- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

And so the beginning of Princess Kagome begins. So much will be stemming from this chapter so pay attention.

The next morning, I plucked plenty of fish from the pond, cooked them, and everyone ate. I watched them silently and when everyone had finished eating I set the children on the wagon and we set out again. “Kagome, what happened?” my Okaa-san asked.

I shook my head and continued dragging the wagon behind me. “Kagome answer your Okaa-san.” Kouga ordered me. “No! I learned my lesson; now let me be! I do not wish to speak of it!” I yelled. I was angry and hurt, and I didn’t want them to give me a more difficult time for my idiocy in falling for him. I continued to look straight ahead and pull the wagon behind me.

When we reached the castle, the wagon was taken to the front and our things were carried inside by some guards that I used to train with. “Hey guys.” I said, forcing a smile to my face. They smiled back at me and carried everything inside behind Kouga. Kouga led us to the family wing of the castle and began to show us to rooms he wanted to give us.

Momma, obviously, moved into his room. Kikyou was down two doors and across the hall from there. Inuyasha was in a room beside Kikyou. Shippo was in the room next to Inuyasha. I was put in the room that connected with Shippo’s. Miroku and Sango were put into the room beside mine. I smiled at Myouga and Bankotsu as they carried my things into the room and set them beside the bed.

“Make sure you don’t forget to let us know if you want to train later, Kagome.” Bankotsu smiled at me. “I will. Thank you, Bankotsu. I could use the exercise.” I smiled at him, barely having to force it this time. I began to organize my clothes in the closet; then rested my bow, quiver, and sword against the overly-large bed before I collapsed on top of it.

Tears gathered in my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. I would not cry. I had said my piece. He was the one with the problem. He was the one who couldn’t love me. I was the one who had fallen in love with him, knowing that he hated people like me and had killed many like me. I had been a fool; and now I was paying the price.

I sighed, knowing that soon someone would come looking for me, and left my new room. “Sango, would you like to come with me to the dojo. I’m meeting Myouga and Bankotsu there to spar and I was wondering if you’d like to team up with me against them.” I called through the door.

Miroku, I knew, had left for the library while I was organizing the room. When she exited the room in her tajiya clothes I knew that she agreed. I smiled, barely forcing myself, looped my arm through hers, and led her to the dojo.

When we arrived, I found Myouga and Bankotsu stretching and smiled completely. “You two ready to be beat to a pulp?” I called over. “You wish.” Bankotsu postured. “You weren’t able to beat me when I was ten. You most definitely won’t be able to beat me now. We’re sparing in teams. Sango and I against you and Myouga.” I replied, smiling when they stiffened.

“Don’t worry. We won’t beat you too badly.” Sango shouted, smiling. I smiled at her and we stretched shortly before meeting the two in the middle of the room. Myouga and Sango moved off to the side of the mat while Bankotsu and I bowed and moved into positions. At first we barely glanced blows off of shoulders or arms, but after a while we began to make contact and it became a little more intense.

Then, I tackled him to the floor. Within a second, he flipped us over and pinned me to the mat. He moved my hands above my head and held them there with one of his. This far too much resembled my sparring match with Sesshomaru and I screamed before roughly pushing him off of me and jumping to my feet.

I quickly ran to the other side of the dojo and forced my back against the wall; trying to remember how to breathe properly. “Kagome, are you alright?” I heard Sango call. “Too much like Se- Ses- Sesshomaru… too much like…. Like when I sparred with him. I don’t want to remember.” I whispered when she was kneeling in front of me.

 “It’s going to be alright. Let’s go find your Okaa-san and Lord Kouga.” She suggested. I nodded numbly and let her pull me to my feet. Myouga and Bankotsu followed silently behind us as we made our way through the maze like halls to the great hall where everyone seemed to be gathering.

Kouga had us stand behind and to the right of him and momma as he called silence in the hall. “I have three announcements. One: the kingdom is now hanyou friendly. We will house any hanyou that wishes to live here and they will be allowed to show their blood status freely without being judged or exiled to China. They will not be executed because of their half ningen and half youkai blood. Two: I am to be married soon. My bride is here beside me; Kaede. And finally, third: I am adopting her children as my own. You will have two hime: Kikyou and Kagome; and an oji: Inuyasha.” He called out.

