- Text Size +

"Tomoko-chan? May I come over to your house today?" Mizuki asked.

"I'm sorry. My parents are busy today." Tomoko said.

"I see, what about tomorrow?" Mizuki asked.

"No." Tomoko said as she pulled back her almost white, blonde hair.

"Let me play with your hair, Tomoko-chan!!" Mizuki said as she ran behind Tomoko.

"Sure, Higurashi-san." Tomoko said.

"Please, call me Mizuki!" Mizuki said as she brushed Tomoko's hair.

It was silent for a while. Then the final bell rang for the kids to go home. Tomoko smiled and quickly walked home. Mizuki followed her friend until she reached her house. It was a nice little apartment. It was surounded by roses and voilets. Mizuki heard yelling and quickly ran away. Mizuki quickly did her homework and asked if she could go to Tomoko's house.

"Ok, do you want me or Daddy to walk you there?" Kagome asked.

"No, I can walk there all by myself!" Mizuki answered.

"Ok. I want you home by 4. You hear me?" Kagome said as Mizuki ran out the door.

It took about 10 minutes to get to Tomoko's house. Mizuki knocked on the door. Tomoko opened the door.

"What are you doing here, Higurashi-san?" Tomoko asked.

"I came to see you! You didn't look really good when you left school today." Mizuki said.

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me!" Tomoko shouted as she coughed.

"I'll take you up to your room." Mizuki said as she carried Tomoko on her back.

"Thank you, Higurashi-san." Tomoko said quietly.

"You little bastard!!!!!! How dare you!!" A woman yelled from the living room.

"Who's yelling?" Mizuki asked.

"My mommy and daddy. They fight alot. Sometimes they take it out on me." Tomoko said quietly.

"Do....do they hit you, Tomoko-chan?" Mizuki asked.

"Sometimes." Tomoko said.

"I'm sorry. Maybe I shouldn't have come." Mizuki said quietly.

"Tomoko!! Who's the little shit?!!" A man shouted.

"Daddy, this is Mizuki Higurashi. My friend." Tomoko answered quietly.

"Mizuki? What a stupid name!!" The man shouted as he threw his beer bottle toward them.

"This is getting dangerous!!" Mizuki thought as she ran up the steps into a room.

"I am sorry. Daddy is drunk...." Tomoko said.

"Tomoko-chan!! Let's run away!! You and me!" Mizuki said.

"What? I can't run away. My medical condition...." Tomoko said.

"I'll carry you!!! You're not heavy!!" Mizuki said.

"Higurashi-san. I don't wanna be a bother....besides where will we run away to?" Tomoko asked.

"Kyoto! People vist there everyday!! Nobody will find us there!!" Mizuki said.

"You'll run all the way there?" Tomoko asked.

"I'll try!!" Mizuki said proudly.

"Why do you wanna run away?" Tomoko asked.

"Mommy and Daddy say I cost them too much money. So, I'll get a job and earn my money!" Mizuki said.

"Did they tell you that?" Tomoko asked.

"No, I hear them after I go to bed."

"I see. When should we leave?" Tomoko asked.

"A week from now. It would help us get prepared." Mizuki said.

"Ok, is there anything I can do?" Tomoko asked.

"Save up on money and food." Mizuki said.

"Ok! I'll try my hardess!!" Tomoko said.

"Great! I have to go now. Mommy told me I have to be home at 4." Mizuki said as she left the room.

"Bye, Higurashi-san!" Tomoko said.