Kagome's Messed Up Cinderella Story by Atsuko29
Summary: Kagome is a blacksmith that Lord Sesshomaru has fix his sword and he doesn't know she's a hanyou. Through troubles and worries, will the two figure out how much they need each other. Rating may change with how I continue each chapter.
Categories: Angst/ Drama, Romance Characters: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: Yes Word count: 43400 Read: 127833 Published: 18 Jan 2013 Updated: 23 Mar 2013
Story Notes:
I own nothing of Inuyasha. I only own the plot and the setting... If you don't like it you don't have to read it.

1. Chapter 1 by Atsuko29

2. Chapter 2 by Atsuko29

3. Chapter 3 by Atsuko29

4. Chapter 4 by Atsuko29

5. Chapter 5 by Atsuko29

6. Chapter 6 by Atsuko29

7. Chapter 7 by Atsuko29

8. Chapter 8 by Atsuko29

9. Chapter 9 by Atsuko29

10. Chapter 10 by Atsuko29

11. Chapter 11 by Atsuko29

12. Chapter 12 by Atsuko29

13. Chapter 13 by Atsuko29

14. Chapter 14 by Atsuko29

15. Chapter 15 by Atsuko29

16. Chapter 16 by Atsuko29

17. Chapter 17 by Atsuko29

18. Chapter 18 by Atsuko29

19. Chapter 19 by Atsuko29

20. Chapter 20 by Atsuko29

21. Chapter 21 by Atsuko29

22. Chapter 22 by Atsuko29

23. Chapter 23 by Atsuko29

Chapter 1 by Atsuko29

As a child, I was always hiding; my charmed bracelet allowed me to hid my scent, my ears, and my tail. I hide because of my blood. In a world of ningen and youkai, which both hate each other, having the blood of both is worse than being a full youkai to ningen, and being a full ningen to youkai. I am a neko hanyou in the western inu youkai kingdom.

My mother, an inu hanyou, had been born in this kingdom; but she left and when she returned years later, she was carrying me when I was three years old: to hide us from a hanyou hunt. The young Lord of the west kingdom led every hanyou hunt in the four kingdoms. He had started the hunts one hundred and fifty years ago, when my mother was just becoming an adult.

No one knew my family members were hanyou and we intended to keep it that way. Any hanyou that were caught would be sent to the Lord to be executed or exiled to China. The young Lord, Lord Sesshomaru, was cold and cruel to hanyou. I once had the unpleasant luck to see him find a hanyou in the village.

I was leaving my shop for the day and as soon as I saw him, I threw myself back into the cover of my shop and my back hit the wall that held my tools for finishing my works. The young man had begged for mercy. This only made Lord Sesshomaru angrier, and he beheaded the man with a flick of his sword.

I had desperately wanted to go save the man; but being kind to hanyou was just as bad as being one; and if he found out about my family, Lord Sesshomaru would kill them. Above all, I had to protect my family.

End Notes:

Okay, so the chapters are going to be kind of short for a little while. I would really like for anyone who can to review this. I hope you liked it; there's more coming soon.

Chapter 2 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
Alright this is the official chapter one. I hope you like it and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

I was brought our of my thoughts by a sword being dropped on the work table in front of me. "Onna, do you know where the blacksmith is?" came the voice of a male. I lifted my head to deliver my usual glare when I noticed the man that had insulted me was none other than Lord Sesshomaru. His face was hard to mistake. I jumped from my sitting position and bowed immediately. "Lord Sesshomaru, I am the blacksmith. How may I help you today?" I asked quickly. "Rise. I am here for my sword to be fixed. It needs to be sharpened and polished. I will be back to retrieve it tomorrow." he said.

"Of course, my Lord. It will be the first thing I work on." I replied. I was glad my bracelet kept him from smelling my fear, or my blood status. The moment I knew he had gone far enough away that he was out of earshot, I blew out a sigh of relief and got to work. The kiln in the corner roared to life after a little coaxing. Once it was hot enough, I held the blade over the flames to heat it. I had learned long ago that heating the blade made it easier to sharpen without ruining the finish. When I felt the heat moving to the hilt of the blade, I grabbed a smooth stone and sat to sharpen it.

After what seemed like hours of sharpening and reheating the blade, I finally set it to cool in water. While I retrieved the oil and cloth to polish the blade, my senses alerted me that I was being watched. Quickly, I returned to my workspace and polished the sword. It was finally finished, so I put it in a sheathe to keep it safe until Lord Sesshomaru returned.

End Notes:

Okay, so I warned you the chapters would be kind of short. And they will be for a little while. I'll make them longer soon, I promise. I just need the time to type it and not be bothered. Hope you liked this chapter.

Chapter 3 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
Okay... so in the next chapter there will be a little bit of action. Don't worry about who the person is, he's of no consequence.

Because I still felt someone was watching the shop, when my Okaa-san came at sundown to walk me home, I decided I would stay. “I can’t go home tonight. Someone has been watching the shop and I think they might plan to steal a katana I was given to take care of tonight.” I sighed.

My Okaa-san always worried when I stayed at the shop over night; I knew I was in for an argument. “What katana is so special that you need to stay here? If someone tries to steal it you could get seriously hurt.” She argued. “I know mom. But if I fail to return this katana safely, you could all be in danger. I’ll put your lives above my own.” I responded, knowing the headache to come would only get worse if I didn’t get her to leave soon.

“Who is so dangerous that you have to stay for their katana? She questioned. “Lord Sesshomaru.” That was all I had to say. She froze and became stiff for a few moments before her shoulders slumped in defeat. “Very well; I will be here at dawn. Make sure you sleep with your charm on tonight. Please be safe, Kagome.” My Okaa-san begged as she hugged me.

“I will mom. I’ll see you at dawn. Now go home, I’m sure you didn’t start dinner before you left. Inuyasha and Kikyou will get into trouble if you don’t get back soon. I love you momma.” I replied, releasing her so she could leave. Once my Okaa-san was far enough away, I put out the light in front of the shop and put the spiked, wooden bars in front of the door.

After putting away all my tools, I released my hair from the tie it was in, and set up a place to sleep across from the katana and my other customer’s things. Soon, sleep crept up and over took me.

End Notes:
Okay so... if there are any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Please review and tell me what you think. I don't mind criticism, but don't be completely hurtful please? I hope you like it. Bye.
Chapter 4 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:

Okay.... so like I said in the last chapter the guy mentioned in this chapter is of no conseunce; don't worry about who he is.

I woke with a start at the sound of creaking wood. I sat up slowly, quietly; and allowed my eyes to adjust to the absence of light in the room. A man stood in the doorway to the room from the front of the shop. He didn’t notice me, but I was hidden from view by a halberd I had made just the day before.

The katana Lord Sesshomaru told me to fix was on the worktable between us. He went to the money bag beside the katana and grabbed them both. I stood immediately, which seemed to startle him. “You would be wise to put those down. I will not be kind enough to allow you to live if you run. My family depends on those items staying where you found them.” I said. The man smirked and bolted for the front of the shop.

Figures he would run. With that thought I ran after him, my black hip-length hair flowing behind me. He stopped running a few minutes later and turned the katana on me. “You won’t stop me. I need this to survive.” He said. “I warned you not to run. My family’s life is at stake. Give me back the katana and I’ll let you live. You can have the money, just give me the katana.” I ordered.

“I don’t think so onna. Why don’t you go back to that shop before you get hurt?” he suggested, obviously mocking me. “To underestimate me is a big mistake. Give me the katana and you can live and take the money with you. All I want is the katana.” I ground out. “If you want it, come and take it; if you can.” He taunted, taking up a fighting stance in front of me.

He was the first to move, lunging at me with the katana. I dodged to the left and he sliced into my right arm. Pain lanced through me as I continued to dodge his attacks and watched for an opening. Finally, he tripped up and I was able to grab the katana from him.

“I’ll let you live this once. But if you steal from me again, I will kill you.” With that, I ran back to my shop. I fired up the kiln immediately. The man had ruined the sharpening and polish I had done today and it had to be redone immediately. The stone was the first thing to touch the blade after it glowed. I sharpened it furiously for an hour before deciding to let it cool.

Pain lanced through my arm and I stumbled. I’ve lost a lot of blood. With that thought I grabbed a good, long piece of metal and put it in a fire. I had to heat the bandages to put over the wound. I didn’t have the time to burn it closed; or the will power. I pulled the metal out and placed it over the clean bandages. Once they were warm, I wrapped them around my arm where the wound was.

When the bandages were secure, I pulled the katana out of the water and gathered the oil and cloth to polish it again. My body slumped over the blade and before I knew what was happening: I had fallen asleep, hunched over it protectively on my table.

End Notes:

Okay so I know that the 'action' isn't really that good, but it's the best I could do at the time when I was writing this.

Chapter 5 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:

Alright, so this is the first mention of Rin. I hope you like it.

I woke suddenly at the sound of a throat being cleared. Glancing up at the person who had dared to interrupt my sleep; I noticed it was Lord Sesshomaru. He was glaring at me. I jumped from my seat and bowed, wincing at the pain in my right arm. “Forgive me, Lord Sesshomaru. I did not sense you coming.” I explained.

 “What happened to your arm, onna?” he inquired. “Oh, my arm?” I repeated. “Yes, your arm, onna. What happened to it?” he asked again. I had to hold back a snide comment about how he addressed me as I decided if I would tell him or not; then I decided I would and not risk my family.

“A man stole your katana and my earnings last night. When I followed after him to retrieve it I bargained with him. He attacked me. I got sliced by it before he tripped and I got it back. I let him get away with my earnings so that I could come back and re-sharpen and re-polish your katana. I am sorry for allowing it to be taken in the first place, my Lord.” I explained, bowing lower.

 “You retrieved my katana but not your day’s earnings?” he queried. “Yes, my Lord. It was to make sure he would have no need to steal.” I answered. “You should have just killed him, onna.” He suggested. “Please, my Lord; my name is Kagome. If I killed that man then my conscience would never leave me be. He stole out of desperation, not out of desire. If I was like him I would do whatever it takes to feed my family. I cannot blame him for trying to survive.” I politely argued.

 “Is my katana ready?” he demanded. “Oh, of course, my Lord.” I lifted the katana for his inspection and held my breath. When he grabbed the hilt, I let it go. He hand had brushed mine and I felt a jolt of electricity shoot through my arm. “You did very well. Come with me; your arm will be tended to by my healer at the palace.” He offered.

 “Gomen nasai, my Lord. I must decline. My Okaa-san is due here shortly and I am to help her with my brother and sister.” I said, bowing lower than I thought possible. “Stop bowing. If you refuse to go to see my healer, then I will bring her to see you.” He decided. “Please don’t, my Lord. I shall be fine as soon as my family arrives. I merely need to eat and the healing qualities of my blood should kick in.” I begged.

I did not want Lord Sesshomaru to be here when my family showed up. “Onna, do not argue with me.” he ordered. “That’s it! I can’t take it any longer! I have a name! I have shown you nothing but respect and I will not be treat dishonorably! My name is Kagome! Not ‘onna’!” I shouted. The growl I received sent me to the ground on my hands and knees, bowing to the Lord in an instant.

“I am so sorry, my Lord. I did not mean to loose my tongue and shout at you. I do not know what possessed me to be so disrespectful.” I explained, my forehead pressed firmly to the floor. I head my little sister and brother at the front of the shop, about to enter the room “Kikyou, Inuyasha, go back outside. Tell momma I said not to come inside. Can you do that for me?” I asked.

I barely held my sob in check when their laughter filtered through the door. “Okay sissy. Can we take our katanas and practice?” Came Kikyou’s voice. “Of course you can, Kikyou. Practice the moves I taught you. Now, take Inuyasha and go outside.” I ordered. When I knew they were outside, I waited for Lord Sesshomaru to speak. “Rise to your feet, on- Kagome.” He ordered me. When I finally stood to my full height, I kept my head bowed low to show respect.

“I respect your reasons for not killing the man who stole my katana. But never shout at me again. The next time I will kill you. I will be back with my healer. Pull-blood or not, you should be checked over.” He insisted. “Please, my Lord; I am a neko-youkai. My Okaa-san would be best to heal me. If you insist on seeing that I am properly attended to, then meet my Okaa-san."

"But I assure you, I am perfectly taken care of if my Okaa-san is allowed to help me.” I explained. He nodded and left the room, but before I could sigh in relief, he returned with my Okaa-san. “Kagome! Are you alright?! What”- “Okaa-san, it’s fine. I just need you to go get the herbs.” I said, interrupting her before she could start a rant. “Kagome.” Lord Sesshomaru said.

“Yes, my Lord?” I asked. “Do you serve ningen and half-breeds?” he inquired. I cringed at the insult to hanyous; but he, thankfully, didn’t notice. “I serve all beings; but if I have served hanyous, I cannot say, my Lord.” I answered. At that moment, my Okaa-san entered the room with herbs from behind the shop.

She went to work mixing and crushing the herbs before placing them on clean bandages. That done, she un-wrapped my arm to see it was still bleeding slightly. “You should have been more careful, Kagome.” My Okaa-san scolded. I sighed and tried to keep from wincing when she ran warm water over the wound.

I had never been so glad to wear a sleeveless shirt until I realized I would have had to take it off and be tended to in my breast bindings in front of the Lord. “Lord Sesshomaru, this is my Okaa-san, Kaede.” I introduced. “Hello, my Lord.” My Okaa-san said. She turned, bowed to him, and then went back to work on my arm.

“Kagome, I will return tomorrow with your payment for treating my katana so well. If your arm is not healed to my satisfaction, I will drag you to the palace to see my healer.” He threatened. “Yes, my Lord.” I sighed, bowing my head. I never was one for taking orders, but if I wanted to stay alive for my family, I would have to learn.

 I sensed him leaving and when I could no longer feel his aura clashing against my own, I let out a sigh of relief. “Kagome, I will insure you are healed before tomorrow. But the shop will have to be closed for the day.” My Okaa-san suggested.

 “No momma. We can’t afford to lose a day just to keep me away from the palace. The thief got away with yesterday’s earnings. I’ll work today and if I must go to the palace, then I will.” I argued. My Okaa-san looked to argue as she mad the last knot in the bandages. Before she could speak, I call out to my siblings. “Kikyou, Inuyasha, come inside now.” I called.

They laughed and I heard them whispering something.  Stepped out of the shop to see them speaking to a little on’nanoko. She couldn’t have been more than six years old. Her scent was definitely full youkai and it was vaguely familiar. “Are you okay?” I asked, kneeling in front of her.

Truth be told, she looked to be on the verge of tears. “I… I can’t find my big brother.” She whispered. Okay. When did you last see him?” I questioned. “At home. He said I was to wait for him. But I followed him. I want Fluffy.” She ordered. “What’s your name? Who’s Fluffy?” I asked. “I’m Rin. No one calls him Fluffy unless he allows it. His name is Sesshomaru.” She answered.

I resisted the urge to let my jaw drop. My siblings had found Lord Sesshomaru’s little sister. “Hime Rin, I will take you back to the palace. Would you like something to eat first?” I offered. She nodded and smiled; and when I held out my hand she took it.

End Notes:
Any questions of translations don't hesitate to ask. Please reiew and let me know what you think. I hope everyone likes it. Bye.
Chapter 6 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
Hope you like it.

After a short breakfast, I grabbed my sheathed katana and tied it to my hip. “Why do you have a katana, Miss Kagome?” Rin asked. “To protect you, Hime Rin. There are those who would hurt you to hurt your big brother.” I explained.

 “Can Kikyou and Inuyasha come? Please?” It was almost like she was begging. She showed respect to everyone, even Kikyou and Inuyasha. “Of course, Hime. Now, we should return you to the palace. I’m sure Lord Sesshomaru is worried about you.” I said.

I had already asked my Okaa-san to watch the hop; so as soon as the hime and my siblings grabbed my hands, we left. “Miss Kagome, you’re very pretty.” The hime complemented. “Thank you, Hime. You are very pretty, too. But Kikyou is prettier than me. You two are like stars compared to me.” was my reply. Soon after that, Kikyou went to the other side of the hime and Inuyasha grabbed my free had.

We were almost to the palace when Hime Rin tripped in a small hole and cried out in pain. “Hime,” I kneeled down beside her, “are you okay?” her eyes flitted to her ankle and teared up. Oh man. Her ankle was already starting to swell and was twisted a little too far inward. I presented my back to her and she climbed on quickly. “Kikyou, Inuyasha, grab my elbows. Hime Rin sprained her ankle.” I explained.

I stood and after they grabbed my elbows, we continued on our way to the castle. The moment I was seen at the gate, I heard someone call for Lord Sesshomaru. The moment Hime Rin saw her brother she started wiggling on my back. “Rin, where on earth did you go?” he asked, his eyes showing emotion for the first time I had ever seen.

“My Lord, she sprained her ankle on the way here. I believe she may also have pulled a few muscles when she tripped.” I informed him. His eyes fell to me and turned cold again. “Fluffy, Miss Kagome carried me here after I fell.” Hime Rin said. “You did? I suppose you expect a reward?” he sneered. I let a small growl escape before correcting him. “I expect nothing from you, my Lord. I would have brought her back sooner, but I had to get my katana so I could protect her and my siblings.” I set the hime down so she could sit and I kneeled in front of her.

“It was a pleasure meeting you, Hime Rin. If you ever want to play with Kikyou and Inuyasha, I will bring them; you need only send word. But for now, we must leave. Don’t tax your ankle, Hime.” I suggested as I motioned for Kikyou and Inuyasha to climb on my back. “You meanie! You made Miss Kagome leave!” I heard the hime yell as I ran off.

Being part youkai meant I wasn’t as fast a runner as a full youkai, but I could run a lot faster than most animals. “Sissy, why did he say that to you?” Kikyou asked over my right shoulder. “Because that’s what most everyone would do. He thinks there are no exceptions. It is alright, Kikyou; after tomorrow we will only see the lord when the hime wants to play with you and Inuyasha.” I explained. I felt her nod against my shoulder and knew that soon she would be asleep.

“Kagome, what will happen if Lord Sesshomaru finds out?” Inuyasha asked. Inuyasha rarely spoke, so when his voice floated up to my invisible neko ear I nearly tripped. “I don’t know, Inuyasha. I expect he would have you, Kikyou, and momma exiled to China if I begged him.” I answered. “What about you?” he nearly cried.

“I would offer my services as a blacksmith until I was too old to heat the kiln. Then, when he had no more use for me, I would go to the executioners block with my head held high.” I explained. “Then we can’t let him find out. I don’t want to leave, or for you to die.” He decided. “I don’t want you to leave either."

"But that means that we have to wear our bracelets more often. Can you promise me you’ll wear your bracelet and not take it off unless momma or I tell you?” I asked. He nodded and I ran the rest of the way back to the shop in silence.

Chapter 7 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
Hope you like it. I don't own Inuyasha, unfortunately; but I do own the plot and the most of the weapons made. They were entirely my own.

“Momma, a little help?” I asked as I entered the shop. My Okaa-san took Kikyou and Inuyasha from my back quickly. I rubbed at my aching neck then untied my katana from my hip and set it against my work table. Before I could gain control over my rising emotions, I screamed and hit my fist on the top of the table, sending tools and miscellaneous pieces of metal rolling off the table to fall to the floor.

“How dare he?!” I yelled angrily. “Kagome, what’s wrong?” my Okaa-san asked worriedly. I didn’t answer; instead I grabbed a sheet of metal and started the kiln. A moment later, a piece of parchment and a chunk of coal were being demolished as I designed a new weapon. I decided on a metal bow and arrows.

I had good cording to use for the draw string and feathers for the tails of the arrows. When the kiln was hot, I put the metal into a pot to melt it and placed the pot in the kiln. I waited while the metal melted, finding suitable molds and carving knives as I ignored my Okaa-san’s persistent questioning. I noticed that all the metal had melted and poured it into the mold. While it cooled and hardened, I drew the carvings I would put into the shaft and started melting metal for the arrows.

As I was pouring the metal into molds, Inuyasha and Kikyou woke up. The shaft for the bow had cooled enough for me to carve the design into it and Kikyou spoke after my Okaa-san asked, for the thirtieth time, what was bothering me. “Lord Sesshomaru accused her of wanting a reward for taking Hime Rin back to the castle.” She said. My family knew me too well; I only made new weapons when I was upset.

 I ground my teeth together and finished carving into the shaft. The metal for the arrows had melted, so I poured it into molds. I had fifty molds and I used all of them. “Momma, I need room to work. I’m going to stay here for a few days. I’ll come to get Inuyasha and Kikyou tomorrow for their training.” I told her. My tone of voice alerted them I wasn’t in the mood for arguments.

My Okaa-san nodded and left with my siblings. Once alone, I carved designs into the arrows to finish them, and tied the chord to complete the bow. My anger sated for the moment, I went out into the market to get a quiver for my arrows. Then I remembered the thief had my money unless I went home to get some. I decided to speak to the owner of a hunting supplies shop; I had made his daughter a katana years before in exchange for a favor of my choosing.

“Hey, Totosai. Do you remember that favor you owe me’ I started. “Of course, Miss Kagome. What can I do for you?” he replied. “I need a quiver. A sturdy one that will hold fifty metal arrows. And,” I added as an after-thought, “I want to look at some of your leather archers’ glove.” I told him. “That’s very specific, Miss Kagome. You must have just made your arrows. I’ll see what I have.” He smiled as he spoke.

I nodded and the moment he left I turned to watch my shop from the entrance. I saw a line starting to form and hoped Totosai would hurry. “Here is the quiver, Miss Kagome. I have three pairs of gloves for you to choose from as well.” He told me as he placed three bundles on a counter. I lifted each pair in turn and tried them on one by one.

I decided on a black pair designed close to my bow that fit my hands perfectly. “These; thank you, Totosai.” I said, smiling at him. “I hope they serve you well.” He replied. I nodded to him before leaving to return to my shop. The line I thought was being made turned out to be a family. They followed me into the shop after I unlocked the door.

“Hello, how can I help you today?” I asked, smiling at them to make them feel more comfortable. “We need a katana. One that will be easy to use and adjust to. Our daughter is leaving to go to the southern kingdom and we want her to have something to protect herself with.” the man replied. I smiled; it wasn’t often someone got right to the point.

 “Do you have any preferences on design?” I inquired. The man nodded and passed over a piece of parchment. The design looked like flowing water over the blade. “Do you want these carved in or raised from the blade?” all these were standard questions that I asked with practiced ease. “Which will make the katana easier for her to swing?” the onna asked.

“Having it carved in will bring less resistance. That’s what I suggest. It will also move through flesh easier to bring attackers down faster.” I answered. “Then we want it carved in.” the man replied. I nodded to them and smiled again. “How do you intend to pay for this?” I questioned them.

That was when a teenage otokonoko stepped forward. “I will become an apprentice for you and work free of charge to pay for my sister’s and any other weapons my family commissions from you.” The otokonoko said quietly. “Do you intend for your family to commission more weapons?” I asked.

He nodded and seemed to be waiting for my answer. “Very well. I will take that deal.” I agreed, taking his hand in a firm shake. “When should we return for the katana?” the onna asked. Apprentices stay with their masters, so we will be able to finish it tonight. “Come back tomorrow.” I suggested. At that, they nodded and left the shop.

I turned to the otokonoko and studied him closely. He had red hair, emerald eyes, and he seemed a foot shorter than me. “What is your name?” I ask. “My name is Shippo.” He answered.

“Well, Shippo; it seems we will be spending a lot of time together. My name is Kagome. There are a few things you need to know if you are going to be my apprentice: my family is here often, so you will see a onna and two twins often; Lord Sesshomaru has instructed me that he would be coming here tomorrow, and he may visit periodically; every other day I spend a few hours after dawn training my siblings; anything that you see me making without someone asking for it is off limits. I think that’s everything. Welcome to the Siler Shaper’s family.” I smiled.

The moment I had told him about Lord Sesshomaru he seemed to have frozen. I knew what he must be thinking: ‘why was the Lord coming here?’ “Do you know anything about caring for metal?” I asked. He nodded, but seemed to be sheepish about it. “I know how to polish and properly protect it from the elements, but not much else." He admitted.

“Then I will teach you what I know. There is no need to be ashamed of you amount of knowledge. You are still young and learning. I can see you are destined for greatness. Now, shall we begin on your sister’s katana?” I suggested. He nodded and I led him to the kiln. “Get this to start. Do not stand too close once it is started or you could be burned. Once it starts, go to the last room of the shop and choose a mold that matches what you want for your sister. After you have done that, help me choose a type of metal for the katana.” I instructed him.

He nodded and set to work while I cleaned my carving knives. When the knives were clean, I turned my attention to the arrows still piled on my work table. Finally, after a few moments of frantically searching for my quiver and gloves, I found them and put all the arrows into the quiver. I placed my gloves in my pocket, and sat to double check my bow.

Once I was sure my bow was secure, I sat to watch Shippo. He finally chose a mold and I led him to the room where I stored the different types of metal I had. “Pick one. Follow your instincts. Let them guide your hand.” I told him Shippo nodded and, closing his eyes, held out his arm above piles of metal. Moments later, after he circled the room, his hand rested on the pile of silver.

