- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Right.... training begins for the kids and we have some four on one time for Kagome and the kids. Hope you like this and the little conversation between Sesshomaru and Kagome near the end.

 

               “Kikyou, Inuyasha, it’s time to go.” I called as we entered the house. The twins ran out of their rooms dressed for the day with their katanas tied to their sides. I kneeled down to hug them then turned to introduce them to Shippo. “Shippo, this is my nee-chan, Kikyou; and my onee-chan, Inuyasha. Kikyou, Inuyasha, this is Shippo; I adopted him as my musuko.” I told them, knowing my Okaa-san could hear me.

                When she didn’t come out of her room and object, I decided it was time to leave. Kikyou climbed on my back, but instead of Inuyasha joining her, he climbed on Shippo’s back. I smiled at my onee-chan and my musuko. It’s amazing I already think of him as my son, but I wouldn’t change it for the world.  

               After Kikyou and Inuyasha were comfortable we made our way to the clearing I had set up years ago as a training ground for us. Setting Kikyou down on one of the logs used as a seat, I looked around the lush green clearing to make sure everything was in order. “Right. Do you remember what I taught you last time?” I asked the twins.

              They nodded and unsheathed their katanas as I pulled my bow from my back. “Shippo, Kikyou and Inuyasha are going to show you some moves that I taught them. Okay?” I asked. Shippo nodded and unsheathed his katana. After the three began, I made my way across the clearing to where I had a shooting range set up.

              I pulled an arrow from the quiver on my back and aimed it at the target. As the twins’ katanas crashed together, I released the arrow. Moments later, my arrow hit the center of the mark. Smiling, I jumped back and released another arrow before I landed at the base of a tree fifty feet from my original spot.

              I released one more arrow before going to retrieve them. As I pulled them from the mark, I heard the distinctive sound of metal through flesh. When I turned, I saw a man with a cut running down his arm, and a woman shaking her head a few feet behind him. They were easy to recognize. Long black hair; brown eyes; tajiya armor; and the scent of roses and ocean water; I knew it was Sango.

             Which meant the man with short black hair; violet eyes; baggy purple clothes; and the scent of cedar and mountain springs was Miroku. “Sango! Miroku! It’s so good to see you!” I shouted, hurrying over to hug them. “So, whose sword has your blood on it?” I asked Miroku, smiling wider when he motioned to Kikyou.

              “Alright. Go sit down and I’ll patch you up. The three of you, go relax in the shade for a while.” I told the children. They nodded and followed Sango and I to where Miroku say. As I kneeled in front of him, I decided to scare him a little. “Miroku, you might lose your arm.” I told him, doing my best not to laugh when fear mingled with his scent.

               “I’m joking. Calm down.” I laughed. Grabbing the bottom of the shirt he wore, I ripped a good sized piece off. “Kagome, why did you do that?” he practically whined. “Well, I need something to wrap around your arm until we return to the shop. I won’t be going back for a few hours, so you can always go home and ask momma to fix you up.” I suggested.

              “I think that’s what we’ll do. Should we meet you at the shop?” Sango asked. I nodded and watched as they left. A moment later, I felt Lord Sesshomaru’s aura crashing against my own. “Inuyasha, Kikyou, Shippo; put your weapons away.” I ordered them as I felt him about to enter the clearing. I bowed to him before kneeling to eye level with the Hime.

               I chuckled as she rubbed her tired eyes with a small fist. “Good morning, Hime Rin.” I told her, smiling as she turned her attention to the children. As she made her way to them, I stood and made my way past Lord Sesshomaru to straight across from my archery target. I pulled my gloves on and quickly strung an arrow.

              “What are you doing?” Lord Sesshomaru asked. “I am practicing, my Lord. I only get the chance to practice every other day and even then I don’t often get the chance to work on my own skills.” I explained. I deftly pulled another arrow from behind me, but spun to face Lord Sesshomaru after he grabbed it from my hand.

