- Text Size +

Thank you to you who reviewed! ^__^

Guilty Hero

Chapter 25: Role Reversal

“Ah…ah…AH-CHOO!!”

Inu-Yasha was startled into wakefulness far earlier than he should have been by a tremendous sneeze coming from his pillow.  Blinking sleepily, he rolled onto his back and peered up at Kagome’s blurry features, a bit surprised to discover that he was lying in her lap in the first place.  “Whadda… you doin’…?” he mumbled, trying to recall how he got in the position he was in now.

Sniffling, Kagome replied thickly,  “I-I-I’m sorry, I-Inu-Yasha…  I d-didn’t mean to w-wake you…”

He was slowly beginning to realize that something wasn’t quite right.  As the whiskey-greased cogs in his brain tried to turn so he could figure out what was wrong, he carefully pushed himself upright, moaning as the room spun and his head began to throb; he hated being woken up too soon from sleeping off a night of drinking.

As soon as he sat up, he heard Kagome take a sharp intake of breath, so he quickly looked over at her, wondering what was the matter, although it took him a few seconds before the haziness from his vision cleared enough for him to study Kagome carefully.  Her face was flushed and pinched, with dark bags under her eyes; once he had sat up, she had started to shiver uncontrollably from the chill in the room, for his head and hair had been her only source of warmth the entire night.

“Kagome…?” he asked blearily, trying to ignore the throbbing in his temples.  “Wha’s wrong?”

Barely able to keep her teeth from chattering, she sniffed once again, quite obviously congested.  “I-I think I g-got sick yesterday…” she said hoarsely, bringing her knees up to her chest in an attempt to conserve warmth.  “I got c-caught in the rain.”

Rubbing his head as his foggy brain processed the information, he finally repeated, “…Sick?”  He reached out and gently placed his hand on her forehead, then frowned when he felt the amazing amount of heat coming from it.  “You… you’ve got  a fever…” he mumbled, disapproval in his voice.  “You shouldn’t be sittin’ up.”

Rather ungracefully, he shoved himself off the couch and, after stumbling a couple steps, slowly turned around picked up the rumpled blanket that he had previously been using.  “Lie down,” he ordered gruffly, although the order had no strength behind it with his voice being rough with sleep.  Still, Kagome lacked the energy and the desire to argue, and eased herself down until she was fully stretched out on the cushions.  Then, though he obviously had never done such a thing before, Inu-Yasha laid the blanket over her, sloppily tucking it in.

“Stay here,” he told her, trying to sound firm.  “I’ll be back…”  He shuffled out of the room, though Kagome heard a loud thump and a muffled curse a few seconds later, and was able to look up and see that he had walked headlong into a wall, obviously disoriented.  With a growl, he shook his head to clear it, then continued his journey down the hallway.

After a couple minutes, he returned, this time with an armful of blankets and both pillows from his bed.  Dumping his load on the coffee table, he snagged the pillows and turned to face her.  “Lift your head for a second…” he muttered, and placed both of them under her head when she sat up.  Then he proceeded to take the five threadbare blankets and lay each one on top of her, methodically tucking them in.

Kagome, despite how horrible she felt, couldn’t help but smile as she watched him work; he was still not quite awake, and she would even hazard the guess that he wasn’t even fully sober.  He had to work to keep his eyes open, and his ears were drooping on his head, but he doggedly continued with his task.

Finally, once he finished bunching the blankets in around her, which was actually rather uncomfortable but she hadn’t the heart to mention it, she tried to express her gratitude.  “Thank you so much, Inu—“  But he walked out of the room before she even got his name out. 

A little surprised, she simply shrugged and retreated under the covers, glad for the warmth they brought.  Her fever made her face burn like fire but left her body chilled and defenseless.  Sleeping in a cold room with only Inu-Yasha’s head on her lap to keep her warm had certainly not helped the situation, although she hadn’t realized that until she had woken up a few minutes ago, around five o’ clock, feeling absolutely miserable.  Her head pounded, her throat felt like she had swallowed needles, her nose was so full that she couldn’t breathe, and her whole body ached; it was quite a relief to lay down with some blankets.  She did want to bring Inu-Yasha any comfort she could, but she had to admit she was relieved that he had woken up; she doubted she could have gone on for much longer sitting without warmth.