“Good choice. Siler is easy to care for; difficult to be weathered by the elements; it doesn’t rust quickly; it’s light and strong; a perfect metal for the katana of a traveller.” I complimented. Shippo turned to me with a smile on his face and a light in his eyes. We returned to the main room of the shop so he could continue.
“Here,” I handed him a pot, “put the sliver in this then put it in the kiln to melt.” I instructed. He nodded and did so eagerly. After I heard the clank of the pot in the kiln, Shippo shouted. “What is it?” I asked. “I… I burned my hand.” He told me, turning to show me his injured appendage. Gently, so as not to cause him more pain, I grabbed his wrist and examined his hand.

“It’s not too bad. From now on, wear gloves when you deal with the kiln. Sit down and I’ll treat your hand while the silver melts.” I told him. I grabbed clean bandages, herbs for burns, and a bowl of water. I dunked Shippo’s hand in the water then dabbed it dry. Then, I crushed and mixed the herbs with a little water.

Carefully, I put the herbs on Shippo’s hand and slightly rubbed it in. As I wrapped the bandages tightly around his hand, Shippo hissed in pain. “Alright. You’re all set. So, I’m curious; what kind of youkai are you?” I asked. “Well, I’m a kitsune. The family I came with today are anaguma.” Shippo whispered. “What do you mean? I thought they were your family.” I wondered, confused.

“They weren’t my family. I consider their daughter my nee-chan, but they only really claimed me as their son today. My Okaa-san died when I was little and my father died years ago. I don’t have any other family.” Shippo answered. “They lied to me?” I demanded. Shippo nodded slowly and looked at the floor.

“I’ll give them that sword free of charge this time. But only because you consider the on’nanoko your sister. If you want to stay, then you can. But you will not stay for them. Do you understand, Shippo?” I asked him softly. “I’d like to stay. I have nowhere else to go, and I’d like to learn.” Shippo answered quietly.

 “Shippo, how old are you?” I questioned suddenly. “I’m sixteen.” Was his reply. I nodded and turned to the kiln. Seeing the silver had melted, I pulled it from the kiln and poured it into the mold as I considered the offer I wanted to give him. “Can I tell you something and trust you not to expose me?” I asked first.

“Yes.” he responded quickly. “I am a… a hanyou.” I spit out, holding my breath. “I understand.” He whispered. “I know I can never replace your Okaa-san; but if you would like, I can adopt you.” I offered. When his head snapped you and his eyes widened at me, I flinched and opened my mouth to tell him to forget it.

 I didn’t get a chance; because before I knew it, he had thrown himself at me and began hugging me tightly. “Can I take that as a yes?” I asked carefully. “Hai. I would love for you to adopt me, Miss Kagome. He said, his voice cracking ever so slightly.

 “Shippo, you can call me Okaa-san. Thank you; for allowing me the chance to be an Okaa-san.” I told him, hugging him tightly. He nodded against the top of my chest and I felt water drop on my shoulder. “Shhh… Shippo, it’s alright. Why don’t you sit down while I finish the katana?” I suggested.

As he sat down, I laid my carving knives on the table beside the katana’s design. I released the katana from the mold, sat beside Shippo, and began carving the design into the katana. “I found a prayer for protection a while ago; can I put it on the other side of the blade?” Shippo asked tentatively.

“Of course you can, honey. I’m almost done so as soon as I clean it you can start. After you carve the prayer in we’ll sharpen and polish it.” I told him. The silence that followed was deafening, and if I hadn’t finished the designs I would have started fidgeting. I flipped the katana over and slid it in front of Shippo.

“Here, this knife is for carving kanji. Let me know when you’re done and we’ll sharpen it, polish it, and bind the hilt. Go ahead and carve the prayer in while I clean my knife and gather the last of what we need to finish the katana.” I suggested as I stood from my seat. As Shippo began, I turned to a bucket of water to clean the knife.

After deciding it was clean, I put the knife on the shelf where it belonged, and gather the sharpening stone, cloth, and oil. Sitting back down, I noticed Shippo as just finishing carving the prayer into the katana. “Very good, Shippo. Ready to learn my secret to sharpening?” I asked. At his enthusiastic nod, I smiled and led him over to the kiln. I held the sword in the flames and at Shippo’s frantic look, I explained my actions.

“This is how I sharpen blades. Once the heat from the flames is felt in the hilt, we pull it out and sharpen it. We repeat this until the blade is sharp. It won’t ruin the design or the prayer.” At this, he relaxed. Quickly, I felt the heat in the hilt under my hand and pulled the katana from the flames. Grabbing the stone, I set to work sharpening the blade.

End Notes:

Yes, I added Shippo. He's going to be older than Inuyasha just for the fact that i don't want Inuyasha to be old enough to hit him. And yes, I took away Inuyasha's and Kikyou's possiblity to be a couple. I'm so evil, aren't I? :)

Chapter 8 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
More drama will come into play shortly. This is just the beginning of some very confusing drama that will ensue between Sesshomaru and Kagome. I hope you like it.

After sharpening and polishing the blade, I noticed the sun was about to set. “Shippo, are you hungry?” I asked. “Hai… momma.” he stuttered. I smiled at him as I gathered buckets for water. “Why don’t you gather some herbs from behind the shop while I get some water and meat for a stew?” I suggested.

He agreed and we both exited the shop then went in different directions. As I made my way to the stream, I caught four rabbits. Quickly skinning and cutting up the dead creatures, I washed the meat and gathered water. There, plenty for dinner tonight and breakfast tomorrow. I thought as I made my way back to my shop.

Upon entering, I found Shippo separating the herbs. Finding a pot, I poured water into it before choosing herbs to go with the rabbit. After placing the pot in the kiln to cook, I sat at the table and began cleaning it so we could eat. Just as I finished cleaning off the table, I began to smell the stew.

“Pull the stew from the kiln for me, Shippo?” I asked. As I grabbed bowls, utensils, and cups from the cupboard in the corner of the shop I heard Shippo carefully pull the stew out of the kiln and set the pot on the table. I dished out our food, poured water into our cups, and gave Shippo his bowl as I set mine on the table.

He dug in quickly, and I had to smile at the fuzzy feeling I got in my chest from watching him. “Slow down, Shippo. Your stomach will hurt if you eat too quickly.” I told him softly. He smiled sheepishly at me, but did as I asked.

                After dinner, I cleaned the dishes; put the away made a place to sleep for Shippo and myself; put a lid on the pot of stew; and got ready for bed. After putting out most of the fire in the kiln and the lamp outside the door of the shop, I laid down next to Shippo softly so I didn’t wake him.

He needs all the sleep he can get to deal with the stress that will be thrust on him by those people tomorrow. I thought as I got situated and let my eyes fall closed.

End Notes:
Okay... so I hope you liked this little tidbit of the story. Much more to come. Please review and tell me what you think. See ya ;D
Chapter 9 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
Right, here you are: another preview of Kagome's fiery temper. Hope you like this little bit of anger at using people and sweetenss towards Shippo. Once again, I do not own anything to do with Inuyasha. I simply own any extras and the plot.

Being rudely awakened by a shake to my arm, I rose and looked to see it was just a little after sunrise. I looked down at my side and saw Shippo was still asleep, so I turned my body until I saw legs by my side. “Can I… help you?” I asked as I tilted my head and saw it was Lord Sesshomaru who had woken me.

 “Get up.” He ordered. I stretched for a moment to get the kinks out of my muscles and was about to stand when he roughly grabbed my right arm where the wound was still healing and yanked me to my feet. I hissed in pain and clutched my arm as I pulled it from his grip.

“I do not appreciate being treated like that, my Lord. I have other people who would appreciate not having to wait for their purchases because you tried to break my arm. Also, I would appreciate you not wake up the otokonoko. He needs as much sleep as he can get for what awful stress he is about to experience.” I bit out. “You will watch your tone when speaking to me, Kagome.” He told me darkly.

“Excuse me, my Lord. But you are the one who just rudely woke me, yanked me roughly to my feet, and nearly tore open my wound when it is just closing. I believe, my Lord, that I entitled to having a slight tone when addressing you; and as I am trying my best not to follow my instincts and shout at you; it is not for your benefit, but for that little otokonoko and my family that I give you the respect I am giving you. I am sorry for my attitude, my Lord, but I am not inclined to show respect to normal people who insinuate things about me, clearly insulting me, in front of my young siblings; and then the next day expects me to be bowing, and showing the utmost of respect to them."

 "I realize it is not my place to be disrespectful to you, but I can easily pack up my family, my shop, and out home; and move to the eastern kingdom here Lord Kouga is a good friend of my family and treats me like a person and not some type of possession.” I intoned angrily.

I heard the enraged growl he let out but I couldn’t bring myself to care. I turned my back to him and gathered the katana Shippo had helped me make and a sheathe for it to be carried in. “You know I could easily kill you and that I have killed others for far less than what you have done; why do you continue to disrespect me?” he asked.

“Because I know what you are capable of and I know you are a very proud being. You would never attack an unarmed onna, especially one that has their back to said attack. I simply cannot bring myself to care for your threats as I am not a threat to you."

"I am too tired to care; not to mention I have to deal with a couple that will cause great stress to me and Shippo later and I need to conserve what worry I have for that meeting. I do not mean to be disrespectful to you, but I cannot fathom being respectful to someone who treats me like an object to be controlled.” I told him, as calmly as I possibly could.

I turned to him, and as he opened his mouth to speak, Shippo started to wake and shift around in the pallet I made. Sighing in relief and smiling, I kneeled beside him and shook him the rest of the way awake.

“Time to wake up, Shippo. You need to eat and get cleaned up before they get here.” I said softly. He nodded and slowly made his way to the stream to clean up. I left Lord Sesshomaru standing in the middle of the shop as I started up the kiln and put the pot over the flames.

“Lord Sesshomaru, you were going to bring my payment today. Is there anything else you wish to say to me?” I demanded. “Show me your arm, Kagome.” He ordered. I sighed, knowing I was going to be taken to the castle.

Willing my arm to heal, I turned and unwrapped it slowly. Just as slowly, I pulled the bandages away, and clinched my eyes shut as he stepped towards me and grabbed my arm just below the wound to examine it.

He dropped my arm a moment before I heard Shippo entering the market. “My Lord, is there a problem with my arm?” I asked quietly. Then I glanced down at my arm, to see it was fully healed and there wasn’t even a hint that there had ever been a wound at all.

“Wh- what? It was just closing ten minutes ago. It’s not possible that it fully healed in a few minutes.” I whispered. “Momma, should I get you your katana in case they try to attack you?” Shippo asked as he entered the shop.

“Sure, go ahead and get it. Set it on the table and get something to eat.” I told him. He nodded and rushed to find my katana. “Kagome, we must speak. Outside.” Lord Sesshomaru asserted. I nodded and stepped out of the shop with him following behind me.

“What is it, my Lord? I have a few things to attend to before my latest customers come to get their ‘purchase’.” I remarked, turning to face him after exiting the shop. “That otokonoko called you his Okaa-san. Why? You do not smell nearly the same, or look the same. You do not smell as if you have had a child.” Lord Sesshomaru stated easily.

“I have decided to adopt him because the couple I believed to be his parents only claimed him as a child to trade any labor he does for free work. I gave him the choice to stay for himself and I offered to adopt him; he accepted.” I answered, feeling the blood rush to my cheeks.

I had forgotten that the only scent the bracelet hid was my blood status to anyone that has smelled my scent before smelling my blood. Lord Sesshomaru nodded slowly and held out his hand and opened it to show a small silk bag lying on his palm.

It was the most beautiful bag I had ever seen. “What is that?” I asked. “Your payment. It’s in the bag.” He responded, holding the bag out to me. I took the bag carefully; afraid it would fall apart in my hand. I poured the money into my hand and waited for him to take it.

He looked at me strangely and I tilted my head to the side trying to figure out why he wouldn’t take the bag back. “Aren’t you going to take the bag back?” I asked. I could almost swear I saw humor float through his eyes as he looked at me. “Keep the bag.” He said shortly.

“But, this is a very expensive silk bag. I can’t possibly keep this.” I stammered. “Do you not like the bag?” he asked. “No… no it’s a very beautiful bag. But I can’t have something this beautiful and expensive around would terrify me. I can’t possibly be able to care for something this fragile.” I muttered.

“Keep the bag Kagome. I gave it to you and I intended for you to keep this.” He stated. “B-but, this bag…” I mumbled. “That bag is yours. Keep it.” He asserted. I sighed internally before nodding. “Was there anything else, my Lord?” I asked.

“Rin would like to play with your siblings again. I would like to bring her here, as it would be less dangerous than around the castle. There has been someone skulking around the gardens where she likes to play and I will not risk her getting hurt while my guards start searching for this person.” He replied.

“I will tell my siblings. I’m due to collect them later for their training this morning and will be doing so after I meet Shippo’s phony parents. If you would like to bring her today, they will be done with their training for the day in a few hours.” I told him, turning slightly to the doorway of the shop.

“I will bring her here in two hours.” He decided, turning on his heel and practically sauntering away from my shop. As I entered the shop again, I was nearly bowled over by Shippo as he threw himself at me and wrapped his arms as tight around me as he could.

“Shippo, what’s wrong, honey?” I asked softly as I let my hands rest on the top of his head and his shoulder. “I was worried about you. Are you okay? I couldn’t hear what you two were saying.” He whispered worriedly. “It’s alright Shippo. I’m perfectly fine. He asked me about you calling me ‘momma’, he told me Hime Rin wanted to play with my younger brother and sister, and he paid me for the work I did on his katana yesterday."

 "That’s all; I promise you. Everything is alright… Come, let’s get ready for the anaguma to get here.” I suggested. To show he agreed, Shippo rushed to clean up the pallet and finish his stew. “Slow down, honey. You’re going to make yourself sick eating so fast.” I asserted, patting his head after setting my bowl on the table. He smiled up at me and slowed down.

Just as we were finishing our breakfast, I heard the couple outside the shop, getting ready to enter. “Put the bowls in a bucket of water so we can wash them later and stand behind me.” I whispered to him. He nodded and did as I said quickly. Just after he was behind me, the couple entered, smiling and laughing softly at some joke.

“Hello, again. Here is the katana we made. Where is your musume?” I demanded. “She is outside; she doesn’t know why we’re here.” the man replied. “Bring her in.” I ordered, leaving no room for argument. The woman left after a nod from the man and returned with a girl that looked like a younger her.

“Kon’nichiwa. There is something Shippo wants to give you before you leave for the southern kingdom.” I told her sweetly. I stepped to the left, handed Shippo the katana, and motioned for her to step forward. I heard the sharp intake of breath as she unsheathed the katana and looked it over.

“It’s beautiful. You even used the protection prayer we found months ago. Did you draw the designs before they were carved in?” she asked quietly. Shippo only nodded and smiled at her. She re-sheathed the katana and tied it to her hip.

“I hope you rarely have to use it but he chose well and it will serve you well.” I told her, smiling. The on’nanoko nodded and exited the shop, leaving Shippo to move behind me as her parents approached my table.

“We need two more katanas.” The man said. “No. I know all about what you are to Shippo and I know you just claimed him for free work. I am legally adopting Shippo and you will never get free work from my shop again.” I told them.

 “You can’t do that.” the woman argued. “Actually, I can. You lied to me, used Shippo, and you are greedy. I gave him the choice and he chose to stay. So get out of my shop.” I angrily ordered.

The man stepped toward me and I grabbed my katana off the table and unsheathed it as I turned the blade on him. “Get out of my shop! I will not tell you again!” I yelled. Finally, they turned and left. I sighed in relief and re-sheathed my katana.

“Grab a katana, Shippo. We’re going to go get my siblings and train.” I told him. He nodded, grabbed the katana I had made as a twin to mine and I locked the shop up after putting out the kiln. As we walked to my home, I smiled down at Shippo and stopped. I realized I forgot my own weapons.

“Stay here. I’ll be right back.” I told him as I turned back. I ran back to the shop; unlocked it; went in; grabbed my katana, bow, and quiver of arrows; then ran back to Shippo after locking up the shop. Quickly we made our way the rest of the way home.

End Notes:
Hope you liked this. Please review and tell me if you like it or not. Oh, and by the way, Sesshomaru and Kagome will be getting more surprises soon.
Chapter 10 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:

Right.... training begins for the kids and we have some four on one time for Kagome and the kids. Hope you like this and the little conversation between Sesshomaru and Kagome near the end.

 

               “Kikyou, Inuyasha, it’s time to go.” I called as we entered the house. The twins ran out of their rooms dressed for the day with their katanas tied to their sides. I kneeled down to hug them then turned to introduce them to Shippo. “Shippo, this is my nee-chan, Kikyou; and my onee-chan, Inuyasha. Kikyou, Inuyasha, this is Shippo; I adopted him as my musuko.” I told them, knowing my Okaa-san could hear me.

                When she didn’t come out of her room and object, I decided it was time to leave. Kikyou climbed on my back, but instead of Inuyasha joining her, he climbed on Shippo’s back. I smiled at my onee-chan and my musuko. It’s amazing I already think of him as my son, but I wouldn’t change it for the world.  

               After Kikyou and Inuyasha were comfortable we made our way to the clearing I had set up years ago as a training ground for us. Setting Kikyou down on one of the logs used as a seat, I looked around the lush green clearing to make sure everything was in order. “Right. Do you remember what I taught you last time?” I asked the twins.

              They nodded and unsheathed their katanas as I pulled my bow from my back. “Shippo, Kikyou and Inuyasha are going to show you some moves that I taught them. Okay?” I asked. Shippo nodded and unsheathed his katana. After the three began, I made my way across the clearing to where I had a shooting range set up.

              I pulled an arrow from the quiver on my back and aimed it at the target. As the twins’ katanas crashed together, I released the arrow. Moments later, my arrow hit the center of the mark. Smiling, I jumped back and released another arrow before I landed at the base of a tree fifty feet from my original spot.

              I released one more arrow before going to retrieve them. As I pulled them from the mark, I heard the distinctive sound of metal through flesh. When I turned, I saw a man with a cut running down his arm, and a woman shaking her head a few feet behind him. They were easy to recognize. Long black hair; brown eyes; tajiya armor; and the scent of roses and ocean water; I knew it was Sango.

             Which meant the man with short black hair; violet eyes; baggy purple clothes; and the scent of cedar and mountain springs was Miroku. “Sango! Miroku! It’s so good to see you!” I shouted, hurrying over to hug them. “So, whose sword has your blood on it?” I asked Miroku, smiling wider when he motioned to Kikyou.

              “Alright. Go sit down and I’ll patch you up. The three of you, go relax in the shade for a while.” I told the children. They nodded and followed Sango and I to where Miroku say. As I kneeled in front of him, I decided to scare him a little. “Miroku, you might lose your arm.” I told him, doing my best not to laugh when fear mingled with his scent.

               “I’m joking. Calm down.” I laughed. Grabbing the bottom of the shirt he wore, I ripped a good sized piece off. “Kagome, why did you do that?” he practically whined. “Well, I need something to wrap around your arm until we return to the shop. I won’t be going back for a few hours, so you can always go home and ask momma to fix you up.” I suggested.

              “I think that’s what we’ll do. Should we meet you at the shop?” Sango asked. I nodded and watched as they left. A moment later, I felt Lord Sesshomaru’s aura crashing against my own. “Inuyasha, Kikyou, Shippo; put your weapons away.” I ordered them as I felt him about to enter the clearing. I bowed to him before kneeling to eye level with the Hime.

               I chuckled as she rubbed her tired eyes with a small fist. “Good morning, Hime Rin.” I told her, smiling as she turned her attention to the children. As she made her way to them, I stood and made my way past Lord Sesshomaru to straight across from my archery target. I pulled my gloves on and quickly strung an arrow.

              “What are you doing?” Lord Sesshomaru asked. “I am practicing, my Lord. I only get the chance to practice every other day and even then I don’t often get the chance to work on my own skills.” I explained. I deftly pulled another arrow from behind me, but spun to face Lord Sesshomaru after he grabbed it from my hand.

              He was studying the carvings and comparing it to my bow. “My Lord, may I have my arrow back?” I requested. Suddenly, he snatched the bow from my hand and compared the carvings on it to the carvings on the arrow. “My Lord, is there a reason you took my arrow and my bow?” I demanded testily. I didn’t care if it offended him; I was tired of his attitude towards me.

             The glare he sent me was almost playful; and I had to force myself not to gasp. I didn’t want to lose my glimpse of his emotionless mask falling. “Who forged these?” He questioned. “I did.” I answered. “When?” he asked. “Yesterday, after I returned to my shop from your palace.” I told him. I didn’t know why I was telling him all of this.

             He didn’t need to know my weakness, but I felt safe telling him these things. “Why?” he queried. “I- I make new weapons when I’m upset. I made those to work through the anger I felt from what you said to me.” I answered truthfully. What am I doing?! He could kill me! I screamed in my mind. Yet, his eyes seemed to soften.

             I flinched when his hand that held my bow lifted, faintly expecting a blow across my cheek. “I will not strike you. Rin cares for you too much and if I were to strike you she would nag me until you were healed. I prefer not to upset my nee-chan.” He replied. “Thank you, my Lord. May I have my weapons back?” I asked, holding out my hands.

             As soon as I had them, I turned swiftly to the sound of rustling bushed behind me. A moment before whoever it was exited the tree line; I smelled roses and ocean water. I lowered my bow and put the arrow back into my quiver. I was placing my bow on my back when Sango wandered to me. “Kagome, do you still have my weapon at the shop?” she asked.

             “Of course. It’s hung on the wall above my tools. I told you I would take care of it.” I retorted. At Sango’s smile, I passed her my key. “Here. Watch over the shop for me until I get back. And keep Miroku away from my tools.” I instructed her. She nodded and left the way she came. “Why would you give a ningen access to your shop?” Lord Sesshomaru asked.

             “Because it doesn’t matter if she’s a ningen or a youkai; either way she is still Sango. She is my friend because of who she is, not what she is. I trust Sango. She is as much my nee-chan as Kikyou.” I answered. “Why a ningen?” he asked. “I don’t really notice her blood status. It doesn’t matter to me that she’s ningen. She’s my shin’yu.” I told him, matter-of-factly.

            I pulled my arrow from the mark and placed my gloves in my pocket as I let him think over what I had told him. After setting my bow and quiver against a log, I sat to watch the children and listen to the couples in the village and market. Even though he couldn’t see it, my ear twitched when Lord Sesshomaru sat beside me.

           “How can you have such tolerance for ningen?” he asked. “How can you hate ningen and hanyou so much?” I retorted. I knew I shouldn’t have said that. I knew I had no right to question the Lord. But I wanted –needed- to know why he hated ningen, and hanyou –like me-. “Deep in my heart there is pain and darkness.

             I used to adore watching couples of all ages be happy. But betrayal and pain can turn even the happiest person cold. That is why I hunt hanyou; the onna that destroyed my heart was a hanyou who left me for a ningen. Hanyou are not capable of feeling as youkai or even ningen.” Lord Sesshomaru sighed and I decided to have my say in the matter.

             “That’s not true. A full blood can be just as cold as the onna who hurt you.” I replied. I was about to have to lie to him again, and I was glad that the charm on my wrist prevented him from knowing the truth, for now. “I knew a hanyou that fell in love, and lied to her love to stay alive. She would have told him instantly she was not a full blood if she hadn’t feared his rejection. Do you know what my Okaa-san told her?"

             "‘Stay away from him; he is cold and kills all hanyou that pass him. If he loves you, he will search for you; and when he finds out, he should no longer care for the potency of your blood.’” with that, I left him to think over what I had said. As I slipped into the children’s game of tag, I could fell Lord Sesshomaru’s eyes on me.

End Notes:
Hope you liked this. I'm pretty sure the next chapter and the ones that follow it will give you some extra amusement. See ya.
Chapter 11 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
Alright, here you get to see a more 'restless' side of Kagome and her youkai blood. I hope you like the little closeness and fight I put in.

Hours later, I could tell it was time for Lord Sesshomaru and Hime Rin to leave. I kneeled in front of the hime after she lowered her eyes and tears formed in the corners of her eyes. “Hime, I will stand by what I said yesterday. If you ever wish to play with Kikyou, Inuyasha, and Shippo, you need only send word. There’s no need for your tears.” I whispered, being careful of my claws as I wiped away the few stray tears that had been freed from her eyes.

“You promise?” she asked. “I promise, Hime Rin.” I assured. “You can call me Rin, Miss Kagome.” She replied. “Alright. But only if you call me Kagome; no ‘Miss’.” I responded. I smiled and stood after she agreed. The children crowded behind me as Lord Sesshomaru stepped forward. Kikyou and Inuyasha held onto my legs while Shippo held onto my side.

 For a split second, a look of longing seemed to pass over Lord Sesshomaru’s eyes. I must be seeing things. As they left my eyesight, I let out a annoyed growl. “Great. I didn’t even get ten minutes of practice. Much less a good spar with the dummies. Now how am I supposed to keep my temper in check?” I muttered to myself. Suddenly, Lord Sesshomaru appeared again, without Rin.

