- Text Size +
Her Life – Chapter 10 – “Proud”


Almost the entire Fujioka family was seated in the audience, watching as the third youngest child of their family, Tadao, waited to go up on stage to receive his high school diploma. All had dressed in their best attire for the exciting event, just like they had with all the other children. Not one of them was going to be treated any differently than the other. Though some would say that they seemed a bit extravagant for doing so, the Fujioka’s didn’t see it that way. They saw it as a family tradition, to show each child that passing through school was a momentous event to be celebrated, not just any other day.

Funny, he remembered how much he had been fascinated with Kagome’s books; how many doors it had opened up for him into new worlds, yet, he never once went to school to get any kind of diploma. The way he figured it, what use was it to go someplace and study for Lord knows how many years for just a stupid piece of paper. Inuyasha always told people that he had his street smarts and he didn’t need some document to tell him what he knew the most about. Even though those were his beliefs, that didn’t mean that he didn’t want his children to have an education of their own.

From an early age, Inuyasha began teaching each of his children everything he could remember from Kagome’s textbooks. At times the hanyou did seem to even amaze his wife at the facts he knew of from the future. It was thanks to his readings that he was able to save his family from illness outbreaks and even the upcoming wars. His knowledge even went as far as to know where to direct the boats full of demons that had fled the country during the rebellion of the 1700’s. If it hadn’t of been for him and his curiosity of the future born miko’s books the entire population of demons would have been decimated.

Who would’ve thought that the once despised hanyou would save the entire demon race?

~~~~

All rose to clap when Tadao crossed the stage and shook each of the teacher’s hands, but one family member watched with his eyes while his mind was in a completely different place.

Inuyasha’s mind wasn’t paying attention to his son, he was thinking of the two newest photos that now held a place in the wallet resting against his breastbone. After reading through the first of Kagome’s journal’s and then through another he had discovered a photo pasted to one of the pages from Souta’s graduation. Turns out the kid was some sort of super wiz and had graduated three years early. The kid had no idea how proud his “Inu-nii-chan” was of him, and neither did Kagome. He wished they did though. Could Souta still possibly be alive? Was he running the shrine as generations did before him? Some research would need to be done.

Many asked him, mostly his children, why he had copies of the two photos made and why he placed them in his wallet. They couldn’t seem to understand the meaning behind his thoughts though. The new generation of the House of the West knew that the Higurashi family meant a lot to him, but, none of them exactly understood how much. Thanks to Kagome, Inuyasha had gained something he hadn’t had (at the time) in over two hundred years; a family. He got a grandfather who bugged him, a little brother who idolized him, and a mother to dote on him. It hurt him to know that he missed out on so much of their lives all because he didn’t know the date of the miko’s return. The hanyou felt that thanks to the photos in his pocket that somewhere, somehow, Kagome knew that he still thought of her often and that he was proud that she had succeeded in something that she had once feared that she would fail.

For a moment, just one mind you, Inuyasha’s eyes glazed over and the next graduate on stage suddenly became Kagome. Wearing her green and white outfit, the mirage turned, looked directly at him, and sent a smile his way filled with so much happiness that he couldn’t help but grin a bit himself. Sure, his wife was staring at him oddly but that didn’t matter to him, it was the happiness from the vision that he was feeling now.

Slowly he raised his hand to rest upon the concealed inner pocket of his suit, silently sending a prayer to the heavens to a certain girl, saying sorry for missing such an important day in her life.

But now isn’t the time to be down in the dumps. It is a time to celebrate the sacred passage into adulthood.

Chapter End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 807

SOOOOOOO wasn’t happy with this chapter. Don’t think I got the point across that I wanted. Honestly, I forgot what my point was halfway through anyway. So this is I guess what you could call filler. I’m babysitting my niece and I can’t seem to concentrate.

Just so ya’ll know, this story isn’t going to be day-by-day journal entries. For instance, in this chapter I have Inuyasha read the rest of the first book and then to the second where we discover Sota graduated early. I don’t know where I’ll be heading in the next chapter but I do know that when we get towards the end there will be the ending plus an alternate. Have the tissues ready folks.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!