Waiting at the Coffee Shop by Trynia-Merin
Summary:

Rin is a Barista at a coffee shop many demons frequent, but Sesshoumaru thinks she should be working for Tenseiga Corporation instead?


Categories: Romance, Romance > Sesshoumaru/ Rin Characters: Kohaku, Rin, Sesshoumaru
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 3644 Read: 2397 Published: 09 Mar 2010 Updated: 09 Mar 2010
Story Notes:

This fic was inspired by a Sesshoumaru x Kagome fic called In the Elevator at http://www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/47/1 by Sweetest Angel, and its sequel In the Office http://www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/1891/1 .

Disclaimer: Rumiko Takahashi created and owns Inuyasha, I don't. The anime and manga are licensed by Viz. I make no money writing this story. Rin is 21 in this fic, and it takes place in the modern world.


1. Chapter 1 by Trynia-Merin

Chapter 1 by Trynia-Merin

“Barista wanted” was the sign that drew the 21-year-old young woman to this place.  Originally it had started as a part time job where she worked from four to eight to bring in extra cash, and act as a stress relief from her primamary office job at the Tenseiga Corporation.  Slender and petite, she wore her hair long with only a few pieces fastened in a ponytail to one side. Rin spent an entire two week of pushing the cup under the espresso machine after loading a pod into its front. Cranking out the liquids that came out of the guts of steaming hissing machines.  

When this one could be working in an office, Rin reflected. In the polished side of one machine, she glimpsed the other black aproned employees with their dusky red shirts and black pants. Everyone wore visors or baseballs caps with the coffee house's logo.  

 

Moonlit Mountain coffee shops were springing up everywhere. In the middle of the city, one sprang that catered to dozens of college students and businesspeople at all hours of the day. Rin nervously glanced around her trying to screen out the spirit energies of any demons.

 

So far today only ten. One of them was a vexed businessperson who always came here at ten AM was making her way through the line.   The feather pin in her hair gleamed an ivory color, her reddish pink eyes fixing on Rin with recognition.

 

Rin smiled asking, "What will it be, Kagura san?"  

 

"The usual, Rin. Cappuccino with skim milk, and vanilla syrup," the executive, whom Rin had come to know through her polite smiles and patient serve, requested.  

 

“Coming right up, Kagura san,” Rin said, nodding as she moved off behind the row of machines behind the counter. She lined up the paper cups with the receipts taped to them, assembly line style. Behind her in the line, the college student with his messenger bag wanted something vastly different. A chai tea.  

 

More than a month ago, Rin was on the other side of the counter. Selecting coffee drinks with cinnamon that her budget could afford. Unfortunately, fate had other ideas. She had been filled with such hope after landing a dream job in an office on the 10th floor of a tall skyscraper only three blocks away. Naturally, Rin excitedly had announced to Kagome, her roommate, that she had the job.

 

On the first day she was supposed to start, Rin had lasted barely a day. Kagome convinced her to go back and try again, to give it a second chance. So she had, almost ready to punch a wall some nights, while crying silently in her own room on the last week.  In an effort to find another way to keep hersef busy she searched for a second job.   

 

Desperate to find something different she had seen the help wanted sign, and shyly asked to speak to a manager. Fortunately, Kohaku was an old high school friend, and quickly offered her a job once he had heard her situation. He said it was a part time that had the possibility of becoming full if circumstances worked in her favor.   Finally, she could take it no more at her primary job.

 

Her immediate supervisor liked her work, and had spoken to the instigators: Ayame, Byakuya, and Hakudoshi. The teasing had ceased, yet strange inexplicable accidents had grown steadily worse. Every day she had to work directly with the president of the company, Sesshoumaru Taisho because she wrote his reports and perused his documents for any errors. Her other main duty was compiling the documents and proofreading them for the rest of Sesshoumaru's department for financial affairs.  