She dozed for a few minutes, then abruptly awoke at the shrill shriek of the teapot, followed shortly by Inu-Yasha’s foul curses and a clatter, then the noise finally stopped.  Waiting a moment to make sure everything was all right, she slowly shut her eyes again, feeling a bit sorry for Inu-Yasha; she knew hangovers made him quite sensitive to light and sound, so the cry of the teapot must have been very unpleasant.  A little while after that she was awoken again, this time by a heavy pounding.

“Inu-Yasha?” she called, wincing as her already weak voice strained to be heard.  “Are you all right?”

The pounding stopped and after a beat she heard a mumbled, “…Fine.”

When silence reigned from the kitchen, she slowly settled back down to sleep, although her concern for Inu-Yasha only allowed her to doze.  However, after a few moments she was awoken by the most delightful cooling sensation on her fiery forehead, and when she opened her eyes, she saw that Inu-Yasha was placing a bag of crushed ice there.

When he realized she was awake, he slowly stepped aside so she could see the coffee table, where a steaming mug and a roll of paper towels sat.  “Tea,” he grunted, pointing at the cup.  “An’ I don’t have tissues, so those’ll have to do for now.  I’ll go to the convenience store a little later.”  Peering grumpily at her, he asked, “Do you need any medicine?”

Touched by all of his assistance, she carefully shook her head, making sure not to remove the blessedly cool icepack from her forehead.  “Not right now, but perhaps later.  Now I just need to sleep.”

Looking a little guilty for keeping her up, he muttered, “Oh.  Sorry.”  Then, keeping quiet, he walked over to the armchair that Kagome usually occupied and sank down in it, looking relieved to be sitting down once more.

Kagome watched him in fascination as he slowly sank lower and lower as the minutes ticked by, until his chin was tucked into his chest and he was almost lying horizontal in the chair.  Feeling a bit bad that he had done so much for her while hardly lucid, she quietly whispered, “Inu-Yasha?”

His eyes barely opened into slits, he murmured sleepily, “Hm?”

“…Thank you.”

“…Mm…”  And he finally dropped off to sleep.  Kagome smiled tiredly, then pulled the covers up even further, deciding to follow his example and catch a few more winks herself.

oOoOoOoOo

For the second time that day, Inu-Yasha awoke to the sound of Kagome sneezing, although this time he greeted the world far more sober.  Rubbing his head, which now had only a dull ache rather than a pulsing throb, he slowly sat up in the armchair and assessed the situation, having to pause a moment and remember how he had gotten in the armchair in the first place.

Carefully standing up and stretching the kinks out of his back, he shuffled over to check on Kagome, wincing as she blew her nose so loudly into a paper towel that it sounded like a foghorn.  As she tossed her makeshift tissue onto the coffee table that was already littered with them, he picked up her empty mug and stared down at her, frowning at how ill she looked.

“You want more?” he asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

Sniffing miserably, she nodded in response and quickly retreated back under the covers.  For the short time she had to emerge from them to blow her nose, she already had started to shiver again.

Silently, he leaned over and pulled the blankets up higher over her shoulders, doing a bit better job at tucking this time around now that he wasn’t half asleep.  Then he snagged the bag of warm melted ice off her forehead and took that with him into the kitchen as well.

As he puttered around the kitchen, opting to use the microwave to heat up water rather than the infernal teapot, he slowly felt his cheeks heating up.  Why was he so embarrassed to care for her?  He certainly didn’t mean to be showing any affection, but what else was he supposed to do when there was a sick woman lying on his couch?

