- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I do not own any of the Inuyasha characters whatsoever!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone had settled in for the night, and they all started to fall asleep. Kagome was woken by Kilala, and Kagome petted her gratefully.

That was close. I could have slept right through the time I needed to leave if Kilala hadn't woken me up.

Kagome queitly sat up, and saw Miroku, Shippo, and even Inuyasha asleep.

As quietly as she could, she grabbed her bow and arrows and walked outside, with Kilala following. To be safe, they walked a little ways before Kilala transformed, careful not to wake Inuyasha.

"Alright Kilala," Kagome whispered, climbing onto her back. "Lets go."

Kilala flew into the sky, and they sailed off to the west, climbing in height so Inuyasha couldn't track their scents.

Kagome looked back to make sure no one had woken up, and she sighed with relief when Inuyasha didn't appear. "Good job Kilala." Kagome replied, her voice backShe pet Kilala's muzzle, and Kilala purred with delight. "Thanks for coming with me, I bet it was hard to leave Sango's side."

Kilala meowed quietly in reassurance, and Kagome smiled gratefully.

Kilala sped up, and they sailed through the clouds, the moon shining brightly.

-----------------------------------

Inuyasha woke, and he blinked his sleep away, stretching. Miroku and Sango were already gone, probably in the village looking for details on the last shard.

Good, He thought. That's what we should really be doing. He stood, and he turned his head to make sure Kagome was asleep and well.

"Huh?" Kagome wasn't there. Where's Kagome? Inuyasha walked outside, looking around. Did she go with the others? He pushed off the ground, jumping through the air, looking for them.

-----------------------------------

Miroku sighed. "Oh brother, how are we going to tell Inuyasha?"

Sango sighed aswell. They were in the headmaster's home, hearing a rumor that he witnessed something including the shard. But they talk with the Headmaster and it turns out it was just a rumor. "He'll kill us for sure for letting us let Kagome leave."

Shippo shivered, afraid of what Inuyasha would do to him. He only found out this morning, when he went with Miroku and Sango to the man's house.

Miroku and Sango looked at each other in a nervous silence.

"Shall we make a run for it?" Miroku suddenly suggested.

Sango gave a stiff nod and they stood, and started to walk quickly to the door, and then outside, and they passed the gate to the home.

Inuyasha appeared suddenly, and Sango and Miroku jumped back with guilty surprise. Shippo fell completely off Miroku's shoulder, and scootched back in fear.

"Where's Kagome?" He asked, looking at them with a neutral expression.

Miroku, Sango, and Shippo all glanced at each other, guilty.

"She's... gone?" Shippo nervously replied, taking a scared step back.

"What do you mean she's gone?" Inuyasha yelled?

-----------------------------------------

"What?!" Inuyasha yelled, jumping up. "You let her go to that stupid priestess training thing?!"

Miroku and Sango were sitting on the ground, and they looked up at him.

"Kagome wants to get as strong as possible, and she thought this was a good opportunity to train and to get stronger." Sango replied, standing.

"Sango is telling the truth," Miroku replied, also standing. Shippo was on his shoulder, silent. "She took Kilala and said she'd be back as soon as possible."

Inuyasha growled. "How could you just let her go like that? What if she gets in trouble or captured by Naraku? Or-"

"Inuyasha!" Miroku yelled. Inuyasha stopped, but scowled and looked at him. "Kagome will be fine. I wouldn't have let her go if I didn't think she wouldn't be safe with Kilala."

Inuyasha growled. "Is this all because I told her she can't take care of herself? I didn't really mean it.." He turned away, and ran in the direction of the hut, hoping to catch her scent somewhere. Did she leave because of what I told her?

-------------------------------------------------

Kagome and Kilala had stopped for the day at a village, and Kagome fed her some treats she had grabbed out of her bag before she left. Kilala mewed happily and transformed back into a small cat, and ate them happily.

Kagome wiped the back of her hand across her forehead, and sighed. "Let's find a place to stay for the night, what do you say Kilala?"

Kilala mewed again and hopped onto her shoulder, and Kagome looked around. A villager was walking past her, and she put a hand on their shoulder. "Excuse me," Kagome said, looked over their shoulder.

The old woman turned towards her with a friendly smile. "Yes young lady, how can I help you?"

Kagome smiled sadly. "Do you know a place where I can stay for the night?"

The old lady nodded. "You could stay with me and my husband. We haven't had company in a long time."

