- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Me is back with Chapter 2! On with the story!

DISCLAIMER: I DON'T OWN INUYASHA. KIKYO WOULD'VE STAYED DEAD THROUGH THE WHOLE SERIES IF I DID.

 

Chapter 2: Yukina, the Demon of Ice

“Lady Kaede!” A village man shouted. “The village is being attacked by demons!”

“It's been peaceful for the last 50 years, why do the demons choose to attack now?” The elderly priestess wondered out loud as she fetched her bow and arrows. She began shooting down the demons attacking her village.


“They must've sensed the jewel!” Kagome said, hastily putting the glowing pink jewel into her haori.

“Oh, no. No demon's getting the jewel except for me.” InuYasha said. He flexed his claws, ready to attack any demon that tries to get close to the jewel.

“How...nice.” Kagome said, then fixed an arrow into her bow. “Hit the mark!” She said as she let it fly, purifying a bunch of demons. The arrow left behind a pink light as it soared through the air before meeting its intended target.

“That light! That can only come from one priestess!” Kaede said as she noticed the bright pink streak made by Kagome's arrow. “Aaah!” She grunted as a demon managed to wound her side.


“Lady Kaede!” A villager rushed to her side.

“Take me to InuYasha's forest, immediately! I must find out if that purifying light came from Sister Kikyo.”

“Lady Kikyo? But she passed on over 5 decades ago!” The villager looked at the priestess like she was delusional, but helped her on a horse anyway.


“This is my last arrow.” Kagome said as she aimed carefully and let it fly.

“Behind you!” InuYasha shouted as he came from her side to claw at a demon that managed to sneak up on her. “Iron Reaver Soul Stealer!” He said as he tore it up into pieces.

“Thanks InuYasha.” Kagome said before turning back to her opponents.

“Feh. Whatever.” He leapt upwards to destroy other demons. Little did they know that the old priestess Kaede was watching them. 'It can't be. That purifying arrow can only be produced by Sister Kikyo. She was the only one ever known to use the technique. And InuYasha has been unsealed. It must be her, come back from the Netherworld.' Kagome whirled around, sensing more demons. ‘But she moves with inhuman grace. Is it really her?’

“Watch out!” She cried as she ran full speed towards Kaede. She leapt above her and screamed, “Ghost Cat Blade!” The demons behind the elder priestess were purified by Kagome's second swipe. She landed on her feet, breathing heavily. “I'm glad that's over with.” She panted.

“Sister Kikyo? Have ye come back from the dead?” Kaede squinted at the younger priestess.

“Huh? I'm not Kikyo. My name's Kagome.”

“Ye resemble her in many ways. And ye have some abilities that are identical to hers.”

“Ummm...I don't know what you're talking about.” Kagome said.

“Those arrows, and only Kikyo can unseal InuYasha from the God Tree.”

“Hey wench! Time to hand over that jewel! Iron Reaver-” InuYasha, once again, attempts to get the jewel from Kagome.

“Sit boy.” Kagome said, tired of his persistence. He made another InuYasha shaped impression on the ground. “Will ya give it a rest?! As long as you wear those subjugation beads, you won't be able to even come near the Shikon jewel! Get it?!”

“The Shikon jewel?! It cannot be! Sister Kikyo had taken it to the next world with her!” Kaede said.

“I guess it was reborn into my body. When the mole demon tore my side, it came out.” Kagome said.

“So Kikyo did die huh?” InuYasha said nonchalantly.

“Ye speak like ye have only figured it out.” InuYasha gave her a questioning glare. ”Those claws, were the very ones that caused her death.”

“What the hell are you going on about, you old hag?! Kikyo's the one who betrayed me!” InuYasha shouted at the old priestess.

“You stole the Shikon no Tama, did ye not?” Kaede questioned him with an identical glare.

“Yes! Because she betrayed me!” InuYasha shouted.

“InuYasha, just stop. What's done is done.” Kagome said. “And she's hurt, so lay off!”

“No cat, especially you, is gonna make me stop!” InuYasha jabbed a clawed finger at her chest.

“A cat?” Kaede looked at Kagome and finally saw the cat ears on her head. “But how? Spiritual powers and demonic blood can never be contained in the same body. It's not possible.” She raised her bow and grabbed an arrow from her quiver. Kagome's ears drooped. “Begone, or I'll be forced to shoot ye.” Kaede aimed an arrow at Kagome, who made no move to protect herself.

