- Text Size +

Naraku had kept his word and allowed Kikyo Higuashi and her two daughters to continue residence in his home for the last few months now. It had been Kagura's job to purchase them an affordable house, but she never even attempted and instead told Kikyo to search for home. This brought pleasure to the witch, because Kikyo badly wanted a home in the neighborhood so she could be close to her husband's home, and since there were no homes here that were under half a grand Kagura enjoyed denying her every time.

Despite her unwillingness to help out the family Kagura had decided to do everything in her power to make them know they weren't welcome in her household. It started on the very first day of this arrangement when Sango had to sleep in the guest room because Kagura had given not only all of her rooms, but all of her belongings away to Kanna. Then mysteriously the phone lines would go dead everytime one of them tried to make a call or use the internet, and there was also the fact that the hot water never seemed to work unless it was Kagura or her family taking a shower.

There were only a few things that kept Kikyo from snapping and burning this house to the ground. It was the fact that she loved this place and knew it wasn't Naraku's fault, and that they had been blessed with a new visitor.

“They would make a great couple,” Kikyo smiled looking out the kitchen window to see her daughter walking next to a handsome brown-eyed man.

Recently Kagura had gone into labor therefore was at the hospital receiving visits from her family. Only one who wasn't there right now was her older brother Kouga, who really didn't want to be around his family at the moment. His mother, Lady Amara, would be there, and as as unbelievable as it could sound she was worse than Kagura.

“When my father died that was when things went to hell,” Kouga said taking a seat in the garden making room for Kagome, “and I guess we are in the same boat. All the money went to my mother, because at the time I was two, but it wasn't put into a trust since my mother would obviously need it to care for me and my brother.”

“So she has complete control over it?” Kagome asked wishing that whatever mistake her and Kouga made to wind up in a situation where their future depended on dying parents could be undone.

He nodded, “Yeah. The bitch says I can't even touch it until I adjust my attitude! My father was like yours, money for the heirs only and all that yet shit but yet mom had no problem helping Kagura with her modeling career just so that bitch could throw it all away and be a gold digger.”

Kagome flinched a little, because she knew she would be the same. When she tried talking to her mother about how they would have to eventually settle with a small house and get jobs like everyone else she was told to bite her tongue. Since she had dropped out of school there was nothing available to her in the way 'respectable careers' and the moment she got an average career her status as a socialite would be gone and no rich man would consider her for marriage. Her getting married was all she could do for the survival of her good family name.

Kouga then frowned as he lightly grabbed her hand, “Listen...I understand what you are going through, and don't you for one second compare yourself to my sister. She's a gold digger, because she had a job and quit it the moment she found retirement money with Naraku. You on the other hand, your nice and kind despite all the shit Kagura is putting you through. Any man would want to be with you.”

Kagome gasped a bit flattered at his words, but she still didn't understand the difference between what she was doing and the actions of a gold digger. At least Kouga seemed to see the goodness in her others couldn't find. It felt like for the first time she was finally waking up, and all this time when she'd been sleeping around with popular men, partying with a fake ID, and spreading rumors on Facebook she'd been in a zombie-like state. When Kagura made her decision there would be no money, and until there luck would turn around Kagome had made a decision that she would act a little more adult.

That had been the reason her and Kouga were speaking for the first time since their meeting a few nights ago...

Kagome had gone out to the pool, naked, like she always use to before Naraku took this place over. Though most girls didn't skinny dip unless there was a party Kagome had always found it relaxing, that and no one was ever watching. At least that was until Kouga showed up.

In bliss she swam running pictures through her head before her eyes snapped open from a rude whistle.

“Nice,” he grinned at her when she emerged, “what do you call that one? The bathing beauty?”

Kagome glared at him as she covered herself floating to the deep end, “Could you come up with a worse pick-up line?”

He just laughed as he made himself comfortable on the lawn furniture surrounding the pool, “I don't pick-up chicks sweet heart. I just party with them. Obviously you would be the Higurashi girl I've been hearing so much about?”

She didn't answer them.

“Come on be nice to me,” he reached into a bag he brought, “I brought the party with me.”

He brought out a very large bottle of tequila, which as everyone from high school knew had been the drink that often times made Kagome a real light weight. The rumor had been just one shot and the slut would go to bed with anyone, when really that had started from this one jock that Kagome always refused who made up the tale after her friends carried her out of the bar.

This guy hadn't been from her school though. She could tell just by looking at him, because he was a bit too tan. As long as that booze wasn't brought with him to be an insult Kagome had no problem with this.

“Get me a towel.”

He smiled as he waited at the end of the pool with a large beach towel almost as though she would be a charging bull coming at him. Kagome just rolled her eyes as she quickly wrapped herself up.

“No flash photography please.”

