Secrets of Heartache by ALittleLissa
Summary: When Kagome catches Inuyasha and Kikyo kissing in the forest, she sets herself over some sort of edge falling into a dark place. Sango introduces her to this field of orchids on the far side of the well, that she immidiately falls in love with. The field seemed to calm her in an unusual way, and soon she finds herself on a quest that she hoped would rid her of her dark thoughts and secret wantings
Categories: Humor, Angst/ Drama, Action/ Adventure Characters: Inu Yasha, Kaede, Kagome Higurashi, Kagome's Grandfather, Kagome's Mom, Kikyo, Kirara, Miroku, Sango, Shippo
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 10404 Read: 39012 Published: 30 Apr 2011 Updated: 15 Feb 2012
Story Notes:

*Rated PG-13 for language and such

I make no guaruntees there are no spoilers, but I don't intend on including any. But just in case you're wary of spoilers, be cautious.

As well, it's not all crazy drama depressing-ness. There is quite a bit of humor jammed in there that particularly doesn't fit, but is always fun. 

**My first fanfiction, so feel free to leave some critisism and help me get better throughout this story. I'm not just writing it for me, y'know.**

1. Chapter 1 by ALittleLissa

2. Chapter 2 by ALittleLissa

3. Chapter 3 by ALittleLissa

4. Chapter 4 by ALittleLissa

5. Chapter 5 by ALittleLissa

6. Chapter 6 by ALittleLissa

7. Chapter 7 by ALittleLissa

Chapter 1 by ALittleLissa
Author's Notes:
This chapter is sorta morbid, in an interesting way, or at least I thought so. If you don't like it, try to bear through it a little bit. This chapter doesn't exactly set the plot for the rest of the story, it just sorta lets you see Kagome slip from happiness, to something else.
That idiot. That stupid, rediculous, foolish, utter, idiot! He always assumes I don't know, that I'll never find out. He takes me for naive.
    I had a hard time deciding what was worse. The fact that he lied and expected me not to catch on, or the fact that I did catch on. Ignorance is bliss after all. Bliss is what I longed for, as well.
    No, it was definately the first one. If he didn't have to make anything up, I wouldn't have anything to catch him with. If I didn't have anything to find, there would be no potential heart-ache later on. Stupid Inuyasha. Stupid me. Stupid, stupid stupid...
    My mind was running frantic. I was so upset my hands had began to shake and my heart was beating dangerously against my chest, threatening to break my ribs. My feet pounded against the floor as I paced quickly in time with the frustration coursing through my veins.
    If only he hadn't told the group he was going to Totosai to get Tetsusaiga rebuffed. If only I hadn't believed it and called him out on it before he left. If only I hadn't stumbled upon him and Kikyo kissing in the forest bordering Kaede's hut. If only, if only, if only. There was nothing left to do but wish.
    Soon, my anger turned into tears viciously flowing down my face in a bitter rage. I fought off the sobs beginning to build in my chest, trying to surpress them. I didn't want to see him, I didn't want to look at him. Not now, not ever. I wouldn't be able to stand it if I would. I would unravel at the sound of his voice.
    I set eyes on the shards of the Shikon No Tama  sitting neatly in their little glass bottle. Even those tiny pink fragments set me off. Looking at the pathetic things sent a wave of anger, and frustration, and, dare I say, sadness. The shards made me think of him. Which was the last thing I wanted at the moment.
    On impulse, I grabbed the miniature bottle and threw it across the room and into my door. The bottle shattered everywhere, the shards scattering and mixing into the broken glass. If I couldn't sense the difference between the fragments, I wouldn't have a clue which was which.
    "Kagome?" My mother called from downstairs, "Kagome are you alright?"
    "Yeah, Mom!" I responded, trying to calm my shaking voice, "Just knocked over a picture frame.
    I held my breathe for four seconds of complete silence. These moments would make or break the chances of my excuse. If she didn't believe me now there was no way to salvage the lie. She would come up here immediately to see my broken bottle. I would be so dead.
    "Alright, dear." She said at last.
    My breath slipped from my lips in a heavy sight of relief.
     Before I could let the glass sit there any longer, I scurried over to the spot in front of my door, and knelt down. I picked the glass shards from jewel shards haphazardly, throwing the glass out of the way, and as close to the far wall as possible.
    Accidentally, one of the shards pricked my finger. I gasped in pain, but soon the endorphins had kicked in and washed away the hurt with a throbbing release. I looked down at my finger to see the little trickle of warm blood flow down my finger. It gently slid down the lengths of my palm, then my wrist, until I grabbed a tissue and wiped the blood away.
    The sight sort of excited me. I had never really seen anything quite like it. To watch blood slowly diffuse from a minor cut was like watching a flower wilt as seconds passed. It was beautiful in a morbid way.
    I felt behind me, searching for the glass I had thrown earlier. Desperately, looking for a larger, sturdier fragment. When I found one, I studied its jagged edges. So sharp. So harmful. So perfect.
    I dragged the glass gently over my wrist, careful not to break the skin yet. The tension in my wrist was growing as I could feel it throbbing from the gentle raking of the sharp edge of the glass. The blood inside me wanted to overflow, wanted to leave my veins and clear my mind of all of this emotional madness. It wanted to be so.
    As time ticked on, I gradually increased my pace and pressure, letting myself adjust to the new sensation of pain that it brought on each time. Before long, I was ready to break the skin. My blood was crying out to me, telling me to free it from its restrictive walls. So I did.
    Before I could gain any common sense, I pressed hard into my wrist, making a clean cut across the veins and arteries. The crimson blood was oozing from the wound, dripping down my arm in a slow rush. It hurt a lot at first, but the endorphins I was craving kicked in and wiped my pain from memory just as the bleeding began to slow.
    The last thing I could remember was dabbing gently at the cut, applying pressure to aid in the stopping of the bleeding.
End Notes:
*There may be some spelling issues. I wasn't always the best with spelling. Otherwise, though the chapter isn't exactly lengthy beyond belief, I don't think it's too bad of a size.
Chapter 2 by ALittleLissa
Author's Notes:
Things are still getting in motion, so not a lot is really going to happen. Maybe by next chapter things will pick up.
    I woke up and pulled my wrist out from under the covers, and gave it a good look. I was suddenly horrified at what I had done. This wasn't where I had wanted to go. Sure, I was distraught and left vulnerable, but that shouldn't have been the result of it. I overreacted beyond acceptance. My only hope now was to hope Inuyasha didn't find out.
    Inuyasha... His face pulsed into my thoughts.
    My heart skipped a beat as I thought of the way he would feel.
    Let him feel that way. After the way he made you feel, he deserves it.
    I shook my head briskly. No. Nobody deserves to feel pain. Not even if they've done something horrible. Although, what Inuyasha had done wasn't the worse thing that could happen. It sure didn't feel great though. A melancholy cloud set in over my heart, pressure swelling in my chest.
