- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.
 

Chapter 2

Where the Heart Is

The words 'very interesting' described the information he'd been collecting for the last couple of days.

This was an entirely different world compared to what he'd left behind being trapped in the Neitherplane. Thousands of years had passed since he ruled this world and had almost purified it, and now he was back. He could once again freely walk the forests and fields without a wall of souls standing in his way, and it was all thanks to this girl. Kagome Higurashi had become his key to returning things to the way they were.

When Sesshoumaru was first summoned it wasn't that cut and dry. He soon found himself weak on the ground, fading in and out of the world, rather than slaughtering the humans who gawked at him, which he wanted to do so badly. It was hard to sustain himself here though, because this Kagome girl kept coming close to dying. That was how he figured out they shared the same heart, and if this mere human managed to die than he would cease to exist.

At least he didn't look like a total fool at this girl's graduation. It was generations later and everyone seemed to know his name and was utterly terrified by his appearance. That's why he was now locked in this compound securely with this girl, who had been out cold for a week by that point.

The walls of the compound were nothing compared to the barrier of a million souls, but he'd decided not to make any sudden moves. He wasn't a brainless lesser youkai on the rampage with full intent of killing everything that got in his way. This world was new to him and it was wise to collect information before putting a new plan into motion.

By remaining here quietly at Kagome's side, ignoring all those who passed him, he'd make the right decision as always.

Kagome was a summoner and he was brought here to serve her. As long as she had a piece of his heart and soul, and he had hers they could not separate from each other, and that was about the only control she could ever hope to have over this Sesshoumaru. Unlike other demons that obeyed every word from their summoners and were returned to the Netherplane when not needed, this girl had no power of him. She was too weak and vulnerable to handle him and it wouldn't be long before he completely consumed her heart, making her disappear, and becoming whole again.

To make things even more interesting the humans of this world couldn't harm him or launch an offensive in the slightest despite the fact that he was their most feared enemy. They honestly believed this girl had full control over him and could lock him away whenever she needed too. What kind of lies had this little creature been spreading to make them believe such a thing? He was Sesshoumaru Murashu, ruler of vast demon armies. No being, let alone a human girl with no magical talent, could ever have any influence over him.

Just in case....

He picked up the snake staff that had been lying next to the girl's bed this whole time. Sesshoumaru was the type who could figure out entire scenarios with just a few pieces of information, and as always he was correct. This wasn't the girl's staff for if it was she would have been able to summon him without risking her life and she would have sent him back by now. Interesting how it was shaped like a snake almost as though it was a cruel sign showing how this girl could never be trusted again. She was a thief and a liar, and because of her sin demons would rule over this realm once again.

“Souta.”

His golden gaze moved over to where the girl he'd been watching over for days was finally stirring. She was returning to this world and the first thing her mind focused on was the things she cared about most.

“Souta?” his cold, but yet soothing voice asked the moment she began to stir a bit more.

The girl was awake now, but didn't open her eyes. Did she honestly think she could trick him by pretending to be asleep?

“Who is Souta?” he asked once more needed to collect a bit more information so he could think of something, “someone close to you? I know that you hear me.”

“My brother,” she said in a low parched voice though still keeping her eyes shut.

“Does your brother know who I am?”

No answer, but Sesshoumaru had no qualms about slowly pacing over to the small bed and leaning over her.

“You will look at me Kagome,” he said her name as though it was poison, “you've come this far in your deceit. It would disappoint the people of this city if you weren't at least forced to face the mistake you've caused.

The girl slowly began to open her brown chocolate eyes and what had he been expecting? Her eyes could have remained closed and it wouldn't have mattered. All these humans had the same dull looking eyes showing that they were weak and not even meant to be compared to the powerful race that was the youkai.

“You're going to start killing aren't you?” her weak voice ringed in his ear when he finally looked away, “just like before.”

“Yes I am,” was his answer, “and it's all thanks to you isn't it?”

Weakness and remorse flashed in her eyes, but at that point Sesshoumaru decided to stop. Was he bored and excited by the fact he was alive once more that he found it amusing to torture this girl? He was never one for talking and relied on his actions to make his intentions quit obvious. His war captain Naraku on the other hand would have found all of this quite amusing.

Could Naraku be summoned to this world as well? Sesshoumaru hoped not, that bastard could rot in the Netherplane for all he cared. Rather than focusing on eliminating the humans as fast as possible, the foolish creature decided to torture families making them betray one another and forcing them to choose who would die first. If it hadn't been for that demon's addiction to dismay Midoriko never would have opposed them resulting in all of this.

