- Text Size +
 

9

 

 

Sesshoumaru walked down the hallway to his bedroom with a slow gait.  One of these days he was going to get a place of his own, but with his father gone so much on business trips, Sesshoumaru was left to the grudging task of keep watch over Inuyasha during the week.  For now, he would have to deal with being housed within the same confines as his younger, obnoxious brother.  And speak of the devil...

 

"Oi, Sesshoumaru!" Inuyasha yelled down the hall.  His hair was mussed, obviously due to the fact that he just got out of bed, and his eyes were half closed.

 

Sesshoumaru sighed inaudibly before answering.  "What is it?"

 

"Where you been all night?  Dad's gonna be mad when I tell him you weren't here," Inuyasha said with an evil grin.

 

"I've been nowhere of consequence, and as for speaking to father, please do.  Then maybe he'll allow me to move."  Sesshoumaru continued on to his bedroom, being sure to take an over-exaggerated whiff of Inuyasha as he passed by.  "You need a shower," he told him.

 

Inuyasha scratched his head a little and then the back of his neck.  "Hey, uh, Sesshoumaru?"

 

Sesshoumaru stopped just before entering his room but did not turn around.  He waited for Inuyasha to continue, but when the fool didn't get the hint Sesshoumaru looked over his shoulder with a raised brow.  Inuyasha took a deep breath and released it; maybe Sesshoumaru wouldn't kill him for butting into his business.  "Look, um...Kagome went home today because she wasn't feeling well."

 

"Of that I am aware," Sesshoumaru said dryly.

 

"Oh.  Well, Sango said it was because she thought Kagome was having guy troubles.  You...you wouldn't know anything about it would you?" Inuyasha said as he fidgeted near his bedroom door.

 

Sesshoumaru remained still near his own bedroom door, hand on the doorknob.  Could he be the reason she went home, or was it because of that stupid wolf?  Just thinking of Kouga and Kagome's date made him angry; perhaps Kouga had turned her down for another date?  "Why do you not ask the wolf what is wrong with her?  Surely he would know more than I on this matter; he did go out with her, did he not?"

 

"Yeah, but he said nothin' happened," Inuyasha told him while he shrugged.

 

Sesshoumaru took the new information and stored it for later, but as of right now, he wanted nothing more than to fall into his bed and sleep.  "Go to bed Inuyasha."  Sesshoumaru then walked into his room, shutting himself off from the world.  Inuyasha scowled at the closed door before muttering an ‘asshole' and then making his way back to bed.

 

 

****

 

 

Kagome slammed her plate down on the kitchen table and plopped down in her chair, huffing about hypocrites and stupid men.  Her family watched on as she shoved her breakfast into her mouth with little manners, all but inhaling her food.

 

"Would you like a shovel?" Souta asked Kagome.  This earned him a smack on the head by their mom.  Kagome looked up and glared at Souta, but put her chopsticks down and picked up her plate to place it in the sink.  She stomped off to her room to get ready for school, all the while continuing her mumbling.

 

Kagome quickly dressed and headed out the door.  Her mind was swirling with the events of last night and she walked a little faster to school than was necessary.  Her face was set in a perpetual frown and she subconsciously cracked her knuckles whenever she thought of Kagura in the back seat of her car with Sesshoumaru.  Kagome suppressed a shudder that threatened to make it way over her.  Someone had some explaining to do!

 

When she arrived at the school, she noticed that she was a bit early and took the time to calm down some.  The last thing she needed was to start a fight with Kagura, at school anyways, because she would only end up being suspended.

 

‘Even if the backstabber deserves it,' Kagome thought maliciously.  She growled a very human, yet very threatening, growl deep in her throat and shoved her backpack into her locker while grabbing the books she would need for her first class.  The students were all starting to come in now and the halls were soon filled.  Kagome watched with loathing in her eyes as Kagura sauntered into the hallway as if nothing had happened the night before.  But Kagome wasn't fooled. 

 

Kagura saw Kagome out of the corner of her eye glaring at her.  She raised an eyebrow in confusion, but proceeded down the hallway to her own locker.  Kagome never took her eyes off of Kagura and that is how Sango found her.

 

A tap on her shoulder brought Kagome out of the death glare.  "What's up with you?  Are you feeling okay?" Sango asked Kagome while looking at her with concern.