“I'm just another abomination to you, right?” She said sadly. “Here, take the jewel.” Kagome brought out the pink spherical gem. She threw it at Kaede's feet. “Don't worry, I won't stay here long.” She turned away and started walking off. InuYasha growled almost inaudibly and dug his claws into the bark of the nearest tree.

“Wait child!” Kaede called. Kagome paused. “I cannot guard this jewel. My powers will not be sufficient, even with ofuda and barriers. Only the chosen guardian can protect the jewel. I will not question the jewel's choice of its protector.” She held out the jewel to Kagome. “Ye are the jewel's protector, hanyou or not.”

“Aww, isn't that nice? 2 little hanyous and an old witch. Taking the Shikon jewel will be simple.” A feminine voice said. A cascade of snow temporarily blinded the 3 and a silver haired woman appeared from the snow.

“Who the hell are you?!” InuYasha growled, crouching into an attack stance. Kagome did the same while Kaede placed an arrow into her bow, aimed at the woman.

“If you're going to die by my hands in a few moments, you might as well know my name.” She said, smirking. “I'm Yukina, the ice demon.” Snow swirled around her outstretched arm and a crystal-like sword materialized. “What an honor, to be slain by my Aisuken.” She caressed the blade lovingly.

“Enough talk. Prepare to die!” InuYasha charged forward and leapt up a few feet before Yukina. The demon merely looked up and raised her sword. It shot out crystal shaped ice shards at InuYasha. He showed no emotion whatsoever as the shards grazed him, making shallow cuts along his skin. “Iron Reaver Soul Stealer!” InuYasha shouted, bringing his clawed hand down. Yukina blocked his attack with her sword and sent him crashing into a tree with a simple flick. She sent out more ice shards, pinning InuYasha to the tree. Kaede fired her arrow, which the demon deflected with a swipe of her sharp claws.

"You have to get out of here! We'll take care of her.” Kagome said. The older priestess nodded and mounted her horse with Kagome's help.

“Take these.” She said, handing Kagome her quiver. The girl nodded and Kaede urged her horse towards the village and left the two hanyous and the demon.

“What the hell?!” InuYasha shouted, grabbing Kagome's attention. The ice regrouped, forming an icy cage around InuYasha. He struggled against it uselessly, and was soon enveloped.

“InuYasha!” Kagome dashed to his side and quickly clawed at the ice, chunks of it flying. She winced as her hands started to burn. “What's happening?!” She stared at her hands, a purple tinge spreading out from her fingertips into her palms.

“That ice is infused with toxins. You and your friend will be poisoned to death. The dog will probably be having trouble breathing right about now.” Yukina informed her, inspecting her claws.

“Why you-” Kagome flexed her claws, turning to face the demon.

“Oh, and thanks for the jewel. I'll be sure to make good use of it.” She held up the pink jewel between two fingers.

“You give that back! Or I'll have to take it by force!” Kagome said.

“We'll see.” Yukina rested her hand on her sword's blade. “Shimoto.” She called. As soon as the name left her lips, a huge bird with pure white feathers appeared, perched on the demon's shoulder. Ice shattered onto the ground.

“Dammit all. That ice was toxic.” InuYasha growled as he freed himself from the icy cage. “You're gonna regret doing that.” He said, shrugging off the last of the ice.

“Keep them entertained.” She said simply and was swept away by another wave of snow.

“InuYasha, you take care of the bird. I'll go after Yukina and get the jewel back.” Kagome said, turning to follow the demon.

“You let her take the jewel?!” He whirled on her. “Why I oughta wring your skinny neck right now.” InuYasha growled.

“Yeah yeah. You can get mad at me later.” Kagome took off after the cloud of snow that was Yukina.

“Hey! Get back here! I ain’t finished with you yet!” InuYasha screamed at her.

“I’ll be back later! You can yell your little head off at me then!” Kagome shouted back. She resumed jumping from tree to tree, head tilted up to keep the snow cloud in sight.

“Okay pal. It’s just you and me right now.” InuYasha lunged at the bird who easily dodged his claws. In turn, it raked its talons swiftly across his back, tearing through his haori.


Kagome landed on the topmost branch of the pine tree. She gracefully pushed off and landed on another branch. The snow disappeared as it reached the river. “Wha?! Where’d she go?!” Kagome said as her feet touched the ground. ‘What’s going on?!’ A strange pulling told her where the jewel was. She followed it to a clearing.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! Review!