- Text Size +
They were converging, all coming at the same time. Well, let them come. Soon I will have the complete Shikon no Tama, since they are being so kind as to bring it to me after all. My original target was Sesshoumaru, but since they've all been drawn here by my scent, there may be a better plan of action. Such a big event, I'm sure that Kikyo will be attending, as well as Inuyasha and Kagome. The only thing left to do is wait.

~*~*~*~

Kagome had convinced Sesshoumaru to stop by a small town in order to obtain a bow and some arrows. It would not do to face Naraku unarmed. After the short stop, they continued on their way. Sesshoumaru and Kagome had been walking for quite a distance when she finally saw a clearing before them. As they approached, it seemed as though the air twinkled and as they stood a feet from the clearing, Kagome could see the air before them shimmering clearly. As Sesshoumaru took a step towards the shimmering space, Kagome hesitated uncertainly. It was a barrier, she was certain of it, but what it did to trespassers she had no idea. As she opened her mouth to warn Sesshoumaru, the shimmering slowly faded until it was nothing but a memory. We're expected Kagome turned her gaze to Sesshoumaru to find him waiting for her. She colored slightly as she realized that he had known the barrier was there as well. His eyes calmly beckoned to her. Kagome closed her eyes, took a de ep breath and released it. This is it. We're finally battling Naraku and not just his henchmen. Gripping her bow tightly, Kagome opened eyes that shined with determination. Naraku is strong, but there is no way we're going to let him win! Taking a step forward, she stood at Sesshoumaru's side, and together they walked into the clearing.

They found themselves standing before two buildings that appeared to be a former household. Before Naraku had taken the manor, it had most likely been home to a rich lord's family and servants. Now, only the stench of death remained as an indication of their existence. The smell of death added to the dark aura that seemed to suffuse the area while many youkai circled the smaller of the two buildings. It was in the building surround by youkai that Sesshoumaru sensed Rin's presence. With her, he also felt the presence of another human, probably one who followed Naraku's orders. If he was to make any move to rescue Rin, he had no doubt that Naraku's servant would kill the little girl. From the larger building, emanated a greater sense of evil than from the number of youkai in the area. The larger main building sat in the center of the clearing but strangely, there were no youkai near the main building. Even from a distance Kagome could see that a figure was sea ted on the steps, Naraku. Stopping a fair distance away, they stood silently as they awaited Naraku's move.

"Sesshoumaru, Kagome, welcome."

"Naraku."

"Well, well, isn't this different. Kagome is following you instead of Inuyasha these days? I guess he prefers to have the original rather than just a copy."

Kagome's hand fisted at her side, angry at the superior smirk on Naraku's face. She tried to calm herself because it was the truth after all, Inuyasha did prefer Kikyo to her. And somehow, it felt as though letting him anger her would be giving him an advantage over her. In her mind's eye, she imagined her fist breaking Naraku's face. The image of Naraku holding a bloody nose struck her as extremely funny and Kagome smiled brightly at the evil hanyou. Not expecting to the girl to smile at his gibe, Naraku momentarily lost his smile. Sesshoumaru smirked at the confrontation between his mate and Naraku. Over fifty years of experience and bested by a human no more than seventeen.

"Naraku. Seeing as you went to so much trouble to bring me here, there must be a reason you want me present. I suggest you get to the point. I have no patience for your little games."

"Sesshoumaru, what we have in common is that Inuyasha has something that belongs to each of us. I propose that we work together to take back what belongs to us."

"If you want something, take it back with your own two hands. I have no obligation to help you retrieve something you lost."

"Now, now, Sesshoumaru, that isn't exactly true that you have no obligation. I have in my possession the little girl you travel with and if you want to get her back intact, you should be more helpful."

"I will not be threatened."

Meanwhile, Rin had reverted to her exuberant self. Although Kohaku was holding her prisoner, the boy seemed nice enough. In fact, Kohaku was holding a conversation with the younger girl. Rin had discovered that the boy was like her in a way. When she had been alone in the world and her life threatened, Sesshoumaru had found and saved her. From talking with the boy, she had discovered that Naraku had saved him from death. She was a little confused with this Naraku character though. Naraku was the person who ordered her captured and kept in this house surrounded by youkai. Naraku saved Kohaku, who seemed like a nice person, but Naraku himself was not a good person. Rin knew that this Naraku couldn't be a good person; he was trying to keep her from her Sesshoumaru-sama after all. Suddenly, she realized that the boy had gone strangely silent.

"Ne ne, Kohaku-kun...daijoubu?"

