- Text Size +
Tactics – Chapter 3 – “And We’re Walking”


A month…

It had been a whole month since the High Priest known as Eiji had set out from his village in search of the current Lord of Western Lands. It irked him to the core that he had to travel aimlessly just to find one demon. Of course he wouldn’t complain though; it was his duty to protect his village from the rogues, but just how long would it take until he found the Lord? Could he have passed him by him already? After all, he’d seen many demons within the past moon cycle – that was another thing that irritated the old man.

Eiji had a very little idea of what Sesshomaru looked like.

“His hair is said to be as silver as the moon…”  Lord Hideki had told him.  “And his it’s length to be as long as he is tall. The sword at his hip is a powerful one as well as the claws that line his fingers, so you must beware.”

The whole situation was infuriating. How long was it going to take to find the Western Lord? How many more of his fellow villagers would he have to lose before finally being rid of the colossal demons? Mind you, he did put up one of his most powerful barrier’s to protect the village before he left, but being as old as he was there was no way in telling how long it would hold out. He just hoped that none of the villagers were stupid enough to leave the barrier’s safety.

“Damn wench, you only just went last week to battle one of your stupid ‘test demons’.”

“That was over three weeks ago!”

Apparently, Eiji was close to at least two travelers – perhaps they had seen Lord Sesshomaru? It was worth a shot to ask them, after all, what did he have to lose?

He shuffled through the short bout of forest that separated the two trails and moved the small amount of brush that would reveal to him the faces that accompanied the voices, but what he saw shocked him to the bone. It only shocked him for a moment thought, for in the next moment the old priest was kneeling at the foot of the raging Inuyasha.

“Forgive me M’Lord for being so rude but I am a desperate man. I come on a mission from my village to ask for you humble assistance as per the agreement made so many years ago.” Eiji still didn’t gaze up into the hanyou’s face.

“What the hell are you talkin’ about old man? And quit your damn groveling!”

Not wanting to anger the fearsome demon, Eiji began to rise, still not gazing into the face of whom he believed was Lord Sesshomaru – but what a strangely dressed girl said next stopped him cold again.

“Inuyasha, must you be so rude?”

“That name…”  Eiji’s mind whispered. “No – it couldn’t be. Surely that… beast… didn’t survive that long after they were removed from our village. Right?”

It was then that his elderly eyes fully took in the rest of the form he was kneeling before; the unforgettable redness of the haori and hakama, the more silver toned hair, forelocks, and finally the one thing that marked him as he was – his ears. He did a double take though; intently taking in Inuyasha’s face to reinforce his thoughts, his mind was right though. From the few paintings his village still had of her and from what he’d seen of them, old Eiji could definitely see the resemblances between mother and son; specifically in his eye and facial shapes.

This priest was undeniably about to change his tune.

“You… you’re the one that took our beloved Princess away from us!” Eiji charged, staff at the ready, but all he met was air and then ground. Kagome rushed over and helped him up while she rapidly asked Inuyasha what the stranger was talking about. It was quickly discovered though that Eiji had a quick dislike for the modern teenager.

“Don’t you dare put your hands on me you demon whore!” Kagome’s hands were forcibly shoved away, so hard that she herself fell on to the hard ground. The old priest even went so far as to accuse Sango of also being one of Inuyasha’s “women” which just about earned him a whack in the head from the Hiraikotsu – that is if Miroku hadn’t stopped her.

“What are you doing fellow monk? Don’t tell me you actually side with these vermin!”

He was surprised when he suddenly found himself lifted into the air by the collar and a single dangerous claw against his throat – persistent growling coming from its owner.

“Listen up ya bastard `cause I’m only saying this once. You can say whatever the hell you want about me but you crossed the line when you said Kagome was my…” Dear Lord he couldn’t ever think of calling such a degrading thing. “Hell, you know what you said. Then you went as far as to accuse Sango of the same thing? That makes you worse than Miroku! Now speak your business before my claws and your blood have a little meeting together – if you catch my drift.” Inuyasha was truly menacing with his blazing eyes and his snarling threats. It was all he could do not to kill the bastard right then and there.