Letting out a soft growl, he shook his head as he pulled some ice cubes out of the freezer and dumped them in a plastic bag.  He shouldn’t be so worked up about it.  Kagome had done the same thing for him when he was in the hospital.  Hell, she had taken care of him every morning when he’d woken up with a hangover!  He was just returning the favor.  That was it.  Glancing down at the bag in his hands, he opted to crush the ice in his fist rather than smash it on the countertop like he had done earlier, making the process a lot easier on both of them. 

Finally, once everything was ready, he brought them back out to her, setting the mug within arm’s reach and gingerly laying the bag of ice on her forehead once again.  Though her eyes were closed, she murmured a soft, “Thank you.”

Grunting in reply as he felt his cheeks flame up again, he quickly disappeared into the bedroom for a moment, digging through his closet until he found his ragged baseball cap.  He crammed into onto his head, then grabbed his sunglasses off the dresser and went back out into the living room, crouching down in front of Kagome once more.

“Hey.  Kagome.”  He nudged her arm, feeling a little bad about rousing her but knowing he had to.

Slowly her eyes fluttered open and she looked tiredly up at him.  He frowned when he noticed that her eyes, usually a vibrant, striking blue had now taken on a sort of dull grey color, and he knew that she really was not feeling well at all.

“I’m going to the convenience store to get supplies.  What kind of medicine do I need to get for you?”

Her reply was short and to the point—she was far too tired to waste words—and as soon as she finished describing the medicine she shut her eyes once more and went back to sleep.

His frown deepening, he made certain she was properly covered up with blankets before he quickly left the apartment, leaping over the railing on the stairs so as not to waste time.  Landing lightly on the first floor, he strode determinedly outside, just barely remembering to shove his sunglasses on before emerging into public.  Fortunately for him, it was still the same cloudy, overcast sky from yesterday, so the sun wasn’t there to torment his in his hangover.

His trip to the convenience went rather quickly, for it was less than three blocks away and he would not allow anyone to get in his way.  During those three blocks he received no less than six curses and four birds, all of which he replied to in kind. 

Finally pushing through the double doors of the store, he grabbed a basket and slowly started to prowl around, wondering where all of the things on his list were located.  In the past, the only things he came into the store for were cleaning supplies, whiskey, cigarettes, and the occasional package of ramen.  However, with Kagome waiting for him back at the apartment, he didn’t want to dilly-dally.  Much as he hated approaching people of his own volition, he was forced to find the spotty-faced kid in an apron who worked the floor to help him.

After fifteen minutes of his patience being tested, during which he had bitten his tongue raw as he tried not to snap at the boy who described the differences between every brand of orange juice they sold in the store or the difference between Kleenex with lotion and Kleenex without lotion, he finally strode up to the counter and slammed his basket down, earning himself a raised eyebrow from the short, heavy woman behind the register.

“You seem to be in a foul mood today, Inu-Yasha,” she commented drily, beginning to remove his items from the basket and swiping them across the scanner.  She had known Inu-Yasha ever since he had moved into his current apartment; he visited the store at least once a week to keep himself stocked with cigarettes and whiskey, and had done that so often that they were on a first-name basis.  At least, she was with him.  He had never bothered to look at her nametag.

“Whatever,” he growled back, tugging his wallet out of his back pocket.  “And get me a pack of my cigarettes.”  He had smoked his last one at the Tap the night prior, and was starting to feel that niggling sensation that urged him not to go too much longer without one.

“All right…”  Pulling his usual red and white package out from under the counter and handing it to him, she said conversationally, “So…  Kleenex, orange juice, medicine, soup, tea bags, and honey, hm?  You planning on getting sick?”

He tugged a white stick out of the pack and stuck it between his lips, ready to be lit the moment he got outside.  He discovered that he didn’t like smoking around Kagome anymore, and he especially wasn’t going to do it when she was sick, so he had to take advantage of those rare moments when he wasn’t around her.

“No, I ain’t planning on getting sick,” he snapped.

“Oh, then you got a sick friend at home?”

