- Text Size +
I woke up the next morning to my mother calling me down for breakfast. I ignored her, which wasn’t like me but I was still pissed at Inuyasha for leaving while I was asleep. I can’t believe he left me to face Hojo alone! I was enraged, cursing Inuyasha in my head as I stepped out of the bathtub and wrapped a light pink towel around me. I finished getting dressed, but as I went to brush my hair, I couldn’t find my brush. I must have misplaced it again, silly me. A million enticing smells hit me and I could faintly hear dishes clattering. Mom was cooking breakfast. I made my way downstairs and was greeted with a chorus of voices. “Good morning Kagome!”

“Good morning. Mama, what’s for breakfast?” I asked.

“Sausage and Pancakes, dear.” My mother replied with a smile.

I smiled at my mother taking a plate and sitting by Souta.

“Hey sis, how long do you get to stay this time?” Souta asked. Everyone listened having missed me for a month.

“Until a few days after my birthday. Is it ok if Inuyasha stays with us a few times?” I asked. My family didn’t know that Inuyasha and I were…together.

“Of course, dear.” My mother said while Souta rambled on about how cool Inuyasha was.
I finished my breakfast and left for school, dreading every moment to come. On my way, I was ambushed by my waiting friends.

“Hi Kagome!” Ayumi yelled.

“Hi guys. Whatever questions you have you might as well get them out now.” I said knowing that they would what to know what the big deal was about yesterday.

“Kagome, was that your abusive boyfriend that got into a fight with Hojo?”

“Yeah, but he’s not abusive. Hojo is the one who apparently claimed me, and then when I said otherwise he… hit me.” I said, getting quiet towards the end of my explanation. A gasp was heard as my friends instantly apologized and huddled around me to comfort me.

“No guys it’s really ok. When he slapped me I was so shocked that I didn’t do anything, but now I’m prepared for anything that happens. And I have some good news, my ‘abusive’ boyfriend, has made us official. He told me he loves me a few days ago.” The girls all squealed as we made our way into the school doors and heard the bell ring letting us know we had 5 minutes to get to class. I left my friends and headed to math, one of the three classes I had with Hojo…

~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’
Inuyasha’s POV

Dammit, Kagome must be pissed at me for not saying goodbye. But she looked so peaceful and beautiful sleeping, I didn’t want to ruin that. She’s going to be so surprised about her present though.

I left early this morning wanting to get a start on my journey to Totosai’s. Before I left her time I asked her mother for some money, which she gladly gave me. I went to the nearest silver shop and asked if they had a small silver dog trinket. I gave them the money, put the rest of it in my robe and went through the well. I told Miroku and Sango to look after Shippo and I was on my way. When I left they were making their own presents for Kagome. I came up to a nearby village and saw an old woman with what looked like expensive jewelry.

“Excuse me ma’am, can I ask where you got your jewelry?” I said trying to be as polite as possible. The woman didn’t turn around to say anything just simply pointed to a small hut. I scoffed at her rudeness and went into the hut where an old man sitting by the fire. “Sir, you wouldn’t happen to have any rubies, would you?” This polite thing is getting hard, I don’t know how Kagome does it.

“Rubies, rubies, rubies, where did I put them?” He said franticly searching for the precious red jewel. “A-HAH! Here it is! He said, handing me the rubies. I took six and gave him back the bag

“Thank you sir.” I said. I handed him the money, and I was on my way to Totosai’s, one step closer to getting Kagome’s gift. In about seven hours, I was at my destination. “Hey old man, ya here?” I yelled walking into the cave.

“Inuyasha, long time, no see.” The man said.

“Alright listen up geezer, Kagome means a lot to me and I want to get her something special for her birthday. Can you make her a bonding type of necklace that tells me when she needs me or something?” I asked, his excitement getting the best of him.

“I can make you a necklace, I’ll need five teeth though, Inuyasha, and a lock of the girl’s hair.” I had been prepared for this, Miroku pulled my teeth ahead of time and I grabbed something of Kagome’s from her room, something that smelled the most of her scent. I had seen her use it in her hair quite often, only hoping it wasn’t very important. “It should be done in four days.”

“Ok. Mind if I bunk here with you until then, old man?”

“Might as well, I can put you to work.” Totosai said as he pushed me toward a large pile of logs. “Cut them.” I sighed and got to work.

‘~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’
Kagome’s POV

Math class ended up completely horrible. I cant believe Hojo could be so mean, I was so so wrong.

Flashback
I walked into math class and groaned when I saw Hojo in his usual seat next to mine. I decided to sit in my normal seat and get this over with. As soon as I sat down I felt something hit my side extremely hard. Hojo had poked, almost stabbed, me in the stomach with the eraser end of his pencil. A loud gasp was heard from me. I decided to let it slide since class hadn’t even started and it could’ve been an accident but I was pretty pissed. Class started and the teacher gave the lesson, then fifteen minutes to work on our homework. As soon as mine was handed out and the teacher turned away, Hojo grabbed my paper and ripped it in half. Oh, now he’s going to get it. I politely raised my hand and asked the teacher for another paper, but before she turned around, I switched my ripped mess with Hojo’s nice clean paper.