To think this Sesshoumaru almost went down to Naraku's level, plotting to harm this girl's family. They would all die the same, all except Kagome.

“Your heart beats strong,” he then said in a low voice, “despite the fact that your so filled with fear...”

Clearly he was waiting for some kind of response. Kagome didn't understand why he was playing games with her? What did he want? Wasn't it obvious he could do as he pleased now, but finally when she did speak...it wasn't the right answer.

“It's your heart inside of me.”

Growls quickly erupted from him as he was quickly reminded that inside his strong body was her weak beating heart. What he would give to rip the impure disgusting part away from him....

“Did you honestly believe you could send me back to that prison?” he was referring to the Netherplane as he held Tsubaki's staff tightly in his hand, “that you could control me, a pitiful human like you.”

He thought this would be simple. He could just intimidate her and go on, but her voice filled with defiance bothered him.

“I can't,” was her answer, her brown eyes no longer looking plain as she sat up, “but someone out there can. I have no magic talent, but there is a large number of humans like me who control taiyoukai everyday. You are no different than them....all you are is lucky that I was the one who summoned you and not someone else, or you would be nothing more than a puppet.”

Within a flash he'd grabbed Kagome back the neck and pushed her up against the cold wall. Everything she said was right. In this world despite his strength he was no better than the other brainless demons that served the humans, but he didn't believe in luck. He believed in fate. The Gods above wanted this to happen for him to rule again, and maybe teach these humans a lesson for being nothing more rats that used lies and false promises to get what they wanted to make up for their lack in strength.

It also didn't help this girl that the tone in her voice was driving him up the wall.

Kagome knew that he couldn't kill her, so her gaze never faltered even as he threatened to choke the life out of her. He stared at her intensely for a few moments longer before his lips shaped itself into a smirk. For some reason she knew that wasn't good, Sesshoumaru didn't seem like he was capable of smiling.

He soon released her allowing her to fall hard on to the ground, “I was thinking about breaking this staff into two so you couldn't use it, but it's not as though I have to fear you ever using it. Instead I'm going to try an experiment.”

Sesshoumaru turned his back and walked a few paces away from Kagome before turning around and glaring at her again pointing the staff at her.

“What are you planning?” she asked, “even I could use that better than you. You're just a demon and you've never been through training.”

His gaze didn't falter, “In my opinion it's nothing more than magic words and meditation. Hard to believe my summoner could be so dim you cannot ever master that. Now what is the word for returning creatures to the Netherplane?”

Could he be honestly planning to do what she thought he was going to do? It would never work...no one had ever tried it before. There was no reason to tell him that though, because he would probably never listen to her, so instead of letting him have the satisfaction of watching her there on the ground all crumbled up she gave him the answer.

“K'eth,” she told him in a low whisper knowing he could hear it, “it returns demons to the Netherplane.”

“And you are far from a demon, but you do have my heart so I wonder...”

Before she could tell him how dumb this little plot of his was he smirked pointing the snakes head at her. Those gem eyes were the ones glaring at her now as Sesshoumaru closed his eyes gathering all of his strength together.

“K'eth,” he spoke.

“No,” Kagome tried to move away, but she was too late as a huge beam went through her chest making her evaporate and forever disappear.

So the deed was done.

Sesshoumaru smirked dropping the staff to the ground. This had been a great plan of his indeed. Not only was he given one more chance at life, but now he could begin to wreck havoc upon this world once more as he did before, and without that girl's life being a factor in his plan.

Perhaps he could have done that at anytime, but it was best to always have a plan. He couldn't kill all the humans off this time, and would have to instead settle for ruling over them. All demons were imprisoned, and killing off summoners and holy soldiers would only strengthen the barrier. Things would be better this way, for Sesshoumaru didn't need company, and upon his imprisonment he often thought about how things would have turned out if fate dealt him a different hand.

He accepted his loss now, and almost embraced it knowing that if he had finished off all the humans when he had a chance the world would be nothing more than demons challenging each other to reign. Hunting humans was probably the only thing that stopped them all from killing one and another off the planet, and now it was just his.

"Try and take it," a voice, almost female sounding warned him in his head, "what would you do with it?"

His eyes searched around the compound, but found nothing. It was probably his over excited mind just playing tricks on him. The memory of Kagome daring to defy him with her tone in such a way was still etched in his mind making him think of what her response would be.

