- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It's just after three a.m. and I couldn't sleep so I figured after giving you something to tease you into frustration would give me the calming influence I need to get about four hours of sleep.

In the morning, we dressed for the day and climbed back into our carriages. We spent the last of the journey in completed silence as I toyed with my bag. I had a plan. I would send the others inside and wait outside the door before going in.

I had made adjustments to my old concealment bracelet so that no one could sense me while I was wearing it. I was going to put it on just as I felt his aura caressing my own; I pushed my bracelet on and steeled myself for the worst. We pulled up in front of the palace of the west, and everyone got out of the carriage as our arrival was announced.

I slipped out of the carriage just as Bankotsu pass the door, and hid in his shadow as he followed my family into the castle. “My Lord, the family of the east is here.” a servant called. “Let them in.” a deep voice returned. I hadn’t heard that voice in far too long. His deep baritone caressed my hidden ears as I listened to their conversation from just outside the door.

“I take Kagome has not woken considering she is not with you.” He said to my Outo-san sadly. I could hear the guilt and the pain in his voice. It was tearing at me not to go and speak with him but I had to be sure he wasn’t lying when he admitted his feelings to me. “Do you love my daughter?” my Okaa-san asked suddenly. “Yes, I do.” Was his answer.

“Then why do you not go to visit her? Why do you sit here and wallow when she needs you?” she accused. “She asked me to leave her be. Even as it haunts me, I am doing what she wished.” He answered quietly; brokenly. “She is in forever sleep! You would be the only one to wake her and allow her to live!” she shouted.

“Only to be unhappy when she is awake. She is far safer in her forever sleep.” He said. “I’ve heard enough!” I shouted as I pushed the door open and ripped the bracelet off, breaking it and sending beads flying everywhere.

“Ka- Kagome.” He whispered. Before I could blink, he was hugging me tightly to him and had buried his nose in my hair. “I thought you were in a forever sleep.” He whispered in my ear. “I nearly was. I don’t know how; but I suddenly woke up yesterday morning.” I replied.

“I thought you would never wake. I thought we had lost you.” He breathed out. “Sesshomaru, why have you not eaten?” I demanded. “I have no reason to survive.” He answered. “You still had a kingdom and you had Rin. You still have a responsibility to your lands.” I argued.

“I wish to speak with Kagome alone.” He said to my family. Silently, they left the throne room and I stood there, staring at his shoulder as he continued to hold me against him. “I am so sorry, Kagome.” He mumbled in my ear, running his hand over my hair softly.

“I’m sorry for worrying you. I didn’t mean to concern everyone. I don’t even know what caused my sleep." I confessed “It is alright, Kagome. I cannot help but worry for you. I love you, Kagome.” He whispered in my ear.

“I don’t want to be hurt again. I can’t go through that again.” I told him. “I will never try to hurt you again. It kills me to see you in pain.” He replied. “How can I trust you not to hurt me again? You pushed me away.” I mumbled.

“I don’t know how. Please do not leave.” He muttered. “I need to. I can’t stay here. I have things to do back home. I still have to train Kikyou, Inuyasha, and Shippo.” I argued. “I need you here Kagome. I can’t lose you again.” he affirmed. “You didn’t lose me. You pushed me away. I only came to convince you to live and take care of yourself and your kingdom. Rin is going to go home with my family until you are better.” I informed him.

“No. Let her stay.” He ordered. “If she stays then someone will have to stay here to watch her and make sure you improve.” I stated. “Then stay.” “I can’t. I have to be home. Now that I’m an adult in the youkai world I have no choice but to look for a mate. At least if I do I can keep pressure off of Inuyasha and Kikyou.” I claimed. “Allow me to court you.” He responded.

“How can I trust that you won’t hurt me again? I love you, but I can’t be hurt like that again. Inu don’t mate with onna that are disobedient It’s difficult for me to submit as we both know, considering how our sparring session went.” I retorted. He cringed at the reminder; making me regret bringing it up.

“I don’t care. I love you. I will never love another. I would challenge any male that tried to claim you. I refuse to lose you.” He asserted. “You are still treating me like a prize. I am not”- 

“You are not a possession. You are not a prize in some game. I know that. I have been worrying over you for a moon cycle. Everyday I’ve thought of what we said and what we did. I’ve thought of every way it could have been better; and every way it could have been worse. You must believe me when I say that if I thought I would have helped I would have come to you the day I was informed about your sleep.” He implored. “Sesshomaru”-

“Kagome. Know this. Every day that you try to walk away, will be another day I try to win your heart.” He interrupted. “You already have my heart. It has never been another’s. but I am afraid of it being broken again.” I whispered, staring intently at the floor. His arms tightened around me so much that I was now pressed as close to him as possible.

