- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Just another fanfic I had saved on my laptop. Enjoy!
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey! I'm back with another fanfic. Okay, so lemme explain some things before we go on. The Bone Eater's well has no purpose in this story except as a part of the surroundings. Kagome was never from 500 years in the future, she's an orphaned hanyou priestess. She has a very different past than the original story. This story takes place in the original timeline of InuYasha; 50 years after Kikyo's death and Inuyasha's sealing. And Kagome's still the same happy-go-lucky girl we all know. Just needs less rescuing and can kick evil demon butt! Seriously, why did Rumiko Takahashi make her a damsel in distress? Oh wait, it's called InuYasha: A Feudal Fairytale. Ehehe. Oops.

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT RUMIKO TAKAHASHI. IF I WAS, I'D BE WORKING ON MY NEW MANGA SERIES RINNE SOMETHING-THAT-I-DON'T-KNOW-THE-NAME-OF AND FIXING THE END OF INUYASHA!

Kagome stared out into the horizon, painted with ribbons of gold, pink, orange and purple. She sat on a stout branch, legs dangling and her head resting on the rough bark of the trunk. Her midnight black cat ears sat atop her similarly colored hair, swiveling around to detect any signs of danger. 'Something's coming.' She sniffed the air to determine if it was a human or a demon. It was only a priestess merely passing through this forest, but Kagome couldn't risk anyone finding out about her half-demon form. She closed her eyes and chanted some words to take on her human form. Her cat ears were hidden by the spell, as well as her claws and fangs. She stood up on the branch and hugged the trunk and began to climb down. “Kyaaah!” Kagome screamed, arms flailing as the branch beneath her cracked and sent her tumbling down. She landed in a bush, saving her from any major injuries. “Guess I should've waited until I got down before changing back.” Kagome mumbled to herself, standing up and brushing off the debris of her red priestess hakama. She made sure that her bow was in her quiver along with several arrows. She went off in a brisk walk, aiming to avoid any contact.

It was the way she'd learned to live, staying away from human and demons as much as possible for self preservation. She went into villages to heal injured or ill people, but besides that, she had no other contact. Her demonic blood was both a curse and a blessing. Sure, she was stronger, faster and more agile than most humans, but that's also the reason that she was forced to live on her own. In short, she lived a very lonely life. Kagome inherited her spiritual powers from her human mother, who was a priestess before she decided to settle down and have a family. Her demonic powers were inherited from her father, the cat demon lord, Kuronekorou from the Eastern lands.

The demon who killed her parents was a son of Inu no Taisho. He'd come to settle their father's fights and killed the cat demon lord and his wife in honor of his late father. The two demon lords...well...let's say they infinitely hated each other's guts times a hundred. She wanted to avenge her parents' deaths, but she didn't know which one of the two brothers of the dog demon lord had murdered her parents. She didn't approve of killing innocent people.

Kagome stopped thinking about her parents long enough to notice that her wandering led her to a village. 'Aaah! I'm so stupid! How can I not have noticed that I wandered into a village!' Kagome mentally scolded herself. She retreated into the forest. 'Where am I?' Kagome thought as she wandered around the unfamiliar forest. 'I feel like I've known this place, yet this is my first time here. Why is that?' She let her aura wander around, discerning if this forest was safe. It seemed pretty safe, no humans or demons had stepped foot in this forest for quite a long time. She dropped the spell and took on her normal form. A strange scent hit her nose like a slap. She curiously followed the scent. It led her to a huge tree, seemingly full of memories, good and bad ones. The tree's thick branches and massive trunk made her feel calm, peaceful, like there was nothing in life to be worried about. She walked around it, gasping as she saw a boy pinned to the trunk by a single worn arrow. Thick vines held up his body, which would've been unsupported except for the arrow buried in his flesh. A gentle breeze blew, lifting the boy's silver hair away from his face. Kagome took a few small steps towards him, and stopped as his silver dog ears twitched, ever so slightly. She panicked and took on her human form. A few moments later, his eyelids fluttered open, revealing confused golden orbs. They swiftly scanned the area, before noticing the dark haired priestess looking up at him. “Y-y-you're alive.” Kagome choked out, staring at him with wide eyes.

“What? Not happy that you weren't able to send me to hell like you planned? Go ahead Kikyo, kill me. I'm just a filthy half-demon to you, aren't I?“ He spat, glaring at her with hate filled eyes.