 

On the Friday of week three, she barely lasted the day before fleeing to the cafeteria. The HR representative was off for the day, and she had no one to turn to. Sesshoumaru had asked her if she was all right, and then recommended she take the rest of the afternoon off to calm down. Instead of returning, Rin had taken most of her belongings that mattered and rushed out the door. She spent most of that time in this very coffee shop working hard, struggling not to cry.  

 

Spirit pressures from the many demons who worked for the firm had overwhelmed her along with their constant taunting. Using their energies alone they would assault her so she was forced to constantly put up her own barrier. She, one of few humans actually had threatened a nest of insecure demons. Rather than stay and take their abuse, Rin ran.  

 

Was this one a coward? Rin had fired off a letter to the one who gave her the job, citing 'personal crises' as a reason she could not remain. Once she left, she knew that she had burned a bridge.  

 

The fulltime job Kohaku then offered seemed a lifeline and Rin took it that very day. Granted the work paid only a third of what she could have pulled in from the editor's job, but it was safer. The last thing she needed were dozens of demons hounding her ass day in and day out.   Such a job was still close enough within walking distance of the subway station that she took to the section of the city where she lived. Yet far enough from the nexus of demon concentration where she would have worked.

 

Rin thought she was a coward, but being shuffled from foster home to foster home and needing to live on her own pushed safety before ambition.   This was why the patron standing in line five customers down from Kagura sent shivers down her spine. First by his ominous spirit presence that other demons and sensitive could feel, tightly reigned in. Rin's fellow worker Yuka nudged her towards the patron because Eri and she were already busy.  

 

Long silver hair spilled down his back bound in a single ponytail at the nape of his neck. Visible only to humans the twin stripes on his left cheek mirrored those on his right. Rin fought to keep the nervousness from knocking her knees together when he glided into view. Intense gold eyes only widened a fraction of an inch peering down at her. When her brown eyes met his, she calmly asked, “Can I help you?”  

 

“Espresso, double shot, Rin,” the navy blue suited executive rumbled. “And an explanation.”  

 

“Coming right up, Sesshoumaru-sama,” Rin cheerfully chirped, though she knew she was busted. Her cheerful smile was a well-crafted façade for the worry she felt inside.   He waited at the counter intently, checking his cell phone.

 

She almost stumbled over her co-worker Eri whispering, “He's so cute! Way to go girl!”  

 

“It is not what you think,” Rin insisted almost spilling the great demon's drink. Neither of her friends could see the crescent moon on his brow, or the markings that denoted his lineage: The Taisho clan.   Very influential in the business world, and quite powerful. Attracting many suitors and hangers on. Rin's hand held out the beverage, and his clawed one wrapped around hers possessively. “Your drink sir.”  

 

“You will see me when it is first convenient,” Sesshoumaru whispered, in a tone she could hear.

 

 “I have to work,” Rin answered firmly. “I cannot until my next break.”  

 

“You have responsibilities elsewhere,” Sesshoumaru continued, still holding her hand. “Not here.”  

 

“Rin!” yelled the manager. She tried to pull her hand free.  

 

“I will wait,” Sesshoumaru whispered, squeezing her hand. He removed the drink with his other stiffly, and then raised the hand he still held to his lips to kiss it lightly. Since there were too many eyes on him, this seemed to amuse and mollify the curious onlookers.  

 

“Rin, staff the takeout window!” Kohaku asked seriously.  

 

“Right away!” she apologized, breaking away. Sesshoumaru frowned intently. She should not be here in such a common place. No, she belonged in the office he had shown her to, behind that computer working on the monthly statements. Not serving up lattes for thankless patrons.  

 

“I wish to speak to your manager, Rin,” Sesshoumaru said sternly.  

 

Worriedly Kohaku spun around, hearing those fateful words. Coming up to the counter he asked, “Can I help you?”  

 

“Yes. I will wait while you have a moment to speak to your employee. I require an explanation,” said Sesshoumaru.  


 

 

He waited patiently, opening his net book computer he retrieved from his bag when Rin meekly exited. Behind her, the manager Kohaku looked at Sesshoumaru quizzically.  

