- Text Size +

Kikyo had a smile on her face ever since announcing she and her daughters would finally be leaving their former home. Kagura, who no longer had the right to treat them like shit anymore, had been sitting in the media room watching Kikyo. She had to make sure nothing that was rightfully hers disappeared from her room. The precious laptops and DVD collection was all she had to worry about now, because she'd already been successful in making sure none of the expensive linens or good china went missing. They would be moving into a hotel, so there was no reason they should even be packing.

"So going to Tokyo then?" Kouga sighed going into the media room where Kikyo was packing a few books, still under Kagura's supervision.

Kikyo nodded, "Nothing is keeping us here and the city is where all the action is."

He frowned, but Kikyo put her hand on his shoulder. She'd decided to move them out quickly so they could gain their independence, but sadly that meant placing a rift between Kagome and Kouga. As far as she knew the two would continue to date, but if it didn't work out Kagome would have much more of a chance to find love in the city.

"I'm sure you'll find yourself out there often," Kikyo spoke wanting Kagura to know this move had nothing to do with Kouga, "and you are welcome at anytime. You can easily grab a suite next door and spend the night, or hell, a month if you wish."

Kouga smirked, "Will do."

The sound of Kagura grinding her teeth could be heard if one listened close enough.

"Kouga," Kagome walked into the room and gave him a kiss, "Why don't you just come with us? You can help us move and we could have that drink."

Kagome wanted more than just the drink. They wanted to take things slow before, but by this point she was convinced Kouga was the man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. They were about to experience a temporary long distance relationship, so Kagome wanted to leave a long lasting impression.

"Kouga," Kagura snapped, "don't even think about it. You promised me you would help me pick out a birthday present for mom."

Kouga, who knew what Kagome wanted to do, didn't even spare his sister a glance.

"Pick out whatever she wants. I don't care, just throw my name on it."

"These girls will have a moving crew and will remain in the city for a while, but our mother is on borrowed time."

Kouga sighed, "Sorry Kagome, but once you move in you're going to call me, and I am going to have that 'drink' with you."

Kikyo had decided to leave the two alone, and Kagura disgusted by the sight of those two together soon followed.

"Why does Kagome have to be your family's savior?"

"Excuse me?" Kikyo asked.

"You can't support your family because you can't work, so why not encourage Kagome to work and have self-respect while you latch on to another rich man and drain him of all his worth?"

Kikyo smiled, because now it was time. Tomorrow morning they would move into the city faraway from this place, and Naraku wasn't paying for any of it therefore nothing was being held over them. That meant Kikyo could finally tell the bitch off.

"I didn't latch on to my husband for money. I assisted him in taking care of his household and having two beautiful daughters. I had my own money until your bitch of a friend cried about a broken that was badly designed for her because she liked about her shoe size. Kagome has decided to do the same thing as me and create a happy home for a suitable husband. True, she is smart and talented, but she made this decision when she dropped out of school.

Now you on the other hand were only blessed with the talent of walking in a straight line and starving yourself. You knew your looks would fade so you married a weak man who would eventually not be able to stand the sight of you. Now, say one more thing about my daughters and I might one day announce the name of Kanna and your baby's real father."

Kagura just remained there, mouth wide open as Kikyo got ready to finally leave this place. The moment Kagome and Kouga departed the last signs of happiness that were left in the home would be gone for good.

"So you're seriously going to blow me off to hang out with Kagura?" Kagome sighed.

He nodded, "I have to go back home. I have stuff to take care of."

"Stuff?"

He lightly kissed Kagome's forehead, "Don't worry about it babe. I'll visit you soon."

He was about to part, but Kagome had grabbed his hand. What had come over her lately? This was not how a proper young lady acted, but she couldn't help it. She loved Kouga and he was about to walk out the door.

"Kagome?"

"Kouga," she seemed angry with this, but tried to remain calm, "this is our last day together. Do you want to go up to my room?"

For a moment he looked as though he was going to consider it, but he shook his head. Something was stopping him from taking her, and she was beginning to think it wasn't love.

