- Text Size +
What do you mean you can’t do anything?!”

The elderly man nearly fell over as he darted back before Seichi’s fist hit the desk. The wood bowed under the force.

“I’m sorry, Seichi-sama, but I’m afraid that it’s out of my hands…!”

“You’re the reason she was out there in the first place!! I told you a thousand times that she wasn’t ready, and still put her name on that damned roster anyway!!” Seichi snapped back. He realized belatedly that his temper was reaching a dangerous level and stormed out of the tiny office.

The neighboring employees watched him storm away with looks of fear on their faces. He recognized most of them from school. The Final Exam had gone better than expected, and no one had died, unless you counted Mizuko.

And of course, these damn idiots don’t have the backbone to go and ask the fuckin’ Taishou to set up a search party! He thought angrily.

“Um…Seichi-sama…?” Seichi turned to glare at the person and saw a timid-looking young woman standing behind him. She had long black hair and dark brown eyes, but her demeanor reminded him a lot of Mizuko. She fumbled nervously with her wire-frame glasses

“Um…the T-Taishou wishes to see you…in h-his o-office…” she stammered, unable to look directly at him.

Seichi growled under his breath and stomped over to the nearest elevator. I liked it better when the ol’man barely managed a phone call once a month. He thought angrily as he quickly hit the button. The elevator jerked and then slowly rose up the floors until he reached the last one.

The hall was dimly lit, with only one door at the opposite end. He walked calmly down the hall and pulled open the door. The inside of the room was darker than the hallway.

“What is it now, dad?” Seichi asked irritably. He purposely slammed the door shut behind him. If there was anything he knew about his father, it was that he demanded respect and secrecy. And those were things Seichi enjoyed disrupting.

His father didn’t say anything though. He remained silent as he stood beside the immaculate window, pouring wine into a glass. He had black hair like Seichi’s, but his eyes were a different color: a musty brown. Seichi was almost positive that he got his eyes from his mother.

The silence finally tore down Seichi’s patience. “Why did you have that nervous-wreak secretary tell me to come up here?! If you have nothing to say to me, then I’ll be on my way.”

He heard the sound of glass shattering. He looked back as a thin stream of red liquid flowed from his father’s hand; he couldn’t tell if it was blood or the wine.

“I wouldn’t have need to if you weren’t causing chaos over that stupid girl.” The Taishou said coldly. “It was her fault for not paying attention. I’m surprised she was only abducted and not slaughtered.”

Seichi’s eyes widened. “…It was you. You’re the one who added her name to the roster.” He said, a bit of horror in his voice.

“That girl’s hardly of importance. It’s better that she was ‘removed’ early.” The Taishou said shrugging.

Seichi’s self-control snapped and he lunged at his father. The Taishou easily dodged his son’s ‘flimsy’ attempt and restrained him, his eyes flashing violently. Seichi flinched in pain and clutched at his shoulder.

“It’s time you learned your place, boy.” He said menacingly. Seichi glared at him, trying to resist his father’s grip. He pulled his arm free and stormed out of the office. If there was one thing he hated more than the old man being around, it was the old man acting like he had Seichi wrapped around his finger.

No one had any power over him, and especially not his father.

If no one’s going to help, then I’ll just have to go and rescue Mizuko myself he thought grimly. Getting around the guards would be a cinch. It was actually finding Mizuko that’d be a challenge.

“…Seichi…?”

He glanced back and saw Tsukiko standing behind him. She looked even worse than when he’d seen her yesterday after the Exams.

“Did you get help?” she asked anxiously. Seichi could tell that she’d hardly slept since he told her about Mizuko’s disappearance.

“No. Everyone seems more content with just erasing her from the records.” Seichi grumbled. That turned out to be the wrong thing to say, because Tsukiko started sobbing uncontrollably. Seichi sighed and tried to comfort her. “Don’t worry. I’m going to search for her by myself. So stop crying, ok?”

She looked up at him. “But…what if something bad happens to you too…?” she asked worriedly.

“Don’t worry. There isn’t a demon alive that’s too tough for me…” Seichi said with a confident smirk.

Tsukiko smiled slightly, but she only seemed half-convinced.

“Now go wait back at the house. I’ll call when I find Mizuko.” He said. She nodded and went back towards the apartment she’d shared with Mizuko. Seichi sighed. At least Tsukiko would be appeased for now.

I hate to see her so upset…but there’s nothing else I can do for her at this point…he thought to himself. Or at least nothing I can tell her anyway…

He sighed again. This guilt was starting to really wear him down. He shouldn’t have taken his eyes off Mizuko for even a second. She had been relying on him to keep her safe, and he had let her down. She’d always depended on him to protect her. Their relationship had always been like that, ever since they were kids.

Mizuko had never been very popular in school, and the boys always picked on her.

Give it back!”

The group of boys laughed as their leader dangled a doll in front of a little girl’s face. “If you want it so bad, then come and get it, shortie.” The boy taunted. Mizuko looked like she was about to cry as she jumped up to try and reclaim her doll. The boy tossed it to one of his friends and then tripped Mizuko when she tried to follow.

She hit her face on the pavement, and trembled as she tried to stop herself from crying. The boys all laughed.

Aww. Did the baby fall down and get a ‘boo-boo’?” one teased. Then he let out a gasp of pain and shock. Mizuko looked up as her doll went flying and landed in the outstretched hand of a new boy.

Stupid kid! No one shoves Akito like that!” one of the standing boys yelled angrily. The new boy glared at them. A look of absolute terror flooded each of their faces and the boys all ran.

He glanced around and spotted the young girl on the ground; his expression softened to one of almost sympathy. “Hey, are you alright, Mizuko?” he asked worriedly. The girl looked up at him, slightly confused. “I’m Seichi, remember? We met at my father’s house almost a month ago…” He saw a flash of recognition cross her face, and he smiled. He glanced down at the doll in his hand and held it out to her. “Here you go. You’d better hurry home before those boys come back.”

Mizuko nodded, suddenly smiling happily.

Ok. Thank you, Seichi!!” she said with a big grin. Then she ran off.

Seichi laughed quietly to himself; it had been almost 14 years since that day. Mizuko was a lot younger than I was back then, so she probably doesn’t even remember that day at all…he thought to himself as he kicked a crunched can down the sidewalk. He frowned in irritation. The more he thought about Mizuko, the harder it became to shake off the gnawing anxiety. Was Mizuko alright?? Was she even still alive??

I’m sure she’s alright…she may be a chicken at times, but Mizuko’s more than able to take care of herself he thought confidently. She’s probably scared out of her wits though…just hang on a bit longer, Mizuko, I’ll be there soon.

He ran towards his house and grabbed his halberd and a rucksack he’d prepped before going to the SNT Headquarters.

“Master Seichi, where are you going?” one of the maids asked.

“I’m going to find Mizuko. If I’m not back within two days, have Tsukiko moved to the manor. Take care of whatever she needs. I left her address in the kitchen.” He said with more confidence than he should’ve been capable of. Then he sprinted out of the manor and towards the northern gate. It wasn’t as heavily guarded as the other three. As expected, there were no guards on duty.

Using his halberd to launch himself, he jumped over the electric fence and landed on the other side. Then he took off into the forest to find Mizuko…and face whatever else was in there…