- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Character death / manga spoilers beginning with Chapter 456

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi.

Together Forever

She said she'd be with him forever, and in her own way, she had been. In her own way - she still was.

He didn't know how the human child had wedged her way into his heart. He was a youkai - not just any youkai but a true Daiyoukai like his father before him. And like his father before him, he'd found himself caring more for a human than should have been possible for his demon heart. After all, they did not love in the same sense as humans, and yet, he couldn't bear to be parted from her for long. He had even followed her to the depths of Hell to rescue her. Only then had he begun to understand how deeply his attachment to her went.

He had somehow acquired another human child in their travels. Kohaku had ended up staying with them, eventually becoming her husband. Even so, he had always watched over them and made certain that they were safe. He'd come in the night like a thief to check up on them; he did not want to make the other humans in the village afraid. Now he had been called to her side as she neared her end, old age finally taking its toll.

"Sesshomaru-sama, you came," Rin said softly, her voice still full of admiration and love for him.

"Yes. I promised," he answered.

Rin reached towards him, wanting to take his hand. Hesitantly, he gave it to her.

"Sesshomaru-sama, please promise me... promise that you will watch over my family as you have watched over me. I know that you always kept me safe, and I will always love you for that. You were the only father I ever really knew. I wanted to tell you that before I die. I know you will live for a very long time. Will you keep an eye on my children, and my grandchildren? Will you do that for me, please? I will be able to pass on in peace if I know they'll be safe," she pleaded.

"Yes, Rin."

With his pledge, a smile graced her face and she closed her eyes for the last time. Sesshomaru sighed at the memory as he watched the children run and play. There was one little girl, a great-great granddaughter, that looked just like her, like his Rin. Through her descendents, she would be with him - forever.