Conditional by King Cobbler
Summary: Inuyasha means to leave the distraught Kagome to look for Kikyo after an improptu kiss by the girl in question. Kagome is left facing a storm of unruly emotions while her predecessor is faced with a much more devestating circumstance; Death.
Categories: Romance, Romance > InuYasha/ Kagome, Romance > InuYasha/ Kikyo, Romance > Miroku/ Sango, Romance > Kouga/ Ayame Characters: Ah-Un, Ayame, Inu Yasha, Jaken, Kagome Higurashi, Kagome's Grandfather, Kagome's Mom, Kikyo, Kirara, Kouga, Miroku, Rin, Sango, Sesshoumaru, Shinidamachu, Shippo, Souta Higurashi
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 6031 Read: 2261 Published: 28 Jul 2008 Updated: 28 Jul 2008

1. Me, Myself by King Cobbler

Me, Myself by King Cobbler
Author's Notes:
A/N: This really was a product of it's own making. The ending even suprised me. Remember to read and review, I need all the help I can get. Disclaimer: This is all totally not mine.

He stared at her, sometimes, out of the corner of his eyes. It was only occasionally and most usually after a run in with a certain undead priestess, but it was still disconcerting.

It wasn’t as if the covert glances themselves offended her. In fact, she’d probably feel flattered if it weren’t for the way in which he looked. He didn’t see her, but seemed to be staring past her at some long dead phantom of who she could be, or who she once was.

When he looked at her he wasn’t seeing Kagome, friend and companion, but a world of past regret. Her presence alone seemed to remind him of mistakes made long ago and if, by chance, his golden orbs met her own, he’d look away as if ashamed.

She’d tried, God how she’d tried, to be better, to be equal to all that Inuyasha had lost, but it hadn’t worked. He still gave her those morbid looks and guilty glimpses. She’d never be as good, as kind, or as wise as Inuyasha’s first love had been. She’d never be good enough, kind enough, or wise enough to make him forget. She’d come to accept that.

No two people could be just alike and one couldn’t simply forget their past. That had become her internal mantra when she eventually she realized that she could never fit into the Kikyo mold. She’d soon after resolved to shatter it memorably.

She refused to wear traditional garb, though it was more practical, because she wanted a physical representation of her uniqueness. She’d always tried to be as ‘herself’ as possible, believing that her optimism and fiery spirit were a further asset distinguishing herself from her solemn predecessor.

She’d wanted, so badly, for the half demon to realize her sincerity- to come to appreciate her distinct ‘Kagome-ness’, that she’d lost herself along the way. No longer was she the carefree girl of her past. She was burdened by her unlikely quest for the jewel shards and the torch she still carried for the half demon. Even more disturbing was her growing animosity towards Kikyo and by extension-herself.

Her aversion to the miko wasn’t due to the woman’s interference in her relationship with Inuyasha, for indeed it seemed to lessen every day. It was on a rare occasion that their rag tag band ran into the previous guardian of the jewel and it was an even more seldom instance that Inuyasha and Kikyo had time to talk at all, should they happen to cross paths.

If she were to be completely honest with herself, it seemed to Kagome that Kikyo had decided not to pursue the silver-headed youth any longer, for vengeance or otherwise. The grave priestess seemed to be focusing all her energy, instead, on destroying the evil Naraku and finally receiving peace. An admiral goal, no doubt-and Kikyo was truly an admiral person, but Kagome couldn’t seem to help the seeds of jealousy that sprung where the miko was concerned.

She’d tried to rationalize it a million times, but in the end the feelings were unjustified. It wasn’t Kikyo’s fault that Inuyasha still had residual feelings for her– no more than it was Inuyasha’s fault that Kagome had developed feelings for him. It most certainly was not Kikyo’s fault that the headstrong dog demon gave her those distant looks of miserable longing.

No, maybe the real reason the schoolgirl harbored such uncharacteristic distaste for her incarnate was because they shared the same visage. This miracle of nature assured that they would always be lumped together, regardless of their differences, due entirely to their similar physical appearance. Kagome wasn’t sure if she could stand being without her precious individuality for much longer.