He paused in search for cash in his wallet, a little taken aback by the question.  Finally, he mumbled, “Yeah.  A friend.”

“Huh.  Well, good for you.”  Scanning the last item, she said, “No whiskey this time around?”

Stopping his search for money once again, he glanced behind him down the liquor aisle, swallowing hard.  He didn’t have any whiskey back at the apartment, so it would be rather convenient to pick some up now.  However, he didn’t want to drink, not while Kagome was sick.  With a heavy sigh, he turned back to the counter and shook his head; the temptation would be too great if he brought any home.

“Huh.”  She seemed to be rather surprised by his visit today.  “All right then, $14.32 is your total.”

He gave her a sharp glare, his temper sparking once again; he knew that the medicine alone was worth that much.  She had been trying for years to give him the 50% off ‘city hero’ discount as a way to show her gratitude, which he had always violently protested and usually won the fight; she had discovered early on that he either paid full price or would take his business elsewhere, but that certainly didn’t stop her from trying.  However, today he was in a rush, and didn’t feel like arguing.  Sighing, he went back to his wallet to pay, and he did not miss the wide grin that spread across her face.

With a slight growl when he finally remembered that he had used up all his cash at the Tap yesterday, he pulled his debit card out and slapped it on the counter.  Once the transaction was complete, he snatched the bag from her hands and stalked towards the door, eager to be gone.

“Take good care of him, Inu-Yasha, you hear?” she called after him by way of goodbye.

He stopped at the door, oddly still.  After a moment, he said over his shoulder, “Her.”

“What’s that?”

“’Take good care of her’.  It’s a girl.”

“Oh.  Sorry.  Take good care of her!”

“Hmph.”  He finally exited, pausing once to light his cigarette before heading towards home.

Watching him from the register, she shook her head.  “I never thought I’d see the day…”

oOoOo

The rest of the day at Inu-Yasha’s apartment was oddly quiet.  Inu-Yasha was strangely alert, keeping a careful eye on the clock to make certain Kagome got all of her doses at the proper time, refilling her ice pack, and making certain to keep the volume on the TV turned down whenever she dozed off.  He had fixed her the orange juice and heated up a bowl of soup, but she only accepted the orange juice, claiming she wasn’t hungry.  In fact, she ended up making him eat the bowl of soup, saying that just because she was sick didn’t mean that she shouldn’t do her job, and she needed to make sure that he ate properly.  There was little force behind her order, but her voice was so feeble and pathetic that Inu-Yasha found himself unable to deny her request.

Finally when evening came around he brought Kagome her final dose of medicine for the day, he crouched down in front of the couch, carefully studying her as she slowly sat up and swallowed the pills with water, already shivering as the blankets slipped down.  Immediately lying back down once the medicine was taken, she allowed Inu-Yasha to pull the covers back over her himself, already an expert at tucking her in after just one day.

However, once she was covered, he remained in the same position, looking at her with a slight frown on his face.

“What is it?” she asked, her voice rasping in her throat.

He quickly averted his gaze, feeling his cheeks flush for the third time that day.  “…Are you feeling any better?” he mumbled, scratching at a stain on the sofa cushion.

Going through a coughing fit before she could answer, she finally replied hoarsely, “…A…a little,” and gave him a weak smile.

Easily seeing through her lie, his shoulders slumped and he hung his head.  “I’m sorry,” he said softly.  “I’ve never done this before.  I’m not quite sure what to do.”

Kagome slowly stuck her hand out from under the blankets and took his hand in her own, giving it a gentle squeeze.  “You’re doing just fine,” she croaked, unable to keep a grin off her face at how silly her voice sounded.  “I appreciate everything you’ve done.  Don’t worry, another good night’s sleep, and I should be feeling better by tomorrow, all right?”

Bringing his own gaze to look up into her grey eyes, he sighed and nodded slowly.  Then, rather abruptly, he stood up.  “Sit up for a second.”