“What're you talking about? I'm not this Kikyo you speak of.” Kagome said.

“Drop the act. We both know you aren't fooling anyone, Kikyo.”

“I'm not Kikyo!” Kagome shouted, fists clenching.

“Then why do you look like her?! And no one could smell this disgusting except-” He tried to finish, but Kagome cut him off.

“I'm not Kikyo! My name's Kagome, you big idiot! Ka-go-me!” She screamed in frustration, losing her grip on her spiritual powers and accidentally letting the spell drop. Her half-demon features were visible again. “Look what you made me do! Thanks a lot, jerk!” Kagome shouted, crossing her arms over her chest and turned away from him. The boy stared at her with his mouth agape.

“You're not her.” He said, bewildered.

“Well duh, who would I be, the goddess of annoyances?” Kagome said.

“Actually-” He started, but was again cut off by a deadly glare from Kagome.

“Don't even say it.” She warned.

“That explains why the scent was way off.”

“Well do you think I enjoy taking in your scent?! You smell like you haven't taken a bath in 50 years!”

“Well excuse me for being pinned to this damn tree by the damn priestess! Most people aren't neat freaks unlike some people!”

“What did you say?!”

“Wench.” He said.

“Jerk.” Kagome replied.

“Fleabag.”

“Mutt.”

“Bitch.” He said, smirking.

“A-” Before Kagome could finish her reply to that, a loud rumbling sound reached their ears.

“What the hell's goin on?!” The other half-demon shouted as the rumbling grew louder.

“How would I know?!” Kagome shouted back. She took out her bow and fitted an arrow into it. She pulled it back, ready to fire at whatever was making the rumbling. The ground started to shake, cracking, and Kagome jumped backwards to avoid being pulled into the ground along with some dirt. A gigantic mole demon surfaced from the chasm, fur matted, eyes glowing a bloody red, and saliva dripping from its mouth. It bared its teeth, which made look like it was grinning.

“So they have you to guard the jewel now, huh?” It said in a reedy voice. “Are they really that desperate? To have a filthy half-demon to guard the Shikon no Tama?”

“What the hell are you goin on about, you dirty rat?! Kikyo's the one guarding the jewel!” The dog half-demon shouted.

“Oh, you didn't know?” The youkai rat asked, amused. “The priestess died 50 years ago. After she pinned a half demon to a tree. Which I believe is the same one I'm speaking to right now.”

“W-w-what?” He said, but it came out in a half strangled voice.

“You're InuYasha, aren't you? You're that half-demon that she fell for. Pity. She was weakened by the likes of someone such as yourself.” InuYasha? Inu no Taisho's youngest son?! Kagome thought. “Now, for the jewel.” He lunged at Kagome, who was partially distracted.

“Wha?!” Kagome was thrown backwards as the demon managed to claw her side. She groaned as she hit the tree InuYasha was pinned on. She slid down in a crumpled heap at the base of it. “Ugh.” She groaned as she pulled herself upright. “That was dirty. Now, you're gonna wish you never did that.” Kagome said, clutching her side to stop the bleeding. “Ghost Cat Blade!” She shouted, her claws glowing a ghostly green as she leaped upwards and swiped at the demon. Her claws then glowed pink as she swiped at the demon a second time, purifying it. She landed heavily on her feet amongst the ashes of the demon. She limped back to the tree to retrieve her bow, and she noticed a glowing pink jewel lying in a small pool of her blood near the tree. She picked it up, holding it between her thumb and forefinger, examining it. “So this is the Shikon no Tama, huh?” Kagome said, still staring at the jewel. “And if anyone makes a selfish wish on the jewel, it'll be tarnished. If someone, however, makes a pure, unselfish wish, it'll disappear.”

“Can you pull this arrow out? It's annoying. More than you.” InuYasha said.

"Why don't you say that to my face?!" Kagome said, getting irritated.

"See, I would, but I can't tell which side's your face." InuYasha said, smirking. Kagome growled and placed an arrow on her bow, aiming for him.


Flashback

"InuYasha!" Kikyo's cry rang out. An arrow from her bow flew to its target, InuYasha. It pinned him to Goshinboku. The jewel landed on the ground.

"Kikyo...I thought..." InuYasha started, but wasn't able to finish his sentence. Kikyo limped to the jewel, leaving a trail of blood behind her.