"You didn't answer the question," she said in the corner of his mind, "what would you do with it? Is it enough to satisfy you? What is it that you want Sesshoumaru?"

He had no reason to answer himself, so he managed to ignore it as he opened the door out of the cold room. Had the door been locked? The force on the knob had been so much pressure it would have broke, and that was him hardly using any effort. This would all be too easy. Altaria was the world's biggest city, and he would have it conquered by sun down.

____________________________

Sango sighed sitting on the city steps no longer caring about the staff she'd worked so hard for. She wanted to see her friend Kagome so bad, but she'd been locked away. Did no one know what to do? So what if she summoned the worst demon to ever exist? Couldn't she control it? It should have been a good thing....

Instead of having answers and being able to see her, Sango was forced to be on guard at all times like every warrior in the city incase something went wrong. To top it off they all just received reports that something in the nearby forest was killing off new summoners, and the most horrifying thing about it was that their summoned demons couldn't be found. The scene always showed signs of a struggle so creatures were brought in, but there were no youkai bodies. Now they all had to ask themselves if it was possible for demons to be freed from their master's control, as well as if they would all be safe.

"So how does it feel to be a Grand Summoner?" Sango smiled at Ayame who was nearby staring intensely at her rose staff.

"I'm scared," she vocalized everything that had gone through Sango's head, "and what's the deal with Kagome. Before we graduated people were talking about how she wasn't really the best student and probably lied about her grades- and this happens."

"You worried that she stole your thunder Ayame? Selfish enough?"

Ayame finally managed to crack a smile, "You know it's not that. Though I thought I looked pretty hot when I went up to the altar."

"I thought we were on high alert," Kouga growled nearby of course standing on the steps, "out of all the summoners I wind up with the-”

"Shut up!" Ayame yelled at him and then smiled when he had no choice to obey, "it will be cute seeing Kagome control Sesshoumaru like that."

"Cute," Kouga spat out in disgust, "I don't know or give a shit about whatever magic you humans use but no human could ever control Lord Sesshoumaru. He would kill himself before ever letting such a thing happen."

The wolf youkai only fumed when Ayame giggled, "Whose the scared little puppy? You are actually calling him Lord Sesshoumaru? He can't hurt you; Kagome knows her stuff and demons can't fight our magic."

"Stupid human... None of us like Sesshoumaru, and we were never a huge demon army like your stupid history books makes us out to be. He was nothing but an extremist who took matters into his own hands, but he’s a Lord because of his power. It's about respect."

"Whatever," she rolled her eyes.

"Ayame please!" Sango said looking terrified, "maybe his got a point."

"What point? Why should we respect something that can be controlled by a stick? Its destiny....they were sealed up and now we rule over them."

"You keep telling yourself that," he just muttered.

Demons were in tune with nature, even weak minded ones such as Kouga. Something was wrong, as though it was a warning that humans couldn't sense nor take seriously. Things were about to change.

SMASH

"SUMMONERS ASSEMBLE!!!!" someone in charge screamed the moment some huge wooden structure in the middle of town was destroyed.

Kouga smiled before rushing out to the town square under Ayame's control, because he already knew what it was. Sesshoumaru was in charge and he was ready to show the world and its inhabitants that there would be punishment for thinking they could ever reign over youkai.

At least that's what Kouga thought...

He expected to find Sesshoumaru letting blood spill all around him before demanding to know where the leader of the city was, but instead he had been walking around as though he was dizzy smashing his body against structures growling up a fury with his eyes bright red. He stopped for a moment when Sango and Ayame approached, and that's when Kouga realized he'd been an idiot. He had to protect Ayame....meaning he would have to fight Sesshoumaru who was not being controlled by anyone.

Sango quickly rose her staff up in the air ready to summon Kirara, "Nam-

"What was that?" Sesshoumaru's ragged voice asked before he ran forward and picked Sango up by the collar of her outfit, "What is the word?"

Sango breathed hard shocked not expecting her first battle to be anything like this.

"If that wolf comes near me she dies," Sesshoumaru then growled at Ayame having no time for games, "what is the word that accesses the Netherplane?"

"Don't tell him Sango!" Ayame called, "he might use it for something."

Sango seemed worried about something else though, "Where's Kagome?"

Kagome was supposed to be near him. Demons and their summoners were never far apart, but there wasn't a single sign of her let alone the terrifying image of her battered defeated body.