 

“I'm to understand that Rin delayed in getting your drink?” he asked.  

 

“I have no complaints. Her service was satisfactory,” said Sesshoumaru.  

 

“So you've no complaint?” asked Kohaku.  

 

“I will compensate her for lost wages. I simply wish to speak to Rin. Considering it is her break, is it untoward for her to spend it with a patron who is an acquaintance?” Sesshoumaru asked.  

 

At that moment, Rin exited the counter area, curious to know what was going on. “Kohaku, can I take my break now?”  

 

“You two know each other?” Kohaku asked protectiveness in his eyes.  

 

“We used to work together,” Rin admitted, her face flushed with embarrassment.  

 

“I see, well I suppose I can let her have 15 minutes to speak to you, if it's… catching up on something personal, but I really shouldn't,” Kohaku relented.  

 

“Thank you,” Rin said, smiling warmly at him.   “I'll pay for any lost time if it takes longer,” Sesshoumaru said.  

 

“Over there,” Kohaku whispered.

“Just don't take forever Rin. I'm bending the rules as it is.”  


 

Once they were seated in a less obvious place out of sight of the others, Sesshoumaru sipped his espresso and regarded Rin without speaking. She fidgeted with her hands in her lap as nervous as the day of the interview. However, she relaxed when she continued to sit in his presence. He had actually sought her out when he could have ignored her.

 

 “I'm sorry I gave no two week notice,” she said, reaching for the transparent plastic cup holding lemonade. As she took a sip, the slices of lemon wobbled a bit amidst the ice.  

 

Sesshoumaru kept his voice at a low volume, yet looked directly at her when he asked, “Rin, what is the meaning of this? You put in hardly a month's work and go missing for an entire week after that. After I approved you to work for my firm nonetheless. You denied me the common courtesy of a two week notice?”  

 

The barista hesitated, searching for the right words. She finally said, “I had… extenuating circumstances.”  

 

Now Sesshoumaru folded his hands on the table in front of him, leaning forwards. He firmly said, “You are qualified for the position, are you not?”  

 

Her stomach flipped over at his earnest gaze. Now she felt like a guilty child who had run away from school and was in the principal's office. Hesitantly she stammered, “I know but… it just won't work out.”  

 

“Rin, I simply want to know why you did not follow protocol. If you come back to work for me today, I'll reinstate your position, and forget about your untoward leave of absence,” Sesshoumaru said quietly.  

 

“I am sorry but I must decline your offer milord,” Rin said, her hands shaking.  

 

“I don't take kindly to my employees backing out of a commitment to work for me. Do you realize I have to find another candidate to take up the work you started?”  

 

“I can't go back there, Sesshoumaru-sama,” she whispered. “I am sorry I embarrassed you or accepted a job that I couldn't carry through on.”  

 

“I realize you have privacy in whatever reason you have to leave if it's personal. Yet citing irreconcilable differences in a letter is misleading. Was it a work related dispute that I could have resolved?” Sesshoumaru frowned.  

 

Rin nodded. “I had a dispute with a half dozen co workers.”  

 

Sesshoumaru sighed. Setting down his coffee cup he asked, “Why did you not inform me of this?”  

 

“I informed HR, and they told me they would investigate and act. However when I came out of the office the problem increased,” said Rin.  

 

“You should have contacted me directly,” Sesshoumaru scolded, his gold eyes gleaming down at her with disapproval. “I could have resolved the matter without delay.”  

 

“Can one keep an entire department from discrimination against humans?” Rin asked.  

 

“You are strong enough to resist them. I did not hire you based on your social economic background or your ethnicity. Merely because you were the right candidate for the job. A job which you are failing to perform.”  

 

“Can Sesshoumaru-sama come in and ask the owners of this establishment to let me go?” she trailed off. “When I promised to work diligently for them?”  

 

“You may continue to work here part time, to assuage their ire at a misunderstanding,” Sesshoumaru said quietly. “And still return to work in the position you accepted at my firm.”  

