- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapters going to be pretty long. We're getting closer to the end of the story, but there's still a ways to go.

When I woke up, I saw dark walls and felt the cold of the floor I was laying on. “Where am I?” I wondered aloud. “You are in my dungeon. Welcome to the palace of the south; your new home.” I heard someone say. “Show yourself.” I demanded as I jumped to my feet.

“Do not worry my dear. I am right here.” I heard the voice say. Suddenly, a light illuminated the room and I saw Oji Renkotsu on the other side of a cell door. “Why have you brought me here?!” I shouted. “You will accept my claim on you and become my mate or I will kill your family. I am the only one who has the key to the shackles you’re I and no one know you are here.” he claimed.

“How dare you threaten my family? Just wait until I get my hands on you. This time, I won’t allow you to live.” I declared, glaring at him through the bars. “I don’t believe so. You will behave, or your family will pay the price. Don’t want that unborn child of your parents to never see the light of day.” He retorted. I froze; my family could be in serious danger if I didn’t get away.

I sighed; I would have to do things his way until I could find a way out of here. “I will behave. You have the right to court me. Please, show me my future home.” I requested, trying to make myself sound meek and resigned. He smiled, and opened the cell door. I stood beside him, and had to keep myself from cringing when he wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into his side as he led me out of the dungeon.

“This is the great hall. It was designed by my father.” He told me, pointing out paintings of his ancestors on the walls. While he spoke, I noticed that there was a door to the front of the castle from across from the throne. Luckily, he was too dim to take my weapons away from me. Now all I had to do was get the key to the shackles he had on me.

I knew this type of magic. It kept the wearer from being able to use their abilities. I wouldn’t be able to run fast enough to get back home with these on; and he’d be able to catch me. Now all I needed was to convince him to take the shackles off. “Oji Renkotsu”- “Renkotsu, please. We will be mates soon, Kagome.” He interrupted, placing a kiss on my cheek.

I had to prevent myself from gagging before I spoke again. “Renkotsu; do you have a garden? I love sitting in sakura tree branches. They help me relax.” I declared, forcing myself to smile sheepishly. “Of course, this way my dear.” He replied, pulling me to the door that led to the front of the castle.

Once outside we went to the left the straight ahead until I saw sakura trees. When we stepped up to one of the larger ones, I frowned, looking at the ground pouting as best I could. “What is the matter, Kagome?” he asked.

“I cannot jump into the tree. If you were to pick me up, the shackles would affect you as well and we would fall before we made it to the first branch.” I muttered. “That is simple enough to correct, my dear.” He claimed, pulling a key from a hidden pocket in his shirt. He deftly unlocked and removed the shackles from my wrists and my ankles and moved to grab my hand.

With swift precision, I dodged his hand and struck him in the back of his head with my bow. “Foo. As if I would honestly become your mate.” I spat. He quickly fell unconscious and I spun to run away. I was just out of the castle walls when Sesshomaru landed in front of me. “What are you doing here?” I asked quietly. “I came to rescue you.” He answered.

“To rescue me?” I questioned. “Yes you silly onna. I love you, and once small argument is not going to change that.” he replied. I threw myself into him and hugged him as tightly as I could, allowing my tears to fall. “I love you too. I’m sorry I ran away again. Please, take me home.” I said into his ear.

He wrapped me in a hug and we lifted from the ground as he took us to the west. “What did he do? You were only gone for two days.” He inquired. “He tried to force me to accept his claim to court me. He threatened my family. He put shackles on my so that I couldn’t run or fight. It almost killed me every time he touched me.” I cried.

 I buried my face in Sesshomaru’s shoulder and allowed my tears to fall as I let out my fear. “It’s alright, Kagome. I won’t allow him to hurt you or your family.” He promised. “Sessho, I would have been at his mercy tonight. He could have forced me to become his mate and I wouldn’t have been able to fight back.” I sobbed.

“What do you mean?” he demanded. “All hanyou have a time of weakness where we become ningen. Our bodies aren’t equipped to handle our youkai blood all the time like full youkais’ bodies are. My ningen night is tonight, the night of the full moon.” I answered quietly.

“You will never have need to worry about your human night again Kagome. I promise you.” He asserted. “Thank you. I was so worried for you and the others.” I replied. He began a rumbling in his chest that calmed me enough to where my tears ceased and I could think properly.

“We need to go to the east to gather my things.” I suddenly said. The curious look he sent me told me that I needed to explain myself. “Well, I can’t very well leave all of my things in the east when my home is in the west with my mate, now can I?” I questioned. Suddenly, he pushed me out to where he could look into my eyes and studied me for a moment.

“You are sure?” he asked. “As sure as I have ever been about anything in my life; I won’t wait until it is too late. We both deserve better than to wait until it’s too late.” I answered. “We will be able to gather your things and make it back to the castle just after dark by air. We will be wed tomorrow afternoon." He decided.

