but kind. She felt like reaching out to touch his face…

 

While admiring his jaw line, Kagome noticed something vibrating. Was it her eyes? Was the ground shaking? Perhaps the movement of the river… No, it was Kouga's jaw that was shaking. She examined his face a little more and found that his lips were tinted blue. Oh no! Kouga's temperature is dropping too much!

 

“Err, Kouga, I think you should come out…” she started.

 

“Is it time for him to come out?” he asked slowly.

 

“No, but I'll hold him. I think it's time for you to come out,” she said sternly.

 

“No way, Kagome. I don't want you to get sick,” he told her firmly.

 

“Please…” she pleaded.

 

“Just… a… little longer…” he said, wavering.

 

Kagome reached out her hand to him. “Let me have Yuki - he's okay now.”

 

Kouga turned enough so that Kagome could reach the wolf boy's arm, and pulled him towards the shore. The arm was icy; the water that came from the mountains was melted snow and ice, so it was much colder than the rivers she was used to traveling near. She pulled Yuki unto the bank, wrapping him in the furs. When she turned around to offer Kouga her hand, he was no where to be found.

 

“Kouga!” she cried. “Kouga, can you hear me? Where are you?”

 

There was no time. Kagome dove into the water, surveying the depths. Luckily, the water was very clear and was not very turbulent, so she found him easily, only a few feet from where he had been. She grabbed onto his chest armor and heaved with all her might, pulling them both up to the surface. Had he been closer to the center where it was deeper, neither of them may have made it. But Kagome triumphed, digging her shoes into the gravel and bringing them both to shore. She used her shoes again to brace herself into the ground to drag Kouga unto the safety of the bank. She was so cold, but Kouga was in danger. Not only had he been exposed to the river for a long time, but he had been underwater for a bit. How long she didn't know, but it could be enough to take his life. What was she supposed to do? What did they teach her in health class? Was she supposed to check his tongue? No, that was for choking. Pump his chest? Yeah, that was it. She looked at his chest, only to find armor. Oh yeah…

 

Kagome began to undo his armor and searched his face for the grin he reserved for her. Instead, she found his rugged face pale, and his lips blue. Done with the straps, she flung the armor to the side and immediately began to pump his chest. One, two, three… one, two, three… What else? Oh… breathing. I'm supposed to… breathe into his mouth. One, two, three… Kagome knew she couldn't waste any more time, and, bringing her hand up to capture her sopping wet hair and bring it to the side, she knelt over Kouga, pinched his nose, and pressed her lips against his. And exhaled. She thought of how cold his lips felt, but they still felt nice to touch with her own. Shaking the thoughts away, she exhaled again, and resumed pumping his chest. She breathed into him a few more times, and felt tears come to her eyes. No, she thought, I can't lose him! She began pumping again, and pushed harder this time. She bent over to breathe into him again, her face hot with emotion and tears, and felt air push back. She shot up to a sitting position and watched as Kouga coughed, sending bits of water shooting out of his lungs. He rolled over to his right side, facing Kagome, but his vision was blurry and he began violently trembling from the cold. Kagome cried harder, from relief this time. Kouga reached for her, and as she leaned toward him, sobbing, he reached up and caressed her face.

 

“Don't worry, Kagome,” he said. “I'm never leaving you…”

 

And he passed out from exhaustion. Kagome cried hard for a few moments, but her survival instincts kicked in, and she calmed down. She checked on Yuki first, and, noticing that his head wasn't too warm, but his body was warming up, decided he would be okay. Now she had to cover Kouga… with what? Her body, giving her the answer, began to tremble. I guess I have no choice... she thought. So she lay down next to Kouga, blushing as she wrapped her arm around his bare chest and waist, pressed up against him, and as she began to feel more comfortable, her own mind slipped into unconsciousness from exhaustion.

Chapter 6 by PitaBread
Author's Notes:

 

Kagome spends some time with Kouga, and thinks about her feelings for him. Deciding that she does have feelings for him, she explores them; and they encounter some trouble...

 

Chapter Six

 

 

 

 

`…where are you?! Can you hear me!?...'

 

Kagome woke with a start. She was warm, and she noticed a fire. But I… I didn't make a fire… She looked around a little more, propping herself up on both elbows. She instantly noticed that the wolf-boy was gone. Yuki! He's gone! And… his clothes, too! Bandits?! She shook the notion of bandits that would steal a wolf pup but build a fire. She also noticed she was covered with furs. It was almost evening. She wondered if Yuki had gotten so well that he dressed himself, built a fire, and went back to the pack…

 

Kouga awoke, his head feeling foggy. He felt movement, and turned to his right, and was amazed by what he saw. In the fading daylight, with fire lighting her face, Kagome was lying next to him. She looked bedraggled, but beautiful; the flames danced on her face in such a way that she glowed. All he could do was stare.

 

Kagome suddenly got the feeling that she was being watched. She turned, and indeed, there was Kouga, staring at her with a most peculiar expression. She had forgotten all the drama of Kouga half-drowning and saving him and all. She had given him life, by pressing her lips onto his, and breathing air into him…

 

“Kagome? What's wrong? You're flushed. Are you feeling all right?” he asked worriedly.

 

“Oh, yeah,” she giggled nervously. “No, I was… just remembering what happened. I forgot for a moment. And I was wondering where Yuki had gone…”

 

“Hmm… I wouldn't worry. I can smell that some of the wolf pack was here. They probably took him back to the cave,” he reassured her.

 

“Mmm, yes. You're probably right,” she agreed.

 

Kagome looked down into his bright blue eyes. A little while ago they had seemed so dim. She had almost lost him.

 

“Wait… what did you mean, `remembering what happened'? What happened that got you so upset?” he asked, concerned.

 

“You… don't remember?” she asked incredulously.

 

He shook his head. “No. I remember holding the boy in the water, and I started to feel so cold… so… paralyzed. You wanted to take the pup, but I didn't want you to have to get in the cold water. But you look like you did anyways…”

 

“Oh!” Kagome cried, smoothing her hair and wiping her face. “Ha ha, yes. I had to take Yuki from you. But everything worked out,” she said, smiling nervously.

 

“But I don't remember even getting out of the river. And my chest feels… I don't know. Like pressure… like there was something there…” Kouga said, placing his hand on his chest and trying to sit up with his other arm.

 

As he sat up, he felt sore, and taking his hand from his chest, it went to his lower back, where he felt bruised and scratched, like he had been dragged. But I couldn't drag myself out on my back. That doesn't make sense. Unless someone else dragged me out. But no one else was there except... He looked into Kagome's quivering eyes. It seemed like she was remembering something painful…

 

“Kagome, what really happened?” he asked sternly.

 

His tone suggested that she should tell the truth. But how could she? She didn't want to hurt his ego… being saved by a girl… but she also didn't want to let him know that she had practically made out with him while he was pretty much DOA.

 

“Well…” she hesitated, but she looked into Kouga's eyes, and the words flowed freely, suddenly. “I took Yuki from you, and I had to wrap him up with the furs. But when I turned around to find you, I couldn't see you. So I jumped in, and you had slipped under, a little bit from where you had been standing,” she told him. She looked away, continuing. “I grabbed you and dragged you onto the grass. But you weren't breathing, so I had to push on your chest to help you breathe. And…” she hesitated, but chose her words carefully, “I had to take your armor off to do that. It's over there.”

 

She nodded towards the metal piece on the grass a few feet from them. Kouga never took his eyes from her face. He read it. There was fear, embarrassment, and… something else. He quirked an eyebrow at her to prod her.

 

“Yes, so, when you started breathing again, I realized that I had only brought enough furs for the sick boy, so since I was cold too, I held you to keep us both warm, but I woke up to find us covered, and a fire built…” she explained as she looked into the fire.

 

“That was probably Ginta and Hakkaku…” he told her as he stared into the fire as well.

 

He tried to piece together what she had told him. Yes, he remembered feeling numb as he had given the cub to her, and then feeling overwhelmed, and enveloped by the cold. Then, he couldn't remember anything until he felt air… he recalled coughing up water and saying something to Kagome, but he had felt something else before he started coughing. Air, filling his lungs and… something on his lips and face. Where did the air come from? Did Kagome… did she breathe the air into him?

 

Kagome stood, hissing as her aching muscles pleaded to keep resting. The cold and the strain of pulling Kouga out of the water had taken their toll. She rubbed her left bicep unconsciously. Suddenly, there was another hand there, massaging her arm. She felt Kouga's bare chest against her shoulders and upper back and she blushed heavily.

 

“That must have been very difficult for you. I'm sure you're sore and tired,” he said softly.

 

Kagome's heart began to race. He was massaging her shoulders, and it felt so good. It was like his fingers took the pain away, physically and mentally.

 

“Yes,” she said, her voice so low it was almost a whisper. But she knew he could hear it. She turned in her spot to face him.

 

He looked surprised to see her turn to face him, and he was amused by her boldness. It wouldn't take much to kiss her. He wanted to feel her lips. It wasn't fair that he had been unconscious when she had had her mouth on his. He ached to do it… to press his lips onto hers. But… she wasn't ready. This wasn't the time. He wanted her to want it. So, he turned to get his armor, and strapped it back into place. He almost keeled over and died again when he looked up and saw the expression on her face… anger, relief, need, and embarrassment all rolled into one beautiful face. He stifled the laughter he felt creeping into his gut.

 

Kouga reached into the river and cupped some water into his hands and doused the fire. Then, he grabbed the furs, and turned to Kagome, who was still standing there. Her expression had changed. She looked pained now, hurt. Had she wanted me to kiss her? Regardless, the moment was gone, and it seemed ludicrous to try it now. He wanted to be sure that it wasn't InuYasha she was thinking of… He wasn't stupid. She cares for that hanyou, and it would take time and healing for her to realize that she'll never be the woman for InuYasha. He can't get over the resurrected miko, and even if she died again, he wouldn't open his heart to Kagome. The thought of her heart breaking as he shuns her love was unbearable. It made him angry. It made him want to find that bastard and put his fist through his chest.

 

Kagome had felt lonely at that moment. She thought that he might kiss her, but he had only smiled and turned to get dressed. He had doused the fire and collected the furs, and he seemed ready to get back to his tribe. He had looked at her almost sadly, but he hadn't kissed her. Why? It made her angry. Once again, things were not going as she wanted. Just like InuYasha… Was a boy ever going to kiss her? Or would she have to settle for Houjou? The thought both shocked her and made her feel bad for putting him on the backburner, just as InuYasha does with her. Oh, god, is this how Houjou feels? No, Houjou doesn't know there's `someone else'… Ignorance is bliss…

 

Kagome snapped back to reality to find Kouga staring into nothingness. He was standing with the furs, not quite facing her, and she could see he was gritting his teeth. And possibly balling a fist or two. What was he so angry about? Perhaps he's upset that he didn't kiss me after all?

 

Kagome smiled at him, and he seemed to calm. “Ready?” he asked.

 

Kagome nodded, and they began to walk back to the cave. There was still much work to be done.

 

 

At Kaede's home, Sango and Kirara were practicing their moves, and Miroku was meditating. Shippou was helping Kaede, who was making supper for all. And InuYasha… he was in a tree, sulking. He hadn't spoken to anyone all day. Not when they called him for lunch, not when Miroku teased him, and not when Sango asked him if he'd like to train. He's really upset this time… she thought. He could hear Miroku chanting, Sango and Kirara jumping and playing, the Hiraikotsu swinging, and Kaede and Shippou speaking, but there was something missing from his life. There was no happiness. There was no laughter, no joy. Was it the happiness he missed? Or just her? If he craved companionship, he could just go and see Kikyou. She was staying at a nearby village, helping with some sick children. She always wanted to help. Just like Kagome. She just wanted to be normal… He heard Kaede claim that dinner was finished, and Shippou told her that he would get the others. Taking his cue, InuYasha leapt from the tree, into the forest. Shippou came out of the hut, and seeing the hanyou gone, moved on to get Sango, and they approached Miroku together, all of them coming to Kaede's home together.

 

“I wonder where InuYasha went. He was here a few minutes ago…” Shippou wondered out loud.

 

Miroku and Sango merely looked at each other knowingly, and they all sat to eat.

 

***

 

“Kouga!” shouted Hakkaku.

 

“We went and got dinner since you weren't back yet!” Ginta cried.

 

“Very good,” the wolf prince told them. They beamed, and resumed their duties.

 

Kagome greeted some of the wolves; they welcomed her with whines and licks. She laughed happily, and Kouga watched her. As he watched her interact with them, the ache in his chest returned. It felt like he was going to explode, starting with his stomach. He smiled unconsciously, and began to daydream.

 

Kagome turned to see where Kouga was and found him looking at her dreamily, but not really looking at her. She wondered what was going on in his mind, and decided to break into his thoughts. She popped up in front of him and he seemed startled. He smiled at her again and apologized, and they continued walking until they reached the cave where Yuki had been when they first saw him. He was still lying down, but he was awake this time. When he saw his leader, he smiled weakly.

 

“They told me how you saved me. Thank you,” Yuki said shyly.

 

“Ah, it wasn't me, little Yuki. It was Kagome here. She was the one who helped you, and we still have to get you more medicine,” he told the boy, ruffling his hair.

 

The boy looked at Kagome with wonder, and tried his best to get up.

 

“No, p… please! Don't try to get up!” Kagome said. She knelt next to the boy and gently hugged him.

 

She began to cry again, and Kouga knelt to wipe away her tears. The grey-haired boy was happy, and he released Kagome to lie back down. He fell asleep very quickly.

 

“Thank you, Kagome.”

 

Kagome looked at the cub again, but it hadn't been the cub who spoke. She turned her head to see Kouga looking at her gently. He tried to wipe away the rest of the tears, and Kagome placed her hand on his. This time, it was Kouga who blushed lightly.

 

Kagome stood, and went to work making rounds and asking about everyone's health. Luckily, there had been more than enough medicine, and since Ginta and Hakkaku had watched her, they had continued to medicate the children and the elders. They were just finishing with the elders that were not as ill. Satisfied with the results, Kagome began to make a new brew.

 

“I guess we'll leave in the morning. No sense in traveling now. We'd have to make camp soon,” Kouga told her as she crushed herbs and added them to a kettle with water.

 

She just nodded, and Kouga helped her light the fire. He smiled at her again, and left the cave. Kagome smiled back and went back to her task.

 

Kouga exited the cave and went to check on the food that his companions had brought. There were a few boars, rabbits, and some berries, vegetables, and fish. Internally, he sighed. It was a good hunting day. They didn't always eat so good, and perhaps it will help some of the sick wolves feel better - if they don't throw it up. And Kagome will be able to eat well. She hadn't looked well when they had first woken up, but her color returned gradually, and the walk probably smoothed out her muscles. She saved me. Twice. She got me out of the river, and breathed life into me. Kouga started a fire to cook the various meats. He poked at the fire.

 

***

 

Kagome had a wonderful time. She had taken meager portions for fear that there wouldn't be enough, but Kouga had made her eat. He had told her that red meat was the best for her right now, and she obliged, taking a few vegetables as well. She loved fish, but wasn't crazy about red meat. But Kouga cared about her, and he was worried, so she'd eaten some. She would've died for some soumen… She had served the preventative concoction that she had made for the healthy wolves, and all were grateful. The time she spent with Kaede was time well spent. They all talked and barked, and they tried to include her as much as possible. She laughed, ate, and talked. When they started to bring food to those who couldn't come to where the others were eating, Kagome got up to help as well, but Kouga stopped her. She looked at him questioningly, but he stood firm.

 

“You need to rest,” he told her.

 

“But, I should help…” she began.

 

“Please. Stay with me,” he said.

 

Kagome felt an ache in her stomach, and she nodded. She sat as the wolves around them bustled to clean up. At first she was shy, folding her hands in her lap and staring at them. But she wondered why she was behaving so innocently when a little while ago, she had wanted Kouga to kiss her. She looked up and was surprised to see that he was staring into the fire, and not at her. She suddenly worried that his feelings had changed, and she decided to test him. She scooted closer to him, and this got his attention. He looked at her questioningly. She placed her elbow on her leg, bringing her hand up to her face, resting her chin in her palm.

 

“So,” she said suddenly, “YOU may have had enough water for one day, but I need a bath.”

 

Kouga looked at her blankly. “Well, do you need an escort? Or would you rather go alone?” he asked.

 

Kagome frowned. This was not the answer she had hoped for. “Well, I was hoping you would take me…” she said in the most innocent voice she could muster.

 

Kouga perked up. “Well,” he said with a grin, fangs exposed, “I could take you, but you couldn't blame me if I were to peek…”

 

Kagome smiled. Ah, same old Kouga… But now she was in a predicament. Her expression changed quickly.

 

“I just meant that I would feel safer if it was you watching over me…” She attempted to save herself.

 

“Oh,” Kouga said, disappointed. “Yeah, I could bring you there. By the way,” he said, bringing his face closer to hers, “I'm assuming you want to have a cave to yourself, but there isn't that much room here. So if you'd like, I could arrange for one of the families to take you…”

 

She wasn't thrilled of the idea of sleeping in a room with strangers. Kouga explained that in the caves that they did have, many families lived in each one, except his. It was one of the few privileges he had. Kagome would rather share a huge cave with Kouga than a huge collection of wolves. Besides, he wouldn't try anything…

 

Their faces closer than ever, Kagome told him breathily, “Why don't I just stay in your cave?”

 

The following look was one of pure shock.

 

“Are… are you sure? I mean, you know, it would just be the two of us…”

 

Kagome was pleased with herself. It was a two-fer. She would have more privacy AND she made Kouga nervous in a way she had never seen.

 

“Yes!” she said happily. “I know that! I just feel safer with you.”

 

Kouga just swallowed hard, then asked her if she was ready for her bath. She nodded, and started going through her back pack to find her shampoo, soap, towel, and pajamas. She usually slept in her clothes, but since she was going to be in a cave, and she wasn't the actual caretaker here, she could wear pajamas. They were light blue, and had stars and crescent moons all over them. There was a tank top, and the bottoms were cut short, halfway between the knee and ankle. Kouga waited and watched patiently. When she was finished, she popped out from her big yellow bag and told him she was ready to go. He nodded, and Kagome began to walk, but he came up behind her, scooped her up, and ran quickly to the same river that she had pulled Kouga from.

 

Once there, Kagome told Kouga that she needed a little privacy, but he could be nearby. He agreed, and he walked into a patch of trees and sat at the base of one. Kagome was surprised. She had expected him to resist - whining and complaining about not being by her side as she undressed - but he had simply complied. Shrugging, Kagome laid her things by the bank, undressed, and wrapped a towel around herself. She got into the water up to her ankles before she couldn't take anymore. She quickly bent over and dunked her hair into the water and shampooing it. When she was satisfied, she dunked again, rinsing out the suds and wrung her hair out. With one task accomplished, she moved on to the more difficult chore - washing herself. She took the washcloth she had brought and soaked it, then rubbed herself, wincing from the cold. When she thought that her skin was damp enough, she used the soap to cleanse herself, using the washcloth again to rinse. Finally done, she started to turn around to get dressed, but when she did, she wished she had let Kouga stay with her.

 

Kouga was sitting under the tree when he suddenly looked up at the moon. He stared for a while, trying to clear his head and shake the temptation to sneak a peek at Kagome bathing. He had unfocused, and had been mildly successful with those tasks when he thought he heard a rustle. He figured Kagome had finished quickly because of the cold water, so he didn't move. After a few seconds, the wind shifted, bringing Kagomes' scent towards him. He smelled her - a strange but clean smell - but this time it was different. It smelled… musky. Dirty. And not like Kagome. Something else was near her! He jumped up, and as he did, he heard a roar, and a scream.

 

***

 

Kagome stood no more than six feet from a very large, very hungry bear. Not a teddy bear, not one of those circus bears that rides a unicycle, and certainly not one of those movie bears that likes people. This was a very large, very wild bear. She couldn't think of the species at the time, but they were endangered in her time. She had seen them in the zoos on school trips. He was black with a cream colored v-shaped marking on his chest. And he looked hungry. And just as she opened her mouth to scream for Kouga, the bear stood. On two legs, the bear was about a foot taller than her. And this scared Kagome so much that the very voice was stolen from her throat. So she stood, helpless, as the bear roared at her, and with that, Kagome took action. Unfortunately, it was the wrong action. She attempted to run, and as she took her first step, the bear reached out and swiped at her with its' two inch long claws. Hitting their mark, the claws ran gashes into her left side and snatched the towel from her. Kagome screamed in pain as she fell to the ground.

 

The bear made the mistake of turning its' attention to the towel, biting and tearing with claws and sharp canines. When it realized it wasn't going to get food from it, the bear left the shredded fabric and turned its' attention to Kagome who was now crawling on her stomach towards the trees, crying as she moved. The bear began to charge, but half way to its' prey, the bear was knocked off its' feet. Kouga's kick had sent the bear flying into a tree that cracked when the 400 pound bear hit it. The powerful kick combined with the impact with the tree had also killed the bear, leaving it slumped around the base of the tree. Kouga did not check to see if it was surely dead. Instead, he ran to Kagome, who was crying, face down and naked, in the grass. He could smell her blood, and there was a lot of it. He knelt down and stroked her hair.