“Kagome what ever could have happened to your paper in five seconds?” I grinned.

“Its not for me, Miss, Hojo turned to me and told me he wasn’t doing his homework and ripped it in half.” I said innocently.

“HOJO! How dare you do such a thing, zero on your homework and you get to visit the principal to tell him what you did.” I turned to a very angry Hojo and smiled then giggled a bit. Ha! Serves you right, meanie, but that’s not the end of it.

I smiled again and continued walking to my second block class, one that I, thankfully, didn’t have with Hojo. The bell rang, letting me know that I had one minute to get to my history class. It went by in a blur, as did lunch. My third block wasn’t that bad, some of Hojo’s friends teased me a bit, but I don’t care. They can be as immature as they want. The bell rang once more for fourth. I went to my English class and murmured, “Might as well get this over with…” I sat in my usual seat, but Hojo decided to make a new seat for himself and sit next to me.

“Hello, Hojo.” I smiled.

“What’s wrong with you?” He answered.

“Oh nothing, I was just thinking about my boyfriend.”

“That abusive creep? Your friends told me all about him. I think you’d be better off with me.”

“Really? You’re still going for that? It’ll never happen.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t be so sure.” He said grabbing my hand underneath the desk. I yanked mine away and scooted away from Hojo. I tried my best to listen to the lesson, but Hojo stared at me through the entire thing. I had a lot of trouble concentrating. Class finally ended and I rushed to get home. Ugh, I wish Inuyasha would come back.

The next few days went pretty much the same way, Hojo bugging me, me missing Inuyasha, I occasionally went through the well, only to be forced back by Shippo exclaiming that I’d ruin my surprise. On Saturday, the day before my birthday, I didn’t do anything except work on homework in my room. I missed Inuyasha.

‘~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’~’
Inuyasha’s POV

“Here’s your Necklace, Inuyasha. In order for the bond to work though, You’ll need to wear this.” Totosai said pulling out a silver chain. “Be sure that you put them on at the same time.

“Thanks old man.” I said, ready to leave. As I made my way back to the well I thought to myself. Kagome’s birthday is in two days. We’ll stay in her time for two days after her birthday, then we’ll come back here and search for demons.

“Help!” I heard a faint cry in the distance and pricked up my ears. “Help, please! Someone!” There it was again. I bolted off in the direction of the voice. A small girl around the age of six was hanging from a cliff. She’d caught a protruding branch on her way down, but her weight was too heavy, not to mention a spider demon was crawling down the side toward her. I jumped to the girl and grabbed her, placing her on my back.

“Whatever you do, don’t let go of me.” I felt her nod and tuck her small head under my hair. I unsheathed Tessaiga and went after the demon.

“Hahaha, You think you can defeat me, young hanyou?” the spider demon said.

“Keh, I don’t know who you think you are, but you can be damn sure I’ll rip you head off with my bare hands!” I launched myself at the demon and swung Tessaiga. The blow sliced cleanly through the demon and the battle was over just like that. I climbed up the cliff and set the terrified girl on the ground.

“Thanks for saving me, mister!” She smiled up at me and then looked up at my ears. Thinking that she’d be frightened, I attempted to flatten them to my head. “Hey! I have ears too!” The girl brushed her hair away to reveal black cat ears. I should have smelled I by now, the stench is so strong. She’s a half-demon. She ripped a hole in the back of her dress and a tail popped through. “I have to hide ‘em sometimes.” She stated looking down.

“What for?” I asked politely. This kid needs to get back to her mom, but Kagome would want me to be polite.

“Well…sometimes the other kids in the village tease me about not having any parents. I can’t show them my ears too.” She said looking at the ground. This kid is just like me.

“C’mon kid. Why don’t you come with me?” She smiled and grabbed my hand. “So, what happened to your parents?”

“Well, my mommy was the most beautiful lady in the whole world. She was a priestess for a village. My daddy was a big kitty and a big meany. When he found out mommy was pregnant with me, he tried to kill her so she ran away to her mommy’s house. One night it was dark and rainy, and my mommy was having me, but daddy found us. My granny was a priestess a long time ago, so she tried to purify daddy and kill him, and she did! But mommy was struggling with me, and granny says a few hours after I was born mommy passed away. Granny died two years ago and I’ve been living in this village’s orphanage since then, but all the other kids tease me so today I tried to run away. But that demon attacked me.” I looked down into the girl’s sad eyes and made a quick decision.

“You can travel with me for now. I’ll be able to protect you”

“Really? Thanks! My names Kaori.” She leaped at me and gave me a hug.

“Inuyasha.” We traveled quick together and she rambled the entire way. I like this kid, I think. I just wonder what Kagome will think…
Chapter End Notes:
Inuyasha wants you to review.