I gasped; I hadn’t expected him to announce that to the kingdom. But after he said that the kingdom would be hanyou friendly, I had an idea. I pulled my bracelet from my wrist and stood tall as the gasps from the crowd registered in my now visible, ebony neko ears.

 “My name is Kagome. It would be my honor to be a hime of this great country. I hope to know many of you in the future.” I spoke aloud. Kikyou pulled her bracelet off and repeated my small speech, then stepped back beside me. Inuyasha and Momma did the same, and we stood proudly behind Kouga.

We stood there for a few moments before Kouga called for the gathering to disperse. When he turned back to me, he was smiling, although I could see he was worried in his eyes. “Kagome, I thought you were sparring with Myouga and Bankotsu.” He said.

“I was… but then…” I let my voice trail off and fell silent, before staring down at my feet. “She was reminded of when she sparred with…. him. She’s been like this since.” Sango told him quietly. “Thank you, Sango. Take her to her room.” He suggested. She agreed, looped her arm in mine, and then pulled me towards my room.

When we entered, I collapsed on my bed and buried my face in the multitude of pillows. I breathed in deeply and allowed my body to relax slightly. “Kagome, will you tell me what happened?” she requested quietly. I sighed, sat up, and sat back against the headboard of the bed before speaking.

“He accused me of lying to Rin. He called us ‘half-lings’. He was so angry with me. He- he hates me. I love him and he hates me. He probably wants to kill me. I am a fool in love with someone who hates me so much he wishes to kill me.” I whispered out. Sango hugged me from my side and I leaned into her.

“I was so stupid.” “You are not stupid.” She retorted. I didn’t argue with her. I didn’t have the strength. “I think I’m going to sleep now.” I said quietly. She nodded and left the room silently I lay on the bed for only a few minutes before I fell into a restless sleep.

When I woke, I found that Kouga had officially adopted Kikyou and Inuyasha. When I went into the great hall in a kimono I had found lying at the foot of my bed, I found everyone dressed up and Shippo standing near the thrones with Kouga. “What is going on?” I asked. “Kagome, do you take responsibility for Shippo as your own? Do you wish to care for him as a mother would her son?” he asked.

I was dumb founded. “Y- Yes. I accept him as my own.” I said clearly. “It is my pleasure to announce Shippo as the son of Kagome, hime of the eastern kingdom.” He said proudly. I smiled brightly at him and hugged Shippo tightly to my side. I placed a soft kiss on his head then hugged Kouga.

“Thank you… Outo-san.” I whispered. I had never had a dad. The word just rolled out of me. He hugged my back then had me move in front of him. “I, Kouga, Lord of the eastern kingdom; take responsibility for you, Kagome, as a father would his daughter.” He muttered. A few tears came to my eyes, but I quickly wiped them away and smiled.

I hugged momma, Kikyou, and Inuyasha before pulling Shippo into another hug. “My sweet musuko.” I whispered. “I love you momma.” he said in my ear. “I love you too, Shippo. Come on, let’s get you to bed. Tomorrow morning you are going to start being educated like I was.” I told him. “Kikyou and Inuyasha are as well. They’ll have the same tutors you did Kagome.” Kouga told me.

“No! Not those two! They were horrible!” I shouted. “What are you talking about? They taught you well.” Momma argued. “Yes, they taught me well. But they were horrible to me. The only reason I didn’t tell you then was because they stopped any time you were around or whenever I threatened to tell you.” I confessed.

“Alright. I’ll find new tutors for them. They’ll start tomorrow afternoon. In the morning everyone will be getting kimonos and suits for the wedding. We will be marrying at noon tomorrow.” He informed me. I smiled, but it fell quickly. “Do I have to wear a kimono?” I asked. “Yes, but if you want, you can make a few modifications to it.” Momma told me.

I smiled again, picked Shippo up, and placed him on my hip. “Time for bed you.” I declared, making my way to the family wing. I got Shippo ready for bed, kissed his forehead, and then went into my own room. After getting ready for bed, I climbed under the covers and forced myself to relax. Within moments, I fell into a peace-less sleep.

Chapter End Notes:
So you know Myouga is naturally a tiny flea... but he's about as tall as Bankotsu for this story. And Banksotsu is not a bad guy or a mercenary.