    At least I could count on feeling myself come back again. The old fifteen-year-old Kagome Higurashi was returning. She was just caught in a small rainstorm, that's all. She'll come back. She has to.
    My eyes slowly drifted closed again, letting me fall into sleep's glorious dark arms.
xXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX
    The yellow bag I brought like every time, landed with a thud as I threw it over the ledge of the well. Finally back to the feudal era where I can see Shippou, Kirara Sango, Miroku, and Kaede again. Be with my friends in a way I couldn't back home. My friends there really didn't know me. Not anymore.
    "Kagome!" Shippou exclaimed happily as my head peaked over the ledge.
    "Shippou!" I I greeted back with a bright smile radiating over my face.
    My thoughts shifted back to the endorphins I felt when I had cut myself. Happiness mirrored them. I could force a good feeling upon myself without feeling happy. I could make myself feel good no matter my mood.
    I tried desperately to chase those thoughts away. Trying to force all of the thoughts of Inuyasha and the dripping blood from my head before the others caught on.
    Another chorus of shouts came from not too far away as I laid eyes on Miroku and Sango, walking slowly up the path.
    "You left in such a rush last night we weren't sure if you would be back today." Sango said, looking a little worried.
    "Shippou thought you would be back, so he insisted on staying by the well. Good thing he did!" Miroku chimed in, matching Sango's worried tone.
    "What happened last night anyways, Kagome?" Sango asked, her worry increasing.
    "I had just remembered that my grandfather was really sick before I had left last time, and was worried about him." I said, hoping nobody caught onto my lie.
    They all looked very hesitant, not wanting to believe me. It wasn't like the look of trust they had given Inuyasha before he lied to them. Then again he was better at lying than I was, as I knew well enough. When I had left I looked more than a little frantic, and tears were already forming in my eyes.
    "A-alright, Kagome..." Miroku said at last, "Just try and let us know before we watch you run out of the hut with your things in your arms next time."
    I nodded, and put my bag around my shoulders. I was suddenly hyper-aware of the razor I had packed so I could shave my legs. A sick twisted part of me thought that I had only packed it to cut myself more, but my rational side was trying to banish the thoughts. This was becoming an addiction. One I might not be able to shake so easily.
    "So how is your grandfather?" Sango asked politely.
    "He's much better now. My mom said that he'll be out of bed in a week or so." I forced a smile.
    "That's good." I wasn't sure how to respond to that.
    We suffered a long awkward silence on the way back to the hut. Kirara was sleeping next to Kaede, who was stroking her fur gently. Kaede smiled when she saw me.
    "Kagome! Are ye alright? You seemed upset last night." Kaede had the same worry in their brow as everyone else did.
    "Oh, yeah, I'm fine," I said trying to keep my voice calm, "I was really worried about my grandfather that's a-all." My voice broke, giving up the flimsy facade that everyone already thought was fake.
    Everyone looked at me. I could feel my face turning red, the heat burning all the way from my ears to my throat. My body continued to shake and tremble with fear. I was definately found out now.
    "Kagome?" Sango asked, resting a hand on my shoulder to steady me.
    There were stars everywhere. Black litte spots all in my vision. I felt like I was about to throw up as well. I had to get out of here.
    "I-I think I'm going to go take a bath." I announced, hoping that I would calm down in the heat of the water would soothe my rampant nerves.
    I grabbed my back and hurried to the Onsen just past the hut. The farther away I ran, the slower my breathing got. My tremors were slowing and I was beginning to feel better. The nausea was the only lasting side effect.
    At last, I made it to the Onsen, and set my bag down. I closed my eyes as I peeled my clothes off, letting them drift to the ground. The water was so warm and allieviating to my stress and embarrasment.
    Maybe nobody had noticed and I had overreacted again. Maybe they just thought I was still a little worried and that's why my voice broke. And maybe they were all just stupid, too.
    No, they already didn't believe me. The hitch in my voice was an immediate warning sign to a lie. If only I could lie like Inuyasha. He didn't even have to think about it, and lies were flowing from his lips with ease. I wasn't a bad liar per se, but lying was hard for me.
    I sighed, letting the steam surround my face, washing away all thoughts of him. I didn't want to think. I didn't want to feel. I just wanted to lie here, and relax.
    That was until I remembered my razor.
    No. Kagome you're better than this. I chastised myself.
    I knew all about how addicting cutting was. I knew how harmful it was. I knew the risks. I knew it all. But somehow I don't think I care. I felt as if it shouldn't be something to be ashamed of if it makes you feel better. It shouldn't be something you need to hide. But it is, and if I want to continue this, I'll have to cover it up. Somehow.
    I reached into my back, feeling for the razor. When I grasped my hand around the plastic handle, I was ready to pull it out. But then someone came here.
    There was a rustle of leaves and a snap of a twig. Someone was coming near. I couldn't do this now. I panicked and dropped the razor, reaching for my shampoo instead.
    "Kagome?" A familliar voice called into the Onsen.
    I jumped. It was Sango. "Oh, hi Sango." I said awkwardly.
    "Did I startle you?" I nodded slowly, "I'm sorry. I just wanted to talk."
    My body got all twitchy again. I knew it. They totally knew about it.
    "O-okay, Sango. What is it?"
    "Well I figured you could tell me." Her chocolate brown eyes peered deep into mine, searching for some sort of answer.
    "Tell you what?" I was trying my hardest to evade the question.
    "Why did you really leave last night."
    "Well... I-I, I saw..." My words were just a jumble all trying to come out in a rush that none came out at all.
    "You saw Inuyasha didn't you." Her eyes were now drowining in sorrow and pity.
    Again, I nodded slowly. Trying not to break my mask. "Y-yeah. I saw him with Kikyo."
    "Miroku and I saw him as well when we were scoping the area for any sort of lead or dangers that we would need to know about, seeing as Inuyasha supposedly wasn't supposed to be here. We saw him and Kikyo walking around the forest, just sort of talking. Kikyo gave a bitter laugh here and there, but I don't think Inuyasha was all that pleased to see her. He looked very unhappy. Worried, even."
    I sighed. Everyone seemed to be worried these days. About something or another.     
    "He didn't seem so unhappy to me. When I had shown up he had already taken the liberty to plant his lips on hers."
    Sango's heart-shaped face turned ghostly pale. She obviously hadn't seen that part. "I... I had no idea..." Her eyes slowly looked down to the water. She was filling me with more of her sorrow and pity.
    She merged her brows together unexpectedly. "Kagome? Where did you get this?" She touched my wrist where the scab was. I pulled back. I didn't want her to see any more of the sensitive part of the skin than she already had. I couldn't let her know, nor could I let anyone else.
Chapter 3 by ALittleLissa
Author's Notes:
Things are going to start getting a bit more humorous and happier and such from this point on, so brace yourself for my bad sense of humor!