 

Kagome shook her head and rubbed her eyes with her hand.  "Nothing, I'm fine," she spat out more harshly than she meant to.  At the look on Sango's face, she rectified herself.  "Sorry Sango, I'm just having a bad day."

 

"It's okay.  Do you want to talk about it?" Sango asked calmly.

 

Kagome shook her head.  "Maybe later; right now I just want to be alone."  Sango nodded and then gave her friend a gentle hug before walking away.  Kagome sighed and then finally closed her locker to go to class.  When she turned around the first thing she saw was the reason for her torment. 

 

Sesshoumaru stood across the hallway staring at her, somehow managing to be invisible to the other people in the hallway.  He looked at her with something akin to shame, and it was all the confession she needed from him.  Kagome straightened up a bit and then turned away from him to go to class.; she didn't want to be late.

 

 

****

 

 

By the time lunch rolled around, Kagome's mood had taken a turn for the worse.  Five classes had done nothing to calm her anger; instead it gave her even more time to reflect on everything.  The result was a pissed off, scorned woman.  And, as the saying goes, ‘Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned'.  The group all sat in relative silence, stealing glances at Kagome every now and then.  Miroku played with the collar of his shirt in an attempt to loosen it; Kagome was even making him uncomfortable, and he liked it when women were angry, it made them look sinfully good in his eyes.

 

Ayame looked pointedly at Sango in silent question and Sango merely shrugged.  She didn't know what exactly was wrong with Kagome either.  Inuyasha crossed his arms and huffed.  This lunch was boring and if someone didn't start talking he was going to leave.  Kikyo cleared her throat and everyone looked expectantly at her.

 

"Has anyone seen Naraku today?  He's at school, but he didn't even wait to talk to me after class like he usually does," Kikyo asked them breaking the uncomfortable silence.  Everyone simultaneously shook their heads in the negative.  No one had talked to him today which was highly unusual because he was always very social when it came to them.

 

"Yo," a deep feminine voice sounded from behind them.  Kagura walked over to the lunch table and sat down gracefully.  Kagome narrowed her eyes at the female and clenched her fists so tightly that her knuckles turned white.  Kagura dared to come over here and sit near her after what she did?!  How stupid could one person be?!  What if Kagura didn't see her as a threat?  That boiled Kagome's blood even more so and she pursed her lips tight to restrain herself from flying over the table.

 

"Hey Kagura," Ayame greeted.  "You haven't seen Naraku around have you?"

 

Kagura sat up a little straighter in her chair and tilted her nose up in the air.  "No, I haven't and good riddance," she said while trying to hide a pout.  She looked over the group and finally noticed Kagome giving her a look that would have killed her twice over if in fact looks could kill.  Kagura furrowed her brows in confusion at Kagome's actions, but then it dawned on her that Kagome must know something.

 

‘Perhaps she knows that Kouga and I set her and Sesshoumaru up that night to break them up?' she thought to herself.  It seemed the most logical explanation for Kagome's sudden hostility towards her.  However, Kagura wouldn't voluntarily offer herself to the wolves- so to speak- she would wait for Kagome to confront her.

 

Lunch went on and Kagura shifted uncomfortably in her seat.  She had felt Kagome's eyes on her the entire time and it was starting to wear on her nerves.  The girl had gall that was for sure; she had never been at the receiving end of a girls death glare, she was always the one giving them out.  Finally, after dealing with Kagome's constant glower Kagura had officially had enough.

 

"What?!" Kagura snapped at Kagome.  Everyone's heads snapped up at the sudden outburst to look at Kagura.  They followed her gaze to Kagome who looked like she was about to explode with rage.

 

"I thought you were my friend Kagura; now I know for sure you're just a backstabber!" Kagome said in a raised voice.  Everyone's faces turned towards Kagura, waiting for her reaction.

 

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Kagura defended herself.  "You've been giving me the look of death all through lunch; if you have something to say then say it already!"

 

Once again all heads turned to look at Kagome, awaiting her comeback.  "You have no idea what I'm talking about?" Kagome asked incredulously.  At Kagura's shrug Kagome continued, "Just where were you last night after school Kagura?"  All eyes turned towards the girl in question.  It was like watching a tennis match...only better.

