- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you like it. I don't own Inuyasha, unfortunately; but I do own the plot and the most of the weapons made. They were entirely my own.

“Momma, a little help?” I asked as I entered the shop. My Okaa-san took Kikyou and Inuyasha from my back quickly. I rubbed at my aching neck then untied my katana from my hip and set it against my work table. Before I could gain control over my rising emotions, I screamed and hit my fist on the top of the table, sending tools and miscellaneous pieces of metal rolling off the table to fall to the floor.

“How dare he?!” I yelled angrily. “Kagome, what’s wrong?” my Okaa-san asked worriedly. I didn’t answer; instead I grabbed a sheet of metal and started the kiln. A moment later, a piece of parchment and a chunk of coal were being demolished as I designed a new weapon. I decided on a metal bow and arrows.

I had good cording to use for the draw string and feathers for the tails of the arrows. When the kiln was hot, I put the metal into a pot to melt it and placed the pot in the kiln. I waited while the metal melted, finding suitable molds and carving knives as I ignored my Okaa-san’s persistent questioning. I noticed that all the metal had melted and poured it into the mold. While it cooled and hardened, I drew the carvings I would put into the shaft and started melting metal for the arrows.

As I was pouring the metal into molds, Inuyasha and Kikyou woke up. The shaft for the bow had cooled enough for me to carve the design into it and Kikyou spoke after my Okaa-san asked, for the thirtieth time, what was bothering me. “Lord Sesshomaru accused her of wanting a reward for taking Hime Rin back to the castle.” She said. My family knew me too well; I only made new weapons when I was upset.

 I ground my teeth together and finished carving into the shaft. The metal for the arrows had melted, so I poured it into molds. I had fifty molds and I used all of them. “Momma, I need room to work. I’m going to stay here for a few days. I’ll come to get Inuyasha and Kikyou tomorrow for their training.” I told her. My tone of voice alerted them I wasn’t in the mood for arguments.

My Okaa-san nodded and left with my siblings. Once alone, I carved designs into the arrows to finish them, and tied the chord to complete the bow. My anger sated for the moment, I went out into the market to get a quiver for my arrows. Then I remembered the thief had my money unless I went home to get some. I decided to speak to the owner of a hunting supplies shop; I had made his daughter a katana years before in exchange for a favor of my choosing.

“Hey, Totosai. Do you remember that favor you owe me’ I started. “Of course, Miss Kagome. What can I do for you?” he replied. “I need a quiver. A sturdy one that will hold fifty metal arrows. And,” I added as an after-thought, “I want to look at some of your leather archers’ glove.” I told him. “That’s very specific, Miss Kagome. You must have just made your arrows. I’ll see what I have.” He smiled as he spoke.

I nodded and the moment he left I turned to watch my shop from the entrance. I saw a line starting to form and hoped Totosai would hurry. “Here is the quiver, Miss Kagome. I have three pairs of gloves for you to choose from as well.” He told me as he placed three bundles on a counter. I lifted each pair in turn and tried them on one by one.

I decided on a black pair designed close to my bow that fit my hands perfectly. “These; thank you, Totosai.” I said, smiling at him. “I hope they serve you well.” He replied. I nodded to him before leaving to return to my shop. The line I thought was being made turned out to be a family. They followed me into the shop after I unlocked the door.

“Hello, how can I help you today?” I asked, smiling at them to make them feel more comfortable. “We need a katana. One that will be easy to use and adjust to. Our daughter is leaving to go to the southern kingdom and we want her to have something to protect herself with.” the man replied. I smiled; it wasn’t often someone got right to the point.

 “Do you have any preferences on design?” I inquired. The man nodded and passed over a piece of parchment. The design looked like flowing water over the blade. “Do you want these carved in or raised from the blade?” all these were standard questions that I asked with practiced ease. “Which will make the katana easier for her to swing?” the onna asked.

“Having it carved in will bring less resistance. That’s what I suggest. It will also move through flesh easier to bring attackers down faster.” I answered. “Then we want it carved in.” the man replied. I nodded to them and smiled again. “How do you intend to pay for this?” I questioned them.

That was when a teenage otokonoko stepped forward. “I will become an apprentice for you and work free of charge to pay for my sister’s and any other weapons my family commissions from you.” The otokonoko said quietly. “Do you intend for your family to commission more weapons?” I asked.

He nodded and seemed to be waiting for my answer. “Very well. I will take that deal.” I agreed, taking his hand in a firm shake. “When should we return for the katana?” the onna asked. Apprentices stay with their masters, so we will be able to finish it tonight. “Come back tomorrow.” I suggested. At that, they nodded and left the shop.

I turned to the otokonoko and studied him closely. He had red hair, emerald eyes, and he seemed a foot shorter than me. “What is your name?” I ask. “My name is Shippo.” He answered.

“Well, Shippo; it seems we will be spending a lot of time together. My name is Kagome. There are a few things you need to know if you are going to be my apprentice: my family is here often, so you will see a onna and two twins often; Lord Sesshomaru has instructed me that he would be coming here tomorrow, and he may visit periodically; every other day I spend a few hours after dawn training my siblings; anything that you see me making without someone asking for it is off limits. I think that’s everything. Welcome to the Siler Shaper’s family.” I smiled.

The moment I had told him about Lord Sesshomaru he seemed to have frozen. I knew what he must be thinking: ‘why was the Lord coming here?’ “Do you know anything about caring for metal?” I asked. He nodded, but seemed to be sheepish about it. “I know how to polish and properly protect it from the elements, but not much else." He admitted.

