- Text Size +

"Where is Sesshoumaru?" Sango asked curiously as went back to bouncing her ball.

Kagome rolled her eyes wondering why everyone cared about Sesshoumaru's whereabouts. He wasn't exactly the friendliest man in the world, and they weren't anywhere close to being a couple. Kouga was her boyfriend, so shouldn't they've been doing the same as her and asking where he was?

"He went back home," Kagome said, "his work here is done even though I've never seen him doing anything other than annoying me."

"So you're going to stay home now? Mom said you can't go out without a friend."

She glared at her little sister, "Mom also said to remind you that you're adopted anytime you stick your nose into my business."

Her sister glared, "My dad is dead, so I can do whatever I want because its my way of acting out."

"You went to one meeting with a grief counselor and you think you can talk your way out of everything."

"Kagome be nice to your sister," Kikyo came into the room with a few boxes and a nice green handbag.

"A Gucci purse?" Kagome questioned, "how'd you steal that out from under Kagura's nose?"

"It's a knockoff," she smiled, "I got you one as well, but speaking of that bitch I think she's running her mouth about me. I can't get anything. It doesn't matter though. We have our health and I got a job sewing and replicating these designs for the fake handbags."

"Isn't that kind of trashy?"

"Is turning your cell phone back on trashy?"

"No."

"Glad we agree, and since all this stuff is underground no one will find out about it so our reputation is saved."

Kagome nodded as she went on to the balcony and looked out into the city. Though she didn't care for Sesshoumaru in the way everyone thought she did her days would be long and boring without him.

"Mom come on," Kagome wined, "there has to be something free to do out there, and I can take Sango and make a day of it. I just have to get out of this apartment!"

"After you got lost a few nights ago? And this time you plan on losing your sister with you?"

Kagome convinced her by revealing that though there was no service Sango's phone still had GPS on it and they would be fine. With a digital map in one hand and a knock off purse in the other Kagome took off to find a museum or something.

"Do I have to be like you?" Sango asked her sister as they went to look at local artwork.

"What do you mean?"

"All mom and Kaede talk about is who you're going to marry. Will I be the same?"

"You? Sango, the girl who runs through the yard in bare feet with snakes in her hand? Doubt it."

"What if a guy ask me?"

"Punch him," Kagome simply said, "who needs a man anyway? They're all worthless?"

Kouga was, of course, on Kagome's mind again. She was going to give a few more days before somehow sending a message, and if there was no response it was over. It would hurt because she didn't take the confession of love too lightly, but she had to keep herself on the market. Obviously he wasn't interested and she wouldn't continue to be the desperate girl.

"Stay in school," Kagome simply told Sango, "I know the public school isn't too fun, but a diploma is a diploma."

"Kagome," Sango called out a while after her hand was let go.

"The way me and mom live is pathetic Sango and you have to break the cycle."

"Kagome!"

By the time Sango's urgent warning reached Kagome's ears it was too late. Kagome had wondered out into the street thinking the light was green. Needless to say a car had been racing in her direction and stopped too late. The impact wasn't fatal, but it sent Kagome rolling over the hood and back on to the pavement. It had happened so fast that before she knew it she was looking up at the sky feeling pain surge through her body.

"No one touch her," commanded a stern voice.

Before blacking out she saw a familiar pair of golden eyes. Despite her unwillingness to be with Sesshoumaru he did manage to save her a lot.

- - - - - - - - -

"If I were you I'd close my eyes," a male voice commanded Kagome the moment she found herself back in the apartment, "your mom is threatening to kill you."

"Stupid girl," she indeed heard Kikyo in the other room, "what if it was something worse? We don't have health insurance and what if something had happened to Sango?"

Kagome shut her eyes tightly again, "Good advice. So who are you?"

"Inuyasha," he simply said, "someone who was driving by minding his own business when some stupid girl decided to run out in the middle of the street on a green light. Is that a good introduction?"

"Hey I didn't see any cars when I crossed," Kagome was up now and ready to plead her case, "and the shopping center wasn't surrounded by sidewalks or anything like that so how was I suppose to know I was going out into the road. It's the city's fault."

