- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own any characters from Inuyasha show. Rumiko Takahashi is the one who owns them. I do not own Inuyasha fandom either (strange isn’t it?) This fan fiction is not a commercial project, and I am not making any money from writing it.

 


 

Prologue

 

 

The cold winter wind was chilling the two demons that stood near the shore of the ocean. Its stormy waves were crashing on the sandy beach and the wind was picking up with each passing minute. The two beings stood still, only their unruly hair swayed in the troubled wind. Their white mane, which was illuminated by the moonlight, was shining with an ethereal glow, making the two beings even more inhumane.

 

The older demon was standing with his hair tied in a high ponytail and with his back turned to the younger demon, whose white loose strands danced in a frenzied way about his stoic face. The younger youkai shifted a little and tried to position his crazily flying hair behind his pointed ear. The attempt was futile as the strands were freed from their prison even faster than one could blink. Golden eyes now locked on the older demon’s back and his swaying ponytail. The wave crashed on the shore and the teenager noticed for the first time that it was snowing. Soft snowflakes were lazily descending from the black sky to just be blown away by the gusts of chilly wind. One cold snow petal managed to land on the young demon’s nose and the youkai fought the urge to brush it away.

 

“Are you leaving?” The youngster was pulled out from his thoughts and from the snowflake, which had already melted in a puddle of water. The demon answered the question with a question of his own.

 

“Are you going to stop me?”

 

“I am not going to stop you,” The demon Lord answered after a slight pause.

 

“I appreciate it,” The pup looked up at his father and when the right words formulated in his mind, he continued, “Before I leave, however, I would like the fangs, Tenseiga and Tessaiga to be handed over to me.”

 

The Lord was silent for a minute but then hesitantly started, “If I say that I won’t give them to you… Would you kill your own father?” Inu Taisho held his breath while waiting for the answer.

 

“Who knows...” A smile was tugging at the corner of the younger demon’s lips, which in the end was denied.

 

Inu no Taisho snorted, “Do you desire power that much?” The older demon’s face became somber and his voice hardened. “Why do you seek power?”

 

“I must travel round the world as well as the path of conquest… And in order to walk that path, power is a necessity.” The words were spoken with such certainty that the Western Lord was left wondering.

 

“Conquest, huh?” Inu Taisho lowered his head in contemplation. “My son, is there something you want to protect?”

 

“Something to protect?” The demon boy echoed his father’s words as if tasting them. His eyes narrowed. The teenager mulled over the words and their meaning, finally answering his father, “Yes, there is something I want to protect.”

 

Inu no Taisho, the great Lord of the Western Lands, suddenly changed into his true form and howled into the dark night his sorrow. Turning one last time to look at his teenage son, he leaped into the air and disappeared into the all-consuming darkness.

 

It was the last time the father and the son had seen each other.