 

“I'm so sorry, Kagome. I should've been there sooner. I should've noticed. I should've…” he said, his voice wavering with emotion.

 

“P… please… my clothes…” she interrupted.

 

He suddenly realized that she was, indeed, naked. He nodded and brought the blue clothes to her, but also fetched the ripped towel, which he ripped a small piece off and put aside, and he knelt beside her again. She reached for her clothes, but Kouga pushed her hand aside. She was still crying, but silently now, and it broke the wolf prince's heart. He hated when she cried. He helped her sit up, and she covered her chest with one arm as Kouga took her other hand for support. She kept her knees bent and together, but to her surprise, when she got the courage to look at him, he had his head turned and his eyes closed. Even with the pain of her wounds, Kagome's chest began to ache so much she could barely breathe. She was amazed that with all his confidence and flirting, Kouga was respecting her privacy. When she was sitting up fully, Kouga kept his eyes closed, and used his sense of smell to guide him to the wound, the blood telling the tale of the location. He used the towel to wrap around her whole waist, and she winced and hissed whenever he went over the gashes. He told her he was sorry, but that pressure was needed to stop the bleeding. She agreed, and she tried to quell the noises that she made since he was so worried. When he began to tie the ends on her right side, he accidentally brushed against her right breast, which made Kouga blush deeply. Kagome, feeling faint now from the loss of blood, hardly noticed. She started to sway, and this worried Kouga even more. Finished, he laid the small piece of cloth between her legs, picked up Kagome and her clothes, and began to run towards the wolf pack. Almost as soon as he began running, Kagome's arm went limp, which made him very nervous, because as he looked down, not only did he get an eyeful of Kagome's beautiful breasts, but she was not conscious. He called her name, but she remained limp. He stopped dead in his tracks. He knew he should bring her to Kaede's home. But he didn't want mutt-face to accuse him of not taking care of her. He would be right, though. I couldn't protect her. She got hurt because I wasn't there. I couldn't protect her… He began to run towards Kaede's village.

 

It didn't take long, perhaps twenty minutes, but when he arrived at the little village, all the lights were off. Humans… he thought. They go to sleep so early. He entered the hut to be greeted with a wooden spoon to the head.

 

“Ow!” he cried. “What was that for?!”

 

“Oh, Kouga. I didn't know the demon approaching was you,” Kaede said flatly. She squinted to see what he was carrying. “By the gods! What happened?” she hissed.

 

“She was bathing, and asked me to leave her…” he started.

 

“Understandable,” Kaede said, nodding and motioning for him to lay her on the table.

 

Kouga began to growl, but held it in, for he needed this miko's help.

 

“And a bear attacked her. I killed it, but it wounded her,” he finished sadly.

 

Kaede recognized the guilt in his face and regret in his voice, and smiled.

 

“Come now,” she said to him, “help me prepare her.”

 

She instructed him to fetch some water in a kettle and build a fire, as she retrieved something to cover Kagome's private areas. As they both finished their intended duties, Kaede had Kouga wait with her as she fetched a needle and thread. She heated the needle, and spoke to Kouga as she prepared herself for what she intended to do.

 

“Now, wolf, she is either going to wake and scream in pain, or she will be unconscious for some time. Hopefully it will be the latter. Either way, the best thing you can do is hold her hand,” she instructed him.

 

He nodded, taking her right hand and holding it firmly between his rough hands.

 

“Thank you,” he said suddenly, his eyes not leaving Kagome's face.

 

She inspected him, and quirked an eyebrow. “I'm not doing this for you. Kagome is a dear friend of mine…”

 

Kouga shook his head. “No. For covering her. She would've been very embarrassed,” he said solemnly.

 

Kaede nodded, and noticing his seriousness, smiled. She assured him Kagome would be fine, and she took the needle from the fire with a special tool and threaded it. Kouga begged Kaede to not hurt her, to which she simply replied that Kagome was already hurt. The older miko pierced skin, and began to close the wounds. At one point, Kaede looked at Kouga to find him looking stern but appearing as if he were about to cry. She smiled and continued working. When the stitching was done, Kaede took a rag and dipped part of it in the hot water. She let it drip for a few moments, letting it cool, and then gently wiped the excess blood from Kagomes' skin. Kouga's eyes never left Kagome's face, and his hands never let go of hers. Kaede applied an ointment to the outside of the wound, and gave it to Kouga. He looked at her strangely.

 

“It needs to be reapplied at least three times a day, and I will apply a dressing, which will be needed to be changed whenever the ointment is reapplied,” she instructed him.

 

“But, I figured that, well… that mutt-face was going to take care of her,” he said questioningly.

 

“Ah, but InuYasha knows not of her visit. He is visiting with my sister Kikyou, who is in a neighboring town,” she explained as she wrapped the closed wound with cloth. “Unless you do not want to take her back with you, in which case…”

 

“No, no! She'll come with me,” Kouga insisted.

 

At the raised voice, Sango appeared.

 

“What… oh no, what happened?” she asked them.

 

“It is nothing, my child. Kagome was hurt, but she is fine now,” Kaede explained.

 

“Then why is she unconscious?” Sango said angrily, looking at Kouga.

 

“She fainted, but she will be awake soon,” Kaede told her calmly.

 

Sango was not buying it - Kouga's guilty look said more than what Kaede was telling her. She stared at the wolf prince, scowling.

 

“She is just as protective as you are, Kouga. Do not worry so much, both of you,” Kaede said softly.

 

“If he's so damn protective, how'd she get hurt?!” Sango yelled.

 

Kouga looked pained, and Kaede intervened. “That is a story for tomorrow morning, when we've all rested,” Kaede said smoothly.

 

Miroku joined them at the sound of Sango's heightened voice. He started to ask what had happened, but Sango immediately blocked his view, remembering that her friend was almost naked. He struggled to see, but Sango was adamant in her blocking duty.

 

Kaede asked Kouga if the blue clothes he had been carrying had been Kagome's, and he nodded. The old woman retrieved them from where Kouga had placed them, and she unfolded them, preparing to dress the patient. Without a word spoken, Kouga bent over, hiding his face from Kagome's body. Kaede removed the upper piece of cloth and placed the flimsy light blue shirt over Kagome's head and pulling it down. Just as quickly, she removed the lower cloth and pulled the stretchy pants onto her legs, taking care to let it rest below the wound.

 

“Ah, all done,” Kaede announced, and suddenly the room was quiet.

 

Kouga's head snapped up, and he looked relieved. Sango still appeared angry, but now she was partially angry with the monk. Miroku, seeing Kagome for the first time since she arrived, was worried. He remembered Kaede's words, and thought it was best to wait until morning to ask what had happened. He told them he was going back to bed, and suggested that Sango did as well. Sango, already in an irritable mood, misunderstood and believed he was trying to get her in his bed and from the other room, Kaede and Kouga heard a loud smack and a defensive Miroku whine.

 

“You should leave, you both need rest,” Kaede told the wolf demon.

 

He nodded, and picking up the medicines, some bandages that the old miko offered him, and finally Kagome herself, he left the hut.

 

“Thank you,” he said quietly. “I promise to take better care of her,” he added.

 

“I know you will,” she said, smiling gently.

 

Kaede turned, retreating back to her home. He watched the lights go out, one by one. Not wanting to run into InuYasha for once, he quickly turned and ran home.

 

When Kouga was nearly back with the tribe, a pack of wolves, along with Ginta and Hakkaku, met him. They told him that they had smelled sister Kagome's blood and followed the scent, only to find some blood on the ground and a dead bear. They had feared the worst for her. Kouga explained how he had gone to the human village to help repair her, and now they were back and she needed rest, which everyone took as a cue to get back to their own caves. Only Ginta remained, who took one last look, and spoke as he turned to run back with the others.

 

“It's a good thing you were there,” he said as he disappeared.

 

The words hung heavily on Kouga, who took the opportunity to run back to his cave. When he was alone, confident in the solitude of his cave, he laid Kagome on his bed. She stirred as he placed her on the soft pelts. Kouga became excited, hopeful that she might awaken. He lay next to her on the right side, so that there was no chance that he would harm her wound. He lay on his left side and watched as her eyes flitted open. It seemed like it took forever, but eventually they opened, albeit halfway. She saw that she was in a cave, and she looked to her left, then her right. Seeing Kouga, she tried to turn towards him. Mid-turn, she cried out in pain and he stopped her movement with one hand, rolling her so that she was on her back again. She sobbed.

 

“I… I had forgotten that I had gotten hurt. I just remembered being so scared…” she said between convulsive sobs, which made her move, which in turn made her cry harder in pain.

 

Kouga shushed her, running his hand over her hair. “Please, don't cry anymore, it will just hurt you more,” he said gently.

 

Kagome, eyes shut tightly, nodded and held her breath, trying to control the involuntary sobs. After a few moments, Kagome began to calm down to where she didn't hurt by crying. Kouga's strokes soothed her. She became very tired again.

 

Kouga was relieved that she had calmed. Hopefully she'll remember the next time she wakes up… he thought. She had done enough crying for one day. He thought back to the events of the day. We saved a boy, I died, Kagome saved me, then Kagome gets mauled and I wasn't there. I wasn't there…

 

He must have whimpered, because Kagome had opened her eyes again. She watched as he appeared to be fighting back tears.

 

She closed her eyes again, but reached a hand towards Kouga's face, caressing it.

 

“Don't worry,” she said, smiling softly as she drifted off to sleep. “I'm never leaving you.”

End Notes:
So sorry for all the stuff I've put you through, Kagome  ^_^;;
Chapter 7 by PitaBread
Author's Notes:

 

Kagome finds out what happened to her, and InuYasha faces HIS feelings. But he also smells Kagome's blood, and panics, rushing towards the mountains where the Yourouzouku live.

 

When Kagome awoke, it was still night. She attempted to get up, but it was so painful that it took three tries before she succeeded in getting unto her elbows. She didn't see Kouga anywhere, but she could tell he had slept next to her; the furs on the right of her were indented, as if he has spent quite some time there. She also noticed that there was a cup of water next to the bed. She assumed he had left it there in case she woke up.

He left me…She tried to sit up further, but it bent her midsection in such a way that she cried from the pain. Seconds later, Ginta and Hakkaku were by her side.

“Onee-chan! You're awake!” Hakkaku said.

She nodded. Ginta tried to help her into a comfortable position.

“Where… where's Kouga?” she said, wincing.

“Oh, the leader instructed us to stay with you. He wanted to be here with you, but he wouldn't allow us to go in the river. Another child was very sick, and he went there to bring down the fever. He should be back any minute…” Ginta explained.

So he didn't leave me, he went to help another cub… Kagome felt sheepish for jumping to conclusions. She asked them who had gone with him.

“With?” Hakkaku said, puzzled.

“No one went with him. He insisted we stay here, so…”

“What?!” Kagome yelled. She remembered that none of them really knew what happened at the river. They probably just thought they had all been wet and that they were cuddling…

Kagome blushed, but her anger and concern remained. “One of you get over there RIGHT NOW!” she ordered.

The two wolf demons practically ran into each other, then began arguing over who should go. For them, both tasks were an honor. Kagome was getting angrier by the minute.

“Figure it out… or I will have Kouga skin you both alive!” she commanded through gritted teeth.

I hope it's not too late… I can't believe he went by himself! If he drowns again, no one would know what to do! He should've taken them to the river with him! Kagome mulled over her thoughts over and over while the two wolves decided that Hakkaku would go. Ginta stayed behind and sat on the floor next to Kagome.

“Are you hungry?” he asked. “It's been quite some time since you ate…”

“Just a little. It hasn't been that long. Just a few hours,” she said, smiling.

Ginta looked at her incredulously. “Kagome… you have been asleep for three days. This is the third night since the accident,” he said solemnly.

Kagome was stunned. “Well, I'm not dead yet…” she said sarcastically.

“Ha ha, yes. Well, would you like some food? We had all had dinner already…” he asked, nervous of making her angry.

“Oh, I guess,” Kagome said, a little sadly for missing out on so much.Ginta nodded, and told her that he would be back shortly, and left the cave.T

hree days… she thought. It loomed over her, like a rain cloud over an already overflown river. She thought again of Kouga's safety. She couldn't bear it if he died. When did I begin to care so much? I love all my friends, but is Kouga more than a friend to me now? She began to sob softly, her head in her hands. A growly voice shook her from her thoughts. She looked up, and it was as if her very thoughts had summoned him.

It was dark at the entrance of the cave, but Kagome knew it was him. That voice… She could see his outline, hands on hips. She couldn't see his face, but as he spoke, she knew he had one of his grins on his face.

Kouga had heard her crying before he entered his cave. He had rushed back when Hakkaku had told him that Kagome was awake and had threatened them if one of them didn't accompany him. She was worried… A smile had formed when his companion told him what she threatened them with. Maybe she thinks the cold was gonna get to me again… He had been drying the wolf cub off; a girl, a little older than Yuki, but in animal form. Finished with his task, he instructed Hakkaku to bring the cub back, and took off for home. Now, standing in the mouth of the cave, watching as she cried, he wondered if any of her thoughts lingered on her wounds. He wondered if she thought that he hadn't properly protected her. He wondered if she thought that it wouldn't have happened had she been in InuYasha's care at the time. He didn't want to ask, but he needed to know. Later.

“Who gave you the right to order around my pack?” he said, grinning.

Kagome could practically hear him smile. She began to wipe her face, and she smiled.  “I order whomever I want,” she said with a faux haughty tone.

Kouga's grin became even bigger. He began to walk towards her, the fire he had built before he left lighting him more as he got closer.

When she could see his face in the firelight, Kagome finally felt like it really was him standing there. The ache was present, and emotion swept over her, finally relieved to know he was okay. She began to cry again. Kouga moved to her side.

“Are you in pain?” he asked worriedly, placing his hand on her back.

Between sobs, Kagome answered, not telling the entire truth. “Y…yes. I was just… so glad… that you didn't… that the river hadn't… that you're okay.”

Smiling, Kouga gently lifted her chin, making her look him in the eye. Her eyes quivered like the waters of the very river they spoke of. Kouga stared into them for a few moments before speaking.

“I told you, I'm never leaving you,” he said.

Kagome just stared back, but the emotions that ran through her head showed on her face. What does all this mean? I used to feel like this with InuYasha, but I know that Kouga loves me, and there is no other. What are all these feelings? There are so many, I can't tell what I'm feeling! she screamed in her head.

Kouga could tell she was confused, but she was blushing slightly. On one hand, she hadn't said anything. On the other hand, she hadn't refused him and changed the subject like she used to. He decided to test her feelings. Bending forward and making sure not to bump into her wound, Kouga hugged her. He held her tightly enough to let her know how he felt, but loosely enough not to harm her. She didn't struggle, but instead she wrapped her arms around him, and cried softly.

Kagome had never expected it, but then again, she felt mildly disappointed. Once again, she thought he was going to kiss her, but he was holding her instead. It felt so good, and she didn't want him to let go. And that's when she knew.

Kagome broke the hug, wiping her tears. Suddenly, her appearance came to mind. She ran her fingers through her hair and smoothed her pajama bottoms.

Kouga thought that this was peculiar, but he didn't say anything about it. Instead, he studied her, drinking in her beauty, her scent. He noticed that she was a little pale, and perhaps a bit thin as well.

“Have you eaten yet?” he asked sternly.

This did not bode well for Kagome's sudden self-consciousness, and she shook her head.

“Ginta was getting something for me. He left a few minutes before you came,” she told him.

“Why that lazy… why isn't he back with your food yet?” he demanded.

Kouga stood, stomping as he left the cave. Kagome tried to stop him, but her words were lost on him. She didn't hear any violence, but she worried for them anyways.

Soon afterwards, Kouga came back and told her he was going to check on the elderly, and that he would be back shortly. As he was exiting, both Ginta and Hakkaku returned, each carrying much more food than Kagome could eat. But that wouldn't stop her from trying.

 ***

Angry with himself, Kagome, and Kouga, InuYasha had ran off to be with Kikyou, helping her in the village she was currently staying in. They hadn't even spoken much, only to do their jobs and small talk. There was no mention of the past, and certainly not of the future. InuYasha felt as if he was more depressed being here than at Kaede's. He had been gone for about four nights, but he felt it was time to go back. Otherwise Kagome would be even more mad. Hell, she may have even gone back to her own time again. As he finished clearing a tree out from a house it had fell on, he approached Kikyou.

From the look on his face, she already knew what he was going to say.

“InuYasha, I cannot talk to you in the village. For a priestess to be seen talking to a half-demon… I want them to trust me,” she told him.

“I know. But I have to go back. Everyone is waiting for me,” he said.

“You mean Kagome,” Kikyou said coldly.

“She's one of them, but we have to try to find Naraku,” he explained.

He embraced her, and she hugged him back. Letting go, InuYasha began to run towards Kaede's village.

People always trusted Kagome, even when they saw her traveling with a half-demon. There were times they didn't, but it always turned out okay… InuYasha thought to himself.

About halfway between the two villages, InuYasha crossed a river, and he jumped over it, knowing it was a mountain river, and too cold to go through. On the other side, he resumed running when a familiar coppery smell reached his sensitive nose. He stopped in his tracks and whirled around. He approached the river. Following his nose, he reached the bank, and lowered himself to all fours, sniffing the south bank of the river. It was blood, but it was familiar. It was faint; perhaps old. But he knew that smell. He ran faster towards Kaede's village.

Reaching the town, he ran straight to the old miko's home. Not finding anyone there, he went around to the back of the hut, and found Sango, washing some clothes.

Sango looked at InuYasha and scowled. “So, are you done with Kikyou?” she asked.

The way she had said `done' and the look on the demon slayers' face was rubbing InuYasha the wrong way. He growled.

“Where's Kagome? Did she go back to her own time?” he asked anxiously.

“No, she's still with Kouga. But she probably wouldn't still be there if you weren't always running off with Kikyou…” she said coldly.

InuYasha gritted his teeth. “She's in the mountains?” he asked.“Yeah. She was here a few days ago, but Kouga took her back,” she said, going back to her work.

“Whaddya mean,`took' her? Did he carry her off again?” he growled.

“No, baka, she was unconscious. He took her back to care for her,” she said without missing a beat.

Stunned, InuYasha stood there, expressionless. Sango wondered if she should hit him with the Hiraikotsu to knock some sense into him. Surely he must've smelled her blood with that hypersensitive nose. She and Kaede still couldn't get the stain off the table they had used…

Finally, she began to see a look of dread come across InuYasha's face, which quickly turned into anger.

“What… happened?” he said slowly.

“She was bathing, and a bear attacked her. She's fine now. Kouga killed the bear, and he's tending to her,” she said quickly and matter-of-factly.

Sango barely had enough time to recognize the rage in his face before he turned and leapt away, heading north.

“That'll teach him…” she mumbled under her breath.

Even with the knowledge that she was safe, the anger he felt drove InuYasha to run hard and fast, jumping from rock to rock as he reached the beginning of mountain territory. That wolf has gone too far…

***

Full and rejoined with Kouga, Kagome was happy and feeling better. She wasn't in much pain, only if she moved too much. And every time she made a sound as if she was in pain, Kouga was all over her, asking if she was all right. He reminded her of a mother hen, clucking and scurrying over her chicks. She was content, and thought she might lie down again. As she began to lower herself, Kouga jumped to her side, bracing her and helping her lay in a position that she was comfortable with. She wanted to lay on her right side, and she smiled when Kouga blushed while having his hand on her left hip. When she was comfortable, Kouga sat next to her. Ginta had cleaned up, and was attending to the children with Hakkaku, so they were alone again. Kagome propped her head up with her arm, and they stared at each other for a bit before Kouga broke the silence.

“Kagome, it's almost time to change your bandages again,” he told her.

Kagome looked surprised. “Again? How many times have you changed them?” she asked.

Kouga laughed gently. “Three times a day. That's what Kaede said,” he told her.

“Kaede?” she said quizzically, prompting Kouga to tell her how he had carried her there, and the miko had stitched her up.

Kagome hadn't given her care another thought, but it made sense now. She wondered what everyone had thought, and said so out loud, staring into the fire now.

He had told her that Sango had tried to attack him, to which she laughed. He told her how Sango had then been distracted by Miroku, who was trying to peek at her half naked body. This shocked Kagome a bit, as she had forgotten that she had only had a towel on when she had been attacked. She blushed hard, knowing full well that Kouga would have seen her naked to carry her to Kaede's.

“Don't worry,” he said, “I closed my eyes anytime you were in front of me.”

Kagome nodded and thought about asking him her next question. She decided it was okay.

“What… what about InuYasha?” she said nervously.

Kouga knew it was coming. But she would probably be upset if he told her what Kaede had told him. He decided against it.

“Oh, he was really worried, but Kaede calmed him down. He's okay now,” Kouga said.

Kagome squinted as she looked at him. It made him cringe slightly.

“That is such a lie!” she yelled. “InuYasha would have never let me leave with you if I was hurt!”

Waving his arms in front of him defensively, Kouga backed away slightly. “Okay, okay,” he said submissively, “No, he wasn't there…”

“He was probably with Kikyou…” she said.