 

 

    I looked down, not meeting her eyes as she kneeled down to face me. I studied the scab and tried to make it appear that I didn't know what she was talking about. I was trying to make myself believeable.
    "Kagome, answer me," She said firmly, "where did you get this?"
    "Oh, that," I said, trying to make it sound like nothing, "I just tripped and fell yesterday. You know, clumsy me."
    I could tell by the look on her face that she wasn't buying it. She didn't believe me. Not that I had expected her to. I mean, Sango's smart enough to know when I'm lying. Then again, most people were. She was just the only one who wasn't afraid to confront me about it.
    To my surprise, she just nodded and accepted my lie. I was dumbfounded. She was one of the last people I had expected to believe me. Sango wasn't gullable.
    "I'm going to head back now," She told me, looking deep into my eyes once more, "are you going to be alright here?"
    "Uh, yeah, I'm okay." I was trying to be convincing, again. I could tell it still wasn't working too well.
    Sango stood up and walked off. I grabbed my knees and pulled them into my chest, closing my eyes. I was listening to the sound of Sango's footsteps, growing fainter and fainter with each step away she took. The sound of the water flowing around me soon took over my ears and I knew she was gone.
    When I reached back into my bag to feel for my razor, I thought about what had just happened. Did I really want to subject myself to these lies, and constant stories? I shook my head. Of course I didn't.  Nobody wanted it, they just sort of fell into it and became trapped into the hole without any sight of a way out.  Unfortunately, I may have already dug my way into it and dove into it headfirst.
    I gripped the handle, weighing out my options. Though I could feel good all the time, I wasn't sure if I was able to control it. I wasn't sure if it was something I was capable of maintaning without huge flaws. Maybe I didn't want to feel good all the time, maybe I just wanted a reason to feel bad.
    As I thought about it, I realized that option may not have been so absurd. I craved the endorphins, and seeing all of the blood drip from my undeserving veins. But at the same time, I was bringing all of this hiding and lying upon myself that brought down my high. Maybe that's what I really craved.
    I looked down at my pink-handled razor. The blades were glistening in the moonlight. It almost sickened me to think like this, but it was a part of myself I couldn't contain. It was now going to be something I would have to deal with every day from here on.
    In a burst of courage, I threw the razor as hard as I could, and watched it drop into the water with a splash. I almost felt relieved that the temptation wouldn't have to be there. Although, now I wouldn't have anything to shave my legs with. Great thinking, Kagome.
    After washing my hair, I felt calm enough to head back. I gathered my things slowly, and dried my skin off. I took my time though, not allowing a single drop of water remain on the surface. My skin was soft, smooth. It smelled good, as well. I enjoyed feeling the skin against my equally soft and sensitive fingertips, letting goose-bumps raise as they trailed.
    As soon as every inch of me was dry except for my hair, I dressed myself leisurely, still attempting to buy myself time. There was still a small mass of fear in me that worried about Sango's knowledge. I knew for a fact that she knew I was lying. I also knew that if she knew something was wrong, she wouldn't hesitate to share it with the others. Though I knew she was only trying to help me, it angered me when people shared something about me. It didn't matter what it was either, it just bothered me.
    I sighed and began to tread back to Kaede's hut. I was feeling different than I had when I had come to the onsen. It was almost as if I had washed away the part of me that craved to have my skin split in allowance of blood to spill onto my skiin. Instead, that layer had left me with a bittersweet feeling hanging heavy on my heart. It was mostly the aftermath of seeing what I had. Mostly being the keyword.
    When I stepped into the hut, I blindly placed my bag and my towel down by my sleeping my bag. I could feel everyones eyes on me, burning my skin with their stares. But I paid them no mind, running a hand through my drying hair. I just had to remind myself to breathe, and breathe deeply. That was the only way I could avoid nervousness.
    I looked up to see that there was nobody inside. They must have all been out around the town or something. A heavy sigh of relief and feeling of stupidity escaped my lips and I peaked my head outside the hut.
    "Hey Kagome!" I heard someone call to me. But not just anyone. It was him.
    Somehow, I managed to keep a cool composure. I didn't show the way my heart felt as if it had just exploded, or that a sudden onset of tears were threatening to build and overflow my eyes. I didn't let anything become apparent on my face.
    Instead of setting my eyes on him, I stepped out of the hut and looked above him so it looked as if I was staring straight at him. I tried to smile, but my face wouldn't let the muscles move that way. That only made sense, seeing as all I wished to do was frown. And cry.
    "How are you?" He asked, in a force of politeness. He appeared to be trying to hide something, though it was no wonder what it was.
    Horrible, absolutely horrible. "Just fine, thank you." I said mirroring his tone. "How was Totosai?"
    "He was about as good as that old man could be. Though I guess if you could measure his happiness by the amount of time he yelled or complained at me, then I suppose he's doing great.
    I managed to choke out a garbled laugh that sounded awkward and stupid. You could tell it was completely fake. The only thing I could pray for from this point was that I didn't cry and lose the little barrier of what was wrong only to myself. That was becoming harder and harder as it felt like my lungs were collapsing from all of the pushing my racing heart did on them. I hoped Inuyasha didn't think too much of the sound of my heartbeat.
    "Are you okay? You look upset or somethin'."
    "I'm just fine." My voice was beginning to sound fake and high pitched. I was blinking trying to hold back my tears.
    "Okay." He shrugged, and walked right past me into the hut.
    My breath caught in my throat as he brushed against my arm. I felt the tears slowly break through my force of trying to keep them from slipping through. Soon enough, there were tears streaming from my face.
    There were footsteps coming closer to me. I shut my eyes tightly trying to stop my tears and avoid seeing who was nearing me. When the footsteps stopped, someone slipped their hand over one of my balled fists and led me away. I opened my eyes. It was Sango.
    She was bringing me further away from the hut, and we were venturing through the forest. There was a knowing look in her eyes, as if she was bringing me to a spot that would help ease my worries. Sango's grip loosened when she realized that I wasn't going to try and break away from her.
    We stopped in a field. There were flowers clustered near the back half of the grass. There were no trees in the middle either, just tall orchids and soft ankle-length, green grass. She let out a happy sigh as she closed her eyes and kicked off her sandals.
    "I come here whenever I get upset with Miroku. Kirara and I lay in the grass and I talk while she listens for hours. Sometimes I don't speak, and we just take in the sights around us. I thought this place would help cheer you up." She spoke gently.
    I was still taking in the sights in awe. The beauty of it was so raw and untampered with, which was so hard to come by in my time. Everything was all buildings and pavement. The only greenery was amplified and perfected in parks and such. This was perfect in an imperfect way. I already felt myself let go of my worries.
    "I understand why you did this to yourself, Kagome," She proceeded, "I've thought about, and even considered, something like that myself many times. I felt as though it was my body and I shouldn't have to worry about what others thought. But I knew how wrong it was to do a thing like that to myself. Because even though I was the only one feeling the cut, I wasn't the only one feeling the pain, or the only one being hurt."
    Again, she had astounded me. But before I could react any farther, or respond, she swept me up in a tight hug. I returned the hug and placed my chin on her shoulder.
    "You'll be okay," She whispered, stroking my hair.
    Somehow, today, right here, I believed that maybe I could be okay.