Nodding fervently, Eiji soon felt his feet touch the ground and hastily explained his reasoning for finding Lord Sesshomaru. It amazed him even more when the humans amongst the mismatched group agreed to try to destroy the demons plaguing his village, even against the disputes of the hanyou.

~~~~

Inuyasha just didn’t feel right about the entire situation.

From what he’d understood (and he understood a lot) years ago, his old man had made a pact with the village known as Kin’ai* to give them the best protection the Western Army could offer. In exchange for what though? What could a human village give the most powerful demon in perhaps all of time? And what was the deal with the old man accusing him of “taking away their princess”? He’d never kidnapped a woman before so what was that priest problem anyway?!

Those thoughts were really on the imaginary backburner of his mind. The more important issue was the waste of time this stupid journey was; traveling all the way to the most southern tip of the Western Lands border, not even for a stupid jewel shard! Who the hell cared if this village had an agreement with the West? That just meant it wasn’t his problem but Sesshomaru’s; like Eiji had originally figured.

But what did a stupid half-breed know about royal dealings anyway?

Out of the corner of his eye, Inuyasha started to notice minor things amongst the path that began to look vaguely familiar… a little too familiar. A certain rock formation here, an abandoned building there – it all activated long since forgotten memories within his mind’s eye.

And the scenes he was remembering he didn’t like one bit.

“Inuyasha are you alright? You act like something’s bothering you.” All Kagome got in reply though was the usual grunt and the crossing of arms.

Little did they know that things were about to turn sour and fast.

~~~~

He’d blown up – as simple as that.

The realization of where exactly they were headed had come to Inuyasha as soon as they’d entered the very outskirts of the village. Dear Lord it had infuriated him deeply. Now he knew what Eiji meant when it was said that he had taken their princess away. Now if these idiots only knew the truth. Hell, the group hadn’t even been in the village a minute and pitchforks, along with other farm implements, had been pointed their way – all because of a stupid misunderstanding OVER TWO HUNDRED YEARS OLD!

After quite a bit of yelling on Inuyasha’s part and many failed attempts at pacifying both Inuyasha and the villagers on Hideki’s part, the hanyou had just up and left before he ended up destroying the place.

“Please hanyou; if Lord Sesshomaru won’t aide us, then you are the only other living relative left of the Dog General to honor the pact.” Hideki implored one last time as Inuyasha was walking away. The village lord was starting to believe his words had an impact that is until he found himself lifted up in the air by a clawed hand.

“If you think that duping me to come back to this damn place would get me to feel mercy and protect your sorry excuse for a village, then your name fits you pretty well. You are about as smart as a tree.”

Hideki quickly found himself dropped to the ground as the infamous hanyou disappeared from sight.

~~~~

The Inu-tachi had swiftly decided not to kill the demons ravaging the surrounding forests, although they did agree to strengthen the barrier so it would last until they could receive Sesshomaru’s help – if they ever did that is. Sure it seemed like a cruel thing to do and was completely unlike them, nonetheless, when a whole village turned on one of their own for no apparent reason then you know something is up. Multiple times, the humans of the mismatched group tried to get the story of why everyone took such an instant dislike to Inuyasha but not one of them would open their mouths.

So after reinforcing the barrier with both Miroku and Kagome’s power the group of five took their leave while the village elders met once again to figure out their next course of action.
Chapter End Notes:
A/N – Total words – 1,612

I know, not a lot of Sesshomaru dialogue but the plot twist is about to come I assure you. Please understand that this chapter’s purpose is to lead up to what is going to happen to Sesshomaru as previewed in my summery.

I would also like to announce that I now have a Twitter account, also under the name “Daphneshaggydoo”. Please follow me to receive notifications instantly about updates to any of my fanfics, newly uploaded Fanart, and even CHAPTER PREVIEWS!!!

Would like to note that I’ve also just gotten my first job – start at Jo-Ann Fabrics on Monday so updates may take a little longer. I do plan on writing chaps during my breaks. Thanks to all for hanging in there with me!

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS! ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!