Kouga tried to read her expression before continuing. She didn't seem angry or sad at the thought of InuYasha being with Kikyou. Could it be… could she not have the same feelings for InuYasha anymore? He decided to continue. “That's what Kaede said. Kikyou is in the village to the north of theirs," he said, watching her intensively.

Kagome just shrugged. “Yeah, it would figure that if we showed up there late, he'd already be gone…”

Kouga was amazed at her reactions, but he decided not to push it.

“You should get some rest,” he half-commanded her.

Kagome nodded, and she lowered herself to her side again, putting her hands under her head in an almost praying position. She watched as Kouga stood. He turned to leave, but was stopped in his tracks.

“Please… don't leave me,” Kagome pleaded sleepily.

Kouga turned, walking back to the furs where she lay. He could not deny her requests; his body and soul did not allow him to.  Lying next to her, he watched the flames light her face, and she did the same.

“Never,” he said softly.

Kagome mustered all her strength and suddenly threw her arms around his neck. It had hurt, since they were both in awkward positions, but she didn't let him know. Instead, she held him tightly, burying her face in his neck. In the movements, she had also brought her body closer to Kouga's, who was stunned. He had no idea what was happening, but that annoying pressure in his chest was back, along with its' friends, Mr. Burning, and Miss Electricity. Suddenly becoming very possessive, Kouga held Kagome tightly, letting his emotions take over. He ran his fingers through Kagome's hair, and she moaned lightly, and soon he realized she was falling asleep. He smiled, and they fell asleep holding each other.

Chapter 8 by PitaBread
Author's Notes:

 

A first kiss brings rejection for Kagome, and emotions run wild. Things aren't helped when InuYasha finds them, wanting to take Kagome back...   Some adult themes (not really lemony)

Always

Chapter Eight

Kouga had been watching her sleep in the growing daylight; the fire had gone out. She had slept calmly and evenly. She had had nightmares during her three-day slumber, but now she slept peacefully. Ginta and Hakkaku had come to fetch them for breakfast, but Kouga had barked at them to leave him be. They retreated, taking care of the tribe in his absence. There was no where he would rather be than here, holding Kagome and watching her sleep. Although he could think of a few things he would rather be doing with her rather than watch her sleep… Kouga chased those thoughts from his mind and focused on Kagome's breathing. She looked so peaceful. But he knew that he would have to wake her eventually anyways. She needed to eat to get better, and more importantly, her bandages hadn't been changed since before she had woken up yesterday. Last night, he had forgotten, because she had asked him - no, begged him - to stay, and he had been happy to oblige, holding her as they lay in bed together. Was this really happening? Had he really been in bed with Kagome? His Kagome? And was she beginning to love him? Or would her feelings change when she sees InuYasha again? He had so many questions, but did he really want to know the answers? It was much easier to just live in the present, rather than think of the past or future.

 

After a few hours, it was full daylight, and while Kouga stared at the cave ceiling, he felt Kagome stir. She still had her face cradled between his neck and shoulder. She began to wake, and she yawned, her breath sending chills through Kouga's body. He refrained from looking at her just yet - his emotions might send him over the edge. Instead, he waited for some sort of sign, and he finally got it.

 

Kagome had awoken, noticing the daylight. She yawned, and felt Kouga shudder. She looked at his face, so thoughtful, so stern. He was staring at the ceiling, but she didn't see anything in particular that he could be looking at. He must be really thinking hard. He had moved very little. She remembered that she had been laying on her right side, he on his left, and he had held onto her as if his life depended on it. Now, his right arm still lay under her so that she was still cradled by his body, but he was on his back now, apparently for the purpose of staring at that ceiling. He must know that she's awake, but he didn't acknowledge her. So, she would just have to make sure he knew. Kagome put her arm around his chest, noticing that he had slept with his armor on. That must be so uncomfortable, she thought. He hadn't moved, so now she tucked her face back into the crook of his neck, her mouth touching the delicate skin there.

 

“Mmm…” she sounded, moving her legs into a stretch. “Good morning.”

 

She could feel the instant heat in his face and neck as she touched her lips to his neck and spoke. She was pleased, but still she wondered why he didn't face her.

 

Kouga's friends had visited him once again, predominately Miss Electricity. The feeling had stemmed from his gut and ran both ways, into his toes and anchoring in the spot where their flesh met. He wanted to look at her, he wanted to talk to her, to hold her, but he was afraid that he wouldn't be able to without having the uncontrollable urge to kiss her. And he was very afraid of that. Even more, he was afraid of the result. He was afraid that she would push him away, be angry, and that he would lose her forever.

 

Instead, he simply replied, “Good Morning, Kagome.”

 

Kagome was unsure of what all this meant. First of all, she was wary of the strange way he was acting. Was he just being respectful? Or did he truly not love her? Secondly… well, she knew there was a secondly, but she couldn't get past the first. She came up with a plan. She would make him face her.

 

Kagome's right hand was already around his chest, so she simply moved it up a little, releasing one of the straps that held the armor in place. Kouga's heart began to race, but he merely used his peripheral vision to see what she was up to. Her hand moved to the left strap, undoing it as well, and she lifted the whole thing off of him and tossed it to the right of him.

 

“You know, you don't have to wear that thing in bed just because I'm here…” she started.

 

“I know,” he interrupted.

 

She lay there, just staring at his expressionless face for a few moments. He reminded her vaguely of Sesshoumaru. Kagome sighed. Hearing her discontent, Kouga couldn't hold back anymore. He turned his head towards her, and they were practically touching noses.

 

Startled, Kagome stammered. “I… I'm sorry. You can put it back if you'd like.” Her head looked down at her legs, which were still straight from stretching.

 

Kouga smiled. “No, it's more comfortable this way,” he reassured her.

 

Feeling like the old Kouga was back, Kagome smiled back. Suddenly, Kouga reached forward a few inches and lightly kissed Kagome. Shocked at first and eyes wide, Kagome drew back after several moments. She lay there, panting, suddenly aware of her heavy breathing and staring into Kouga's eyes. There were so many things she saw - love, need, fear - and she thought that she felt the same way. She did love him, and needed to be loved. And most of all, she feared being rejected. Again. Still feeling the tingly sensation of his lips against hers, and now feeling another tingle that generated in her belly, she touched Kouga's face, closed her eyes, and kissed him. She felt a burning sensation rise from her toes, filling her body with excitement. His left hand made its' way to the back of her head, pushing her closer to him as he opened his mouth, prying hers open as well. Their tongues intertwined, and Kagome felt like she was on automatic. Her body was responding and reacting on its' own. Her legs had unconsciously laced themselves with his, and they both grasped for each other needily. Kouga's left hand had left her head and traveled to her hip, careful to skip over her wound. His right arm pushed into her back, pulling her even closer, so that their whole bodies touched. Kagome's left hand simply draped under Kouga's head, but her right hand had traveled to his bare back, caressing it. He kissed her hungrily now, pressing harder, and she responded equally. He broke the kiss momentarily to place a few kisses along her jaw line and neck, which he nibbled at. She moaned with the new sensations, and it drew him back to her lips to devour them. Kagome, deciding something had to be done with her right arm, used her nails to rake Kouga's back. He let out a guttural, surreal growl, and his movements were just short of frenzied. He rubbed his lower body against hers, and she made a raspy, breathy noise that he wished to have her make over and over again. Finally, he used both his hands to cup her face, still kissing her with such force that both of their faces were pained. She lost control, and melted, leaving him to do as he pleased. Suddenly, Kouga jumped out of the bed and for a moment she thought he was going to undress, but instead he began to walk towards the cave entrance.

 

“Kouga?” she said, still panting heavily.

 

“I'm… sorry. I can't…” he began, not looking at her.

 

Kagome just watched him, puzzled beyond belief. She attempted to get up quickly, which made her hiss with pain. This resulted in Kouga being right next to her once again. He asked if she was all right.

 

“All right? All RIGHT? NO, I am NOT all right!” she yelled. Kouga looked pained as he helped her sit again, and she felt bad for snapping at him. “Don't I deserve an explanation?” she asked softly.

 

He nodded. “I'm sorry, but until I know for sure, I can't…” he began again.

 

“Are you kidding me? I wouldn't do this if I weren't sure! I've never kissed anyone like that!” she said.

 

“No… it's…” he searched for the words, but they evaded him.

 

Kagome looked at him expectantly.

 

Shutting his eyes tightly, he continued. “I can't, until I know for sure… that you're… not thinking of HIM!” he cried, jumping up and running from the cave.

 

Kagome just stared after him, mouth agape. Suddenly, it all made sense.

***

 InuYasha hadn't stopped since he left Kaede's village. He had been running for a few hours straight. He was getting close to the mountains where the Yourouzoku live. Leaping between the cliffs, he kept going, only thinking of Kagome. What did I do? I shouldn't have left. I shouldn't have made her mad. If I hadn't gone to see Kikyou… The thought ripped through his head like a sword through water. He didn't know if any good had come of his sneaking off to see Kikyou, but bad had definitely become of it. And now she's with that damned wolf… He's probably got his hands all over her…

*** 

Kagome just sat where she had been, and cried. She had teared up here and there, but nothing was so upsetting to her than what Kouga had said. Not only did he reject her, but he didn't trust her. `I can't, until I know for sure… that you're… not thinking of HIM!' His words played over and over again in her mind as if she had it on her iPod playlist. She attempted to dissect it, word by word. Well, he did say `until', so he didn't exactly reject me. Maybe he's just really afraid of being rejected too. Maybe, once he sees that I'm not after InuYasha anymore, he'll lighten up and we can be together. Did he always think that I had InuYasha on my mind as we were together? Maybe that's why he's so upset. But he wasn't so upset since he kissed me. Then again, he was really distant at first. Maybe he was debating whether or not to kiss me. Kagome giggled under her breath at the thought of it. She began to manipulate her body so that she could attempt to stand up. After a few more tries, she was able to bend in such a way that it wasn't as painful, and she stood. She caught her breath, allowing her body time to recuperate from the sudden torture that was moving. She steadied herself against a wall, thinking of ways she could try to explain to Kouga how she felt. Suddenly, she heard a blast that was all too familiar…

***

Kouga, after leaving his cave, walked aimlessly about his camp for a while. After calming down a bit, he visited the sick elders, then the children, taking mental notes to keep his mind off of the betrayed and shocked look Kagome had given him. He knew that his words had probably hurt her. But he was unable to keep his feelings from her. Whenever she was around, he felt the need to tell her everything, whether it was a status report of the mountains or the health of a wolf cub, or his feelings towards her. And as he thought of her, speaking and laughing with him, he began to calm down. He had just finished with his rounds, and he called Ginta over to ready Kagome's bandages and for Hakkaku to boil some water.

 

“So then, are you calmer now?” Ginta asked.

 

A vein popping in his forehead, Kouga turned to face them.

 

“Well, you were yelling, so we were worried about you and nee-chan…” Hakkaku explained, backing away from a now approaching Kouga.

 

They each took off in their respective directions, Kouga giving up, not knowing which to punch first.

 

He mumbled something about wanting to put a foot up each ones' ass and started walking back towards his cave. He thought of Kagome's face when she first woke up and smiled at him. He thought of how she felt, how she tasted. When he was about 10 feet from the mouth of his home, he heard a noise; something was approaching - fast. He attempted to sniff the air, but the direction of the wind was not blowing in his favor, so he just kept listening. A few minutes later, he could tell it was close, and almost too late he recognized a growl.

 

"Kaze no Kizu!”

 

Kouga leapt away from the caves, and he looked back to see a huge row of trees that had been cleared by the Tessaiga. He ran away from the caves, shouting.

 

“Baka! What do you think you're doing? There are innocent children and sick elders there!” Kouga yelled.

 

Finally leaping into view, InuYasha shouted back. “Where's Kagome, you stupid wolf?! I came to take her back!”

 

Although he had heard similar things from InuYasha before, and despite the fact that he still didn't trust Kagomes' feelings entirely, that statement drove him wild with possessiveness.

 

“Forget it, dog breath! She's not going anywhere with you!” Kouga responded, dodging one of Tessaiga's swings.

 

This just made InuYasha even more furious. He swung at Kouga again. “She's not staying with you! You can't even protect her! I smelled her blood all the way down by Kaede's village!”

 

“That's because I brought her there to get help, baka!” Kouga taunted. He leapt further down the mountain, attempting to keep InuYasha's fury away from his tribe.

 

“I've had enough of your shit, Kouga! Leave Kagome alone!” he said, readying the demon fang for another attack. “Kongousouhaaaaa!”

 

Kouga jumped a little too wide when he should have jumped high, underestimating the Tessaiga's diamond wind scar attack. One of the diamond spears embedded itself into the back of Kouga's right leg, sending him crashing to the floor. Had he not known better, he also would have tumbled right off a cliff. Crawling away from the edge of the chasm, Kouga pulled himself to his feet to find InuYasha gone. Stunned, he simply looked around for a few moments. Suddenly he realized that the pain was a deliberate distraction…

***

Kagome, wild with fear, instantly knew what had happened. InuYasha must have found out what happened to her, and he went crazy with jealousy, as always. Even though he still wants Kikyou, all it takes is a little attention from Kouga… she blushed, thinking of the attention that they had paid each other. Her thoughts were shaken from her as she heard the all-too-familiar `Kongousouha', and she feared for Kouga. She used her hands to brace herself against the cave wall, helping her reach the entrance. Kagome stumbled into the sunlight, blocking the sun from her eyes with her hand. When her eyes adjusted, she unshielded her face to see InuYasha staring at her from a few meters away. He looked afraid and angry at the same time. She gasped, even though she had known it was him. She looked at him, and he could see the pain in her eyes. He walked to her, sheathing the Tessaiga. Kagome stood there, wondering what he was going to do or say. When he reached her, he stood in front of her, just staring into her chocolate-colored eyes. He looked shaken and sad.

 

“I… InuYasha…” she said softly.

 

At the mention of his name, he closed his eyes and his head dropped down.

 

“Kagome, I was so worried. Why didn't you stay at Kaede's? If you had stayed, you wouldn't have gotten hurt…”

 

As he finished, he hugged her. Kagome was very surprised. It wasn't often that InuYasha showed his emotions, but this was one of those rare moments. Oddly, Kagome felt sad, instead of happy that he was holding her.

 

“InuYasha, I'm okay… really,” she told him, smiling.

 

InuYasha finally looked up into her eyes, and Kagome found it hard to read his expression. They stared at each other for a few moments, and when Kagome started to turn her head, InuYasha grabbed her by the shoulders and kissed her. Kagome was so shocked that her mind raced. But InuYasha was kissing her passionately and holding her lovingly, so she closed her eyes, and kissed him back. Inside, though, Kagome felt different. She had wanted this, hadn't she? She had wanted InuYasha to be jealous and come for her, but now it felt wrong. She backed away from InuYasha, breaking the kiss. He looked at her questioningly. She looked away.

 

“I'm sorry, InuYasha… I can't,” she said.

 

InuYasha raised an eyebrow at her. “Eh?”

 

She leaned her back against the outside of the cave, closing her eyes and sighing.

 

InuYasha seemed angry now. “What are you talking about? Don't you care about me anymore?”

 

Kagome looked at him sadly. “InuYasha, I'll always care for you. But…” She didn't want to finish the sentence, for fear of the fight that would ensue.

 

Suddenly, a lighting bolt of pain struck her side, causing her to double over. InuYasha touched her shoulder, asking if she was ok.

 

“Yeah, I'm ok. I probably just moved wrong or something,” she said, uprighting herself.

 

Anger spread across InuYasha's face like wildfire. “That's why you need to come back! That mangy wolf can't protect you! Look at what happened while he was supposed to be taking care of you!”

 

Now Kagome felt herself becoming angry. She was angry on both her own and Kouga's behalf. “And what would have happened if I was with you? You also said you'd always protect me, but with you going off to see Kikyou, I could've gotten hurt when I was at Kaede's, too! Or worse!”

 

“But I don't want to see Kikyou now…” he began.

 

“Oh really? And will you say that about me someday? You just now figured out that you want to be with me, but the minute you see Kikyou again a few weeks from now, you'll go back to the same old InuYasha. Sorry… but I can't let you do that to me anymore,” she said, tears welling up in her eyes.

 

InuYasha looked away, his ears drooping. “But Kagome, I really do want to care for you and protect you…”

 

Now the tears were flowing freely, and she sobbed as she replied, “But… you… can't.”

 

InuYasha approached her slowly, and had her cornered against the rocky wall.

 

“Please, InuYasha… you're never going to get over Kikyou, and I'll always be second to her. I want to be first, InuYasha, and I have that… with him.”

 

“With… HIM?!” he cried. “Kouga?! He's not as strong as me! I can protect you better!”

 

“Oh, InuYasha… I know it's important to you, but I don't care how strong you are. And I wouldn't care if Kouga was stronger than you either. And as for protecting me… who's going to protect me… against you?”

 

The words slammed into him like a brick wall. Mouth agape, he tried to protest. But Kagome didn't want to hear it.

 

“You have hurt me more than any youkai, more than any ogre, spectre… even Naraku. And now, I'm not sad. I don't have to sit here and compare myself to her… wonder why I wasn't good enough… I can just enjoy being with someone now,” she told him.

 

Every sentence cut into him like a hot knife through butter. Unfortunately, he couldn't completely deny it. He knew how much he had hurt her. All she had ever done was try to support him, be there for him. And he had trampled on her heart. Many times. He had never thought about it, but why had she stayed with him? She could have just stayed in her time. But he wouldn't be there. That's why she came back. So he refused to believe that now, she cared more for Kouga than him. With Kagome still trapped between his arms and the wall, he looked directly into her eyes. He used one hand to caress her cheek, then he used that hand to hold her face, as he kissed her again. This time, even though she was suddenly getting used to kissing boys, she pushed him away.

 

“Stop it, InuYasha! I won't let you do this to me anymore!” she cried.

 

He sighed and turned away. Suddenly, his ears turned towards the trees, sensing someone there. They both looked to see Kouga, stumbling towards them with the diamond spear still embedded in his thigh.

 

“Kouga!” Kagome shouted, running towards him.

 

She reached him, throwing her arms around him. “What… was that from Kongousouha? InuYasha!” she yelled.

 

“He wanted to stop me from coming here! I had to do something!” he shouted back.

 

Kagome thought of saying `osuwari', but decided it wasn't hers to say anymore. She just glared at him, and then she began to help Kouga towards his cave. InuYasha was stunned. It wasn't the first time she had helped Kouga and abandoned him, but this time was different.

 

Both Kagome and Kouga heard the deep growl, and they turned to find InuYasha charging, claws ready, coming for Kouga.

 

“Bring it on, mutt!” he challenged.

 

“No!” Kagome cried, pleading with both of them.

 

But Kouga stood his ground, and InuYasha was still coming for him. They clashed, InuYasha's arm coming down, but Kouga was fast enough to move so that it hit the armor on his chest. InuYasha's other hand came barreling towards Kouga's side, missing as the wolf demon quickly side stepped. InuYasha charged again, this time pretending to go for his head, then at the last moment, he shifted and punched him in the leg that was wounded. Kouga growled with pain, stumbling off balance now. InuYasha came again, this time readying his claws for a slash to the neck, hopefully spilling most of his blood. Kagome, seeing this, cried out.

 

“Stop it, InuYasha!” she said, jumping towards Kouga, putting herself in between InuYasha and the wolf prince.

 

Too late, InuYasha's claws came down, and they slashed Kagome on her right shoulder. Not serious enough to really hurt her, but the blood flowed freely, quickly. Kagome looked at the wound in shock, then at InuYasha. The hanyou just stared at his hand with eyes wide, Kagome's blood trickling from his fingers. He remembered the times that she had done that for him, risking her life so that he wouldn't get hurt. Was he the enemy now?

 

Kouga, seeing Kagome bleeding again, became furious. “What the fuck are you doing?”

 

InuYasha just stood there, looking at his fingers, then at Kagome's pained face. That's probably how she always looked at me, I just never noticed it…

 

Kouga, now holding Kagome upright, called for Ginta and Hakkaku, and the wolves of the pack began forming a chain of howls, finally reaching the two, who began to run back to camp. Kouga ripped a pant leg off of Kagome's pajama bottom so that they became rather short shorts on the right side, and he used part of it to apply pressure to Kagome's new wound. InuYasha, upon seeing the wolf handle her like this, took a step forward and growled. Kouga growled back, and InuYasha decided it was time to leave.

 

“I'm sorry… Kagome,” he said softly to her, stepping closer again.

 

“I know you are, InuYasha,” she said, smiling softly as Kouga checked the wound.

 

InuYasha stood there, watching as Kouga pulled the right strap of her tank top down, and Kouga was annoyed by their lack of privacy.

 

“What do you want, another kiss? Sorry, you're not getting one,” he said, turning his attention back to the shoulder.