Sesshoumaru growled ferociously at Sango, "Get the wench away from me!!!"

Neither Sango nor any of the other summoners around knew what Sesshoumaru was talking about. They were too busy deciding if Sango's life was worth sacrificing in order to get an advantage over the world's most feared creature. No one noticed that Sesshoumaru was fighting a battle inside his head that he was losing.

"Put her down Sesshoumaru," Kagome's voice was so loud in his head.

Why was he able to kill those who begged for mercy loudly? Or destroy villages while its citizens cried loudly? He was able to do all that but this girl's voice in his head loud and clear and preventing him from doing anything.

"Silence," Sesshoumaru tried to get control of himself before returning to threaten Sango, "if you want that wench alive you'll tell me the word!"

Why were these humans taking so long to decide if they could give up a word or not? Couldn't they see he was mentally being pushed over the edge?

"Oh Sesshoumaru," her voice mocked in his head, "Sango is so much weaker than you. You could snap her in two right now, but yet you won't. I won't allow you to and she's as well as the other summoners are the only ones who can give you the answer. How does it feel to bow to them."

"This Sesshoumaru bows to no one bitch."

"Really?"

The voice in his head started to laugh; she had been right for there weren’t many options. These weaklings refused to give up the word and if he threatened her the girl in his mind would continue. Her insults or observations didn't disturb him for words were just words to him, but there was something about the pitch and defiance that was setting his instincts haywire.

"Fine," he roared before dropping Sango and turning around arguing with the air, "you know the word so tell me wench! Don't you seek your freedom?"

"Lord Sesshoumaru."

Words were just words, but hearing that made Sesshoumaru turn around. He was under attack right now by humans who knew nothing of his power, and yet someone, who could destroy him now while he was weak, would call him such?

It was Ayame of all people thinking back on the conversation they had earlier.

"Don't Ayame," Hojo just arrived and tried to warn her.

"I don't stand a chance against Sesshoumaru," Kouga than noted who was at his Summoner's side, "only chance we have is if someone else summons, and he would hear the word anyway."

Ayame nodded with thoughts of how obvious that was as well as Kagome's well-being, "Namaarie is the word Lord Sesshoumaru."

Completely out of character the taiyoukai actually nodded towards her, but only after the voice in his head kept noting he was rude before removing the staff that he had kept tied to his side. He breathed hard trying to calm himself before holding the snake stave out towards the sky.

"Namaarie," he breathed before a blue swirl of fire erupted from the heavens.

Seconds after Kagome returned to the Earth from the Netherplane Sesshoumaru gripped tightly on the staff breaking it in two so it could never be used again. The voice was out of his head, so he could now just kill everybody who witnessed him in such a weak state. He did no such thing though, and instead glared at the girl who looked confused.

"If you value your lives," his hardened voice rang through the town, "then you will leave me and my summoner to our own affairs."

He was more curious than murderous at the moment, as well as in range for attack by Kouga or whatever these humans could call upon. Maybe he would have to think upon eliminating this group as well, because when he ruled over he would need someone of power working under him to unsure his word became law. That Ayame woman seemed to understand what he was about and it didn't hurt that he recognized her demon.

"I'm not leaving you Kagome," Sango was about to charge towards her friend but within a swift motion Sesshoumaru moved before her to keep the two girls separate.

"Foolish woman you will leave us," his voice made it obvious this would be his last warning before someone got hurt, "whether or not your friend is returned in one piece is up to her."

Sango gulped looking towards Kagome who seemed to have a blank stare at the moment before sighing and nodded.

"Namaarie," Sango huffed making Kirara quickly come to her side, "I will be near if you try anything."

Though it wasn't the time or place to think on it Kagome's guilt level quickly grew. Sango and Ayame had only associated with her because they believed she would be a role model having a sister like Kikyo and being destined to be a Grand Summoner. She lied to them this whole time about her progress and because of it they were willing to die to defend her.

"Now," Sesshoumaru's gaze returned to Kagome the moment they were alone, "that little trick of yours will cost you your health."

Before the taiyoukai could come close to her a very nervous Kagome grabbed a piece of glass off the ground. She held it towards her wrist with that look of defiance in her eyes.

"If you come near me Sesshoumaru," she began pressing it to her skin, "I'll kill myself. I don't have a staff or talent, but if I die you do as well."

She expected him to attack her, or perhaps honor her wish and ignore her, but instead...he gave off a slight laugh.

