- Text Size +

Kagome got ready to close her eyes. It had been seven days since the birth of Tsuin and Miyori and she was so tired. Kagome never even wanted to eat or take a bath or anything if it interfered with sleeping time. Her eyes went wide open though when she heard one of her children screaming. It hadn’t stopped for seven days straight and Sesshoumaru had been missing for four days now.

Kagome got up and walked to the cribs to see which one it was this time. It was either Koinu or Tsuin. Thankfully she never had an incident where they all cried at once. Miyori was the golden child right now. She had probably only cried three or four times since she was born while the boys wouldn’t stop. At first Tsuin used to cry nonstop for no reason, but he had been on his best behavior lately. Before he was acting like Koinu was now. Crying his head off every waking minute unless he was being fed. Now Tsuin only cried if he was hungry or needed change. Koinu still hadn’t grown out of that phase and he was almost considered a toddler.

“Koinu are you doing this to torture me?” Kagome asked as she picked him up.

He wouldn’t stop. It was horrible. Kagome had to cover her own ears. No wonder why Sesshoumaru was staying away. This wasn’t fair though. She had been alone day and night for four days with the crying children while Sesshoumaru was probably off doing whatever he wanted. Kagome looked at the side of the bed and noticed both the Tensagia and Tokijin were there so he couldn’t have been out far.

“Probably out marking another female,” Kagome said silently to herself.

She knew it wasn’t true. Ever since the day Sesshoumaru had killed Naraku in the dungeons and they both stared at each other before embracing she knew he had truly loved her. They made a promise anyways. Maybe he went out to go kill youkai Inuyasha. Why wouldn’t he have taken the Tokijin with him then? It should have been the ultimate weapon to use against Inuyasha.

“What are you ranting about my lady,” asked the seductive voice of Sesshoumaru.

Kagome could feel him behind her, but she didn’t turn around even though she could feel his breath go over her shoulder.

“Your pretty good at sneaking up on people,” Kagome told him.

“You haven’t seen anything yet,” he continued as Kagome felt something cold slide on her neck.

Kagome looked down and noticed he put a necklace on her. It was a lovely silver chain and at the end hung a huge sapphire.

“Its beautiful,” Kagome gasped.

“Not as beautiful as you,” Sesshoumaru replied, “and that’s not all I got.”

Kagome turned around and once again and gasped. There was a huge bloodstain on his chest. It looked as though he had been fighting.

“What happened to you?” Kagome asked right away.

“Nothing a few hours of rest won’t cure,” he answered as he sat down on the bed, “you are forgetting about something else.”

Kagome then saw it. He had an arm and it wasn’t one of the usual ones taken from another demon. This one matched his other arm.

“How can that be?”

“I was out finding a suitable miko to teach you and Miyori how to use your powers. I sought out the strongest and I had her grow back my arm so I could see her skills for myself.”

“What caused that injury though?”

“Can you ever do anything else besides ask questions?”

“I sort of have no choice when my new mate disappears for four days leaving me to take care of his children the whole time until he comes back with a mysterious injury. And you didn’t even take your swords.”

“I was doing as you suggested and tried to conquer my little fear. I am sorry and will make it up to you. You may rest for four days and I will take care of the children all on my own.”

“You act as though it is such an easy task. I haven’t gotten a chance to rest at all lately. Miyori has been an angel. Tsuin is almost to that stage, but Koinu has gone back to whining endlessly.”

Sesshoumaru picked Koinu up as the screaming got louder. Sesshoumaru flinched because of the pain that overtook his ears. It didn’t make sense to him. Koinu was close to what a two-year-old human should look like, but yet he still sounded like a new born.

“Daddy,” Kagome could hear Koinu say in his crying, “To-go-nar-mommy.”

“What do you think he is trying to say?” Kagome asked Sesshoumaru.

Sesshoumaru didn’t reply as he placed his hand on Koinu’s forehead. He then soon removed it and looked at Kagome with an emotionless expression.

“He is running a fever,” Sesshoumaru announced.

“What?”

“I am going to go take him to one of the castle healers.”

