An Ending by prairie inu
Summary: My interpretation on how the IY saga could end.
Categories: Action/ Adventure, Romance Characters: Byakuya, Ginta, Hakkaku, Inu Yasha, Kagome Higurashi
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 2328 Read: 8574 Published: 02 Oct 2007 Updated: 13 Jan 2008
Story Notes:
All characters in this story are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am writing for my own enjoyment & not for profit.

1. Chapter 1 : Setting the stage by prairie inu

2. Chapter 2 - At Last The Battle by prairie inu

Chapter 1 : Setting the stage by prairie inu
Author's Notes:
To set the scene....

Kagome slowly surveyed the interior of the abandoned building they were using as a refuge. Everyone was resting, even InuYasha. He was leaning against the wall nearest to the entrance, ready for anyone who would try to disturb them. They had been having skirmishes with Naraku’s forces for weeks now. But the devious one would never involve himself in the battles. It usually a group of low-level demons with the promise of power from him. When they happened upon this shelter, they decided it was time for some much-needed rest. After Miroku had placed several protection sutra around the building, they finally relaxed. They needed to restore their energies. It was all too apparent that the next battle would be the last.

As she looked around the room, a wistful smile grew. These were her friends and allies. They had shared the journey to heal the Shikon and to avenge wrongs done to them by Naraku.

Kohaku and Sango slept using Kirara as their pillow while Miroku leaned against the fire cat's back. Kohaku was once again fighting beside his sister. When Sesshoumaru and his pack joined up with them, Kohaku had asked Kagome to remove the shard from his body. He would rather die that be controlled again. With the group gathered round for support and Miroku praying softly in the background, Kagome touched his neck to remove the shard. She felt a strong heartbeat beneath her fingertips. With startled eyes, Kagome looked up to Miroku and grabbed his shrouded hand. Miroku opened his eyes to see Kagome. She took his hand and placed it beside her hand on Kohaku. His eyes widened and his head nodded in confirmation of her suspicion. She then gently removed the shard from the young slayer’s body. For a few moments, there was silence, and then Kohaku asked why everyone was hesitating. He was stunned to find that he was freed. “What in the hell is going on....”, was InuYasha’s comment as Sango embraced her brother and sobbed tears of joy at his deliverance from the shard’s influence. The shard had acted like a magic life-support system, allowing his battered body to heal. Only when he was fully healed did the shard allow his memory and free will to reassert itself. After his reunion with Sango, they both started to train hard with Kirara to make sure that they were ready to face Naraku in the final battle.

Off to one side, Rin and Shippo slept. The two youngsters had become close friends, which made life for Jaken even crazier at times. Ah and Un were guarding them - one head snoozing while the other was on guard for unseen danger.

Sesshoumaru was sitting with his back against the wall, eyes closed but alert to the possibility of danger. His right arm rested on his knee and his left hand was on the hilt of Tenseiga. Kagome glanced at his regenerated hand. The return of this missing limb was the first time she had told the others of the whispered voice that had been helping her since she had received her new bow.

When Sesshoumaru and his pack arrived and the usual verbal posturing between the two brothers had started , Kagome heard the whispery echoing voice saying “heal”. She was within arm’s reach of the Taiyouki at the time. She slowly reached out with her hand and, with her fingertip, touched the stump of the demon lord’s left arm. Time seemed to stand still as both brothers watched a silvery light travel from the fingertip to the stump. The glow swirled down from the amputated limb. Then the light faded ,revealing the regenerated left arm. Sesshoumaru raised his renewed hand and turned it back and forth before his face. InuYasha’s yelling broke the silence. What....How the Hell did you do that ?”, was his comment. “ Yes, miko, I would also would know why and how this happened to this Sesshoumaru”.

“I can’t really explain the how, I can only explain the why. Since I received this bow at Mount Azusa , a voice has been guiding me in battle. This is the first time that I’ve heard it outside of battle. I heard the word “heal” and the next thing I knew , I was touching Sesshoumaru’s shoulder.’