 

Kagura remained silent as she thought over Kagome's question.  She thought for sure she'd bring up the night Kagome sent her to talk to Sesshoumaru, but instead she asked about last night.  ‘Hm, last night...last ni-ah so that's what she means.  The little voyeur heard me. '   A bright light shined in Kagura's eyes at the wonderful opportunity to drive the wedge further between Sesshoumaru and Kagome and she forced herself not to smile.

 

"I do believe that is my own business," Kagura said slyly.  "I'm sure even you can put two and two together."

 

"You BITCH!" Kagome growled out loudly, surprising the occupants at the table.  That fierce noise came from their little Kagome?  "I trusted you, gave you my friendship, and this is how you repay me?!"

 

Kagura stood up now to become more threatening.  This little girl would be taught a lesson: no one raised their voice to her!  "Not look here you little-"

 

"What the hell is going on here?!" Inuyasha yelled trying to break up the oncoming fight.  Granted, there was nothing more exciting than seeing two women fight, but this was little Kagome against an irate Kagura; the girl wouldn't stand a chance.

 

The bell rang signaling the end of lunch and the group, save two, sighed in relief.  Sango stood in front of Kagome facing her.  "Kagome, come on let's get to class.  If you want to mess her up, do it after school so you won't get into loads of trouble."  Kagome kept her gaze trained on Kagura, not once backing down.

 

"It would be wise for you to not stick around after school," Kagome told Kagura.

 

Kagura snorted indignantly before replying, "As if I'm afraid of a little thing like you.  I hope you're prepared to get your ass handed to you on a platter.  Be behind the gym after school."  She then flipped her hair over her shoulder and strode off before Kagome could say anything further.

 

"What a bitch!" Kagome cursed under her breath.  Apparently, Kagura forgot the minor detail of Kagome being on the Jujitsu team; otherwise she might have just given in and prostrated herself in front of everyone.  It was no matter, Kagome would be sure she was the one walking away the victor, Kagura and her idle threats be damned!

 

 

****

 

 

Everyone did well keeping the after school fight to themselves; the last thing their friends needed was an audience witnessing their brawl.  However, this definitely did not stop them from coming to view the battle. Oh no, they had front row seats and secretly, most of them were hoping that Kagome was the winner; it was time Kagura got dropped down a peg or two.

 

Kagome waited impatiently next to Sango for Kagura to show up.  Perhaps she thought better of the situation and decided not to show?  Kagome inwardly frowned at that thought; she was in the mood to kick some ass!  Her worries of missing out on maiming Kagura were appeased as she noticed her walking steadily towards their appointed area.  She was walking with two girls she didn't know, but they didn't matter; all that mattered was that Kagome was getting the retribution she deserved.

 

"So you decided to show; I thought for sure you would've turned tail and ran home," Kagura taunted as she made her way closer to Kagome.

 

Kagome remained silent to Kagura's taunts but she gave her an unimpressed once over to try and grate on her nerves.  It worked.  Kagura sneered at her, balled her hands into a fist, and then said, "Let's just get this over with, shall we?"

 

"Thought you'd never ask," Kagome said with a grin.  A tap on her shoulder made her turn towards its source. 

 

"Kagome, are you sure you want to do this?" Sango asked her friend in a last ditch effort to stop the fight.  "I don't know what happened, but it can't be worth this."

 

Kagome looked at her friend and smiled dejectedly.  "It is worth it; you'll just have to take my word for it."  Sango nodded and hesitantly backed away from her friend.  Kagome turned around to once again face Kagura when she was slapped hard enough in the face to make her stumble backwards a bit.

 

"Don't take your eyes off the enemy," Kagura said as she started circling around Kagome.  Their friends backed away from them apprehensively and stood at the sidelines to watch the show.  Kagome didn't move as Kagura circled her, instead she opened her senses up like she was taught and waiting for her to take the first, real, strike.  Just as Kagura made it to Kagome's right side she struck out, slashing her perfectly manicured nails at Kagome's face.

 

Kagome ducked quickly and grabbed a hold of Kagura's wrist to pin her arm behind her back.  This left Kagura bent forward while her arm was locked behind her, at the mercy of Kagome.  "Is that all you've got Kagura?" Kagome mocked her.  Kagome flung the woman away from her to allow Kagura the chance to recover before striking again.  Kagura stumbled forward in an attempt to regain her balance and then straightened up to whirl back around towards Kagome furiously.