"I thought we agreed to take things slow," he frowned letting go, "I don't need sex to keep wanting you."

"So you're not breaking up with me?"

Kouga laughed to himself, "You're looking a little desperate Kagome, but I like it when girls beg for me on their knees."

She frowned before he stroked her cheek, "My heart is still yours. I just need to go off on a few things and I want you to be happy. Just spend some time with yourself."

She nodded. Maybe she did need a little time to herself. She thought about the cocaine she denied and remembered her goals. Not only did she need to fulfill her duty by supporting her family with a good marriage, but she needed to grow up. It would be hard though since she'd found the perfect match just to be separated already. It wasn't fair.

Kouga led her out into the living room staring at the piano as he put his jacket on, "So while I'm gone you can always become a major recording artist and make me jealous with all the guys that will want you."

"I wish," she laughed, "I can play, but my voice is horrible."

"Doubt it," he smiled before kissing her one more time, "give it a try and make your song about the love of your life walking out the door, and then he comes back."

"Sounds kind of corny," she commented.

He rolled his eyes, "Then you have a corny life Kagome. Sorry."

Kouga finally left her after giving her one more glance. Perhaps it was best they took a break from each other. Who knew maybe it would be fun to take a break from being rich and worrying about the status of those she spoke to and wasting her days partying with her 'friends', who hadn't spoken to her since her father's funeral.

Finally some time to herself...

"I'm selling the piano."

Kagome had noticed her brother entered the room, but as much as she loved the piano it wasn't her property and she couldn't take it with her into the hotel.

"You should have a long time ago," she ran her fingers over the keys, "dad bought it for you before I was even born."

"I never touched it or showed up to lessons," Naraku spoke, "but I guess it wasn't a waste for you. You have talent."

"Thanks," she frowned, "not that it will get me anywhere."

"Here take this," he revealed a large box he carried with him downstairs.

It was a brand new keyboard that was probably worth a lot more than the old piano. No one else here played so where did it come from?

Naraku wasn't a man of many words, so he took his leave the moment it was given to her. Any guilt he experienced from allowing Kagura to steal his sister's inheritance was washed away now. Not only did he house them for several months, but perhaps by showing that last gesture of kindness he wouldn't be hated by his own blood.

- - - - - - -

The servants of the small household frowned when it's owner arrived. Sesshoumaru was often silent, but when he was angry it was almost like an aura surrounded him warning everyone to stay away.

"She said that she doesn't want to see anyone," a maid tried to block Sesshoumaru from entering the bedroom.

He simply pushed the girl out of the way, "I pay for this place I shall do as I wish."

"Sesshoumaru," a young woman of no more than 15 gasped when he entered the room.

"Rin," he spoke sternly to the young woman, "am I to understand you refuse to go to the doctor today."

The girl frowned, "Sesshoumaru I'm thankful for everything you've done for me, but I can't do it. I'm not getting an abortion."

"You'll be a ruined woman."

"This isn't the middle ages. Many girls have babies at my age-

"At least they have their man by their side in such a scary time, but yet I see no one is by your side Rin."

"He loves me! He said he had to go to Tokyo and that he would come back-

Sesshoumaru shook his head before turning around and taking his leave, "It's just a fairy tale Rin."

.

.

.

AN: Okay it's been five chapters. I've been updating quite well lately though I'm afraid this might not be my best work. For those who think I might be a little off with my portrayal of Kagome be patient. I just haven't had much room to expand her character because I'm trying to copy the original Jane Austen book scene and story wise and this far in the book my Inuyasha adaptions have been mentioned more than the original characters, but w/e we have like 50 chapters to go.

For those who have read the original book you've probably figured it out now what I'm doing. In the book the mother has three children. The youngest one (Sango in this story) doesn't do much but there are two older sisters who experience their own love and heart break. There is Elinor who is mature and keeps her family together while there is Mary Ann who is childish and doesn't know what's best for her. Rather than throwing another character in I've decided to combine both of these women into Kagome which is why you will see her struggling a lot between being an adult and acting like a child.