End Notes:
*Remember, critisism is good. Don't be afraid to use it.
Chapter 4 by ALittleLissa
Author's Notes:
Wow, it's been a really long time, so sorry about that. I was planning on keeping a consistant chapter update every day, but that clearly didn't happen for over a month. Really truly sorry, but with exams coming up I make no promises of things coming out on a great schedule. But for summer, I'm planning on at least every week you'll get a new chapter, so look foreward to it. Back to business, I'm pretty sure this chapter is a bit shorter than the others are, but it's a pretty important stepping stone into the really important chapters coming up and stuff. So enjoy!

 

 

    My eyes were growing to be heavy. Sango had stayed with me for a while before returning to the others, constantly asking if it was alright. Of course, I agreed. The lush grass was enough to comfort me for now.
    Tiredness was overwhelming me. I knew I should head back, but I didn't want to see him yet. I wasn't ready to talk to him, even though my heart had slowed down. It was almost like a foggy state I was sitting in, where I wasn't mad at him, or upset, but I still felt something bittersweet flitting beneath the surface.
    Soft winds were rustling the flowers, the moonlight accenting their petals. It had to be getting very late. If I was lucky, Inuyasha would already be asleep and wouldn't even want to talk. But then again, if he was on edge enough, he would be waiting up for me. I'm not sure which would make me more upset. I'm so silly.
    If he were waiting up for me, I would be mad. I wouldn't want to talk to him, and it would make me have to talk about what's been going. I can't lie to him. But on the other hand, if he had gone to sleep, it would make me feel dejected. It would make me feel as though he didn't even care, or that he wasn't worried enough about me to wait for me. It was a lose lose situation.
    Maybe, I wouldn't even be upset. Weighing out my options now made me feel better. I guess knowing my feelings makes it easier to coast through them.
    I pulled myself up onto my feet, feeling stronger. Yes, I would go back now. I had to, it was dark and dangerous. I was surprised Sango or someone else hadn't come looking for me already.
    My feet dragged along the trail in the way we had come. The sound of my shoes scraping against the dirt and rocks usually made me cringe. To me it was like nails on a chalkboard, or scraping metal. Today it was hardly even a bother. Then again I was exauhsted.
    By the time the hut was in sight, I was already stumbling in jagged lines. I was ready to fall over and sleep where I was. But I knew I had to keep pushing myself foreward, I had to keep going. I just had to...
    The blurrier my vision became, the slower I moved. It was like the ground was shaking me, trying to make sure I was trudging around in a blind stupor. I wasn't going to make it, there was no way now.
    Alas, I managed to stagger in through the entry-way of the hut. I shuffled in loudly, my heavy aching feet practically stomping on the floor. I felt bad, for I was probably waking everyone up, but all I longed to do was close my eyes and sleep.
    Someone caught my arm before I slipped to the ground, but I couldn't tell who it was. My eyes wouldn't focus, and my body was sagging with tension. Their grip was firm, yet comforting. I fell into their arms.
    "Are you okay?" A voice whispered to me, keeping low.
    I was trying to nod, and I was hoping it was coming across clearly, but my neck was so stiff I wasn't sure if it was even moving. I looked up, trying to take in their face, see who was holding me, and all I saw was silver hair. By that mark, I knew who it was.
    In fact, I wasn't as repulsed or angry as I thought I would be. Maybe it was just the tiredness talking, but I was sort of glad. That he was here, and he cared. That was all that mattered at this point.
    Inuyasha swept me up, carrying me bridal-style in his arms out of the hut. I wondered where we were going. Where could he be taking me?
    "I know you're tired, but I think we should talk." He set me down. It was so fast it hardly felt like we moved at all.
    I opened my eyes to see us high up in Inuyasha's tree he liked to sit in. He was being so unusually polite and kind. I guess he was trying to suck up, or soften my feelings. Sango must have told him. That should upset me, or at least it usually does. But not today. I was too calm. This was anger to be felt in the morning.
    "Look, I know you didn't really go see Totosai. I know that you were here with Kikyo." I told him. Or at least, that's what I was trying to say, that may not have been what came out. I sounded relatively strong.
    He didn't look surprised. "Yeah. Sango and Miroku saw me too. I was on my way to see him, but Kikyo stopped me. She managed to rope me into one of her 'talks'."
    It was hard to tell if he was trying to lie or not. As he droned on, I couldn't help but wonder if he was only being soft with me because Sango warned him I was fragile. If she hadn't, he would probably be yelling and fighting with me. Maybe he just didn't want to wake people up.
    "I know you're probably really mad, but in my defence-"
    "It's okay. I'm not mad." I closed my eyes and hid my face in his shoulder. I figured if I did this he would let me sleep.
    "But Sango said-"
    I knew it. She told him. Anger was trying to spark within me, but I was so burnt out I didn't give a care.
    "I was upset before, but I'm fine now. We should continue this later. I'm tired."
    He didn't say anything. He didn't even move. I wasn't sure if he was shocked at my passive-agressiveness, or if he wanted me to sleep right then and there. Although in the state I was in, I wasn't about to hold on for much longer. So I stopped worrying about it, and let myself sleep where we were.