She also knew, without a doubt, that Inuyasha would always remember Kikyo and her ill fated death every time he saw her. There was a time when this hadn’t bothered her so much, but the closer they became, the more his nostalgic stares broke her heart.

“Kagome?” Sango questioned hesitantly, waving her hand in front of her friend’s face in a bid to get her attention.

“Huh?” Kagome muttered, suddenly snapping out of her thought induced dazed. “Oh, sorry Sango . . .” The girl blushed, ducking down further into the hot spring.

The demon slayer shook her head. “It’s fine, Kagome.” She waved her hands in a ‘no foul’ gesture. “Thinking about Inuyasha?” She intoned, smiling secretively.

The younger girl groaned, laying her head down on the rock they were positioned against. “Was it that obvious?” She murmured disappointedly.

The taijiya laughed behind her hand. “No, it was just a lucky guess . . .” The woman paused, suddenly becoming serious. “Are you okay, Kagome?”

The girl in question blanched, laughing nervously. “I’m fine, really!” She looked away. “I’m just a little cranky is all!” She waved her hands crazily in front of her.

Sango again shook her head, though this time it was more out of sympathy than humor. “Kagome, you know you can tell me anything. Bottling your feelings can’t be healthy . . .”

Kagome sighed, inwardly cursing her decision to inform the woman about therapy. “Oh no, Sango, I’m fine, I swear!” She tried again, shaking her head rapidly.

Sango leveled her most intimidating of gazes at her friend. (Much like the one she used to ward off a certain leacher) and Kagome crumbled like so many cookies.

“I was just thinking about . . .” The girl began cautiously. “ Kikyo and Inuyasha and their . . . history together . . .”

“Kagome,” Started Sango sympathetically. “You know that Inuyasha cares about you.”

“I know,” The girl fiddled with the jewel shards around her neck. “But I’m not sure if that’s enough . . .”

Sango’s eyebrows scrunched in mild confusion. What had changed? “Kagome, what do you-” Sango was cut off.

“He looks at me sometimes . . . as if he can’t remember who I am . . .” The girl chanced a desperate glance at her friend. “Like I’m her.” She looked away again. “I’m not . . .”

The demon slayer touched her friend’s shoulder. “Oh, Kagome.” She frowned in consideration. “I’m sure that Inuyasha-”

“doesn’t do it on purpose,” Kagome finished for her, barely restraining the urge to roll her eyes. “But he still does it. He compares us, you know, sometimes . . . I think he forgets I’m not her. Or wishes I was . . . ” The girl took an insecure peek at her friend. “I-I’ve always said that I would stay with him no matter what, but . . .” The shard detector looked towards the evening sky.

“How can I do that if I know that all I do is remind him of a painful past? It doesn’t seem like I’m helping anyone.” The young priestess dipped her hand into the steaming water, fondly watching the ripples that resulted. “I can’t be Kikyo, I accepted that a long time ago-or at least I thought I did, but lately I find myself trying. . .”

Sango was at a loss for words, amazed at her best friends strength. “Kagome . . .” She whispered, half in shock.

At the sound of the taijiya’s voice, Kagome seemed to abruptly snap out of her melancholy. Her shoulders sagged once before relaxing completely against the stone, her eyes closing as she finally enjoyed the warmth of the spring.

The raven haired beauty tardily opened her resisting eyes, a small defensive smile crossing her face. “I’m sorry about unloading on you like this . . .” She scratched her head self consciously. “But don’t worry, really, I’m fine.” She nodded to herself. “No need to worry at all.”

The demon slayer’s eyes softened in admiration. It figured that someone like Kagome wouldn’t admit when she was upset. She decided she’d indulge the teenager’s denial, for now. “I know, Kagome, but if you ever need to talk . . .”

The girl smiled. “I know who to come to.” She paused briefly before a mischievous glint appeared in brown irises. “How’s Miroku been doing?” She interrogated teasingly.

Sango’s eyes narrowed at the name. “He’s the same leacher he’s always been.” Her arms crossed. “And always will be.”

Kagome giggled. “Sango, you know he cares about you, he’s just got an interesting way of showing it.”

Sango gave a sigh. “If you say so . . .”

