- Text Size +

“Bye, Kagome. I love you.” He said, a small smile on his face, as he pecked his wife on the cheek. He slipped his feet inside his shoes, and stepped out of their home.

The perfect family, with the perfect loving wife, the perfect straight-A student children, and the perfect working class husband. The functional family. Nothing more and nothing less. With the blue sky and the perfect weather, Inuyasha walked up to his decent recently purchased car, not long after the wedding. He opened the door to his car, sitting inside and taking a deep breath. Life really has been perfect lately, he thought to himself. I’ve got it made.

The work day went reasonably well, also. Despite the fact it was work, he managed to stay happy. He went about his job, of answering calls, filling out paperwork and talking with coworkers.

--

“Here’s a little wedding gift.” He looked up and there was Sango, one of his coworkers. And in her hand was a basket of random household items, house-warming gifts. He smirked. “Heh, thanks.” He then looked back to his work. “I think Kagome would appreciate those more than I would, though.” She laughed lightly. “I know she would. But she’s on maternal leave, because you knocked her up.” Inuyasha then laughed. “You haven’t seen them yet, have you? They look like her. Don’t have much of me in them.” “And that’s a good thing.” Sango added, and punched Inuyasha in the arm. “You’ve been very happy lately. Not as cocky, or stubborn. And you actually do your job.” He nodded, and looked up at her. “Well, thank Kagome.” Sango then walked away, tending to her own business.

A few years ago, Inuyasha wasn’t doing so well. Though he was dating Kagome, which was a very good thing, nothing seemed complete in his life. He slacked in his job, and he pushed a lot of people away. What he truly needed was someone he wanted to settle down with, and could. Someone who could bring in happiness in ways that he had never experienced before. He’d had other girlfriends in his highschool career- but marrying Kagome topped it all off.

“Hey, wanna go out with us tonight?” Miroku then popped into the side of his cubicle. “A bunch of guys are going out drinking, and figured I’d invite you.” Inuyasha, for the second time, turned around, this time a little aggravated. “I’ve got a family, you know. Unlike you guys I have responsibilities outside of this building.” Miroku rolled his eyes, stepping further in. “You need a break! I know you just married her and all, but i’m sure you’d like to go out for a bit and get some fresh air.” Inuyasha sighed. “Ugh, fine. Just leave me alone right now, I’m trying to actually get some things done before lunch.” Miroku smiled, and nodded. “That’s what I thought. See you at the bar across the street, at 5:30!” And he walked away.

Inuyasha let out another sigh, before returning to his paperwork.

--

Five thirty had eventually come around, and Inuyasha was putting his jacket on and walking out. Waving to a few people who were staying a bit longer, he then opened the door. It had gotten a bit chilly, and his eyes squinted as the door shut behind him. He looked to his sides and then ran across the street, before reaching the window of the bar. He could see that Miroku and a few of the guys were there already, and had begun their first beer. He shook his head. Although he pretended to find them all immature and needing to grow up, sometimes he felt a little sting of jealousy for all of the freedom they still have, and how carefree their lives seemed to be.

He walked inside, greeted by cheers and greetings, as he went towards their table. The place was crowded, and people were yelling and laughing, the smell of alcohol floating through the air. “How long have you all been here already?” They all laughed. “About an hour, not that long.” Miroku said, and gestured to one of the seats.

“Come on, sit down already.” And as he sat down a waitress came up to the table, glancing back and forth between the men. “Any more drinks? You all aren’t done already, are you? You barely started.” Miroku looked up at her, and gestured towards him. “Get him a nice beer, will you?” The woman nodded and walked away.

Inuyasha shot an annoyed look at him. “Who said I was drinking?” He said coldly. “Why would you come to a bar and not drink?” Kouga said quizzically, who Inuyasha just noticed he was sitting next to. “Oh, Kouga, I haven’t seen you in awhile! How’s it been?” Kouga laughed and smirked slightly, taking a sip of his drink. “Good! I married that girl I was dating about a year ago.” Inuyasha gave him a puzzled look. “Who was it again? Amy? Anne?” “…Ayame.” Kouga finished for him, before laughing again and taking another drink. “Don’t worry about it.”

The whole table paused, as a beautiful girl walked by. Her long red hair swayed halfway down her body, and she had on a party dress; her large brown eyes lit up, and her smile was full and her teeth were white. “…Wow.” Miroku said, breaking the silence. “Excuse me.” He then got up and pursued the woman. Inuyasha rolled his eyes, and the woman set his beer down infront of him. “Thanks.” He said quietly, and took a sip.

“Some things never change.” Shippou said from across the table, who had just turned 21 a week ago. Inuyasha then looked over to him, just noticing him also. “Shippou? How old are you?” He laughed. “I’m 21, Inuyasha. If I wasn’t, I wouldn’t be here.” Inuyasha gave him a surprised look. “21? Wow, does time go fast! Goddamn, last time I talked to you, you just turned 19!” And he laughed, raised his drink in a toast-like way, and took a sip.

“So Inuyasha, how has it been?” Kouga said, interested. “None of us have heard from you in years!” Inuyasha smirked. “Well, you know…” “Tell us!” Shippou exclaimed.

“Well, I married Kagome, you know, the girl I dated after-” “-The Bitch.” Shippou finished, which raised laughter from everyone at the table. Inuyasha nodded, laughing lightly himself. “Yes, the bitch.” He then took another sip. “I always had a crush on Kagome,” Kouga said. “She’s really pretty. You’re a lucky guy.” Inuyasha smiled lightly, looking distantly through the windows. “Yeah. I know I am.”

“So, continue.” Kouga prompted, then ordered another beer.

“Well, after our wedding, I found out she was actually pregnant. And she had twins. Since then, life has been pretty damn good for me.” Inuyasha said confidently, glancing around the table, looking to see everyones reaction. But no one seemed jealous or anything, which disappointed him. “That’s cool, dude.” “Congratulations.” “That’s pretty sweet.” Was all he got, and he accepted that.

They continued their small talk, about the latest girl(s) they were seeing; about sports, their jobs, how things have changed so much since highschool. And out of anyone, Inuyasha had changed the most, they all agreed. Miroku eventually returned, with the girl’s number and a planned date. They all talked over beers with laughter and reminiscences.

And then he saw her.

Chapter End Notes:
How was it? Comments? Suggestions? Please review my story so far! ^_^