“Welcome back, my Lord. Is there something you need?” I asked, as nicely as I could. “If you are so keen to spar, then I will spar with you.” He offered. I smiled gratefully and sent the children on their way. “Go to the shop. Tell Sango to watch it until I get there. Behave for Sango and Miroku.

Don’t give them any problems. Shippo, if someone has an order, take it and tell them I will be back later.” I instructed, planting a kiss on each of their foreheads as I pushed them along. When I could no longer see them, I turned my smile to Lord Sesshomaru. “Thank you, my Lord.” I said, smiling brightly at him.

After giving a slight bow, we crouched in attacking positions. With a slight upturn at the corner of his lips, Lord Sesshomaru attacked. I barely had time to dodge before he moved again. For the next ten minutes I stay on the defensive. And then… a root tripped me up and his fist connected with my abdomen.

The force of the impact caused me to fly backwards until my back hit a tree. Even as I cried out from the pain, I was launching my own attack. Finally, Lord Sesshomaru was on the defensive. It didn’t take long for me to land a few punches and kicks; but I received claw marks and small doses of poison in return.

Soon, our sparring turned into wrestling as we each tried to win. Before I could blink; I was on my back, staring up at Lord Sesshomaru as he held my hands captive above my head with one of his own. My legs were trapped beneath his and his free hand was to the right of my face. He seemed to be waiting for something, and after a while he dug his claws into my wrists.

His poison was being pushed into my blood as I screamed out in pain. He beat me, why is he continuing to pump poison into my blood stream?! What an evil inu. Inu! He’s an inu! I turned my head to the side and lifted my chin, showing submission even as my instincts screamed at me not to and to make him pay.

The moment he let go, I scrambled away to sit by my weapons. One look at my wrists told me all I needed to know: there was no way I’d be working for a while. This is going to hurt. I thought with a grimace. Quickly, I began licking my wounds and trying not to cry out again.

After making sure to coat my wrists in my saliva to facilitate healing, I gathered my weapons and began making my way to the river. I was just about to dip my hands into the water when Lord Sesshomaru grabbed my wrists. I bit my tongue to keep from screaming as I turned to face him.

He opened his mouth to speak but I interrupted him before he got a word out. “Please, release my hands, my Lord.” I requested, doing my best not to glare at him. He just continued to stare at me; so I grit my teeth together and yanked my hands out of his grip. Carefully, I dipped my hands into the cool, clear water of the river, sighing as it relieved some of the pain.

Crap, I have to wrap them until I get to the shop. I’ll have to tear the bottom of my shirt. Great. Glaring at the ground, hoping it would burst into flames as I imagined Lord Sesshomaru’s face; I ripped the bottom half of my shirt and ripped that piece down the middle. I set one piece on my leg to keep it clean and gripped the first piece between my teeth and my fingers.

Carefully, I tied the first piece around my left wrist and pulled it tight as I tied it. Then, I repeated that process with my right wrist. When I was just about to finish tying it closed, the cloth slipped from my teeth; and then the cloth of my left wrist untied and fell to the ground. I growled and before I could get my anger under control, I punched the ground and cried out from the pain that shot up my arm.

This is his fault! And mine! I just had to have a spar session! Growling, I gripped the cloth tightly between my teeth and my fingers as I wrapped the cloth around my left wrist again. I tied it as tightly as I could; and then I started the process over again on my right wrist. I was just about to finish tying it when my fingers slipped again and it fell to the ground.

“That’s it! I’ll have Sango do it! I can’t waste any more time on this stupid thing!” I yelled, completely forgetting I wasn’t alone. A chuckle off to the side brought me out of my thoughts and I turned to glare at Lord Sesshomaru. I just didn’t care what he did anymore. I was angry and I was already doing my best not to yell at him and attack like my instincts wanted me to.

 Spinning quickly on my heel, I gingerly picked up my weapons and walked away still trying to put them where they belonged. Finally, I got my quiver and bow on my back, and tied my katana back on my hip. I heard Lord Sesshomaru behind me, but he could rot for all I cared at the moment.

End Notes:
Hope you liked this. Please review and let me know what you think. More to come and the next chapter has this little scene I like that should have many of you laughing.
Chapter 12 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
Here you go. Someone is coming to visit everyone. Can you guess who it is before you read this chapter?

                 As we neared the shop, I heard deep laughter mixed with Sango’s, Miroku’s, and the children’s laughter. Then, I smelled wolves, mountains, and the distinct scent of the springs from the east. “It can’t be. He hasn’t visited in years.” I muttered to myself. Right outside the shop, everyone stepped outside and hid someone behind them.

                 “Who’s behind you?” I asked them. “You should be able to know who I am by my scent by now, Kagome.” The deep baritone voice commented. “Kouga-kun? When did you get here?! What are you doing here?! I thought you weren’t supposed to visit for a few more moon cycles!” I shouted as I ran past the others and jumped in his arms, hugging him as tightly as I could. As I wrapped my arms around him, I brushed my wrists against his fur, and before I could stop it, a whimper of pain escaped me.

                 “What’s wrong, Kagome?” Kouga-kun asked me softly. I shook my head against his shoulder and waited for a few moments to regain my composure before carefully pulling back and smiling up at him. “Don’t worry about it Kouga-kun. How have you been? I’ve missed you. You promised to visit more often.” I told him, pretending to pout. I heard a growl from behind me, but dismissed it. “I’ve been good. So, tell me, when did you adopt Shippo? And how’s your Okaa-san?” he asked.

                 “I adopted Shippo yesterday. Momma’s been pretty good. Um… do you think you could help me?” I asked him, slowly lifting my wrists to his eyesight. “Kagome, who did this to you? What happened?” he demanded. I turned my gaze away from him, and my eyes flitted to Lord Sesshomaru. “Hello, Lord Sesshomaru. It’s been a while.” Kouga-kun said coldly. “Lord Kouga, what brings you to my kingdom?” Lord Sesshomaru asked, just as coldly.

                 “Kagome and her family are dear friends of mine. I figured I would take advantage of the spare time I have to visit before the peace ball at my palace.” Kouga-kun replied, eyeing him coolly. “Very well, please, feel free to visit my home before you leave.” Lord Sesshomaru told him, turning his gaze to me. Again, I saw the fleeting look of longing, and now sorrow, cross his eyes; and then it was gone and the mask was back. “Good day, Lord Sesshomaru; please bring Rin around at any time.” I said, bowing.

                 He nodded, turned, and left. It was all I could do to not yell at him as my eye twitched from barely restrained anger. “Kagome, who did that to you?” Kouga-kun repeated. “Um… Lord Sesshomaru offered to spar with me. he beat me, but I forgot to… submit and… this happened. I couldn’t wrap my wrists before I got here… the cloth kept untying and falling. I ruined my shirt for nothing.” I finally answered.

                 “Go sit down silly onna and I’ll be inside in a moment to bandage you up.” Kouga-kun ordered, smiling and pushing me towards the door. I sent him a playful glare before going inside the shop. What I saw when I entered my work space sent anger straight through me. “Miroku!!” I yelled. I heard coughing outside the door and took a deep breath before speaking again.

                 “Miroku, what did you do? I told you not to reorganize my shop again! I had my shop organized how I wanted it! Did you not learn from the last time?!” I couldn’t help the way my voice raised in anger. When Miroku stepping into the shop with his head bowed, I decided to take it slightly easy on him.

                 “You are very lucky I can’t hit anything without causing myself pain, Miroku. Now, I want you to put my shop back the way it was when I left his morning; or so help me I will beat you with a sakura switch until my own hands bleed!” I shouted at him. I could see him shaking in his clothes and decided to allow him a slight reprieve from my anger. “You are eighteen Miroku. It’s time for you to start acting your age and act responsible. That means listening to people and not disobeying them; so stop reorganizing my shop. You can start on it after Kouga-kun wraps my wrists. And I want it exactly how I left it; not a single tool, sheet of metal, or weapon out of place.” I demanded, eyeing him through narrowed eyelids.

                 “Of course, Lady Kagome. I’m so sorry I thought you were just kidding. I will set it to rights immediately.” He replied, starting towards the wall behind me. I sighed and laid my head on the table as I sat down, hoping Kouga-kun would hurry so I could take Kikyou and Inuyasha home. Finally, he stepped inside with a sheepish smile and say in front of me. “So, care to tell me why you were sparring with Sesshomaru?” Kouga-kun asked as he lifted my hands to look at the wounds.

                 “He insulted me yesterday. You know I need to do something to keep my temper under control. Rin was playing with Inuyasha, Kikyou, and Shippo earlier, so I couldn’t very well spar with them behind me. He offered to spar with me, and I accepted. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But, then he pinned me, and he was waiting for me to submit. I didn’t realize that was what he wanted, and when it took too long, he pushed his poison into my wrists. I know it was stupid, I feel like an idiot now. But I really needed to calm down. Now I can’t even work until they heal. I tried to wrap my wrists at the river, but my fingers kept slipping and it was talking too long. And I was not about to ask Lord Sesshomaru for help. I figured I would ask Sango to wrap them for me. Ow!” I yelled when he squeezed my wrist a little too tight.

                 “Gomen Kagome. Do you want some herbs to take the pain away?” he questioned. I shook my head and blinked the urge to cry away. Finally, he finished wrapping my wrists and I could stand. I leaned down by his side and hugged him again. “Thank you, Kouga-kun. Would you walk home with me to take Kikyou and Inuyasha home? I’m sure Momma would like to see you too. How long are you staying?” I asked.

                 “Just for a few days. The peace ball is set for the night of the full moon; so I have to leave a few days before then to make sure everything is ready.” He answered. “Okay, let’s go. Miroku, I want this finished tomorrow if you don’t finish it today. If anyone shows up with an order write it down and tell them I’ll get to work on it as soon as I can. When the sun sets come home, and lock up before you leave.” I instructed him.

                 At his nod, I spun on my heel, grabbed Kouga-kun’s hand, and drug him outside with me. “Kagome, I can walk on my own.” He pouted. “I know, but you take so long to go anywhere. I just want to go home.” I retorted. Once outside, I kneeled down in front of Kikyou, and she climbed on my back while Inuyasha climbed on Shippo’s back. “Sango, are you going to stay here or go with us?” I asked. She hesitated a moment before speaking.

       “I’ll stay for now. Go on ahead; we’ll be there in a few hours.” She decided, smiling a little too sweetly. I nodded, grabbed Shippo’s and Kouga-kun’s hands, and we began on our way home.

End Notes:
Here you go. Bet you didn't think it was Kouga that was coming to visit. the chapters should be getting longer soon; hopefully. Please review but if no one does I'll still put this story up; but I'd really like to know if anyone likes it. See ya.
Chapter 13 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
Here we are. More family time for them all. I'll tell you now, I'm not adding anyone from hte modern era of the show or the manga in this story.

After entering the house, I set Kikyou on her feet, and picked a sleeping Inuyasha off of Shippo’s back. “Momma, where are you?” I called as I made my way to Inuyasha’s room. Carefully, I laid him in the bed, tucked him under his cover, and quietly left the room. “In the kitchen, Kagome. Who’s with you? I don’t remember four people with you when you left.” My Okaa-san called back.

“Come out of the kitchen; we have a visitor.” I told her cryptically. As my Okaa-san entered the spacious room, she smiled wide and hugged Kouga-kun tightly; causing him to make an ‘oomph’ sound at the impact. “Welcome back, Kouga-kun. What brings you here?” she asked pulling back and making her way to the kitchen. “I decided to visit while I had some spare time before the peace festival next week.” He answered.

“Ah, and how is the peace festival looking this year?” she questioned. “Well, it looks alright. I’d much rather not have to put it together this year. I’m not very good putting together parties.” Kouga-kun sighed. “Remember last time, and you accidentally gave the lord of the south a tray of mice? He was so angry.” I recalled, laughing at the memory as if it had been just yesterday.

“It wasn’t that funny, Kagome.” Kouga-kun muttered, pouting. “I’m sorry, Kouga-kun. I just haven’t had occasion to laugh in a few days.” I told him, picking up a sleep Kikyou and turning to her room. As I laid her in her bed, she hugged me close; surprising me with how strong she’d gotten lately. “Go to sleep for now, Kikyou. I’ll come and wake you up in a little while. I promise.” I told her, pulling her arms from around me.

The moment her head hit the pillow, she was out. I tucked her into her cover and left the room. “Are you tired, Shippo?” I asked him, smiling softly when he simply nodded. Even though he was almost as tall as me, I picked him up and carried him to my room, and laid him on my bed. As I entered the room again, I saw Kouga-kun’s mischievous smile and did my best not to blush.

“What?” I asked. “You would make a wonderful mother, Kagome.” He said, smiling wider. “Hush, Kouga-kun. I am an Okaa-san, sort of. I’m Shippo’s Okaa-san now. And that’s all I need.” I told him. “Eventually, you’ll want a mate, and children of your own flesh and blood.” he retorted. “I may not have given birth to Shippo, but he is my musuko and I don’t want you to say otherwise because I won’t listen. I don’t want a mate. I’m perfectly fine with the way things are now.” I whispered.

“Kagome, you adopted that boy. Your maternal instincts are some of the best I know. Not even most ningen would take in an orphaned child as their own. And man would be lucky to have you.” He pushed. “Enough, Kouga-kun. I am not going to meet any of those suitors you think would be food for me. You’re my friend; so please respect my decision and stop trying to convince me to marry.” I sighed.

He finally nodded and I sat with him while momma was in the kitchen. I knew if I tried to help she’d just chase me out of the kitchen, so I didn’t even try anymore.

A little before dinner was ready, I heard Sango running to the house, and smelt the scent of tears in the air. “Oh no. Stay in the house.” I told Kouga-kun. I didn’t wait for a response, just ran out the door to catch Sango. “Sango, what’s wrong?” I asked, catching her arm and spinning her to face me. “That stupid Miroku. He can’t keep his stupid hands or comments to himself. He was flirting with the village girls!” she yelled, anger and hurt clearly ringing in her voice.

I hugged her, and lead her to the tree line for a little bit of privacy while we talked. “Sango, honestly, why are you traveling with him?” I asked. “Because I love him. He’s my intended.” She answered. “Then set him straight. I know it has to hurt when he flirts with village girls. Don’t let him keep hurting you.” I asserted.

“But”- “No buts. As long as you let him flirt without consequences he will continue to do so. I will not see you hurt again.” I told her “He does have consequences.” Sango muttered. “Being unconscious doesn’t work forever. Tell him how he hurts you; he’ll stop.” I intoned. I could see her fighting with herself and decided that she would make the right decision.

“Come on inside now. Dinner’s almost ready. Miroku should turn up soon enough.” I said. As we entered the house, I knew I was right. Sango would have to stand up for what she wanted, and I knew she had it in her to do it. She just needed that extra little push. I woke the children up one at a time, and brought them into the dining room.

We ate in silence when Miroku entered the house. “Your food is in the kitchen. You’ll have to heat it over the fire since it is most likely cold.” I told him, keeping my tone neutral. He nodded, a frown marring his visage, but shrugged it off. When he sat down, he had to sit across from Sango, and frowned again when she looked away from him immediately.

I was about to let out a growl, when I felt Lord Sesshomaru’s aura coming towards the house. Scanning everyone at the table, I made sure that my family had their bracelets on before standing and making my way to the door. Once outside, I leaned against the door frame and waited for him to exit the tree line.

“Can I help you, my Lord? I asked, making my voice as neutral as possible. “I would like to speak privately with you.” He said, leaving no room for arguments. I nodded, stood up straight, and led him to the edge of the river that was just outside of Kouga-kun’s hearing range. “What is it you wished to speak to me about, my Lord?” I bit out. After I spun to face him, I noticed his mask has fallen completely, and I couldn’t help but let out a small gasp at the strange emotions I saw flitting across his face.

“I wish to apologize for my behavior towards you. For my callous and unfounded insult towards you yesterday, and for what I did to your hands earlier.” He claimed, stepping closer towards me. After a moment, I realized there was barely a foot between us, and I drew in a barely calm breath before speaking.

“Thank you, my Lord; for the apology. I hold nothing against you. Now, if you will excuse me, Lord Sesshomaru; I have to make sure my siblings and my musuko bathe before bed. As well as take care of my guests, my Okaa-san, and myself. Am I to assume that Rin will be here in the morning to play with the children?” I asked, turning slightly to the house.

At his nod, I barely tilted my lips up in a smile. “Very well. Good night, Lord Sesshomaru.” I told him, turning fully to the house to make my way back. Before I could get three steps away, Lord Sesshomaru grabbed my wrist and I hissed from the pain. “Kagome, make no mistake, I can harm you, but I did not intend to, nor do I intend to let you be harmed.” He declared, staring me in the eye.

“I understand, my Lord. Please, release my wrist?” I asked, barely managing from keeping the pain at bay. Slowly, as if he wished to say something else, he let go and I turned back. I made my way back to the house and was about to slip past the door, when Lord Sesshomaru grabbed my arm and spun me to face him again.

“My Lord?” I questioned. “What you said about the hanyou earlier, what happened when her love found out about her?” he demanded. I scrunched my eyes together and weighed my options before speaking. “She made a mistake. He didn’t love her as he had said. He hurt her, and left her. She vowed to never make the same mistake again. She died inside that night; and even now, she still has moments when she just breaks down into tears.” I told him.

He seemed to be warring with himself, and I stood as still as I could, trying not to blush at how close we were. “I shall see you all tomorrow then. Good bye, Kagome.” He finally said. “Good bye, Lord Sesshomaru." I replied, finally able to go inside.

When I entered the house, I could tell all the adults had questions, but they waited until Lord Sesshomaru had left completely before voicing any of them. As they all opened their mouths, I held my hand up, and walked past them to the children. “Alright, bath time. Shippo, Inuyasha, the two of you are old enough to bathe in Inuyasha’s bathroom. Kikyou, go bathe in your bathroom.” I ordered, leaving no room for complaints.

After hearing them get into their baths, I finally turned to the others and sat down, waiting for their questions to begin. “What did he want?” Kouga-kun asked. “He apologized for insulting me and what happened earlier today.” I answered. “What about the hanyou he was talking about?” Momma asked.

“I told him a variation of what happened to you to try to explain that all hanyou a weren’t evil.” I replied. She nodded and left for the kitchen to clean up dinner. “Sango, we’ll be sharing my room. Miroku, you can sleep in Inuyasha’s room. Kouga-kun… Hmmm…. Where are you going to sleep?” I asked myself.

“I have somewhere for Kouga-kun to sleep Kagome. You girls go get your bath and go to bed.” Momma called from the kitchen. “Alright momma. Come on Sango.” I said, grabbing her hand and dragging her to my room. I started the bath, hoping to get clean and in bed quickly. “Do you remember when we first met?” I asked, after we had settled into the water.

“Yeah, I’m still sorry about that.” Sango muttered. “Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault that your training taught you to attack me. I’m just glad you weren’t a ganko-sha and you had enough common sense to listen to me.” I replied. “Yeah, but I’m still sorry I attacked you back then. I can’t imagine doing that now.” She responded.

I smiled and grabbed the soap, working it into my hair quickly. “Do you want me to rewrap your wrists before bed?” Sango asked. “Yes, thank you.” I said, ducking under the water to rinse. Once I was completely clean, I climbed out of the water, and dressed in a sleeping gown my mother had bought me a few moons ago.

A quick towel to my hair dried it enough to sleep with. “Where are the bandages?” Sango called from the bathroom. “Above the soaps.” I called back. When Sango walked into the room, she was dressed in a pink and green sleeping gown and was carrying clean bandages.

Sitting on the bed beside her, I bit into the cloth on my wrists and tore them open; then held out my hands for her to bandage. Quickly, she wrapped my wrists tight without them being too tight. “Thank you Sango.” I said hugging her. “You’re welcome, Kagome.” She responded before pulling back. I blew the candle out, and we laid down for the night.

End Notes:
Well, I hope you liked this chapter. It's longer than I'd originally planned, but I like the way it turned out.
Chapter 14 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:

Here we go. I hope the scene where he fed her is as humorous as I wanted it to be. There's just a hint of angst at the end of this chapter so hopefully that will grab your interest as well.

 When I woke in the morning, the sun was already an hour into the sky. You have got to be kidding me. Lord Sesshomaru will be here any minute! With that thought fueling me, I jumped from the bed and dressed in some of my more worn clothing, knowing I would get dirty playing with the kids. Pushing my gloves into my pocket, I threw my bow and quiver over my shoulder and ran out the room. “Shippo, Inuyasha, wake up otokonokos. Rin and Lord Sesshomaru will be here soon.” I called into the door.

As I heard them jumping out of the bed and getting dressed, I made my way to Kikyou’s room. “Kikyou, wake up. Rin will be here to play soon.” I said, gently shaking her awake. When she got out of bed, I rushed back into my own room and grabbed a hair tie. I ran a brush through my wavy ebony hair and quickly tied it back. The children all came out of their rooms and we ate a quick breakfast of fruit before leaving the house to make our way to the clearing.

We entered the clearing just moments before Lord Sesshomaru did. “Good morning, Lord Sesshomaru. Good morning Rin. I trust you slept well.” I said, smiling down at the little on’nanoko. She smiled and nodded before heading to the children. I smiled at them then turned to the target across from me and glared at it. I pulled an arrow from my quiver and grimaced as I strung it back in my bow. Growling, I release it and watched as it hit the center of the mark.

“Baka lord thinks he can just choose suitors for me just because he thinks he knows what’s best for me. I told him to stop trying to find me a mate. He’s going to keep pushing before I finally go out on my own to prove just how much that annoys me. Even if I have to fight every suitor he picks, I’ll prove that I don’t need to be married off.” I muttered to myself. A growl behind me was the only thing that kept me from spinning and shooting an arrow at the intruder.

One sniff of the air told me who it was. “Come on out, Miroku.” I called, stringing another arrow and sending it spiraling towards the target. “Kagome, do you know what’s bothering Sango?” he asked after stopping a few feet away from me. “She’s hurt and angry with you. You should know this by now, Miroku.” I told him, letting another arrow fly. “Why?” he asked dumbly.

“Because baka, you were flirting with village on’nanokos. You are her intended and when you flirt with other onna you make her feel inferior. It hurts her when you flirt with other onna because it makes it seem like you won’t be a faithful otto. Sango may not have said it, but she is thinking about leaving you. She’s tired of being treated like that. Unless you clean up your act you’re going to lose her, Miroku.” I intoned. I could see the fearful look in his eyes and decided to try to help him.

 “Make her feel like you’ll be faithful. Show her how much you love her. Stop flirting with every onna you meet. And try to keep your wandering hand restricted to her backside.” I bit out, grabbing his hand in midair before he had the chance to place it on my backside. Using his arm, I spun him to the trees and gave him a push. “Now go on before you lose your chance. And don’t forget to finish my shop today.” I ordered.

Shaking my head, I turned back to my target and quickly strung and released another arrow. “What is bothering you?” Lord Sesshomaru suddenly asked. I drew in a quick breath, and lowered my bow. “Lord Kouga was trying to convince me to meet suitors again last night I have told him before not to pick suitors out for me, but he insists on trying to find a mate for me.” I answered.

“That made you angry?” he questioned, clearly surprised. “Most onna may love the idea of a lord of the four kingdoms personally choosing suitors for them, but I am not like most onna. I do not wish to be wed off to the first otoko that thanks he can prove his worth through some stupid games and a few short talks. I refuse to be like the onna who gladly marry the first otoko to ask for their hand and end up unhappy because I was a simpleton and allowed my life to be ruled by an otoko. Kouga-kun is one of best friends, but I refuse to allow him to try to pick a mate for me based simply on the fact that he thinks he knows what is best for me.” I remarked, turning back to my target.

 “You’re such a kimyona onna.” Lord Sesshomaru replied, laughing lightly. “How so?” I asked simply. “You are a black smith. You adopt orphaned kits. You do not notice blood status. You repeatedly disrespect me and then make amends. You do not expect rewards. You are friends with the Lord of the east and ask for nothing but his friendship. You do not allow anyone to order you around. You do not wish to be wed to an otoko chosen by a lord. You defend hanyou. Is there no end to your oddity?” he questioned.

I sighed; such wonderful compliments just had to be ruined by the insult. “Perhaps, but perhaps I will remain an ‘oddity’.” I bit out, growling under my breath. I made my way to the target, pulled out my arrows, and placed them back in my quiver, before making my way to the logs to sit. I set my bow against the log and watched the children, digging my claws into the log when Lord Sesshomaru sat beside me. “I did not mean to insult you, Kagome. I meant it as a compliment.” He said.

“No matter how you meant it, my Lord; it came out sounding like and insult.” I bit out, taking several deep breathes to control my composure. “Kagome, come play with us.” Rin called from across the clearing. “Yeah, come play with us nee-chan.” Kikyou and Inuyasha called. “Come on momma” Shippo called as well. Smiling, I stood, pulled my quiver from my back, and jogged over to them. “So, what are we playing?” I asked. “A soldier game.” Inuyasha and Shippo yelled.

