- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I didn't really read this one over too well, so I didn't give a crap how well it came out. This isn't too important of a chapter. The next one will be a really big one, so make sure to read it!

   

 

    Inuyasha's eyes were in front of me when I awoke. But not just in front of me, right up in my face. "You up yet?" He asked innocently.
    I jumped back and let out a girly wail. "Well I am now!" I sounded a little frustrated, which I wasn't.
    "I'll take that as a yes." He seemed to be acting himself again. I sighed, knowing what that would entail.
    Sango laughed harshly, but happily behind me. I could hear snorts errupting from Miroku and Shippou too, as if they were trying to hold their laughter back. My heart was still racing from the startlement of being awoken with a pair of golden eyes in my face.
    I stood up shakily, feeling my own laughter building up in my chest. "What's with you?" I asked.
    Inuyasha gave me a blank look. "What do you mean?"
    I exhaled impatiently, a smile still on my face. "Why were you staring at me until I woke up?"
    "Well you told me our conversation would continue later, so I figured it was later now."
    "So you had to stare at me?"
    "Well I had to do somethin'!"
    I blinked. There was no way to respond to that. The only possible response I could give to him was staring wide eyed like an idiot. Watching me sleep must have been entertaining. Either that or it was just something he did a lot. The only problem was that it made me feel weird inside, knowing that if I said anything or did anything, he would definately know.
    He grabbed me by my wrist and dragged me hastily out of the hut. I couldn't even keep up with him. He looked almost angry, contrasting with how he was treating me last night. Maybe he was making up for being so "weak" as he would say. That Inuyasha.
    "Slow down would you! You're going to rip my arm off!" I yelled at him.
    "Then hurry up." Yup, he was back to normal all right.
    We stopped by the well, and he sat on the edge. I was hesitant to do the same. I wasn't sure what he was going to do, or what he was even thinking. He seemed upset, that's for sure.
    "What's your deal!" I was growing frustrated.
    "Keh, I don't know what you're talking about." He wouldn't meet my eyes.
    "You're throwing me around like I'm a paper doll! Why are you so upset!"
    "Because you're hiding somethin'! I know you are, you're a horrible liar!" He stood up, "What aren't you tellin' me!"
    That caught me off guard. I thought Sango had told him everything already. I guess I was wrong. But there was no way I could tell him about anything now. The only things I could tell him were the things he already knew. I couldn't risk getting him any angrier, or he would lose it.
    "Kagome!" I was taking to long to respond.
    "I'm not hiding anything! I already told you everything yesterday! I was upset about seeing you and Kikyo together, and now I'm over it." I tried to turn away, but he grabbed my wrists and forced me to face him.
    His face began to pale, as though he had forgotten I had seen anything. "Well, w-what did you see?"
    "All I saw was the two of you kissing. I didn't intend on sticking around after that, so if anything else happened, I assure you I had vacated the scene before that." I broke his grip and crossed my arms.
    "Look, it wasn't what it may have looked like!"
    "Forget it. I already told you, I'm over it." I began walking away.
    For the third time, he caught my wrist. The skin was still tender from the cut I had made barely two days ago. I was very uncomfortable with him so close to touching the scab. I was still trying to make sure he didn't find out.
    "Why are you so upset?" His tone was beginning to soften, but was still flustered.
    "I'm not upset!" I was trying not to sound defensive, but I could tell it wasn't working.
    "Yes you are. What's  your problem, never mind mine. Sango mentioned somethin' was wrong, and I know that it wasn't just seeing me with Kikyo."
    "Sango doesn't know anything. All that happened was I saw you kissing Kikyo, I freaked out and left. Nothing else happened!"
    He tightened his grip on my wrist when I tried to walk away again. This made me flinch, and it alerted him to something, though I wasn't sure what. I knew it had to do with my wrist. His fingers had already brushed my scab.
    Next thing I knew, he was pulling my sleeve that was hiding the scab up. He was going to see it. I wasn't sure what he would think, what he would do.
    "What's this?" His voice sounded like it was unsure whether to be angry or concerned.
    "It's just a scab." I pulled my wrist back, rubbing the sensitive skin. "When I was leaving I tripped and fell, because I was crying and couldn't see."
    That lie sounded so real to me. It sounded almost believable. But Inuyasha didn't look convinced. He was the expert on lying here, so he could probably see right through me. Though in his eyes, I could tell part of him wanted to believe me, either so he didn't start another fight, or that it would take away the thoughts of me harming myself.
    "Kagome, there's no way you did this by falling. The line is too perfect. Tell me what really happened." His voice was softer now, but it was still loud and harsh.
    I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't know if I should tell him or not. The logical thing to do would to be put an end to all of the lies and fabrications. That I would be better off with him knowing. But logic has a price, and the price would be Inuyasha's scorn. I didn't want to feel dejected.
    "I did it to myself." I mumbled.
    The look on his face was uncomprehensible. It was like he wasn't sure to be relieved I wasn't lying, or upset that he was right. Because I knew what he was thinking, it was written all over his face. He was at a loss for words.
    "Before you freak out, I'm fine now. I've overcome the part of me that wants to harm myself. The morning after I had done it I realized how dumb it was, and Sango helped me resurface. Im fine."
    He still looked like he didn't know what to say. "Kagome... I... I had my suspicions but... Why?"
    "I don't know, really. I was so distraught at the sight of you and Kikyo, that I just lost it. I don't know what came over me, but that's behind me now. So let's please move on." I tried to smile for him.
     He peered deep into my eyes, stroking the still-sore scab. Again, he was being comforting. It was very odd, but it was nice.
    It felt better now that he knew. I felt relieved I didn't have to hide. Though on the other hand, I knew it would all change, and that nothing would be the same, but it was nice to not have to fake it, or lie mediocrely through it.
    I just nodded and began to head back to the field where Sango showed me yesterday. In high hopes, I thought Inuyasha would follow me, and stay with me for a little while. I wasn't sure, but I didn't hear his footsteps and was a little disheartened to know he wasn't following behind.
    When I reached the field I looked amongst the flowers in the brighter, happier, buttery afternoon sunlight glistening through the clearing. I looked back to see Inuyasha not far behind, and my joy heightened. Something about this field, like Sango had said, took all my worries away. I found the spot where I was yesterday, and curled up. Maybe I would nap.