“Kagome, I cannot… I love you. I now that if you’ll allow me that I can make you feel loved and happy again.” he remarked. “Sesshomaru… I was happy before all of this. When we just simply talked; or sat together watching our siblings play. Even while we were sparring I was happy. Do you actually think that I can feel that again after all that has happened?” I asked.

“Kagome, I know that you can. You aren’t the type of person to give up. I know that if you let yourself that you can be happy again.” he replied. “I don’t know Sesshomaru.” I mumbled. “I do. Trust me as you did before.” He whispered. “Trust isn’t something that is given like a present. Trust is earned. Can you trust me, if I trust you?” I responded.

“I believe that you can ‘earn’ my trust. Kagome, will you stay and consider becoming my mate?” he asked. “I… what if I did? Then what about if something happens to my parents and I have to take over the kingdom?” I mumbled. “Then you will. You can still care for your kingdom even if you are not physically there.” He answered.

“I… I will consider it. But I can’t stay. I have things to do in the east.” I asserted. “You shop?” he asked. “Yes. I have a deal with a shop owner across from my shop in the east. I can’t just tell her that I’m leaving. I have friends in the east. My family will be there and I can’t leave Shippo alone. I can’t just stay here.” I intoned.

“Kagome, if you became my mate, Shippo would become my musuko as well. Your friends and family can always visit. And the shop owner you have a deal with can be moved her, if you wish.” He said. “B-But, I…” my voice trailed off.

“Kagome, I know you’re worried. Please, say yes.” he whispered into my hair. “I… I have to at least go back to get mine and Shippo’s belongings.” I begrudgingly responded. He squeezed me tighter and chastely placed a kiss on my cheek before finally releasing me and pulling me towards the doors.

“When you’re family returns to the east, I’ll accompany you and help you bring everything here.” he declared. He then pulled the door open and I sat that my family, Bankotsu, Myouga, and Rin had been listening to our conversation. The only ones who didn’t know what was going on were Sango and Miroku. “I’ve decided to allow Lord Sesshomaru to court me.” I told them.

Miroku gave me a knowing smile while I fought to breathe when Sango hugged me. She released me a moment later and turned to slap Miroku when he grabbed her backside. He now sported a patented Sango hand print on his cheek as a contented smile ghosted over his face. “You will cease doing that in my home.” Sesshomaru told him. Miroku quickly nodded and held his hands behind his back.

“You’ll never change Miroku. Um… we need to go home the day after tomorrow. I only have one more dress.” I told Kouga. “Alright. We’ll leave in the afternoon.” He agreed. I smiled up at him, and then turned to Sesshomaru. “Don’t think that just because we’re courting that you can dictate that I wear, who I talk to, or how I cat around other.” I asserted seriously.

“Of course not Catrina.” He replied. “I mean it, I- wait… you agreed?” I queried. “Yes, I agreed. I won’t try to control you.” He responded. I smiled at him before kissing his cheek lightly. “Now, we just need to get some food in you. When was the last time you ate?” I questioned. “I believe that Rin’s nanny forced food down my throat last night.” He answered.

“You let her?” I asked “I was unconscious.” He retorted. “Ah, I see. Well, now you can sleep correctly. We’ll not be having any more of this sleeping only when you’re unconscious.” I asserted. “You think so.” He mumbled. “I know so. Or I’ll put you to sleep. You need to be well rested.” I claimed. “You’d be better off not arguing with her, Lord Sesshomaru. Once you begin courting a woman, she becomes the alpha female. She’ll do what she thinks is best for you just as you would her. You should know well the way alpha females think.” Kouga declared.

“Huh? What does he mean?” I asked. “My mother was an alpha female. She used to treat my father like a pup at times.” He answered. My eyebrows rose and I tilted my head to the side for a moment before I pulled my curiosity under control. “It is time for lunch.” A servant called. “Right. Lunch. Let’s go.” I ordered, pulling him toward where the smell of food was coming form.

“Come along, Kouga.” I heard my mother say as she dragged my father behind her. The others shuffled behind them and Shippo made his way to my side. When we entered the large dining room, Sesshomaru sat at the head of the table, and I sat at his right with Shippo beside me, while Rin sat on his left. Inuyasha and Kikyou sat beside Shippo.

Kouga sat at the other end of the table with momma on his right and Myouga, Bankotsu, Sango, and Miroku on his left. Kikyou and momma were beside each other while Miroku and Rin were beside each other. As everyone began eating, I noticed Sesshomaru was pushing his food around on his plate more than actually eating it. So, with narrowed eyes and  a growl about to escape my throat, I moved my chair closer and took his utensil form him.

“You will eat, even if I have to feed you myself.” I told him, holding his food in front of him. When he moved to argue I pushed the food into his mouth. “It would be wise not to argue. She is as strong willed as you are.” I heard Kouga say. He sent a mock glare at me before chewing and swallowing the food. “You will not”- I cut him off by forcing another bite into his mouth.