 

The young woman swallowed hard at the elusive hope, gripping the edge of the table. “Do I have your word that you will stop the harassment?”  

 

“I give you my word,” Sesshoumaru said quietly. “Would you please return to the office with me when your shift ends?”   “I finish my shift at five,” she said quietly.  

 

“I shall wait,” Sesshoumaru said as he glanced at his laptop. “You will speak to your manager and request that your hours be changed to accommodate those of your previous job. Explain you have family obligations that merit you working part time. If he will not accommodate you, then you quit.”  

 

“Sesshoumaru-sama, may I ask why you request my cooperation when I no longer work for you?” Rin asked quietly, her gaze leveling at the taiyokai.

 

 “As one who is concerned for your welfare and will protect what he finds is now his,” said Sesshoumaru.  

 

“What ownership do you claim, Sesshoumaru-sama?” Rin wondered, raising a brow as she frowned. “For as I know one cannot say they own a person can they?”  

 

“You are my valued employee. I will not simply let you go when I've found your contribution valuable to the company,” Sesshoumaru explained.  

 

“I cannot just quit my position here,” the barista said sadly.  

 

“If your supervisor will not listen to your reasons I will speak with him. He will be compensated for your lost hours. The nature of your job for me is more important than this one.”  

 

Pressing her hand on the table, Rin insisted, “Serving patrons coffee is JUST as important. Do you not consume your share of coffee Sesshoumaru-sama?”  

 

Amused, Sesshoumaru twitched a corner of his lip upwards. The young woman had a point. “That is why I hope your manager will accommodate your request to drop to part time and change your hours accordingly.”  

 

Sighing, Rin shook her head and felt warm inside despite the fact that she knew his reasons seemed old fashioned. It was flattering for him to insist that she return that he had a share and a claim on her future. Just like a dog demon to display the traits of his animal nature. Once a dog got hold of a bone, he would not let go, or so the saying went.  

 

“You won't give up; will you, Sesshoumaru-sama?” Rin realized.  

 

“You are correct. Since you are a minority working for my firm, it behooves you to show a good example. Know that I will support you in whatever means you require, for I do not tolerate stupidity or foolishness in my firm.”  

 

“Off the record, why are you being so nice to one such as me?” Rin then asked. It was something that had been troubling her all along.  

 

Arching a silver brow he said, “Why do you ask?”  

 

“Well there were rumors of your track record with human employees, that you tended to be harsher on them than demons…” she began, though trailed off seeing the perplexed look in his golden eyes.  

 

“I see the basis for your concern. However, the recent affirmation laws for equal opportunity employment have prompted a change. Such attitudes are deeply engrained, but are contrary to efficiency or productivity,” Sesshoumaru coughed.  

 

Rin folded her hands in her lap, and breathed in deeply, “The reason I asked is this. The employees who harassed me work in your department, one of whom is directly under you. If you make a big show of bringing me back, won't it just make things worse?”  

 

“On the contrary it will set a precedent that I will not tolerate such behavior,” said Sesshoumaru.  

 

Dark brown eyes met the amber gaze of the taiyokai as Rin firmly replied, “I am grateful for your assurance, but it may make matters worse. If you help me then they will have even MORE cause to blame me.”  

 

Blinking down at her Sesshoumaru asked, “What cause do they have against you?”  

 

Glancing down at the cup of coffee near his hand, Rin pushed her lemonade cup back and forth with one finger. Very quietly, she admitted, “They assume that I had… relations with you in order to secure my position at your company.”  

 

Sesshoumaru's eyes darkened several shades, taking on a crimson hue hearing this. Rin turned her head away, afraid and unable to look him in the face. A prickle of energy tingled her skin, and then vanished the next moment with steady warmth. His hand reached across the table and cupped her cheek with strong fingers. “Rin, look at me,” he ordered.  