At the same time, Rin and Kikyou yelled, “A hime game.” “Hmm… How about I tell you a story and then we’ll play a game afterwards. That way, maybe you call all agree on a game.” I suggested. They nodded enthusiastically and say I a rough circle under the shade of a nearby sakura tree. “Alright, I’m going to tell you a story about an on’nanoko that persevered through the worst years of her life until she could leave and make her own life. Are you all comfortable?” I asked, sitting with Shippo and Inuyasha on one side of me, and Rin and Kikyou on my other side as I leaned against the tree trunk.

At their nods, I began. “There was once an on’nanoko whose Okaa-san died shortly after her birth, leaving her Outo-san to care for her. Years later, when she was old enough to understand most of the world around her, her father decided she needed an Okaa-san; someone to teach her how to be a ‘proper lady’, and to show her how to find a suitable husband. The father married an onna who had two daughters, who were very cruel, much like their Okaa-san, to the poor girl."

"One day, when the on’nanoko’s Outo-san was leaving to trade his goods, he suddenly fell from his horse within running distance from their home. The on’nanoko ran to her Outo-san and tried to help him, but she was too late; he had dies before he reached the ground. After his funeral, the mamahaha and suteppu shimai treated the on’nanoko as lowly as a slave; and made her clean, cook, and sleep beside the fireplace every night. No matter what they did, she never let them break her spirit, and decided that when she was old enough to leave the house, she would."

"Years later, only days before it was the time she could leave them forever, the king of the land held a grand masked ball to celebrate his musuko’s return; and secretly to find him a bride. The kind demanded that all eligible ladies were to attend; and so, as it was the last time she would go anywhere in the kingdom, she decided to go. Her mamahaha and suteppu shimai scoffed at her, saying she would not fit in and that they would not be seen with her in her rags. So, after they left, she pulled her Okaa-san’s wedding kimono from where she had hidden it; cleaned herself, dressed in it, using a silver silk sash to cover her eyes and hide her identity."

"That night, she attended the ball, and unknowingly met the prince. He had seen her enter the grand hall at the last moment, and passed her suteppu shimai to meet her. Thinking that he was a normal man whom she would never see again, she accepted his offer when he asked her to dance. The king and his second in command saw how the prince reacted to her, and subtly separated them from the rest of the ball."

"Throughout the night, the two began to feel something from the other, but the on’nanoko pushed it away as best as she could. When it was time for her to return, the prince did not want her to go; so he requested that she let him walk her home. Thinking quickly, she said, ‘But I have yet to address the prince and congratulate him. I must do so before leaving.’ Just as he was about to speak to inform her of whom he was, the great clock in the tower of the castle rang twelve, and she quickly ran to the steps to make her escape."

"As she ran down the steps, her slipper fell from her foot; but as the prince was following her, she left it, pulled her other slipper off, and ran with bare feet back towards he home. The next day, as she awoke to make breakfast and take the daily royal announcements to her mamahaha, she found that she had danced with the prince all night. She hurriedly took breakfast to her mamahaha and suteppu shimai and packed away her things."

"The day had come for her to leave, and they could no longer stop her. So, as the king’s second in command came to the door, he stopped her, and told her to announce to the ladies of the house that he wished to see them. ‘I am sorry, sir. But I no longer serve the people here. You shall have to find someone else to inform them. Please release me so that I may leave.’ She told him as kindly as she possibly could. When he told her that he was to find the maiden that fit the slipper for the prince she asked to see it. ‘No. this cannot be possible.’ She said aloud."

"‘What is not possible?’ the man asked. ‘That is my slipper.’ She sighed, knowing she would be taken to the castle now. ‘That is impossible. The maiden who wore this slipper was beautiful beyond compare and captured the prince’s hear. You cannot possibly be the same maiden.’ The second in command said haughtily. ‘Unfortunately, sire, I am the maiden. You see, I have the other slipper.’ She told him, pulling it from her bag."

"The second in command saw the slipper, and immediately grabbed her arm, leading her to the coach that awaited him. The on’nanoko sighed, knowing that none would believe her without proof. She had only wanted to leave, and now she was stuck. When they reached the castle, the second in command led her to the grand ball room again, and left her standing in the middle of the room while he went to fetch the prince."

"As she remembered the previous night, she sighed and decided to walk around the room. When the prince entered, he looked towards her, and then looked completely around the room, searching for someone. ‘You, where is the maiden I danced with last night?” he demanded of her. Knowing he would not believe it was her, even though she could prove it, her heart ached as she pulled the slipper from her bag."

"‘I am the maiden you danced with last night. I know you do not believe me, and I truly wish I did not have to be here. I was planning to leave this place today. Your majesty, I am sorry I did not recognize you last night. If you wish, I shall leave the slipper with you, and be on my way. But I will be taking my kimono with me. I will not part with it.’ She told him. ‘You cannot be the maiden I danced with last night.’ The prince said simply."

"‘I am guessing you assumed I would be a ‘well-groomed, proper, lady’. I am not, nor will I ever be like them. I am, however, the maiden you danced with. I am sorry you are so closed minded, your majesty. I shall be leave now.’ She said to him, gently setting her slipper on the floor, and turning to the doors. ‘Send in the real maiden. I know she is out there.’ The prince yelled after her. At this, the on’nanoko sobbed, pain and anger at being compared to herself so horribly setting in. But she continued on her way out of the castle and made her way to the road that led out of the country."

"Days later, she was just outside the country when the prince road up to her side on his great steed. ‘Is there something else you wish to say to me your majesty?’ she asked bitterly. The prince jumped from his horse and landed in front of her on his feet. ‘Are you truly the maiden that danced with me that night?’ he asked incredulously. ‘Yes, and I wish to leave.’ She answered simply. ‘Why are you leaving?’ he asked."

"‘I will not remain where I am not wanted or treated horribly. I am going to travel the countries like my Outo-san did.’ She said, trying to make her way around him. ‘Stay with me.’ the prince requested. The on’nanoko shook her head, and continued on her way. ‘Do you not want to be queen?’ the prince asked. ‘I want nothing more than to be with people who will care about the true me. I do not wish to rule over the people of this land.’ She answered simply, again trying to go around him."

"The prince stopped her with his hands on her shoulders and stood in front of her. ‘Please? Stay. Stay and be my bride.’ He requested, very nearly making it an order. ‘I do not wish to be wed; to anyone. I will not be like my Okaa-san.’ She retorted. Suddenly, the prince got an idea, and he kneeled before the maiden that had captured his heart so completely. ‘If you will stay with me and be my bride, I promise that I will always love you for who you are, and I will never love another. You captured my heart at the ball, and I do not intend to lose you.’ He said."

"These words, which she had longed to hear her whole life, brought tears to her eyes as she gazed at him. In that moment, she knew she could not push back the feelings she harbored for him any loner, and she fell into his arms with her eyes brimmed with tears of happiness. When they returned, the entire kingdom celebrated the prince’s engagement. The mamahaha and her musumes tried to get favor from her until the day of her wedding, but she would not forgive them and garner them favor among the royal court."

"After the wedding, the prince and his bride were celebrated with another ball. And years later, they had their first child, a beautiful daughter that had the prince’s eyes and the on’nanoko’s wild blonde hair. She was celebrated by all, and the prince became the crowned king shortly after. They were truly content with their lives, and went on to have a son, and twin daughters.” I finally finished.

The children all smiled, but a scoff behind me had me turning to see Lord Sesshomaru. “Do you have a problem with my story, Lord Sesshomaru?” I asked. “A prince would not marry an onna just because of one night of dancing.” He replied. “If you do not like the story, the forget it. It was a children’s story. It was not for you to enjoy.” I retorted, gritting my teeth against the glare I wanted to give him. “I think it was wonderful, Fluffy. It’s a wonderful story, Kagome. Fluffy just doesn’t like it because the prince asked and didn’t tell her.” Rin said, smiling lightly.

 I couldn’t help it; I let out a chuckle at her statement. Lord Sesshomaru sent me a seemingly playful glare as I stood. My brows drew together in confusion before turning to the children with a smile. “It is time to go Rin.” Lord Sesshomaru said. Rin frowned at him as she stood, and looked fit to argue. “Why are we leaving?” she asked. “We must return for lunch. We will come back.” he told her, causing her to smile again. She nodded and the two left shortly after she stood.

“Well, we should probably go home for lunch too. We’ll come back to meet them after we eat.” I promised as I went to my bow and quiver and put them on my back.

As we entered the house, I smelled stew and bread. “We’re back momma.” I called into the kitchen. I set my bow and quiver against the wall by the door and walked into the main room to see Kouga, Sango, and Miroku. “Hey Kouga-kun. Hi Sango. Miroku.” I said, as I hugged Kouga and then Sango. “Did you finish putting my shop back to rights, Miroku?” I asked.

At his nod, I smiled and gave him a light hug. “Good, I didn’t want to have to beat some sense into you. It would literally hurt me too much.” I said. I felt a tremor go through him and chuckled. Four years after I had met him and I still scared him when I was angry; and I was going to keep it that way.

“Don’t stress your wrists, Kagome.” Kouga-kun remarked, smiling lightly. I stuck my tongue out to him and sat beside Sango across from him. The children went to the table and we followed them as momma brought out the food. “Momma, tonight I will cook.” I told her. “No, Kagome. You can offer to cook when your wrists are healed.” She decided, not allowing me to argue.

I huffed but conceded. It would be horribly excruciating to cook with the difficulty my injuries were already giving me. “Alright.” I nodded, not really in the mood to argue with her when I knew she would win, especially since the others seemed to agree with her. “Now, let’s all eat up. Don’t want it to go cold.” Sango claimed, breaking the strange silence that had fallen over us.

Dishing up the food, we all ate in a more comfortable silence than before. I was forced to eat slowly, otherwise my wrists would flare with pain and I would drop the spoon into the bowl. “I’m done.” Kikyou claimed. “Me too.” Inuyasha declared. “I am as well, momma.” Shippo told me. “Alright, go put your dishes into the bucket in the kitchen with Inuyasha and Kikyou’s. You can play in front of the house until we leave.” I replied, placing the kiss on his forehead.

After the others had eaten, they sat and talked while momma did the dishes and I continued to slowly eat my lunch. Suddenly, I heard the hime’s squeal and started. Then, I heard the dreaded voice of Lord Sesshomaru at the door. “Kagome.” He called. “I’ll be out in a moment, my Lord.” I retorted, picking up my bowl with the spoon as I stood and shuffled to the door. I sighed as I saw the children already playing, and him standing beside a nearby sakura tree.

Slowly, only prolonging my pain, I walked under the shade of the tree and sat to watch the children while I ate. When the boys started playing a little rougher than the girls looked like they could handle I intervened. “Boys be a little more gentle.” I called.

Finally, I could try to finish eating. I stiffened slightly when Lord Sesshomaru sat beside me, but I brushed it off and began slowly eating my stew again. “Are your wrists bothering you?” he suddenly asked. “Not as long as I eat slowly.” I answered simply. “I will help you then.” He decided. “How do you propose to help me, my Lord; unless you were to feed me by your own hand, there is not really anything you can do.” I joked, I didn’t want to be fed like a baby, and I highly doubted Lord Sesshomaru would stoop so low as to actually offer to feed a commoner.

Without a thought to the joke I had made, I began to eat again. A moment later, my bowl and spoon were snatched from my hands and a whimper just barely escaped me. “Why did you take my food?” I pouted at him. I was too tired and in too much pain to care that I was being childish; I just wanted to try to finish my lunch. “I will feed you.” He offered. “There’s no need for that, my Lord. I was joking about you feeing me. I can feed myself.” I argued, trying to reach for my bowl. “Do not argue, Kagome.” He asserted, keeping it just out of my reach.

I sighed and nodded, reluctantly assenting. Finally, I could truly eat. It was embarrassing, but I had eaten more from him feeding me in a few minutes, than I had since my Okaa-san had put the food in front of me nearly an hour and a half ago. I couldn’t look him in the eyes; when he didn’t have the spoon hear my face I had my eyes turned to the children, trying to keep from blushing. When the stew was almost gone, I had to hold back a sigh of disappointment.

 Where did that come from? I hate being fed and treated like a child; yet when he’s about to stop feeding me, I’m upset? My thoughts haunted me. And then… Miroku and Sango stepped outside the house and I saw the nearly hidden smirk on Miroku’s face. “Kagome, I don’t believe I have ever seen you allow someone to feed you. Why the sudden change of heart?” he asked, barely hiding the insinuation.

Blushing so horribly that I matched the cherries above me, I stood and snapped a long switch from the branch above me. Methodically, I stalked towards him with the switch in my hands. A look from Sango as she reached into the doorway stopped me in my tracks as I watched her. She pulled the weapon I had kept for her in my shop from inside the house and I smiled I grim satisfaction as she lifted it above her head and aimed it at Miroku’s vulnerable skull.

All too late Miroku realized that something was going on behind him, and just as he was about to turn to see what I was smiling at, Sango brought the weapon down. My smile grew wider; the giant youkai bone boomerang didn’t have enough force behind it to seriously injure or kill Miroku, but it had enough to know him out for a while. “Thank you, Sango.” I said softly.

She nodded, smiled, and began dragging Miroku into the house. Quietly, I sat down beside Lord Sesshomaru again, and watched the children. Before I could get comfortable, momma and Kouga-kun came outside were making their way to the tree line. “We’ll be back soon, Kagome; we’re going for a walk.” My mother called over her shoulder.

“Alright, momma.” I called back. It was so easy to see how much they belonged together. But they both still felt the other didn’t feel the same. “One of these days I am going to lock them in the house and force them to admit their feelings.” I muttered. Lord Sesshomaru gave me a confused look and it was too amusing to pass up. I outright laughed at the confusion flitting across his visage.

 “What is so funny?” he demanded, almost seeming to pout at my laughter. “Your confusion; I have never truly seen an emotion on your face before. It is nice to know that you are still somewhat like the rest of us.” I answered truthfully. When his mask fell back into place; my laughter died immediately. “I apologize, my Lord. Excuse me a moment.” I mumbled, grabbing the empty bowl and escaping to the house.

I walked into the kitchen slowly and hung my head. Why did I say that to him? Why did it upset me when his mask returned? What is wrong with me?! With these thoughts running through my mind, I went into my bedroom, changed into some more comfortable clothing, and then went back outside. I sat as far as I could from Lord Sesshomaru without being too obvious about my discomfort and watched the children.

Moments later, Lord Sesshomaru moved closer to me, and I felt every muscle in my body coil. “Where did you hear the story you told the children?” he asked. “When I was younger, we were staying in the eastern kingdom, visiting Lord Kouga, and I was permitted to go into his library. His tutors educated me like they had him, by his request. It was one of my favorite stories and it still is. He gave me a copy before we left, that he had re-written by hand for me, and I still stay up late and read it if I’m at the shop overnight. When I was little and they had first read it to me, it inspired me.” I answered, slowly willing myself to relax. “How did it inspire you?” he asked. “It inspired me to be myself and not care what others say about me unless I know that I can trust them and know that they accept me for who I am. And to not fall blindly into something; to always know as much as I can about what is going on around me. Speaking of which: Kikyou, Inuyasha, don’t even think about convincing Shippo and Rin to sneak off to the river to swim; I am not going to chase away the fish like last time and not be able to fish for days again. It took three days for the fish to come back last time.” I called out to them.

I had caught conspiratorial look the four had shared, and I knew exactly what they were thinking. Kikyou and Rin pouted while Inuyasha and Shippo hung their heads in slight shame at being caught. They were all too adorable to stay mad at. I slightly lifted my arms and they all shuffled over and hugged me. I squeezed then let go.

“If you want to swim, I will find somewhere for you to swim; but not near the house and not for a couple of days. Alright?” I asked. They nodded and agreed, albeit reluctantly, but they didn’t send me looks of an impending argument. “You should play while you can. We will be going to the peace ball next week and will be gone for the duration of the festival.” Lord Sesshomaru remarked. My brows rose in surprise before I regained my composure.

The children went back to playing and Lord Sesshomaru decided to question me further. “I still am curious as to why you would wish to be educated like a Lord or Lady.” He said. “Is it so horrible that I do not wish to be uneducated?” I asked, offended. “No. You, however have been educated as a man and that is not done.” He replied. “Well, excuse me, my Lord. Lord Kouga wanted me to be able to understand when he was talking to me. I appreciate not being treated like a baka in his presence because I was educated.” I bit out, standing and walking into the forest.

I needed a moment to calm down before I said something I would regret to him. Unfortunately, he followed me. “Kagome.” He called. I just kept walking. I was furious. How dare he insult me and how I was educated simply because I was just as smart as he was and I was a woman?! “Kagome!” he called again, angrily grabbing my wrist and spinning me around to face him. “Release me!” I yelled. His claws were starting to dig through the bandages into my wounds.

“You will not walk away from me, onna!” he shouted in my face. I flinched; raised voices were not kind to hanyou ears. “I do not belong to you! Let go!” I yelled again as I ripped my hand away and stormed deeper into the forest. I knew he would continue to follow me. But I wanted to keep this away from the children. Suddenly, I broke through the tree line and saw my Okaa-san and Kouga-kun hugging each other close.

“Oh, hi momma; hi Kouga-kun.” I said, starting to blush as I smiled at them sheepishly. “Kagome, where are the children?” my Okaa-san asked after breaking her embrace with Kouga. “They’re in front of the house. Sango and Miroku are there; I didn’t leave them without watchful eyes. Lord Sesshomaru and I could not continue our conversation around them.” I ground out, trying to keep my calm.

Kouga was sure to challenge Lord Sesshomaru if he saw how angry I was and how much pain I was in. I nodded, to them, and then cut through the small clearing to the path that led to the river. Lord Sesshomaru followed closely behind me and once I stopped at the edge of the river bank he nearly bumped into me and sent us both in the water.

“Why are you upset?” he asked. I drew in several deep breaths before I felt in control enough to speak. “I am upset because you have, yet again, insulted me. And again, you have dug your claws into my wrists! I do not appreciate being treated as a baka or an object to control.” I spat out. “I did not mean to insult you.” He said quietly. I growled lowly, glaring at the running water and wishing I could be a part of it.

“Do not growl at me.” he ordered. “I growl when I see fit. I merely wish I could be a part of the water. It can so easily give or take life. It is never to be controlled. It always does as it sees fit. It is…. Free.” I whispered. “Are you not free?” he questioned. I sighed; of course this conversation would swerve to my dreams.

“Not as I wish to be. I can only go so far from my home. I can only create so much. I can only…. Open up to anyone outside my family so far… until I have to leave and protect my own heart.” I replied. He put his hands on my shoulders and spun me to slowly face him again. His mask had fallen again. “Lord Sesshomaru… are you alright?” I asked, barely lifting my hand.

Quickly I caught myself as his eyes hardened and I spun to face the river again. “I apologize, Lord Sesshomaru. I did not mean to pry.” I muttered, beginning to make my way back to the house. Again, he caught my wrist and I had to stop to keep from gasping in pain. “You may call me Sesshomaru, Kagome.” He suddenly said. “I- uh- huh?” I asked.

I was dumb struck. Rin was allowing me to forgo her title was one thing but him, being who he is; doing the same was something else entirely. “You may call m Sesshomaru. I know you will not abuse the privilege.” He intoned. “Thank you. It is an honor.” I stammered. He smiled; a real smile, not a simple lift of the corner of his lips; and my heart skipped a beat.

“You should smile more often. It is endearing.” I said. At this he smiled wider and I had to let my own smile show. Before I could pull my wrist from his grip, he began walking back towards my home and dragging me behind him. I had to jog to keep up with his stride but thankfully he dropped my wrist just before we broke the tree line.

We made our way to the cherry tree and just as I was about to sit down, all four of the children jumped on me; and I fell on my back with them hugging me. “Oomph.” I sounded. I was being hugged at random spots along my body by four wild children. “Can I get up and hug you all back?” I asked.

They laughed but got up one by one until I could right myself. When I was kneeling in front of them, I opened my arms to them. “Where did you go?” Rin asked. “I went to the river.” I answered. “Why do you smell sad?” Inuyasha asked. “Just old memories Inuyasha. Nothing to worry about; I promise.” I affirmed.

He accepted my answer and they all went back to playing. I smiled at their backs; they were such treasures. I wished to be able to enjoy this more often. “Your wounds have opened.” Lord Sesshomaru claimed, taking a sniff of the air. I sighed and stood slowly. “Kouga-kun is going to put me over his knee and tan my backside like a child.” I muttered to myself.

Suddenly, Lord Sesshomaru zoomed past me into my house, and before I could wonder what he was doing; he was in front of me with clean bandages. “What did you get them for?” I asked. “I will tend to your wrists.” He said simply. “There’s no need.” I tried to argue.

“You cannot wrap them yourself and I will not see Lord Kouga put you over his knee as if you were a child.” He asserted quietly. I blushed at that; I hadn’t meant to say that aloud. I nodded and sat right in front of him under the tree. He moved closer still and put my wrists on his knee. I hissed when he pulled the bandages off my wrists after slicing them open.

“I apologize again for causing you pain.” He said. I nodded and watched as he lifted y right hand off of his lap. He lifted my hand to his face and proceeded to lick my wrist. “Ouch. What are you doing?” I asked, panicking. “My saliva will pull the left over poison out of your wrist and allow it to heal fully. If I do not do this; there will be complications when it is done healing.” He answered seriously.

With that, I turned my head away. I couldn’t watch him lick my wrist. It was embarrassing enough already. I was glad that Miroku and Sango had seemed to have gone to the market. I did not want to have to beat Miroku with a sakura switch for comments I knew he would make if he’d seen me. After he finished with my right hand, he wrapped it and proceeded to repeat the process with my left hand. I barely caught a snippet of something Rin said and knew that he hadn’t been able to hear her.

Thankfully, because now I was blushing like mad. She had said, “He’s never taken care of anyone but me like that before. He must want to show his feelings.” “What are you embarrassed about?” he asked. “Nothing.” I said quietly. He let it drop, thankfully, because I did not want to talk about it. Finally, he wrapped my left hand and I could put them in my lap. I stared down at my lap for a moment before lifting my head to watch the children play.

               It was nearly sun set when Sesshomaru and Rin were getting ready to leave. “Good bye, Rin. It was wonderful to see you today. You should have Sesshomaru bring you again tomorrow.” I said. Since he had adamantly refused to allow me to continue to use his title; I decided I would actually take the partial order. She gasped, then smiled and hugged me. “Good bye, Sesshomaru. Please, do bring her tomorrow. If you would like, I will even tell you about when I was being taught by Kouga-kun’s tutors.” I offered, smiling up at him.

                He nodded, picked up a yawning Rin, and began the trek back to his palace. After I felt his aura move away from my own, I took the children inside and began to cook dinner. Miroku and Sango had returned with fresh meat and vegetables a little before and I knew momma and Kouga were just outside the house now. When they finally stepped inside the house, momma rushed over to me and began to pull me away from the food.

               “Momma, I fell much better. My wrists will be clear of any blemish in the morning.” I told her. “How? They were barely bearable this morning.” She argued. “Se- Lord Sesshomaru took a look at them earlier. He fixed them for me.” I answered, almost slipping up with the title. I was beginning to grow far too comfortable with not saying his title. “Kagome; what has gotten into you?” my Okaa-san asked.

                “What are you talking about momma?” I questioned. “You look as if you have fallen in love.” She said simply. A blush started to spread across my cheeks and I turned back to the food. Have I fallen in love with Sesshomaru? It shouldn’t be possible. But in a few days I’ve been speaking with him; I know I would protect him as I would protect my family and my friends. But it’s more than that. it hurts me when his mask falls back into place. My heart skips a beat whenever he smiles at me; and it skipped a beat when he was caring for my wrists. Could I have really fallen in love?  

                My thoughts should have scared me. Fallen in love was dangerous; especially for me. Yet, it didn’t scare me. It made me feel warm and complete. I could only hop he felt the same way. “I think I have.” I told her. “Have you lost your mine?!” my Okaa-san yelled. “What are you thinking?!” Sango asked. “She’s not thinking. She’s gone mad!” Kouga yelled.

                Their words nearly brought tears to my eyes. “It is not as if I wanted to fall in love with him! I cannot help it!” I defended. “I did not save you from him when you were a koneko only for you to die fifty years later!” my Okaa-san yelled angrily. At this, I nearly broke out in tears. “Then perhaps you should have let me die as a koneko!” I shouted back.

                 With that, I pushed past her, out the house, and ran to the river. My Okaa-san had never said anything like that to me before. I felt betrayed. How could she have said that to me?! I had always worried if she was truly my mother. She was an inu and I was a neko! How had I been so stupid all these years?! How had she tricked me into believing that I was some strand child of hers?

                  She had never been pregnant before Kikyou and Inuyasha and yet somehow she had me?! I was so stupid. I fell to my knees on the bank and watched the water. I refused to cry. My tears hadn’t fallen since the day after Kikyou and Inuyasha’s birth and they were not about to fall now. I would not allow it to poison my heart.

                  She was still my Okaa-san; no matter that she had hurt me. She had cared for me my whole life and I loved her. I just needed time to myself. I continued to watch the water and the creatures within it. They were blissfully unaware of the troubles of life outside the running waters. I stayed there for hours, simply staring into the water and remembering moments when my Okaa-san and I would simply relax or play in the water. Or times such as when she had Kikyou and Inuyasha or when I first met Kouga. Finally, I simply lie on my side and fell asleep.