End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.
Chapter 5 by ALittleLissa
Author's Notes:
I didn't really read this one over too well, so I didn't give a crap how well it came out. This isn't too important of a chapter. The next one will be a really big one, so make sure to read it!

   

 

    Inuyasha's eyes were in front of me when I awoke. But not just in front of me, right up in my face. "You up yet?" He asked innocently.
    I jumped back and let out a girly wail. "Well I am now!" I sounded a little frustrated, which I wasn't.
    "I'll take that as a yes." He seemed to be acting himself again. I sighed, knowing what that would entail.
    Sango laughed harshly, but happily behind me. I could hear snorts errupting from Miroku and Shippou too, as if they were trying to hold their laughter back. My heart was still racing from the startlement of being awoken with a pair of golden eyes in my face.
    I stood up shakily, feeling my own laughter building up in my chest. "What's with you?" I asked.
    Inuyasha gave me a blank look. "What do you mean?"
    I exhaled impatiently, a smile still on my face. "Why were you staring at me until I woke up?"
    "Well you told me our conversation would continue later, so I figured it was later now."
    "So you had to stare at me?"
    "Well I had to do somethin'!"
    I blinked. There was no way to respond to that. The only possible response I could give to him was staring wide eyed like an idiot. Watching me sleep must have been entertaining. Either that or it was just something he did a lot. The only problem was that it made me feel weird inside, knowing that if I said anything or did anything, he would definately know.
    He grabbed me by my wrist and dragged me hastily out of the hut. I couldn't even keep up with him. He looked almost angry, contrasting with how he was treating me last night. Maybe he was making up for being so "weak" as he would say. That Inuyasha.
    "Slow down would you! You're going to rip my arm off!" I yelled at him.
    "Then hurry up." Yup, he was back to normal all right.
    We stopped by the well, and he sat on the edge. I was hesitant to do the same. I wasn't sure what he was going to do, or what he was even thinking. He seemed upset, that's for sure.
    "What's your deal!" I was growing frustrated.
    "Keh, I don't know what you're talking about." He wouldn't meet my eyes.
    "You're throwing me around like I'm a paper doll! Why are you so upset!"
    "Because you're hiding somethin'! I know you are, you're a horrible liar!" He stood up, "What aren't you tellin' me!"
    That caught me off guard. I thought Sango had told him everything already. I guess I was wrong. But there was no way I could tell him about anything now. The only things I could tell him were the things he already knew. I couldn't risk getting him any angrier, or he would lose it.
    "Kagome!" I was taking to long to respond.
    "I'm not hiding anything! I already told you everything yesterday! I was upset about seeing you and Kikyo together, and now I'm over it." I tried to turn away, but he grabbed my wrists and forced me to face him.
    His face began to pale, as though he had forgotten I had seen anything. "Well, w-what did you see?"
    "All I saw was the two of you kissing. I didn't intend on sticking around after that, so if anything else happened, I assure you I had vacated the scene before that." I broke his grip and crossed my arms.
    "Look, it wasn't what it may have looked like!"
    "Forget it. I already told you, I'm over it." I began walking away.
    For the third time, he caught my wrist. The skin was still tender from the cut I had made barely two days ago. I was very uncomfortable with him so close to touching the scab. I was still trying to make sure he didn't find out.
    "Why are you so upset?" His tone was beginning to soften, but was still flustered.
    "I'm not upset!" I was trying not to sound defensive, but I could tell it wasn't working.
    "Yes you are. What's  your problem, never mind mine. Sango mentioned somethin' was wrong, and I know that it wasn't just seeing me with Kikyo."
    "Sango doesn't know anything. All that happened was I saw you kissing Kikyo, I freaked out and left. Nothing else happened!"
    He tightened his grip on my wrist when I tried to walk away again. This made me flinch, and it alerted him to something, though I wasn't sure what. I knew it had to do with my wrist. His fingers had already brushed my scab.
    Next thing I knew, he was pulling my sleeve that was hiding the scab up. He was going to see it. I wasn't sure what he would think, what he would do.
    "What's this?" His voice sounded like it was unsure whether to be angry or concerned.
    "It's just a scab." I pulled my wrist back, rubbing the sensitive skin. "When I was leaving I tripped and fell, because I was crying and couldn't see."
    That lie sounded so real to me. It sounded almost believable. But Inuyasha didn't look convinced. He was the expert on lying here, so he could probably see right through me. Though in his eyes, I could tell part of him wanted to believe me, either so he didn't start another fight, or that it would take away the thoughts of me harming myself.
    "Kagome, there's no way you did this by falling. The line is too perfect. Tell me what really happened." His voice was softer now, but it was still loud and harsh.
    I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't know if I should tell him or not. The logical thing to do would to be put an end to all of the lies and fabrications. That I would be better off with him knowing. But logic has a price, and the price would be Inuyasha's scorn. I didn't want to feel dejected.
    "I did it to myself." I mumbled.
    The look on his face was uncomprehensible. It was like he wasn't sure to be relieved I wasn't lying, or upset that he was right. Because I knew what he was thinking, it was written all over his face. He was at a loss for words.
    "Before you freak out, I'm fine now. I've overcome the part of me that wants to harm myself. The morning after I had done it I realized how dumb it was, and Sango helped me resurface. Im fine."
    He still looked like he didn't know what to say. "Kagome... I... I had my suspicions but... Why?"
    "I don't know, really. I was so distraught at the sight of you and Kikyo, that I just lost it. I don't know what came over me, but that's behind me now. So let's please move on." I tried to smile for him.
     He peered deep into my eyes, stroking the still-sore scab. Again, he was being comforting. It was very odd, but it was nice.
    It felt better now that he knew. I felt relieved I didn't have to hide. Though on the other hand, I knew it would all change, and that nothing would be the same, but it was nice to not have to fake it, or lie mediocrely through it.
    I just nodded and began to head back to the field where Sango showed me yesterday. In high hopes, I thought Inuyasha would follow me, and stay with me for a little while. I wasn't sure, but I didn't hear his footsteps and was a little disheartened to know he wasn't following behind.
    When I reached the field I looked amongst the flowers in the brighter, happier, buttery afternoon sunlight glistening through the clearing. I looked back to see Inuyasha not far behind, and my joy heightened. Something about this field, like Sango had said, took all my worries away. I found the spot where I was yesterday, and curled up. Maybe I would nap.