Sudden guilt and fear filled Kagome once Sesshoumaru left the room with Koinu. She should have been able to put her hand on Koinu’s head and tell he was sick. That was the reason why he was crying the whole time. It was her fault he was in so much pain right now. She should have been able to tell from the beginning and then if she had his fever could have easily been treated. How could she be so stupid?

After several minutes Sesshoumaru came back into the room, but without Koinu. Kagome quickly rushed up to him.

“Where is he?!” Kagome quickly asked.

“Calm down,” Sesshoumaru replied looking calm as usual.

“You come here tell me my son is sick then take him away and return without him and tell me to calm down!” yelled Kagome, “what’s going on?”

“Nothing serious just a fever,” he reassured her, “it could probably go away on its own, but if we use some pain relief herbs on him hopefully he will stop crying that way he can get to sleep and he will no longer be sick.”

“So why is he not here?”

“I am leaving him with the healer until I return. We are out of herbs and I believe I would be faster at collecting them then my servants.”

“Let me go with you. I am a miko so I will be able to identify them.”

“Thought you didn’t want to leave our children in the care of servants too much?”

“It will just be a few minutes. Maybe I should just go and you stay here. That injury might open up again.”

“I will be just fine. And you haven’t been trained at all so you may not leave the castle alone.”

“I don’t care whether you go or not then, but I am going.”

“Fine. Just dress into something appropriate. It is not the best traveling weather.”

Kagome looked out the window the first time that night. It was pitch black outside. The only thing visible was the raindrops pounding furiously on the window along with the brief flashes of thunder and lighting. Kagome swiftly opened up her side of the dresser and started throwing the elegant kimonos she was supplied with all over the place until she located what she was looking for. Then within a matter of seconds had discarded the pajamas and was now wearing her school uniform that she had saved. It wouldn’t shield her from the rain and wind but it had to be better to walk around in that kind of weather with that then it would be for a kimono.

“We should probably bring the Tokijin with us,” Kagome suggested as she found her school shoes and put them on, “if we are attacked your toxins will probably not have much affect in the rain.”

Sesshoumaru nodded as he went to the other side of the room and placed the Tensagia on his belt first and then he picked up the Tokijin. Kagome turned around and faced Sesshoumaru when she heard him moan in pain and drop the sword.

“What happened?” Kagome asked right away.

“Nothing,” Sesshoumaru responded as he shook his head and picked the sword off the ground, but this time having no problems.

“Are you sure? Did the Tokijin do something?”

“No lets just go and get back quickly.”

Kagome followed Sesshoumaru out of their bedroom and into the dark hallway. Everything was silent until Sesshoumaru commanded the first servant he saw to go and watch over the other two children. Kagome tried to remain quiet as they made there way out, but she couldn’t keep it all inside anymore.

“Sesshoumaru I am sorry,” she told him.

“Sorry for what?” he asked clueless.

“Our son is sick and its all because I wasn’t being a good mother,” Kagome continued.

“He is sick,” Sesshoumaru stated, “its not as though you tried to attack him with your bow and arrow or anything.”

“I should have been able to tell that he was sick though. This could have been taken care of much earlier.”

Kagome wrapped her arms around her as they went outside where the wind gave her a harsh greeting. That was until her hand was grabbed. Sesshoumaru looked her into the eyes as he held her hand.

“Never doubt yourself as a mother,” he told her, “you are the best I have ever seen.”

“You are just saying that.”

“You know this Sesshoumaru would never say anything without meaning it. Do you think any other youkai mate would have done what you did? The answer is they would have. Any youkai married to royal blood could have just gave birth to the children and put the servants in charge of raising them. You on the other hand won’t even eat or go to sleep until they are tucked in. Don’t allow Koinu’s fever to make you doubt yourself. That’s all it is, a fever he is not on his deathbed.”

“I guess your right Sesshoumaru, where are these herbs at.”

“I believe some are being grown in a garden not to far away. We won’t even have to leave the castle grounds.”

“Lord Sesshoumaru!!!” the familiar voice of Jaken then rang over the storm.