“I will feed you as I see fit until you eat on your own. I’ll not have you die because you refuse to eat.” I asserted, holding up another bite. “Just eat, Sesshomaru. You know she won’t back down from this.” Rin advised. He sighed in resignation and took the offered bite. I smiled at him and continued to feed him. When he had finally finished his food, I moved to eat my own.

As I lifted my fork, Sesshomaru snatched it from my hand. “What are you doing?” I questioned. “I will feed you.” He stated simply. “I can feed myself just fine. Now give me back my fork. “I don’t think so. You fed me, so now I will do that same.” He answered. I sighed and allowed him to feed me, while doing my best to ignore the others around us.

Whenever I tried to argue or take my fork back, Sesshomaru would send me a glare and keep the fork just out of my reach. Finally, I was finished eating and he stopped feeding me. Everyone stood, and went their own ways. Sango and Miroku went to the library; Momma and Kouga went to see the resident healer to check on the baby; Bankotsu and Myouga went to the dojo to spar; and Sesshomaru and I went to the gardens with Kikyou, Inuyasha, Shippo, and Rin.

While we watched them, we sat under a sakura tree. As the day went on, the small smile that had been trying to peek through was wide as it could be. At one point, I had to stop an argument between Kikyou and Inuyasha, and when I sat back down; Sesshomaru pulled me into his side and wrapped his arm around my waist. After allowing myself to relax, I leaned into him and we say in silence.

A few hours before sunset, I decided I need to know a few things. “Why did you attack the heirs of the north and south?” I inquired. “They hurt and insulted you. I would not allow them to do that. I would never let you be harmed. I love you too much to allow anyone to do that to you.” He answered.

 “So you put the alliances of the kingdoms in danger?” I questioned. “A mere alliance is nothing to your well-being.” He replied. “But you could have destroyed the alliances of the four kingdoms, and everyone would be in danger. I can take care of myself.” I argued. “I know that. I cannot help wanting to protect my chosen mate.” He muttered.

“I understand. But try to remember that I will not hide behind you and expect you to fight for me. I will fight my own battles.” I asserted. “I will try to understand. But you need not worry; the princes are due here tonight so that we can speak. I knew you would not want the kingdoms to break out into war, so I invited them to come here so that I can explain myself.” he explained.

“The-they’re coming here; tonight?” I questioned. At his nod, I jumped to my feet and began pacing. “When? When are they supposed to be here? Why did you tell me? How long are they to stay?” I questioned rapidly. “They are to be here in an hour. I did not tell you because I was too relieved that you were awake and alright. They are only supposed to stay until tomorrow morning. I’d like you to be in the room with me.” he requested.

“I… how do you expect me to be in the same room with them? the both of them insulted me. If they insult me again I will not hesitate to challenge them.” I informed him. “I know that. But they must see that we are courting.” he assured. “Fine. I will be there when you speak with them. But I don’t want the kids near them. If they touch my siblings or my musuko, I will not hesitate to challenge them and tear them apart. They will not harm my family.” I asserted.

“I agree. Come, let’s get them inside; the princes are just outside the castle walls.” He told me. “Kikyou, Inuyasha, Shippo; go inside.” I ordered. “Rin will show you to the rooms you will be staying in tonight. You’ll be in the rooms surrounding hers in the family wing. Choose one to play in and stay there until we come to collect you for dinner.” He declared.

 They did as we told them as we made our way to the great hall. A small table had been set up in front of the throne at the end of the room and the princes were announced just as we sat down. When they entered the hall, I moved slightly closer to Sesshomaru. “Hello Lord Sesshomaru. It is good to- Hime Kagome. You are awake.” Oji Renkotsu exclaimed, surprised.

“Yes, I am, Oji Renkotsu.” I greeted. “Yet you came here in favor of announcing your awakening to the kingdoms.” He claimed. “Yes, I did. I needed to speak with Lord Sesshomaru.” I retorted. “You need not call me lord around them, Kagome.” Sesshomaru intoned, surprising the ojis.

“I know this Sessho. Now, did you not need to speak with the ojis?” I asked, turning to face him. “Yes, let us begin. Please, sit.” He said to the stunned ojis. The ojis sat and stared at me, seeming to be waiting for something. Finally Oji Renkotsu spoke. “Should you not be into the palace of the east, Hime Kagome?” he questioned.

“No, I am not to be in the palace of the east. Sesshomaru is courting me, and as such I am to be by his side. Once we are mated, I will only take the crown of the east if something happens to my Otou-san and my Okaa-san.” I answered him, forcing the smirk I wanted to let out away.