Kagome bowed. "Thank you."

The old lady smiled. "This way, child."

She led Kagome through the village, and to her home. She lived a little ways away from the rest of the houses, and her home rested on a hill. Flowers bloomed all over the place, and it made the area smell sweet.

"You're house is beautiful." Kagome complemented, looking around in wonder.

The old lady laughed. "Thank you dearie. It's my favorite thing to do; take care of these flowers here."

Kagome smiled as they entered her hut, and the old lady started to grab wood to make a fire for light.

Kagome walked over. "Here, let me do it for you." Kagome replied, grabbing the wood from her hands.

"Thank you, child." The old lady replied.

"It's no trouble." Kagome replied, smiling as she rested the firewood on the pit.

There was a moment of silence. The old lady looked down at Kagome gratefully. "You never told me your name, sweetheart."

Kagome stopped suddenly in surprise, but smiled and continued. "My name is Kagome."

The old lady smiled. "What a strange name. Kagome..."

Kagome laughed softly. "Yeah, I get that a lot."

"It's a very pretty name, Kagome."

Kagome stood, finishing up. "Thank you. And thanks for letting me stay here, um..."

"My name is Sana."

Kagome smiled. "Thank you for letting me stay here, Lady Sana."

Sana smiled. "You're very welcome. My husband should be here soon.. Are you hungry? You look like you've traveled a long way today." She looked down at Kilala, who had appeared at Kagome's feet. "Now who's this adorible little cat?"

"This is Kilala. She comming with me on my trip." Kagome replied cheerfully.

Kilala mewed cutely.

Old lady Sana chuckled deeply. "I used to know a two-tail in my day. I know this great recipe they can eat. They love it, it's their favorite."

"Really?" Kagome widened her eyes in happy surprise. "That be great, thank you!"

---------------------------------------

Inuyasha growled. "Damn it!" He punched a tree.

I can't track Kagome's scent no matter how hard I try. It's like her scent disappeared or evaporated. He looked up at the sky. Which is strange. A scent just doesn't disappear like that. Inuyasha jumped through the trees, from branch to branch. Kagome...

----------------------------------------

"That was delicious, thanks so much!" Kagome replied, handing Sana her bowl. Kilala was finishing up her bowl.

Kagome looked down at Kilala. "Did you like it Kilala?"

Kilala mewed happily, and curled up into a ball next to Kagome. Kagome put a hand on Kilala, and started to pet her softly.

"I'm glad you to enjoyed it!" Sana exclaimed happily.

"Sana? Who's this?"

Kagome and Sana looked up at the door, and an old man was in the doorway.

"She's a traveler. She needed a place to stay, so I offered." Sana replied happily.

Th old man walked in. "It's nice to have some company again."

Kagome nodded. "It's nice to meet you."

The old man nodded. "It's nice to meet you too. My name is Kentaro."

"This is Kagome. She's traveling with a two-tailed friend named Kilala." Sana explained, gestering to Kilala.

"Why isn't that a fine specimen?" The old man croaked, petting Kilala on the head. She mewed.

"So, this village seems very peaceful," Kagome replied.

Sana and Kentaro sobered.

"Actually we are in terrible peril."

"What do you mean?" Kagome asked.

Kentaro looked sadly at her. "A demon has been ruling this village for awhile now."

Kagome gasped with surprise, and Kilala pricked her ears up to listen.

"Every month, it asks for a sacrifice. We decided to sacrifice the old, because we need the yound and strong, and the children." Sana replied.

"That's terrible."

Kentaro had tears in his old eyes. "The sacrifices go down the line, one after the other." He took Sana's hand.

Kagome understood. "No! They can't sacrifice you, Sana!"

Sana sighed. "If it means protecting the village for awhile longer, I will sacrafice myself todo so."

"There has to be another way!" Kagome replied, standing up.

"The only other way is to kill it," Kentaro whispered sadly. "And none of us is strong enough."

"I'll help." Kagome replied, and they looked at her in surprise. "I'm a priestess. I can take it down." Kagome clutched her bow tightly.

"Can you really do so?" Sana asked, hope in her voice.

Kagome nodded. "When are you supposed to be sacrificed?"

"Sana is supposed to be given to the demon tomorrow evening," Kentaro croaked.

Kagome nodded again, and looked down at Kilala who was standing up. "Did you catch that, Kilala?"

Kilala meowed defiantly.