              He was studying the carvings and comparing it to my bow. “My Lord, may I have my arrow back?” I requested. Suddenly, he snatched the bow from my hand and compared the carvings on it to the carvings on the arrow. “My Lord, is there a reason you took my arrow and my bow?” I demanded testily. I didn’t care if it offended him; I was tired of his attitude towards me.

             The glare he sent me was almost playful; and I had to force myself not to gasp. I didn’t want to lose my glimpse of his emotionless mask falling. “Who forged these?” He questioned. “I did.” I answered. “When?” he asked. “Yesterday, after I returned to my shop from your palace.” I told him. I didn’t know why I was telling him all of this.

             He didn’t need to know my weakness, but I felt safe telling him these things. “Why?” he queried. “I- I make new weapons when I’m upset. I made those to work through the anger I felt from what you said to me.” I answered truthfully. What am I doing?! He could kill me! I screamed in my mind. Yet, his eyes seemed to soften.

             I flinched when his hand that held my bow lifted, faintly expecting a blow across my cheek. “I will not strike you. Rin cares for you too much and if I were to strike you she would nag me until you were healed. I prefer not to upset my nee-chan.” He replied. “Thank you, my Lord. May I have my weapons back?” I asked, holding out my hands.

             As soon as I had them, I turned swiftly to the sound of rustling bushed behind me. A moment before whoever it was exited the tree line; I smelled roses and ocean water. I lowered my bow and put the arrow back into my quiver. I was placing my bow on my back when Sango wandered to me. “Kagome, do you still have my weapon at the shop?” she asked.

             “Of course. It’s hung on the wall above my tools. I told you I would take care of it.” I retorted. At Sango’s smile, I passed her my key. “Here. Watch over the shop for me until I get back. And keep Miroku away from my tools.” I instructed her. She nodded and left the way she came. “Why would you give a ningen access to your shop?” Lord Sesshomaru asked.

             “Because it doesn’t matter if she’s a ningen or a youkai; either way she is still Sango. She is my friend because of who she is, not what she is. I trust Sango. She is as much my nee-chan as Kikyou.” I answered. “Why a ningen?” he asked. “I don’t really notice her blood status. It doesn’t matter to me that she’s ningen. She’s my shin’yu.” I told him, matter-of-factly.

            I pulled my arrow from the mark and placed my gloves in my pocket as I let him think over what I had told him. After setting my bow and quiver against a log, I sat to watch the children and listen to the couples in the village and market. Even though he couldn’t see it, my ear twitched when Lord Sesshomaru sat beside me.

           “How can you have such tolerance for ningen?” he asked. “How can you hate ningen and hanyou so much?” I retorted. I knew I shouldn’t have said that. I knew I had no right to question the Lord. But I wanted –needed- to know why he hated ningen, and hanyou –like me-. “Deep in my heart there is pain and darkness.

             I used to adore watching couples of all ages be happy. But betrayal and pain can turn even the happiest person cold. That is why I hunt hanyou; the onna that destroyed my heart was a hanyou who left me for a ningen. Hanyou are not capable of feeling as youkai or even ningen.” Lord Sesshomaru sighed and I decided to have my say in the matter.

             “That’s not true. A full blood can be just as cold as the onna who hurt you.” I replied. I was about to have to lie to him again, and I was glad that the charm on my wrist prevented him from knowing the truth, for now. “I knew a hanyou that fell in love, and lied to her love to stay alive. She would have told him instantly she was not a full blood if she hadn’t feared his rejection. Do you know what my Okaa-san told her?"

             "‘Stay away from him; he is cold and kills all hanyou that pass him. If he loves you, he will search for you; and when he finds out, he should no longer care for the potency of your blood.’” with that, I left him to think over what I had said. As I slipped into the children’s game of tag, I could fell Lord Sesshomaru’s eyes on me.

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you liked this. I'm pretty sure the next chapter and the ones that follow it will give you some extra amusement. See ya.