- Text Size +

Disclaimer: InuYasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi and I make no $ from this story.

 

Hearts Torn Asunder

 

A lone figure dressed in red with long silver-white hair stood alone in the dark forest, his face a mask of guilt. The girl he loved had witnessed something he keenly had not wanted her to see. The hurt expression on her face as she fled back to well and her own time pained him to the core.

 

This was the second rejection InuYasha was facing, right on the heels of the rejection of his resurrected first love, Kikyo. The look in her eyes as she drew that knife on him had stung. How cold her denial of his pledge to protect her had been….

 

The hanyou grimaced, clenching his fists in futile anger. Desperately he sought for the rage to burn away the ache in his heart.

 

“God damn it!” InuYasha snarled to the forest around him. “How could I be so stupid! I had to push the issue with Kikyo, knowing how she feels! Now look what I have done to my Kagome!”

 

In a flash InuYasha punched a tree near him. It was old and frail, and began to topple over. Likewise, said hanyou fell to his knees, with a groan, his face in his hands.

 

“Oh, Kagome, I’m sorry,” InuYasha whispered to himself. “What have I done to you now?”

 

Slamming his fists into the ground repeatedly, InuYasha felt the pain squeeze his heart over and over. This time, he did not feel compelled to run after Kagome and bring her back from her time. There was just no to bring himself to face her right now, even though he deserved every sit she may give him for being such an ass.

 

~*~

 

As she ran through the forest, Kagome pushed trees and bushes out of her way, breathing hard. Her heart pounded, and all she could see was the look on InuYashas face when he found her, peeking around the tree in shock. Her heart felt like it was being torn out of her chest, and she desperately fought to keep herself together long enough to get home.

 

‘Why do I feel so rejected?’ Kagome thought. ‘As if InuYasha was cheating on me…I know he loves Kikyo – but god it hurts!’

 

All the rare times InuYasha had looked at her like she was the only girl in the world for him; the time he nearly kissed her, the time he hugged her before pushing her through the well for her own protection. Each memory reared its head painfully in her mind, and she felt tears trying to form.

 

‘Must not cry, the forest is dark and I need to get home,’ Kagome thought. ‘I need to get away from InuYasha – baka!’

 

Yet Kagomes thoughts felt hollow to her. Some part of her was always left behind, even now, when she left the Feudal Era. And it was not the part of her soul that Kikyo held….

 

 Resolutely Kagome ignored her feelings in her frantic flight.

 

It was a dark day, as rejection ruled their hearts…