The rest of their much appreciated bath time was spent in a similar manner. They talked and laughed about light things and avoided the topic of Inuyasha like the plague. It was enjoyable, but a cloud of potential disaster seemed to hover over the exchange, waiting for it’s turn.

Soon enough, however, Inuyasha, restless as always, sent Shippo to get the girls. They’d at first thought the fox child was a peeper so he’d gained many ‘battle scars’ in the process of doing his duty. Kagome had soon realized the mistake and as an apology had offered him extra candy, something the disgruntled kit was powerless to resist.

It was in this manner that the females returned to their camp site; freshly washed, much relaxed, and accompanied by Shippo, who was held securely in Kagome’s arms, and Kirara, who’d soon returned from her hunting expedition to take her place on Sango’s shoulder.

Inuyasha and Miroku, both frustrated for different reasons, (Inuyasha irritated at their slow pace and Miroku saddened by his companions lack of ‘trust’)soon overcame their bad mood, seeing as the women’s cheerfulness proved to be quite contagious.

The group sat down to a homemade meal Kagome had brought from her time, with ramen for the half demon, of course, and extra pocky for Shippo. Afterwards, they stayed up longer than usual, Kagome marveling at the brightness of the stars and the others talking amongst themselves, mostly about Naraku’s potential whereabouts.

Inuyasha soon took his customary perch in a tree, occasionally throwing down a sarcastic comment. The others followed him to bed, Miroku attempting to assault Sango once more before they curled into their sleeping bags, which, conveniently enough, were situated incredibly close together.

That night, while the others would be blessed with pleasant dreams, even the exterminator momentarily forgetting their earlier conversation, Kagome would be troubled by nightmares of her soul merging with Kikyo’s and being trapped within the Shikon no Tama for the rest of time.

She’d awake several times, covered in a cold sweat and barely managing to avoid disturbing her slumbering friends. She’d glance upwards towards Inuyasha’s still form, an act that usually filled her with relief, but now only served to heighten her anxiety.

Snuggling back down into her comfy sack and giving Shippo a squeeze, she’d spend many hours trying to ignore her pounding heart, ashamed of her fear of what amounted to her own imagination. After all, dreams weren’t real, so there was no reason to be so afraid of them.


Due to this restless regeneration period, the girl was understandably intolerant when she was woke that morning by Inuyasha’s yelling. Apparently, she’d slept in and though both Sango and Miroku had fought for her right to rest, with Inuyasha hesitantly agreeing, their loud ‘conversation’ had shocked her from drowsiness near immediately.

She’d gotten up, ignoring her friends and their various comments and made breakfast. The taijiya, obviously noting her zombie-like state, offered to do the chore in her stead and while she was tempted, ultimately Kagome refused. Sango was not well known for her cooking abilities.

She was running low on supplies and completely out of ramen, the last of it being served the previous night. This was something Inuyasha did not take kindly to. He was in a foul mood lately, seeing as Kagome had planned to return home that very day, which, itself, was only three days from the new moon.

He griped, stalling for as long as he could before allowing the band to continue on to the village. Needless to say, an already agitated Kagome had blown her top, sitting the half demon several times. Miroku had played the part of peacemaker which seemed to do little save for escalating the situation irrevocably.

In the end, the school girl had taken off on her own with an uncomfortable Sango in tow. The houshi stayed behind to criticize Inuyasha’s manners and lecture him on kindness while he was without the power to escape.

Kagome set an unusually grueling pace, literally marching to the well. Frustrated and angry the girl barely managed a goodbye to her friend and ‘little brother’ before heading back to her time.

The boy’s showed up some thirty minutes later, both having signs of injury, the most prominent of all being a large bump on the half demons skull. A bump that could very well have been acquired through use of a certain someone’s staff.


“I don’t know why you put up with him.” Yuka admonished, absentmindedly taking a drink from her WacDonald’s shake. “I mean, you could do so much better.” She informed.

Eri, sitting towards Yuka’s right agreed, her head bobbing. “You know she’s right Kagome. You may think this guy is a real catch, but he doesn’t sound like he’s good for you.” She fixed her friend with a concerned gaze. “From what I hear he’s got a crazy ex-girlfriend, who he’s still hung up on, and a bad attitude. Not exactly desirable traits in a boyfriend.”