 

Both InuYasha and Kagome seemed shocked, knowing that he had seen their kiss. Or had he seen both? Just how much had he heard? InuYasha looked angry that his private moment had been seen, but Kagome smiled at Kouga, and sat on the floor. InuYasha took this as his cue to leave, and began to run from the caves. Kagome wanted to call out to him, but what would she say? Nothing that came from her mouth could make him feel better. Perhaps Kikyou could make him feel better. Yes, perhaps he would run away to Kikyou, and she would make him feel better. `But I don't want to see Kikyou now…' he had said. She wished she could follow him, to see if this was true. If he truly cared about Kagome, he would not go to see the undead miko. But, she couldn't. And it didn't hurt her to know that he might be going to her. And this gave her some comfort, despite the luck she had been having recently, whereas wounds were concerned. Such is life in the Sengoku Jidai…

*** 

Kouga had heard InuYasha and Kagome talking. The first things he had heard were Kagome telling him that she would always care for him. He had wanted to burst through the trees, killing the dog demon, but he was still slow from his wound. So he kept up his pace, still listening to their conversation. He heard Kagome in pain, and InuYasha try to talk her into coming back, but she had resisted, making him proud. But then he hadn't heard anything, which had worried him. If he touches Kagome… he had thought. But then he heard Kagome turn him down, and they quarreled over past times and Kikyou, and it seemed like Kagome was winning. He had reached the end of the forest, where the trees made way for the caves, and he stopped to lean against a tree. Neither had noticed him, so he watched. He watched Kagome cry as she defended him, and he watched InuYasha helplessly attempt to convince her to go with him. The fluttery feeling was in his stomach again, hearing Kagome tell InuYasha that she didn't care about his strength, that he wouldn't be able to protect her. Unfortunately, he had also watched their argument evolve into a situation where InuYasha had her pinned, and he saw the hanyou use it to his advantage, and kissed her again. But this time, Kagome pushed him away, and was angry, which ironically made Kouga happy. She had yelled at him once more before Kouga decided it was enough, and let his presence be known, by purposely rustling some leaves on the ground. He had heard what he needed. And now, he knew that she truly didn't care for InuYasha the same way anymore, leaving room in her heart for him, finally. He smiled at Kagome, helping her to her feet, and they both walked into his cave in silence. They sat inside, and Kouga winced as the motions set against the wound in his right leg.

 

“I'm so sorry…” Kagome began.

 

Kouga interrupted. “You've said that too many times today. I'm the one who's sorry. I should've been able to get you out of the way. For now, let's get cleaned up,” he instructed, smiling.

 

Together, they pulled the diamond spear out of Kouga's leg, and it bled profusely, to which Kagome ripped the other pant leg off her pajamas, now leaving her with very skimpy shorts. She blushed, knowing that they were even shorter than her school skirt, but Kouga just looked at her hungrily, smiling wolfishly. Suddenly, Ginta and Hakkaku appeared, and there was much commotion, between explaining what had happened and instructing them what to do.

 

They spent half of the afternoon cleaning and bandaging each other, the wolves bringing them lunch so that they wouldn't have to move much. Kouga asked for reports on the sick, and although most were still ill, none were as bad as Yuki, or the girl wolf cub. Then again, not a single one had healed to the point where they were cured, either. They must have both had the same idea on their minds, but Kagome brought it up first, and they agreed that pending how they both felt, they would leave tomorrow, in search of the rare, pink, star-shaped flower.

 

Chapter 9 by PitaBread
Author's Notes:

 

The new couple heal AND heat things up, but Kouga doesn't let it get too far, as he is still guarded about Kagome's feelings for InuYasha. They begin the trip to find the rare pink flower, and stop by Kaede's village along the way...  SEMI-LEMONY

 

Always

Chapter 9

 

Kouga awoke early; the sky was still a dark blue color, although by the way it smelled, sunrise was not far off. He turned to find Kagome sleeping innocently. He tried to arrange himself so that he was on his side, facing her. In the process, he was placing the weight of his body on the right, and his thigh screamed bloody murder. The leg was healing much quicker than a humans' would, but it still hurt. He hissed with pain, and Kagome stirred, immediately making him regret his actions. She slept on her stomach, her head on a pillow of fur, but her arms resting under the pillow. If she had been standing, she would look like she was defending herself against some dark form that was seeking her soul… She began to move around, shifting herself so that she was on her left side, unconsciously facing Kouga. She smiled in her sleep, and the sight of it made Kouga's heart feel as if it was going to burst. He reached up to her face, caressing the smooth skin and admiring her raven hair. But as lovely as she was when she slept, he loved her more when she was awake. He loved what she had to say, what she did, and most of all, the way she looked at him. He left her face, playing with her dark locks now, intertwining the shiny strands with his fingers. He began twirling them around, his claws separating them and letting them fall.

 

Kagome woke up, feeling something in her hair. She didn't open her eyes, but felt her hair lift and move. She relished the thought of it all; a man she loved was in bed with her, adoring her just as much. This would never be possible with InuYasha. He could never be… like this. She allowed him to keep playing with her hair for a few more moments, until her hygiene took over, knowing full well that she hadn't had a bath in some time. She opened her eyes only to see Kouga staring right back at her. She smiled gently, he gave her his usual grin.

 

He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close, and suddenly they were nose to nose. They stared at each other for a few moments, each wondering if it was okay to do what they wanted. Finally, Kagome made the first move. She leaned forward, gently, and placed her lips on Kouga's. His mind racing, the wolf demon wanted to be sure he wasn't still sleeping. So he placed one of his hands high on Kagome's thigh, almost touching her rear.She broke the kiss, quirking an eyebrow at him and clearing her throat.

 

“Just what do you think you're doing? Have you been hanging around with Miroku?” she said playfully.

 

“Eh? The houshi? Uh, no. I, uh…” Now feeling foolish, he stammered. He eventually regained his thought and told her that he simply wanted to make sure he wasn't dreaming.

 

Kagome at one point may not have taken this from anyone else, but now it seemed sweet. She smiled seductively at him and whispered to him, “Well, then, perhaps I should make sure, too…”

 

With that, she kissed him again, and he was pleasantly surprised. Closing his eyes, Kouga pulled her even closer to him with one hand, the other hand pushing her head towards his. He kissed her fiercely, and she reciprocated. Their tongues finding each other again, the miko and the wolf prince were in a contest, trying to show the other just how badly they were wanted. The hand that had been supporting Kagome's head was now running through her hair, twirling it again. Suddenly, Kouga broke the kiss to trail a few kisses along her jawline, paying close attention to her neck and ears when he came to those points. He nibbled and sucked on her earlobe gently, and she hissed with pleasure. He had his other hand on her back, but now it was on her hip, loosening and tightening reflexively; he was careful to avoid her wound. When he began to concentrate on her neck, he grazed his fangs against her sensitive skin, and he noticed many changes. For one, her heartbeat had sped up. He could hear it pounding, although barely, since the sound of his own heart was most deafening. Also, her scent had changed, and he took into consideration that females went through this when they were ready to mate. It had crossed his mind, but he knew Kagome was young. She always blushed, got embarrassed easily, and he had heard her call many a male `pervert'. So, he surmised that although her body was ready, her mind was not. Slowly, so as not to alarm her, he pulled away, leaving her flushed and gasping for air.

 

Kagome was feeling more wanted and wanting than she had ever felt, and the things Kouga was doing to her stirred a fire that was kindled with every touch. She hadn't wanted to stop, not knowing where it would lead, but she felt Kouga slowly withdrawing. When she had caught enough of her breath to speak, she asked him why he had stopped, and he had told her that there was much to do today, and that if he stayed with her for a few more seconds, he wasn't sure he would leave the cave at all today. Unsure as how to interpret this, Kagome raised an eyebrow, looking at him quizzically. Kouga noticed the look, and laughed heartily. He pulled her close, kissed her forehead, and turned to get up. She hadn't known if he meant that he would want to have sex, or if she just made him want to stay in bed all day, but either way, she figured it wasn't that bad. But am I ready for sex? Do I really want to make that kind of commitment with a youkai from the Feudal Era? Kagome shook her head. No, he's not some youkai from the Feudal Era. He's Kouga, and it doesn't matter what time he's from. A crushing thought hit Kagome with a blow so powerful that her head hurt. He can't come back with me. With InuYasha, I never thought of it, because he could come get me, or I would come here. But with Kouga…

 

***

 

Kouga had been stretching and yawning, his tail swishing, getting ready for a new day with the now-rising sun, when he noticed that Kagomes' heart had sped up again, thumping against her ribs like thunder during a storm. He thought that maybe she was ready after all, until he turned to look at her face. He was shocked to find that instead of a smiling, coy Kagome, he found a worried, wide-eyed Kagome. He instantly knelt by her side and put a hand on her thigh.

 

“Are you okay, Kagome?” he asked worriedly.

 

Coming out of her shock, she looked up to see Kouga looking concerned. Not wanting to trample on their good times, she tried to toss the thought aside and put on a happy face. So she lied.

 

“Oh, yeah. I just, um… I think I forgot something I like to bathe with at my home,” she said convincingly.

 

He studied her face, and approving, he got up again. “Okay. Well, maybe you could get it when we go to Kaede's village.”

 

“When are we going there? And for what?” she asked.

 

“I thought we'd go there on the way to get that flower,” he told her.

 

She nodded her approval. She was nervous to see InuYasha, but she figured that it was better now than later. She brushed her feelings aside, and seeing that the sun was only half-risen, she asked to take a bath. Kouga nodded and told her he would escort her, but he couldn't leave her. She knew the reason, and she figured she would figure something out when they got to the river. Quickly, Kagome picked a few things out of her pack and brought her dress to wash in the river. She also decided that since she was in the mountains, she would wear something that kept her a little warmer. Finding a pair of hip hugger jeans and a turtleneck, she looked for underwear and socks, bundled everything together, and told Kouga she was ready. As they left camp, Kouga was greeted by a few of the wolves that had animal bodies, and told them that they were going to the river, and that they should get breakfast prepared, as he and Kagome were going on a journey together. They barked their approval, and ran back into camp. Kagome giggled, and he nudged her.

 

“What's so funny?” he asked playfully.

 

Still giggling, Kagome answered, “It's not funny, it's just cute. How you are with your family.”

 

“Well, we gotta look out for each other. And it's my job to make sure they stay safe.” His smile fell from his face, turning into a slight frown. “It's my responsibility.”

 

Kagome had known Kouga for quite a while now, and she knew he was very proud of being the leader of his clan. But was he regretting it now that he wanted to turn his attention elsewhere? He would probably never admit it either… So instead, she smiled at him and leaned in against him. Her bad shoulder on the opposite side, Kouga smiled back and placed his arm around her, his hand resting on her right hip. A few minutes later, they arrived at the river, and Kouga stayed with her but with his back to her, and she cleaned herself in the cold water, wrapping a towel around herself and then washing her dress. She dressed in the slim fitting jeans and turtleneck, and decided that she wanted to put her hair up. Kouga, now watching her intensely, thought her clothes were strange, but he liked how she looked in them. Kagome searched for a stick, and when she found one small and sturdy enough, was able to twist her hair into a bun, inserting the stick to hold her hair in place. Kouga looked on in amazement, and soon she was ready to go. They walked back to camp silently, but they exchanged glances occasionally, smiling. The miko and the demon walked back to the wolf pack, and they all shared a breakfast together, talking and laughing together.

 

***

 

Sango had been helping Kaede with a few chores around the house when she noticed InuYasha sulking. Yesterday, he had come back from what she could only assume was the Yourouzoku tribe extremely sour looking and moody. He had refused to eat with them, and he slept away from them, although she could tell that he hadn't gone off to see Kikyou. He had stayed up in a tree all night, and when everyone began to wake, she heard him jump off somewhere in the forest. Now he was back, but staying away from them, sitting under a tree. Either he doesn't want anyone knowing where he was going, or he really had chosen Kagome. But what do I do? If he really did decide, I can't ask Kagome to reconsider, and InuYasha won't be consolable, either. Kagome must be happy with Kouga, otherwise she would have come back with InuYasha. It was what Kagome had wanted - for him to come after her and tell her that he had decided to be with her - and now that he had, it was too late. Typical InuYasha. He always figured things out past their due date. Sango beat a mat so that the dust lifted off of it, and Shippou held it still while she did so. She was still thinking of the new love triangle when the kitsune spoke to her.

 

“Sango, is Kagome ever going to come back?” he asked almost tearfully.

 

Sango eyed the little demon woefully, but decided that optimism was the best answer.

 

“No matter what happens, Shippou, Kagome will always be our friend. So we'll always see her,” the taijiya said, patting the fox demon's head.

 

He seemed content with her answer, although he didn't smile. They just kept dusting the rug.

 ***

 

Kagome packed her bag and prepared for their upcoming trip. Kouga checked all the sick once more. When he came back from his rounds, he informed her that a few of the elderly and children were getting worse. She nodded and told him that they should be getting on the road. He nodded in agreement, and checked his thigh. Kagome noticed this, and checked her own wounds. Her shoulder, although not as bad, hurt more than her side. Now Kouga noticed her checking her wounds as well.

 

“Do they hurt?” he asked, concerned.

 

Kagome looked up and noticed his stare. She thought it was sweet how he always worried about her first and smiled. “Not much,” she answered softly, “My shoulder hurts more, but I'm worried about your leg…”

 

Kouga walked to her and wrapped his arms around her, their bodies fitting together like puzzle pieces. He chuckled, and squeezed her a little.

 

“You don't need to worry about me, Kagome. I told you, I heal quickly, like InuYasha. Haven't you seen how he heals? It would take weeks for a human to heal from this, but do you see how quickly this has healed? By tomorrow morning it'll be just like new,” he told her reassuringly.

 

Kagome nodded. “Yes, I know. But it must hurt more than you let me know. You just like to put on a brave face…”

 

“So I assume that you are in more pain as well, then?” he said, raising an eyebrow at her.

 

“Maybe, but I would never tell you,” she said, releasing him from the hug.

 

He saw her coy smile, and let her know that he needed to change her bandages. She agreed, and he did so quickly. When he finished wrapping the wound, they got up and Kagome began to pick up her pack, to which Kouga growled. Surprised, Kagome began to turn to face him, but before she could, Kouga took her backpack, trying to mimic her actions, placing it on his shoulders. Kagome giggled.

 

“Ready?” he asked with a grin.

 

Kagome nodded, and they began their journey, heading towards Kaede's village.

-----------

 

Mid-way, Kouga asked Kagome if she wouldn't mind if he carried her; he was anxious to get everything done quickly. She had agreed, so now that they were on the skirmishes of the village, Kouga put Kagome down, and they walked together to Kaede's hut. Kirara had been sunning in the early afternoon sun and had noticed them first. Mewling, she ran to Kagome, jumping into her arms. Kagome accepted the fire-cat, and giggled as she hugged her. Kouga chuckled along with her. Sango, hearing Kirara, came running outside with a knife in her hand.

 

“What, are you going to chop me, Sango?” Kagome said, laughing.

 

Sango giggled and ran to her friend. They embraced, but the movement caused Kagome to move her shoulder in such a way that she hissed from the pain. Sango, taken aback, released her. Kouga was immediately at her side.

 

“I'm sorry, Kagome…” Sango told her friend.

 

“It's okay, Sango. You didn't know,” she said smiling.

 

Sango asked her what happened, and she was reluctant. Kouga, seeing that she was uncomfortable, gave Sango an answer.

 

“She's very clumsy. She was washing her clothes, and there was a beehive, and when they got close, she bumped into…” he began.

 

“Ah, I see… never mind. We have catching up to do!” Sango interrupted. She took her friend by the hand and brought her inside the hut, also motioning for Kouga to come.

 

Inside, Kagome caught up with Miroku, Shippou, and Kaede. They all exchanged stories for a bit, and since Kaede and Sango had been making lunch at the time, Kagome insisted on helping. Kouga played with Kirara and Shippou a bit, and he spoke with Miroku. Kagome was pleased with how well everyone got along. She wondered where InuYasha was, but even though she wanted to look for him, she knew that he wouldn't join them. Not with Kouga there. She knew him too well, and it was bad enough how they fought when Kagome was with InuYasha, but now that she was with Kouga? Impossible. To InuYasha, losing Kagome to Kouga was like losing the Tessaiga to Sesshoumaru. Was she InuYasha's human Tessaiga?

 

When they were done eating, Kagome excused herself, and she went outside, hoping to find InuYasha. She looked in the trees, and found herself in the forest. She kept going, and eventually she made her way to Goshinboku. She went to the tree, caressing the bark, asking it what she should do. The old, weathered wood held the secrets of time that surpassed her by many years, yet she knew this tree in the future. Touching the trunk, she closed her eyes. She was there for a few minutes, and didn't notice the person approaching her.

 

“Memories?” he said.

 

She knew the voice immediately. “Of course. I'll have to look at this tree even when I go back to my time, InuYasha,” she said, opening her eyes. She found herself looking into a pair of golden eyes that she had longed for. But that feeling was different now. The anxiousness of acceptance from one you love was replaced by panic. She was afraid that he would be indifferent towards her now. And Kouga? Would he try to take it out on him?

 

InuYasha stood facing her, and he too reached for the tree, resting his clawed hands on the bark. “If I was a full demon like him, would you want to be with me then?” he asked, his voice angry, but his eyes telling her otherwise.

 

Kagome sighed and shook her head. “InuYasha, I don't like Kouga because he's a full demon. I wouldn't care if he was human, either,” she began.

 

“So what if I become human?” he interrupted.

 

“You just don't get it, InuYasha!” she said angrily, but not raising her voice. “I fell in love. With Kouga. Not because of what he is. Because he was devoted to me. He opened himself to me, took care of me, talked to me… He was trying to be my friend,” she explained.

 

“I didn't protect you? Or take care of you?” he asked angrily.

 

“InuYasha. You made me soup once and you protected me from demons, yes. But you never really opened to me. Unless it was about Kikyou. I barely know anything about your childhood, about your relationship with Sesshoumaru, about your father… You wanna know what I know about you? One: Izayoi was a human who was with your father, the Great Dog Lord of the West, and your father lived just long enough to see and name you. And your mother tried to shield you, but she died, and you had a tough childhood. Two: You and Kikyou had a special relationship that was cut short by Naraku, and now, you're obsessed with avenging that relationship. Three: You guard yourself very well, and in doing so, you shut out everyone. Even me! I'm not saying you have to pour your heart out to me, but you never want to tell me anything. But obviously, you have no problem talking to Kikyou, so why don't you go do that!” she ranted, InuYasha staring at her with a scowl through her whole monologue.

 

She thought she saw tears forming in his golden orbs, but instantly, he was gone. Now upset that she had angered him, Kagome cried. She lowered herself so that she sat on her legs, still touching the ancient tree, and cried. About ten minutes later, Kouga found Kagome crying, and knew that she must've fought with InuYasha. He sat with her, and held her so that her back was against his armor. He cradled her, and she cried. And when she stopped crying, he helped her up, and he carried her back to the village, where they said their goodbyes and left for Hinna Lake. Not a word of InuYasha or what happened was mentioned by either of them.

Chapter 10 by PitaBread
Author's Notes:

 

On their journey, things heat up again for the pair, but this time they're stopped by emotions...

SEMI-LEMONY

 

Always

Chapter 10

 

They had been on the road for about three hours when Kouga began to notice that Kagome was lagging behind. He had barely noticed it - he surmised that she had hidden it well, catching herself doing it, then speeding up. Kouga, lost in his own thoughts, had only now noticed, so he wondered how long this had been going on. But what to do? The girl was stubborn - he knew that if he asked her if she wanted to be carried, she would only argue more. So instead, he simply slowed until they were side-by-side, then he quickly got behind her and scooped her up.

 

“Hey!” she said angrily, “What's the big idea?”

 

“Don't argue with me. I saw you getting behind, and I thought it would be nice to carry you for a while, since you're hurt…” he answered.

 

“But…” she started.

 

“Ah, ah, ah… No arguing.”

 

Like a child who was just told `No' in a toy store, Kagome just folded her arms and pouted, which made Kouga chuckle.

 

The sound of his laughter made Kagome smile, and since she couldn't be mad at him anymore, she threw her arms around his neck and pressed her face into the crook of his neck.

 

“Thank you,” she said quietly. Kouga just smiled. Suddenly bringing her head upright again and a stern look on her face made Kouga stop in his tracks. “But, if you're carrying me, I want you to promise me something,” she said.

 

Kouga nodded in apprehension.

 

“Until your leg is healed fully, I don't want you to run,” she said, crossing her arms again.

 

“But…” he began.

 

“Ah, ah, ah… no arguing!” she said playfully.

 

Kouga laughed and agreed. He began walking again, and Kagome settled back into her spot between his chin and collarbone. They walked for about three more hours, talking to each other about families and childhoods, when Kouga abruptly flipped Kagome so that she was standing again. Worried that she was too heavy, Kagome began to speak, but Kouga, knowing her well, stopped her and told her that they were to make camp here. It was a good location; there was a rock wall, and an area thick with trees, so that they were guarded on two sides. Kagome nodded her approval, and they began preparations. Kouga told Kagome that he would find them something to eat and fetch water, and Kagome began to find wood for a fire. She succeeded in building a fire, and began to spread out her bedroll, and laid out a few furs for Kouga, which he had asked her to bring. As the sun became lower in the sky, she noticed how cool it was becoming. She shivered, despite the fact that she had jeans and a turtleneck on. She inspected her clothes. Her cream colored sweater was still clean. I guess riding in the arms of a youkai will do that, she giggled to herself. Her hip hugging jeans were a little dirty on the front part of the leg where she had laid in the dirt after her spat with InuYasha, but not so dirty that she had to wash them right away. She wanted to change into her pajamas, but would she be too cold? Should she just sleep in her clothes? Kagome told herself that she would worry about that when the time came. Now, with nothing better to do except wait for Kouga to come back, she sat against the rock wall, which was still warm from a day in the sun. Without Shippou to watch over, InuYasha to look after, and Miroku to watch out for, there wasn't much for her to do. Am I useless without my friends? Kagome had started to feel like she might stay with Kouga, but now she began to feel a pull in the other direction. Not towards InuYasha, specifically, but towards all her friends. Should she stay with her group? Did they need her? Or did she need Kouga more?

