- Text Size +

The mountains in the distance filled the horizon as the sun shone down upon its majesty. Craggy peaks, steep falls, and scatter flora lined them creating a scene of beauty, and homes for the beings that chose to dwell there. Nearby another river coursed through the area. As Inuyasha and the others approached they were relieved to see it was very shallow. A drop of merely a few feet sat below the bridge; allowing for a moderate splash from anyone who should fall in.

                               

            As they left the Ninja village earlier Brent and Shippo were swarmed with a gratuitous overflow of thanks. Children hugged at Brent's legs as Shippo tried to shake people's hands. It would have been chaotic had Inuyasha not snapped at them for slowing them down. As Lord Genji and Hiro waved them off, they told Brent to take care of the weapon and wished them all good luck in their journey.

 

            The Tanegashima now had a sling attached to it thanks to some quick work from the Ninjas. It rested on Brent's back as the sling ran across his chest. His Tanto exposed with his shirt tucked behind the hilt. Now that a better weapon had been acquired Brent was a little more confident in his ability to fight.

 

            Upon reaching the bridge- "HOLD IT!"- Brent startled everyone a little as he carefully walked closer. While he eyed the surrounding area he removed Tanny, the name he'd given his new weapon, from his back. As the metal filled with light Inuyasha began to laugh.

 

            "What are you doing? There's no one around here! Relax."

 

            "Look after yesterday I'm not taking chances. Better safe than sorry. That's how I play." Brent replied.

 

            "I'm not picking up any scents around here...at least..." Inuyasha began to sniff the air and stepped in front of Brent.

 

            "Come on Brent. Let's just keep moving." Kagome crossed the bridge first with Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Kirara right behind her.

 

            "Wait a minute guys...I think I do smell something..." Inuyasha had his nose still in the air.

 

            "What is it? Another Demon? Did Setsuko forget to cover her scent?" Brent was just passing Inuyasha and stopped in front of him; his gaze darting everywhere. The second his back was turned...

 

            "RRRAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH!" Inuyasha roared and grabbed Brent's shoulders causing him to jump and stumble forward.

 

            "DAAAAAAAAAH!!!...DAMN IT INUYASHA!!!"

 

            "HAHAHAHAHAHA! I can't believe you fell for that! Wait a minute...now I really am picking up a-"

 

            "INUYASHA!" Kagome shouted angrily.

 

            Inuyasha and Brent both looked at her in surprise before she yelled again.

 

            "SIT BOY!"

 

            Inuyasha now regretted scaring Brent. The beads around his neck filled with a white light as he slammed down into the bridge. As several of the boards broke from the sheer force, Inuyasha fell through the hole with a shout and splashed into the river.

 

            "Yeah. That jerk wants me to trust him and yet he goes and frikkin' scares me like that. Maybe the river will wash away some of his stupidity!" Brent walked  over toward the others.

 

            "Sadly he can be pretty hard-headed..." Sango sighed.

 

            "He's just gonna play the victim once he dries off..." Shippo rolls his eyes.

 

            "Whether he thinks he's a victim or not he deserved it! Inuyasha shouldn't have scared Brent like that!"  Kagome crossed her arms in a huff.

 

            "Guys I think we have a visitor..." Miroku was looking up the path ahead.

 

            As Brent joined them he looked up the path to a highly unusual sight. A tornado. What looked like a man-sized tornado was coming straight for them at an alarming speed. Everyone didn't seem bothered by this, but Brent was starting to panic as it came at them head-on.

 

            "Guys...what is..." Brent started as he looked between all of them. The miniature tornado was almost on them. Then Brent noticed its path...it was heading toward Kagome! "WATCH OUT!"

 

            "EEK!" Kagome shouted as Brent dove toward her, grabbed her, and tried to shield her. Brent had expected to be thrown into the air, but was shocked to hear someone speak.

 

            "What are you doing with my Kagome?!"

