Remembrances by doggieearlover
Summary: Sometimes anniversaries are bittersweet...
Categories: Drabbles, Angst/ Drama, Angst/ Drama > One-Shots Characters: Sesshoumaru
Challenges: None
Series: Time Is The Enemy of Mortals
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1039 Read: 2637 Published: 06 Dec 2008 Updated: 06 Dec 2008

1. Remembrances by doggieearlover

Remembrances by doggieearlover

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. 


Remembrances


He did not know how many years had passed. Each year, on this same day, he trekked to this spot. Every year, on the anniversary, he remembered.

He remembered how she found him and tried to help him, even though he said that he did not want it; how she continued to bring him food, though he would not eat. He remembered her appearing before him beaten, and then her smile when he asked what had happened, though she never spoke a word. And he remembered scenting her blood on the wind before he found her little body torn and battered, ravaged by wolves. He would forever remember Tenseiga pulsing at his side, requesting to be drawn.

Though he hated to admit it, the life of the stoic demon lord had changed in that instant. As the girl's heart started to beat and she took a breath, he helped her stand. From that day forward he had been a bit tempered by the young girl that always followed him, always obeyed him.

The years had passed and she stayed with him, refusing to leave him for more the conventional companionship that she could have found in a human village. He had given his permission, even though it would have been difficult for him to see her go. Instead, she stayed by his side, growing into a proper lady and beautiful woman.

Many had come to court her, but she had never married, saying that she wanted no man. He knew he held her heart, and in truth, she held his as well. However, they had never consummated their love for each other, each forced to remain content with being in the other's presence. For the Great Demon Lord of the Western Lands refused to follow in his father's footsteps and take a human as a mate. So, while they had never joined as one, they were never far from one another. Her company helped soothe him, and she became his confidant. For even though she was human, she was observant and wise beyond her years. Because of her advice, he was able to successfully rule the growing number of humans that populated his territory while other demon lords were embroiled in constant battles. While other youkai were falling prey to humans as guns and gunpowder became more widespread, he discovered the humans in his territory were actually defending his rule, saying they had been well-treated and provided protection when needed. It was all because of her.

He had eventually taken a fine, proper Inu-youkai bitch as his wife in order to produce an heir. He did not take her as his mate because he could not love her, for his heart belonged to someone else. But still, he did care for her and made sure that she wanted for nothing. They only time that they had truly fought was over the human that had been with him since her eighth summer. The wife finally came to understand that while he would not allow himself to have the woman, neither could he let her go. She came to accept this for the life of the Lady of the Western Lands was one of pomp and circumstance. She would have to acknowledge that while she would never truly have his heart, she would be able to give him the one thing the human never could - an heir. And so his wife did, and they practically lived separate lives within the castle, coming together for official functions or when their basic, more primal physical desires needed it. As a result, she did produce him a fine son as an heir, as well as several daughters.

The human woman remained with him. She congratulated him on the birth of his pups, and still gave him a warm smile whenever she saw him. He made sure she was taken care of, not wanting for anything as his own wife did not, with the one exception of what she had truly desired. She said that she understood, but he knew that it broke her heart. He tried to explain his own hatred of his very brother to her, all because he was hanyou. Though that hatred had vanished years past, he sometimes wished he had made amends with his brother. But he had disappeared. It seemed that he had vanished from the face of the earth after Naraku was defeated, along with the little miko that the demon lord knew that he loved. At one time he had actually searched for him, at the urge of the woman who was still a child at the time. All he had unearthed were rumors that the hanyou had returned with the strange miko to her home. Maybe, someday, he would find him. He knew his brother could easily live a thousand years, probably more. He had promised, before she passed on, that he would try again.

The girl had grown into a beautiful woman, but eventually age began to creep up on her and she grew old. It saddened the demon lord to watch her age before him, but such was the life of a mortal. It was one of the reasons he had never claimed her as his. He could have lengthened her life somewhat, but it would have crushed him to give himself wholly to her and then to lose her. She said she understood. She told him that she had never loved another, and what he had given her had been enough. She lived far longer than most humans did because of the extraordinary care she had been given. And when it was time, she had not died alone because he was by her side. He had called in a priest from a nearby village to help her into the afterlife, and then he had properly buried her. Her grave had only a stone as its marker, but was surrounded by a clearing that he made certain always had an abundance of wildflowers that he knew she would have loved. And every single year, on the anniversary of her death, Sesshomaru would come to visit with his Rin.

This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=966