The Fool by Laria
Summary:

A songfic based on Lee Ann Womack's "The Fool".


Categories: General Characters: Ayame, Hojo, Inu Yasha, Kagome Higurashi, Kagura, Kouga, Sesshoumaru
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 701 Read: 2193 Published: 08 Sep 2007 Updated: 08 Sep 2007

1. Chapter 1 by Laria

Chapter 1 by Laria
Disclaimer: Inuyasha and all affiliated characters, settings, etc. are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. “The Fool” belongs to Lee Ann Womack or whomsoever the original song was authored by.


You don't know me, but I know who you are.
Mind if I sit down?
Do I look familiar? If I don't well I should.
I'm sure you've seen me around.
I know that you've probably heard my name,
though we've not been introduced.


Kagome sighed mournfully as she watched Inuyasha disappear into the dense foliage. The group has heard rumors of a jewel shard in the eastern provinces. Unfortunately, the rumor proved false. So naturally they’d made camp in clearing in the forest at sunset. Which, naturally, just happened to be the forest that Kikyo was traveling through with her soul collectors.

“Inuyasha...you’re such a fool.” Kagome said hiding tear filled eyes.

Im the fool in love with the fool, who is still in love with you.

“Hey Kouga, there’s a rumor that there’s jewel shards in the east!” Hakkaku panted when he finally found the wolf prince.

Koga zero-ed in on the words “shards” and “east”.

“If there’s shards then sis will be there.” Ginta added.

“Alright we’re heading east.” Koga declared, disappearing in a torrent of speed.

“Hey Kouga wait up!” They implored.

‘Kagome...you deserve better than that two-timing mutt-face.’ Was Koga’s only thought.

If you've got a minute, I'll buy you a drink.
I've got something to say.
It might sound crazy, but last night in his sleep,
I heard him call out your name. This ain’t the first time,
he’s done it before and its hard to face the truth.

Not twenty feet away Ayame watched as Kouga and his underlings disappeared into the night.

“Kouga...why?” She asked softly. “Why can’t you love me?”

Tears escaped from her eyes unbidden as she watched him run away, run away to her, to Kagome.

“Damn you Kagome!” She said more forcefully. “Damn you for being to selfless to hate! Damn you for being...for being...for being my friend.”

I’m the fool in love with the fool, who is still in love with you.

Stoic, indifferent, unconcerned, immovable. That’s what she thought of him. Heartless. That’s what they believed him to be. He, Sesshoumaru, the Killing Perfection, the ruthless demon lord possessed of no emotion what-so-ever. How wrong they were. If only she could see, see the passion simmering just below the surface. If only she could feel his longing, his need...If only she could feel his love.

I know love is a fragile thing, and im trying hard to make it last,
but it ain’t easy holding on to my dream, when he’s holding on to the past.

“I wish to be free, as free as the wind.” Kagura recited to herself.

‘I wish to know love.’ She thought wistfully. ‘If only...do not fool yourself Kagura,’ she chided herself. ‘The Western Lord will never hold such feeling for one such as you...for the spawn of Naraku.’ A lone tear slid down her cheek. ‘But still I can dream...’

Just one more thing, before I go. Im not here to put you down.
You don’t love him and that’s a fact. Girl I’ve seen you around.
You hold his heart in the palm of your hand, and it's breaking mine in two

Kikyo walked calmly through the forest, silently hoping that Inuyasha would not find her, yet...yet she prayed that he did. As much as she hated to turn away his love, the love she longed to return, in her heart she knew that she lived for those precious moments, fleeting as they maybe, so she could look upon the countenance of the one she loved so dearly. The one that was falling in love with her reincarnation. The one she could no longer claim for her own, the one she could not stay with. The one she could not kill. ‘Inuyasha.’

Cause I'M the fool in love with the fool who's still in love with you
Im the fool in love with the fool, who is still in love with you.
This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=60