(It Almost Was) Over by NameOnTheSpine
Summary: Short story about an event that was described in detail in the anime/manga. A bit more simplistic, drabbely and emotion-y. Also fills in a few gaps in time.
Categories: Drabbles, Angst/ Drama, Romance Characters: Inu Yasha
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 546 Read: 1994 Published: 04 May 2010 Updated: 04 May 2010

1. (It Almost Was) Over by NameOnTheSpine

(It Almost Was) Over by NameOnTheSpine
Author's Notes:
~~~A/N: I don’t truly know what I did, but I’ll translate, ja? Third-person narrative is in simple non-bold-nor-italicized-lettering. Kikyou’s POV is in italics, and it is simply what happens to her, in raw emotion. The same for Inuyasha, only his is in just bold. I’m posting this as more of an experiment. Please tell me what you think! I don’t own Inuyasha. This is completely un-beta’d. And we all know how well my un-beta’d stuff is :/~~~

She saw him running, flashing flying. 

Can I do this? 

The jewel was perilously in his claws. She is a priestess. She forgives. 

Betrayal, betrayal, betrayal. 

Her heart thudded with uncertainty. 

I have to. 

She pulled the string back taut. Whatever else she did, she’d always feel safe with a taut bow, and her powers flowing. 

Release it. 

“Inuyasha!” She cried, it was too strong to be a sob, too sad to be a shout, but the dog heard it. 

Kikyou. 

He stops, hearing her scream of torture and anger. He hears it too late.

 

It’s over, it’s over, it’s over . . . 

 

She feels as though she is vomiting, but it’s a hacking sob as she falls to her knees, half dead. 

 

He’s over. 

 

“Burn it with me,” she manages to her younger sister. Her eyes flash curiously, naively. Disbelievingly. 

 

I’m over. 

 

She’s already dead when she burns on the pyre, but her soul is only too alive. 

 

Kikyou? 

 

She wanders the After World, searching for him.

 

“My love, where are you? My love, my love, my love! There is no jewel here, Inuyasha! Come out! . . . Inuyasha . . .?”

 

He sleeps, waiting. He dreams of her. 

Kikyou! Please, Kikyou . . . 

“Where are you, my love? I need you! You are all I am here for!” 

Kikyou . . .why can’t I wake up . . .? 

Inuyasha, save me! Resurrect me! End my pain! 

Kikyou! You bitch, why did you abandon me! 

It burns, oh, my love, it burns . . . Do you hate me so much as to burn me here? . . . It was my duty, I’m sorry! Please, stop the burning . . .

 

The years pass, as the lovers are blind to the world. They wait fifty years, in specific layers of torture. 

 

Kikyou . . . I can feel you . . . Come for me, woman. Come back to me . . . my woman. 

 

Kagome felt his ears, the reincarnation loving them as much as her former life did. 

 

Kikyou . . . It’s you . . . Free me. 

 

Why must I bear witness to this, my love? Die and ascend to me! Come, for I have waited too long, Inuyasha!

 

Kagome smiled as she turned to walk away. Hours later, she was not smiling as she clung to the same boy with all her might. The ivy itched and he was still unconscious, yet she griped the arrow. 

Thank you, Kikyou. Now, tell me, why did you shoot me? Did I love you too much? 

She cannot do that! Inuyasha, say you love me! Say your mine! Say I’m yours! Inuyasha? Please, my love, my only love, my life, my reason. Please. Inuyasha!

The arrow dissolved in Kagome’s hands, and she gazed into Inuyasha’s eyes curiously. 

Thank you, my love. I am awake. And now, you die. I’ll see you in the next life, you heart-crushing witch. 

Why, my love? How could you, my Inu? My . . . my . . . hatred! You will burn, Inuyasha! You’ll feel my pain, my love. I’ll be sure. You are killing me.

 

Kikyou? You look like a whore, Kikyou. Where is my priestess? Where are you? She smells like you, but where are you Kikyou? Did you bleed away? Kikyou, come back! 

And, they spent the next few years wishing and waiting for their happy ending. 

(They Wish It Was) The End.

End Notes:
Thank you for reading!!! And, if anyone could tell me how to list multiple characters that heren't next to each other, that'd rock.
This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1714