Kagome felt uncomfortable admitting this fact because it sounded a little far-fetched. But when Sango, InuYasha and Sesshoumaru told of their weapons being sentient and expressing themselves to their owners, she felt calmer. The voice had never been wrong. It almost felt like she was following her heart’s voice. “For whatever reason, this is a welcome gift , miko”, Sesshoumaru voiced as he slightly bowed his head with respect.

After that the animosity between the two brothers slowly lessened. Not to say that they were best of friends, but arguments were of a constructive nature rather that the trading of useless time-consuming insults and skirmishes.

On Tenseiga’s handle was a string with several white feathers tied with to it .Sesshoumaru never explained this ornamentation to his sword. But Rin explained that this was all that remained of Kagura. He was using this as a lady’s favor in battle to honor Kagura as well as to allow some part of her to join in the destruction of her former master.

Kouga, Ginta and Hakkaku were also with the group. They had joined up with the pack yesterday as they were battling Byakuya, the last of Naraku’s “incarnations”. Even without his shards, Kouga’s provided a whirlwind downdraft that prevented Byakuya ‘s escape from the combined forces of the pack.

Kagome sighed again and closed her eyes. The final battle against Naraku was looming and yet she couldn’t find the rest she needed. So many questions remained unanswered - Would Naraku’s final defeat be the answer they all had been seeking ? What would happen when the Shikon no Tama was healed ? Who would survive the battle?

As she opened her eyes again, she noticed InuYasha looking back at her. Silently, he stood up and walked towards her. As he reached her, he sat down beside her and looked at her again. “ What’s wrong ?Why aren’t you sleeping like the rest ?”,he asked. She looked back at him and then placed her head on his shoulder. He brought his arm around her and pulled her closer. “I just can’t relax”, she confessed. “I look around here and see all our friends. And I know in my heart that we may lose some or all of them in the coming battle. I don’t want to lose anyone.”

“Kagome, no matter what happens to any of us, we will be fighting because of what we believe in and that’s the truth. We’ve struggled to get to this point. You think we’d let Naraku stop us now ? Hell, no ! That bastard doesn’t stand a chance! So go to sleep already !”

“You’re right”, she sighed, then relaxed against him. He always made her feel safe. That was her last thought as she drifted off to sleep.