End Notes:
Hope you liked this chapter. See ya.
Chapter 15 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
Here we are. This is one of my favorite chapters and even though I love it as a whole there are a few that stand out to even me.

I woke when the sun rose, and began gathering wood for a small fire. When it was set and lit, I leapt to a small rock in the middle of the river and crouched to watch the fish. A few minutes later, I plucked two fish from the water and jumped back to my spot on the bank. I cooked the fish slowly over the fire and ate just as slowly. I was ready to go home, but that didn’t mean I was in a rush to face my ‘Okaa-san’, my family, and my friends.

After eating, I spent an hour or so switching from watching the fire to watching the water flow in the river. My mind was blissfully blank and I was enjoying not having to worry constantly. Finally, when the sun was high above me, I decided it was time to return home. I put the fire out, buried the bones of the fish that had been my meal, and left. I spent half an hour making my way to the house. When I returned, Sesshomaru was outside under the sakura tree watching the children play.

That’s strange. Without giving it anymore thought, I stepped inside the house and searched for my ‘Okaa-san’. “Momma, we need to talk.” I told her as I stepped into her bedroom. “I am so sorry, Kagome. I never meant to hurt you.” She said frantically. “I know momma. I love you but… I want to tell him about me tonight.” I whispered so he wouldn’t hear us outside. “I understand.” She replied.

“Momma, what did you mean when you said you saved me?” I asked. “I guess I should tell you what really happened… I never meant for you to find out like this; but it’s time you know the truth.” My Okaa-san said as she waited for me to sit. Once I sat down, she turned joyless grey eyes to me.

“It was fifty years ago when I found you. You were only a few days old, hidden underneath a bush. I knew the moment I saw you why your mother had abandoned you; you were a hanyou, like me. I knew I couldn’t leave you there alone; the youkai would sniff you out and devour you if I did. Lord Sesshomaru was among them, hunting, and at that time he would have killed you immediately. That’s why I never wanted you to meet him.” She said.

“But he’s stopped talking about wanting to hunt them. He seems to want to stop hunting them.” I remarked. “It took him one hundred and fifty years to stop hunting hanyou. He told us this morning that hanyou were no longer going to be hunted. He knows you now. And now you know the truth. Be safe when you tell him how you escaped when you were a koneko.” She finished, on the verge of tears that I could have smelled from a mile away.

I stood and before I exited the door to leave and find Lord Sesshomaru I said, “My ningen Okaa-san is not my true Okaa-san. My true Okaa-san will always be you, because you could have easily left me to die as well.” When I went outside, the children were still playing and Lord Sesshomaru was still watching them. “Hello Sesshomaru.” I said softly, sitting beside him.

“You were not here this morning.” He said, a little coldly. “I left last night. There was something that I had to think through and I needed to be alone. I was there until late this morning.” I explained, hoping for him to understand. He simply nodded and continued watching the children. “I am sorry, Sesshomaru. Was there something you needed me here for?” I questioned.

He opened his mouth to say something but he slightly shook his head and closed it. I watched him for a few moments before sighing and leaning back against the tree. “Tell me about when Lord Kouga’s tutors were teaching you to read.” He muttered. I closed my eyes and recalled all those years ago before I spoke.

“I was ten years old. Kouga-kun and my Okaa-san had gone out for a stroll after he told his tutors to teach me like they had him. At first, they made me feel awful for not being taught before; but after I threatened to tell him how they treated me, they straightened up their act and began my lessons. When they began teaching me how to read I demanded that they teach me the story I told the children. Then they taught me how to write, and I began to rewrite the story. I was ‘efficiently excellent’."

"But when I started writing down my thoughts I became ‘wonderfully, beautifully, gifted’; but I still wonder if they only said that so I wouldn’t give my writings to Kouga-kun. They taught me how to properly handle myself around the court’s ladies and lords. Then they taught me math, the kingdoms’ histories, art, and music. Every day, for a lunar cycle, they taught me while Kouga-kun and momma strolled through the gardens when we came back here, I learned from Totosai how to work with metal and I opened the shop.” I told him.

He seemed shocked that I had learned so much in so little time; but I let it slide, knowing that he and Kouga had been taught for years the same material that I had. We watched the children play for a while longer before I heard my Okaa-san cry out happily and then saw her run towards me from the house. “Momma what is it?” I asked. “Kouga and I are to be married and mated!” my Okaa-san shouted ecstatically.

 I smiled, jumped from my spot under the tree, and hugged her tightly. “I’m so happy for you momma! It’s about time! You two have been like this for over forty years! Where is Kouga-kun? I have to hug him!” I yelled, already letting her go and running to meet him at the door of the house. I threw myself into his arms and squeezed as tight as I could before letting go and smiling up at him. “Finally!” I declared.

He smiled, nodded, and gave me a good squeeze before releasing me. “So, can I call you Otou-san now?” I asked. “You can, but I would never make you.” He replied. I smiled again before backing up allowing my Okaa-san to make her way to him. I had never seen her so happy before. “Are we going to live in the east with you now?” Kikyou asked from where she was with the others.

“Yes, we are Kikyou.” My Okaa-san called. “You realize that you’re going to have to send someone for the things in my shop? I am not leaving everything here. And don’t even think about telling me to stop working. I will work in the east.” I declared, daring Kouga with my eyes to tell me otherwise. His shoulders slumped in defeat and I smirked.

“It seems she truly has you wrapped around her finger now, Lord Kouga.” Sesshomaru commented from a foot behind me. I nearly jumped out of my skin at how close he was. I was so used to his aura by now that I hadn’t noticed how little space there was between us. Kouga sent him a smile and a mock glare before releasing a laugh.

“Yes, and I have no doubt that Kikyou will have me wrapped around her finger, too. They were already like daughters to me but now I will adopt them formally.” He retorted. I groaned. “Oh no…. that means I’ll be a hime.” I pouted. “Yes, you will be. And you’d better get used to it.” Kouga asserted.

“Fine. But don’t think that just because I’m a hime I’ll act like one and let you find a suitor to mate me off to. I refuse to be some baka’s way to get in good with the Lord of the east.” I bit out. With that, I spun on my heel and marched back to the sakura tree.

I sat with a huff and pushed my back roughly against the trunk before I turned my eyes to the children. I loved Kouga like a friend and an Otou-san, and I was happy that he and my Okaa-san had finally told each other about their feelings; but if he tried to use his status as my adopted father to push a man on me then I would be very ‘cross’.

 Sesshomaru sat beside me and the children went back to playing. When Sango and Miroku returned; my Okaa-san told him and they congratulated her and Kouga. Kouga even offered for them to come to the eastern castle with us for a while.

Everyone was extremely quiet and then I barely heard my mother start to pack everything in the house and move it to a wagon on the side of the house. I knew I wanted to tell Sesshomaru the truth, and that we would be leaving soon, but I couldn’t bring myself to figure out when to tell him.

An hour before sunset, Sesshomaru took Rin home and I took the children inside to make sure everything was packed. When everything was packed into the wagon, I strapped my weapons on the side and suddenly felt Sesshomaru’s aura starting to crash against my own in gentle waves.

Why is he coming back? I stood where I knew he would exit the tree line from and waited. Before he could step into the clearing that housed my home, I grabbed onto the sleeve of his shirt and dragged him to the river. “Why are we here?” he asked.

I was suddenly very nervous. What if he hated me for what I was about to say? What if he hated me for being myself and not telling him? What if- what if he tried to kill me? “I have something to tell you, Lord Sesshomaru.” My voce strained from my nervousness.

I was about to admit to him that I was a hanyou and I truly feared he would hate me. “Kagome I asked you to call me Sesshomaru; now what is it that you have to tell me?” he asked. The sincerity in his voice was almost my breaking point, but I pushed through.

“Please do not hate me for what I am about to say: I have not been entirely honest with you. I am a hanyou. I wanted to tell you; but I couldn’t. I had to protect my family.” I said. “Defending the half-breeds before, it was a lie?” he questioned. I could see his eyes becoming distant, cold. “No, I didn’t” – “When you spoke with my sister, did you tell her lies about the possible kindness of half-lings too?!” he shouted.

I had to force myself not to back away in fear when he towered above me. “I never lied to your nee-chan. I only told you because you deserved to know. It doesn’t matter if you hate me now anyway. I am leaving with my family to move to the eastern castle with Kouga! I did what I came to do!"

"I am sorry you feel I am a half-ling or a stain on the youkai society or a blemish in the youkai world! Goodbye, Lord Sesshomaru!” with that I escaped. I had never been happier for hanyou speed than when I had to escape the man I loved. I ran quickly to my home and jumped on the wagon. “We must leave! Now!” I shouted, grabbing my bow, quiver, and sword.

The children jumped on the wagon as I jumped off and Sango and Miroku sat with them. Momma, Kouga, and I ran and pulled the wagon behind us. We ran until long after we reached the border of the eastern and western kingdoms.

Finally, we stopped near a small pond and rested for the night. The children, Sango, and Miroku had fallen asleep a while before hand. I sat with my back against a tree and rested lightly while guarding over my family and friends.

End Notes:
So... please review and tell me what you think of the little yelling and angsty scene between Sesshomaru and Kagome. Also, yes, I did put Kaede and Kouga together. Don't ask why, becuase honestly it came to me on a whim. Hope you liked it. See ya when I see ya.
Chapter 16 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:

And so the beginning of Princess Kagome begins. So much will be stemming from this chapter so pay attention.

The next morning, I plucked plenty of fish from the pond, cooked them, and everyone ate. I watched them silently and when everyone had finished eating I set the children on the wagon and we set out again. “Kagome, what happened?” my Okaa-san asked.

I shook my head and continued dragging the wagon behind me. “Kagome answer your Okaa-san.” Kouga ordered me. “No! I learned my lesson; now let me be! I do not wish to speak of it!” I yelled. I was angry and hurt, and I didn’t want them to give me a more difficult time for my idiocy in falling for him. I continued to look straight ahead and pull the wagon behind me.

When we reached the castle, the wagon was taken to the front and our things were carried inside by some guards that I used to train with. “Hey guys.” I said, forcing a smile to my face. They smiled back at me and carried everything inside behind Kouga. Kouga led us to the family wing of the castle and began to show us to rooms he wanted to give us.

Momma, obviously, moved into his room. Kikyou was down two doors and across the hall from there. Inuyasha was in a room beside Kikyou. Shippo was in the room next to Inuyasha. I was put in the room that connected with Shippo’s. Miroku and Sango were put into the room beside mine. I smiled at Myouga and Bankotsu as they carried my things into the room and set them beside the bed.

“Make sure you don’t forget to let us know if you want to train later, Kagome.” Bankotsu smiled at me. “I will. Thank you, Bankotsu. I could use the exercise.” I smiled at him, barely having to force it this time. I began to organize my clothes in the closet; then rested my bow, quiver, and sword against the overly-large bed before I collapsed on top of it.

Tears gathered in my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. I would not cry. I had said my piece. He was the one with the problem. He was the one who couldn’t love me. I was the one who had fallen in love with him, knowing that he hated people like me and had killed many like me. I had been a fool; and now I was paying the price.

I sighed, knowing that soon someone would come looking for me, and left my new room. “Sango, would you like to come with me to the dojo. I’m meeting Myouga and Bankotsu there to spar and I was wondering if you’d like to team up with me against them.” I called through the door.

Miroku, I knew, had left for the library while I was organizing the room. When she exited the room in her tajiya clothes I knew that she agreed. I smiled, barely forcing myself, looped my arm through hers, and led her to the dojo.

When we arrived, I found Myouga and Bankotsu stretching and smiled completely. “You two ready to be beat to a pulp?” I called over. “You wish.” Bankotsu postured. “You weren’t able to beat me when I was ten. You most definitely won’t be able to beat me now. We’re sparing in teams. Sango and I against you and Myouga.” I replied, smiling when they stiffened.

“Don’t worry. We won’t beat you too badly.” Sango shouted, smiling. I smiled at her and we stretched shortly before meeting the two in the middle of the room. Myouga and Sango moved off to the side of the mat while Bankotsu and I bowed and moved into positions. At first we barely glanced blows off of shoulders or arms, but after a while we began to make contact and it became a little more intense.

Then, I tackled him to the floor. Within a second, he flipped us over and pinned me to the mat. He moved my hands above my head and held them there with one of his. This far too much resembled my sparring match with Sesshomaru and I screamed before roughly pushing him off of me and jumping to my feet.

I quickly ran to the other side of the dojo and forced my back against the wall; trying to remember how to breathe properly. “Kagome, are you alright?” I heard Sango call. “Too much like Se- Ses- Sesshomaru… too much like…. Like when I sparred with him. I don’t want to remember.” I whispered when she was kneeling in front of me.

 “It’s going to be alright. Let’s go find your Okaa-san and Lord Kouga.” She suggested. I nodded numbly and let her pull me to my feet. Myouga and Bankotsu followed silently behind us as we made our way through the maze like halls to the great hall where everyone seemed to be gathering.

Kouga had us stand behind and to the right of him and momma as he called silence in the hall. “I have three announcements. One: the kingdom is now hanyou friendly. We will house any hanyou that wishes to live here and they will be allowed to show their blood status freely without being judged or exiled to China. They will not be executed because of their half ningen and half youkai blood. Two: I am to be married soon. My bride is here beside me; Kaede. And finally, third: I am adopting her children as my own. You will have two hime: Kikyou and Kagome; and an oji: Inuyasha.” He called out.

I gasped; I hadn’t expected him to announce that to the kingdom. But after he said that the kingdom would be hanyou friendly, I had an idea. I pulled my bracelet from my wrist and stood tall as the gasps from the crowd registered in my now visible, ebony neko ears.

 “My name is Kagome. It would be my honor to be a hime of this great country. I hope to know many of you in the future.” I spoke aloud. Kikyou pulled her bracelet off and repeated my small speech, then stepped back beside me. Inuyasha and Momma did the same, and we stood proudly behind Kouga.

We stood there for a few moments before Kouga called for the gathering to disperse. When he turned back to me, he was smiling, although I could see he was worried in his eyes. “Kagome, I thought you were sparring with Myouga and Bankotsu.” He said.

“I was… but then…” I let my voice trail off and fell silent, before staring down at my feet. “She was reminded of when she sparred with…. him. She’s been like this since.” Sango told him quietly. “Thank you, Sango. Take her to her room.” He suggested. She agreed, looped her arm in mine, and then pulled me towards my room.

When we entered, I collapsed on my bed and buried my face in the multitude of pillows. I breathed in deeply and allowed my body to relax slightly. “Kagome, will you tell me what happened?” she requested quietly. I sighed, sat up, and sat back against the headboard of the bed before speaking.

“He accused me of lying to Rin. He called us ‘half-lings’. He was so angry with me. He- he hates me. I love him and he hates me. He probably wants to kill me. I am a fool in love with someone who hates me so much he wishes to kill me.” I whispered out. Sango hugged me from my side and I leaned into her.

“I was so stupid.” “You are not stupid.” She retorted. I didn’t argue with her. I didn’t have the strength. “I think I’m going to sleep now.” I said quietly. She nodded and left the room silently I lay on the bed for only a few minutes before I fell into a restless sleep.

When I woke, I found that Kouga had officially adopted Kikyou and Inuyasha. When I went into the great hall in a kimono I had found lying at the foot of my bed, I found everyone dressed up and Shippo standing near the thrones with Kouga. “What is going on?” I asked. “Kagome, do you take responsibility for Shippo as your own? Do you wish to care for him as a mother would her son?” he asked.

I was dumb founded. “Y- Yes. I accept him as my own.” I said clearly. “It is my pleasure to announce Shippo as the son of Kagome, hime of the eastern kingdom.” He said proudly. I smiled brightly at him and hugged Shippo tightly to my side. I placed a soft kiss on his head then hugged Kouga.

“Thank you… Outo-san.” I whispered. I had never had a dad. The word just rolled out of me. He hugged my back then had me move in front of him. “I, Kouga, Lord of the eastern kingdom; take responsibility for you, Kagome, as a father would his daughter.” He muttered. A few tears came to my eyes, but I quickly wiped them away and smiled.

I hugged momma, Kikyou, and Inuyasha before pulling Shippo into another hug. “My sweet musuko.” I whispered. “I love you momma.” he said in my ear. “I love you too, Shippo. Come on, let’s get you to bed. Tomorrow morning you are going to start being educated like I was.” I told him. “Kikyou and Inuyasha are as well. They’ll have the same tutors you did Kagome.” Kouga told me.

“No! Not those two! They were horrible!” I shouted. “What are you talking about? They taught you well.” Momma argued. “Yes, they taught me well. But they were horrible to me. The only reason I didn’t tell you then was because they stopped any time you were around or whenever I threatened to tell you.” I confessed.

“Alright. I’ll find new tutors for them. They’ll start tomorrow afternoon. In the morning everyone will be getting kimonos and suits for the wedding. We will be marrying at noon tomorrow.” He informed me. I smiled, but it fell quickly. “Do I have to wear a kimono?” I asked. “Yes, but if you want, you can make a few modifications to it.” Momma told me.

I smiled again, picked Shippo up, and placed him on my hip. “Time for bed you.” I declared, making my way to the family wing. I got Shippo ready for bed, kissed his forehead, and then went into my own room. After getting ready for bed, I climbed under the covers and forced myself to relax. Within moments, I fell into a peace-less sleep.

End Notes:
So you know Myouga is naturally a tiny flea... but he's about as tall as Bankotsu for this story. And Banksotsu is not a bad guy or a mercenary.
Chapter 17 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
Hope you like the colors I chose. I didn't spend a lot of time on the wedding, but I'll be spending more time on the events after it. All I can say is: I'm not finsihed with typing the original copy on my computer but this chapter ends on page 32 of 53.

When I woke the next morning, I was rushed into clothes that were easy to change out of and into my mother’s room with Kikyou and Sango. We were measured and fitted for kimonos while momma was measured and fitted for her wedding kimono.

I made a few modifications to mine and Sango’s kimonos. I made it to where there was a pair of pants instead and before we were seen all we had to do was attach the long cloth that wrapped around our waists to make it look like we were wearing elaborate kimonos. That way when we had to dance after the ceremony, we would have the freedom to move properly.

I made the same adjustments to Kikyou’s kimono and then momma’s kimono after she asked me to. “Thank you, Kagome.” Momma said to me. “It was my pleasure momma. I’m happy for you and papa. I’ve been waiting for him to ask you to be his mate for so long that I can remember dreaming of it when I was ten.” I told her, smiling softly.

 She kissed my cheek and sent me to check on the boys. I took one more look around the room before I left. Momma was wearing white, obviously; Sango was wearing green and pink; Kikyou was wearing a light blue; and I was wearing an amber color. I had chosen the color because it reminded me of Sesshomaru’s eyes. Now, I almost regretted choosing the color; but it was too late to make it with a different color and I was going to push through any pain it caused me.

I made my way to Inuyasha’s bedroom to find the boys and papa. “Are you ready?” I asked. Kouga was wearing black; Inuyasha was wearing a red suit Miroku was wearing a dark purple suit; and Shippo was wearing a dark blue suit. I smiled at them. They looked so handsome today. “Yes. Meet us in the great hall in ten minutes.” Kouga told me. I nodded and left the room.

When I made it to momma’s room, I smelled her nervousness. “You look beautiful momma. Papa loves you and has been waiting for this day as long as you have. He’s waiting for you.” I said, looping my arm in hers and pulling her towards the great hall. She smiled at me and nodded, calming slightly. We stood outside the doors to the great hall and I signaled to Kouga that we were ready.

He called silence in the room and the music began. Sango went out first, accompanies by Miroku. Inuyasha and Kikyou went out next, tossing flowers on the floor. Shippo and I stepped forward and made our way down the middle, carrying the rings. Momma was a few steps behind me. The ceremony went smoothly.

Myouga and Bankotsu were needed to stop a disturbance once; because some silly minor lord’s musume wanted to be married to Kouga. She was put in her place quickly and without fuss. Momma didn’t even know it had happened; and she would never find out. The ceremony was beautiful, and it very nearly brought tears to my eyes.

When the ceremony was over; the music began again, and momma and Kouga had their first dance. I stood to the side, leaning against a wall as I watched the couples there dance. I was asked to dance by many minor lords and their sons but I never accepted. I refused to dance with these pompous fools who only wish to dance with me to be seen by my papa.

Unfortunately, one of the fools ignored my answer and pulled me to the dance floor anyway. He put one hand at my waist and the other at my back. I place my left hand on his arm and my right hand on his shoulder. “Release me or I will cause you harm.” I ordered. He simply smiled at me and pulled me closer. “If you do not release me, I will harm you. And then I will allow Bankotsu to have his time dealing with you.” I told him.

His smile grew wider and he pulled me flush against him. I growled and dug my claws into his shoulder and arm, making sure to dig them in slowly and very painfully. He winced, but refused to let me go. A quick look around the room and I had spotted Bankotsu across the room. I narrowed my eyes at him and he quickly began to make his way over to me.

“I’ll be cutting in now.” He said quietly. When the minor lord refused to acknowledge him, Bankotsu pulled me completely out of his grip and back to the wall. The idiot lord followed us the entire way. “Hime Kagome, do you not wish to dance.” The fool questioned.

“I declined your offer to dance. I warned you to release me. I even dug my claws into your arm and shoulder. What part of that did you take as my wishing to dance with you?” I asked incredulously. “Many women of your status play coy.” Was his reply. At that comment, Bankotsu had to grab my arms and restrain me.

“Bankotsu, have him escorted from the palace by Myouga; no one else. Find Shippo, Kikyou, Inuyasha, Sango, and Miroku and bring them to my bedroom.” I told him through clenched fangs. I then calmly left the great hall and made the trek to my bedroom before I clobbered the lord. I picked up my bow, and ran my fingers along the design until I had calmed down.

I had never noticed how the carvings flowed like water and that every inches there would be a fang through an eye. I hadn’t been paying attention when I designed and carved it. Then the others finally entered with Bankotsu and Myouga and I pushed my thoughts aside and set my bow against the foot of my bed.

“I’m sorry I left so suddenly. I was being annoyed by a minor lord that apparently didn’t know the meaning of no.” I told them. I gave each of them a hug as they entered and we all sat on my bed. “Myouga, Bankotsu, this is Miroku. You met Sango earlier. Of course, this is my musuko, Shippo. My nee-chan, Kikyou; and my onee-chan, Inuyasha.” I introduced.

“Everyone, this is Myouga and Bankotsu. They trained and sparred with me when I was younger. In fact, they’re much older than me and I was still able to beat them when I barely knew how to fight.” I teased them. “Honestly Kagome, are ever going to let us live that down?” Bankotsu questioned.

“Nope.” I told him, smiling and sticking my tongue out at him. We spent an hour or so in my room before I could see the children yawning and fighting to keep their eyes open. “Bed time.” I declared. They didn’t even argue; just nodded and went to their rooms.

Bankotsu and Myouga left next, saying that they needed to make sure none of the guests were still wondering the halls. Soon after Sango and Miroku went to their room and I was left alone. I dressed for bed quickly and climbed under the covers on my bed. Within minutes, I was asleep.

End Notes:
Hope you liked this chapter. More to come. Please review and tell me what you think.
Chapter 18 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:

Here we are. This is going to be a little bit of an odd chapter, but it'll make sense later. I promise.

I woke to Shippo shaking my shoulder excitedly. “What is it Shippo? It is barely past sunrise.” I groaned out. “Grandma is seeing a healer. Grandpa thinks she’s pregnant.” He replied. At this news I shot up from the bed and furiously rubbed the sleep from my eyes.

I jumped out of the bed and sped out of the room, quickly making my way to the door of my parents’ room. “Papa, is it true? Do you think she’s pregnant?” I asked excitedly. He nodded, smiled, and grimaced all at once.

“What’s wrong?” I questioned. “I’m worried. Someone will surely threaten her life.” He answered. “I will not allow that to happen. Myouga and Bankotsu won’t let it happen either.” I assured him. “I don’t want her going to the ball tonight. Will you go with me instead?” he asked frantically.

 “I will go if she is pregnant.” I said simply. We soon fell silent in excitement. If momma was pregnant she would be so happy. Finally, the healer exited the room and looked at us, smiling happily. “You and momma are going to have a pup papa!” I shouted hugging him tightly and jumping a little.

“That settles it then. Your Okaa-san will stay here and you will accompany me to the ball.” He decided. “Fine. But I want Shippo to stay here. I don’t want my musuko around all of those lords and ladies. They will judge him without knowing him and I don’t want him to be surrounded by that prejudice.” I told him.

“I agree. Kikyou and Inuyasha will stay here as well.” He declared. The children looked to argue; but one stern look from and they decided against it. “I will go papa. But that doesn’t mean I’ll like it. I want you to promise that you won’t allow anyone to pull me away from you to dance.” I asserted.

“I promise you, Kagome. I will keep you away from anyone who wishes to dance with you unless you say yes. Now, go choose a kimono to wear.” He responded. “Do I have to wear a kimono? Can I make adjustments to it like I did the kimono from yesterday?” I pleaded. He gave me a stern look and I sighed.