 

Kouga had taken Kagome's pot with him so that he could find water, but there weren't any streams nearby. He didn't smell any water for miles. But he couldn't go searching for water once he had their dinner, so he continued. He had been going West, but now he decided to change course and go South. Despite his promise to Kagome, whom, he noted, wasn't here, he needed to accomplish his tasks quickly. He didn't like leaving Kagome alone for long, and the sun was getting lower, but he was going to have to run to find the items on his invisible shopping list. He felt a chill in the air as the wind blew by, and he wondered if Kagome was warm enough. The wind shifted, coming from the south, and he smelled a pure, fresh water source. He ran towards it, and after several minutes, he found a crisp, clean, deep river. He tasted it, and it was so refreshing that he thought that this may be the river that Jinenji spoke of, the river that fed Hinna Lake. Were they close? The wolf demon filled the kettle with water and began to stand, but movement caught his eye. There was something moving in the water - two of them. He eyed them anxiously, wondering if they would leave or advance. He put the kettle down slowly, as to not startle the swimming figures. He froze when one turned in his direction, but it promptly turned back to its' partner and continued swimming. Kouga watched for his opportunity. He sprang into the cold water. He had to get them before…

 

Kagome, sitting against the warm rock but still feeling the chill advance, watched the setting sun. She wished her wolf prince could watch with her, but she knew that there would be more opportunities. She watched as the sky became an orange-red color, laced with pink and purple clouds. The clouds began to fade with the light, and she saw the moon rising in the east. The sky was quickly becoming purple and dark blue, the red and orange streaks barely a memory of the day that had passed. She was grateful for the fire, which had grown stronger as it settled into its' routine of crackling and snapping as it consumed its' ration of dead wood. Kagome threw more wood onto it, watching the flames jump with the excitement of the additional nourishment. She gazed into the fire, hypnotized by the dancing flames. A fierce wind suddenly wove its' way through their little camp, and the fire, unhappy with how it was being treated by the frosty opponent, crackled in its' displeasure. Despite the fact that she had just added some, Kagome decided to throw a few more sticks in. The fire seemed pleased, and Kagome, now huddling near the fire for warmth, was pleased that the wind had stopped. Suddenly, Kagome heard something approaching her from the south. But Kouga left going West… Her heart started to pound in anticipation, and she reached for her bow and quiver.

 

“Easy, priestess. I don't think you want to shoot me with that, ne?” a gruff voice said.

 

Kagome laughed, putting down her weapons, stood to attempt to see past the fire. She was both shocked and amused to see Kouga, soaked and looking bedraggled, coming towards her. She tried to stifle her laughter, but it seeped through until it wracked her small frame with vibrations and sound. Kouga watched her roll on the floor, a smirk on his lips.

 

“You find this funny?” he asked her.

 

“Oh, ha ha, v-very much s-so, ha ha ha!” she said between the conquering laughter.

 

He stood there, waiting for her to finish, and when she seemed to calm down a bit, he placed his parcels down. Kagome watched him, finally able to stifle the laughter. She motioned for him to sit next to her, and he obeyed. Now, with only a gentle smile, Kagome ran her hands through his bangs, then his hair, smoothing them. She picked a twig out, and began to undo the straps to his chest armor. She tossed it so that it was close enough to the fire that it would dry quickly. He watched her intently, wondering what she intended to do. His chest now glistening with water droplets from the river, Kagome reached into her bag for a towel and finding it, she dried Kouga with it. He only watched her, and decided to not make any moves. When he was dry, she coyly ran a single index finger along his chest, making him shudder, both from the pleasure of being touched by her, and the chilly air. Kagome noticed him shiver, but she didn't feel as cold anymore. In fact, her face felt quite warm, and so did the space between her thighs. The feeling was intoxicating; there was a tingling in her abdomen and a butterfly-like feeling that surrounded her. She looked into Kouga's eyes, knowing he wasn't going to move, and she leaned up and kissed him fiercely. He was surprised with the eagerness of the kiss, but he didn't question it. He simply kissed her back, also drunk with not only the feelings he had for her, but the smell that she radiated with. But still, she didn't seem ready. So he tried to lower the intensity of the kiss until it was a slow, gentle kiss. He wasn't ready to let go of her tongue. They fit together perfectly, caressing and dancing around each other in a slow, passionate rhythm. But, it was going to get much colder soon. And he had to make sure she ate; her wounds still had much healing to do. So he broke the kiss, and he hated the pleading, wordless look she gave him. Kouga flashed one of his wolfy grins at her, and she smiled back. She had been concerned that he had once again been the one to separate them, but that thought left her mind when she saw what he did next. He took the cups she had laid out and filled them with water, then placed the kettle over the fire. Kagome noticed how handsome he was in the dancing fire-light. Without his armor on he almost looked normal. Except for that tail… she thought humorously. He showed her a large package wrapped in leaves. Curiously, she looked on as he opened it. Inside, she found two large, filleted, clean fish. She looked up at him, smiling.“Is that what happened to you? These fish kicked your butt, huh?” she said, laughing.

 

Kouga enjoyed seeing her like this. “Yeah. We don't usually eat fish. We like red meat. But they were right there, in the river, so…”

 

Kagome nodded knowingly. “Okay! Fish it is!” she said, throwing the fish into the now warm water.

 

Kagome tended to the meal, adding salt that she carried in her pack, while Kouga surveyed the campsite. He noticed that she had gotten ready for bed except for changing. She had been cold. But she seemed okay when he had gotten back to camp. And she had seemed more than okay when she kissed him. The memory of that kiss stirred some feelings, and he quelled them, focusing on her bed, which he could tell she had slept in for a long time. It also smelled like the kitsune, Shippou. On the other hand, she had also laid out several furs, close to her bed. They smelled like both of them. He wondered why she had placed them separately. He asked her about it, and she had giggled nervously, telling him that she had been used to sleeping in the bag while on a mission, and she also thought he would do the same. He walked over to her, and she stood. He grabbed her by the waist and pulled her close, and her hands went up automatically, touching his bare, warm chest. She enjoyed watching him shiver from the touch, and the warmth that emanated from where their skin met was inviting. He kissed her gently and quickly, not letting it escalate. He told her that he would rather spend the night cuddling and keeping her warm, and Kagome smiled.

 

“I guess I'll be able to wear my PJ's after all!” she said, much to Kouga's confusion.

 

She explained about PJ's, and why they were called that, and he listened intently. Soon, the fish was cooked, and they ate quickly, both eager to get to bed. After they cleaned up, Kagome grabbed her tank top and short-shorts and set about undressing, her back to Kouga. She pulled her sweater off first, and Kouga admired the lines of her body. He wondered what the strap that ran across her back and shoulder was, but didn't want to push his luck. She smiled coyly at him over her shoulder, and he gave her a ravenous growl. She prickled her nose with the smile that formed on her lips. As she felt the heat of his stare, she began to undo her jeans. Kagome thought his eyes were going pop out of his head as he watched her slip the jeans down over her hips, revealing her black bikini cut underwear. Kouga wanted to go to her, and he began to get onto his feet, but she cast a frown his way, and he sat back down. Still with her back facing the demon, Kagome slid her jeans the rest of the way down her slender legs. Deliberately, she bent over slowly and pulled the jeans off from around her ankles. She tossed the denim aside, refusing to look at him again. But she could feel his gaze burning all over her body. She felt so alive; the electricity of wanting coursing through her body. Still bent, she reached for the top and shorts that she had laid on her makeshift bed, but she froze when she felt a clawed hand on her outstretched arm. She hadn't even heard him stir, but after all, he was the famously fast Kouga; her heart sped up as she realized she was losing control of the situation she had created. They both stood slowly; Kouga's arm slid to her shoulder and she shivered, thinking of what may come. Her shiver reached his fingers, and it sent a static wave through his nerves. He used his right hand to pull her hair aside, and as he lowered his lips towards her flesh, the salty smell of her perspiration drove him wild with need. He put his mouth to her right shoulder and bit down gently, letting the tips of his fangs graze against her skin. Kagome gasped with the surprise of the new sensation wracking her body, and the feeling lifted her on her toes. Kouga smiled, pleased with her body's reaction to him. He could smell her excitement, and he thought that he wouldn't be able to contain himself. He ran both of his hands down her body, starting at her shoulders, and running down her sides, slowing to an excruciatingly painful pace when he got to her waist. She pushed her body close to his, rubbing against him slightly. Unable to control himself, Kouga bit her again, more towards her collarbone, and she moaned with pleasure. The sound kept his hands running slowly down to her hips, bending when his arms could go no more. When he reached her thighs, he began to run his hands up the same path. Kagome's body took control, overwhelmed with desire. She bucked lightly into him, and he hissed in his pleasure, closing his blue eyes. Kagome relished knowing how her movements and sounds made him react. She felt his hands stop at her hips, and she bucked against him again, the movement sending his hands to her rear. He became shocked for an instant, unable to move. But in one bold movement, he cupped her ass, squeezing gently, and Kagome attempted to grind against him. She wasn't prepared for the erection she felt when she pushed herself hard against his body, but she adjusted quickly, moaning with the feeling it generated. Now, Kouga gave a low, throaty growl, driving Kagome wild with lust. They rubbed their bodies together slowly, and Kouga's hands were exploring her body on their own. His left hand found her breast, and as he took hold of it, Kagome leaned her head back so that it was resting on his right shoulder. Her chest heaved as she breathed heavily, occasionally moaning. Kouga traced a claw over the lace that was her bra. Once again, he bit her neck, sucking gently so that his fangs held some of her flesh. The wolf prince's right hand found her stomach, and he pawed at her abs, leaving a trail of claw marks. He left her neck to find her ear, which he nibbled, also letting his fangs trail. Kagome could hear his quickened breath, and she was delighted to hear him gasp when she made small, slow circles against his hardness with her ass. Kouga made a sound that the priestess couldn't understand, and he finally lost control when she tilted her head slightly so that her mouth was near his ear, as her breathy voice took shape.

 

“Kouga…” she whispered.

 

His sanity gone, the wolf youkai grabbed her by the hips and spun her around. No sooner than she was facing him, he grabbed her head and they met in a forceful, deep kiss. Hungrily, they swirled their tongues, and they consumed each other, each trying to please the other, and also trying to satisfy themselves. Kagome wrapped her arms around Kouga's neck, and impulsively jumped up and wrapped her legs around the demon's waist; their needs now directly rubbing against each other, they continued to feed off the others' lust. Kouga walked forward a few steps over the sleeping bag, pushing Kagome's back up against the rock wall. The miko lifted one hand, running along Kouga's hair until she came across the binding that held his hair into a ponytail. She pulled at it, releasing his hair. She broke the kiss to look at him with his hair down, and ran the same hand through the dark brown locks. She realized that with his hair down, he looked more like a king than a prince; he looked… regal. She turned her attention to his face, focusing on his icy blue eyes. Even though his body was telling her `I want you', his eyes were saying `I love you'. She kissed him, running both her hands through his hair now, but the emotion of what she had just felt was overpowering. As their tongues danced around each other, a tear rolled down Kagome's cheek. Kouga, knowing full well what Kagome's tears smell like, opened his eyes again and pulled back a bit to look at her face. He brought a hand to her face, smearing the tear, only to have it followed by another. He looked at her, bewildered.

 

“I… I'm sorry…” she stammered, more tears now joining their predecessors.

 

“No,” he said roughly. With a stern look, he told her that he knew she wouldn't be ready, and he would never push her.

 

“That's just it!” she cried. “I… I wanted to. I was ready. But I saw this look…”

 

“I'm sorry. Did I frighten you?” he interrupted.

 

“No! Just listen, Kouga!” she yelled, frustrated. He nodded, listening. “The look I saw… it told me that no matter if I was ready or not, you would still love me. Even though you want us to consummate our relationship, you would wait until I was ready. And it just made me so happy…” She began to sob now, trembling with emotion.

 

Kouga held her tightly, embracing her; they were still in the same position, her legs wrapped around his waist and her back against solid rock. He ran his hand through her hair repeatedly, trying to soothe her, waiting for her to control her emotions. “I do love you. Always.” He lifted himself away from her slightly, lifting her chin with one hand and smoothing her face with the other.

 

He waited for her to reciprocate, but she just sobbed. Disappointed but not disheartened, he held her close, then began to release her as her as her sobs became few between. Noticing that she was practically naked, Kouga picked up her pajama set and handed it to her.

 

Kagome had now noticed how cold it was, and considered the time of night it may be. She was holding herself, trying to keep warm, when Kouga handed her the pajamas. She thanked him with a kiss, and she quickly put them on, taking the bra off once her tank top was fully on. Kouga marveled at her ability to twist and turn within her clothes, but as soon as she finished gathering her clothes and folding them for tomorrow, Kouga could see that she was shivering. Quickly, he picked her up in his arms and slid her into the sleeping bag. Although it would have been warm, her already-cold body wasn't warming up too swiftly. He gathered the furs that had been strewn next to the bedroll and placed a few on top of it. He could hear her teeth chatter as he got into the sleeping bag, bringing the last few furs in with him. He placed one under the priestess, and one under himself; the last he rolled into a pillow for them. Still shivering, he took her into his arms and whispered into her ear that she was going to be fine, that she would warm up immediately. And she did. She stopped chattering, and then stopped shivering. Soon, she was able to simply cuddle with him; her head nestled under his chin, their arms wrapped around each other. And so the wolf prince and the miko, warm and content, fell asleep, drinking in each others' scent.

Chapter 11 by PitaBread
Author's Notes:

 

Still traveling, the pair think they have a lead. But Kagome isn't feeling well, and Kouga makes a scary mistake...

 

Always

 

Chapter 11

 

Kagome thought it was probably around eight o'clock in the morning when she woke up. It was much later than she usually arose, but she accounted it up to their actions the night before. Just thinking about the feelings, their bodies so close, she began to blush, and felt her body warm. Suddenly, she realized that Kouga was not by her side. Alarmed, the priestess jumped up, searching for him. Something must have happened. He would never leave me here… Kagome grabbed for her clothes, ripping her jeans onto her legs. Replacing the tank top with her bra and sweater, she raced into the trees, looking for a flash of brown fur, or a hint of blue eyes. She hunted for him for several minutes, but unable to find him, out of breath, and tired, she leaned a hand against a tree and bent over, trying to catch her breath. She straightened and looked around again. In her frantic quest, she had lost her way. Okay, calm down. Kouga will find you. If he's not hurt, that is… Oh, crap. What if he's hurt? What if he needs me? Kagome's heart pounded against her ribcage, and her thoughts raced. Mom always told me that when you're lost, you should stay where you are, because it increases your chances that someone will find you. She searched her surroundings, looking for a clue that would lead her back to camp. But she had been running blindly, and the wind had covered any trail she had left in the fallen leaves. Defeated, she sat on a nearby rock.

 

Kouga ran back to camp from the stream, careful not to spill the water he had collected, or the eggs he had collected that now rested in the bottom of the kettle. He slowed as he arrived, only now remembering the wound that had been on his thigh. Only a scar remained now, a reminder of the power of InuYasha's kongousouha. He rubbed the scar, testing the health of the muscle, but he surmised that if he was able to run, his leg should be fine. Walking into the clearing, he put the kettle over the unlit fire, but when he turned to look at his love, he found her bed empty, and her clothes gone. Without another thought, Kouga raced from the campsite, searching for the miko's scent. When he found it, he ran in the direction of it, panicked. Why would she leave camp? Did someone force her? No, I didn't smell any others… Maybe she didn't feel well? What if her wounds were bothering her and I wasn't there to help? Kouga's nose told him that she was close.

 

Kagome hadn't been sitting for long when she heard something rustling.  Damnit! In my rush, I forgot my bow! She could do nothing but stand and face whatever was coming towards her. Suddenly, she recognized the sounds and the speed at which they were traveling. And there he was. They both stood staring at each other, unable to speak, but each saw relief in the others' eyes. Kouga began to walk towards her, and when he was a few feet away, Kagome ran to him, wrapping her arms around his neck. He held her, placing one of his hands on her head, the other on her back.

 

“I… I was so scared. I didn't know where you went…” she said softly.

 

Kouga now realized the reason for her disappearance. “I'm sorry. I was wrong. I should have waited for you to wake up. But I wanted to surprise you, and I thought you would still be asleep.”

 

Kagome pushed away so that she could look at him. Kouga could see tears welling, but they never spilled over. Finally in his arms, Kagome began to calm. The wolf prince scooped her up, bringing her back to their campsite. He set her down, and she noticed the little kettle.

 

“Oh, you went to fetch water?” she asked.

 

“And breakfast. I was, uh… going to the bathroom, and I saw those eggs in a nest, and I thought of how you said you miss having fresh eggs for breakfast. So I thought it would be nice,” he said, smiling.

 

Kagome leaned over the pot to find four eggs in the bottom. They were quite large, and Kagome wondered what type of bird they were from. She explained about hard-boiled eggs, and they decided that method was best, and Kagome used her matches to light the fire that had gone out overnight. Soon after, the water began to boil, and Kagome decided she wanted to wash up before they ate. Kouga told her he would bring her to the stream he had gotten the water from, and soon, they were off in a whirlwind. Once there, Kagome undressed, but not like she had the night before. Now she was quick and deliberate, rubbing herself briskly with the sponge she had taken from home. Kagome began to think she was an expert in the art of quick baths, and she dressed just as quickly. This time, Kouga watched, and the miko had no objections; she had grown comfortable having the wolf demon by her side. Besides, she wasn't taking her bra or panties off, and she didn't mind that so much, seeing that they had shared so much. When she was dressed again, Kagome shivered over to Kouga, who zoomed back to their camp. Kagome had kept track of the cooking time, and felt the eggs needed a few more minutes, so she lay in her bedroll, warming herself back up. Kouga lay next to her, above the blanket, and held her.

 

The next thing Kagome knew, she was being shaken. She had fallen asleep, and Kouga was trying to ask her if the eggs should be removed. Groggily, she told him yes, and he took the pot off the fire, using some of the water to extinguish the fire. Kagome sat up, listening to the hiss of the dying fire, and rubbed her eyes.

 

“How long was I out?” she asked, yawning.

 

“About ten minutes,” he answered, placing the eggs on a towel Kagome provided.

 

Well, that's new, she thought. She hardly ever slept when she was with InuYasha, but with Kouga, she seemed to sleep all the time! She liked it. She didn't have to take care of Kouga. Didn't have to make sure he ate, or slept, because he did those things anyways. There was no Miroku to scold… no InuYasha to make sure he ate, no Shippou to give lollipops to, no Sango to talk with… Kagome could tell she was beginning to miss being with the group. But she didn't want to leave Kouga. Stupid InuYasha! If it weren't for his temper, I could have Kouga come with us! Kagome shook her head. No, that wouldn't be fair to Kouga. He'd probably do it if I asked, but he would miss the wolf pack; he would just be too stubborn to tell me that. Kagome felt like her heart was torn in two. She looked up to find those beautiful blue eyes watching her intently. Kouga wasn't one to prod, so she figured she might as well speak up. Unfortunately, she was shocked when Kouga beat her to it.

 

“You'll decide what's best when the time comes,” he said, turning his attention back to the eggs.

 

“Was I thinking out loud?” she asked incredulously.

 

Kouga chuckled, bringing the eggs over to her. “No,” he replied.

 

Wide-eyed with amazement, Kagome suddenly scowled. “Do you have some sort of mind reading ability you never told me of?” she asked, half jokingly.

 

This time he laughed, looking at her. “No!”

 

Kagome giggled as well. “Well, then, how would you be able to give me an answer to a question that I was asking myself in my head?”

 

“Was it a good answer?” he asked.

 

“Yes, but that's not the point…”

 

“Isn't it?”

 

Kagome looked dumbfounded. “Well, yes, but what I want to know is how you knew what I was thinking…”

 

Suddenly, he was sitting next to her. He reached out lovingly and touched her face. “Because…” he started, “you are always thinking of your friends first. And I'm sure you'll figure it out, when the time comes.” He kissed her gently, and handed her an egg.

 

Kagome took the egg, and began eating. How does he know me so well? She thought back to the first time she met Kouga. He had kidnapped her, wanting to force her to find the Shikon jewel. That had been before Naraku had gotten involved with his tribe. Now, he wanted to kill Naraku almost as badly as any of her other friends. Upon hearing his story, Kagome had decided to help him, and he had first wanted her because she had been courageous and loyal to her friends. `Because you are always thinking of your friends first.' It was one of the things he loved about her. Now she understood.

 

After they had finished, Kagome packed her things and they cleaned the campsite; when they were both ready, Kouga scooped her up and prepared to run.