 

“I cannot. You are angry now. I know it is not true but I do not want you to worry about scandal on my account. The rumors fly rampant,” said the young woman through half shut eyes.  

 

“It is not true, is it?' Sesshoumaru asked, and Rin glanced at him to see his face was now neutral.  

 

“No, it is a lie,” Rin murmured. “Yet you do not understand that I have no wish to sully your reputation by their innuendo, milord.”  

 

Lowering his hand from her cheek, Sesshoumaru reached across the table and closed long clawed fingers around her small hand. He rumbled, “Then why are you concerned. I am capable of protecting my own reputation. The gossiping of tittering co workers is beneath my concern, and it should be beneath yours.”  

 

Squeezing his fingers, Rin replied, “The reason I cannot go back to work is because… I'm… attracted to a superior.”  

 

“Is it Kouga?” asked Sesshoumaru amused. “I have no policy against such relationships provided canoodling does not interfere.”  

 

“Canoodling? That's a word not heard in years,” Rin giggled.

 

Softly Sesshoumaru rubbed her palm.   “Demons are more comfortable with their passions. What they do on their own time is not my concern. Liaisons among employees will happen. However, what does concern me is if it interferes with work. As long as your desires are kept in check and do not hamper your efficiency, then it is your business.”  

 

“Yet it is your business, Sesshoumaru-sama,” Rin persisted, tugging his hand towards herself. Such familiar contact thrilled and worried her simultaneously. He never showed such familiarity with anyone.  

 

“Elaborate,” Sesshoumaru requested.  

 

“Because it's you that I'm attracted to,” she admitted shyly. She felt his hand still holding hers firmly, and was surprised he did not seem the least bit surprised.  

 

“Rin, do you think that there are any scents that escape my notice?” asked Sesshoumaru.  

 

“If YOU can smell it then they can too!” she countered.  

 

“Not if you wear a special deodorant,” Sesshoumaru chuckled lightly. “Half of them do to hide their own arousal. I'm surprised you know nothing of this.”  

 

“Nobody told me,” Rin said in confusion.  

 

“This one is telling you now,” the taiyokai assured her. “And wishes you return with him so he can explain more.”  

 

“I shall come, Sesshoumaru-sama,” Rin nodded, giving him her warmest smile.


  Kohaku stood only a few feet away, watching his high school friend speaking so comfortably with the silver haired stranger. Turning away, he nodded as she reluctantly glanced back. As if to say, “Take your time.”  

 

Reluctantly Rin moved away when her break was over, only to see the look in his gold eyes that captivated her. Returning to his side, Rin bent down and pressed her lips to his cheek.

 

“Thank you, Sesshoumaru-sama,” she whispered. 

 

“Your gratitude is not necessary. I was only acting in your best interests,” Sesshoumaru grunted, though his clawed hand marked with twin slashes enclosed on her shoulder and squeezed it gently.   “I do not wish to go, but Kohaku needs me,” she said, feeling torn between the taiyokai and her supervisor moving in her place behind the counter.

 

Like a well-choreographed dance, Kohaku placed the cups under each machine and started one as soon as the other had finished. Sure Yuka and Eri also bustled behind the treats case, and the cash register, but they had come to rely on her.

 

Opening up his laptop again, Sesshoumaru tapped keys with the fingers of his artificial left hand stiffly. Lips close to her ear he whispered, “This one will conduct his business transactions using your wireless LAN till your shift is complete.”  

 

Warmth again spread through her. He had returned for her when she least expected it and she had not realized she was waiting for her Lord Sesshoumaru. Beaming at him she giggled, “Then I will wait for you as I work as well.”  

 

“Till 5 then,” Sesshoumaru nodded, pleased she had seen reason.   Nevertheless, Rin had seen emotion in those intense gold eyes that were usually cold to others. She sensed he would protect her true to his word if she trusted him. Convinced he had her welfare in mind, she felt as if she never wanted to leave his side or his protection again. Happily, she took her place behind the counter, eager for the day to race by when they would leave together.  

This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1666