 

"That will NOT happen again bitch!" Kagura snapped at her.  Now the fight was on.

 

Kagome lunged first this time since Kagura had learned quickly not to move first.  Kagura grabbed a hold of Kagome ponytail and pulled hard making Kagome's head fall backward.  Kagome used the leverage she had to kick at Kagura's legs which resulted in them both falling to the ground.  Using her nails, Kagura scratched Kagome's face on her cheek just before Kagome used her legs to catapult Kagura up and over her head.  Both quickly got back on their feet and started circling again, waiting for the next move.

 

"Why'd you do it Kagura?  You knew how I felt about him!" Kagome yelled at the woman in front of her.  Kagura's face had a couple bruises forming; one under her left eye and another on her upper lip from when Kagome elbowed her.  The wind witch licked her swollen lip and could taste her own blood from where she bit down on it when Kagome launched her to the ground.

 

"You were the one stupid enough to let him go for that wolf!  It's your own damn fault!" Kagura spat back.

 

"That's why I sent you to him!  You said you would let him know why I couldn't be there!  Just what did you say to him to make him hate me?" Kagome asked Kagura almost desperately.  The air was tense in the small area and everyone was afraid to break the heavy silence that now settled over them all.  They were all confused about what was going on, well, all except for Kouga who was shifting uncomfortably where he stood.

 

In actuality, he felt awful for what he did.  Kagome had been nothing but kind to him ever since she started school there and he repaid her by teaming up with Kagura and her stupid and petty plan.  If he was going to make it up to her, now was the chance.  Kouga cleared his throat and everyone looked over at him.

 

"Kagome, there's something you need to know," he began nervously.

 

"Don't even think about it you mongrel," Kagura interrupted him.  Just what did he think he was doing?!  There was no way he would rat her, let alone himself, out.  Kagome turned back to Kagura and narrowed her eyes once more at the conniving female.

 

"Just what do I need to know Kouga?" Kagome asked him in hopes of his continuing.  She didn't take her eyes off of Kagura, the woman fought dirty and she wouldn't allow herself to be struck unprepared again.

 

"That night I asked you out and I kissed you-" Kouga started again.

 

"Shut up!" Kagura yelled at him.

 

"When I kissed you, Sess...Sesshoumaru...he saw it.  He saw me kiss you and left before he saw the rest," he finally finished.  Although he knew that he was in for the beating of a lifetime from his friends, it felt good to have that off of his chest.  He wasn't at all surprised at the furious and disgusted looks that he received, but was glad that Kagura was the one that was getting the majority of the glares.

 

"You set me up?" Kagome asked hurt.  "Why would you do that to me?  What did I ever do to you?"  This was directed at Kouga who closed his eyes in shame. 

 

"You didn't do anything to me, Kagura just has some...stuff on me that I would rather not have floating around the school.  Look, I'm really sorry Kagome-"

 

"Just save it; I'll deal with you later," Kagome growled out at him.  Kouga wouldn't admit it, but in that moment he was close to pissing his pants in fear of the small mortal women.  She looked scary when she was mad.

 

Kagome turned her full attention back on Kagura now even more determined to cause her bodily damage.  Kagura gulped when she saw the look in Kagome's eyes that promised her a world of hurt.  With a fierce battle cry, Kagome was on Kagura within a blink of an eye.  She tackled her quickly to the ground and landed a couple punches to her once pretty face before jumping off of her again.  "Get up and fight me Kagura!"

 

The wind witch got to her feet and took a couple swing s at Kagome, but none of them made contact.  Kagome crouched down low and swung her leg out catching Kagura's ankles, causing the woman to fall to the unforgiving ground.

 

Ayame hissed between her teeth when she saw Kagura hit the ground.  "That had to hurt," she said to Sango and Kikyo who both merely nodded not wanting to take their eyes off the fight for a moment in fear that they'd miss something. Kagome moved fast.  They watched on as Kagome wailed on Kagura and all the defender could do was block her hits while trying to deliver strikes of her own unsuccessfully.  Miroku was grinning from ear to ear, praying to any god above that would listen to him that clothing would rip from either of the girls' bodies.  Inuyasha shook his head at the sight; Kagura had brought it on her self. 