Turning towards the older boy, Rin noticed that Kohaku was eerily silent. The silence was beginning to frighten her as the boy sat stone-like, head lowered. Rin slowly began backing up to the door, suddenly scared of this boy whom she had spent hours talking to. With her back to the door, she watched as Kohaku slowly lifted his head and turned to look at her. Much like a sleepwalker, Kohaku stood and reached behind his back to retrieve his weapon, eyes devoid of emotion. Rin's eyes widened at the sight of the weapon in Kohaku's hand as the boy stepped closer and closer.

Kagome spun quickly towards the smaller building as a loud scream pierced the air. Without thinking, she sprinted towards the building notching an arrow as she ran. The door slid open with a loud bang as a small figure ran quickly down the stairs. The surrounding youkai quickly focused on the tasty little morsel as Rin narrowly dodged Kohaku's weapon. The converging youkai blocked Kagome's view of the little girl as she prepared to release an arrow. Kagome frowned in concentration as Sesshoumaru watched without expression. Sesshoumaru had watched as Kagome rushed towards Rin without moving to help the two. Sesshoumaru, with his extensive battle knowledge, acknowledged the possible traps Naraku could have laid. He would not put it beyond Naraku to attack if he tried to help them. The youkai heading towards Rin were weak ones. With the hidden power held within her, Kagome could likely destroy those youkai easily. How well she could tap into that hidden power w as questionable however. The lord of the western lands felt the rise of power in his life mate. It was building rapidly and the miko seemed to glow in a blue-tinged light, while the notched arrow glowed brighter yet.

"Rin, get down!"

With that warning shout, the taut bow was released, sending a bolt of energy charging towards the group of youkai heading for Rin. In a wave of energy, all the youkai that stood in the path of the enchanted arrow was destroyed. Kagome remained in the stance that she had assumed when releasing the arrow, shocked at her own power. Rin was lying on the ground with her hands held over her eyes. When the growls of the hungry youkai after her had suddenly disappeared, the girl cautiously took an upward peek. Kagome stood before her, glowing brightly, like an avenging angel as Rin quickly ran towards the young woman. The little girl tugged lightly on Kagome's fuku when she did not look down at her. At the movement, the miko snapped out of the dazed amazement she had been feeling at the destruction caused by her hands. Kagome took hold of the small hand tugging nervously at her skirt and squeezed it comfortingly. Smiling reassuringly at the Rin, Kagome started quick ly back to where Sesshoumaru stood. Her eyes locked with her life mates as she hurried towards him, wondering at the strange look in her youkai's eyes.

Go. Kagome blinked in confusion, eyes searching Sesshoumaru's intently.

The lord of the western lands was happy. Maybe this wasn't the time to feel such an emotion but he had never felt such elation. At the moment that Kagome had saved Rin, Sesshoumaru saw in his mate what his future with her would be like. In his mind's eye, he had seen Kagome protecting their cub with such a fiery look in her eyes. That day would come for them, and Sesshoumaru found himself with a dream, a dream of their days together. But in order for that day to come, on this day, Naraku has to die. Sesshoumaru would not let anyone harm those whom belonged to him. It would be better if they were away from here, so he would not have to worry about them during the battle. Sesshoumaru saw Kagome's eyes flash in understanding acknowledging his decision with a slight nod. Her worried eyes remained with him as the youkai lord watched her turn away.

A lonely tear trailed down her face only to be brushed away quickly. Kagome shot one last longing look at her life mate before turning and running to the edge of the clearing. Sesshoumaru had no need to tell her his reasons; Kagome understood that they would be a distraction to him. If they had stayed, Naraku would have found some way to use them against her life mate. Knowing the reasons didn't ease the pain of separation however as Kagome led Rin further and further from Sesshoumaru. She knew Sesshoumaru was powerful, but she had seen what Naraku was capable of. The possible outcomes scared Kagome to the core.

Kouga's legs moved in barely perceivable movements as the Shikon shards helped the wolf youkai speed towards Naraku's scent. Almost there In a whirl of dirt and grass, Kouga entered the clearing and skidded to a stop, astonished. The ground was covered with dead youkai and despite the overlaying stench of death he could pick out Kagome's scent. Two pairs of eyes were visibly trained on himand he stared back blankly for a moment. Naraku, he had expected, and some of Naraku's lackeys were expected as well. What he did not expect was the see the lord of the western lands, Sesshoumaru, there as well. His instincts told him that something was going to happen; this battle with Naraku would decide the fate of many. Shaking off the strange feeling, Kouga quickly charged towards the youkai who had planned the destruction of his clan. Before he had gotten any further than a few feet, Kouga dodged suddenly as a chained sickle flew towards him and stopped in a crouch. H e growled at the sight of a young boy standing in his way, weapon in hand. Without warning Kouga sprang into action, claws outstretched, ready to rid himself of this obstruction.

"Hiraikotsu!"