End Notes:
next....the final battle !
Chapter 2 - At Last The Battle by prairie inu
With the sunrise, the members of the pack stirred and started to ready themselves for the day ahead. A quick discussion resulted in Ah-Un taking Shippo , Jaken and Rin to the safety of Kaede's protection. As they faded into the horizon, the pack continued their journey.
It was late that morning that Naraku started the final battle. And he had chosen his army well. Along with the usual low level demons, he had used the power of the Shikon to bring back some old enemies - the Birds of Paradise, Mistress Centipede, the Spider-heads as well as Tsukumo no Gama [the toad demon] . But this time the pack anticipated something like this could happen. Kouga’s group with Sango, Kohaku, Kirara and Miroku battled these lesser demons.
That left Sesshoumaru, InuYasha and Kagome to face Naraku. The brothers started their attack immediately. But Kagome hesitated . Something didn’t seem right. She couldn’t sense the Shikon no Tama from where the fighting was taking place. Never the less she raised her sacred arrow to the bow and released it with a blast of purifying fire. The figure of Naraku vanished in their combined attacks. Suddenly, she felt the presence of the jewel - it was behind her ! They had been battling a demon puppet. The real Naraku had used the deception to catch all of them off-guard . As she whipped around to face him, Naraku backhanded her across the face and knocked her to the ground.The brothers rushed to her aid but they were too late As she struggled to rise, he hit her again, this time using his clawed hand. Kagome shrieked as the claws tore through her clothing and into her flesh. He held up the last shards of the jewel that she possessed and added them to his and completed the Shikon. She placed her hand to her side and pulled it away, revealing her bloodstained fingers. Naraku turned his clawed hand into tentacle and grabbed Kagome around her neck. “I’m ending this now! You were never worth anything other than your gift to see the shards ! Just a pitiful human who should have never been involved in this struggle for power. Now die !”
She heard InuYasha calling out to her. Her vision started to blur, then fade to grey when the whispery voice called out to her again.
Dearest child, heal....
What did that mean ? Heal ?
To heal is to comfort and to forgive.
Suddenly, She knew what to do. Kagome reached out with the last of her strength and with her bloody hands , touched Naraku’s face. The triumphant leer started to fade from Naraku’s face. What was she up to ? His grip on her neck lessened as he heard her voice. She looked directly into her enemy's eyes.
“I forgive you Onigumo,” she whispered. A pale lavender light surrounded her body and flowed from her fingertips to engulf Naraku. He was frozen , unable to move as this purifying light enveloped him then spread out across the battlefield. His minions were either purified or collapsed unmoving to the ground as they encounter the light.
But Kagome took no notice of these happenings. As she watched Naraku , she was aware that she had been joined in the purifying light. She felt hands on her shoulders. She sensed that this was the source of the whispery voice that had guided her. As she looked over her shoulder, she saw the translucent glowing face of Midoriko. The warrior priestess placed her hands over Kagome’s hands. With a gentle pull , their hands left Naraku’s face. His eyes opened even wider with fear. “Onigumo......for you to be truly healed, you must begin your life anew.”
The light surrounding pulsed then became blinding. As the light faded to nothing, a sleeping baby, the Shikon and a spider as large as a human fist were all that remain of Naraku. As the spider scampered away , InuYasha swung Tetseiga and with the Wind Scar, destroyed the demon arachnid . Thus ended the long reign of terror.
Kagome collapsed to her hands and knees and gasped for air. InuYasha landed beside her and raised her up into a sitting position until her breathing settled into a normal pattern. He then hugged her and whispered "It's finally over ! We've done it."
Kagome turned to see the ghostly figure of Midoriko lean down to pick up the jewel and the sleeping infant. Before Kagome could utter a word , the warrior priestess smiled and said “Thank-You”
The survivors now approached Kagome and the warrior priestess. Midoriko looked up and noticed InuYasha as he helped Kagome to stand up. “Welcome and thank you for you help, kinsman”, she said with a smile. “Kinsman ?” was his puzzled reply. “We are of the same blood, InuYasha. Your mother was descended from my family. I am glad to see that my family line still survives “
He diverted his eyes from her. Had she not noticed his half-demon heritage? “I do not judge you by your appearance ,young one. I see the you- within-you and I see only good. You are a worthy descendant of both my family and of the great Inu-Tashio. And someone else here has already seen and values the goodness”, she said as she turned toward Kagome.
“ Kagome, by now you have guessed that the bow you won at Mount Azusa was mine. It was a way that I could help to bring this evil tainting the jewel to an end. The bow is now yours. Through the courage of you and your companions, the Shikon is now healed. Have you decided on your wish ?”
“We no longer need the jewel to grant our wishes. Through the hard work leading to this battle and our victory, we have everything we wanted”, was Kagome’s reply. It was true. Everyone had what they wanted. Miroku ‘s curse had ended with Naraku's passing and the wind tunnel had closed. He and Sango were standing side-by-side with arms over each other’s shoulders. Sango had her brother back. InuYasha had learned the powers of his Tetsaiga and also to balance his human, demon and hanyou natures. And Kagome.... well, she had matured in to a strong self assured woman with the love and companionship of her stalwart and brave companion - InuYasha.
Kirara strolled to Midoriko side. The priestess reached out and caressed the firecat's forehead. "It's been a long time, friend," she murmured as she continued to pet her. She returned her attention to the pack. "If you are not yet ready to make your wish, I would like to request a favour from you . I would like for you to accompany me as I return to the place of my final battle . I would like to be there as I celebrate the ending of the battle within Shikon no Tama". "It would be our honour and pleasure", was InuYasha reply.
This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=90