- Text Size +

Curiosity ~ Chapter Twenty-Nine ~ "Sit Him Down"


It had been two days since everyone had made their way to Kagome's era and boy was the house crowded. Thankfully Aunt Aisha had come to gather up Suki yesterday or they would have had an even bigger issue about sleeping arrangements since Mama had come back from Osaka the day before.

The first night was the most difficult due to the sleeping arrangements, after all, who would have thought that so many people would be staying in the Higurashi household at one time? But thankfully everything smoothed itself out and the beds were divided up amongst the houseguests without too much trouble.

Kagome of course made sure that Miroku was away from Sango, who was occupying Kagome's room since Suki had gone back home; the last thing she wanted to deal with was a middle of the night groping. Souta was thrilled to death having Inuyasha sleep in his room for the "mini vacation" as he had deemed it. Miroku staying in his room was just an added bonus. Boy was he going to kick these guys at video games!

The oddest thing, at least to Kagome, was how fast Gramps had offered up his room for Kaede to share with him. Well, his specific words were more along the lines of "what are a couple of old fuddy-duddy's like us going to do? Have a wild 'adult' party?" He had been promptly smacked by a fiercely blushing Kaede.

God she loved the way older people talked sometimes. She did find it odd though how even though the elderly priestess was embarrassed in front of Kikyo she still accepted Gramps offer. It was only Kagome though who noticed that Gramps only had one bed in his room.

Something was definitely going on between those two; she just didn't know what yet.

But she couldn't dwell on that right now. Homework needed done and reports had to be written, she would have to dwell on whatever was developing between Kaede and her Gramps later. Although she was discretely happy that they had some sort of affection for each other, they'd both been a bit down lately and Kagome was glad to see both of them happy.


"Well wench, are you gonna tell me how or broke your arm now or am I going to have to beat it out of you?"

A surprised scream escaped from the young miko who sat in the darkened living room of the Higurashi household. Finally realizing who was in the dimly lit room with her, Kagome let out a groan. All she had wanted to do was get her over-do homework done and get through the rest of the night without having to dote over the subject of her broken arm; she just hoped to God that Inuyasha didn't notice the lingering strangulation marks upon her neck that were left from his brother's little visit to Kaede's hut. The girl had thought that if she kept her bruises covered with concealer and Inuyasha busy and distracted that he would forget to ask her anymore about it. Sadly luck wasn't on her side.

Said hanyou plopped down on the couch beside her and set his usual annoyed scowl upon his handsome face. It was then that he noticed just how many papers were setting in front of Kagome. Did she usually have this much of that "homework" she keeps yacking about?

"I want to know and I mean now. You've been avoiding the subject for two days and it's time I got some answers. And what's with all the paper? You can't be that behind in those 'tests' of yours; you only came back a month ago and brought back at least half of what's laying there."

A forced smile was only part of his reply. "That's what happens when a certain hanyou takes a certain untrained miko/student's finished homework and hides it from her. Yes, that's right Inuyasha, I found your hiding place in Kaede's hut and I must say that I am very disappointed in you."

That wasn't the whole truth though, of course she knew Inuyasha could tell by her scent alone, but she wasn't ready yet to tell him that she was taking two grades at the same time to finish school faster for him. It would be a nice surprise for him at the end of the school year to learn that she had a full year free for shard hunting. (If they were still hunting for the jewel shards that is.)

Inuyasha, amazingly, just sat on his side of the couch watching the miko do her schoolwork she complained so much about. He could tell by just a glance that Kagome was tired and that she was trying to hide it, but there was something else wrong with her and he knew it.

He had noticed that when he sat down Kagome had instantly covered the side of her neck that was facing him with her hair. Not only did he find that suspicious, but it also irked him. Just what did she not want him to see? It was just moments later, thanks to whatever God's were on his side, that the young miko slipped up and flipped her hair to her opposite shoulder; revealing what she was trying so hard to hide.

Bruises marred her neck. The hanyou couldn't tell exactly how bad they were due to the dim lights, but that was soon remedied by flipping the table lamp's switch and what the extra lights had exposed made him growl.

Not only were the bruises on her neck but there were slight claw marks as well; which told him whoever had done his to her was most definitely a demon and oh were they going to pay. First he had to find out who did it.

Kagome was jostled out of her tunnel vision by the unexpected growl from Inuyasha. She hadn't even noticed that the lights had been turned on nor that she had flipped her hair to her opposite shoulder.

"I guess it's time to face the music." Boy her nerves were giving her a run for her money.