Sesshoumaru quickly turned around and eyed the toad youkai, “Jaken me and my mate are trying to gather herbs for our children. What is that you want?”

“Sorry milord but this is important,” Jaken responded nervously, “we don’t know how but many demons have all gotten into castle and they are all on the lower floors. We don’t know who they are, where they come from, or better yet how this huge quantity got into the castle. Nowhere are there signs of forced entry.”

“Did this just happen now?” Sesshoumaru asked.

“Yes milord. Your chambers and everything else has a barrier around it. The only rooms in danger are the dungeons and servant quarters along with the healer’s quarters. Your youkai solders are holding them back though and it won’t take that long. They are all just lesser youkai with hardly any power the only problem is that there are so many of them.”

“Koinu,” Kagome whispered upon hearing that the healer’s quarters were in danger, “Sesshoumaru don’t tell me Naraku’s body was still down in the dungeons.”

“I forgot to have it removed,” Sesshoumaru replied, “What does his corpse have to do with this?”

“His body was made out of nothing but lesser youkai that were all molded together!” Kagome yelled so she could be heard over the storm, “instead of rotting all the demons just must have become free and are just trying to get out of the castle.”

“I see,” replied Sesshoumaru, “Kagome since you are a miko I am trusting you to find Koinu’s herbs as I go in there and finish these youkai off. If Jaken is telling the truth then this shouldn’t take long.”

“Hai Sesshoumaru,” Kagome said right away as Sesshoumaru started to walk off.

She then gasped as Sesshoumaru stopped and made another grunt in pain. Within a flash he was on his knees and holding his chest. Kagome ran to his side, but then jumped back as he let out a growl. She studied him to see what was wrong. She remembered how he was pain for a brief second before they went outside so she looked at the sword. The Tokijin was glowing a bright red.

“Sesshoumaru it’s the Tokijin!” Kagome shouted.

Sesshoumaru moved his head and saw the swords strange glow. He was a little slow in his movements because of the pain, but while going as fast as he could he removed the sword from his belt and flung it somewhere into the darkness of the sword. Kagome returned to his side and helped him up.

“Kagome go do what I told you to do,” Sesshoumaru said as he pushed her away a little proving that he had recovered, “I will take care of the demons.”

Sesshoumaru ran off just then back into the castle doors. Kagome didn’t know what it was, but she had a very bad feeling. She was worried for Koinu. She wanted to go into the castle and find out if he was okay, but she knew that would be the first thing Sesshoumaru would do and he was a lot faster then her. So she about to set out to find the garden when she saw Jaken scurry towards the Tokijin. Kagome followed and looked at the sword. The aura around it was pure red while the blade itself was turning black.

Kagome’s eyes didn’t leave the sword, as the black metal seemed to melt into the ground and become a puddle. The puddle just grew and grew as the red aura around it did the same. It then started to mold into a shape, into a living thing. A terrifying looking monster with bright red eyes, sharp teeth, sharp claws, and a white Mohawk. A monster Kagome recognized.

“Goshinki,” she said under her breath.

It was indeed Goshinki, except his skin was no longer purple and it was pure black instead. He still had the spider scar on his back though. Many thoughts about this were going through her head quickly. Goshinki hadn’t been an easy opponent. In fact if it wasn’t for Inuyasha turning into a youkai they never would have been able to defeat him. It probably would have been easier if it wasn’t for the him being able to read minds. How was he still alive though? It then all made sense to her. The Tokijin had been made from the fangs of Goshinki and before Sesshoumaru laid down the sword for so long it had been covered in Naraku’s blood. Maybe Naraku’s blood was the full the demon fang needed to regenerate.

“Jaken,” Kagome said, “I need a bow.”

“A bow?” questioned Jaken, “your just a human girl you cannot defeat that thing.”

“Jaken let me ask you this,” stated Kagome, “am I am human girl or am I the second strongest power in the Western Lands?”

“You’re the second strongest power in the Western Lands milady,” Jaken admitted.

“The get me a damn bow and arrow.”