I smiled and hugged him tighter. It was a few hours before noon now as he turned direction to head to the east. “Is everyone still in the west?” I inquired. “Yes. I asked them to stay there while I went to get you.” He answered. “Good. I need to tell Kirara to go to the west with my things. I want her to make my dress. Before we leave the east I need to tell Ayame that if she wishes to work with me, then she will need to move to the west. I’m going to give her my old house and make her a space connected to my shop if she agrees.” I explained.

 “You generosity and caring heart never cease to amaze me.” he declared. I blushed and buried my face in his shoulder imprinting his scent in my mind. I purred at the combination that made up his scent. “Why are you purring?” he questioned. “You smell like moonlight flowing above a hot spring during a summer night.” I whispered.

“I see… do you know what your scent is?” he asked. “No, I never thought to ask. I can’t identify my own scent like most other cats.” I replied. “Would you like to know?” he inquired. At my nod, he breathed deeply at my hair and my neck before answering. “Like cherry blossoms, jasmine, honey, and cinnamon, hovering in a forest during a spring rain.” He declared, nuzzling my neck. I smiled and relaxed completely in his embrace, falling into a light sleep.

I was jolted awake some time later by the rattling of armor and the clanging of metal against wood. I pulled out of Sesshomaru’s warm embrace to face the guards. “Do not worry. I am here to collect my things. Please send Kirara to my room immediately.” I instructed them.

Their slight, silent nods were all I needed to now they would do as I had asked. With a swift turn, I made my way into the castle, pulling Sesshomaru behind. Finally, after winding through the maze-like hallways, we entered my bedroom to find that some of my kimonos had been laid out on the bed.

 I didn’t recognize these kimonos. “Where did these come from?” I wondered aloud. I shook my head in confusion and began packing my things away. Once everything was packed and being taken to the front of the castle to be put in a wagon, I sent to Shippo’s room and packed his things.

After sending Shippo’s things to the wagon, I went back to my now empty bedroom to get Sesshomaru. “I see you’re back, Kagome.” Kirara said from behind me. “There you are, Kirara. I would like for you to come to the western kingdom with me and design my wedding kimono.” I informed her.

“I would be honored Kagome.” She replied. “As would I, Kirara. Thank you. I would like you to ride alongside the wagon that is taking mine and Shippo’s things to the west so you will get there quickly. I shall see you soon, my friend. Be safe of I might have to teach Bankotsu a lesson.” I told her, smiling when she blushed.

“We still have one more stop to make, Kagome. We should be on our way.” Sesshomaru reminded from behind me. “Alright. Let’s go then. I want to make it back before dusk.” I answered, grabbing his hand and pulling him towards the door.  He stopped me from going any farther just after we stepped out of the enormous doors with a tug that sent me falling into him.

 He caught me under my arms and I felt him laughing through my back. “You are very clumsy, Kagome.” He observed. “Oh yes, very funny. How very mature of you.” I quipped. Before I could stand straight, he pulled my back flush against him and we rose from the ground on a cloud of his energy. “Where is the shop you need to go to?” he questioned.

“It is directly across from mine. Ayame should be inside.” I answered. I watched the landscape pass below us in silence as we continued towards the market. Just as we entered, I heard the whispers of the shopkeepers and the villagers around us. We easily made our way through the crowd towards Ayame’s shop. “Ayame, are you here?” I called.

“Hime Kagome, is that you?” I heard her reply. “Yes I need to speak with you.” I told her, waiting for her to appear. She strolled from a door in the back of the shop and stopped a moment when she saw Sesshomaru before continuing until she was a foot or so across from me.

“Ayame, I would like for you to meet my mate-to-be, Lord Sesshomaru. Sessho, this is Ayame. Now, I remember our deal, but I wanted you to know that I am going back to the west. I would like to keep our deal, but I will not force you. I was wondering if you would like to come back to the west with me, and I will put up a shop for you connected to my own if that is what you wish. It is entirely your decision. I do not wish to break our deal, but if you prefer to be here, then I will honor your wish."

 "It is possible to keep our deal intact even when we are in two different places, but I believe that would tax your abilities too much if I were in a position to need to make a big order at one time. I shall be returning to the west today. But I will give you all the time you need to decide. If you decide to stay, you need only send word to me. If you decide to go, then I will need you to go to my Otou-san’s palace and have Myouga escort you to the west.” I explained.

“I shall need a few days. You will have my answer as quickly as I can make it, Hime Kagome.” She decided. “Very well, I hope to work with you either way; but as I said before, it is entirely up to you. I must make my leave now. Take care of yourself Ayame.” I told her, turning after slightly bowing my head and pulling Sesshomaru behind me.