Chapter 6 by ALittleLissa
Author's Notes:
This chapter is a bit lengthy, and involves an important piece of history that will fade into a big part of the story. The history isn't exactly perfect, and probably could use some work, so if there's any ideas for improvement, let me know!
    I looked over my left shoulder to check if Inuyasha was still there. My eyes set on his silver hair, and sighed with relief knowing he hadn't left me.
    Though I had already slept, I still felt sleepy. Maybe this place put me at such peace that it made me tired. Even though it sounded rediculous, it made sense in my mind and I accepted the answer feebly, trying to keep my eyes open.
    Even Inuyasha was sleeping, now. He seemed to be perfectly alert before we got here, but as I laid down and gradually grew more at ease, the drowsier he got. It was this field. These flowers. The smell. Something about it was so calming.
    I touched Inuyasha's arm, trying to rouse him awake, but he didn't stir. That was odd. He always woke up at the slightest bit of movement. I shook him a little harder this time, but I didn't want to have to call his name. If he was genuinely sleeping, and really needed rest, I didn't want to mess with that.
    Instead of persisting further like I wanted to, I stopped. Standing up, I stretched out all of my tired muscles, yawning. Taking in the sights, I felt myself getting light-headed. I was ready to fall over I was so tired. Just like the last time I was here.
    When I looked back at Inuyasha, he was gone. There was no trace of him, not even a mark in the grass from where he was laying. He was completely missing. Maybe he was never here, and I was losing it. I was tired, of course I was losing it.
    I tried to stumble out of the field, toward the path. But I couldn't seem to get there. My feet dragged heavily across the flowers, scraping the ground, but I could only move a tiny bit, if at all. I was growing sore everywhere from all of my half-witted efforts.
    At last, I collapsed back into the grass and orchids, unable to get anywhere. I was frustrated and tired. My only hope was that Inuyasha would eventually find me.
XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx
    "Have you seen Kagome?" Sango asked me, walking into the hut.
    A flash of worry hit me. "I thought she was with you," She stalked off onto a trail after we talked, but I was afraid to follow her. I assumed she went looking for Sango, or maybe to go take a bath.
    "And I thought she was with you!" She was flustered, her face was getting redder by the second.
    "Where have you looked?" I asked, her frustration growing on me.
    "I checked the Onsen, and asked all around the village. I even looked by the well, but there was no sign of her. Maybe she went home. Did you upset her?"
    "Hey! Why do you always assume I did something!"
    "Well there's really no other reason she would leave without checking in. Even then she usually says something."
    "Maybe she had a test and told Miroku or Shippou to pass along the message."
    "No, they haven't seen her either."
    "The last time I saw her was near the well. There was some path she was going down, but I didn't follow her. I thought she was just taking an alternate route back to the hut or something."
    "If you thought she was going back to the hut, why didn't you follow her?" And angry tone was rumbling beneath her voice.
    "She looked like she wanted to be alone! I figured if she was going to go through that much trouble to go to the hut in a different way, she didn't want to walk with me."
    "Well let's at least check there, she might still be wandering around."
    I nodded and we ran from the hut toward the well. My feelings were everywhere at once. I wasn't sure where she would have gone, and if it had to do with anything she told me earlier. I had a horrible gut-feeling that it was about her harming herself, and that she wasn't as fine as she said.
    When we got to the well, Sango asked me where the path I was talking about was. I pointed to the thin dirt path on the far left side that was hardly noticable to the untrained eye. She paled when she followed my gaze.
    "I completely forgot about the field! Here I am getting mad at you when I could have just looked here the entire time."
    "Keh." I was relieved, but I didn't dare say anything. Even though we hadn't found her yet, it was almost as though I could sense her through the path.
    Something was wrong though. There was something off about the atmosphere, and it was coming from that path. It was the aura of a barrier radiating from the trees.
    "Sango, I think there's a barrier protecting the path. It's like someone doesn't want us in there."
    She gave me an odd look as she walked up and stepped a few steps into the trees. I fought to keep my embarrasment from showing and rolled my eyes. She laughed.
    We walked in silence, and the intensity was burning me up. I had to know she was okay. I needed to know she was safe, because otherwise I didn't know what I would do with myself. I promised to keep her safe. But then again, I don't seem to be very good at keeping promises very well.
    The trail led off into a wide open field of colourful orchids and tall grass. Even though the field was large, there was no sign of Kagome. She wasn't laying anywhere, and I couldn't smell her. The scent of flowers was overwhelming, though. They smelled a little odd, almost farmilliar, but I didn't know the smell of flowers to save my soul, so that must have just been the way they were.
    Sango was becoming frantic, running around through the grass, searching desperately. I knew she had the same fears I did, about it relating to Kagome's harming.
    "Sango, come on, let's go see Kaede. Maybe she'll know what to do." I called to her, trying to soothe her mind.
    She nodded warily, and trodded back to my side.
XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx
    The strong smell was making my head hurt now. I felt like I was shaking, falling, even. The ground felt more prickly than soft.
    I tried to open my eyes, but they were stuck shut. I wanted to know how long it had been, and if I needed to get back. The others might have been getting worried depending on how long I had been gone. I would have told them where I was if I hadn't assumed Inuyasha was with me.
    Something was tracing lines on my skin. It was soothing and eerie at the same time. Part of me wanted to believe it was Inuyasha, trying to wake me, or maybe comfort me, and another part was wondering if it was someone else.
    The fingers lacked the callouses on the pads of their fingertips that Inuyasha had. Their fingers were softer, gentler. Feminine, almost.
    "Open your eyes," A soothing voiced called to me, barely audible.
    Suddenly, my eyes didn't feel like they were glued shut anymore. I fluttered them open with ease, feeling how light the were now.
    Taking in my surroundings, I saw roots of trees hanging from above me, and I appeared to be laying in some kind of dirt cave. A girl who looked to be the same age, if not older, than me, about seventeen, was peering over me.
    "I am Hana. I'm the Yousei of this field. Some fields are laced with Yousei remains from when there was a great war  between the humans and the Yousei. Many Yousei were taken down by Youkai that agreed to side with the humans, or some that came just out of pleasure, and their remains sank deep into the ground, along with their powers we used to have a long time ago.
    "Years passed by before the fields rebuilt themselves and flowers began to grow where the didn't before. Their souls became rampant and bloomed into flowers of all kinds before they withered away, once their souls were avenged or put at rest. The only flowers that remained were the orchids, because those were the families who were never put at rest, for they were all killed. Their flames still haven't died out.
    "There is a small village of Yousei near every one of these fields, all across Japan, and the strongest female is appointed to live underneath the field and wait for the 'saviour.' "
    I was very confused. She didn't look anything like what I was raised to think a Yousei would look like. I was expecting her to have wings, and maybe even a wand or something. She was dressed very normal, except her eyes were a glowing violet I had never seen before.
    "I know what you're thinking, that I could never be a Yousei, I'm too plain. But things have changed since they had when the war happened. Not many Yousei were left after the war, and those who were, were mostly weak and had little if any powers left at all. That being said, it was very difficult to pass on stronger powers to the children they were forced to bear, which is why some Yousei are drastically stronger. We can't read minds, or fly, but we can use the elements to our advantage by creating a massive wave, or burst of flame when need be."
    I blinked at her, gaping. What did that have to do with me? Why was I here? I couldn't seem to find my voice.
    "Something's been happening lately with the orchids. There must be a demon that's tampered with them, or maybe a dark priestess. They make everyone who set foot in this field unbearably sleepy after more than a few minutes in this place. The souls above me keep crying that this saviour will come and fix everything for them, but I didn't know what they meant."
    That made sense now. It was all clear as to why every time I went there, I came back so sleepy that I could hardly move. I wonder if Sango had noticed that, or even knew about any of this before me. No, she wouldn't set me up for something like this.
    "And what does this saviour have to do?" I asked shakily, managing to find my voice again.
    "The souls keep telling me that when she sees the shrine, she'll know. I don't understand though, because all it is is a shabby door with small plate in front and a half-broken arrow jammed into it."
    I could tell by her tone she wasn't exactly pleased to be here. "Are you supposed to be like, a guardian to this place? You look so young."
    "I've only been here for a few months. The last girl to watch over this field was here for fourty years before her position was over because of illness. Girls go through training for 14 hard years before finding out who are the strongest of the village power-wise, in preperation for the next person to take over this position. It used to be passed down through one family that usually proved to be fairly stong, but people complained enough and put together this program to make sure it was fair."
    "Why do they need to be powerful, just to listen to souls mutter all day?"
    "Because only those who still hold elemental powers can sense the saviour the souls mutter about. It takes a strong Yousei to recognize the right miko that comes along."
    "So what does all of this mean?"
    "It means, miko, that you are their saviour."
End Notes:
*Yousei- Fairy*
Chapter 7 by ALittleLissa
Author's Notes:
Wow, it's been so long! Seeing as I've fallen completely out of the loop since I last wrote and posted, I used this chapter as foreshadowing and sorta like a gateway and more of a filler than anything else because the next chapter is too long to be clumped with this introduction to the next actions. Hopefully I can try to get back in the swing of things and start posting more than once every seven months!