 

“Hey, no running!” she cried.

 

“Kagome, I'm fine.”

 

The priestess attempted to look at his leg, but found that it was impossible from her position in his arms. She wriggled until she was standing again. Kneeling, she looked at the scar that was left. She touched it, running a finger along the new formed flesh. Kouga felt electricity running up from his leg. And from there, she was in great position to… Kouga shook his head, trying to stay on track.

 

“C'mon, we gotta go!” he said, scooping her up again.

 

Kagome was a little surprised by his reaction, but she was blind to the real reason behind his hurriedness.

 

He ran to the stream where he found the fish, and let Kagome down. She gave him a questionable look, and he told her to see if she noticed anything. The miko walked around, looking at things, and began to lose hope, staring directly at the water. Absentmindedly, she walked over to it, ready to splash her face. When she dipped her hands in it, she was shocked by how cold it was.

 

“Wow, that's really cold!” she said to the wolf demon.

 

He nodded. “Yeah. And this far from the mountains, it shouldn't be so cold. So it must be directly from the mountains. My mother once told me that there was a beautiful waterfall in the south, fed by the waters that ran from our mountains. Maybe… that waterfall is part of Hinna Lake.”

 

Kagome considered this, and nodded. “It's the best thing we have. Let's go for it!”

 

Kouga picked her up again, and he ran at a leisurely pace, following the winding river. There were points where they had to cross, and times where they felt they were going the wrong way. Eventually, they felt that they were traveling higher, and they were content to follow the river. Soon, the sun was setting again, and they looked for a place to camp. After about half an hour, they found a winding part of the river that had an impressive amount of rocks by the bank. The boulders were placed in almost a complete circle, and created a nook of sorts. They decided they would make this their camp, and Kouga swiftly ran off to find something for dinner. Kagome set about making a fire. She set out their bed, complete with furs, but as the sky began changing into its' yellow and red colors, and she realized that it wasn't quite as cold as last night. She decided to gather water for the kettle, and went to the river. While collecting the water, she dipped her own hand in the clear liquid, and finding it pleasingly warm, she decided that she would take a bath after they ate. Bringing the water back to the fire and placing it there, she set it up for tea, and went back to the river. She took off her shoes and socks, and dipped her feet into the water. She had been there for about fifteen minutes when she heard Kouga arrive in a whirlwind. She turned, but he was already right behind her. She saw that he had caught a rabbit, and although it wasn't her favorite, she smiled at him. She began to get up to clean the rabbit for cooking, but Kouga motioned with his hand that she was to stay where she was. Nodding, Kagome stayed put. The wolf demon brought out his rarely used sword and took the hide off the rabbit. Then, he quickly traveled down the river to wash the meat, came back, and began to place it over the fire. With the tea ready, Kagome set about readying the cups. She poured tea for both of them, and when the meat was ready, they ate. Kagome asked about Kouga's parents and siblings, but he seemed uneasy talking about them, so Kagome changed the subject. They talked a bit more, and Kagome finally got up to take a bath.

 

“Now, since we're next to the river, you don't have to watch me,” she said dryly.

 

Kouga smirked, knowing that despite her tone, she wasn't serious. Kagome climbed over the rocks, carrying her pajamas, towel, and wash soaps. Once at the river, she took off her clothes, and stepped into the river. It wasn't as warm as it had been earlier, but it was still nice to wash with. She walked into the middle, and since it only came to her waist, she sat, letting her hair get wet. She looked over at the rocks, expecting to find Kouga peeking over at her. But he wasn't. Kagome found herself feeling disappointed. She had wanted to replay a bit of last night. Instead, she stood, beginning to apply the soap to her body. While she washed, she thought about her actions the night before. What was she doing? Was she ready for this? Yes, she decided. She had wanted this same feeling with InuYasha once, and if she had been ready for him, then she was ready for Kouga. Besides, never had it felt wrong with him. She began to rinse as she thought about the feelings she had experienced last night. There was so much fire… electricity that she felt could power Tokyo for a day. She had never felt so alive, or so out of control. Half the time, she hadn't thought of her actions, she had just acted on instinct. Now, thinking about his touch, her skin tingled with desire again. But he was respecting her, leaving her to her bath. She could ask him to join her, but she wouldn't. She lowered herself again to submerge herself, completely soaking her hair. Satisfied, she stood again. When they were wet, her bangs covered her eyes. Pushing them aside, Kagome reached for the shampoo. She lathered her hair with the citrus smelling soap, and scrubbed her black locks.

 

Kouga had thought about going with her to the river, but he wanted to see how she reacted to his disinterest. He listened to her movements, lathering and rinsing. Suddenly, he smelled a familiar, tangy smell. He sniffed harder, and realized it was Kagome. She was excited, and the smell called out to him. Instantly, he felt like the wolf that he was, and he became excited himself. He leaned back, trying to ignore his body, but the smell was hard to turn away from. Soon, the tangy smell was replaced by a sweet, citrus smell. She must be washing her hair, he thought. He peeked over to where she was, and in the moonlight, he saw her sitting in the water, rinsing her hair. He loved the way she looked there, laying in the water, moonbeams bouncing off her damp shoulder. He turned back to the fire, trying to fight the primal urges that asked him to go to her. He thought about their future journey, and kept his mind away from the naked, wet, shimmering body that sat a few feet away.

 

Kagome felt a little disappointed that Kouga hadn't joined her, but now that she was finished, she just wanted to go to bed. She dried off and put her pajamas on, feeling refreshed after a full bath with a temperature that didn't make her want to jump right out. She gathered her things, and climbed back over the boulders. Meeting Kouga face to face, she smiled. He smiled softly, and she wondered what was troubling him. She put her things away, and got between the two folds of the sleeping bag. After she was settled, Kagome patted the bag, letting Kouga know that he was to join her. He reluctantly sat next to her, and she lay down, putting her head in his lap. Kouga swallowed hard, and nervously ran his fingers through her still wet hair. It smelled like orange blossoms, and it calmed him a little. Kagome relished the attention she was being given, and before long, fell asleep. Kouga had been thinking, therefore he hadn't noticed her drifting off. When he saw her sleeping there, content in his lap, he moved her so that he could get in with her. Once inside the sleeping bag, he held her tightly, and she mumbled something unintelligible. He smiled, and fell asleep too.

 

When she woke up the next morning, Kagome could feel Kouga's warm body pressed up against her. She didn't even remember falling asleep, but here they were, in bed together again. She noticed a few furs under her head. She must've fallen asleep first, and Kouga put the furs there for a pillow. She turned in her spot, facing him. She studied his sleeping features for a moment. Now, there was no cocky quirk of the eyebrow, no wolfish grin. Just a sweet, caring, sleeping demon. She thought about how that would sound, telling her friends about her new `boyfriend'. Giggling softly, Kouga stirred. The priestess caught herself, but that made her giggle harder. Trying to focus on his face, Kagome stilled herself, and found herself playing with his hair. She leaned forward and kissed him gently. After a few moments, there was movement, and to her surprise, she felt an arm make its' way around her waist, pulling her into him. Their legs intertwined as he reciprocated the kiss, and Kagome found that whether he was asleep or not, Kouga was very forceful with his kisses when he wanted to. He finally pulled away, smiling.

 

“Good morning, priestess,” he said.

 

“Good morning to you, wolf demon,” she said, spiking the last part with a sarcastic tone.

 

He jumped up, ready for their day, and jumped to the river for breakfast. He found a fish, which he cleaned and got ready for cooking. He also collected some water for tea, and Kagome decided to use this time for dressing. She took off her tank top, replacing it with her bra. Noticing that the air had a bit of chill in it, she put her turtleneck on again. Winter will be here soon, she thought, folding the neck over. Removing the short shorts that she had grown accustomed to, she pulled her jeans on, zipping them. Kouga jumped in at that point with their breakfast, placing it down.

 

“Damn,” he said with a smirk.

 

Kagome laughed. “Sorry, too late,” she said, smiling.

 

Kouga sauntered over to her, placing both hands on her hips. “Well, how about we get you undressed, then you could dress again, and I wouldn't have missed anything…” he said, still smirking.

 

“Mmm, sounds tempting, but how about we have breakfast instead?”

 

Kouga pouted playfully, and Kagome smiled coyly, lighting the fire and placing the pot over it.

 

Kouga put himself in charge of cooking the fish, and it was done at the same time the tea was. They worked together, serving each other and eating quickly. When they were done, they cleared quickly, eager to get on the road. Kouga scooped Kagome up and began to run alongside the river. She asked him when he thought they would get there, and he told her that he didn't think it was much further. By the position of the sun, Kagome figured it was around nine o'clock when they began traveling, and it was almost noon now. They were traveling south, so it was getting warmer by the mile. Despite the breeze created by Kouga's swift run, Kagome felt very hot, and began to sweat. She told Kouga it was warm, and he agreed, but seemed to be unaffected. He kept running, so Kagome thought perhaps it was her.Kouga had been running for about three and a half hours now, and although he hadn't even broken a sweat, he thought he should stop, at least for Kagome's sake. If anything, she needed a break from the traveling. He looked down at her, and she didn't look so good. She seemed weak; she had complained about the heat earlier, and now she was perspiring lightly, and she looked out of it. With the breeze, she shouldn't be warm. Perhaps her clothes were keeping her too warm? The wolf prince nudged her a little, watching her reaction. Kagome looked up at him and smiled weakly. Worried, Kouga quickened his pace.The climate got warmer as they traveled further south, and the river seemed as though it was getting wider as well. Now, it was probably ten feet across, instead of the six feet where they had first encountered it. The river was probably deeper here too. The further south he ran, the more foreign everything seemed. Kouga didn't think he had ever gone this far south. After several more minutes, he could see the area up ahead clearing, as if it was making way for something.

 

“Kagome… up ahead… the forest is clearing… Kagome?”

 

Looking down again, Kouga saw that the miko was not responsive. Was she sleeping? Or sick? He stopped running, and checked her forehead. It was not much warmer than her usual temperature, he noted, but she was still glistening with sweat. He shook her lightly, then a little harder when she hadn't responded. Worried now, he placed her on the ground. He called her name, shaking her, but she did not awaken. Placing his ear against her chest, he listened for her heartbeat. It was fast, despite the fact that she hadn't been moving. He also noticed the warmth that radiated from her body. She's overheated, he thought. Forgive me, Kagome. I don't mean this in that way…

 

Kouga grabbed her sweater, pulling it over her head as he had seen her do. Then, he attempted to take off the restrictive, heavy pants. He clawed at the zipper, not knowing how to take them off. He stopped himself, knowing that she would be angry if he ripped her clothes, and concentrated. He fumbled with the button, and through luck was able to undo it. He moved to the zipper, figuring that it had to be moved down, and was able to get it down. Realizing that she was almost naked, he blushed a little, but was more upset that she hadn't woken up. Shoving her clothes into her yellow pack, he lifted her again, concerned with how limp her body was. He began to run again, hoping the breeze would awaken her. But more quickly than he had expected, the river widened even more, and he could see that the earth was giving way to a drop. He hadn't noticed the increasing noise of the quickened pace of the river; he had been too concerned with Kagome's health. But now, as the ripples were turning into rapids, the noise was almost deafening for his sensitive Yourouzoku ears, and he winced as he ran alongside the river. After a few more minutes, he realized that Kagome was not waking up. It occurred to him that he should place her in the water, like she first did with Yuki. He decided that it was best to do it where the water was calmer, but as he followed the river to the waterfall, he could tell that the drop was a long one. He could hear the water crash unto the rocks below, and the sound was maddening. He couldn't make it down in time to the bottom, and it would take too long to run back up to where the water was calm, so there was only one choice. He would have to do it here.

 

Kouga stood motionless, staring at the river. He regarded it as if it were a wild, blue snake. It hissed at him out of spite, and he growled back. Leaving her stuff on the bank, Kouga braced himself for the impact of the rapids, and walked into the cool water. It was a nice temperature. Cool enough to lower her temperature, but much warmer than it had been upstream. He walked until he was up to his waist in the river. Lowering his arms, he placed Kagome's overheated body into the water. He noticed that she had the same panties on from the other night, except these were an emerald green color. He felt ashamed of himself as he brought his eyes back up to her face. He bent over and kissed her; letting it linger a moment, before he felt something move at his side. Alarmed, he pulled away and looked down. I… think it was her hand. I think her fingers were moving… He supported her with one hand, using the other to gently brush her bangs away from her face. The droplets of water that left his hand and fell to caress her face began to wake her, and her eyes slowly fluttered open.

 

“K… Kouga?” she whispered.

 

The wolf demon grinned at her, happy that she was conscious again. “Hey… I was worried about you for a minute there.”

 

Kagome attempted to laugh, but it came out sounding sickly, and Kouga placed his fingers over her lips. She smiled at him, and they stayed there for a few moments, capturing each other with their stares. As she cooled off, Kagome started to feel better, and she asked what had happened. He explained to her that he had been running when he noticed that she was unconscious, and he treated her the same way she had treated the wolf cub. The priestess smiled gently and caressed his face.

 

“But why am I in my underwear?” she asked, almost a little too calmly.

 

Kouga, feeling a little nervous now, laughed. “Well, those clothes were so warm, they were making you worse…”

 

Kagome, squinting, began to understand. “Okay, I understand you were worried. But can I get dressed now?” she said, a little happier.

 

Kouga nodded, and without hesitation, began to lower her onto her feet. Without warning, the currents began to pull at Kagome's tiny frame. Kouga had immediately turned toward the bank, fumbling for the miko's back pack. He was able to move with ease in the torrents because of his strength, but he forgot that his companion was merely human. A submerged log swept Kagome off her feet, making her plunge into the river. Where they had been standing, the river was approximately three feet deep, getting deeper in the middle, where Kagome had been swept. She clawed at the riverbed with her feet, unsuccessfully. She was finally able to brace herself, and used the opportunity to push herself to the surface for air. Rocketing out of the water, she gasped for air, and used it to scream for her friend.

 

“…OUGA!” She was carried back under the surface of the river, and began to move downstream.

 

Upon hearing his name shrieked, Kouga whirled around, to find Kagome gone. Oh shit, he thought, the river was too strong for her! He dropped the clothes he had been collecting, and dove into the river. Swimming, he could see Kagome struggling, trying to reach the surface again. He swam furiously, but he realized that he was too late. Not only would he not be able to reach her, but she was close to the waterfall. And he was going to go over, too. He was half-comforted to see that she was able to use a boulder to thrust herself upwards again, allowing her lungs to take in some more air, but as she came down, only a few meters ahead of him, he could tell that the waterfall was sucking her in. They exchanged looks of horror, and then, she went over the waterfall.

 

“KAGOMEEEEEEEE!” Kouga cried, leaping back to the surface. With every ounce of strength, he swam towards the drop, preparing himself for the fall. Suddenly, the wolf prince felt everything turn over, and there was nothing solid, as he was hurled over the edge. Feeling himself fall, Kouga recognized which way was up, but dove instead. He saw Kagome's fragile body plummet towards the lake below. Please, just don't let her hit the rocks… He watched as she disappeared again into the water. Kouga was too wet to realize that tears were streaming from his eyes, and he began to upright himself as he noticed a rock jutting out from the water. He braced himself, and his powerful legs received the impact as he sprang off the rock, reducing the force of hitting the lake that wait for him. The shock of the collision with the boulder passed through his body like a lightning bolt as he sprang forward, attempting to jump into the water where he thought Kagome would be. He disappeared into the lake, diving to look for the priestess, but he couldn't find her. Growing more frantic with each passing second, he swam further out, sensing that she may have been carried by the pulsing waves created by the water falling from the cascade. He was getting close to one of the banks when he saw something. Ascending to the surface, he gasped for air, and by the shore, he saw her; Kagome was lying half on the land, half in the water. And he swam towards her, clawing his way towards the woman he loved, hoping against hope that she wasn't dead.

End Notes:

 

 

Sorry for the cliffie!  ^_^

Chapter 12 by PitaBread
Author's Notes:

 

WARNING: LEMON!!!!!

Finding Hinna Lake, the couple take some time off, and use it as "recreational" time...

