Kagomne's Qualities by Kittyb78
Summary: A compilation of all of Kagome's strengths and weakness, and her Bio.
Categories: General > One-Shots, General Characters: Kagome Higurashi
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2189 Read: 1947 Published: 21 Jul 2010 Updated: 21 Jul 2010

1. Kagome's Qualities by Kittyb78

Kagome's Qualities by Kittyb78

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or anything affiliated with it, which belongs to the talented Rumiko Takahashi. I have gathered and put together this entire compilation.

A/N I'm often asked, "Why Kagome What is so special about her?" So, I've compiled a list of why, and everything about her. Please enjoy, and let me know what you think? This is where I will dedicate the entire page to Kagome. Her weaknesses, strengths, ect.

This info comes from the Inuyasha Companion itself:

After falling through the well, Kagome finds herself in the Warring States Era of feudal Japan. Scared and alone, Kagome is attacked by demons who are seeking the Shikon Jewel inside her stomach. Kagome soon learns that she is the spitting image of a miko that once lived in a nearby village named Kikyo. This woman fell in love with Inuyasha, a half demon, before she was murdered by Naraku after believing she was betrayed by Inuyasha. It is Kagome that frees Inuyasha after finding him pinned to a tree with by an enchanted arrow.

Kagome and Inuyasha's relationship gets off to a very rough start. Kagome reminds Inuyasha of Kikyo, the woman that cast the spell on him, and with whom he was in love. Later, much to Kagome's surprise, everyone learns that she is in fact the reincarnation of Kikyo. Throughout their adventures, the two become closer, but once Kikyo is resurrected by Urasue, their relationship falters while Inuyasha tries to sort out his feelings for Kikyo. Kagome is often frustrated by Inuyasha's fickleness, which has often caused a rift in their otherwise close relationship. Kagome is one of the only people that can check Inuyasha's ego when he gets carried away. Thanks to a magical rosary around his neck, Kagome is able to force him to the ground by shouting "sit!"

Initially Kagome is rather helpless in combat, and it is her stray arrow that strikes the Shikon Jewel and causes it to shatter. However, she quickly improves her archery skills and becomes an important asset to the team on the battlefield. She is able to endow her arrows with an immense spiritual power that purifies demons out of existence, as well as clearing Naraku's poisonous miasma. Kagome also makes use of her abilities to return to modern Tokyo, and brings back bandages and antiseptics to treat the wounds suffered by her friends in battle.

Although Kagome's relationship with Inuyasha has its ups and downs, she remains very close with her other travelling companions- particularly Sango. Kagome tries her best to encourage Sango and Miroku's budding romance, and shares in Sango's frustration over Miroku's wandering eye. Her interactions with Kikyo, her rival for Inuyasha's affections is very strained. Kagome has tried to be civil towards her, but Kikyo's icy demeanor has ensured the two remain distant.

The Meaning behind the Name

Kagome means "woven bamboo pattern" in literal translation. It seems that the name came from the principles of Yin and Yang, but because she writes her name in hiragana rather than kanji it is difficult to discern. Higurashi is written with the characters for "day" and "to make a living". No real pun there; it's just a normal Japanese family name.

Below is what I've compiled myself:

Name: Kagome Higaurashi

Occupation: School girl, and priestess in training

Gender: Female

Age: 15

Race: Human

Weapon: Bow and arrow (sacred arrows) Spiritual powers

Abilities: Can sense the jewel shards and can activate the Subjugation beads.

Hair: Black, mid back, and straight.

Eyes: Brown

Height: About 5'1

Weight: 109 lbs.

BIO:

Kagome Higurashi was just a normal teenage girl living in Tokyo at the Sunset Shrine in the year 1997. Then, on the day of her fifteenth birthday, she stumbles into an old well on the shrine that her family cares for. A grabs her and demands that Kagome give her the Shikon Jewel. Having no idea what the demon is talking about, she panics and somehow emits a purple light from her hands that appears to kill the demon.

After climbing back out of the well, she sees that she is in a forest. Running to where her house should be, she finds a tree with a boy pinned to it. Then villagers from a nearby village attack her thinking she is a shape shifting demon. The priestess of the village, notices that Kagome strongly resembles her dead sister.

During their conversation, the demon attacks again. Kagome runs to the tree that the boy is pinned to, and after being injured by the demon, she releases the boy. The boy immediately demands that she hand over the jewel. By this time she arrives and places a magical necklace on the boy that will immobilize him when Kagome says the word "sit". Kaede explains to her about the boy, Inuyasha, and how he was pinned to the tree. She also concludes that Kagome is the reincarnation of Kikyo.

Later on in the day, the jewel is stolen by a crow demon and is shattered into many pieces which become scattered all over the land. Being the reincarnation of Kikyo, Kagome is also blessed with a sixth sense enabling her to find the jewel shards. She has also seemed to inherit some of Kikyo's archery skills, though her powers are still seriously under-developed.

General Info: Fun-loving, childish, loyal, and trustworthy, compassionate, forgiving, kind, protective, and willing to do anything for those she loves. Has a habit of 'sitting' Inuyasha into a crater. Also bear in mind she too is still growing up.

Now for her weaknesses and strengths:

Complaining/whining:

Okay I'll admit she does it a lot but come on people, if you were a modern girl, used to subways bikes and cars, then got transported to somewhere they never existed and had to start walking everywhere; your muscles would protest pretty fast! She's not used to all that strenuous exercise, which it takes time to accommodate too; not to mention all the severe muscle cramps that would occur. I myself hike during the summers and even I would be hard pressed to keep up with all that walking. And we all know that Inuyasha wouldn't slow down and let her adjust to it easily, so who wouldn't complain?