Yuka held up a finger, taking her cue from Eri. “On the other hand, there’s the kind, sensitive, and polite Hojo who’d be more than happy to worship the ground you walk on.”

Eri moved in for the kill. “Most girls would kill to have someone like Hojo in love with them!”

Kagome smiled nervously, moving her hand in a nonchalant gesture. “He’s really not as bad as you think. He’s rude and a little rough around the edges, true, but he’s a sweet guy underneath it all.” She smiled winningly. “I’m sure you guys would like him.”

Yuka and Eri cast unbelieving glances at one another. “I’m not . . .” Yuka finally replied for them both.

“I’m sure he’s a nice guy if you like him, Kagome.” Ayumi inserted, finally picking her nose up from a rather large book.

Kagome smiled in thanks as Yuka tossed a disapproving glare her way. “Don’t encourage her.” She’d admonished. “This ‘Inuyasha’ guy sounds like nothing more than a violent thug.”

“He’s really not that violent . . .” Kagome interjected half heartedly, already knowing where the conversation was headed.

“Oh?” Questioned Yuka sarcastically. “So I guess all that stuff about him fighting with that ‘Kouga’ over you was just a lie?”

“Well actually-” Began Kagome, stopped mid stream by her overbearing friend.

“And what about this old girlfriend of his, hmm? I suppose they’re ‘just friends’?”

Now, Kagome could usually ignore her future friend’s disapproval. She knew they were only trying to look out for her, but this particular comment tweaked a sore spot. She didn’t retort, seeing as she couldn’t very well explain Kikyo’s complicated history to her class mates. Instead, she stood to leave.

“Kagome . . . Don't be like this . . .” Yuka groaned grudgingly. She stood up beside her ‘misguided’ friend. “I’m sorry, okay? I just . . .” She avoided looking directly into her friend’s eyes. “I just don’t want to see you get hurt.”

The jewel shard holder nodded slowly. “I know, thanks, but I’m fine and . . . I’ll be fine.”

Yuka smiled, enveloping her friend into a hug, which soon became massive as Ayumi and Eri joined in. They separated, seeming to realize for the first time how strained their friendship had become.

“I probably should be heading back, Mom’s planning a big dinner . . .” Kagome said, disturbing the awkward silence.

Eri and Yuka both nodded, sitting back down, but Ayumi continued to stand. “I made sure to take extra notes for you Kagome, and my house is in the same direction as the shrine, so I thought maybe we could walk together. I could quiz you on the way?”

Kagome grinned despite herself. “Thanks, Ayumi, you’re a life saver.”


“Kagome . . .” The diminutive form scolded. “These are just warm up questions, you should be able to answer them correctly.” She wiggled her finger at the frustrated girl. “We went over these last year!”

“I know . . .” Kagome laughed nervously. “I guess I’m really behind, huh?”

“At this rate you’ll never graduate . . .” Kagome fell to the ground in despair. “If you don’t have my help, that is . . .” The girl amended. The crumpled Kagome was not impressed.

“There’s definitely not enough time to cover an entire school year on a walk and my stops coming up . . . Do you think we could meet up at your house tomorrow? We’ll do a cram marathon. Just in time for that big test, too.” Ayumi thought out loud.

“Test?” Kagome squeaked.

The bookworm nodded. “Mrs. Yukimana’s annual, famous for it’s high failing rate. It’s coming up after the weekend. You’ll need to ace it to pass the semester.”

“Oh, no . . .” Kagome whined, head drooping. Inuyasha was not going to like this.

“Don’t worry, Kagome.” The brunette consoled. “It’s still a few days away so we’ll have plenty of time to prep.”

Kagome managed a small whimper of thanks.

“Well, this is my stop.” Ayumi jerked a thumb towards the street they were on. “See you tomorrow!” She threw over her shoulder.

Kagome waved, already dreading a certain half-demons reaction. Inuyasha was upset enough when she left for a day or two to get supplies. He’d undoubtedly throw a fit when he learned she’d have to stay for the better part of a week.

The brute just didn’t understand, this was her future. As much as she wished she could hunt for the jewel shards 24/7 she needed to be able to take care of herself when she got back from her quest. When, not if.