 

Kikyo looked over at the boys and then checked around them to be sure they were all still alone when she caught sight of a tall looming figure approaching them rapidly.

 

"Shit," Kikyo whispered harshly.  All but Kagome and Kagura looked to Kikyo and then looked where she had her attention.  Their eyes all widened at the obviously angry person striding towards them, but before anyone could warn the two fighting girls, he was already upon them.

 

Sesshoumaru grabbed a hold of Kagome's upper arm and yanked her roughly up and off of Kagura.  "Ow!" Kagome screamed as she was pulled upward.  "Hey, let me go! Get off of me!" she continued to rant.

 

"Silence!" Sesshoumaru barked out.  Kagome's eyes widened when she recognized the voice of the person that held her and she quickly looked at him.  She began her struggle anew when she remembered why she was fighting Kagura in the first place, but Sesshoumaru's grip never wavered.  He glanced around the group of friends, ignoring the shouts coming from Kagome. 

 

"I suggest all of you leave now before I give you detention for the rest of the year," he said in a deep and threatening voice.  The group all bowed their heads in shame and Sesshoumaru sneered at them and their antics.  He did not stick around to see where they went, but instead pulled a struggling Kagome towards his car.

 

"Let me go you big jerk!" he heard her yell at him. Sesshoumaru continued on his way and opened the passenger side door of his car before haphazardly tossing her into the seat.  "Stay there and buckle up," he demanded of her.  It was time that they had a nice long talk about what was happening between them.

 

Kagome huffed and pursed her lips in disdain, but complied with Sesshoumaru's wishes nonetheless.  She buckled up quickly and then scooted her self as close to her door as she could manage and kept her gaze out the window.  Sesshoumaru got into his car, buckled up as well, and started the car.  He pulled out of the deserted school parking lot and drove towards his home.  His father was still out of town and since Sesshoumaru was Inuyasha's ride home, he reasonably determined that they would be able to have some alone time together to sort things out.

 

The drive was made mostly in silence; it was only broken every now and then with Kagome muttering about ‘unfaithful assholes' and ‘stupid jealous bitches who didn't know how to keep their hands off of things that didn't belong to them'.  Sesshoumaru kept his eyes on the road with only a couple of stolen glances in Kagome's direction.  He shook his head slowly at the thought of how screwed up everything had become; how did everything go down hill so fast?

 

After the longest ten minute drive of both Sesshoumaru and Kagome's lives, he finally pulled into the long driveway of his father's home.  Although Kagome was not in the best of moods, she couldn't help but look on admirably at the beautiful home.  It would have been even better if she were there on friendlier terms.  The car came to a stop and Sesshoumaru got out, expecting her to do the same.  He reached the front door to the house and looked back to see Kagome still sitting in the car and sighed.  She was going to try and be difficult.

 

Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes at her and crossed his arms in front of his chest in challenge.  He would gladly force her out of the car if she didn't do it on her own.  Kagome caught his pointed look and rolled her eyes before unbuckling her seatbelt and stepping out of the car.  She followed him into the empty house and fidgeted a little at the circumstances.

 

"I believe it is time we talked," Sesshoumaru stated bluntly.

 

Kagome sighed and closed her eyes, willing herself not to cry when the memories of Kagura screaming Sesshoumaru's name came flooding back to her mind unbidden.  "I have nothing to say to you."

 

Sesshoumaru pinched the bridge of his nose to ward off the oncoming headache.  "Why did you fight with Kagura today?" he asked her.

 

"Pfft!  Like you don't know, you big jerk."

 

"This is getting us nowhere, just tell me why," Sesshoumaru told her, losing his once remarkable patience.

 

Kagome looked up into his eyes, hers brimming with unshed tears as she tried to make herself disappear from his presence.  Her bottom lip trembled and Sesshoumaru took a step towards her to try and comfort her.  He reached his hand up to place it on her soft cheek but she flinched away from him like he burned her.

 

"Don't touch me!  How can you even act like nothing happened after you screwed Kagura!?" she screamed out.

 

Sesshoumaru took a step back in complete shock.  Out of all the things that she could have said to him, that was something he never expected.  He could only stare at her as the tears she had been forcefully holding back finally escaped.