- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow, it's been a really long time, so sorry about that. I was planning on keeping a consistant chapter update every day, but that clearly didn't happen for over a month. Really truly sorry, but with exams coming up I make no promises of things coming out on a great schedule. But for summer, I'm planning on at least every week you'll get a new chapter, so look foreward to it. Back to business, I'm pretty sure this chapter is a bit shorter than the others are, but it's a pretty important stepping stone into the really important chapters coming up and stuff. So enjoy!

 

 

    My eyes were growing to be heavy. Sango had stayed with me for a while before returning to the others, constantly asking if it was alright. Of course, I agreed. The lush grass was enough to comfort me for now.
    Tiredness was overwhelming me. I knew I should head back, but I didn't want to see him yet. I wasn't ready to talk to him, even though my heart had slowed down. It was almost like a foggy state I was sitting in, where I wasn't mad at him, or upset, but I still felt something bittersweet flitting beneath the surface.
    Soft winds were rustling the flowers, the moonlight accenting their petals. It had to be getting very late. If I was lucky, Inuyasha would already be asleep and wouldn't even want to talk. But then again, if he was on edge enough, he would be waiting up for me. I'm not sure which would make me more upset. I'm so silly.
    If he were waiting up for me, I would be mad. I wouldn't want to talk to him, and it would make me have to talk about what's been going. I can't lie to him. But on the other hand, if he had gone to sleep, it would make me feel dejected. It would make me feel as though he didn't even care, or that he wasn't worried enough about me to wait for me. It was a lose lose situation.
    Maybe, I wouldn't even be upset. Weighing out my options now made me feel better. I guess knowing my feelings makes it easier to coast through them.
    I pulled myself up onto my feet, feeling stronger. Yes, I would go back now. I had to, it was dark and dangerous. I was surprised Sango or someone else hadn't come looking for me already.
    My feet dragged along the trail in the way we had come. The sound of my shoes scraping against the dirt and rocks usually made me cringe. To me it was like nails on a chalkboard, or scraping metal. Today it was hardly even a bother. Then again I was exauhsted.
    By the time the hut was in sight, I was already stumbling in jagged lines. I was ready to fall over and sleep where I was. But I knew I had to keep pushing myself foreward, I had to keep going. I just had to...
    The blurrier my vision became, the slower I moved. It was like the ground was shaking me, trying to make sure I was trudging around in a blind stupor. I wasn't going to make it, there was no way now.
    Alas, I managed to stagger in through the entry-way of the hut. I shuffled in loudly, my heavy aching feet practically stomping on the floor. I felt bad, for I was probably waking everyone up, but all I longed to do was close my eyes and sleep.
    Someone caught my arm before I slipped to the ground, but I couldn't tell who it was. My eyes wouldn't focus, and my body was sagging with tension. Their grip was firm, yet comforting. I fell into their arms.
    "Are you okay?" A voice whispered to me, keeping low.
    I was trying to nod, and I was hoping it was coming across clearly, but my neck was so stiff I wasn't sure if it was even moving. I looked up, trying to take in their face, see who was holding me, and all I saw was silver hair. By that mark, I knew who it was.
    In fact, I wasn't as repulsed or angry as I thought I would be. Maybe it was just the tiredness talking, but I was sort of glad. That he was here, and he cared. That was all that mattered at this point.
    Inuyasha swept me up, carrying me bridal-style in his arms out of the hut. I wondered where we were going. Where could he be taking me?
    "I know you're tired, but I think we should talk." He set me down. It was so fast it hardly felt like we moved at all.
    I opened my eyes to see us high up in Inuyasha's tree he liked to sit in. He was being so unusually polite and kind. I guess he was trying to suck up, or soften my feelings. Sango must have told him. That should upset me, or at least it usually does. But not today. I was too calm. This was anger to be felt in the morning.
    "Look, I know you didn't really go see Totosai. I know that you were here with Kikyo." I told him. Or at least, that's what I was trying to say, that may not have been what came out. I sounded relatively strong.
    He didn't look surprised. "Yeah. Sango and Miroku saw me too. I was on my way to see him, but Kikyo stopped me. She managed to rope me into one of her 'talks'."
    It was hard to tell if he was trying to lie or not. As he droned on, I couldn't help but wonder if he was only being soft with me because Sango warned him I was fragile. If she hadn't, he would probably be yelling and fighting with me. Maybe he just didn't want to wake people up.
    "I know you're probably really mad, but in my defence-"
    "It's okay. I'm not mad." I closed my eyes and hid my face in his shoulder. I figured if I did this he would let me sleep.
    "But Sango said-"
    I knew it. She told him. Anger was trying to spark within me, but I was so burnt out I didn't give a care.
    "I was upset before, but I'm fine now. We should continue this later. I'm tired."
    He didn't say anything. He didn't even move. I wasn't sure if he was shocked at my passive-agressiveness, or if he wanted me to sleep right then and there. Although in the state I was in, I wasn't about to hold on for much longer. So I stopped worrying about it, and let myself sleep where we were.

Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.