 

            Rolling to his back, Brent looked up to see a man standing before him. He had long black hair tied in a ponytail, a sword at his side, sharp blue eyes, wore bits of fur and armor, and had an unpleasant scowl on his face.

 

            "Who is this guy?" The man asked as he looked at Kagome.

 

            "Oh hi Koga!" Kagome took his hand as she was helped up. "This is Brent. He's from my time!"

 

            "What...what the...where did the tornado go?!" Brent looked around confused as he still lay on the ground.

 

            "That tornado was me." Koga smiled smugly.

 

            "What?!" Brent looked more confused than ever.

 

            "Koga has a Jewel Shard in each leg. He can run and move incredibly fast!" Kagome said.

 

            "Right...wait...How is it he can do that when I can't do much else with just one?"

 

            "The Shards have stronger effects on Demons."

 

            "You're lookin' at the leader of the Wolf Demon tribe kid." Koga wore the same smug grin.

 

            "Oooooook...Well how about you give me a hand up?" Brent sat up and offered his hand.

 

            "No way. You smell like that mutt Inuyasha."

 

            "Excuse me?!" Brent looked at him incredulously.

 

            "Koga be nice! Brent has had a rough time ever since he got here!" Koga crossed his arms as Kagome pleaded with him.

 

            "I do not want that filthy stench on me." Koga looked away as Brent got to his feet and dusted himself off.

 

            "What is it with you canine-types? They say dog is man's best friend but so far I've had one threaten my life, one scare the bajesus out of me, and now you just being a flat out jerk!"

 

            "I'm not a stupid dog. I'm a wolf!"

 

            "Oh but you still are related! I bet you still roll around in some filthy things like a dog does!"

 

            "Can't say I didn't see this coming..." Sango said quietly.

 

            "With how Brent reacted with Inuyasha the first time they met this is no surprise..." Miroku responded.

 

            After that last remark Brent tried to walk away, but Koga zipped right in front of him looking irritated.

 

            "I'm not like one of those stupid mutts! You got that?! I think you owe me an apology!"

 

            "An apology for what? What do you want me say?" Brent raised an eyebrow.

 

            "I'm sorry for saying you smell like a mutt!" Koga leaned in with a sneer.

 

            "Apology accepted. Thank you." Brent walked past without a second thought.

 

            "You're wel-...HEY WAIT A MINUTE!!!" Koga turned back and started to approach him with clenched fists.

 

            "Boys will you please-" Kagome was quickly drowned out.

 

            "That's not what I meant to say!" Koga roared.

 

            "Not my fault you were dumb enough to fall for that." Brent said with a smile. He was laughing inside. That felt rather good even if it was easy.

 

            "Gotta hand it to Brent that was pretty funny!" Shippo couldn't help but chuckle. Even Kirara seemed to be laughing.

 

            "If I hadn't made a promise to Kagome I'd eat you alive right-" Koga was cut off as he had to suddenly dance around three beams of light fired at his feet. Everyone, including the Wolf Demon, was shocked at the sudden speed that Brent displayed.

 

            Brent had quickly gone from smiling to solemn and fierce; his weapon still aimed at Koga's feet. Scorch marks were left where the beams had hit the soil. "Listen, Koga was it? I have had a rough week here. I've been nearly bitten in half, choked, almost had my soul ripped from my body, and dealt with more of you Demon types than I care to count. So, on those notes, if you threaten to eat me you better do it before I shoot you. That is your ONE and ONLY warning wolfboy. And for the record. I'm not a kid. Now back off."

 

            "Brent calm down! Koga won't hurt you! He's on our-" Kagome was interrupted once again as her gun-wielding friend spoke.

 

            "Kagome I don't want to hear it! The only Demons here I trust are Shippo and Kirara, and that's because he's just a child and Sango can control Kirara! No offense buddy." Shippo knew Brent meant no harm by it, but he couldn't help looking away a little. Kirara cocked her head to the side. "Don't tell me to trust Inuyasha, this guy, or anyone else who is a DEMON. You may look human Koga...but I'm not going to let my guard down for that."