------------------

By the time Sesshoumaru reached the lower levels of his castle it was totally quiet. He expected that since there was suppose to be a countless number of demons and many of his warriors they whole castle would be ringing with the sound of battle. There was nothing though. He didn’t even see a single youkai anywhere, but he could clearly smell them.

He stopped when he felt his hand touch something sticky. All the lights in the corridors were put out before the demons attacked so he couldn’t see a single thing like he was now. He scanned the area as his eyes went from gold to red. He could now see everything and he almost let out a gasp.

Spider web. The whole hallway was engulfed in a huge web and so was his hand. Poision seeped out of his claws freeing his hand as he continued to scan the area. On the ground there were many pieces of demons that had been slaughtered. There was also many lumps in the web. He already knew what they were. They were his warriors wrapped up in the spider web waiting for its creator to liquefy their insides so it could suck it all up easily. Sesshoumaru was too busy trying to get to the other side of the hallway to find his son who was probably trapped somewhere.

He must have just missed the last part of the battle. He had heard that the demons Naraku’s body was made out had to fight and get fused into a stronger youkai before Naraku could devour them, so maybe that had been what happened here. The youkai must have started to fuse into a strong beast and killed his warriors. Sesshoumaru’s head snapped right up when he heard the familiar crying. Koinu was near.

He used his claws and started to right away use his poision to melt away the webs in front of a door. It was a door to the healer’s office. Quietly he opened the door and wasn’t surprised when he came in to find more webs. The biggest smile ever grew on his face though when he looked down and saw Koinu crying, but the baby was perfectly fine. He was tangled up in a web that was all. Sesshoumaru picked him up and tried to drive away all the tiny spiders that were crawling around in his hair. He didn’t know what kind they were, but it probably wouldn’t be any good if Koinu was bitten by one.

Sesshoumaru didn’t know what his next move would be. Where in the hell was that spider? He was sure the barrier put up on the upper floors would protect the other children, but it wouldn’t be good if the spider got on the outside and attacked Kagome. He was about to head out towards her until the scent of spider came closer to him and his eyes began to glow red in self-defense.

---------------------

Kagome had already been through five of the arrows that Jaken supplied her with along with a bow that was found in a nearby storage shed. Every arrow she shot Goshinki just simply moved his head and dodged it. He even made his moves before she launched her attack. This really was the demon Inuyasha defeated awhile back.

“Why have you returned to this world?” Kagome asked aiming another arrow towards his head.

Goshinki just stared at her with his cold red eyes. Was he reading her mind? Was he planning something else? She had almost thought she won for a second when Goshinki’s body started to melt into a black puddle just as it had before Goshinki formed, but she was wrong. Instead the puddle transformed into something else. This time it was Juromaru who looked the same except his hair was black and so was his clothing.

“All of Naraku’s incarnations that died,” Kagome whispered under her breath.

“You’re exactly right,” sneered the voice of Kageromaru who was perched on Juromaru’s head, “and we cannot be free until Naraku’s final wishes have been carried out.”

“Free?”

“Yeah stupid girl. Our souls have been locked in Naraku’s body ever since we died and now that we have been fused with Goshinki we have had enough power to all come back to life temporarily. We can never be free though until we have made sure you leave this world. If by the well or by your blood.”

Kagome remembered the conversation her and Naraku had in her dream. He promised not to harm her children if she left the feudal era and didn’t return now his dead incarnations wanted her gone. Why did Naraku want her to leave so badly?”

“No,” Kagome replied with her hand still gripped tightly on the bow, “this world is everything to me now. I have a family here now and I am not just going to throw it all away!”

The thunder roared as there was an awkward silence between Kagome and the incarnation.

“Then die,” Kageromaru told her as Juromaru lunged forward.

Kagome thought it was the end for her as the brothers charged at her in the blink of an eye, well that was until something pushed them aside. She looked up and saw they had been pushed away by a huge white dog. It was Sesshoumaru in his full youkai form. Kagome looked at him and noticed something strange. There were white webby things all over him and in his mouth was a big black crumbled body of a oversized spider that he dropped on to the ground.