Sango's giant boomerang sailed through the air between the wolf youkai and her brother causing both to pause in their actions. Kouga sprang back from the boy, putting distance between them in case the boy decided to attack again. The wolf youkai glared at the familiar group of people rushing towards him. Sango had caught her hiraikotsu and ran towards Kouga, long legs pounding the ground angrily. The taijiya seemed ready to attack him at any moment if the disgruntled look on her face was any indication.

"Don't touch him."

"Che. This brat tried to kill me. I'm returning the favor is all. But, if you're so concerned, you can take care of the kid. I have more important matters to take care of."

His words having been said, Kouga turned and sped away from the small group. Leaving the staring band of people he headed towards a familiar stench, Naraku. A distance away from the evil youkai, Kagura stepped out of the shadows to bar his way. His eyes widened momentarily before narrowing into angry slits as he growled ferally. Kagura was the one who had killed those belonging to his clan.

The wind user frowned in annoyance as she faced the furious wolf youkai. The tip of her fan placed under her chin, Kagura's eyes seemed to blaze. Chikuso. Fighting Naraku's battles for him like this...I yearn to be free from that bastard. Kagura's lips tightened in anger and opened her fan with an irritated flick of her wrist. Time to work. She pasted a gloating smirk on her lips, a look she knew would enrage the murderous youkai before her. Kagura was not disappointed as Kouga growled low in his throat.

"Kagura, you bitch, for slaughtering all my wolves you will pay with your life."

"Orders are orders. Not that it wasn't enjoyable, if they weren't so easy to kill." She laughed mockingly. "You think you can defeat me by your power alone? Without the Shikon no kakera in your legs you'll just be another weak youkai. Let's see what brave words of revenge you'll utter when I relieve you of your shards. Fujinomai!"

Kagura watched, unflinching, as the wolf youkai dodged every attack she directed at him. With her blades of wind, Kouga was unable to get close to her body for an attack. Frustrated, the only thing he was doing was trying to escape the deadly wind. Unbeknownst to Kouga, he was being herded a short distance away from where Kagura herself stood. There. Kagura released a different attack from her usual Fujinomai at the surprised Kouga. A whirlwind began to form around the wolf youkai, the wind carrying with it many grinning skulls. Soon, Kouga found himself encompassed by a deadly wall of wind. Within the cutting winds, Kouga tried to protect himself against the skulls that punished his body. But as he would break a skull in defense, the shards would cut him, leaving his body covered in bleeding gashes.

"So Kouga, what will you choose? Will you choose to remain inside my Ryujinomai and be sliced to pieces or will you come out and be sliced by me?" There was no reply from the trapped youkai and the longer he remained silent the more impatient Kagura became. Well, I guess I better let him out before it's just a cut up mess left. I'd have a hard time trying to find the Shikon shards if that happened.

Kagura looked up to find that Kouga was leaping out of her Ryujinomai. Slightly impressed that the wolf youkai had managed to escape her trap she smiled grimly. With a wave of her fan, she commanded an army of skeletons to attack the already injured wolf youkai. The myriad collection of human skeletons attached themselves in various ways to the growling Kouga. Some held his arms, some held his legs, and at the same time, a number of skulls sank their teeth into him. Kouga struggled to no avail as the many skeletons held him immobilized.

"Fujinomai."

Kouga found himself helpless to do anything but watch as Kagura's blades of wind came closer and closer. The wolf youkai clenched his fists tightly in frustration at being unable to do anything. In a splurt of blood, the Shikon no kakera were freed from his legs. Having achieved her goal, Kagura dismissed the army of skeletons with a careless wave. Freed from the gruesome grip, Kouga fell hard to land face down as Kagura looked down at the injured youkai with pity. Another victim of Naraku. Kagura bent and scooped the fallen Shikon no kakera into her hand. Sensing the approach of Inuyasha and company, Kagura tightened her hold of the shards within her fist. With a last glance at the fallen wolf youkai, Kagura turned pulled a feather from her hair and transformed it into a boat-like shape. Taking to the air in her giant feather, the wind-user made a quick escape.

Inuyasha arrived to see the retreating back of Kagura and the injured Kouga. The hanyou noticed the wounds on Kouga's legs and swore in frustration. There was no doubt that Kagura had taken the Shikon shards from the wolf youkai. Inuyasha turned quickly to leave, wanting to confront Naraku as soon as possible as a more instinctive feeling. He wanted to give Kouga time to himself, not that he would ever admit it if anyone asked. Somehow, seeing the strangely defeated look on that usually cocky face made him feel strangely uncomfortable. Surprisingly, he was stopped by the wolf youkai calling out to him.

"Hey dog turd! Kagome is here, so you better protect her well for me."