"Sister Kikyo!"

"Lady Kikyo!"

"Kaede. Take this jewel and burn it with my body. I shall take it into the next world with me." Kikyo instructed her younger sister with the last of her strength.

"Sister Kikyo!"

End of flashback


"Kikyo." InuYasha said.

"I already told you I'm not-" Kagome shouted, but stopped when she saw InuYasha's pained expression. She lowered her bow and shoved the arrow back into her quiver. She started walking towards him. “I'm not pulling it out unless you answer my question.” She said, breaking InuYasha out of his trance.

“Fine. What is it?” InuYasha snapped.

“Were you the one who killed my parents?” She said, careful not to show any emotions.

“No. I don't know who the hell your parents were.” He replied. “Now get this stupid arrow off me.”

“Does the name Kuronekorou ring a bell?”

“Nope.” He replied.

“You better not be lying or I'll purify you like I did with Mr. Tough-rodent-guy over there.” Kagome said, jerking a thumb back at the ashes.

“Feh. Kikyo already tried that a dozen times. Do I look purified to ya?”

“No, but you will be if you don't answer my question.” Kagome threatened, her hand glowing a bright pink.

“No, I didn't kill a cat demon lord. Why the hell are you asking me this?!” InuYasha growled, getting irritated. Kagome's purifying aura receded and eventually vanished. She sat on the ground, head bowed.

“When I got back...all I found was my parents' dead bodies...” Tears started leaking out of her eyes and she hastily brushed them away. “And a strong scent of a dog demon. It wasn't a regular dog demon's scent, but one of Inu no Taisho's offspring. That's why I'm traveling around, to find out who killed them and avenge their deaths.”

“I didn't kill them. I'm not that cold hearted.” InuYasha said.

“You don't look like you're lying. I believe you, InuYasha.” Kagome wiped away the last of her tears. She climbed up the vines and rested a clawed hand on the arrow.

“Well? Are ya gonna pull the damn arrow out or what?!” InuYasha asked irritably. Kagome's mood lightened.

“Ask me nicely and I'll think about it.” Kagome said.

“Fine.” 'Damn wench.' InuYasha thought. “Will you please hurry the hell up and get the damn arrow off me?!” He asked.

“Ummm...”

“Hurry up, wench! I'm not getting any younger here!” He shouted.

“Oww! You didn't have to yell in my ear.” Kagome said. She pulled out the arrow with ease and InuYasha dropped down on his feet. “Well?” Kagome said, waiting expectantly.

“Well what?” InuYasha asked.

“Well aren't you going to thank me?” She said.

“Sure I will. After you give me the jewel.” He said, preparing to attack her.

“In your dreams.” She held the jewel tighter in her fist.

“Fine, you wanna do it the hard way?” He said, raising a clawed hand. He started running towards her, then jumped up and shouted, “Iron Reaver Soul Stealer!” Kagome jumped backwards, avoiding his attack.

“Hmph. After I free you, this is the thanks I get?” Kagome said as she dodged InuYasha's attacks.

“That's how it works with me.” InuYasha sad as he continued to attack Kagome.

“This isn't gonna end, is it?” Kagome asked herself, then sent a bolt of purifying energy at InuYasha. He fell to his knees and Kagome pulled out some prayer beads and chanted. The beads floated and one by one, each of the beads repositioned themselves around InuYasha's neck.

“What the hell is this?!” InuYasha shouted, trying to pull off the beads.

“It's subjugation beads.” Kagome replied from her current place, in the branches of a tree.

“Get it off me!” InuYasha demanded, still trying to pull them off.

“No can do.” Kagome said, smiling.

“Take it off and wipe that smile off your face!” He tried to attack her again.

“Sit boy.” Kagome said. InuYasha was pulled down by the beads and was currently kissing dirt.

“Ya stupid wench! Get this thing off me!” He said, jumping upwards to attack her, yet again. (A/N: InuYasha is quite persistent, isn't he?)

“Sit boy.” Kagome said as InuYasha was airborne. He was sent plummeting down and made an InuYasha shaped impression on the ground.

Chapter End Notes:
So, how was it? I'm gonna introduce Kaede in the next chapter. And I couldn't resist not putting in the sits. It's funny. Review. Seriously, it's not gonna hurt you.