- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It took seven chapters, but finally Happy Birthday, Kagome!
Kagome’s POV
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR KAGOOOOMEEEEEEE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!” My family sang. I yawned and looked to Inuyasha who was beaming with Kaori on his back.
“Thanks you guys!” I smiled. Souta shoved a package in my hands.
“Open mine first!” He shouted. I tore away some old newspaper to find a huge travel backpack, this time in a light forest green. “Look in it!” I did. It was a survival pack, with dried foods, fruits, a first aid kit, canteens, water purifiers, and there was still space for ramen, clothes, blankets, and everything else!
“Thanks Souta!” I put the backpack aside as Grandpa put his rectangle-shaped package in my hands. I opened it to find a book. A collection of legends from 500 years ago.
“I’ve told you some of these and sometimes you come back to tell me that the legends are true. I thought maybe this would help you.”
“Thank you, Grandpa!” I hugged him and Mama put a gift bag into my arms. I opened it up to find a pair of stylish hiking boots, thermal underwear, jeans, and a light pink flannel top as well as khaki shorts, and a light button up shirt that was the same color as the other top. There was also extra underwear, bras, and tank tops, and two sets of pajamas: one to keep me warm, and one for hot nights, like all of the other clothes. “Thank you Mama!” I hugged her and everyone but Inuyasha went downstairs so that I could get ready for the day. I stood up and Inuyasha pulled me into his arms.
“Happy Birthday.” He kissed the top of my head. “Kagome…I have something for you.” He said, pulling out a small box. He carefully placed it in my hands. I opened the box to reveal a small silver dog on a silver chain, with three rubies on either side.
“Oh, Inuyasha! It’s beautiful!” I exclaimed.
“It’s a type of bonding necklace. As long as both of us wear our necklaces, I’ll know when you need me…for anything.” He blushed and took a silver chain out of his Haori and we both put on our necklaces at the same time. There was a flash of red light, and then nothing. “Ok, need me for something.” Inuyasha said.
“I always need you.” I said playfully. He just keh’d and blushed a bit. “Inuyasha, I need to get ready now.” I stated and he left me to my thoughts. I couldn’t keep my eyes off of the beautiful gift hanging just below my collar bone. I got dressed and went downstairs to find my family waiting with a huge breakfast with all of my favorite breakfast foods. We ate together and Mama said that it was alright if Inuyasha, Kaori and I went back through the well, as long as we made it back home for dinner. I packed up some ramen to leave at Kaede’s and we went back through the well. I entered Kaede’s hut to be greeted by a loud chorus of ‘Happy Birthday Kagome!’ I gave all of my friends a hug and they presented me with their gifts. They had obviously coordinated their gifts, a hair clip from Sango, a set of earrings from Miroku, and a bracelet from Shippou, all matching each other.
After an hour or two of talking to my friends, and hanging around Inuyasha came up behind me. “Um..Kagome…Do you want to go for a walk with me?” He asked nervously.
“Sure.” I gave him a reassuring smile and followed him in the direction of the Goshinboku tree. I reflected back on the past year and realized that Inuyasha and I had gotten so incredibly close and even close since last week when I fell out of the tree. He loves me. He really loves me. I love him too…so so much. I thought
“So Kagome…I was thinking the other day and uhh…”
“Thinking about what, Inuyasha?” I encouraged.
“About me…You…….Us” He looked down. Oh no…he’s breaking up with me! I thought frantically. “I don’t know exactly how to say this, Kagome, but-”
“Please don’t!” I cried. He gave me a look that was somewhat confused and sad.
“But…I thought…”
“Please, Inuyasha. I love you! Don’t leave me! Please!” He laughed. If I wasn’t so confused and hurt, I would have thought it was the most glorious sound in the world. “Inuyasha?”
“Kagome, I was never going to leave you!” He said between breaths. “I was going to ask you to be my mate!” He got a serious look on his face once again. “Before you decide, let me warn you. You’re a human and I’m a half-demon so I don’t know what the outcome will be. When two demons mate, It strengthens both demons and bonds them forever, and by forever, I mean it. The bond can’t be broken unless one of us dies. The ritual is an exchange of blood and umm… an exchange of…bodies…innocence. I don’t know what will happen, Kagome, but I do know that I love you, and I want to be with you forever.” he looked at me, blushing and noticed that I had tears forming in my eyes. “What…what did I do!?”
“Nothing, Inuyasha! I’m just so happy! Yes!” Inuyasha’s eyes got wide.
“Y-yes?” He looked stunned.
“Yes, Inuyasha. Why are you so surprised?”
“I never thought, in all my life, Kagome, that anyone would ever want to be with me. Look at me, I’m a worthless hanyou. No one wants a half breed. All my life I was told I wasn’t good enough, I was beaten after my mother died, I was never accepted. I gave up-” He went on looking at the ground until I cut him off.
“Inuyasha, stop. I could never see you in that way. To me, you are…well, you’re Inuyasha. Not anything less. You are a living being, and you deserve to be treated like one. You are not worthless, you have every right to be here. I’m so sorry for the way people treated you, and how that affects you now. But I will never leave you, Inuyasha. I love you.” He raised his head to look into my eyes. I grabbed his hand, brought him closer to me, and planted a kiss right on his lips. “As soon as we come back here after dinner, I want to do it. I want to be your mate.” I said, confidently. He kissed me and held on to my hand tighter as we walked back to our friends.
“Ah, Kagome…Inuyasha. Did you have…fun?” Miroku asked, a mischievous look in his eyes.
“Damn pervert.” Inuyasha muttered. “We’re going back for Kagome’s birthday dinner. We’ll be back later on toni- er…Sometime tomorrow.”
“Can I come!?” Kaori asked launching herself into Inuyasha’s arms.
“No, Kaori, I’m sorry but you can’t this time.” Kagome said. Kaori began to cry and Kagome gave her a hug. “Next time, though. We’ll make sure we get you some ice cream, too!” Kaori settled down and went to play with Shippou as Kagome and Inuyasha headed to the well hand in hand.
Chapter End Notes:
Kagome: All I want for my birthday is for you to review!