“It's not like I can even get a signal out here,” he grimaced thinking about his iPhone that was left untouched back in the guest room, “pictures of pretty girls naked do me no good if I can't share them, now do they?”

She had to fight herself not to roll her eyes again. So far he seemed like a fresh out of high school punk, but yet she couldn't dismiss any handsome man who seemed interested in her. He made it obvious he only wanted to party, but that didn't mean they couldn't go a little bit further. If he happened to be another trust fund baby it would be easy to save her family when it came to this one.

Seducing was hard work, she needed preparation.

“Damn,” Kouga's eyes widened when he saw Kagome pick up the whole bottle and she took a little swig, “I was going to go to the kitchen and make some smoothies or something. Even I think that shit is disgusting straight.”

“I've had practice,” she smiled sitting in the chair next to him, “So tell me...Mr. Guy who is by my pool-

“Kouga,” he noted, “Kagura's brother.”

“Gross,” she whispered before smiling at him, “what is it that you do?”

“My family is rich so I don't do anything.”

BINGO.

“Out of high school?”

She took another drink and Kouga began to look uncomfortable. Kagome was confused. This had been the first time a man hadn't become turned on by the sight of her drinking. It usually meant he had a shot at getting lucky tonight.

But then Kouga smiled again, “You better slow down honey. Nothing attractive about drinking too fast and then throwing up in the pool, but if you really want to party...”

He reached into his pocket for a moment before turning to the small pool-side table. Kagome couldn't clearly see what he was up to until he turned. Sitting in front of her was a line of cocaine with a small straw they could use to easily snort it.

“I find this much more appropriate.”

Kagome frowned.

No, she wasn't new to getting high, and Kouga being a rich boy probably brought some high quality with him, which also wasn't new to her. She wasn't an addict though. She'd only done lines a few times about three times in her life all at parties where she got wasted.

It was so good though.

She shook her head. She knew that if she snorted that stuff she would become an addict right then in there due to her stressful situation, but if she walked away now Kouga would probably lose all interest in her. It would make her look like she was judging his lifestyle, which she had no right to do since she just took a few swigs of straight up tequila.

Even that made her grimace a little. Had she really been like this in high school? How did anyone find this behavior attractive?

“You buzzed yet?” Kouga asked with a grin at the fact that she wasn't reacting.

“Sorry,” she whispered standing up, “I can't do this stuff anymore. Please leave me alone.”

“I respect the decision you made that night,” Kouga said days later in the garden, “it was stupid of me. I am a guest in my sist- your house, and I bring my 'getting laid' kit with me.”

“It isn't my home,” Kagome sighed looking at the ground, “so you're free to do whatever you want.”

“No,” he said loudly before his hand trailed over to hers, “I'm not in high school anymore, and I can't act this way. What's sad is that I was actually thinking about going to college just so I can party. It's pathetic. How you can even stand to be around me is beyond me?”

Kagome frowned, “You're talking to me like I'm a prude or something. There is nothing wrong with partying. We are young and- I guess the word is unattached. Drugs just aren't really my thing anymore, and I was about to do a line to escape all of this stuff that's been happening lately, which would have just forced me to do it more and more since my situation won't be changing anytime soon.”

“Stop being so depressing,” he laughed finally lacing his fingers with her, “it will all work out soon, okay? This type of life doesn't accept you and then throw you out. You'll still have your connections and be back in soon. I promise you that, but until you are comfortable enough to return to your former glory Miss. Higuashi I've given up drinking.”

She looked at him curiously, “what?”

“I'm going to be stuck in this town for a while. I sort of got in trouble back home, and I need a partner to party with. Until your ready I will just stay on the down low. Just don't tell anyone about me being here. You don't want all the ladies getting pissed just because I'm saving a drink and a dance with you.”

Kagome laughed for the first time since her father died after his failed attempt at being smooth. Not only did Kouga refuse to drink unless it was with her, but he'd decided to give up drugs as well. He couldn't risk his mother finding out and having another excuse to deny her his money.

“Kagome has moved on fast,” Kikyo announced with a smile after watching them from the window, “maybe it won't be long until I'll be planning a wedding with his mother.

Sango, who'd been doing homework silently nearby finally frowned.

“Mom she can't marry Kagura's brother.”

“Oh, and why is that?”

“It's nice to see my sister smile again, but they have nothing in common. He can't play the piano and he hates it when she plays.”

“Oh Sango,” Kikyo smiled again, “perhaps when your older you will realize adults don't have to share anything in common to be attracted to each other.”

Sango was young but even knew Kikyo and her father had never been attracted to each other, so who was she to talk about the relationship her sister and Kouga now shared?

Kikyo knew that she was hoping for too much too soon, but all she cared about right now was the fact that Kagome was smiling again.