- Text Size +
They say the eyes are the window to the soul.
~*~*~*~
Inuyasha held his mate. He screamed for her, but she could not hear him. He wept for her, but she could not see him. He held her close, but she could not feel him. Three days had passed, but there were no changes, save for Kagome’s body healing its own wounds. She was a lump of flesh, every ounce of her soul spent defeating Naraku. Inuyasha sat by her side, never leaving except to answer nature’s call. He hadn’t eaten, slept, or spoken since that fateful day. He fed Kagome’s body, changed her clothes when her own body answered nature’s call, changed her wound dressing, he did everything to keep her comfortable, but she did not return. Sango, Miroku, and Shippou were headed to visit their friends in the hut, when they met them on the way.
“We’re going for a bath.” Inuyasha barely looked at them before heading to the lake.
Inuyasha had cut himself off from the world and only one person would ever be able to bring him back. He had just pulled Kagome’s shirt back over her head when Kikyo’s shinidamichu appeared, however, he did not follow them. He simply began combing out Kagome’s hair. Kikyo almost instantly appeared.
“Why do you ignore my call, Inuyasha? Do you not wish to fulfill your promise to join me in Hell?” Inuyasha gave her no answer. He did not even look at her. He continued brushing Kagome’s hair. Kikyo took in the sight before her. “I see. You are mated with my reincarnation. You have fallen in love with her. Do you care for me any longer?” Inuyasha met her question with a hard look. The answer was obvious. “Very well. I do not wish to remain living, however, Naraku is dead. I shall reward Kagome for killing him. She may have the piece her soul that remains in my body.” Inuyasha stared with wide eyes as a small circle of light returned to its former owner and Kikyo’s clay body shattered on the ground upon impact. Kagome gasped and opened her eyes. When Inuyasha looked into them, they had changed, but only her pupil had returned. It was odd to Inuyasha, but he didn’t care. He had his Kagome back….he thought, at least. The days passed and it became obvious. Kagome could move. Nothing else. She still could not speak, or feel. She could see and hear, of course, but she was unable to comprehend. Naraku had been dead for a week when it happened.
Inu……Yasha……..
“Ka-Kagome?” Inuyasha was sure he was going crazy. Had he really heard Kagome through their bond? It was confirmed when he heard it a second time, although now she spoke aloud.
“Inu..yasha.” Kagome’s eyes fluttered open once, revealing that they were back to normal, irises and pupils, everything was where it should be. She closed her eyes upon grabbing Inuyasha’s hand, and for the first time since Naraku’s death, they both fell asleep.
~*~*~
The next day they woke up well into the evening. Inuyasha could not keep the smile off of his face, until it became apparent that something had changed in Kagome; however when he asked what was wrong, she simply brushed him off claiming that it was nothing. The two lovers ate and their group assembled for a much needed discussion.
“What happened, Kagome?” Miroku asked the question everyone was dying to know the answer to.
“I don’t remember much, but I’ll tell you what I can.
~*~*Flashback*~*~
Kagome kissed Naraku’s forehead and was suddenly transported into a meadow with flowers everywhere, and across from her stood Naraku. Between them a battle raged. A wall of pink against a wall of black.
“You have defeated me in the flesh, miko, but can you defeat me in the soul?” Naraku was the first one to speak.
“Give up, Naraku! You can’t win!” Kagome was about to shout again, but Inuyasha suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Before Kagome could even blink, one of Naraku’s tentacles went straight through the left side of Inuyasha’s chest.
“Kagome…I…love you.” That was all he was able to say before Naraku ripped out his heart and threw it at her feet. Kagome’s powers wavered and the blackness of Naraku’s surged forward and hit the same spot where Inuyasha had been hit. Kagome collapsed to the ground as a woman appeared in front of her. She wore the traditional miko robes, and armor over the top. She fought Naraku with a single sword. Kagome managed to stay alive long enough to be sure that Naraku was truly killed, and then she closed her eyes forever.
~*~*~
“So… you died?” Shippou asked.
“Oi, let her finish the story!” Inuyasha pounded Shippou on the head before turning back to Kagome.
~*~*~

“Girl, wake up.” Kagome blinked open her heavy eyes. She was unable to move, and her vision was blurred. She made out a figure with black hair wearing red and white.
“Ki-Kikyo?”
“No. It is I, Midoriko. Do you wish to live, girl? You have great power, and I can restore your life to you, but it will come at a cost. There is life within you, all you must do is answer my question and I will help you. Do you wish to live?”
“Yes!” Kagome answered almost immediately.
“Very well.” Kagome felt the pain before she knew what was happening. It came from her midsection. Her stomach was ripped open and a tiny child, about the size of a squirrel, was drawn from her stomach and into Midoriko’s arms.
“No!” She wasn’t even sure she was pregnant! She didn’t know this was the cost!
“It is too late now.” Midoriko slashed the child right down the middle and the light of life surged into Kagome’s body.
~*~*~
“I’m sorry Inuyasha. I didn’t know.” Kagome couldn’t keep the tears out of her eyes.
“You…You were pregnant?!” Sango exclaimed. “You should have told us! There’s no way I would have let you in that battle!”
“You think I would have?!” Inuyasha growled. “It wouldn’t have helped! She went in any way!”
“I’m sorry Inuyasha.” Kagome said over her shoulder once more before making her way to the well. Inuyasha realized what he said and what Kagome took it for. He quickly caught up to her.
“No, Kagome! I was just trying to make Sango stop blaming you! You were the only one who could have stopped Naraku! I don’t blame you!” Kagome whipped around so quickly that it tore open the wound in her chest.
“It doesn’t matter if you forgive me. I can never forgive myself.”
“Kagome, it wasn’t your fault! You didn’t know!” Kagome just shook her head. Inuyasha reached for her hand, but as soon as he made contact with her skin, pain shot through his arm. He looked down to see the familiar work of purification. He hardened his eyes and braced himself. Inuyasha grabbed Kagome’s arms and pinned them to her sides. He fought through the pain and planted a kiss on her lips. He didn’t care who saw, he just needed his Kagome back. He was relieved when the pain subsided and he kissed her back. Tears streamed down his face as he showed the world his vulnerability.
````````````````````````````````````````````````````
I’m on a roll! Hey you know, I just thought I should tell you….Reviews…they help your favorite characters stay alive. ;)
Chapter End Notes:
Inuyasha: No! Don't kill me! Please! Ah! No! REVIEW! REVIEW SO SHE DOESNT KILL ME!