“Then I will teach you what I know. There is no need to be ashamed of you amount of knowledge. You are still young and learning. I can see you are destined for greatness. Now, shall we begin on your sister’s katana?” I suggested. He nodded and I led him to the kiln. “Get this to start. Do not stand too close once it is started or you could be burned. Once it starts, go to the last room of the shop and choose a mold that matches what you want for your sister. After you have done that, help me choose a type of metal for the katana.” I instructed him.

He nodded and set to work while I cleaned my carving knives. When the knives were clean, I turned my attention to the arrows still piled on my work table. Finally, after a few moments of frantically searching for my quiver and gloves, I found them and put all the arrows into the quiver. I placed my gloves in my pocket, and sat to double check my bow.

Once I was sure my bow was secure, I sat to watch Shippo. He finally chose a mold and I led him to the room where I stored the different types of metal I had. “Pick one. Follow your instincts. Let them guide your hand.” I told him Shippo nodded and, closing his eyes, held out his arm above piles of metal. Moments later, after he circled the room, his hand rested on the pile of silver.

“Good choice. Siler is easy to care for; difficult to be weathered by the elements; it doesn’t rust quickly; it’s light and strong; a perfect metal for the katana of a traveller.” I complimented. Shippo turned to me with a smile on his face and a light in his eyes. We returned to the main room of the shop so he could continue.
“Here,” I handed him a pot, “put the sliver in this then put it in the kiln to melt.” I instructed. He nodded and did so eagerly. After I heard the clank of the pot in the kiln, Shippo shouted. “What is it?” I asked. “I… I burned my hand.” He told me, turning to show me his injured appendage. Gently, so as not to cause him more pain, I grabbed his wrist and examined his hand.

“It’s not too bad. From now on, wear gloves when you deal with the kiln. Sit down and I’ll treat your hand while the silver melts.” I told him. I grabbed clean bandages, herbs for burns, and a bowl of water. I dunked Shippo’s hand in the water then dabbed it dry. Then, I crushed and mixed the herbs with a little water.

Carefully, I put the herbs on Shippo’s hand and slightly rubbed it in. As I wrapped the bandages tightly around his hand, Shippo hissed in pain. “Alright. You’re all set. So, I’m curious; what kind of youkai are you?” I asked. “Well, I’m a kitsune. The family I came with today are anaguma.” Shippo whispered. “What do you mean? I thought they were your family.” I wondered, confused.

“They weren’t my family. I consider their daughter my nee-chan, but they only really claimed me as their son today. My Okaa-san died when I was little and my father died years ago. I don’t have any other family.” Shippo answered. “They lied to me?” I demanded. Shippo nodded slowly and looked at the floor.

“I’ll give them that sword free of charge this time. But only because you consider the on’nanoko your sister. If you want to stay, then you can. But you will not stay for them. Do you understand, Shippo?” I asked him softly. “I’d like to stay. I have nowhere else to go, and I’d like to learn.” Shippo answered quietly.

 “Shippo, how old are you?” I questioned suddenly. “I’m sixteen.” Was his reply. I nodded and turned to the kiln. Seeing the silver had melted, I pulled it from the kiln and poured it into the mold as I considered the offer I wanted to give him. “Can I tell you something and trust you not to expose me?” I asked first.

“Yes.” he responded quickly. “I am a… a hanyou.” I spit out, holding my breath. “I understand.” He whispered. “I know I can never replace your Okaa-san; but if you would like, I can adopt you.” I offered. When his head snapped you and his eyes widened at me, I flinched and opened my mouth to tell him to forget it.

 I didn’t get a chance; because before I knew it, he had thrown himself at me and began hugging me tightly. “Can I take that as a yes?” I asked carefully. “Hai. I would love for you to adopt me, Miss Kagome. He said, his voice cracking ever so slightly.

 “Shippo, you can call me Okaa-san. Thank you; for allowing me the chance to be an Okaa-san.” I told him, hugging him tightly. He nodded against the top of my chest and I felt water drop on my shoulder. “Shhh… Shippo, it’s alright. Why don’t you sit down while I finish the katana?” I suggested.

As he sat down, I laid my carving knives on the table beside the katana’s design. I released the katana from the mold, sat beside Shippo, and began carving the design into the katana. “I found a prayer for protection a while ago; can I put it on the other side of the blade?” Shippo asked tentatively.

“Of course you can, honey. I’m almost done so as soon as I clean it you can start. After you carve the prayer in we’ll sharpen and polish it.” I told him. The silence that followed was deafening, and if I hadn’t finished the designs I would have started fidgeting. I flipped the katana over and slid it in front of Shippo.

“Here, this knife is for carving kanji. Let me know when you’re done and we’ll sharpen it, polish it, and bind the hilt. Go ahead and carve the prayer in while I clean my knife and gather the last of what we need to finish the katana.” I suggested as I stood from my seat. As Shippo began, I turned to a bucket of water to clean the knife.

After deciding it was clean, I put the knife on the shelf where it belonged, and gather the sharpening stone, cloth, and oil. Sitting back down, I noticed Shippo as just finishing carving the prayer into the katana. “Very good, Shippo. Ready to learn my secret to sharpening?” I asked. At his enthusiastic nod, I smiled and led him over to the kiln. I held the sword in the flames and at Shippo’s frantic look, I explained my actions.

“This is how I sharpen blades. Once the heat from the flames is felt in the hilt, we pull it out and sharpen it. We repeat this until the blade is sharp. It won’t ruin the design or the prayer.” At this, he relaxed. Quickly, I felt the heat in the hilt under my hand and pulled the katana from the flames. Grabbing the stone, I set to work sharpening the blade.

Chapter End Notes:

Yes, I added Shippo. He's going to be older than Inuyasha just for the fact that i don't want Inuyasha to be old enough to hit him. And yes, I took away Inuyasha's and Kikyou's possiblity to be a couple. I'm so evil, aren't I? :)