For the girl was sure they would someday gain possession of all of the shards and defeat Naraku. When that day came, she would no longer be able to use the well to go back and forth between the times. She might just be sucked back into her own world without having been given a choice, or she might be stuck in the feudal era, permanently.

In either case, she needed to be prepared. High school drop out didn’t look good on any application. Her mom would be devastated.

“Kagome, do you need anything before you go back?” Maybe devastated was too strong a word.

“No mom,” Kagome answered. She was more than a little surprised that she’d gotten home so fast. She'd probably built a whole lot of leg muscle trapsing around fuedal Japan. “I won’t be going back for a while.”

Her mom’s head tilted. The knife she held, that had previously been chopping vegetables, stopped abruptly. “Oh? Did you and Inuyasha have another fight?”

The spitfire blushed. “Um, actually, there’s this big test coming up–Ayumi is going to help me pass it.”

The woman’s head bowed in understanding. “That’s good dear, though I’m not sure if Inuyasha will like it.”

Kagome set her backpack down. “Don’t I know it.” She rolled her tense shoulders. “I have to do this though, I don’t want to fail.”

The knife resumed chopping. “I’m sure he'll come to understand.” She smiled. “You should probably go get some rest, dinner will be ready soon.”

The heroine shook her head. “No thanks, I’ve still got a ton of homework to do.” She glanced at her mother’s cook pot. “Do you need any help?”

“No, you just get started on your school work. Don’t stay up all night.”

“Thanks Mom, you’re the best.” Kagome grinned.


“I don’t get it . . .”

“You’re not trying hard enough, Kagome. If you just read the passage a few times, you’ll understand.”

The girl picked up her text book and laid it over her face. “It might as well be in gibberish. No matter how many times you read gibberish it still doesn’t make sense.”

“C’mon, Kagome.” Her friend encouraged. “This is only the first chapter.”

“The first chapter of advanced physics.” Kagome spit out. “Why am I in advanced physics, anyway?”

“You signed up for it?” Ayumi offered meekly.

Kagome groaned again.

They’d been at this for an hour and besides a few select vocabulary words, Kagome hadn’t learned anything. She was more than a little discouraged. The fact that Inuyasha would probably come barging in first thing in the morning, demanding she return, did nothing for her mind set.

“Let’s start with something easy.” Ayumi gestured. “Memorizing the periodic table of elements.” She leaned forward conspiratorially. “I have it on good authority that it’ll be the bonus question.” She moved back to her original place, crossing her arms. “Plus, you never know when knowing all the elements, by name, will come in handy.”

Ayumi was usually very demure and polite, but it seemed this mild temper didn’t extend to education. She’d turned into quite the little drill sergeant. The discipline was something Kagome needed, but she wasn’t prepared for how very unstructured she was.

“Now, it’s very easy if you say them in order: Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Beryllium, Boron, Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Flourine, Neon, Magnesium, Aluminum, Silicon, Phosphorous, Sulfur, Chlorine, Argon, Copper, Zinc, Gallium . . . .” The genius was reciting them in some parody of ‘hot cross buns’. Kagome stared on in awe. No way she’d ever remember all that.

“C’mon, Kagome,” Ayumi coached. “It only gets harder from here . . .”

The girl in question began reluctantly. “Hydrogen, Helium, Beryllium . . .”

“It’s Lithium then Beryllium.” Ayumi critiqued.

Kagome closed her eyes, wishing she had stayed in relative safety behind the well. “Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Beryllium . . .”


“Kagome, Kagome, wake up . . .” The gentle shaking did in fact rouse the girl from her slumber.

Kagome sat up, a paper still sticking to her cheek. She blinked lazily. The books were all out, spread across the table, but where was Ayumi?

“Your friend left late last night . . . you’d fallen asleep.” Her mother interjected. “I’d like to let you sleep in, but Inuyasha was making quite a ruckus.”

At this the adventurer stood straight so fast, you’d think she’d of thrown out her back. “Inuyasha is here!?” She questioned in a panic, not waiting for her mother’s nod. “Where?”

“He’s with Souta . . .” Replied the older woman confusedly. “Is something wrong, Kagome?”