 


      My head was still spinning at the new information swirling around in my mind.Hana couldn't decode the elder's cryptic hints, and I was sure that they didn't even know what they were saying. All the while, Hana expected me to know.
   
    "Head to the my home village, located in the west. No ordinary traveller would be able to locate it, but being a miko, you should have no problems. The pure light radiating from its borders is enough to guide you through the depths of its forests." I recalled her warning me.
       
    As my feet treaded gently back to the hut I wondered if I should get help, or simply leave of my own accord. On the other hand, I could also pretend the events themselves never occured, and continued on with my life. No, I had to help now, I had promised. I wouldn't break a promise so important.
   
    Frantic voices could be heard in the distance, sounding sort of like Sango and someone else. They sounded angry, and worried. Everyone was so worried, except me. It felt as though the second I could calm down, suddenly everyone else had something to be upset over.
   
    My name was being called I realized, but Sango wasn't speaking to me; she was talking about me. Something told me that my feelings weren't nearly as safe with her as I thought they were. The other voice I was hearing had to be Inuyasha, and there must be some argument over me happening.
   
    Though I felt above my cutting, a sadness washed over me, and took hold of my existance. Sometimes I felt like I caused problems, and I knew disappearing would only cause more, but I didn't know what else I could do. My slow, steady steps continued as I contemplated my next actions.
   