AlwaysChapter 12Kouga had half-drowned trying to get to Kagome's motionless form on the left shore of the lake. He felt as if his world had been torn apart, as if a tsunami had just crashed over his home and destroyed everything. He struggled to maintain his breathing as he swam towards the shallow area. As he regained his footing, he used his powerful legs to jump to her. Kneeling next to her, he placed a caring hand on her shoulder. Kagome almost snapped up, only the pain of the impact with the lake stopping her from coming to a fully upright position. She hissed with the oncoming pain, and Kouga was so relieved, he threw his arms around her, causing the priestess to wince in pain even more. Once the initial shock of pain left, she was able to embrace the wolf prince wholeheartedly. He leaned back, rising to his feet and offering his hand so that she could stand as well. It was painful, but as she moved, the pain rubbed itself away from her muscles, which had started out by grittily scraping across her bones. Now, they started to move more smoothly, and she was feeling better.“You… are… amazing…” Kouga said, admiring the beautiful young woman next to him.Kagome turned around, half-stunned and half-embarrassed. “Wha…?”Kouga smiled and held her again, his arms circling her hips. “I can't believe you fell from that waterfall, and you're walking around like you do it everyday,” he said, chuckling a little at the end.Kagome herself had to giggle. “Yeah… I guess when you look at it that way…” she began. “But I was really scared, Kouga.” She pulled herself close to him, placing her cheek against his armor plate.He stroked her wet hair, letting his fingers twirl around the ebony strands. He loved how silky they were, sliding between his digits like oil. And he adored the smell. Her hair smelled like orange blossoms. He closed his eyes, drinking in the smell. They stood there, motionless for a while, before Kagome finally pulled away.“Oh my gosh! We're here, aren't we? Is this Hinna lake?” she asked excitedly.Kouga was astounded by the amount of energy she had, despite all that had happened. Did I pick the best woman or what…? Shaking his thoughts away, he turned his attention back to the actual question she had asked. “I think so, but I guess we won't know `till we go snoopin' around. If we find the flower, I guess we'll know…” he answered, shrugging.Kagome nodded, and she began to walk toward the lake again, squinting to see if she could spot the pink flower in the midst of the cascades. Kouga laughed gently, and then walked into the water. He had gotten as far as his knees when he abruptly removed his armor, revealing his chiseled chest, glistening from the water that still clung to him when he was last in the water. He tossed it into the grass, noticing Kagome staring at him. He smiled wickedly, and Kagome blushed. She hadn't meant to ogle, but now that they had reached their destination, things seemed a little more easygoing. The wolf demon turned back to the waterfall, but Kagome's eyes never left his body. Instead of a well-defined chest, she now was glaring at his muscular back. She felt a heat rise in her body, pooling in her lower stomach. Kouga, sensing her arousal, tilted his head so that she could only see the very corner of a very satisfied grin. Deciding that two could play at this game, Kagome began to step into the lake as well. Kouga could hear her delicate footfalls as she entered the water, and he waded deeper, stopping only when the water level reached his chest.Kagome walked further into the rippling water. She had suddenly become aware of the fact that Kouga could sense when she was feeling this way, this heated, excited feeling. Well, why not? His senses are just as good as InuYasha's, he's just not as dense as InuYasha… Suddenly, a wave of nervousness came over her. Did he know every time I felt this way? Ohmigosh! She took in a sharp breath of air. Kouga turned, looking worried.“Are you okay?” he asked, wading towards her.“Y-yeah, I just, um… stepped on a rock…” she lied, lifting her leg so she could see her foot.She hopped a little, finally losing her balance to the waves in the water. She was chest-high in the lake, so it wasn't far until she dropped under the surface. Kouga laughed, lunging forward and grabbing her arms. He lifted her, and the miko sputtered as she took in some more air. Without warning, the wolf prince suddenly lifted Kagome up, scooping her into his arms. He used one hand to grab her foot and examine it.“It looks fine… good thing it didn't cut you…” he said, looking relieved.Such a little thing, but he was still concerned… Kagome smiled, looking him deep into his sparkling blue eyes. They danced a little, and Kagome wondered what he might be so delighted about. She self-consciously checked herself without breaking the lock of their eyes. Except for my bangs being in my eyes, I don't think there's anything…Kagome suddenly became very aware of the fact that she was still wearing her bra and panties.And nothing else.Her face reddening, Kouga figured that she probably just noticed that she was practically naked. She had placed an arm over her chest, the other trailing down her stomach, protecting her underwear and its' contents from his eyes. She glared at Kouga, her forehead creasing into a frown.“Yeah… I had to take off your clothes when you overheated, then the waterfall and everything…” he explained.He sounded not only sincere, but she felt a hint of worry in his voice. He's probably still concerned about me fainting… Forgetting her embarrassment, Kagome placed both arms around the wolf demons' neck.“I'm okay. Really,” she told him, her eyes softening.Kouga nodded. Kagome suddenly reached forward for what she had meant to be a quick, simple kiss, but the warm water, the embrace, and Kouga's chiseled, glistening chest kept her lips lingering softly. They were barely touching, but Kagome thought her head would explode, with the blood rushing in her ears and her heart pounding so quickly she thought it might break out of her body. The kiss was so intense, but so soft, she couldn't help staying like that. But Kouga thought differently. Quickly, he grabbed her head, and pushed her lips hard against his. Her head swirled with thoughts and emotions until they were all so jumbled, her mind went blank. She only had one thought. I want him.Kagome, finding herself, sought out his tongue, and he was all too happy to find hers. She ran her hand up to his hair, releasing it from its' tie. Kouga broke the kiss, a puzzled look on his face. Kagome looked at him tenderly, then watched her hand as it ran through his hair. It slid smoothly through the dry hair, and then caught as it reached the wet strands. She grabbed the hair, and surprised the wolf demon by kissing him strongly, instantly searching for his tongue. She felt the points of his fangs as she moved around in his mouth, tasting him, and a wave of heat ran through her body, followed by the chills. Her other hand, which was currently around Kouga's neck, drifted down, running along his collarbone, then his arm, and finally resting on his chest. Kouga instinctively pulled her tight, and it made Kagome run her nails over his chest. He emitted a low, guttural growl, and the sensation made the priestess' lips tingle. It made her want to do it again. So she used her other hand to leave his hair and reach around to his back. Once she had her hand positioned, she wriggled from his grasp, placing her feet on the floor. She smiled coyly, and he grabbed her, wrapping his arms around her. Kouga had never felt so aroused, and he wasn't going to let her get away that easily. To his surprise, she accepted his embrace; he even thought she may have tightened her grip on him. He lifted a hand, running it through her hair, then using it to push all her hair to her right side, draping it around her shoulder. She wondered what he was doing, but she found out very soon. He kissed her lightly, then wandered to her jaw line, over to her ear, where he lingered when he heard her gasp as he sucked her earlobe gently. She wavered, and he continued to trail kisses, reaching a spot on her neck where he knew the blood flow was abundant. He kissed her there first, then sucked gently. Kagome whimpered, and he took this as a cue. He opened his mouth, and gently bit, letting his fangs scrape softly against her tender flesh. Kagome reacted, digging her nails into his back. Kouga arched forward, rubbing against her, and biting a little harder in a different area. She moaned, moving her hands around, unable to find something to do with them. One of her hands finally rested in his hair, pulling it slightly, again coaxing a growl from the wolf demon.She loved when he made that sound, and she wanted to explore, to find different ways of making him growl. So she used her mouth to wander over his skin, starting with his lips. She kissed him, reverting to biting his lower lip. She moved to his neck, biting softly, making him press harder into her. She could feel the hardness of his member against her thigh, and she found it strange that it made her burn more intensely. So her mouth wandered to his sensitive ears, and she nibbled and licked gently. He growled again, and Kagome smiled to herself. Found another one…She placed her other hand on his neck, and moved her mouth to his shoulder, kissing and biting. He tossed his head back in pleasure, watching her as she bid to please him. He felt empowered at that moment, and used his hand to cup one of her breasts. With no objections, he caressed it, focusing on her nipple, which was hardening with his touch. He used a claw to trace around it on top of the white lace. Kagome moaned, so he leaned down to take the nipple in his mouth, sucking gently. A bolt of electricity shot through her body, as she cried out gently, rocking her hips towards his, rubbing her body against his member. In return, this made Kouga go wild with want. Now he pushed into her, one hand on her lower back, pushing her into him, biting her pink nipple through the cloth, a fang brushing against her breast though the lace. Now wanting the interaction to be unhindered, Kagome threw her hands to her back, unhooking the bra easily. The demon seemed to understand what she was doing, and grinned that wolfy grin of his while running a hand up her arm, grasping the strap that lay on her shoulder. He tugged down, exposing her left breast. His bright blue eyes widened, and Kagome could feel his hardness pulse against her thigh. She looked at him coyly, trailing a nail down his shoulder and down his arm. Kagome really looked at him, glistening and muscular. She realized how different, how exotic he looked, and she felt the flames within her burn more brightly, making her very warm.He removed the bra completely, throwing it towards the shore. Kagome took the hand he used to throw the garment and guided it to her breast, gasping when he took it strongly. He bent again, taking the pink, erect nipple into his mouth, biting a little harder, and Kagome cried out in pleasure. The fire within Kouga burned brighter, and he lowered his body so that he throbbed against her panties. She wrapped her legs around him, bringing their sensitive parts even closer to each other. Kouga hungrily devoured her breasts, switching from one to the other, suckling and nibbling, making Kagome moan with pleasure. She lifted herself a little, making their body parts rub, then she lowered herself. He froze, enjoying the little waves of pleasure the movement caused. Noticing this, Kagome did it a few more times, applying more pressure. The wolf prince closed his eyes and swallowed hard, and she realized that her own movements were making her tingle as well. So she did it slower, more deliberately. She threw her head back, enjoying the sensations, and Kouga opened his eyes to get a good view of his beautiful Kagome.He attempted to touch her face, but instead, she took his finger in her mouth, sucking gently. Once again, she felt him throb, and she manipulated her body to rub against it. He groaned, and she delighted in the pleasure and pain they were both experiencing. He grabbed her, pulling her close, and kissed her deeply. She ran her hand through his hair again, and he held her face with both hands, not wanting to ever let go.Suddenly, Kagome broke away, releasing her grip on his waist and running towards the shore. Kouga stood, confused, until the miko turned, laughing as she ran towards the grassy bank. He smiled, realizing it was a game. She had hoped to gain a sufficient lead, but the propulsion from his shard-powered legs was strong, and he caught her in a few seconds. She laughed as he turned her, kissing her neck. She had accomplished what she had planned. They were almost on dry land, the sparkling water only a little above their knees. Kouga turned his attention back to her lips, and he rubbed a thumb across them before devouring her lips. Kagome stepped back, still engaged in her kiss, and managed to take a few steps before she stepped on something hard, and she fell over backwards. She laughed, sputtering water as she reached back, attempting to climb further towards the bank. When her rear stuck itself in the sand of the lake and she could go no further, she stayed there, propped up on her elbows in just a few inches of water. Kouga had been watching her scramble, and figured he would give her time. She seemed ready-but nervous. Now that she was still, he reached out, offering to pull her up. She took his hand, but he was surprised to feel her tug his arm down, towards her. The look in her eyes told him that he should obey, and he lowered himself. Kagome shook her head and crooked her finger at him, telling him to `come hither' with her body language. He smiled, fully lowering himself so that he was leaning over her dominantly, his legs over hers, his arms trapping her in the sand. Pleased, Kagome reached up, pulling his head towards her, and she kissed him again. Kagome leaned back until her head rested in the sand, barely in the water. Her hair swished in the water, trailing around her body, mixed with Kouga's now free-falling hair. Their hair intertwined as their bodies did, slithering like little snakes, curling around each other in a mass of darkness. Getting comfortable, Kouga lowered himself until his weight rested on Kagome, pressing their bodies together. She noticed the extra weight, but it was comforting, not heavy, and she placed a few kisses on his angular jaw bone. He touched her face with one hand, leaving the other to do as it pleased - and Kagome's breast is what pleased it. She rocked against him; the stimulation combined with the air blowing over them so pleasing that she wanted more, more. Kouga let his lips glide to where his hand was, taking her erect nipple in his mouth, teasing it with his tongue. She moaned and bucked again, this time feeling his hardness when she was pressed tight against him. He pushed against her, and the pressure drove the priestess insane with need. She needed something… she felt like she was empty, and needed to be filled. She needed to be filled… with him. She needed… needed him.Her mind racing, Kagome struggled with her panties, trying to push them down. But the wet satin was clinging harder to her than the wolf demon was. Kouga, seeing her plight, slid his hand down to where hers was, feeling the string that ran across her hip. He smiled wickedly, sliding his hand further south. When his hand reached her spot, she bucked wildly with the new sensation - it felt like a fire, lightning bolt, and blizzard all rolled in one - and moaned, letting him know that she wanted more. He applied more pressure, allowing his fingers to rub little circles into her, and she couldn't help but arch her back and squirm helplessly, whimpering softly with each stroke. He finally allowed her to catch her breath, knowing that she would lose it again soon, anyways. He turned his attention back to the clingy fabric. He was about to rip them right off - it would have taken little effort, really - when Kagome stilled his hand with her own. She guided it to the offending string, and hooking his claw around it, pulling down. He paused; Kouga would have kept pulling had he not been so intoxicated by the sight and smell of her. He had known how aroused she had been, but the clothing had apparently been hiding it. He became drunk with the scent of her want. She was ready, for him, and he wanted her so badly it hurt. He finished pulling the green cloth off her, tossing it to the side, and she scooted a little closer to the grass, her head barely in the water now. He resumed his position above her, and Kagome felt the years of pain, of unacceptance, of feeling like a stand-in, melt away. She smiled up at Kouga's hazy blue eyes, and knew what he knew. She was her. She wasn't Kikyou. She wasn't Kikyou's replacement, nor was she her `reincarnation'. She was simply Kagome, and Kouga wouldn't have it any other way.He leaned against her, and Kagome could feel his hardness against the very spot that cried for it. She ached, she wanted it so bad. But Kouga was taking his time. Is he afraid of hurting me? Is he not sure he wants to do this? Perhaps he is having second thoughts? No, she thought, that wasn't it. She searched his eyes with her own, and she thought she saw regret, no, uncertainty… Was he suspicious of her loyalty? Maybe he was still insecure, since he knew she had cared for InuYasha, and things had happened so quickly. No, that wasn't it either. She wanted to ask him, but she didn't want it to ruin anything, either. She had a habit of ruining things when she spoke. Attempting to toss it aside, she reached up gingerly, pulling him towards her, and kissed him softly.He lovingly reciprocated, wondering why she had been so tense. Perhaps she was unsure of the next step, or perhaps she didn't actually want to take that step. Or maybe she was afraid to. He wasn't afraid of hurting her. On the contrary, he was afraid she was going to hurt him. He was afraid she was going to do this, then run back to InuYasha the first time she sees him. But how could he know what was going to happen? He felt her kiss become more urgent, needier. He searched the confines of her mouth, tasting her, and felt her rock her hips into his. He still didn't know if she was sure, which is precisely why he was so shocked by her next move. She reached down between them, searching under his pelt, and grabbed his shaft. She was shocked, feeling how large it was. She hadn't know what it was going to be like, but now, holding its' considerable size, she felt nervous. It pulsed under her touch, and Kouga's eyes widened, searching her half-closed, serene, chocolate colored eyes. She smoothly guided his throbbing member towards her opening, giving it a stroke.“Gnn…” Kouga closed his eyes, unable to contain the pleasure she had brought him with a simple movement.Kagome smiled, doing it a few more times, watching his face contort with satisfaction and moaning. She could felt it harden with each stroke, pulsing with each advance. She stopped, and panting, Kouga opened his eyes, looking into hers. She positioned the head where she needed it to be, and looked at him dreamily, hungrily. She rocked her hips a little, aching for the release of all the pressure she was holding. He could see the desire, the need, the primal urging she had for this, and knew she was ready.So he thrust into her. She cried, feeling like her body was being ripped apart. Alarmed, Kouga stopped. He had felt her virginity break, and he wanted to soothe her, to ease her pain, but he knew the only way to do this was to keep going. Kagome was literally crying now, not an all-out cry, but the tears were falling. He reached out, caressing her face, and kissed her softly, remaining inside her.“Do you want me to stop?” he asked her.“N… no. Keep going…” she replied shakily.He understood, so he kissed her instead, softly, waiting for her to elevate the intensity. As the tears subsided, she interrupted the kiss, looking deep into the ocean that was Kouga's eyes. To her surprise, they were quivering, as if he were afraid. She brushed his hair out of his face, noticing the cold sweat that had accumulated on his brow. Again, she noted his striking looks; he seemed so foreign, with his fangs, pointed ears, and let's not forget the tail. But he was so familiar, so regular, that he wasn't so unusual. He was just… Kouga. She smiled, gazing into his eyes again, and the heat began to resurface. She kissed him softly, and after a few moments, she increased the pressure, kissing him more needily. Kouga sensed that the pain had subsided, and searched for her tongue. Their passion grew as they continued to devour each other. To his surprise, Kagome pushed up, allowing him to be pushed deeper within her. She winced, and he moaned with pleasure. Realizing that she wanted to continue despite the pain, he withdrew, and lunged forward again, making each of them make their appropriate noises. He continued, slowly, thrusting and pulling out, and within a few minutes, the pain had left, and was replaced by a warmth, a pressure that was building in her. She began to moan, slithering around in the water like a serpent. Kouga noticed her pleasure and picked up speed.“Nnn… more…” she gasped breathily.Happy to comply, Kouga became more forceful, pushing harder. Kagome rocked her hips in rhythm with his, and she felt the pressure build. Aching to relieve that pressure, she pushed up harder, and Kouga matched her force. He moaned, arching his back and leaning up on his arms so that he could look down upon the raven-haired miko below him. He noticed how prettily her cheeks flushed; they were like plums, much deeper than when she was embarrassed. He loved the way she looked right now, and tried to preserve the moment, slowing his pace. Kagome opened her eyes, wondering why he was slowing. She looked at him questioningly, and he smiled, driving himself deeper and making Kagome moan and close her eyes in delight. He watched her face contort as he tried thrusting from different angles, and enjoyed the noises she made. Suddenly, he felt the surge that told him that he wouldn't be able to hold out much longer.“K - Kagome… I… can't last much longer…” he panted.“Mmm… just… a little… longer…” she breathed.“Gnn… I'll try…” he replied, struggling for air.Kagome clawed at the wolf demon's back, watching him squirm under her touch. She reached up and caressed his face, and he turned, taking her finger in his mouth and biting gently with his fangs. She whimpered, and he released her hand, which she trailed down his chest. He pulled almost completely out, stopping. Kagome looked up at him, pouting. He grinned, and he plunged into her, making her cry out. He resumed a normal rhythm, and Kagome began to moan more urgently, close to her climax. Kouga, unable to hold out for too long, sped up his momentum. Suddenly, she grasped Kouga's forearms.“Ah… Oh, oh, oh…” she gasped.Kouga grinned wickedly, and he continued to thrust harder.“Gnn… K… Kouga!” she cried out, arching her back.The wolf prince, content with her pleasure, continued to follow her into bliss. With a few more thrusts, he reached his brink, spilling into her. He collapsed, laying on top of Kagome, and they both struggled to catch their breath. As their breathing normalized, Kouga leaned down to kiss her. She smiled at him, brushing his bangs off of his sweat-caked forehead.“Mmm… That was incredible,” Kagome sighed.Kouga chuckled, rolling off to the side slowly and pulling out of her. “Yeah, it was…”They lay there for a while, touching and caressing each other and laughing softly.“Well, maybe we oughta actually look for that flower…” he laughed.Kagome nodded, but stayed where she was. Kouga lifted himself, standing in the water. He appeared to be thinking of something, then offered Kagome his hand. She looked at him lazily, twirling her hair.“Wanna join me for a bath?” he asked.“Mmm… sounds good. But where are my things?” she said, alarmed.Kouga thought for a moment, and Kagome could see that he had remembered where it was. He nodded. “Your bag is back up at the top of the waterfall. Don't move.”Without haste, he used the power of the Shikon shards in his legs to dart past her, accidentally spraying her with water. She frowned as she wiped the water out of her eyes, then went back to basking in the sun, enjoying the feeling that had come over her. She had never felt so satisfied, so… content. She giggled to herself, suddenly thinking of what had just happened. Well, why not? she thought. I'm 17, and he's sooooo handsome. And he loves me. And of course, I love him. I probably should have waited until I finished high school, but I think I'm old enough. And mama always told me I would know when it was right. She giggled again.“What's so funny?” Kouga asked.She looked over at him, noticing her big yellow pack over his shoulder. He slid the strap down his arm, placing the bag on the ground behind Kagome. She thanked him, and he nodded. Then suddenly, he was in the air. He landed with a splash in the water. Kagome sat up, noticing a patch of green in the lapping water. She reached for it and realized that it was her underwear. She tossed them unto the grass, then shouted to Kouga.“Kouga? Could you see if you find my bra?” she yelled. When he gave her a puzzled look, she tried to explain. “The white… lacy thing that was, um, covering me before?”He nodded, and waded around a bit before seeing it a few inches under the surface a few feet from where Kagome was.“Good thing for that great wolf vision, huh?” she laughed.“Yeah. My vision picks up all kinds of things,” he taunted. “And some things are just so beautiful, I just can't stand it,” he cooed.She smiled at him. “Well, there better be only one of those,” she teased.“Kagome, ever since I met you, it's only been you,” he said softly.He offered her his hand again, and this time she took it. He lifted her onto her feet, and she immediately ran into the water, diving when she got to a safe depth. Kouga snickered, then ran into the water himself. He joined her, and they splashed each other and played for a while. Finally, Kagome went back to the shore to retrieve her shampoo and soap, bringing them back into the water. Kouga watched as she poured some of the sweet-smelling goo into her hand and rubbed it into her hair. To his amazement, it became a flurry of white bubbles. Kagome, seeing the shocked look on his face, explained what shampoo was, then dipped under the surface, rinsing the stuff from her locks. She swam underwater to where he was, then surfaced. She had popped up in front of him, her bangs drooping over her eyes. Kouga wiped her bangs away and kissed her. She giggled, traveling to shallow water. There, she cleansed herself with the soap and walked back to her bag, placing the things back into one of the pockets. She jumped back into the water, returning to Kouga while washing the soap from her body. He scooped her up, and they laughed together. Kagome dipped her head back into the water, and Kouga kissed her neck.“Hey, let's not start that again!” she laughed.“Aww, why not?” Kouga pouted.Kagome brought her head up, glancing at the waterfall. She gasped, getting Kouga's attention. He looked in the direction she was facing, squinting in his need to find what she saw. He scanned the cascade, glimpsing something pink atop one of the rocks that jutted out from the falling water. They looked at each other, then back at the pink speck. Then back at each other.“Well, I guess we found the flower…” Kouga said.Kagome nodded. “Well, we better go see if it's star-shaped,” she added.A few minutes later, Kagome was clothed in her pink dress, standing on the bank near the cliff that held the waterfall. She watched as Kouga stood at the top of the falls, looking down at the rock that held the plant they hunted. From his place on the grass, he jumped. Kagome watched as he landed neatly, a foot on either side of the flower. He called down to her that it was the one they had been searching for.
Chapter 12 by PitaBread
Author's Notes:

 

WARNING: LEMON!!!!!

Finding Hinna Lake, the couple take some time off, and use it as "recreational" time...

 

 

Always

 

Chapter 12

Kouga had half-drowned trying to get to Kagome's motionless form on the left shore of the lake. He felt as if his world had been torn apart, as if a tsunami had just crashed over his home and destroyed everything. He struggled to maintain his breathing as he swam towards the shallow area. As he regained his footing, he used his powerful legs to jump to her. Kneeling next to her, he placed a caring hand on her shoulder. Kagome almost snapped up, only the pain of the impact with the lake stopping her from coming to a fully upright position. She hissed with the oncoming pain, and Kouga was so relieved, he threw his arms around her, causing the priestess to wince in pain even more. Once the initial shock of pain left, she was able to embrace the wolf prince wholeheartedly. He leaned back, rising to his feet and offering his hand so that she could stand as well. It was painful, but as she moved, the pain rubbed itself away from her muscles, which had started out by grittily scraping across her bones. Now they started to move more smoothly, and she was feeling better.

 

“You… are… amazing…” Kouga said, admiring the beautiful young woman next to him.

 

Kagome turned around, half-stunned and half-embarrassed. “Wha…?”

 

Kouga smiled and held her again, his arms circling her hips. “I can't believe you fell from that waterfall, and you're walking around like you do it everyday,” he said, chuckling a little at the end.

 

Kagome herself had to giggle. “Yeah… I guess when you look at it that way…” she began. “But I was really scared, Kouga.” She pulled herself close to him, placing her cheek against his armor plate.

 

He stroked her wet hair, letting his fingers twirl around the ebony strands. He loved how silky they were, sliding between his digits like oil. And he adored the smell. Her hair smelled like orange blossoms. He closed his eyes, drinking in the smell. They stood there, motionless for a while, before Kagome finally pulled away.

 

“Oh my gosh! We're here, aren't we? Is this Hinna lake?” she asked excitedly.

 

Kouga was astounded by the amount of energy she had, despite all that had happened. Did I pick the best woman or what…?

 

Shaking his thoughts away, he turned his attention back to the actual question she had asked. “I think so, but I guess we won't know `till we go snoopin' around. If we find the flower, I guess we'll know…” he answered, shrugging.

 

Kagome nodded, and she began to walk toward the lake again, squinting to see if she could spot the pink flower in the midst of the cascades. Kouga laughed gently, and then walked into the water. He had gotten as far as his knees when he abruptly removed his armor, revealing his chiseled chest, glistening from the water that still clung to him when he was last in the water. He tossed it into the grass, noticing Kagome staring at him. He smiled wickedly, and Kagome blushed. She hadn't meant to ogle, but now that they had reached their destination, things seemed a little more easygoing. The wolf demon turned back to the waterfall, but Kagome's eyes never left his body. Instead of a well-defined chest, she now was glaring at his muscular back. She felt a heat rise in her body, pooling in her lower stomach. Kouga, sensing her arousal, tilted his head so that she could only see the very corner of a very satisfied grin. Deciding that two could play at this game, Kagome began to step into the lake as well. Kouga could hear her delicate footfalls as she entered the water, and he waded deeper, stopping only when the water level reached his chest.