Just wonderful. I’ll be in a kimono I can hardly move around in. I sent him a mock glare before smirking and making my way to the seamstress’s room in the front of the palace. “Hello again, Hime Kagome.” She said. “Hello again, Kirara. I need another kimono. I’m going with papa to the peace ball tonight and he said I couldn’t adjust it how I wanted it. So, I need a simple kimono. I want to be able to move around in it.” I told her.

“What color would you like?” she asked. “Um….. I don’t want the amber color again. What would you suggest?” I questioned. “Well; let’s see….. I have a dark blue, green, ruby red, silver, gold, dark purple, black, pink, or orange.” She answered. I spent a few moments thinking about it before choosing.

“I can’t wear black; it’s not a funeral. I refuse to wear pink, orange, green, gold, or silver, I can’t wear those bright colors. So it’s either the blue, purple, or red. Which one will look best on my skin tone in the light tonight?” I inquired.

“Hmmm..... let’s see. You’ve got lightly tanned skin. The purple will make you stand out too much; especially if you go for a stroll through the gardens, which I know you will. The blue will draw too many of the minor lords and their sons to you. Many of them favor the color blue. So that leaves the red. It will contrast well with your hair and your eye color. I can also have it look more complex than it actually is if you would like.” She offered.

“That would be wonderful. Thank you Kirara.” I smiled, hugging her. She froze and her back stiffened. “Gomen nasai. I forgot you’re not used to being hugged.” I muttered as I released her. Quickly, we grabbed the fabric and she began to make the kimono for me.

When it was finished, I squeezed into the material and Kirara found some slippers for me. “Thank you Kirara. I’m going to find papa now. I had better see you dancing with Bankotsu tonight.” I told her, smiling when she blushed and nodded.

I left the room quickly, and followed Kouga’s scent to a small pond in the garden. “Hey papa.” I said, hugging him from the side. “Where have you been, Kagome?” he asked. “I was with Kirara getting a new dress.” I answered.

“I see that. It’s a beautiful kimono.” He claimed. “Thanks papa.” I smiled before sighing and staring into the water. “What’s wrong?” “I wish I had one more chance to speak to Lord Sesshomaru. If I did then I would tell him how sorry I am that I lied and how much I love him. I never should have allowed it to happen; I should have stayed away from him before he left Do you think he would let it go and admit his feelings for you?” Kouga asked.

“Don’t be ridiculous, papa. He hates my kind. Do you mind if I go see the children? I need a distraction from the pain.” At his nod, I disappeared to the other side of the gardens. I found Shippo, Kikyou, and Inuyasha playing in a grove of sakura trees with momma. When they saw me, they ran over with momma trailing behind them.

“Kagome, you look so pretty.” Kikyou and Inuyasha said, hugging me around my waist. “You look lovely, momma.” Shippo complimented. “Thank you, Shippo.” Go play. I need to speak to momma.” I told them. They smiled and ran to the spot they had been at before and I turned to my mother.

“What’s bothering you, Kagome?” my mother asked. “Momma, what if he sees me he said that he and Rin were coming to the peace festival. What if he sees me?” I queried. I was horribly worried. He couldn’t attack me out in the open, but he could humiliate me, insult me, and hurt me without having to lift a finger.

“Dear one, you mustn’t worry so. You will be with your Outo-san and Bankotsu and Myouga will be there with you as well.” My mother whispered. “I know momma. But I’m still worried. Is there any way that I can hide from him?” I questioned.

“I’m afraid not. You have to go with your father. Those silly girls will surely try to dance with him and they annoy him mother than the minor lords and their sons annoy you.” My mother replied. I cringed. If the women at the ball were more annoying than the men, I suddenly realized how much Kouga would need me there.

“Fine, I’ll go and keep them away from him. But if they try to talk bad about you to him in front of me, don’t be surprised when papa is dragging me kicking and screaming to my room.” I ground out. “I expect nothing less than to have to knock you out.” my mother joked.

I smiled and hugged her, then saw how late it was getting and frowned. “I’d better get to the great hall. The ball will be beginnings soon. Go to your room momma. Please make sure James goes to bed on time.” I requested as I began leaving the gardens.

She called out an agreement just before I entered the castle walls. As I made my way to the great hall, I saw a very familiar little on’nanoko making her way to me. “Hello, Rin.” I called, smiling apprehensively.

“Hello, Kagome. It is good to see you again.” she said, somewhat sadly. “I am sorry I left without saying goodbye Rin.” I whispered, kneeling down in front of her. She had tears in her eyes and I wiped them away as a few of them fell.

“Sesshomaru told me what happened. I wish you would have stayed.” She replied. “I wanted to stay; but my place is here, with my family. Besides, Sesshomaru hates me; I couldn’t stay with him hating me, Rin. If you would like to play with the others, go to the family wing and tell a guard name Bankotsu that I said, ‘I owe you a real sparring session’. He’ll show you to the others and my momma.” I told her, standing to my full height.

“He doesn’t hate you Kagome. Sesshomaru does love you; he’s just hurt that you lied.” She told me, before disappearing from the hall. Does he really love me? I shook my head at the thought. He couldn’t love me; it was just wishful thinking on Rin’s part.

I found Kouga just outside the ornate doors to the great hall. I looped my arm through his and smiled up at him before we entered the room. All eyes in the room moved to us and narrowed, before everyone went back to their conversations.

“Papa, can we dance?” I requested. He nodded, and led me to the dance floor. We began dancing slowly as I looked out over the dancing couples around us. I saw Bankotsu and Kirara dancing and smiled at them before I noticed that almost everyone was watching us dance.

I knew my face was red with embarrassment and shyness. When Kouga looked at me, I laid my head on his shoulder. “What are you so embarrassed about?” he asked. I had known it was foolish to try to hide my flaming cheeks from his superior vision, but it was worth a shot.

“I’m embarrassed because… I hate to admit it; but I care about what the lords and ladies of the kingdoms will think of me. As much as I pride myself on not caring what others think of me, I do. I’ve always felt I wasn’t good enough and being surrounded by people who will judge m as long as they see me has always been something I run away from.” I replied.

“It’s alright, Kagome. Just remember, most of these people want to empress you; not the other way around.” He said in my ear. I nodded and we continued to dance. A few times I had to chase away onna who were trying to drag my Outo-san away from me.

They would send me glares but every time I bared my fangs at them they gave up and went to find a minor lord or heir that I had rejected. I was beginning to tire of these people. “Tell me again; why did I have to come? More importantly, why did I have to wear this dress? I can’t breathe.” I whispered.

“I had to bring someone. I’d rather dance with my friend and my musume than one of those onna anyway.” Kouga answered. “So, why couldn’t momma come? No one’s shown any real anger towards her. I’d rather be taking care of Shippo, Kikyou, and Inuyasha. At least with them I can dress normally.” I replied.

I knew I was complaining, but I didn’t care. I did not want to be here where Lord Sesshomaru could see me. “I’m sorry, Kagome. I have to speak to the southern Lord a moment. Wait for me by the doors and I’ll take you to your room.” Kouga asserted.

Quickly, I made my way to the doors, only to be stopped by someone grabbing my arm. As I turned to tell the person who grabbed me to let go, I as met with the amber eyes of Lord Sesshomaru. I froze and stared up into his eyes. We must speak.” He declared leaving no room for argument.

 I nodded, and led him to the grove of sakura trees in the garden. “What is it you wish to say to me, Lord Sesshomaru?” I questioned, doing my best to keep my voice neutral. “I must tell you something: something that I could not say before. Will you agree to listen to me before you leave, Kagome?” he asked.

“Please, do not be so informal with me Lord Sesshomaru. I only allow my friends and family to call me by my name.” I ground out, glaring at him to keep my tears at bay. He stepped closet to me, and I almost stepped back.

I would have, if I wasn’t frozen from anger and fear. “Why did you find me? I am simply an imperfect hanyou. I would like to return to my Outo-san now.” I told him, glaring at him. “To me, you are perfect.” He declared. I gasped; how I had longed to hear these words?

They were as close to an admission of feelings I knew I would get from him. But, I still didn’t believe him. He had hurt me too much for that. “How can such a ‘stain on blood’ be perfect?” I spat out.

I had thrown his words back at him just like he had thrown my mistakes at me. I saw him flinch under my glare; and I wondered if his sister’s words were true. “The only stain I see is tears on an angel.” Was his eloquent reply.

“Just leave me be. I would not wish to tarnish your bloodline with my ‘filthy blood’.” I bit out, spinning and marching away as best I could in the restricting dress. “Ka- Hime Kagome! Wait!” he called form behind me.

I refused to stop. I didn’t want to hurt anymore. Suddenly, he grabbed my arm and spun me to face him. “Let me leave!” I shouted. “When you said you were leaving, I thought my heart would burst from my chest if I did not follow you.” He said as his arms wrapped around me and pulled me flush against him.

For the first time since my siblings were born, I allowed the tears that gathered in my eyes to fall. “But you hate people like me. I saw it in your eyes.” I cried. His arms tightened fractionally with every tear that escaped my eyes, which only served to make more fall.

“I could not hate you even if I wanted to.” He muttered, so softly I barely heard it. “Why? Why me?! Why am I cursed to feel this pain? There must be a reason.” I cried into his shoulder. I couldn’t fight the tears anymore; it hurt too much.

“We met for a reason; either you’re a blessing or a lesson.” “How do you see that?” I asked through my tears. “If you were a blessing you would enrich my life. If you were a lesson, I would learn from mistakes made with you and move on to enrich my life.” Was his answer.

“It seems they are the same. Either way, your life is made better.” I replied. “There is one difference.” Eager to know the difference, I stood still and stared at him out of the corner of my eye. “If you were a blessing, you would stay. But if you were a lesson, you would leave.” He finished.

“Then I choose to be a lesson. I have learned from my mistakes. It is your turn to learn from the pain.” I whispered as I finally pushed out of his arms. “What if I wish you to be a blessing to my life?” he asked. “I refuse to be a blessing of the one who has caused me so much pain. Goodbye, Lord Sesshomaru.” I answered quietly as I turned and ran.

Even as I ran through the gardens I could hear him following me. I was frantically trying to find somewhere to hide; and unfortunately, not paying attentions to where I was going. The skirt of my dress tore more and more with every bush and baby tree I passed. And then… I had to stop.

I was at the edge of the garden now; where the river met the lake before continuing through the kingdom. I was trapped. “Kagome.” Lord Sesshomaru called. Slowly, I turned to face him; hoping against hope that Kouga would find me and keep me away from him. “Why must you continue to follow me?

I know what you will say. I am an ‘abomination’. I am just like the onna who betrayed you. Leave me be!” I shouted. Before he had a chance to say anything, I rushed past him to Kouga, and we left as quickly as possible.

After tripping over the tattered remains of my skirt a few times, Kouga had my climb on his back and carried me to my bedroom. there, he had me sit on the bed. “Kagome, what happened?” he asked concerned.

“Please, tell me what you know about him. I have to understand.” I told him quietly. “Why? What more could you possibly need to know about Sesshomaru?” he demanded. “Kouga, please? Tell me what you know about him. I need to understand his actions.” I begged.

I had told Kouga about what happened after we left the ball; even asked him to help me understand what was going on while he carried me. He’d promised, reluctantly, to explain; and I was not about to let him go back on his word.

 “Why though? Understanding won’t help you; it might only make it worse.” I knew he was trying to frighten me with the unknown. I would not allow him to scare me from my conviction to know. “Kouga, even if it makes everything worse, I need to understand why he acted that way. I need to know why he seems to hate me.” I pleaded, knowing he would want the same if our roles were reversed.

“Kagome I don’t want to see you hurt anymore.” He tried. “I know. But if momma acted like she hated you then said something the opposite of that and continued to act like it; you would want to know, too.” I argued. I hadn’t been able to stop my tears since they had broken through my defenses with Sesshomaru, so I know he would be slightly confused with how my words mixed together.

“He doesn’t hate you. He is hurting. You lied; you didn’t have a choice but you still lied. Lord Sesshomaru is not one to give up easily. If he loves you, he will fight for you. He isn’t one to be able to speak freely about his emotions. He’ll need time to be able to speak freely with you about how he feels.” He muttered.

“I don’t want to give him time. Every time he looks at me a piece of my heart dies. He smiled before I told him. He showed emotions before I told him. Now, he’s cold again. He- he called us half breeds and half-lings. It hurts.” “I know it hurts, Kagome. But perhaps you should speak to him again.” he suggested.

“I don’t want to talk to him. I can’t be near him.” I whispered. “Very well. The southern lord’s son has requested to begin courting you. So has the northern lord’s. Would you like to speak with them before giving them an answer?” he asked.

“I have to at least talk to them. I know how this works their sisters are supposed to try to win over the oji of the other lords and they were supposed to try to win over the hime of other lords. I will speak with them. But if I cannot get through a short conversation with them, then my answer will be no.” I answered. He nodded and left the room quietly. After a few moments, I dressed for bed and climbed under the covers, drying the last of my tears.

End Notes:
Hope you liked it; please review and let me know what you think of the story so far.
Chapter 19 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
Here's a little more anger from Kagome. I just couldn't help adding the two creepist, to me at least, men from the band of seven.

When I woke the next morning, I found Bankotsu and Myouga outside my door. I dressed in comfortable pants and a short sleeved shirt before tying my sword on my hip and following them to the great hall. There, I saw my family, and the families of all the kingdoms; including the western kingdom.

The four royal families were the eastern wolves; the northern bears; the southern panthers; and the western dogs. I sat across from Sesshomaru and Rin, under the rising sun. To my right sat the Lord of the north with his musuko and musume. To my left sat the Lord of the south with his musuko and musume.

“Welcome, families of the four kingdoms. We gather here today so that our children may acquaint themselves with each other.” Kouga announced, getting everyone’s attention. “I suggest that we leave them to talk amongst themselves.” The lord of the north claimed. “I agree.” The lord of the south declared.

Kouga nodded, sent me a look that said ‘don’t insult them unless they insult you’ and left with the other lords. Sesshomaru moved to make his way to me, but thankfully was cut off by the hime from the north. Just as I was about to make my way to my own siblings, the oji of the north caught my arm.

“Hello, Hime Kagome. My name is Mukotsu.” He said. “Hello Oji Mukotsu.” I inclined my head, searching for my siblings and my musuko. “Are you searching for someone?” he asked, a little coldly. “My sibling and my musuko.” I answered. Suddenly, it went deathly quiet in the room and all eyes turned to me.

“I adopted Shippo. He is my musuko.” I confirmed. Everyone turned back to their own conversations as if nothing had happened. “Why would you adopt a child?” Mukotsu asked. “Because I am an Okaa-san at heart. I could not allow the fiends who pretended to be his parents continue to use them as they had been. He is only a child and he needs a real mother. I became his mother the moment I knew those people were using him.” I replied, grinding my teeth together.

“That is quite foolish.” He responded. “No. what you say is foolish. Do not dare to assume you know simply because of who my Outo-san is.” I retorted as I ripped my arm form his rip. With that, I made my way across the room to Shippo and my siblings. “Are you alright, momma?” Shippo inquired.

“I am fine, dear heart. Why don’t you go play with Kikyou and Inuyasha?” I suggested, pushing away my anger as I placed a kiss on his forehead. Before he could walk away, the southern oji strolled up to us. “Hello Hime Kagome, Oji Shippo. I am Oji Renkotsu.” He addressed us. “Hello Oji Renkotsu. Are you going to upset my Okaa-san as well?” Shippo asked him, narrowing his eyes coldly.

“I shall try not to, Oji Shippo.” He replied. At this, my eyes narrowed upon him. He was far too smooth for my liking. He had something up his sleeve. “Shippo, go play with Kikyou and Inuyasha. I’ll collect you when it’s time to go.” I told him, giving his shoulder a slight squeeze.

 He nodded and walked over to where my siblings were. After I was sure he was safe, I turned my gaze to the oji of the south. “Hello Oji Renkotsu.” I greeted. “You are quite a beauty, Hime Kagome.” He said as he lifted my hand and kissed it. “Um…. Thank you, Oji Renkotsu.” I responded curiously as I pulled my hand away.

“Where did you get those callouses from? If you don’t mind my asking?” he inquired. “I got them when I was working. I am a blacksmith. Before my Okaa-san married Lord Kouga I worked in the western kingdom. I plan to continue my work as soon as I get my supplies from my shop in the west.” I answered warily.

 Something flashed across his eyes before he spoke again. “I don’t believe I’ve ever met a hime or lady of the kingdoms that has worked a day in her life. Your Okaa-san’s marriage into the eastern family was fortunate for your family.” He quipped.

“My Okaa-san married Lord Kouga because they love each other.” I responded. “Oh, I’m sure. And it just happens that you don’t work right now. Your mother married into money and status.” he remarked.

“I supported my family without his money or his status. She would have married him no matter his status. If he lost the kingdom my Okaa-san would stay with him until death. How dare you presume to know what is fortunate for my family and insinuate that about my Okaa-san and my family? Unlike you, my Okaa-san loves Lord Kouga. Whereas you and Oji Mukotsu merely wish to court me for access to the crown of the east as well as your own crown.” I bit out.

With that, I stormed away from him to the children. “I am sorry, Rin. We must leave here for now. If you wish, you may come to the family wing and we will all go to the gardens together later.” I told her. She agreed and I took the children to the family wing. I met momma in her room with them behind me.

“Catrina, aren’t you four supposed to be meeting with the other lords’ heirs?” my Okaa-san asked. “Momma those ojis are fools! I cannot be near them! I refuse to speak with them again! Oji Mukotsu insulted that I adopted Shippo. He said it was foolish that I am a mother at heart. Oji Renkotsu accused you of marrying Kouga just for his money and title. I thought I would kill the fool. I refuse to even consider allowing either of those bakas to court me.” I asserted.

 Just then, Kouga stormed into the room, and I cringed at the anger rolling off of him. “Kagome.” He ground out. “Um…… I can explain.” I said. “Then please, do explain to me why the heirs of the north and south had to be taken to the healer from the beatings they received.” He exclaimed.

“I didn’t beat them. I didn’t touch them. all I did was defend myself and my Okaa-san from their words. I left before I could lose control of myself and hurt them.” I defended. “Then who beat them to a pulp?” he questioned angrily. “I don’t know! When I left the great hall, the only injuries they had were from being rejected!” I shouted.

“Who else would have beat them so horribly?” momma interjected. “Bankotsu and Myouga weren’t there. I can’t think of anyone else who would want to hurt the bakas besides those two and myself.” I answered. “Did either of them touch you?” Kouga queried.

 “Oji Mukotsu grabbed my arm while he was talking to me. Oji Renkotsu kissed my hand before he insulted me and momma.” I affirmed. “It might have been Lord Sesshomaru.” Kikyou interrupted. “What makes you say that sweetie?” momma asked. “Well, he seemed really angry when the ojis touched Kagome. He looked really mad when she was upset.” Inuyasha agreed.

 “You don’t think he would really risk the alliances?” I questioned. “Kagome!” Sango shouted as she entered the room. “What’s wrong?” I called. “Lord Sesshomaru. He’s calling for you. He has refused to speak to anyone but you. He’s admitted to beating the ojis.” Sango exclaimed.

“Tell him to meet me in the market with Rin. I’ll speak with him while I look for somewhere to put my shop. My supplies are going to be here tomorrow.” I agreed, making my way to my bedroom. “Kagome, wear the kimono you wore to the wedding. We’ll have Kirara make you some more designed like that for when you work later.” Kouga called.

 “Alright papa; have Kikyou, Shippo and Inuyasha ready to go when I get ready.” I called back. I changed quickly into my amber modified kimono, tied my sword to my hip, and strapped my quiver and bow to my back. I did my hair up and back in a simple bun and left some of my hair to lie across my shoulders.

When I left the room, I found the children ready to go. “Alright. you can play with Rin while I speak with Lord Sesshomaru and look for a new shop. I just need you to stay where I can see you, okay” I asked. They nodded, and we left with Bankotsu and Myouga following us.

When we got to the market, I saw many of the people there give me a slight bow as we passed and inclined my head to them. After a quick scan of the market place, I decided where I wanted to put my shop. There was an open space right across from a shop where a youkai worked that seemed to have the ability to make all sorts of metal appear on a whim.

Smiling, I turned to go into the shop. “Hello, I wish to speak with you.” I told the on’nanoko. “Hello how may I- Hime Kagome!” she shouted as she turned to look at me. “Yes, hello. May I ask your name?” I asked.

“Um…. My name is Ayame, Hime. What can I do for you?” she questioned. “I would like to make a deal with you. I am opening a blacksmith shop just across from you. I will pay you to make metals for my shop so that I may make my works.” I offered. “Yes, of course, Hime Kagome.” She replied.

“It is your choice. I can get my metal from where I used to buy it from. I am making you this deal from one entrepreneur to another. I will also give you a choice of any weapon you like. In exchange for selling me metal, you may commission any weapon free of charge for as long as you wish.” I told her.

She smiled, and bowed her head in agreement. “Excellent. I will return tomorrow with my first order to put in. For now, I must go get my shop put up.” I smiled, as I turned from the shop. This would be wonderful. When I came back out, I saw that Bankotsu and Myouga had already gotten the wood and started building the shop.

Grabbing a plank, I started helping them. “Kagome, you shouldn’t be doing that.” Bankotsu called. “Oh, hush Bankotsu. I’m not going to just sit around and wait while you build my shop. I helped last time and I’ll help this time.” I argued.

He immediately stopped arguing. I had forgotten that if I gave them an order then they had to do what I said. I felt guilty right away. I didn’t want someone to take that kind of freedom away from me and I had just done that to him; unintentional as it was I had still done it.

“I’m sorry Bankotsu. You know I didn’t mean that as an order. You may voice your opinion; just know that I’ll still help no matter what you say.” I called out. He nodded and continued working on building the shop. I sighed, but stiffened when I felt Lord Sesshomaru’s aura closing in on mine.

It calmed me, but it set me on edge that I had noticed he was entering the market place. “Hello Lord Sesshomaru.” I called over my shoulder. “Hello Ka- Hime Kagome.” He greeted. “Kids, why don’t you go play?” I suggested as I continued to barely acknowledge Sesshomaru and set my shop up.

I heard them shuffle off to the edge of my senses as I finished lifting the wall I had been working on. “What it is you wish to speak to me about, Lord Sesshomaru?” I inquired. “I wish to speak to you alone.” He answered. “Forgive me…… Bankotsu, Myouga, go speak to Ayame of whatever you wish until I tell you otherwise.” I ordered.

I hated having to do that to them. But they wouldn’t have left me alone with him otherwise. When they were inside the shop across from us, I turned to the next wall and spoke. “Now, what is it you wish to speak with me about?” I repeated.

“Why did you run?” he asked. “I ran because I had the right to run. You have no right to make me feel worse about what I did. I had no choice but to lie. If you had known before you got to know me, can you honestly tell me that you wouldn’t have killed me and my family?” I questioned.

He was silent for a long time, and I knew he was trying to find a way out of the question. “No, I cannot.” He whispered. “Then please leave me be. I know that you hate me. I also know that if you could you would still kill me. I am sorry I lied and that I hurt you. But I wish to no longer feel this pain.” I replied quietly.

“What pain?! You tore my heart out!” he shouted. “The pain of loving someone who wants to kill me. The pain of falling in love with someone I knew I shouldn’t have. And the pain of loving someone who hates me.” I whispered.

Before I could wipe them away, my tears escaped my eyes and fell to the ground. I struck the wood in front of me. “I have lost you.” He claimed softly. “If so then it was by your own doing. You lost me because you pushed me away. I am sorry a half-ling such as I caused you such pain. I wish to give you back your heart; but I’m afraid that I don’t have it. I have lost it, along with my own."

"Perhaps you can find it back in the west, in the river where you accused me of lying to Rin. Where you called me a half breed and a half-ling. I lied because I had to lie to survive. I never lied about my beliefs or my feelings. The only lie I have ever told is about my blood status. I never accused you of things that never happened. I never wanted to fall in love. I should have stayed away from you. You were the one who sought me out. I tried to avoid the hurt of seeing you again.” I admitted quietly, wishing he would leave me to cry in silence.

Instead, he wrapped his arms around me from behind and pulled me close, burying his nose in my hair. “I refuse to lose you.” He asserted. “It is too late. I refuse to hurt anymore. I will allow my Outo-san to find a suitor to court me so that I might find a mate that can accept me as I am.” I intoned.

“You will not. I will challenge any man who tries to claim you.” He declared. “You would deny me happiness?” I questioned. “They cannot make you happy.” He remarked. “And I suppose you can? You’ve done a real good job of it so far. Every time I speak with you I end up crying.” I retorted.

“I cannot lose you. I have chosen you as my future mate and I will have no other. I refuse to lose you.” He replied. “It is not that you love me, it is that you refuse to lose a prize to another. I am not a possession. I am an onna; one who’s heart you have torn into for the last time.” I declared as I wrenched myself form his arms.

My tears were falling faster now, and with every breath I took more continued to fall. I spun to face him and raised my hand. Before I could stop myself, my hand struck his cheek and there was a red hand print branding his face.