Kagome’s head moved back in forth rapidly. “No, I just-just don’t want to see him right now.” She leaned against the table. “I have so much to do an no doubt he’ll want me to come back and I can’t . . .” The girl ran a hand through her hair.

“I could tell him your gone?” Suggested her parent.

“No,” Kagome decided. “He’ll find out eventually. I better just tell him now.”

She stood straight again, brushing wrinkles out of her uniform and tangles out of her hair. She absentmindedly straightened the Kitchen, separating notes and tests into piles on the left and right, respectively. She nodded to herself, fists clenching in determination.

“Um . . . Where are they, anyway?” She questioned, realizing she had no idea where to find the temperamental half breed.

Her mother’s lips twitched in amusement. “He’s in Souta’s room. They’re playing a new video game.”

The girl clenched her fists again, heading out of the room to a known destination. She wasn’t sure exactly what Inuyasha’s reaction would be . . . No, that wasn’t true, she knew he’d be angry. They’d have an argument, she’d use the subjugation beads, he’d leave in huff. It was the same old routine, so why was she so nervous?

She came to Souta’s door. It was decorated with various ‘keep out’ signs and drawings of demons, Inuyasha being chief among them. She could hear the sound of laughter inside. That, combined with various sound effects and an occasional frustrated curse confirmed what she already knew; Inuyasha was in there.

She knocked. “Souta, Inuyasha, it’s me . . .” She called.

The door swung open immediately, and irritated half demon in the frame. “About time, let’s go.” He moved past her.

“Inuyasha, wait!” The hero turned.

“Yeah?” He questioned.

“I’m not going.”

“What do you mean you’re not going?!” He asked, temper flaring.

“I mean I have a test coming up so I’m not going!” Kagome’s voice raised.

“A test?” To Inuyasha, the idea seemed ludicrous. “Feh,” He crossed his arms. “Who the hell cares about a test?”

Kagome’s arms crossed, too, imitating Inuyasha’s pose. “ I care about it!”

“It doesn’t matter . . . you’ve gotta’ help me fix the jewel that you broke!”

“I will, after I take my test!” Kagome challenged. Her arms uncrossed, as did his, both of them invading the other’s personal space.

“No, now!” Inuyasha yelled back. Their faces were now only inches apart.

“I’m going to take the test . . .” Kagome’s voice was little more than a threatening growl. Her nose bumped against his.

“No your not!” Inuyasha growled back. He was lurched forward by the force of his voice.

In that moment their lips connected.

It was an awkward kiss, little more than a short physical pressing, but the two were so surprised by this unexpected turn of events that they stood solid. Their eyes were wide and staring until, as one, they separated violently. They jumped to opposite sides of the hallway.

“Eww , you kissed my sister.” Souta, who’d been watching the exchange, and rooting for Inuyasha, commented. His faced scrunched in revulsion.

Kagome, her own face covered in a bright blush, slammed his door closed before leaning against it. She looked to Inuyasha who wouldn’t meet her eyes. He finally turned towards her, devoid of the blush she had expected. In fact, there was a certain sadness that hung around him.

“Feh, do what you want . . .” He said, heading towards the well house at a languish pace.

Kagome looked after him, a hand coming up to rest, shakily, on her lips. Had that really just happened? And had Inuyasha just taken off? She hoped it was because he was embarrassed, but he’d acted so strangely . . . What if–What if he was ashamed?

She shook her head in anger. It was no use trying to figure out what Inuyasha was thinking and all this speculation was disheartening. No, she resolved to look on the bright side: At least Inuyasha wouldn’t bother her for a while. That meant she could get plenty of studying done . . . .

Oddly enough, this didn’t comfort her in the least.


“Pencils down everyone, times up.” Mrs. Yukimana’s voice echoed throughout the room. The bell ringing just after her request. “It’s time to go, so bring your papers to me before you leave.”

The students lined up, shuffling slowly and putting all their papers in a disorganized pile on top of their teacher’s desk. Kagome was the last, right behind Ayumi. As Kagome put her paper down her dedicated tutor gave her a thumbs up, which the student returned.

“Mrs. Yukimana?” She questioned, watching the older woman look up from her grading.

“Yes, Higurashi?” The sensei questioned.