"You are holding the object incorrectly," he noted, "if you use that method you'll do nothing more than bleed for a while giving me enough time to save your worthless life. Currently I'm not considered with your well being especially after that little stunt."

Finally that look of defiance had disappeared. He'd been expecting her to finally retreat into a state of fear, but instead all he got was confusion.

"What stunt?"

"Do not play stupid girl!” He wanted so badly to strike her but still took the piece of glass she held into consideration, "I sent you to the Netherplane. How were you able to read and access my mind?"

"Your mind?" she asked making the stupid decision of dropping the glass, "that place you sent me to- the Netherplane I guess. All I know was that I was really cold and felt as though I was sleeping. It felt like I was out for a while before you brought me back...I pulled no 'stunt'."

He didn't want to believe her. That voice in his head mocking and laughing at him turning him into a mess had been hers. She described the Netherplane perfectly though meaning she had been there, and usually he could smell out lies.

"And you expect anyone to trust you after your lies got you into this mess," he threw out wanting to sting her a bit the way she attempted to do in his head.

"I'm not lying," she declared, "you are a powerful demon and I am pretty weak-”

Okay now he was listening.

"Maybe to make up for what I lacked we combined more than just heart and soul."

He thought about it for a moment, "You were able to tap into my mind, and since you don't recall any of it I believe I gained your self-conscious. It was only able to get to me the moment you left my side so I assume it only works when you're gone."

"And the only way to get rid of me is to send me to the Netherplane...."

"Which I can no longer do," he noted as though he was thinking hard, "and I suppose I cannot attack your friends again. I can't keep an eye on you to make sure you're not cutting yourself up. I could see you killing yourself for them...you owe them that much."

Kagome muttered highly annoyed, "Okay I lied. I get it. Why do you care, you're here."

"Despite what you know of me I find lying very disrespectful never doing it myself. Now what to do with you?"

What was this? Kagome looked forward with interest. She assumed the moment he got a chance he would rip through Altaria killing anyone in his way. Instead he was thinking this all over again.

"Sesshoumaru," she whispered.

"Lord Sesshoumaru to you," he quickly corrected, "and you should be silent while I decide your fate. Now I heard something about you becoming a demon?"

"Yes Sess- Lord Sesshoumaru. Demons as strong as you have a huge influence on the human heart and eventually I'll be picking up demon attributes."

"As a demon can you threaten me with your life?"

"I don't know. No summoner has ever fully changed they are assassinated the moment it starts."

"I will just have to experiment and see what happens," was his plain response, "I have no intention of letting them get near you. Your fate will be decided by me and me alone."

No. Kagome couldn't allow that. No matter how merciful Sesshoumaru was being right now he was still the worst creature to have ever roamed the Earth, and she couldn't let him succeed in any plan of his. She would not become a demon for it seemed her transformation would be used to his advantage, so no matter what when the time came she would take her own life. Sesshoumaru had been right, she owed everyone that much.

"How long do I have before your transformation girl?"

"My sister use to control a powerful demon and she remained herself for about five years."

"So five years then," he said, "very well. For five years all that is important to you will remain safe as I plan exactly how I will deal with you humans."

He didn't have to. Without being in his head like he stated she'd done he had no reason to factor her in. If he really wanted to kill everyone off he would have found a way to restrain her so she couldn't harm herself as he continued with his plot. Whatever his deal was she would accept his offer until she could come up with a plan herself.

"That is generous Lord Sesshoumaru," she said disgusted with herself.

"If you can't thank me properly than you won't talk on your own terms," he simply noted walking off a ways.

"And what terms can I thank you on?"

"If you don't want chaos to ensue you shall tell everyone how you lied. I will not associate with someone so disrespectful. You will begin apologizing tomorrow morning. For now this Sesshoumaru shall rest."

Kagome at first hadn't been listening thinking it was all just chatter but then stopped in her tracks, "Wait what?"

"You've done everyone wrong and you shall apologize. I will hear no more defiance from you right now. I have a headache from all your mindless shouting."

Today should have been one for the history books, an entry that could even rival Kikyo's achievements. Kagome Higurashi had managed to call upon the most terrifying youkai in the universe, and rather than witnessing murders on a battlefield she was being forced to apologize to everyone because her moral standards weren't up to par with his. Just great.

Chapter End Notes:

E-mail: tomikahapner@att.net

Facebook: Tomika Hapner

Twitter: TamashaToko

 Remember to add me to your friend's list on Netflix ^_^