“I am not something to win or lose in a game! I refuse to be treated as an object! I hate my love for you! May you rot in the underworld for what you have done to me!” I yelled as I left. “Kagome wait!” Rin yelled.

“I’m sorry Rin. I know you thought he loves me. He is incapable of loving me as I love him. I cannot wait for him to learn. I will see you again. But I cannot be around him.” I told her as tears continued to fall. “Bankotsu! Myouga! Watch the children until it is time for them to come home! I will be returning early!” I shouted before running from the market.

When I entered the castle, I ran to the back and straight to the edge of the gardens where it met the river. I fell to my knees at the edge of the water and cried. I cried for my pain, anger, and hurt. I cried for my heart, which I could still feel breaking under the strain it was in from trying to hold onto the love I felt for Sesshomaru.

I cried for the hatred I felt growing at myself. I hated myself for being so weak in front of him and in front of everyone in the market. I hated that I still loved him even after what he had said and how he had acted.

I hated that I couldn’t stop feeling so much. I felt his aura coming towards me, but I refused to move. I sat there, with my face in my hands, staring out into the water. I barely acknowledged the tears that flowed from my eyes freely and I began to feel numb.

“Kagome.” I heard him call. “Kagome.” He repeated himself. I continued to stare mutely at the flowing water, wishing he would leave even as he kneeled beside me. “Kagome, look at me.” he ordered. I was so tired of fighting with him, I turned my head to face him and saw him gasp and stare at me in shock.

“What? Do you not like how I have become like you? Cold? Distant? Numb?” I asked softly. “I never meant to hurt you Kagome.” He said. “It doesn’t matter if you meant to hurt me or not. I have made my decision. I will never marry. I will die alone when my time comes. Then perhaps my soul will find peace in the afterlife.” I whispered.

I didn’t care anymore. I would continue to work, but I could no longer live life as I had been. I had lost my will to live. I was…. Numb; broken. “No. You will fight.” He ordered. “It matters not. I have no fight left within me. I am… a broken toy.” I declared sadly.

 “You are not a toy. You are not an object. You are a person, Kagome. Fight!” he shouted. “How am I supposed to fight? I have nothing left to give the fates. They have taught me well the lesson that some of us should never love.” I replied quietly.

“You are a fighter! What happened to the onna who yelled at me for insulting her?! What happened to the onna who was educated like a man in the span of two moon cycles?! What happened to the onna who wanted to spar with me for the fun of it?! What happened to the onna who adopted an orphaned kit?!” he questioned.

I looked up into his eyes, even as tears continued to fall from my own, and spoke with as much emotion as I could. “She fell in love with a man who could not love her back. she fell I love with someone who broke her heart. She is…. Broken. Never to return the way she once was. There is nothing left of the heart that was once there.” I answered, standing quietly and beginning a stroll through the gardens.

“Kagome, I know you. You are a fighter. You can get through this.” He pushed. “I have no heart. A warrior is only as good as their fighting heart. I cannot fight with a shattered heart.” I replied. “I cannot let you do this to yourself.” He asserted.

“Perhaps, you should have never shown your emotions to me then. You should have kept your mask. Now, I wear the same mask.” I responded. “No! My mate will not wear a mask!!” he yelled at me. At this, I cracked; I showed emotion.

“I am not your mate! I will never be your mate! I refuse to be with someone who cannot love me! Let my broken heart shatter!” I shouted back. “Kagome, I cannot let you fall into darkness as I did.” He said. “Why not?! Why am I not allowed to be in pain?!” I cried.

“Because I will not see you in pain! It hurts me to see you in pain!” he retorted. “Then hurt for all I care. You just don’t want to feel guilty! You can just rot in hell if you think that I’m going to stop hurting to take away your guilty conscience!” I shouted, turning on my heel to leave.

He grabbed my arm and yanked me back into him, wrapping his arms around me from behind. “Let me go, Sesshomaru!” I ordered. “I cannot lose you, Kagome.” He whispered in my ear. “I hate you!” I yelled, crying as I fought to be freed from his grasp.

 “I am sorry it took me so long to say it, Kagome. I will leave you be; but know that I will always love you.” He said quietly in my ear before disappearing. I collapsed to the ground. How could he say that now? How could he finally say he loved me, only after he had hurt me so much and leave?

I couldn’t breathe. I fell to my hands as I tried to choke in air that my lungs were depriving me of. After a few moments of desperately trying to breathe, everything went dark and silent.

End Notes:

Hope you liked this chapter. See ya.

Chapter 20 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
I realize it's a really short chapter but trust me it's building up to the next chapter to give you a little peak and to help you get ready for what's going to happen.

I woke sometime later in my bed, staring up at the ceiling and wondering what had happened. I looked to the side of my bed to see my family and friends surrounding me. Everyone’s heads were bowed and I could smell the scent of old and new tears.

“What’s going on?” I asked, my voice croaking from a dry throat and lack of use. “Kagome, you’re alright!” my Okaa-san shouted as she crushed me into a hug. “Yes, Okaa-san, I’m fine. What’s wrong? Why is everyone crying? How long was I asleep?” I questioned worriedly.

“We thought you had fallen into a never ending sleep. We thought you wouldn’t come back. You’ve been asleep for nearly a moon cycle.” Kouga answered. “What?!” I shouted as I bolted upright. I suddenly got very dizzy and slowly rested my back against the head board.

“You’ve been asleep for almost a moon cycle. We had to send all the lords, minor lords, and their families’ home early from the peace festival.” Kouga told me. “What did you tell them happened?” I questioned. “We told them you had fallen ill. We also told them…..” my Okaa-san’s voice trailed off as she answered me. “What did you tell them, Okaa-san?” I asked.

“We told them…. we didn’t know if you would come out of it. You were announced forever sleeping.” She finally admitted. “What all has happened?” I demanded. “Momma, everything has been fine. Except…..” Now Shippo trailed off as he spoke. “Except what Shipp? I need to know, honey.” I told him softly.

“Rin came to us a week after you were asleep. Lord Sesshomaru sent her. She says that he became depressed. We tried to visit him a few days ago. He doesn’t eat. He only sleeps when his body forces him to he constantly drinks. He is not well, Catrina.” Sand said for him. I froze.

He blames himself. I collapsed after he said he loves me and left. “He blames himself for my sleep. Before I fell; we argued. He tried to get me to act normal. He called me his mate and I told him I refused to be with someone who couldn’t love me. I said I hated him. He….. he told me he loves me and then he left. That’s the last thing I remember.” I explained.

“You have to go speak with him. He needs you, Kagome. And even if you don’t want to admit it you need him too.” Myouga advised. I nodded, and slowly stood. “I’ll go. But first I want to eat and dress. Where are my weapons?” I asked. Miroku laid my weapons on my bed and everyone began filing out of my bedroom.

I went through my closet, and decided to wear a red dress that was designed like the amber one I wore to the wedding. I packed the amber dress in a bag along with hair ties; a hair brush; a blue dress like the amber one; daggers; and a few other travelling supplies. I brushed out my hair and did it up in a bun that left a few strands to lei across my shoulders before dressing.

A servant brought my breakfast to my bedroom and I are quickly before strapping on my weapons and leaving the room. I found my parents in their bedroom, along with everyone else. “Kagome.” I heard Rin call. Just after I turned to see her, she jumped into my arms and hugged me tightly.

“Hello Rin.” I said softly. “Kagome, I’m so glad you’re alright.” she whispered. “Yes, I’m fine. I’m sorry I scare you all. But now I have to leave. I have to go save a certain lord from his own guilt and sorrow. Are you coming with me, Rin?” I asked. She nodded and we turned to the others.

“I suppose everyone wants to accompany us?” I questioned when I saw the looks they were giving me. At their nods, I sighed but smiled in agreement. “We’ll take the carriages and get there faster.” Kouga declared. We all made our way outside and found a massive carriage waiting for us.

Behind it, a smaller one sat; and momma and Kouga climbed into it. Along with myself; Kikyou, Inuyasha, Shippo, Rin, and Miroku climbed into the larger carriage. Bankotsu sat in the driver’s seat at the front, guiding the horses swiftly to the west on our carriage; while Myouga did the same with momma and Kouga’s carriage.

I sat with my family and friends, silently watching as the scenery passed us as swiftly as if I had been running alone. All too soon we were in the boundaries of the western kingdom. I could barely smell a hint of Sesshomaru anywhere. It was like he hadn’t moved across the land since I had left. At sunset, we made a small camp and went to sleep soon after dinner.

End Notes:
Bare with me here. My thinking is that around the time in the feudal era they are in, that they didn't know what a coma is, so they call it the forever sleep. It's the same thing, just a different name.
Chapter 21 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
It's just after three a.m. and I couldn't sleep so I figured after giving you something to tease you into frustration would give me the calming influence I need to get about four hours of sleep.

In the morning, we dressed for the day and climbed back into our carriages. We spent the last of the journey in completed silence as I toyed with my bag. I had a plan. I would send the others inside and wait outside the door before going in.

I had made adjustments to my old concealment bracelet so that no one could sense me while I was wearing it. I was going to put it on just as I felt his aura caressing my own; I pushed my bracelet on and steeled myself for the worst. We pulled up in front of the palace of the west, and everyone got out of the carriage as our arrival was announced.

I slipped out of the carriage just as Bankotsu pass the door, and hid in his shadow as he followed my family into the castle. “My Lord, the family of the east is here.” a servant called. “Let them in.” a deep voice returned. I hadn’t heard that voice in far too long. His deep baritone caressed my hidden ears as I listened to their conversation from just outside the door.

“I take Kagome has not woken considering she is not with you.” He said to my Outo-san sadly. I could hear the guilt and the pain in his voice. It was tearing at me not to go and speak with him but I had to be sure he wasn’t lying when he admitted his feelings to me. “Do you love my daughter?” my Okaa-san asked suddenly. “Yes, I do.” Was his answer.

“Then why do you not go to visit her? Why do you sit here and wallow when she needs you?” she accused. “She asked me to leave her be. Even as it haunts me, I am doing what she wished.” He answered quietly; brokenly. “She is in forever sleep! You would be the only one to wake her and allow her to live!” she shouted.

“Only to be unhappy when she is awake. She is far safer in her forever sleep.” He said. “I’ve heard enough!” I shouted as I pushed the door open and ripped the bracelet off, breaking it and sending beads flying everywhere.

“Ka- Kagome.” He whispered. Before I could blink, he was hugging me tightly to him and had buried his nose in my hair. “I thought you were in a forever sleep.” He whispered in my ear. “I nearly was. I don’t know how; but I suddenly woke up yesterday morning.” I replied.

“I thought you would never wake. I thought we had lost you.” He breathed out. “Sesshomaru, why have you not eaten?” I demanded. “I have no reason to survive.” He answered. “You still had a kingdom and you had Rin. You still have a responsibility to your lands.” I argued.

“I wish to speak with Kagome alone.” He said to my family. Silently, they left the throne room and I stood there, staring at his shoulder as he continued to hold me against him. “I am so sorry, Kagome.” He mumbled in my ear, running his hand over my hair softly.

“I’m sorry for worrying you. I didn’t mean to concern everyone. I don’t even know what caused my sleep." I confessed “It is alright, Kagome. I cannot help but worry for you. I love you, Kagome.” He whispered in my ear.

“I don’t want to be hurt again. I can’t go through that again.” I told him. “I will never try to hurt you again. It kills me to see you in pain.” He replied. “How can I trust you not to hurt me again? You pushed me away.” I mumbled.

“I don’t know how. Please do not leave.” He muttered. “I need to. I can’t stay here. I have things to do back home. I still have to train Kikyou, Inuyasha, and Shippo.” I argued. “I need you here Kagome. I can’t lose you again.” he affirmed. “You didn’t lose me. You pushed me away. I only came to convince you to live and take care of yourself and your kingdom. Rin is going to go home with my family until you are better.” I informed him.

“No. Let her stay.” He ordered. “If she stays then someone will have to stay here to watch her and make sure you improve.” I stated. “Then stay.” “I can’t. I have to be home. Now that I’m an adult in the youkai world I have no choice but to look for a mate. At least if I do I can keep pressure off of Inuyasha and Kikyou.” I claimed. “Allow me to court you.” He responded.

“How can I trust that you won’t hurt me again? I love you, but I can’t be hurt like that again. Inu don’t mate with onna that are disobedient It’s difficult for me to submit as we both know, considering how our sparring session went.” I retorted. He cringed at the reminder; making me regret bringing it up.

“I don’t care. I love you. I will never love another. I would challenge any male that tried to claim you. I refuse to lose you.” He asserted. “You are still treating me like a prize. I am not”- 

“You are not a possession. You are not a prize in some game. I know that. I have been worrying over you for a moon cycle. Everyday I’ve thought of what we said and what we did. I’ve thought of every way it could have been better; and every way it could have been worse. You must believe me when I say that if I thought I would have helped I would have come to you the day I was informed about your sleep.” He implored. “Sesshomaru”-

“Kagome. Know this. Every day that you try to walk away, will be another day I try to win your heart.” He interrupted. “You already have my heart. It has never been another’s. but I am afraid of it being broken again.” I whispered, staring intently at the floor. His arms tightened around me so much that I was now pressed as close to him as possible.

“Kagome, I cannot… I love you. I now that if you’ll allow me that I can make you feel loved and happy again.” he remarked. “Sesshomaru… I was happy before all of this. When we just simply talked; or sat together watching our siblings play. Even while we were sparring I was happy. Do you actually think that I can feel that again after all that has happened?” I asked.

“Kagome, I know that you can. You aren’t the type of person to give up. I know that if you let yourself that you can be happy again.” he replied. “I don’t know Sesshomaru.” I mumbled. “I do. Trust me as you did before.” He whispered. “Trust isn’t something that is given like a present. Trust is earned. Can you trust me, if I trust you?” I responded.

“I believe that you can ‘earn’ my trust. Kagome, will you stay and consider becoming my mate?” he asked. “I… what if I did? Then what about if something happens to my parents and I have to take over the kingdom?” I mumbled. “Then you will. You can still care for your kingdom even if you are not physically there.” He answered.

“I… I will consider it. But I can’t stay. I have things to do in the east.” I asserted. “You shop?” he asked. “Yes. I have a deal with a shop owner across from my shop in the east. I can’t just tell her that I’m leaving. I have friends in the east. My family will be there and I can’t leave Shippo alone. I can’t just stay here.” I intoned.

“Kagome, if you became my mate, Shippo would become my musuko as well. Your friends and family can always visit. And the shop owner you have a deal with can be moved her, if you wish.” He said. “B-But, I…” my voice trailed off.

“Kagome, I know you’re worried. Please, say yes.” he whispered into my hair. “I… I have to at least go back to get mine and Shippo’s belongings.” I begrudgingly responded. He squeezed me tighter and chastely placed a kiss on my cheek before finally releasing me and pulling me towards the doors.

“When you’re family returns to the east, I’ll accompany you and help you bring everything here.” he declared. He then pulled the door open and I sat that my family, Bankotsu, Myouga, and Rin had been listening to our conversation. The only ones who didn’t know what was going on were Sango and Miroku. “I’ve decided to allow Lord Sesshomaru to court me.” I told them.

Miroku gave me a knowing smile while I fought to breathe when Sango hugged me. She released me a moment later and turned to slap Miroku when he grabbed her backside. He now sported a patented Sango hand print on his cheek as a contented smile ghosted over his face. “You will cease doing that in my home.” Sesshomaru told him. Miroku quickly nodded and held his hands behind his back.

“You’ll never change Miroku. Um… we need to go home the day after tomorrow. I only have one more dress.” I told Kouga. “Alright. We’ll leave in the afternoon.” He agreed. I smiled up at him, and then turned to Sesshomaru. “Don’t think that just because we’re courting that you can dictate that I wear, who I talk to, or how I cat around other.” I asserted seriously.

“Of course not Catrina.” He replied. “I mean it, I- wait… you agreed?” I queried. “Yes, I agreed. I won’t try to control you.” He responded. I smiled at him before kissing his cheek lightly. “Now, we just need to get some food in you. When was the last time you ate?” I questioned. “I believe that Rin’s nanny forced food down my throat last night.” He answered.

“You let her?” I asked “I was unconscious.” He retorted. “Ah, I see. Well, now you can sleep correctly. We’ll not be having any more of this sleeping only when you’re unconscious.” I asserted. “You think so.” He mumbled. “I know so. Or I’ll put you to sleep. You need to be well rested.” I claimed. “You’d be better off not arguing with her, Lord Sesshomaru. Once you begin courting a woman, she becomes the alpha female. She’ll do what she thinks is best for you just as you would her. You should know well the way alpha females think.” Kouga declared.

“Huh? What does he mean?” I asked. “My mother was an alpha female. She used to treat my father like a pup at times.” He answered. My eyebrows rose and I tilted my head to the side for a moment before I pulled my curiosity under control. “It is time for lunch.” A servant called. “Right. Lunch. Let’s go.” I ordered, pulling him toward where the smell of food was coming form.

“Come along, Kouga.” I heard my mother say as she dragged my father behind her. The others shuffled behind them and Shippo made his way to my side. When we entered the large dining room, Sesshomaru sat at the head of the table, and I sat at his right with Shippo beside me, while Rin sat on his left. Inuyasha and Kikyou sat beside Shippo.

Kouga sat at the other end of the table with momma on his right and Myouga, Bankotsu, Sango, and Miroku on his left. Kikyou and momma were beside each other while Miroku and Rin were beside each other. As everyone began eating, I noticed Sesshomaru was pushing his food around on his plate more than actually eating it. So, with narrowed eyes and  a growl about to escape my throat, I moved my chair closer and took his utensil form him.

“You will eat, even if I have to feed you myself.” I told him, holding his food in front of him. When he moved to argue I pushed the food into his mouth. “It would be wise not to argue. She is as strong willed as you are.” I heard Kouga say. He sent a mock glare at me before chewing and swallowing the food. “You will not”- I cut him off by forcing another bite into his mouth.

“I will feed you as I see fit until you eat on your own. I’ll not have you die because you refuse to eat.” I asserted, holding up another bite. “Just eat, Sesshomaru. You know she won’t back down from this.” Rin advised. He sighed in resignation and took the offered bite. I smiled at him and continued to feed him. When he had finally finished his food, I moved to eat my own.

As I lifted my fork, Sesshomaru snatched it from my hand. “What are you doing?” I questioned. “I will feed you.” He stated simply. “I can feed myself just fine. Now give me back my fork. “I don’t think so. You fed me, so now I will do that same.” He answered. I sighed and allowed him to feed me, while doing my best to ignore the others around us.

Whenever I tried to argue or take my fork back, Sesshomaru would send me a glare and keep the fork just out of my reach. Finally, I was finished eating and he stopped feeding me. Everyone stood, and went their own ways. Sango and Miroku went to the library; Momma and Kouga went to see the resident healer to check on the baby; Bankotsu and Myouga went to the dojo to spar; and Sesshomaru and I went to the gardens with Kikyou, Inuyasha, Shippo, and Rin.

While we watched them, we sat under a sakura tree. As the day went on, the small smile that had been trying to peek through was wide as it could be. At one point, I had to stop an argument between Kikyou and Inuyasha, and when I sat back down; Sesshomaru pulled me into his side and wrapped his arm around my waist. After allowing myself to relax, I leaned into him and we say in silence.

A few hours before sunset, I decided I need to know a few things. “Why did you attack the heirs of the north and south?” I inquired. “They hurt and insulted you. I would not allow them to do that. I would never let you be harmed. I love you too much to allow anyone to do that to you.” He answered.

 “So you put the alliances of the kingdoms in danger?” I questioned. “A mere alliance is nothing to your well-being.” He replied. “But you could have destroyed the alliances of the four kingdoms, and everyone would be in danger. I can take care of myself.” I argued. “I know that. I cannot help wanting to protect my chosen mate.” He muttered.

“I understand. But try to remember that I will not hide behind you and expect you to fight for me. I will fight my own battles.” I asserted. “I will try to understand. But you need not worry; the princes are due here tonight so that we can speak. I knew you would not want the kingdoms to break out into war, so I invited them to come here so that I can explain myself.” he explained.

“The-they’re coming here; tonight?” I questioned. At his nod, I jumped to my feet and began pacing. “When? When are they supposed to be here? Why did you tell me? How long are they to stay?” I questioned rapidly. “They are to be here in an hour. I did not tell you because I was too relieved that you were awake and alright. They are only supposed to stay until tomorrow morning. I’d like you to be in the room with me.” he requested.

“I… how do you expect me to be in the same room with them? the both of them insulted me. If they insult me again I will not hesitate to challenge them.” I informed him. “I know that. But they must see that we are courting.” he assured. “Fine. I will be there when you speak with them. But I don’t want the kids near them. If they touch my siblings or my musuko, I will not hesitate to challenge them and tear them apart. They will not harm my family.” I asserted.

“I agree. Come, let’s get them inside; the princes are just outside the castle walls.” He told me. “Kikyou, Inuyasha, Shippo; go inside.” I ordered. “Rin will show you to the rooms you will be staying in tonight. You’ll be in the rooms surrounding hers in the family wing. Choose one to play in and stay there until we come to collect you for dinner.” He declared.

 They did as we told them as we made our way to the great hall. A small table had been set up in front of the throne at the end of the room and the princes were announced just as we sat down. When they entered the hall, I moved slightly closer to Sesshomaru. “Hello Lord Sesshomaru. It is good to- Hime Kagome. You are awake.” Oji Renkotsu exclaimed, surprised.

“Yes, I am, Oji Renkotsu.” I greeted. “Yet you came here in favor of announcing your awakening to the kingdoms.” He claimed. “Yes, I did. I needed to speak with Lord Sesshomaru.” I retorted. “You need not call me lord around them, Kagome.” Sesshomaru intoned, surprising the ojis.

“I know this Sessho. Now, did you not need to speak with the ojis?” I asked, turning to face him. “Yes, let us begin. Please, sit.” He said to the stunned ojis. The ojis sat and stared at me, seeming to be waiting for something. Finally Oji Renkotsu spoke. “Should you not be into the palace of the east, Hime Kagome?” he questioned.

“No, I am not to be in the palace of the east. Sesshomaru is courting me, and as such I am to be by his side. Once we are mated, I will only take the crown of the east if something happens to my Otou-san and my Okaa-san.” I answered him, forcing the smirk I wanted to let out away.

“You would court the Lord of the west, when you have barely spoken with him, but not I who you spoke with before?” he asked, surprised. “Yes, you fool. I knew Sesshomaru before I became the hime of the east. I would never allow someone such as you, who insulted my family, to court me. You are conceited and a child. Sesshomaru never wanted my crown. If he wanted the land of the east, he wouldn’t have to take it by schemes, like you. He has no need to prove himself like that.” I replied, barely keeping the growl that wanted to escape me as I stood to face him.

“How dare you, you insolent onna?” he uttered as he stepped closer and struck me. My eyes narrowed as I turned to face him fully. “I challenge you. For my honor and my pride.” I declared, baring my fangs at him. “I accept. When I win, you will submit to me and become my mate.” He smirked.

“No. you cannot take her as a mate if she loses the challenge. You will challenge me for the right to court her.” Sesshomaru interjected. “Sessho, you promised that you would let me fight my won battles.” I argued. “This is not your battle. I have the right, given to me by you, to court you. If he wishes to court you for the opportunity to mate you; he must defeat me.” he responded.

“This is my fight. I have made the challenge. I will win this fight on my own. Oji Renkotsu, meet me in the courtyard in two minutes, if you do not show, then you forfeit. But know this, I will win, and when I do; my prize will be your sword.” I declared, disappearing from their site.

I stood in the courtyard of the castle with my family and friends to my left. Sesshomaru stood beside them, glaring at me through the narrowed slits of his eyes with his arms crossed. When the oji arrived, just before his time was up, I spoke to my friends. “Sango, on your honor as a tajiya, will you witness this challenge and swear your truth about the winner to all?” I called.

 “I will; on my honor as a tajiya.” She called back. I nodded to her and took up a defensive stance as I faced Oji Renkotsu. Without a word, I attacked; lunging towards him with my sword and my claws. He dodged, and made to slice my arm. Quickly, I jumped back until I connected the branch of a tree. I pulled my bow from my back and quickly strung an arrow.

I waited until he moved to attack again to release the arrow. He moved to the side and my arrow barely scratched his side. “You will have to do better than that, Hime.” He called haughtily. I didn’t respond. He was trying to get me to panic. Without blinking, I hung my bow on my back and pulled my sword free again; jumping to the ground and racing towards him.

“I do not fear you. I know that I will win.” I said simply as I disarmed him and lunged. I saw the dagger he had too late, and turned so he plunged it into my forearm instead of y shoulder. I jumped back, and sheathed my sword when I saw that I wouldn’t be able to hold it. “Seems you can’t us your weapons now.” He remarked, smirking and flicking blood off of his hand.

“I still have my claws.” I declared as I jumped him. We fell to the ground, and I felt his claws make their home in my side. Making sure not to kill him, I forced my claws into his neck and dug my fangs into the flesh on his shoulder. “You will relinquish victory to me, or die. I can easily kill you Oji Renkotsu.” I pronounced in his pointed ear.