“I was wondering if you could grade my test now.” She pushed a stray hair behind her ear. “I worked hard on it–Ayumi helped me study–and I really don’t think I can stand the anticipation.” The girl babbled nervously.

Mrs. Yukimana held up a hand. “I’ll be happy to grade your paper now Kagome, seeing as you worked so hard on it.”

“Thank you.” Kagome said, relieved.

Mrs. Yukimana nodded. “Go take a seat, the test was rather long, grading it will take some time.”

Kagome did as she was told, taking a seat at one of the front row desks. She watched as Mrs. Yukimana went over her test, checking it rapidly against her own answer sheet. When she was done, she motioned Kagome over.

“An A-, Kagome.” She handed the paper to her student. “Just enough to pass you this semester. Good job.” She congratulated.

Kagome sighed in relief, bowing several times in succession. “Thank you so much, Yukimana-sensei!!”

The woman laughed lightly. “I had nothing to do with it. Though, I do hope you’ll thank Ayumi properly.”

Kagome bowed again. “Of course, yes. Thanks again!” She called, heading out the door.

Mrs. Yukimana shook her head, still chuckling.


“Eri?” Kagome interrogated. She hadn’t expected a friend to be waiting outside for her, particularly not Eri.

Eri fell into step beside Kagome, closing her mouth for her. “Ayumi’s been talking about tutoring you nonstop. I wanted to see if it payed off.” She looked to the raven haired girl. “Did it?”

Kagome grinned. “Yep!” She held out her paper, showing off her A-.

Eri pouted. “I’ll have to remember to ask for Ayumi’s help on the next test.”


“Have you ever asked him to stay?”.

Kagome wasn’t sure how they’d gotten on the subject, but while walking home, she and Eri had lapsed into a conversation about, who else, Inuyasha. Eri had always had strong opinions about her ‘jerk boyfriend’, though thankfully they hadn’t been so strong as Yuka’s, but it now seemed that the girl was more than willing to hear his side of the story first. Odd.

“I couldn’t do that . . . He has to go to her . . .” Kagome answered.

“Why?” Eri inquired.

“Well, you see Kikyo . . . . fell in with a . . . bad crowd and sometimes she gets into trouble . . . If Inuyasha didn’t go help her she could end up hurt . . .” Kagome lied, attempting to come as close to the truth as she could without telling Eri everything.

“Oh,” Eri’s head bobbed. “That’s sweet and all, but are you really telling me that he has to ‘visit’ her every time he does?”

Kagome thought it over. True enough, there were times that Inuyasha had ‘visited’ Kikyo for no other reason than to talk to her. “No, he doesn’t always have to, but . . .” She paused. “They were together for years, split up unfairly, and they still love each other . . .” She looked to her friend.

Eri rolled her eyes. “Excuses, excuses. It doesn’t matter what happened in the past, he’s with you now, right?”

Kagome shrugged. “Sort of?”

“Anyway,” The brunette continued. “If he loves you, you should be his number one priority.” She pointed a finger at her friend. “The only way to find out who he cares for most is to make him choose. The next time he wants to go off with that Kikyo, for no real reason, ask him to stay.” Eri tossed her head in a considering fashion. “If he goes anyway, you have your answer.”


“I guess it makes sense in an Eri kinda’ way, but I’m not so sure . . .”

“You should do what you think is best, Kagome. Your friends can influence you, but in the end it’s a decision you have to make.” Sango said sagely. “If you want my opinion, I don’t think that a person's feelings are quite so simple . . .”

“I-I guess so, but I still feel like I should try . . . “ The girl looked into the clear water of the indoor spring. “I’m just . . . afraid, that he’ll-he’ll choose her . . .”

They’d traveled hard for a few days and as a reward Inuyasha had allowed Miroku to con a powerful lord into allowing them to stay in his lavish home for the duration of the ‘exorcism’. He’d gratefully accepted this 'generous' offer and soon after the group had preceded to stuff their faces and head to the lord’s personal hot spring.

There was a time when Kagome would have objected to this moral ambiguity, but at this point, so long as she got a nice meal and a warm bath, she didn’t much care for the how or why. She and Sango had settled into the warm water, cut off from the boys by a wall of stone covered in an impressively elaborate mural, and, as always it seemed, the subject had soon migrated to Inuyasha. How very predictable.