Being weak/missing shots:

Physically maybe, and we've already covered why, but not in any other way. She's the reincarnation of Kikyo, the most powerful priestess since Midoriko herself. Also Kagome is still training to become a priestess, she's not being allowed to learn at an easy pace either, it's all being crammed on her at once, life or death situations. Again without the proper time to prepare, who wouldn't be missing a lot of times until they grew used to things? Who wouldn't become frustrated by everything she get put through?

Wanting Inuyasha's love:

No one can ever help falling in love, you don't get to chose who with either, it just happens. What girl doesn't yearn for her heart's desire, to return those feelings? She understands Inuyasha and Kikyo's past, and has accepted it. BUT should that stop her from loving him, and wishing to be loved by him in return?

Warm heart and Compassion:

Kagome by far is the most compassionate and understanding person in the entire series. She knows and accepts Inuyasha's feelings for Kikyo. She knows and accepts that he will never forget Kikyo, and still she stays by Inuyasha, accepting only friendship, even though her heart desires him, she tries not to hold it against him or Kikyo. But like any human being she feels hurt and betrayed when he goes to see Kikyo, in Kagome's place, wouldn't you? I know I would.

Her warm heart allows her to overlook everyone's flaws, and accept them for whom and what they are without question. That's something Kikyo could never do, she expected Inuyasha to become a human for her- that's pretty selfish, don't ya think? Kagome, accepts Inuyasha just as he is, despite all the hurt and suffering he causes her. Which takes me to the next one-

Forgiveness:

Kagome constantly forgives Inuyasha for hurting her, once she gets over being angry. Again she's the most forgiving person in the series. She forgives Koga for kidnapping her, Miroku for being a lech, and still takes up for them. On top of all of that she is constantly forgiving Inuyasha for hurting her even unintentionally. Her compassion and forgiveness are remarkable.

Kindness:

Her kindness shows through again and again, first with Inu, then with Shippo. He's still a child and all alone in the world, yet she takes him in and basically treats him as if he were her own child. How many people would do that for a demon, especially being a holy person? Not many! Kikyo wouldn't have. {that's yet another page}

Inner and emotional strength:

Kagome's one of the strongest characters emotionally, she'd have to be to tolerate everything she's put through whether intentional or not. In fact whether people want to admit it or not, she is the glue that holds the Inutachi together. If not for her Shippo would have either been dead long ago or on his own facing the world with no love or guidance. Sango would have stayed only because she wants to destroy Naraku and knows he will come after Inu and the shards. Miroku wouldn't have stayed had it not been for Kagome either- and no one can deny any of that. It is because of Kagome's kind and forgiving nature that any of the Inutachi stays.

She'd have to be pretty balanced emotionally to tolerate everything as well as she does. Anyone put in her place, would sit Inuyasha if they could, for him treating her so harshly. Think of all the times he speaks without thinking, and all the times his running off to Kikyo has hurt her, yet he forgives him, and tries to see his point of view as well, that takes one helluva lot of emotional strength.

Protective and self sacrificing:

Kagome is extremely protective of those she loves and she proves time and again, by facing no win situations, just to protect them. Like with Shippo and the thunder brothers. She didn't think twice about shooting Manten to spare Shippo. She didn't think twice about helping Inuyasha against Sesshomaru in the beginning even. She's always putting everyone else ahead of herself, battle or otherwise. She goes out of her way to please others. Like any human, when she's had her fill of Inuyasha hurting her, and insulting her, she explodes, again, wouldn't you?

Feistiness and Courage:

Kagome is pretty laid back most times, but like all humans, she has a temper. She's very spirited or feisty, and when she loses her temper it shows, usually in the form of Inuyasha becoming embedded in a crater. You can't fault her for having a temper, it normal and all humans have one. No one can deny her courage when he loved ones are threatened either. She blatantly insults Bankotsu when she calls him a coward, while she's sticking up for and protecting Inuyasha {When she shot a sacred arrow to protect Inu from Ban} She sends Shippo off alone and stays behind with Koga when he kidnaps her{again sacrificing herself} and after listening to the wolf demon's plight, agrees to help them against the Birds of paradise.{compassion}

Friendly:

She is naturally a friendly person. Even after Koga kidnapped her, she befriended him. Same with Miroku. She befriends Ayame, despite Ayame's jealousy. She befriends Inuyasha, and even tries to befriend Kikyo, and refuses to allow Kikyo to be harmed. No one can deny those either- again if you need 'proof' re watch the anime. She cooks special meals just for her friends, as a show of friendship and kindness as well. Despite not wanting anything more than friendship with Hojo, she tries really hard not to hurt his feelings. {more compassion}

Now for some of the more serious weaknesses:

First of all, while compassion and forgiveness are good strong points, they can also be weak points. Sometimes she is too forgiving, and too compassionate, thus why she ends up being hurt so much by Inuyasha. If she really wanted to, she could stop it by not trying to understand his and Kikyo's sides. She needs to be a little sterner with Hojo and gather enough courage to tell him only friends, nothing more, but she's too concerned with not wanting to hurt his feelings. She needs to accept that Inuyasha will never see her as a love interest and move on to find someone else who will and can see her for the beautiful courageous loving woman she's growing into. She's the only one in the series who deals with so much BS and still stays sweet.

In conclusion I again urge you to look deeper, before writing her off as a sniveling weak girl. Put yourself in her shoes, and see if you can't understand her a little more.

This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1787