When he tried to struggle to flip us over, I inched my claws deeper in his throat. “Relinquish victory or die. Choose now, my patience with the taste of your blood is wearing thin.” I warned him. Finally, his stopped struggling and made a low whimpering sound in his chest. Slowly, I pulled my claws from his throat and pushed off of him, spitting out his blood as I stood.

Just as slowly, I made my way to his sword and picked it up. “Get a healer to fix him.” I called to no one in particular as I licked my forearm. My side was already healing closed and once I pulled the dagger from my arm; that too started healing. “Kagome what were you thinking. He could have seriously hurt you.” Sesshomaru scolded me.

“He didn’t do much damage, Sessho. Do not worry. I told you I could take care of myself.” I argued. “You will not do that again. You are not as strong as him. You only managed to beat him because he was pretentious and did not focus.” He declared. “I am not weak. Do you think I am because I’m an onna, or because I’m a hanyou?” I demanded.

 “I… I did not mean-” “I don’t care. You see? You can’t go one day without saying or doing something like this and you want me to be your mate? Leave me be for a while. I need to be alone.” I said just before I ran from the castle. I ran all the way to the spot at the river where I told him I was leaving.

 I wanted to cry, but I knew I wouldn’t be able to. I sat at the bank of the river and watched the water. I sat there until the sun set and simply stared at the running water.

Hours later, I stood to go back to the castle. I knew I had snapped too easily and I wanted to apologize. I knew he hadn’t meant that I was weak; he was simply worried for me. I heard a rustle of leaves behind me and turned to see Oji Renkotsu just before I felt something strike my temple and everything went black.

End Notes:

Dun dun dun..... Bet you didn't see that coming did you? There's more to come from Renkotsu soon. Hopefully the next chapter will have you torn between wanting to kill him and wanting to laugh so hard you cough up a lung at his sheer and utter stupidity. Anyway, please review and tell me what you think if you can and I guess..... See ya.

Chapter 22 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:
This chapters going to be pretty long. We're getting closer to the end of the story, but there's still a ways to go.

When I woke up, I saw dark walls and felt the cold of the floor I was laying on. “Where am I?” I wondered aloud. “You are in my dungeon. Welcome to the palace of the south; your new home.” I heard someone say. “Show yourself.” I demanded as I jumped to my feet.

“Do not worry my dear. I am right here.” I heard the voice say. Suddenly, a light illuminated the room and I saw Oji Renkotsu on the other side of a cell door. “Why have you brought me here?!” I shouted. “You will accept my claim on you and become my mate or I will kill your family. I am the only one who has the key to the shackles you’re I and no one know you are here.” he claimed.

“How dare you threaten my family? Just wait until I get my hands on you. This time, I won’t allow you to live.” I declared, glaring at him through the bars. “I don’t believe so. You will behave, or your family will pay the price. Don’t want that unborn child of your parents to never see the light of day.” He retorted. I froze; my family could be in serious danger if I didn’t get away.

I sighed; I would have to do things his way until I could find a way out of here. “I will behave. You have the right to court me. Please, show me my future home.” I requested, trying to make myself sound meek and resigned. He smiled, and opened the cell door. I stood beside him, and had to keep myself from cringing when he wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into his side as he led me out of the dungeon.

“This is the great hall. It was designed by my father.” He told me, pointing out paintings of his ancestors on the walls. While he spoke, I noticed that there was a door to the front of the castle from across from the throne. Luckily, he was too dim to take my weapons away from me. Now all I had to do was get the key to the shackles he had on me.

I knew this type of magic. It kept the wearer from being able to use their abilities. I wouldn’t be able to run fast enough to get back home with these on; and he’d be able to catch me. Now all I needed was to convince him to take the shackles off. “Oji Renkotsu”- “Renkotsu, please. We will be mates soon, Kagome.” He interrupted, placing a kiss on my cheek.

I had to prevent myself from gagging before I spoke again. “Renkotsu; do you have a garden? I love sitting in sakura tree branches. They help me relax.” I declared, forcing myself to smile sheepishly. “Of course, this way my dear.” He replied, pulling me to the door that led to the front of the castle.

Once outside we went to the left the straight ahead until I saw sakura trees. When we stepped up to one of the larger ones, I frowned, looking at the ground pouting as best I could. “What is the matter, Kagome?” he asked.

“I cannot jump into the tree. If you were to pick me up, the shackles would affect you as well and we would fall before we made it to the first branch.” I muttered. “That is simple enough to correct, my dear.” He claimed, pulling a key from a hidden pocket in his shirt. He deftly unlocked and removed the shackles from my wrists and my ankles and moved to grab my hand.

With swift precision, I dodged his hand and struck him in the back of his head with my bow. “Foo. As if I would honestly become your mate.” I spat. He quickly fell unconscious and I spun to run away. I was just out of the castle walls when Sesshomaru landed in front of me. “What are you doing here?” I asked quietly. “I came to rescue you.” He answered.

“To rescue me?” I questioned. “Yes you silly onna. I love you, and once small argument is not going to change that.” he replied. I threw myself into him and hugged him as tightly as I could, allowing my tears to fall. “I love you too. I’m sorry I ran away again. Please, take me home.” I said into his ear.

He wrapped me in a hug and we lifted from the ground as he took us to the west. “What did he do? You were only gone for two days.” He inquired. “He tried to force me to accept his claim to court me. He threatened my family. He put shackles on my so that I couldn’t run or fight. It almost killed me every time he touched me.” I cried.

 I buried my face in Sesshomaru’s shoulder and allowed my tears to fall as I let out my fear. “It’s alright, Kagome. I won’t allow him to hurt you or your family.” He promised. “Sessho, I would have been at his mercy tonight. He could have forced me to become his mate and I wouldn’t have been able to fight back.” I sobbed.

“What do you mean?” he demanded. “All hanyou have a time of weakness where we become ningen. Our bodies aren’t equipped to handle our youkai blood all the time like full youkais’ bodies are. My ningen night is tonight, the night of the full moon.” I answered quietly.

“You will never have need to worry about your human night again Kagome. I promise you.” He asserted. “Thank you. I was so worried for you and the others.” I replied. He began a rumbling in his chest that calmed me enough to where my tears ceased and I could think properly.

“We need to go to the east to gather my things.” I suddenly said. The curious look he sent me told me that I needed to explain myself. “Well, I can’t very well leave all of my things in the east when my home is in the west with my mate, now can I?” I questioned. Suddenly, he pushed me out to where he could look into my eyes and studied me for a moment.

“You are sure?” he asked. “As sure as I have ever been about anything in my life; I won’t wait until it is too late. We both deserve better than to wait until it’s too late.” I answered. “We will be able to gather your things and make it back to the castle just after dark by air. We will be wed tomorrow afternoon." He decided.

I smiled and hugged him tighter. It was a few hours before noon now as he turned direction to head to the east. “Is everyone still in the west?” I inquired. “Yes. I asked them to stay there while I went to get you.” He answered. “Good. I need to tell Kirara to go to the west with my things. I want her to make my dress. Before we leave the east I need to tell Ayame that if she wishes to work with me, then she will need to move to the west. I’m going to give her my old house and make her a space connected to my shop if she agrees.” I explained.

 “You generosity and caring heart never cease to amaze me.” he declared. I blushed and buried my face in his shoulder imprinting his scent in my mind. I purred at the combination that made up his scent. “Why are you purring?” he questioned. “You smell like moonlight flowing above a hot spring during a summer night.” I whispered.

“I see… do you know what your scent is?” he asked. “No, I never thought to ask. I can’t identify my own scent like most other cats.” I replied. “Would you like to know?” he inquired. At my nod, he breathed deeply at my hair and my neck before answering. “Like cherry blossoms, jasmine, honey, and cinnamon, hovering in a forest during a spring rain.” He declared, nuzzling my neck. I smiled and relaxed completely in his embrace, falling into a light sleep.

I was jolted awake some time later by the rattling of armor and the clanging of metal against wood. I pulled out of Sesshomaru’s warm embrace to face the guards. “Do not worry. I am here to collect my things. Please send Kirara to my room immediately.” I instructed them.

Their slight, silent nods were all I needed to now they would do as I had asked. With a swift turn, I made my way into the castle, pulling Sesshomaru behind. Finally, after winding through the maze-like hallways, we entered my bedroom to find that some of my kimonos had been laid out on the bed.

 I didn’t recognize these kimonos. “Where did these come from?” I wondered aloud. I shook my head in confusion and began packing my things away. Once everything was packed and being taken to the front of the castle to be put in a wagon, I sent to Shippo’s room and packed his things.

After sending Shippo’s things to the wagon, I went back to my now empty bedroom to get Sesshomaru. “I see you’re back, Kagome.” Kirara said from behind me. “There you are, Kirara. I would like for you to come to the western kingdom with me and design my wedding kimono.” I informed her.

“I would be honored Kagome.” She replied. “As would I, Kirara. Thank you. I would like you to ride alongside the wagon that is taking mine and Shippo’s things to the west so you will get there quickly. I shall see you soon, my friend. Be safe of I might have to teach Bankotsu a lesson.” I told her, smiling when she blushed.

“We still have one more stop to make, Kagome. We should be on our way.” Sesshomaru reminded from behind me. “Alright. Let’s go then. I want to make it back before dusk.” I answered, grabbing his hand and pulling him towards the door.  He stopped me from going any farther just after we stepped out of the enormous doors with a tug that sent me falling into him.

 He caught me under my arms and I felt him laughing through my back. “You are very clumsy, Kagome.” He observed. “Oh yes, very funny. How very mature of you.” I quipped. Before I could stand straight, he pulled my back flush against him and we rose from the ground on a cloud of his energy. “Where is the shop you need to go to?” he questioned.

“It is directly across from mine. Ayame should be inside.” I answered. I watched the landscape pass below us in silence as we continued towards the market. Just as we entered, I heard the whispers of the shopkeepers and the villagers around us. We easily made our way through the crowd towards Ayame’s shop. “Ayame, are you here?” I called.

“Hime Kagome, is that you?” I heard her reply. “Yes I need to speak with you.” I told her, waiting for her to appear. She strolled from a door in the back of the shop and stopped a moment when she saw Sesshomaru before continuing until she was a foot or so across from me.

“Ayame, I would like for you to meet my mate-to-be, Lord Sesshomaru. Sessho, this is Ayame. Now, I remember our deal, but I wanted you to know that I am going back to the west. I would like to keep our deal, but I will not force you. I was wondering if you would like to come back to the west with me, and I will put up a shop for you connected to my own if that is what you wish. It is entirely your decision. I do not wish to break our deal, but if you prefer to be here, then I will honor your wish."

 "It is possible to keep our deal intact even when we are in two different places, but I believe that would tax your abilities too much if I were in a position to need to make a big order at one time. I shall be returning to the west today. But I will give you all the time you need to decide. If you decide to stay, you need only send word to me. If you decide to go, then I will need you to go to my Otou-san’s palace and have Myouga escort you to the west.” I explained.

“I shall need a few days. You will have my answer as quickly as I can make it, Hime Kagome.” She decided. “Very well, I hope to work with you either way; but as I said before, it is entirely up to you. I must make my leave now. Take care of yourself Ayame.” I told her, turning after slightly bowing my head and pulling Sesshomaru behind me.

“Kagome, must you continue to pull me?” he demanded. “No, but it is enjoyable.” I replied, turning to him with a smile. My smiled faltered at the look he was giving me; he seemed angry. I was pulling him around in front of the ‘commoners’ of the eastern kingdom; of course he was angry.

It made him seem like he was being controlled by an onna. I dropped his hand and fell back behind him as we left the market. “I’m sorry.” I whispered, my heart clenching in pain. “Why?” he asked. “For pulling you around. I didn’t realize what I was doing. It felt natural, to show my affection simply by holding your hand. I will refrain from doing so in public from now on.” I responded.

“There is no need for your sadness, Kagome.” He remarked. I nodded and straightened my back and looked ahead of me as we walked. I knew he was angry with me, even as I could feel my natural strength leaving me. I hated becoming human, even for a night. It felt horrible; all of my senses were dulled, I was weak, and my emotions reigned over me even more than they normally did.

Already I could feel tears begging to be set free. “Kagome, why are you so forlorn?” he questioned. I shook my head and continued pacing towards the west. “Kagome, you will answer me.” he ordered. “I am not one of your servants, Sessho. You will not treat me as such.” I retorted. “You are angry with me.” he replied. It wasn’t a question, more like an observation.

“No, I’m not angry with you.” I intoned. “Then what is wrong?” he asked. “I cannot show affection to my future mate. I am an onna, a hanyou onna; we have the characteristics of both youkai onna and ningen onna. We like to show our affection to our mates; in public or private does not matter. But I cannot.” I answered. “I didn’t say that.” he declared.

“You were angry with me. I saw it so don’t try to dissuade me from believing so.” I asserted. “Kagome…” he trailed off. “Do not give me your pity. I do not want it.” I muttered. “I would never pity you, Kagome. You are not one to be pitied. You must understand; I am not used to such public displays of affection. Do not be upset. I did not mean to hurt you.” He stated, pulling me closer to him.

I sighed; we needed to work on our communication. “I know, but please; the next time you feel uncomfortable or are still unaccustomed to the way I act, talk to me. Don’t shut me out.” I pleaded. “I will try. We need to be going. It will be dusk soon. I’ll not have you out in the open when you cannot defend yourself.” He commented.

I frowned slightly, but nodded and held onto him as he took us to the sky. We were covering a great distance like this; far faster than I could have run. I let myself drift into another light sleep as we continued towards the palace.

I woke suddenly, and turned my eyes to the skyline ahead of us. “It’s dusk.” I said quietly as another stabbing wave of pain swept through me. “Are you in pain” Sesshomaru asked. “It’s nothing. I’ve felt far worse than the pain of my change before.” I answered. He hugged me tighter and I felt crushing weight in my bones where his arms were.

“I’m far more fragile than I normally am, Sessho.” I pushed out, willing myself to breathe properly. His arms loosened to bare pressure immediately, and he lightly rested his chin on my shoulder. My eyesight had dulled, and I could barely hear his breath as it passed my, now human, ear. I couldn’t smell anything but what was right in front of me.

I tried to pierce my palm with my claws and came into contact with dull nails. I sighed; resigned to my night of ‘pure humanity’. “Everything will be fine, Kagome. We will be ate the castle shortly.” Sesshomaru remarked. “I hate my human night. I’m so weak. I can’t even defend myself from humans.” I whispered, frowning at the ground below us.

“You’ll be back to normal in the morning, Kagome. Until then, I will protect you.” He asserted. “What if I didn’t turn back to normal?” I queried. “What do you mean? Of course you will turn back.” he declared. “But what if I didn’t? What if my demon half was purified and I was left to live a human life?” I asked, almost worried to hear his answer.

“I won’t let that happen. Even if it did, I would share my lifespan with you. Why do you ask?” he questioned. “I was afraid… that you would turn away from me if I was a full ningen. I’m afraid of this all being some kind dream, that I’ll wake up back in the dungeon and be forced into becoming Oji Renkotsu’s mate. I can’t be tied to someone so horrible.” I muttered turning and burying myself into Sesshomaru’s chest.

“I promise you, it is not a dream. You are safe, Kagome.” He replied in my ear. I smiled slightly before trying, and failing, to stifle a yawn. “You should go back to sleep, Kagome.” He suggested. “No, I’ve slept too much. I’ll sleep… after we get to the palace. I- I need to… put everything… away.” I argued as I continued to yawn.

“Sleep, Kagome. You can put everything away before the wedding.” He asserted. I couldn’t argue anymore. I merely nodded and laid my head against his chest as my heavy eyes slid closed.

End Notes:
Here we are. Like I said, hopefully this chapter has you torn between laughing so hard you choke on a lung or wanting to kill Renkotsu; but also I hope that you like the little bit of angst I put in. There's so much that's going to happen in the next few chapters so I hope you're geared up for it. See ya.
Chapter 23 by Atsuko29
Author's Notes:

Alright... this is the last chapter of the story...

I woke with light burning through my lids. As I became a hanyou again, I felt my fangs and claws elongate, and my ears twitch atop my head. I could hear everything again; see like I normally did, and smell everything around my again. I felt pressure on my abdomen and looked down to see Sesshomaru’s arm wrapped around me and holding me securely to his chest.

“Ugh… where am I?” I wondered aloud. “You are in our bedroom, Kagome.” Sesshomaru answered. “W- what?” I questioned nervously. “There is no need to worry, Kagome. I simply did not wish to lose your company. Even when dulled, your scent captivates me.” he smiled, giving me a slight squeeze of reassurance before loosening his hold.

I turned over on my side to face him, and almost laughed at his disheveled state of his clothing and hair. “You inus and your sensitive noses.” I commented. “Yes, very sensitive noses. I’m curious; how did you hide your scent along with your ears for so long?” he questioned. “The bracelet I broke in the great hall the other day… there was a spell on it.” I answered.

“How did it hide your aura from me that day? I had always been able to sense you before.” He remarked. “I… I amplified the spell. I wanted to… to know what you would say to my family before I made myself known. But I didn’t know momma would ask you that.” I replied.

“It is alright, Kagome. I understand you wanting to know what I would say in your absence. As much as I would like to stay here… you must meet with Kirara to have your kimono made before the wedding. I’ll send the other onnas in when I leave.” He told me. I nodded before rising off the bed with him.

“Sessho, please be sure to send everyone and please distract papa. I know he will stress himself if he’s not kept busy.” I requested. He nodded before leaving the room in search of the others. I listened as he walked down the hallway, making stops at different doors before continuing down until the end of the hall where I heard my parents talking.

I went to the wardrobe and dressed in a robe while waiting on the others. Slowly, the trickled into the room and one by one sat on the enormous bed while we waited. Finally, Kirara entered the room with a large bag of fabric. “Good morning, Kirara.” I greeted.

“Good morning, Kagome. Let’s see; Sango, Kaede, Kikyou, Rin, and you. I see I have a lot to do in few hours. Alright let’s start with you, Kagome.” Kirara decided. “No, fit momma first. I have to put my things away and this will give me the time to do it. Besides, papa will start to stress if she isn’t done quickly, even with Sessho keeping him occupied.” I declared.

She simply nodded before turning to momma. I listened as she fit momma while I put all of my things away. A few times she stuck her with a pin, but only when momma would fidget and move into it. I had one more dress to put away when she finished with momma. I slid the dress into my wardrobe and turned to face Kirara. “Are you ready to begin, Kagome?” she asked, smiling in a knowing manner.

“It’s not funny, Kirara. I’m already nervous enough so can we please hurry. I want to be able to spend some time with everyone before the wedding.” I told her. She nodded and began double checking my measurements for the dress. “You’ll be wearing white; of course, do you have any preferential color for the veil?” She asked.

“I would prefer as close to amber as you can get.” I requested. She nodded and went on to Rin. Taking her measurements was quicker and easier seeing as she was younger than my Okaa-san and myself. After finishing with Rin, she moved to Kikyou. Really, she only needed to do a quick double check with Kikyou and once that was complete she did the same with Sango.

As she made the dresses, I made my pants adjustment to them and even my own wedding dress. Sesshomaru probably wouldn’t appreciate my modifications until our first dance. “Alright. Everyone go enjoy yourselves while you can. The wedding will be just after noon. I’m going to find Sessho.” I told them.

Rin and Kikyou went to find Shippo and Inuyasha in Shippo’s room; Sango went to the library to find Miroku; and momma and I followed Sesshomaru’s and Kouga’s scents to Sesshomaru’s study. “There they are. Finally.” Kouga declared as we stepped through the door.

He hugged me before turning to momma and swinging her around in a circle. “Papa, you’re going to make her sick if you don’t stop spinning her.” I told him. He sighed as he put her back on her feet and I had to smile at how cure they were together. “Kagome, you took too long.” Sesshomaru said in my ear.

I hadn’t even noticed when he moved from his spot across the room. “Did I?” I questioned. He growled lowly in my ear and pulled me back against his chest. “Do not act coy, Kagome. It does not suit you.” He informed me. “Very well. Come; take a walk with me in the cherry blossom grove.” I demanded before I disappeared from the room.

As I suspected, he followed me to the grove before tackling me to the ground. “What did you think you were going to do?” Sesshomaru asked playfully. “I thought I’d make it a little bit farther to be honest. Guess I’m not as fast in a dress.” I answered. “Would you like to have some other clothes besides the dresses you modified?” he questioned.

“No, I love my clothes and they’re fine. I’m just not used to running in them.” I responded. He stood and helped me to my feet before we strolled through the grove. “Sessho, if I was… if I was really a full youkai, do you think we could have avoided all the hurt we’ve been through?” I asked.

“Kagome, we cannot change the past. And I would not want you to be different. You’re perfect just as you are.” He told me. “But… if I was a full youkai… it would be so much easier… I’d really be perfect for you.” I argued. I still had these insecurities. That I wasn’t good enough to be his mate.

That I’d never be good enough. It still hurt to think I wasn’t good enough and that there was someone better suited for him. “Kagome, you are perfect for me. If you were a full youkai you would be different; you wouldn’t be the woman I love.” He declared.

“But… if I was a full youkai… you’d have full youkai heirs as well.” I told him. “Kagome, I don’t care what kind of blood status our children are. They’ll be our children and that means they’ll be perfect just as they are. Why do you worry so?” he demanded.

“I’m just… getting a little worried because of how close the wedding is. I love you and I’m excited for the wedding, but I’m just a little nervous.” I admitted. He nodded in understanding and held me closer than before. “Would you rather postpone the wedding?” he asked. “No. I don’t want to postpone it. I’ll be fine.” I answered.

He nodded and we continued on in silence. Eventually, we decided to sit in one of the trees. When we found the perfect tree, Sesshomaru wrapped his arm around my waist and jumped to one of the larger branches. He sat down on the branch with his back to the trunk and placed me in his lap.

“I’m perfectly capable of jumping into a tree on my own, you know.” I reminded him. “I know. But it’s so much more enjoyable to surprise you.” He shot back. At this, I had to smile. He was opening up so much to me lately. I laid my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes, listening to his breathing and his heartbeat. “Kagome.” He said.

“Yes?” I asked. “It’s almost noon. You should gather the others and begin dressing for the ceremony.” He told me. “Alright, let’s go.” I reply. He formed  a cloud of his energy and took us down to the ground slowly. “I must go prepare as well. I love you, Kagome.” He said. “I love you, too. Now go, I’ll see you soon.” I smiled as we headed off in different directions.

I quickly made my way to the library to get Sango first. “Sango, we need to go get ready. You go get dress as well, Miroku.” I told them, pulling Sango away with me. Then, I went in the direction of the study where I could still smell my parents. “Momma, it’s time for us to get ready. Papa, you should go get dressed also.” I suggested, now pulling both my mother and Sango behind me.

We made our way to Shippo’s room to find the girls. “Rin, Kikyou, Inuyasha, Shippo; it’s time for us to get ready for the ceremony.” I told them. Shippo and Inuyasha left to find the other males, and Rin and Kikyou followed Sango, my Okaa-san, and I to my bedroom. Kirara was at the door just as I was about to close it. “Well, let’s get you dressed.” She says, pulling my dress out first.

After half an hour of them making sure my dress fit properly, the others dressed and my Okaa-san went to see if the men were ready. Momma was dressed in red; Sango was dressed in green and pink again; Kikyou was wearing light blue; and Rin was wearing purple. Momma came back with papa and I knew everyone was ready.

I smiled as we made our way to the great hall and waited outside the doors. Papa was wearing dark brown. When I looked through the crack in the doors I saw Miroku was wearing dark purple; Inuyasha was wearing red; Shippo was wearing dark blue; and Sesshomaru was wearing black. I smiled and nodded for momma to signal that we were ready.

The first to go through the doors was Rin. She was followed by Momma and Papa. Next were Sango and Miroku who were carrying the rings. Inuyasha and Kikyou followed after them spreading sakura petals on the aisle. Shippo took my hand and we walked down the aisle towards Sesshomaru. Once we were at the altar, Shippo stepped back to stand behind me with the rest of my family and friends.

Rin was standing at Sesshomaru’s side. The ceremony went smoothly, and we moved to where we would have the reception in the sakura grove. When we had our first dance, Sesshomaru seemed surprised that I could move so easily. “How are you able to dance properly?” he asked. “I made a modification to my dress.” I answered.

He stayed quiet for the rest of the song. “Are you upset that I modified my dress?” I questioned. “No… I’m not upset.” He told me. “Why are you so quiet?” I demanded. “I am simply enjoying having you in my arms and knowing that no one can keep us apart now.” He replied. I tightened my arms around his neck and pulled him closer so that I could lay my head down on his shoulder.

“I love you, Kagome.” He said in my ear. “It’s strange; this is almost like that story from my child hood. This is my own, messed up Cinderella story.” I whispered. “I would have it no other way.” He retorted. “Neither would I. I love you Sessho. And now; we can start our own happily ever after, because that’s only the beginning.” I smiled.

My family was complete, I had my friends, and now, I had Sesshomaru. My own messed up Cinderella story was complete; and now I could live a truly happy life.

End Notes:

This is the end of the story... I hope you liked it... See ya.

This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2208