 

            "Brent..." Kagome was worried this would happen. But how could she blame him? His experiences have been nothing but fights for survival.

 

            "Fine. I'll leave you alone. But let me warn you human. You better not be the cause of my Kagome getting hurt. I plan on marrying her and if she dies because you-"

 

            "YOUR Kagome? What? Are you claiming her like some piece of property? That's not how things work!"

 

            "She's the love of my life and if you get her killed I'll tear you apart!"

 

            "Oh make my day wolfboy! PLEASE make my day!" Brent raised Tanny up and aimed directly at the Wolf Demon. Koga sneered as he readied to run forward.

 

            "THAT'S ENOUGH!" Kagome had finally grown weary of the fighting and stepped between them. "Koga! Just leave him alone! Brent! You need to chill out and put your gun down! Now, both of you apologize!"

 

            The Human and the Demon stared each other down as everyone watched quietly. Brent didn't like upsetting Kagome. Of all the people here, he knew that she at least cared the most about his well being. Lowering his weapon and slinging it on his back he took a deep breath and tried his best.

 

            "Koga...I'm sorry." Brent didn't look happy about, but he at least tried to sound somewhat sincere.

 

            "Thanks. That was all I wanted." Koga smiled and turned away to leave.

 

            "Wait a sec! Where's my apology?!"

 

            "I already gave you one. Or did you forget? I'll see you later Kagome! I'll be in the area if you need anything! Glad I caught your scent earlier!"

 

            "HEY DON'T YOU-"

 

            Koga was already speeding off the way he came looking like the miniature tornado. Brent was fuming as he watched the arrogant Wolf Demon disappear.

 

            "You know that creep?! Please tell me you don't want to marry him! How do you trust him?! He's a DEMON!"

 

            "He's saved my life and Inuyasha's before! And no I don't plan on marrying him! He's just...he just really likes me."

 

            "He did kidnap you, and his wolves almost ate us, but he did stop all that..." Shippo said idly.

 

            "HE WHAT?!" Brent practically screamed. "Kagome, you are CRAZY for trusting these Demons! They could pull a 180 any second!"

 

            "Inuyasha and Koga wouldn't hurt us! I swear on it!"

 

            "I play better safe than sorry. No way I'm putting my trust into them. You guys, yes. Them? No. Not after Inuyasha's older brother...what's his name...threatened my life. Even after Shippo and I helped saved that girl and his little minion!"

 

            "Wait, Sesshomaru threatened you?" Sango stayed calm despite Brent's ranting.

 

            "Yeah! He was so incredibly grateful for us helping he still threatened us! You know I was told Japan had some weird things to experience, but this? Not what I had in mind!" Brent started to walk off leaving everyone rather speechless for a moment.

 

            "I don't think he's ever going to get past what that Lizard Demon did to him." Sango watched worriedly.

 

            "We just need to show him that Inuyasha and Koga can be trusted!" Kagome said optimistically.

 

            "That's far easier said than done. Just talking to him won't get the point across sadly. This will take action and we can't force something like that." Miroku stood there contemplating.

 

            "KAGOME!" Inuyasha's voice boomed as he came walking up. "We're gonna have a little talk about-"

 

            "Sit boy."

 

            "GYEEEEAAAAAHH!!!"

 

            The Half-Demon slammed into the ground as Kagome huffed and walked away towards Brent.

 

            "You came at the worst possible moment Inuyasha." Shippo lamented.

           

            "What... happened..." Inuyasha asked even though he lay on the ground looking dazed.

 

            "Koga happened...And we just learned that Brent still doesn't trust you...and certainly not Koga..." Sango was looking in the direction that Kagome and Brent went.

 

            "What? Mmmph...What happened?" Inuyasha held his head as he got to his feet.

 

            "We'll explain along the way. For now...it would be best to leave our new friend alone..." Miroku said.