- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Things are going to start getting a bit more humorous and happier and such from this point on, so brace yourself for my bad sense of humor!

 

 

    I looked down, not meeting her eyes as she kneeled down to face me. I studied the scab and tried to make it appear that I didn't know what she was talking about. I was trying to make myself believeable.
    "Kagome, answer me," She said firmly, "where did you get this?"
    "Oh, that," I said, trying to make it sound like nothing, "I just tripped and fell yesterday. You know, clumsy me."
    I could tell by the look on her face that she wasn't buying it. She didn't believe me. Not that I had expected her to. I mean, Sango's smart enough to know when I'm lying. Then again, most people were. She was just the only one who wasn't afraid to confront me about it.
    To my surprise, she just nodded and accepted my lie. I was dumbfounded. She was one of the last people I had expected to believe me. Sango wasn't gullable.
    "I'm going to head back now," She told me, looking deep into my eyes once more, "are you going to be alright here?"
    "Uh, yeah, I'm okay." I was trying to be convincing, again. I could tell it still wasn't working too well.
    Sango stood up and walked off. I grabbed my knees and pulled them into my chest, closing my eyes. I was listening to the sound of Sango's footsteps, growing fainter and fainter with each step away she took. The sound of the water flowing around me soon took over my ears and I knew she was gone.
    When I reached back into my bag to feel for my razor, I thought about what had just happened. Did I really want to subject myself to these lies, and constant stories? I shook my head. Of course I didn't.  Nobody wanted it, they just sort of fell into it and became trapped into the hole without any sight of a way out.  Unfortunately, I may have already dug my way into it and dove into it headfirst.
    I gripped the handle, weighing out my options. Though I could feel good all the time, I wasn't sure if I was able to control it. I wasn't sure if it was something I was capable of maintaning without huge flaws. Maybe I didn't want to feel good all the time, maybe I just wanted a reason to feel bad.
    As I thought about it, I realized that option may not have been so absurd. I craved the endorphins, and seeing all of the blood drip from my undeserving veins. But at the same time, I was bringing all of this hiding and lying upon myself that brought down my high. Maybe that's what I really craved.
    I looked down at my pink-handled razor. The blades were glistening in the moonlight. It almost sickened me to think like this, but it was a part of myself I couldn't contain. It was now going to be something I would have to deal with every day from here on.
    In a burst of courage, I threw the razor as hard as I could, and watched it drop into the water with a splash. I almost felt relieved that the temptation wouldn't have to be there. Although, now I wouldn't have anything to shave my legs with. Great thinking, Kagome.
    After washing my hair, I felt calm enough to head back. I gathered my things slowly, and dried my skin off. I took my time though, not allowing a single drop of water remain on the surface. My skin was soft, smooth. It smelled good, as well. I enjoyed feeling the skin against my equally soft and sensitive fingertips, letting goose-bumps raise as they trailed.
    As soon as every inch of me was dry except for my hair, I dressed myself leisurely, still attempting to buy myself time. There was still a small mass of fear in me that worried about Sango's knowledge. I knew for a fact that she knew I was lying. I also knew that if she knew something was wrong, she wouldn't hesitate to share it with the others. Though I knew she was only trying to help me, it angered me when people shared something about me. It didn't matter what it was either, it just bothered me.
    I sighed and began to tread back to Kaede's hut. I was feeling different than I had when I had come to the onsen. It was almost as if I had washed away the part of me that craved to have my skin split in allowance of blood to spill onto my skiin. Instead, that layer had left me with a bittersweet feeling hanging heavy on my heart. It was mostly the aftermath of seeing what I had. Mostly being the keyword.
    When I stepped into the hut, I blindly placed my bag and my towel down by my sleeping my bag. I could feel everyones eyes on me, burning my skin with their stares. But I paid them no mind, running a hand through my drying hair. I just had to remind myself to breathe, and breathe deeply. That was the only way I could avoid nervousness.
    I looked up to see that there was nobody inside. They must have all been out around the town or something. A heavy sigh of relief and feeling of stupidity escaped my lips and I peaked my head outside the hut.
    "Hey Kagome!" I heard someone call to me. But not just anyone. It was him.
    Somehow, I managed to keep a cool composure. I didn't show the way my heart felt as if it had just exploded, or that a sudden onset of tears were threatening to build and overflow my eyes. I didn't let anything become apparent on my face.
    Instead of setting my eyes on him, I stepped out of the hut and looked above him so it looked as if I was staring straight at him. I tried to smile, but my face wouldn't let the muscles move that way. That only made sense, seeing as all I wished to do was frown. And cry.
    "How are you?" He asked, in a force of politeness. He appeared to be trying to hide something, though it was no wonder what it was.
    Horrible, absolutely horrible. "Just fine, thank you." I said mirroring his tone. "How was Totosai?"
    "He was about as good as that old man could be. Though I guess if you could measure his happiness by the amount of time he yelled or complained at me, then I suppose he's doing great.
    I managed to choke out a garbled laugh that sounded awkward and stupid. You could tell it was completely fake. The only thing I could pray for from this point was that I didn't cry and lose the little barrier of what was wrong only to myself. That was becoming harder and harder as it felt like my lungs were collapsing from all of the pushing my racing heart did on them. I hoped Inuyasha didn't think too much of the sound of my heartbeat.
    "Are you okay? You look upset or somethin'."
    "I'm just fine." My voice was beginning to sound fake and high pitched. I was blinking trying to hold back my tears.
    "Okay." He shrugged, and walked right past me into the hut.
    My breath caught in my throat as he brushed against my arm. I felt the tears slowly break through my force of trying to keep them from slipping through. Soon enough, there were tears streaming from my face.
    There were footsteps coming closer to me. I shut my eyes tightly trying to stop my tears and avoid seeing who was nearing me. When the footsteps stopped, someone slipped their hand over one of my balled fists and led me away. I opened my eyes. It was Sango.
    She was bringing me further away from the hut, and we were venturing through the forest. There was a knowing look in her eyes, as if she was bringing me to a spot that would help ease my worries. Sango's grip loosened when she realized that I wasn't going to try and break away from her.
    We stopped in a field. There were flowers clustered near the back half of the grass. There were no trees in the middle either, just tall orchids and soft ankle-length, green grass. She let out a happy sigh as she closed her eyes and kicked off her sandals.
    "I come here whenever I get upset with Miroku. Kirara and I lay in the grass and I talk while she listens for hours. Sometimes I don't speak, and we just take in the sights around us. I thought this place would help cheer you up." She spoke gently.
    I was still taking in the sights in awe. The beauty of it was so raw and untampered with, which was so hard to come by in my time. Everything was all buildings and pavement. The only greenery was amplified and perfected in parks and such. This was perfect in an imperfect way. I already felt myself let go of my worries.
    "I understand why you did this to yourself, Kagome," She proceeded, "I've thought about, and even considered, something like that myself many times. I felt as though it was my body and I shouldn't have to worry about what others thought. But I knew how wrong it was to do a thing like that to myself. Because even though I was the only one feeling the cut, I wasn't the only one feeling the pain, or the only one being hurt."
    Again, she had astounded me. But before I could react any farther, or respond, she swept me up in a tight hug. I returned the hug and placed my chin on her shoulder.
    "You'll be okay," She whispered, stroking my hair.
    Somehow, today, right here, I believed that maybe I could be okay.

Chapter End Notes:
*Remember, critisism is good. Don't be afraid to use it.