A bit puzzled, she slowly pushed herself up on her elbows, watching in confusion as he pulled out one pillow and tossed it to the floor.  Then, grabbing the other one, he lifted it up and took its place on the couch, laying the pillow down on his own lap.  “Okay, you can lay down now.”

Looking at him with a very surprised expression, she slowly lay down, gingerly resting her head on the pillow.  The position was rather comfortable, but she couldn’t figure out why he would do such a thing.

“My mother did this for me when I got sick,” he said softly by way of explanation.  “I always felt better.  Besides, you’ve done it for me twice now, and I’ve gotten a very good night’s sleep both times.”

“…I think it was the whiskey that was giving you a good night’s sleep,” she said quietly, and it took Inu-Yasha a minute to realize that she was making a joke.

“Huh.  That’s as may be,” he growled lightly.  “But I ain’t givin’ you whiskey to sleep well.  Whiskey and a fever don’t mix.”

“All right…” she sighed, pretending to be sorrowful about the loss.

“Hmph.”

Both fell silent, Inu-Yasha feeling very awkward as he felt his flush creep all the way up into his ears.  Slowly, he lifted his hand and gingerly started to stroke her hair; he didn’t remember much from the night after the gala, but he did vaguely recall how soothing it was to have her cool hand calmly caressing his hair, smoothing it away from his face.  He tried to emulate her actions, keeping his strokes smooth and slow.  It must have worked, for she was soon in a deep sleep, breathing evenly and snoring lightly since her nose was so full.  A small smile tugged at the corners of his mouth at the noise, but he kept silent, pleased to see that at least something he had done that day had worked.

As the hour grew late and he slowly dropped off to sleep himself, he never realized that he had not once thought about his desire for whiskey that evening, for the first time in many years.

oOoOoOo

“All right, Kanna, bring it back in.”

Muso and Kagura sat back in the seat of the car as Kanna slowly started to reel in a long black wire, giving it a slight tug.  They had added an extension onto her camera and attached it to the windowsill of Inu-Yasha’s apartment where they had followed him home the night before.  It had gone unnoticed all day by both occupants in the apartment, but had allowed the trio to watch their every movement and hear every word said.

“How sappy,” Kagura commented, looking rather displeased at watching the poignant moment in the apartment.  “He’s so pathetic.  I find it hard to believe Naraku is afraid of him.”

“Kagura, just because he wants revenge doesn’t mean he’s afraid of the whelp,” Muso contradicted.

“Look, this foolish half-breed is the one that killed him before—why else would Naraku want him dead?”

“Did he ever say he wanted Inu-Yasha dead?”

Kagura glared at Muso with her bright red eyes, pursing her lips.  “Why must you always act like you know more about Naraku than I do?  I’m the one who spends the most time with him.  Not by choice, mind you.”

Clucking his tongue, Muso moved past her to climb into the driver’s seat.  “I’m a politician—it’s my job to think along crooked lines.  Lord Naraku’s mind just happens to work in the same way.  Kanna, have you collected it yet?”

Just as he raised the question, the camera’s scope popped in through the window, landing right in Kanna’s lap.

“Excellent.  Well then, time to take this information to Lord Naraku.  Let’s hope it’s enough to keep him satisfied for a while, hm?  I’ve got to work on my campaign, and running around doing all of Naraku’s dirty work is not helping that at all.”

As Muso pulled away from the curb and turned around, heading for the quarry at the other end of the city, Kagura let out an inaudible sigh and rested her chin in her hand as she stared out the window.  It had been under her suggestion that they follow Inu-Yasha back to his apartment and stake it out for a day to pick up more information; she really just wanted more time to be aboveground, enjoying the fresh air and the playful breezes before being forced down into the hole in the ground once again.  But now it seemed that her time was up.  She could only hope that Naraku’s plan of revenge would involve something where she could be of use, so it would give her another chance to ride the winds.  But until then, she knew she had nothing to look forward to but many solitary days in the dank, dark underground of the quarry.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Hope you enjoyed it!  Please, leave a review and let me know what you think!