“You would court the Lord of the west, when you have barely spoken with him, but not I who you spoke with before?” he asked, surprised. “Yes, you fool. I knew Sesshomaru before I became the hime of the east. I would never allow someone such as you, who insulted my family, to court me. You are conceited and a child. Sesshomaru never wanted my crown. If he wanted the land of the east, he wouldn’t have to take it by schemes, like you. He has no need to prove himself like that.” I replied, barely keeping the growl that wanted to escape me as I stood to face him.

“How dare you, you insolent onna?” he uttered as he stepped closer and struck me. My eyes narrowed as I turned to face him fully. “I challenge you. For my honor and my pride.” I declared, baring my fangs at him. “I accept. When I win, you will submit to me and become my mate.” He smirked.

“No. you cannot take her as a mate if she loses the challenge. You will challenge me for the right to court her.” Sesshomaru interjected. “Sessho, you promised that you would let me fight my won battles.” I argued. “This is not your battle. I have the right, given to me by you, to court you. If he wishes to court you for the opportunity to mate you; he must defeat me.” he responded.

“This is my fight. I have made the challenge. I will win this fight on my own. Oji Renkotsu, meet me in the courtyard in two minutes, if you do not show, then you forfeit. But know this, I will win, and when I do; my prize will be your sword.” I declared, disappearing from their site.

I stood in the courtyard of the castle with my family and friends to my left. Sesshomaru stood beside them, glaring at me through the narrowed slits of his eyes with his arms crossed. When the oji arrived, just before his time was up, I spoke to my friends. “Sango, on your honor as a tajiya, will you witness this challenge and swear your truth about the winner to all?” I called.

 “I will; on my honor as a tajiya.” She called back. I nodded to her and took up a defensive stance as I faced Oji Renkotsu. Without a word, I attacked; lunging towards him with my sword and my claws. He dodged, and made to slice my arm. Quickly, I jumped back until I connected the branch of a tree. I pulled my bow from my back and quickly strung an arrow.

I waited until he moved to attack again to release the arrow. He moved to the side and my arrow barely scratched his side. “You will have to do better than that, Hime.” He called haughtily. I didn’t respond. He was trying to get me to panic. Without blinking, I hung my bow on my back and pulled my sword free again; jumping to the ground and racing towards him.

“I do not fear you. I know that I will win.” I said simply as I disarmed him and lunged. I saw the dagger he had too late, and turned so he plunged it into my forearm instead of y shoulder. I jumped back, and sheathed my sword when I saw that I wouldn’t be able to hold it. “Seems you can’t us your weapons now.” He remarked, smirking and flicking blood off of his hand.

“I still have my claws.” I declared as I jumped him. We fell to the ground, and I felt his claws make their home in my side. Making sure not to kill him, I forced my claws into his neck and dug my fangs into the flesh on his shoulder. “You will relinquish victory to me, or die. I can easily kill you Oji Renkotsu.” I pronounced in his pointed ear.

When he tried to struggle to flip us over, I inched my claws deeper in his throat. “Relinquish victory or die. Choose now, my patience with the taste of your blood is wearing thin.” I warned him. Finally, his stopped struggling and made a low whimpering sound in his chest. Slowly, I pulled my claws from his throat and pushed off of him, spitting out his blood as I stood.

Just as slowly, I made my way to his sword and picked it up. “Get a healer to fix him.” I called to no one in particular as I licked my forearm. My side was already healing closed and once I pulled the dagger from my arm; that too started healing. “Kagome what were you thinking. He could have seriously hurt you.” Sesshomaru scolded me.

“He didn’t do much damage, Sessho. Do not worry. I told you I could take care of myself.” I argued. “You will not do that again. You are not as strong as him. You only managed to beat him because he was pretentious and did not focus.” He declared. “I am not weak. Do you think I am because I’m an onna, or because I’m a hanyou?” I demanded.

 “I… I did not mean-” “I don’t care. You see? You can’t go one day without saying or doing something like this and you want me to be your mate? Leave me be for a while. I need to be alone.” I said just before I ran from the castle. I ran all the way to the spot at the river where I told him I was leaving.

 I wanted to cry, but I knew I wouldn’t be able to. I sat at the bank of the river and watched the water. I sat there until the sun set and simply stared at the running water.

Hours later, I stood to go back to the castle. I knew I had snapped too easily and I wanted to apologize. I knew he hadn’t meant that I was weak; he was simply worried for me. I heard a rustle of leaves behind me and turned to see Oji Renkotsu just before I felt something strike my temple and everything went black.

Chapter End Notes:

Dun dun dun..... Bet you didn't see that coming did you? There's more to come from Renkotsu soon. Hopefully the next chapter will have you torn between wanting to kill him and wanting to laugh so hard you cough up a lung at his sheer and utter stupidity. Anyway, please review and tell me what you think if you can and I guess..... See ya.