For once, the hanyou took no offense at the insulting nickname. Kagome is here? She's alive She's alive! With his back still facing the sitting Kouga he nodded silently while different feelings washed over him in waves. He felt relieved that Kagome was alive, but he was equally relieved that Kikyo had not killed Kagome. That Kagome lived did not change the fact that Kikyo had made an attempt on the girl's life. But it was all too late now. His road had already been chosen and he would not stray from that path no matter what. Determined, Inuyasha headed towards his most hated enemy as Kouga looked on.

Unnoticed by the two youkai because of the way the wind was blowing, Kagome had seen what had happened from a little ways back. Before she could reach them, Inuyasha had left in a rush. Kouga heard their running steps as Kagome and Rin finally approached his side. If Kouga thought it strange that Kagome was there with a little girl he did not show it. The wolf youkai just grinned as the miko rushed over to kneel beside him.

"Kouga-kun! Daijoubu desu ka?"

"This little injury is nothing." Kouga grabbed Kagome's hand with a smile. "I am honored that you would worry about me. Have you finally realized your true feeling? That you love me and not that dog turd?"

Kagome sweatdropped.

"Ano...Actually, Kouga-kun..." Kagome gently tugged her hands free of Kouga's loose grip. "I have finally realized who really possesses my heart and I have promised myself to him. Sesshoumaru is my life mate."

Kagome fiddled with her fingers not wanting to look up and see the hurt look on Kouga's face. Head bowed she waited for him to say something. Moments passed and Kagome lifted her eyes cautiously to look at Kouga. He was staring blankly without blinking with his mouth hanging open. Kagome waved her hands in front of his face in worry.

"Kouga-kun. Kouga-kun?"

"..."

"Gomen ne."

The side of Kouga's mouth quirked. It began as a soft chuckle and slowly increased in volume. Kagome just watched blankly as Kouga laughed uncontrollably, hands held to his stomach and eyes tearing. Kouga saw the dazed look on Kagome's face and laughed even harder. It was so ironic, actually. All along he had thought his only rival was the dog turd, which with being a full youkai he was superior to. The Lord of the Western Lands, eh? Dog turd isn't going to be very happy about this. Imagining the angry and shocked look on Inuyasha's face was amusing to say the least. It helped to know that the dog turd would be feeling the same loss.

"Don't worry Kagome. It's against a wolf youkai's nature to mess with another's mate." Kouga grinned. "But now, you better find a safe place to hide from Naraku."

Kagome smiled slowly and surprised Kouga with a short hug. Kouga reddened and scratched his head awkwardly. Kagome helped the injured youkai up and moved to a nearby ridge where he would be able to see the battle from a distance. No matter how much Kouga wanted to exact revenge on Naraku, he was in no condition to fight Naraku at the moment. Kagome glanced worriedly over to where Sesshoumaru stood, barely visible at this distance. Inuyasha and her friends were also fast nearing Naraku's location. Her hands fisted at her sides. Her mate and her friends were all in danger and she stood here, doing nothing.

A figure clothed in miko clothing caught her eye. Kikyo was heading towards the battle. Kagome didn't know what the undead miko was going to do but she had to do something. Kikyo may hate Naraku but she had also sworn to drag Inuyasha to hell with her. Kagome grabbed her bow and arrows but didn't know what to do about Rin. The little girl seemed wary of the wolf youkai or Kagome would have left Rin in Kouga's care. Bringing the little girl with her into battle was impossible. As it was, Kagome had no choice but to leave Rin with Kouga even if she was scared of him. Worrying over the problem, Kagome was startled when the ground suddenly shook. Spinning around she found herself face to face with a two-headed dragon. Unable to tear her eyes from the creature a hand's length from her, Kagome swallowed nervously. Dimly, she heard Rin's cries, which oddly, sounded quite happy. From her peripheral vision, she saw the little girl run forward and hug one of the creat ure's legs.

"Aun. Aun."

Kagome released the pent up breath she hadn't even realized she had been holding. She had thought she was going to be eaten by the creature. But the fact that Rin knew the creature was good timing. Rin and the two-headed creature appeared to be good friends, if the way the creature's heads nuzzled the little girl was any indication.

"Rin? Who's your friend?"

"Oh, Kagome onee-chan, this is Aun. He follows Sesshoumaru-sama, like Rin."

"Sou ka. Ne, Rin, would you like to stay with Aun for a while. Kagome onee-chan is going to go find our Sesshoumaru-sama and bring him back to us."

"Hai. Rin usually waits with Aun when Sesshoumaru-sama has something to do."

Kagome patted the little girl on the head and gave her a quick hug. She hoped everything turned out all right and she did return with Sesshoumaru. If they failed this world would be finished. And even if they succeeded what would happen to her once the Shikon no Tama was complete? But this was no time to be thinking such thoughts. There was no way she was going to let Naraku win. Whatever happened after will happen. Everything will turn out fine. Makenai!