The spider started to hiss which was an indication that it was still alive, its legs were just all cut up. Kagome looked at Sesshoumaru hoping for an explanation, but instead she had Koinu dropped into her hands. He had also been carrying Koinu in his mouth. So instead Kagome faced Kageromaru hoping for answers. By the time she opened her mouth Juromaru had already changed back into Goshinki.

“Don’t know his name,” Goshinki growled knowing Kagome’s question, “Its another one of Naraku’s incarnations you have just never faced him before. He is now useless but his children can be great help.”

Kagome looked at Koinu’s hair and seen the swarm of spiders crawling around. She was too distracted trying to finish Sesshoumaru’s job of getting the spiders all out that she didn’t notice Goshinki lunge her way after he dodged one of Sesshoumaru’s attack.

“Hiraikotsu!” yelled a familiar voice as a huge boomerang came and pushed Goshinki back.

Sango and Miroku came riding in on Kirara and landed by Kagome. Sango quickly caught her weapon and went to her friend’s side. Miroku went out and threw some spirit wards at Goshinki hoping to slow him down for Sesshoumaru.

“Kagome what’s going on?” Sango asked.

“Koinu,” Kagome answered nervously, “he has these bugs all over him.”

“Green widows,” Sango said right away as she took Koinu from Kagome’s arms and began to clear them, “highly dangerous he will die slowly if he is bitten.”

“Sango please do something,” Kagome begged upon hearing the news.

Sango was working as fast as she could. It was not easy at all. Koinu’s hair was pretty long and messy for that of a child’s. Sango’s eyes widened as it became too late.

“Kagome...” Sango’s voice rang in Kagome’s ears.

“Koinu!” Kagome cried as she tried to reach for her son, but instead she felt horrible pain enter her side causing her to fall to the ground.

Juromaru who had just transformed from Goshinki attacked her and just barely missed her hitting anything important. Sesshoumaru was too busy trying to catch up with the incarnation that kept transforming that he didn’t notice Kagome getting attacked until it was too late. Juromaru moved to make another attack, but he was soon pushed back. This time it wasn’t by Sesshoumaru or one of Sango’s weapons. This time it was by a dragon demon.

“I got your back kint!” Tamasha yelled above the storm as she took a few swipes with her claws at the incarnation.

“Save some for me,” another demon added in as she joined the fight with Tamasha and Sesshoumaru, it was Rose, “I will avenge my father.”

Sango ran over to Kagome and lifted her up with one hand while holding Koinu with another.

“Kagome I am sorry you are injured and Koinu has been bitten its all my fault.”

Kagome didn’t think about herself at all. She wandered if there was a cure of the bite Koinu had just received. Did Sango know of one? Would it be easy to get? There wasn’t enough time for all of this. There was only one solution Kagome could think of.

“Sango take me to the well,” said Kagome.

“What?”

“In my time there are many advanced medicines and doctors that can work really fast. I can have him and me all fixed up easily if I return to the future.”

A light snickering sound was then heard. Sango turned to see what it was. The spider, which was half dead thanks to Sesshoumaru, was laughing.

“Our plan has worked perfectly,” chuckled the third incarnation, “our souls will be free.”

“What do you mean?” asked Sango as she loaded Kagome on to Kirara’s back.

“I ordered my children to poision someone in hopes that the girl would return to her time. You see the poision we have put into her son is not any ordinary poision. He will heal once Kagome goes through the well, but if she comes back here he will die.”

“Kagome,” Sango said right away.

“I heard him Sango,” Kagome replied, “I want to save my son. I am going through the well. Even if that means I can never come back to be with my family,”

“Okay then Kagome if that is what you really want.”

----------------------

They were finally all dead. Sesshoumaru went back to his humanoid form and looked at the scene in front of him. The creature that kept transforming itself was now nothing more then a black puddle. This now meant he would have to eventually find the Tetsusaiga or he would be without a useable sword now that the Tokijin had turned on him. He also finished off the spider demon that he started a fight with earlier before he found out Kagome was in a fight of her own. She was going to be in trouble. He had told her not to even try to fight until she had training.