 

Kagome walked further into the rippling water. She had suddenly become aware of the fact that Kouga could sense when she was feeling this way, this heated, excited feeling. Well, why not? His senses are just as good as InuYasha's, he's just not as dense as InuYasha… Suddenly, a wave of nervousness came over her. Did he know every time I felt this way? Ohmigosh! She took in a sharp breath of air. Kouga turned, looking worried.

 

“Are you okay?” he asked, wading towards her.

 

“Y-yeah, I just, um… stepped on a rock…” she lied, lifting her leg so she could see her foot.

 

She hopped a little, finally losing her balance to the waves in the water. She was chest-high in the lake, so it wasn't far until she dropped under the surface. Kouga laughed, lunging forward and grabbing her arms. He lifted her, and the miko sputtered as she took in some more air. Without warning, the wolf prince suddenly lifted Kagome up, scooping her into his arms. He used one hand to grab her foot and examine it.

 

“It looks fine… good thing it didn't cut you…” he said, looking relieved.

 

Such a little thing, but he was still concerned… Kagome smiled, looking him deep into his sparkling blue eyes. They danced a little, and Kagome wondered what he might be so delighted about. She self-consciously checked herself without breaking the lock of their eyes. Except for my bangs being in my eyes, I don't think there's anything…Kagome suddenly became very aware of the fact that she was still wearing her bra and panties.

 

And nothing else.

 

Her face reddening, Kouga figured that she probably just noticed that she was practically naked. She had placed an arm over her chest, the other trailing down her stomach, protecting her underwear and its' contents from his eyes. She glared at Kouga, her forehead creasing into a frown.

 

“Yeah… I had to take off your clothes when you overheated, then the waterfall and everything…” he explained.

 

He sounded not only sincere, but she felt a hint of worry in his voice. He's probably still concerned about me fainting… Forgetting her embarrassment, Kagome placed both arms around the wolf demons' neck.

 

“I'm okay. Really,” she told him, her eyes softening.

 

Kouga nodded. Kagome suddenly reached forward for what she had meant to be a quick, simple kiss, but the warm water, the embrace, and Kouga's chiseled, glistening chest kept her lips lingering softly. They were barely touching, but Kagome thought her head would explode, with the blood rushing in her ears and her heart pounding so quickly she thought it might break out of her body. The kiss was so intense, but so soft, she couldn't help staying like that. But Kouga thought differently. Quickly, he grabbed her head, and pushed her lips hard against his. Her head swirled with thoughts and emotions until they were all so jumbled, her mind went blank. She only had one thought. I want him.

 

Kagome, finding herself, sought out his tongue, and he was all too happy to find hers. She ran her hand up to his hair, releasing it from its' tie. Kouga broke the kiss, a puzzled look on his face. Kagome looked at him tenderly, then watched her hand as it ran through his hair. It slid smoothly through the dry hair, and then caught as it reached the wet strands. She grabbed the hair, and surprised the wolf demon by kissing him strongly, instantly searching for his tongue. She felt the points of his fangs as she moved around in his mouth, tasting him, and a wave of heat ran through her body, followed by the chills. Her other hand, which was currently around Kouga's neck, drifted down, running along his collarbone, then his arm, and finally resting on his chest. Kouga instinctively pulled her tight, and it made Kagome run her nails over his chest. He emitted a low, guttural growl, and the sensation made the priestess' lips tingle. It made her want to do it again. So she used her other hand to leave his hair and reach around to his back. Once she had her hand positioned, she wriggled from his grasp, placing her feet on the floor. She smiled coyly, and he grabbed her, wrapping his arms around her. Kouga had never felt so aroused, and he wasn't going to let her get away that easily. To his surprise, she accepted his embrace; he even thought she may have tightened her grip on him. He lifted a hand, running it through her hair, then using it to push all her hair to her right side, draping it around her shoulder. She wondered what he was doing, but she found out very soon. He kissed her lightly, then wandered to her jaw line, over to her ear, where he lingered when he heard her gasp as he sucked her earlobe gently. She wavered, and he continued to trail kisses, reaching a spot on her neck where he knew the blood flow was abundant. He kissed her there first, then sucked gently. Kagome whimpered, and he took this as a cue. He opened his mouth, and gently bit, letting his fangs scrape softly against her tender flesh. Kagome reacted, digging her nails into his back. Kouga arched forward, rubbing against her, and biting a little harder in a different area. She moaned, moving her hands around, unable to find something to do with them. One of her hands finally rested in his hair, pulling it slightly, again coaxing a growl from the wolf demon.

 

She loved when he made that sound, and she wanted to explore, to find different ways of making him growl. So she used her mouth to wander over his skin, starting with his lips. She kissed him, reverting to biting his lower lip. She moved to his neck, biting softly, making him press harder into her. She could feel the hardness of his member against her thigh, and she found it strange that it made her burn more intensely. So her mouth wandered to his sensitive ears, and she nibbled and licked gently. He growled again, and Kagome smiled to herself. Found another one…She placed her other hand on his neck, and moved her mouth to his shoulder, kissing and biting. He tossed his head back in pleasure, watching her as she bid to please him. He felt empowered at that moment, and used his hand to cup one of her breasts. With no objections, he caressed it, focusing on her nipple, which was hardening with his touch. He used a claw to trace around it on top of the white lace. Kagome moaned, so he leaned down to take the nipple in his mouth, sucking gently. A bolt of electricity shot through her body, as she cried out gently, rocking her hips towards his, rubbing her body against his member. In return, this made Kouga go wild with want. Now he pushed into her, one hand on her lower back, pushing her into him, biting her pink nipple through the cloth, a fang brushing against her breast though the lace. Now wanting the interaction to be unhindered, Kagome threw her hands to her back, unhooking the bra easily. The demon seemed to understand what she was doing, and grinned that wolfy grin of his while running a hand up her arm, grasping the strap that lay on her shoulder. He tugged down, exposing her left breast. His bright blue eyes widened, and Kagome could feel his hardness pulse against her thigh. She looked at him coyly, trailing a nail down his shoulder and down his arm. Kagome really looked at him, glistening and muscular. She realized how different, how exotic he looked, and she felt the flames within her burn more brightly, making her very warm.

 

He removed the bra completely, throwing it towards the shore. Kagome took the hand he used to throw the garment and guided it to her breast, gasping when he took it strongly. He bent again, taking the pink, erect nipple into his mouth, biting a little harder, and Kagome cried out in pleasure. The fire within Kouga burned brighter, and he lowered his body so that he throbbed against her panties. She wrapped her legs around him, bringing their sensitive parts even closer to each other. Kouga hungrily devoured her breasts, switching from one to the other, suckling and nibbling, making Kagome moan with pleasure. She lifted herself a little, making their body parts rub, then she lowered herself. He froze, enjoying the little waves of pleasure the movement caused. Noticing this, Kagome did it a few more times, applying more pressure. The wolf prince closed his eyes and swallowed hard, and she realized that her own movements were making her tingle as well. So she did it slower, more deliberately. She threw her head back, enjoying the sensations, and Kouga opened his eyes to get a good view of his beautiful Kagome.

 

He attempted to touch her face, but instead, she took his finger in her mouth, sucking gently. Once again, she felt him throb, and she manipulated her body to rub against it. He groaned, and she delighted in the pleasure and pain they were both experiencing. He grabbed her, pulling her close, and kissed her deeply. She ran her hand through his hair again, and he held her face with both hands, not wanting to ever let go.

 

Suddenly, Kagome broke away, releasing her grip on his waist and running towards the shore. Kouga stood, confused, until the miko turned, laughing as she ran towards the grassy bank. He smiled, realizing it was a game. She had hoped to gain a sufficient lead, but the propulsion from his shard-powered legs was strong, and he caught her in a few seconds. She laughed as he turned her, kissing her neck. She had accomplished what she had planned. They were almost on dry land, the sparkling water only a little above their knees. Kouga turned his attention back to her lips, and he rubbed a thumb across them before devouring her lips. Kagome stepped back, still engaged in her kiss, and managed to take a few steps before she stepped on something hard, and she fell over backwards. She laughed, sputtering water as she reached back, attempting to climb further towards the bank. When her rear stuck itself in the sand of the lake and she could go no further, she stayed there, propped up on her elbows in just a few inches of water. Kouga had been watching her scramble, and figured he would give her time. She seemed ready-but nervous. Now that she was still, he reached out, offering to pull her up. She took his hand, but he was surprised to feel her tug his arm down, towards her. The look in her eyes told him that he should obey, and he lowered himself. Kagome shook her head and crooked her finger at him, telling him to `come hither' with her body language. He smiled, fully lowering himself so that he was leaning over her dominantly, his legs over hers, his arms trapping her in the sand. Pleased, Kagome reached up, pulling his head towards her, and she kissed him again. Kagome leaned back until her head rested in the sand, barely in the water. Her hair swished in the water, trailing around her body, mixed with Kouga's now free-falling hair. Their hair intertwined as their bodies did, slithering like little snakes, curling around each other in a mass of darkness. Getting comfortable, Kouga lowered himself until his weight rested on Kagome, pressing their bodies together. She noticed the extra weight, but it was comforting, not heavy, and she placed a few kisses on his angular jaw bone. He touched her face with one hand, leaving the other to do as it pleased - and Kagome's breast is what pleased it. She rocked against him; the stimulation combined with the air blowing over them so pleasing that she wanted more, more. Kouga let his lips glide to where his hand was, taking her erect nipple in his mouth, teasing it with his tongue. She moaned and bucked again, this time feeling his hardness when she was pressed tight against him. He pushed against her, and the pressure drove the priestess insane with need. She needed something… she felt like she was empty, and needed to be filled. She needed to be filled… with him. She needed… needed him.

 

Her mind racing, Kagome struggled with her panties, trying to push them down. But the wet satin was clinging harder to her than the wolf demon was. Kouga, seeing her plight, slid his hand down to where hers was, feeling the string that ran across her hip. He smiled wickedly, sliding his hand further south. When his hand reached her spot, she bucked wildly with the new sensation - it felt like a fire, lightning bolt, and blizzard all rolled in one - and moaned, letting him know that she wanted more. He applied more pressure, allowing his fingers to rub little circles into her, and she couldn't help but arch her back and squirm helplessly, whimpering softly with each stroke. He finally allowed her to catch her breath, knowing that she would lose it again soon, anyways. He turned his attention back to the clingy fabric. He was about to rip them right off - it would have taken little effort, really - when Kagome stilled his hand with her own. She guided it to the offending string, and hooking his claw around it, pulling down. He paused; Kouga would have kept pulling had he not been so intoxicated by the sight and smell of her. He had known how aroused she had been, but the clothing had apparently been hiding it. He became drunk with the scent of her want. She was ready, for him, and he wanted her so badly it hurt. He finished pulling the green cloth off her, tossing it to the side, and she scooted a little closer to the grass, her head barely in the water now. He resumed his position above her, and Kagome felt the years of pain, of unacceptance, of feeling like a stand-in, melt away. She smiled up at Kouga's hazy blue eyes, and knew what he knew. She was her. She wasn't Kikyou. She wasn't Kikyou's replacement, nor was she her `reincarnation'. She was simply Kagome, and Kouga wouldn't have it any other way.

 

He leaned against her, and Kagome could feel his hardness against the very spot that cried for it. She ached, she wanted it so bad. But Kouga was taking his time. Is he afraid of hurting me? Is he not sure he wants to do this? Perhaps he is having second thoughts? No, she thought, that wasn't it. She searched his eyes with her own, and she thought she saw regret, no, uncertainty… Was he suspicious of her loyalty? Maybe he was still insecure, since he knew she had cared for InuYasha, and things had happened so quickly. No, that wasn't it either. She wanted to ask him, but she didn't want it to ruin anything, either. She had a habit of ruining things when she spoke. Attempting to toss it aside, she reached up gingerly, pulling him towards her, and kissed him softly.

 

He lovingly reciprocated, wondering why she had been so tense. Perhaps she was unsure of the next step, or perhaps she didn't actually want to take that step. Or maybe she was afraid to. He wasn't afraid of hurting her. On the contrary, he was afraid she was going to hurt him. He was afraid she was going to do this, then run back to InuYasha the first time she sees him. But how could he know what was going to happen? He felt her kiss become more urgent, needier. He searched the confines of her mouth, tasting her, and felt her rock her hips into his. He still didn't know if she was sure, which is precisely why he was so shocked by her next move. She reached down between them, searching under his pelt, and grabbed his shaft. She was shocked, feeling how large it was. She hadn't known what it was going to be like, but now, holding its' considerable size, she felt nervous. It pulsed under her touch, and Kouga's eyes widened, searching her half-closed, serene, chocolate colored eyes. She smoothly guided his throbbing member towards her opening, giving it a stroke.

 

“Gnn…” Kouga closed his eyes, unable to contain the pleasure she had brought him with a simple movement.

 

Kagome smiled, doing it a few more times, watching his face contort with satisfaction and moaning. She felt it harden with each stroke, pulsing with each advance. She stopped, and panting, Kouga opened his eyes, looking into hers. She positioned the head where she needed it to be, and looked at him dreamily, hungrily. She rocked her hips a little, aching for the release of all the pressure she was holding. He could see the desire, the need, the primal urging she had for this, and knew she was ready.

 

So he thrust into her. She cried, feeling like her body was being ripped apart. Alarmed, Kouga stopped. He had felt her virginity break, and he wanted to soothe her, to ease her pain, but he knew the only way to do this was to keep going. Kagome was literally crying now, not an all-out cry, but the tears were falling. He reached out, caressing her face, and kissed her softly, remaining inside her.

 

“Do you want me to stop?” he asked her.

 

“N… no. Keep going…” she replied shakily.

 

He understood, so he kissed her instead, softly, waiting for her to elevate the intensity. As the tears subsided, she interrupted the kiss, looking deep into the ocean that was Kouga's eyes. To her surprise, they were quivering, as if he were afraid. She brushed his hair out of his face, noticing the cold sweat that had accumulated on his brow. Again, she noted his striking looks; he seemed so foreign, with his fangs, pointed ears, and let's not forget the tail. But he was so familiar, so regular, that he wasn't so unusual. He was just… Kouga. She smiled, gazing into his eyes again, and the heat began to resurface. She kissed him softly, and after a few moments, she increased the pressure, kissing him more needily. Kouga sensed that the pain had subsided, and searched for her tongue. Their passion grew as they continued to devour each other. To his surprise, Kagome pushed up, allowing him to be pushed deeper within her. She winced, and he moaned with pleasure. Realizing that she wanted to continue despite the pain, he withdrew, and lunged forward again, making each of them make their appropriate noises. He continued, slowly, thrusting and pulling out, and within a few minutes, the pain had left, and was replaced by a warmth, a pressure that was building in her. She began to moan, slithering around in the water like a serpent. Kouga noticed her pleasure and picked up speed.

 

“Nnn… more…” she gasped breathily.

 

Happy to comply, Kouga became more forceful, pushing harder. Kagome rocked her hips in rhythm with his, and she felt the pressure build. Aching to relieve that pressure, she pushed up harder, and Kouga matched her force. He moaned, arching his back and leaning up on his arms so that he could look down upon the raven-haired miko below him. He noticed how prettily her cheeks flushed; they were like plums, much deeper than when she was embarrassed. He loved the way she looked right now, and tried to preserve the moment, slowing his pace. Kagome opened her eyes, wondering why he was slowing. She looked at him questioningly, and he smiled, driving himself deeper and making Kagome moan and close her eyes in delight. He watched her face contort as he tried thrusting from different angles, and enjoyed the noises she made. Suddenly, he felt the surge that told him that he wouldn't be able to hold out much longer.

 

“K - Kagome… I… can't last much longer…” he panted.

 

“Mmm… just… a little… longer…” she breathed.

 

“Gnn… I'll try…” he replied, struggling for air.

 

Kagome clawed at the wolf demon's back, watching him squirm under her touch. She reached up and caressed his face, and he turned, taking her finger in his mouth and biting gently with his fangs. She whimpered, and he released her hand, which she trailed down his chest. He pulled almost completely out, stopping. Kagome looked up at him, pouting. He grinned, and he plunged into her, making her cry out. He resumed a normal rhythm, and Kagome began to moan more urgently, close to her climax. Kouga, unable to hold out for too long, sped up his momentum. Suddenly, she grasped Kouga's forearms.

 

“Ah… Oh, oh, oh…” she gasped.

 

Kouga grinned wickedly, and he continued to thrust harder.

 

“Gnn… K… Kouga!” she cried out, arching her back.

 

The wolf prince, content with her pleasure, continued to follow her into bliss. With a few more thrusts, he reached his brink, spilling into her. He collapsed, laying on top of Kagome, and they both struggled to catch their breath. As their breathing normalized, Kouga leaned down to kiss her. She smiled at him, brushing his bangs off of his sweat-caked forehead.

 

“Mmm… That was incredible,” Kagome sighed.

 

Kouga chuckled, rolling off to the side slowly and pulling out of her. “Yeah, it was…”

 

They lay there for a while, touching and caressing each other and laughing softly.

 

“Well, maybe we oughta actually look for that flower…” he laughed.

 

Kagome nodded, but stayed where she was. Kouga lifted himself, standing in the water. He appeared to be thinking of something, then offered Kagome his hand. She looked at him lazily, twirling her hair.

 

“Wanna join me for a bath?” he asked.

 

“Mmm… sounds good. But where are my things?” she said, alarmed.

 

Kouga thought for a moment, and Kagome could see that he had remembered where it was. He nodded. “Your bag is back up at the top of the waterfall. Don't move.”

 

Without haste, he used the power of the Shikon shards in his legs to dart past her, accidentally spraying her with water. She frowned as she wiped the water out of her eyes, then went back to basking in the sun, enjoying the feeling that had come over her. She had never felt so satisfied, so… content. She giggled to herself, suddenly thinking of what had just happened. Well, why not? she thought. I'm 17, and he's sooooo handsome. And he loves me. And of course, I love him. I probably should have waited until I finished high school, but I think I'm old enough. And mama always told me I would know when it was right. She giggled again.

 

“What's so funny?” Kouga asked.

 

She looked over at him, noticing her big yellow pack over his shoulder. He slid the strap down his arm, placing the bag on the ground behind Kagome. She thanked him, and he nodded. Then suddenly, he was in the air. He landed with a splash in the water. Kagome sat up, noticing a patch of green in the lapping water. She reached for it and realized that it was her underwear. She tossed them unto the grass, then shouted to Kouga.

 

“Kouga? Could you see if you find my bra?” she yelled. When he gave her a puzzled look, she tried to explain. “The white… lacy thing that was, um, covering me before?”

 

He nodded, and waded around a bit before seeing it a few inches under the surface a few feet from where Kagome was.“Good thing for that great wolf vision, huh?” she laughed.

 

“Yeah. My vision picks up all kinds of things,” he taunted. “And some things are just so beautiful, I just can't stand it,” he cooed.

 

She smiled at him. “Well, there better be only one of those,” she teased.

 

“Kagome, ever since I met you, it's only been you,” he said softly.

 

He offered her his hand again, and this time she took it. He lifted her onto her feet, and she immediately ran into the water, diving when she got to a safe depth. Kouga snickered, then ran into the water himself. He joined her, and they splashed each other and played for a while. Finally, Kagome went back to the shore to retrieve her shampoo and soap, bringing them back into the water. Kouga watched as she poured some of the sweet-smelling goo into her hand and rubbed it into her hair. To his amazement, it became a flurry of white bubbles. Kagome, seeing the shocked look on his face, explained what shampoo was, then dipped under the surface, rinsing the stuff from her locks. She swam underwater to where he was, then surfaced. She had popped up in front of him, her bangs drooping over her eyes. Kouga wiped her bangs away and kissed her. She giggled, traveling to shallow water. There, she cleansed herself with the soap and walked back to her bag, placing the things back into one of the pockets. She jumped back into the water, returning to Kouga while washing the soap from her body. He scooped her up, and they laughed together. Kagome dipped her head back into the water, and Kouga kissed her neck.

 

“Hey, let's not start that again!” she laughed.

 

“Aww, why not?” Kouga pouted.

 

Kagome brought her head up, glancing at the waterfall. She gasped, getting Kouga's attention. He looked in the direction she was facing, squinting in his need to find what she saw. He scanned the cascade, glimpsing something pink atop one of the rocks that jutted out from the falling water. They looked at each other, then back at the pink speck. Then back at each other.

 

“Well, I guess we found the flower…” Kouga said.

 

Kagome nodded. “Well, we better go see if it's star-shaped,” she added.

 

A few minutes later, Kagome was clothed in her pink dress, standing on the bank near the cliff that held the waterfall. She watched as Kouga stood at the top of the falls, looking down at the rock that held the plant they hunted. From his place on the grass, he jumped. Kagome watched as he landed neatly, a foot on either side of the flower. He called down to her that it was the one they had been searching for.

End Notes:
Eh heh.... my first lemon ever.  So sorry if it's not to your liking...  ^_^;
This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=72