"It's your fault for not using your eyes idiot."

Kagome was ready to go off on him until she got a good look at Inuyasha. His eyes were almost the same color as Sesshoumaru's, but they had a warmer look to them. Overall he was pretty hot and the bad boy look on his face did him justice.

"Kagome if I were you I wouldn't say one word!" Kikyo glared when she noticed her daughter was up, "this is the last time I trust you out alone."

"I wouldn't trust you either," Inuyasha wasn't helping.

Since she was in the presence of a stranger Kikyo quickly mined her manners and cast a smile at the newcomer, "So Inuyasha I don't believe I have thanked you enough. Can you stay for dinner?"

Inuyasha shook his head, "I have an appointment in an hour."

"An hour is a long time," Kagome quickly said.

It was hard to explain, but Kagome didn't want her savior to leave despite the unsettled argument about what she was doing in the middle of the street. When she set eyes on him all thoughts about Kouga quickly left her.

"Are you single?"

"Kagome mind your manners! What kind of question is that?"

Inuyasha just smirked almost reminding her of Kouga in a way, "Really Kagome you should mind your manners. If you want me that bad you can wait until tomorrow. I do have to check up on you after all."

She laughed, "I would think so since you tried to run me over."

" Last time I checked jay walking is a crime- uh, Kagome was it?"

She nodded, her spirits being lifted up as he walked out of the room, because she knew he would return.

"Mom."

"Idiot child?"

"Do you believe in love at first sight?"

"Kagome no-

"Mom-

"You said that about Kouga, and look what happened. He hasn't written or attempted to call or do anything. You need to stop falling head over heels for these young men and go for the ones that care about your wellbeing."

"He brought me home didn't he?"

"After running you over."

"It was my fault."

Kikyo shook her head at the girl. She'd only known Inuyasha for a few seconds, and already her attitude was doing a complete 360. After all, since when did Kagome take responsibility for her foolish actions?

"Kagome," Kikyo sat on the couch wondering when her daughter would notice that her leg was in a cast, "I'm just looking out for you."

"And I've been looking out for this family. I have to marry a good guy in order to save our family name, and if I have to do that I'm at least going to marry a guy close to my own age that I'm attracted to."

"I know. That would be a fair trade off, but when I seen you with Sesshoumaru you smiled a lot and acted more responsible, and I'm afraid that if you get with someone like Inuyasha you-

"Will act my own age? I've been being responsible, and I've stopped drinking and everything, but it's not getting me anywhere!"

"Your acting impatient."

"Well I- Kaede!"

Kikyo's cousin had walked in at that moment to invite them to coffee, and looked shocked by Kagome's yelling.

"Yes girl?" she asked curiously.

"Do you know an Inuyasha?"

Kaede frowned before sitting down, "Sesshoumaru's brother? Yes he comes into the city once a year."

So that explained why they almost looked alike. Kagome smiled at it though. Maybe it was a sign. Maybe Sesshoumaru's purpose in her life was to get her ready for meeting Inuyasha, who would probably become the love of her life and eventually her husband. Perhaps she wasn't acting rational by already wanting to be with this stranger forever, but her heart wanted what it wanted.

"It's a sign," she made sure to tell her mother, "me and Inuyasha are meant to be."

"Kaede yell at her or something," Kikyo sighed, "she is already thinking of her wedding with this Inuyasha guy."

Kaede shook her head. This would cause trouble.

"First we take the girl's pain killers away," she announced making Kagome realize what bad of shape she is, "they are making her light headed."

Kaede hoped that it was indeed the pills Kagome was on that was making her act so irrational. Sesshoumaru had gone back home to tie up some loose ends before coming back to propose to Kagome. It wouldn't have been a problem at all if she had fallen for some other guy, because like Sesshoumaru said before he had no competition, but his brother could cause problems. Especially since there was a rumor going around that Inuyasha had done something so terrible Sesshoumaru no longer considered himself related to the fiend.