“Kagome, must you continue to pull me?” he demanded. “No, but it is enjoyable.” I replied, turning to him with a smile. My smiled faltered at the look he was giving me; he seemed angry. I was pulling him around in front of the ‘commoners’ of the eastern kingdom; of course he was angry.

It made him seem like he was being controlled by an onna. I dropped his hand and fell back behind him as we left the market. “I’m sorry.” I whispered, my heart clenching in pain. “Why?” he asked. “For pulling you around. I didn’t realize what I was doing. It felt natural, to show my affection simply by holding your hand. I will refrain from doing so in public from now on.” I responded.

“There is no need for your sadness, Kagome.” He remarked. I nodded and straightened my back and looked ahead of me as we walked. I knew he was angry with me, even as I could feel my natural strength leaving me. I hated becoming human, even for a night. It felt horrible; all of my senses were dulled, I was weak, and my emotions reigned over me even more than they normally did.

Already I could feel tears begging to be set free. “Kagome, why are you so forlorn?” he questioned. I shook my head and continued pacing towards the west. “Kagome, you will answer me.” he ordered. “I am not one of your servants, Sessho. You will not treat me as such.” I retorted. “You are angry with me.” he replied. It wasn’t a question, more like an observation.

“No, I’m not angry with you.” I intoned. “Then what is wrong?” he asked. “I cannot show affection to my future mate. I am an onna, a hanyou onna; we have the characteristics of both youkai onna and ningen onna. We like to show our affection to our mates; in public or private does not matter. But I cannot.” I answered. “I didn’t say that.” he declared.

“You were angry with me. I saw it so don’t try to dissuade me from believing so.” I asserted. “Kagome…” he trailed off. “Do not give me your pity. I do not want it.” I muttered. “I would never pity you, Kagome. You are not one to be pitied. You must understand; I am not used to such public displays of affection. Do not be upset. I did not mean to hurt you.” He stated, pulling me closer to him.

I sighed; we needed to work on our communication. “I know, but please; the next time you feel uncomfortable or are still unaccustomed to the way I act, talk to me. Don’t shut me out.” I pleaded. “I will try. We need to be going. It will be dusk soon. I’ll not have you out in the open when you cannot defend yourself.” He commented.

I frowned slightly, but nodded and held onto him as he took us to the sky. We were covering a great distance like this; far faster than I could have run. I let myself drift into another light sleep as we continued towards the palace.

I woke suddenly, and turned my eyes to the skyline ahead of us. “It’s dusk.” I said quietly as another stabbing wave of pain swept through me. “Are you in pain” Sesshomaru asked. “It’s nothing. I’ve felt far worse than the pain of my change before.” I answered. He hugged me tighter and I felt crushing weight in my bones where his arms were.

“I’m far more fragile than I normally am, Sessho.” I pushed out, willing myself to breathe properly. His arms loosened to bare pressure immediately, and he lightly rested his chin on my shoulder. My eyesight had dulled, and I could barely hear his breath as it passed my, now human, ear. I couldn’t smell anything but what was right in front of me.

I tried to pierce my palm with my claws and came into contact with dull nails. I sighed; resigned to my night of ‘pure humanity’. “Everything will be fine, Kagome. We will be ate the castle shortly.” Sesshomaru remarked. “I hate my human night. I’m so weak. I can’t even defend myself from humans.” I whispered, frowning at the ground below us.

“You’ll be back to normal in the morning, Kagome. Until then, I will protect you.” He asserted. “What if I didn’t turn back to normal?” I queried. “What do you mean? Of course you will turn back.” he declared. “But what if I didn’t? What if my demon half was purified and I was left to live a human life?” I asked, almost worried to hear his answer.

“I won’t let that happen. Even if it did, I would share my lifespan with you. Why do you ask?” he questioned. “I was afraid… that you would turn away from me if I was a full ningen. I’m afraid of this all being some kind dream, that I’ll wake up back in the dungeon and be forced into becoming Oji Renkotsu’s mate. I can’t be tied to someone so horrible.” I muttered turning and burying myself into Sesshomaru’s chest.

“I promise you, it is not a dream. You are safe, Kagome.” He replied in my ear. I smiled slightly before trying, and failing, to stifle a yawn. “You should go back to sleep, Kagome.” He suggested. “No, I’ve slept too much. I’ll sleep… after we get to the palace. I- I need to… put everything… away.” I argued as I continued to yawn.

“Sleep, Kagome. You can put everything away before the wedding.” He asserted. I couldn’t argue anymore. I merely nodded and laid my head against his chest as my heavy eyes slid closed.

Chapter End Notes:
Here we are. Like I said, hopefully this chapter has you torn between laughing so hard you choke on a lung or wanting to kill Renkotsu; but also I hope that you like the little bit of angst I put in. There's so much that's going to happen in the next few chapters so I hope you're geared up for it. See ya.