The monk was sprawled on to the ground unconscious while Tamasha and Cali had fled after seeing him defeat the incarnations. He looked around and didn’t see her anywhere. Where was Kagome and his son at?

“Monk,” Sesshoumaru growled as he used his foot to nudge the human awake.

Miroku slowly came into his awakened state and thought about the battle. Sango had told him everything before she left. Sesshoumaru who was in his full youkai form at the time probably wasn’t listening. Miroku didn’t know how to break it him.

“Sesshoumaru,” started Miroku, “lady Kagome has left to return to her time. It’s the only way to save your son’s life.”

What? Sesshoumaru had been too busy fighting to notice her leave, the last thing he remembered was her getting hurt and he thought the demon slayer was taking care of that. Sesshoumaru quickly got up even though he had many injuries all over his body. He took off in his usual speed, which was as fast as Miroku could blink. He had to catch up to her.

-----------

Kagome at on the edge of the well like she usually did when she awaited Inuyasha so they could talk their problems, but it wasn’t Inuyasha she was waiting for this time. This time it was his older brother. She had already gently dropped Koinu in the well. The longer he stayed in his time the worst his fever got. She wanted to say goodbye to Sesshoumaru, too bad he couldn’t say that to his son, but she was a mother and she had to do what she had to do.

Kagome couldn’t keep control of her fingers. They kept playing with the sapphire that Sesshoumaru had given her. The sapphire was the result of the last conversation they ever had before the demons appeared around the castle. Sango only stayed around to make sure Kagome’s bleeding was controlled before she left to go find Miroku. Kagome removed the necklace from her neck and held it in her hand. That when she noticed the inscription written on the clasp for the first time even though it was written very small.

“To Kagome,” she read out loud, “the girl who is proof that not all curses lead to unhappy endings.”

“I was wrong,” his voice said, “this ending is starting to look very unhappy.”

Kagome looked away from the inscription and looked into his golden eyes instead. The same golden eyes Inuyasha use to greet her with. The same golden eyes that her daughter had inherited from her father. The daughter who she would never see again along with her twin brother.

“I already sent Koinu through,” Kagome told him, “so now I have to go. He got bitten and he would have gotten really sick. I am a mother first a mate second. I think of it has being I have to make it an unhappy ending for us so Koinu can have a happy beginning.”

“I understand Kagome,” Sesshoumaru told her as he walked up closer, “and I take back what I said. How can we be experiencing an unhappy ending if we haven’t even really had a beginning yet.”

“I can never come back here. If I were to go through the well to return to you Koinu would die.”

“Go if you must then. You will always have a home here.”

“Don’t you understand Sesshoumaru? I keep telling you, I can never return here!”

Kagome begin to take the balance away from hands so she could tumble backwards into the well. Her body leaned back wards and she waited for the blue light to engulf her. It didn’t something was holding her back. A pair of clawed hands that were holding on to her wrist. Kagome looked up to see Sesshoumaru holding on to her wrist and pulling her up. He pulled her face up close to hers until their cheeks were pretty much touching.

“Never say goodbye,” he whispered into her ears as she had gotten what she was waiting for this whole time.

He kissed her and she couldn’t do anything but close her eyes as it got deeper and deeper. She kissed back as hard as she could. She wanted to savor it forever. She then understood why Kikyo had always wanted for time to stand still between her and Inuyasha. It then ended and she was staring into his golden eyes once more.

“I will come back for you,” he said as he finally released her hands and she fell through the well, the blue light engulfing her and sending her back to her time.

Chapter End Notes:

A/N: Well that was it...yeah there is a sequel. I know you guys out there want to kill me nobody was expecting that ending. You were all too busy wondering if Tsuin was Naraku or not...the answer is you won’t find out till the sequel. Well obviously you won’t find anything else out until the sequel. I might revise this chapter. I was trying to rush and get it done, I am actually surprised at how fast I got these last three chapters on. You all owe me a cookie for this. Anyways it was all choppy in the end because 1. I am not good at writing battle scenes and 2. I didn’t know how to make the moment between Kagome and Sesshoumaru dramatic enough.