“If he does go, even after you ask him to stay, will so much change?” Sango asked, bending slightly to meet the girl’s eyes.

“No, no. I think I’d still stay with him, no matter what . . .” Kagome whispered shakily.

“But you would finally get some manner of closure.” Sango lifted her chin. “You’ve told me many times that you wondered if you were second best, now is your chance to find out. (Though I’m not sure it’s a reliable method.)”

Kagome shook her head. “ You don’t understand.” She looked up, preventing tears. “ I saw him once, with her, and I was heart broken.” Her eyes closed hard. “He told me he loved her, told me, basically, that I would be second best and I decided to stay anyway.” She glanced at the taijiya. “I don’t have the right to ask him to choose again.”

Sango touched her friend’s shoulder. “That was a long time ago Kagome, things have changed. I don’t like to see you like this. I don’t want you to get hurt, but if it’s the only way you can get some peace, it can’t hurt to try . . .”


“Inuyasha . . . please, don’t go . . .” The plea was made in shallow breath and the girl’s eyes were wet.

The half demon turned. “What?” He questioned, surprised.

“I’m-I’m asking you not to go . . .” Kagome reaffirmed, causing both Miroku and Sango to redirect their attention to the couple. Shippo was a particularly avid viewer.

“Kagome . . .” He whispered. The priestess-in-training looked up. The boy rarely used her name. “I’ve got to.”

The words were said with conviction, but they dealt a powerful blow to the shard detector’s morale. “No, no you don’t . . .” Kagome looked up stubbornly. “I’m asking you not to.”

“And I’m telling you I have to.” Inuyasha returned.

“No you don’t.” Kagome was shaking, her head bowed.

“Who the hell died and made you my keeper?!” Inuyasha asked, his ire driven by her own.

“You don’t have to go to her, Inuyasha!” The girl exploded. She lifted her face to reveal a tear stained cheeks. “Why? Why?” She demanded.

Inuyasha looked away. “She might know something about Naraku.” He defended.

Kagome shook her head, biting her lip in frustration. “You know very well that’s not why. I-I can’t believe you. I thought that y-you would . . .” She let out a strangled moan. “You know what? Never mind . . .” She turned from him and headed into the woods surrounding the path. She didn’t look back.

“Inuyasha . . .” The taijiya warned.

“What!?” The sword wielder was obviously upset himself.

Miroku put a restraining hand on the demon slayer’s shoulder. “What Sango means to say is: you should go after her.”

Inuyasha shook his head. He might’ve protested further, but his words seemed lodged in his throat. He let out a serious of groans and grunts, looking down the nondescript path Kagome had taken. He let out a noncommital ‘feh’ before disappearing after her.

“He sure is a stupid one . . .” Remarked Shippo. He adjusted his place on Miroku’s shoulder as the monk moved forward.

“I’m afraid I’m inclined to agree . . .” The monk said solemnly.

Sango stayed standing in her place, looking towards the forest, until she was gently prodded by Miroku. She protested, defending her right to look after her best friend, even if it was from a distance.

“Come Sango, we must allow them some manner of privacy.” The houshi explained.

“Miroku . . . if he . . .” She didn’t finish, but the leacher understood.

“You shall have plenty of time to kill him after they get back.” He soothed.


“Kagome . . .” The boy was reluctant.

“Go away, Inuyasha!” The girl commanded. She had stopped not far from the path, leaning against a tree.

“What the hell is your problem?!” He probed incessantly. If one thing could be said about the half demon it was that he had an easily sparked temper.

“You, Inuyasha, you!” She screamed, pivoting to yell directly into his face. “Every time, it’s always her! Do you care about me at all?” The male was speechless. Kagome looked away, foot tapping. “Figures, figures.” She let out a bitter laugh. “That’s it Inuyasha, I can’t . . .” Her face looked stressed and wrinkled, as someone who had been through too much too fast. “I can’t do this, I can't, it-it’ll kill me.”

Amber eyes softened as he took hold of her upper arms. “What, Kagome?”

She met his eyes, her own were tear filled and worn. “Love you, I can’t love you Inuyasha.”

This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=564