- Text Size +
Story Notes:
If you review and let me know if you like the story, chapter 2 will roll out much quicker.
A small child ran through the woods as fast as he could, trying to escape his pursuers. Screams and threats to ‘get back here’ fell on deaf ears. All the child could hear was his own heavy breathing. He panicked as he tripped over a root. Something wrapped around his leg and he screamed.

“Got you, Inuyasha!” A small boy with purple eyes and short black hair pulled back to the nape of his neck shouted.

“Aw, come on, Miroku! That’s not fair, I fell!” Dog ears perched upon a full head of shiny, silver hair drooped and amber eyes dampened.

“I didn’t put the tree there for you to trip on, Inuyasha. It’s fair. Don’t be such a sore loser!” Miroku stuck his tongue out at the hanyou. A whistle blew signaling that playtime was over and that the children needed to head back to their respective classrooms. Miroku and Inuyasha were joined by a girl with her hair in a high ponytail wearing a green and pink dress.

“Kohaku says hi, guys!” she said in a sing-song voice.

“Sango, did your mom pack you cookies for lunch again?” Inuyasha asked her. Before she could reply, the classroom doors were opened once more and a man in a black suit entered the room followed by a small girl in tattered clothing. The man spoke to the teacher in hushed tones before leaving the room.

“Class, this is Kagome, from the Kyoto orphanage. She’ll be joining us from now on, so please make her feel welcome. Can you all say hello?” The teacher addressed the room full of seven-year-olds all too cheerfully. No one spoke. The teacher opened her mouth to scold the class when a voice piped up from the back of the room.

“Hi, Kagome! You can sit with me! We’re about to eat. We can share my bento box!”

“Thank you, Kikyo. Kagome, go on back there. Don’t be nervous.” The little girl with long raven hair and a dirty grey dress nodded shyly and took her place next to the girl that the teacher called Kikyo and the class went back to eating.

“So, Kagome, what do you like to do?” Kikyo asked. Kagome just shrugged and picked at the rice Kikyo gave her. “Well, I like to color. Do you want to see what I colored for my mommy?” Kagome silently nodded her head. Kikyo showed Kagome a picture she drew of her and her mother holding hands.

“It’s…um…pretty.” Kagome muttered quietly.

“Thanks! Hey, do you want to have a sleepover? My mommy should be here soon! I can ask!” Before Kagome could open her mouth, Kikyo’s mother came through the door to pick up her daughter. “Mommy, can Kagome come over?!”
Kikyo’s mother looked at the teacher expectantly. “I don’t recall a ‘Kagome’ on the role…?”

“She’s just joined the class today, ma’am. She’s an orphan from the Kyoto orphanage.” Kikyo’s mother scanned the room until her eye’s landed on the malnourished girl in the back of the room.

“Kagome? Can you come speak to me?” Kagome nodded and Kikyo’s mother led her out into the hall. After all of the other kids had been picked up, Kikyo’s mother came back into the room. “Miss Hirumi? How was Kagome getting home?”

“I was about to take her as soon as everyone left.” The teacher answered.

“There’s no need, I’ll take her.” Kikyo’s mother was confident.

“Ok…but why, Mrs. Kaede?”

“Because. I’m going to adopt her.”
Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know if you like it!