"Kagome, you better tell me right now who caused those bruises and I mean now. And why the hell didn't you tell me someone tried to choke you?" He needed to calm down and quick, Kagome could already see the outline of his demonic stripes on his cheeks and she really didn't want to have to explain to her family why there was a demonic Inuyasha running around the house.

Besides that why was he getting so upset? She'd gotten even worse wounds before and he'd never given this kind of reaction before. What made this incident any different than the others?

If only she'd known that he recognized who the handprint belonged to due to the outline that was left upon her neck. Now all he had to do was get a conformation from Kagome and he would go kill that bastard once and for all.

"There's no way in hell that that bastard will lay another his damn hand on my mate again."

Whoa, where did that come from?

"Inuyasha will you please stop growling? You're starting to scare me."

He abided Kagome's request, but that didn't mean that there wouldn't be any more growling tonight. That he was sure of.

"Now Inuyasha you've got to understand, I sort of deserved it because I insulted him and…"

"Kagome just stop beating around the bush and tell me who the hell did this to you!"

"I honestly didn't know that he was there at the time but I was so caught up in the situation with everything that happened."

"Wench I…"

He stopped then; another, no, two scents had suddenly appeared inside the Higurashi residence and assaulted his nose. Apparently, the two "special guests" outside didn't know the situation of what was going on inside the house at that moment.

If only they knew that this moment was the worst possible one to reveal themselves to the hanyou.

Inuyasha's nose was working overtime. It couldn't be true what he was scenting, but he had to be sure. Quickly he stood up and left a bewildered Kagome alone on in the living room as he followed the scent throughout the house to where it was strongest….

…Mama Higurashi's room.

Not caring whether or not he woke Arisu up or not; Inuyasha quickly opened up the door and followed his nose to the only piece of clothing that didn't fit in with the rest of the room.

A single obi lay on the floor next to Arisu's bed; one he knew all too well. Memories began to assault his mind as he slowly picked up the decorative flower encrusted obi and sniffed it before he started to become angry.

No, it couldn't be true. That bastard was probably trying to get to his sword again. Like hell would he let that happen. But there was a more pressing matter at hand. He needed to find that phony and whoever was with it – her – before it decided to hurt someone, or even worse… kill.

Another growl escaped his throat as he exited Mama Higurashi's room, intent on questioning Kagome about this new development.

"Inuyasha, are you alright honey?" Her questioned was ignored as Arisu quickly donned her robe, determined to see what all of the ruckus was about.


A hop, skip, and a jump later he was standing in front of Kagome waving the obi in front of her face.

"You better tell me right now wench and I want a straight answer; what the hell is my mother's scent doing in your house and who does the other scent belong to?"

The stripes were appearing again. Never had this happened twice in one day, Kagome was truly worried for him. She took a deep breath, readying herself to attempt to explain everything that had happened before he had gotten there. Another decided to do that for her.

"There is no need for you to speak to young Kagome in such a way. I expect your mother raised you better than that."

"And what do you know about how I was…"

What Inuyasha found when he turned around made him stop cold. The people before him certainly couldn't be real right? Wait, one of them moved, did that mean this wasn't a dream but reality?

A dainty hand gently laid itself upon his shoulder and ever so slightly squeezed in silent support before making its way to cup his cheek.

"Inu… sweetie, I think you'd better sit down."

Chapter End Notes:

A/N ~ CLIFFY! (Although I am pretty sure you guys know who it is and what's about to happen.)

Final word count (minus A/N) – 1,772

A side note - Arisu is the name I decided to give Mama Higurashi. It is the Japanese version of our "Alice" and means "of Noble sort". This is actually a key part to the story that will appear within the next ten to fifteen chapters. (Depending on how the story types out) Bet you guys can't figure out what I've got in the works!

So hope you guys like this one. Really am trying not to fill this story with nonsense but sometimes I just can't help it.

I know I am trying to get back to a regular schedule but it will be another little while before everything settles down. Dad is messing with his meds and his blood pressure is way too high – 198/96 (It's SUPPOSED to be 120/80) So yeah, we're (myself & mom) are fighting with him to take his meds. And that's just oh-so-super-neato-fun! *sarcasm people*

Will some of you please check out my other Inuyasha fanfic "If Only In Reality"? It is a fic currently told in drabbles and will be a darker fic revolving around Kagome and a couple other canon characters. There are six chapters now and what is written now will lead up to a story that I have NEVER SEEN in an Inuyasha fanfic before. Expect to use a box of Kleenex in the future folks!

PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT/REVIEW! – FLAMES WELCOMED!