    "Look, I don't know where else to look for her. You can't track her scent, and nobody's seen her, which leads me to believe that your encounter with Kikyou is still bugging her!" Sango's fierce words clipped through the muddled conversation.
   
    "She told me she was over it, so whaddaya want me to do?" Inuyasha, though ignorant, sounded much more caring than he had in a long time. Despite the fact that his words sounded negligent, his voice told me a whole other emotion, another story.
   
    "Inuyasha, you can be so... So..." Her frustration was continuing to build.
   
    "Everyone, settle down. We'll find her soon enough" Miroku's calm demeanor hushed the two of them.
   
    The footsteps led off to where I couldn't hear them. I knew if I were to return now, there would be so much commotion, and clamor, that I just wasn't ready for. My mind was at peace for once, the thoughts were settled. Even my problems and pressing decisions were gentle on my thoughts today. Hana warned me about this, the magick lulling me into a deep and unending sleep.
   
    It couldn't happen, though. I have the powers to withstand curses and strong pain, there had to be a way to avoid this dreamy state I was stuck in. Looking around didn't help, it made me sleepier. Taking in all of the soft glow of buttery sunlight grazing my face, or the gentle rustle of nearby trees. I felt trapped in a dream world, but I had no strength to get away.
   
    Everyone's worries was all I could latch onto at this point to stop me from falling under a deep unconciousness. It took me this long to realize my feet weren't even on the ground, and that I was gazing up at the sky in an awkward position on my back. The sky seemed to spin slowly, as though I was a child twirling as fast as my clumsy legs would allow, and watching the sky whirl around me. Everything complimented my peace perfectly, and I knew there was no way I would stay awake for much longer.
   
    In the distance, there were voices. Faint voices, but they were there. It seemed as they were talking to me, but I couldn't understand them, and they didn't realize who I was. I felt a wall between my mind and awareness, and my senses. Their connections were cut, and nothing from that moment appeared coherent.
   
    Although I felt like I was floating out of my own body, and couldn't destinguish the difference between a dream and life, I was sure this was the longest I had managed to stay awake after this spell. Hana had said something about tolerance, and slipped something into my grip before leaving. Quite hopelessly, I tried to move my fingers and peek at what I held clenched tightly in my hand.
   
    Now that there was a purpose for me to stay awake, my body was beginning to rejuvinate. My energy was returning the colour to my eyes, and the blood to my limbs. After a few moments my fingers began to twitch, and I caught sight of what was held in my right hand. Peering down at my pale, smooth skin, I noticed a darker contrast of brown. An herb, I realized. Yes, I remembered now.
   
    "Boil this in hot water," I remember being instructed, "It's a kind of root, found all over this area. They're called 'Velerian Roots,' and they're supposed to make you drowsy," Hana smiled at my confusion knowingly, "We used this at our village to build tolerance to this sort of sorecery and control, you'd be wise to brew this into a tea and take it once a day and try your hardest not to fall asleep."
       
    How could one teenager be so certain of herself, if she didn't even know what it was I was fixing, or who I was stopping, or why this was happening. Honestly, I felt so lost and helpless. Without my friends, I was pretty much that, and it was futile to do anything more. But, if I were to ask, I would be shot down. Inuyasha wouldn't stop to do any more "good deeds," as he called them, and would be determined to find the shards of the Shikon No Tama. I was certain, now, that this was up to me. His worry would have to wait a little longer, and his precious shards would need to wait until I could return.
   
    Regardless of the fact that I wasn't sure who to trust if I were to tell anyone anything from this point. Usually I'm so honest, and open, but I haven't been feeling like myself these days, and I'm afraid to hide even though it's necessary. I felt that I could no longer trust Inuyasha anymore, notwithstanding the fact that his situation was explained well enough for me to believe him. I said I was okay, but the wound witnessing their kiss left in my heart is still there, and tender. I needed to do this on my own. I needed to fix myself of this dark, and broken person I have become.
   
    The voices continued just as I thought they were going quiet. To me, in my returning drowsy state, it sounded like whispers, but I knew it couldn't have been. Someone, or maybe two someones, was screaming but my eardrums sounded like they had shattered, and no longer picked up the noises that would otherwise be easily detectible.
   
    Arms circled my shoulders, disrupting my crumpled position, and lifted me from the delicate spring grass beneth my body. "Kagome, there you are!" I heard in a chorus of voices as a face was very close to my own.
   
    For the life of me, I couldn't recognize them. My mind was going blanker than it had earlier. Who was I, by now? Was I still Kagome, or had my soul left behind the residue of my body on the Earth? Was this a dream? I wanted answers, needed them, but could barely stand to keepy my heavy eyelids open.
   
    "Kagome, are you okay?" The worry in their voice sounded so farmilliar, so troublesome. "Sango, she reeks of flowers." That's right, Sango. She held all my secrets close to her heart, and helped me recover. Sango, what can I possibly do to help these poor deceased Elders?
   
    "Of course, the field!" Another voice, I assumed Sango's, interjected, "The field always made me unbearably tired while I was there. I always thought that whenever I was upset enough to escape there, I had worn myself out by the time I was calm and would fall asleep. I would wake up soon after Kirara removed me from the field, but there's something wrong with those flowers."
   
    There was something wrong with what Sango was putting together, but I couldn't figure out what it was for the life of me. It made my heart pick up and my blood rush from my face, but I didn't know what was so wrong about having Sango know about the field. At this moment in time, I wasn't sure if my eyes were staying wide and straight ahead, or rolled back into my skull.
   
    "What could a buncha' flowers do to make someone unconcious? And if she made it this far. she should wake up soon, except every time she's comr back from this field, she's out for hours on end."
   
    "I don't know, but we need to get her back to Kaede and to sleep. She barely even looks alive." Sango was right about that, I felt dead already.
   
    The other person with her lifted me all the way from the ground and my vision spun for a few seconds before turning black. All I was aware of now was the bonce in the person's footsteps, and the sound of the grass ruffling beneath their feet. And that's all I could manage to propel me to live.

End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.
This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1951