Down The Dark Hallway by sesshoumarusprincess
Summary:

A conversation between Sesshoumaru and his best friend gives him the opportunity to remember the good, the bad, and everything in between.


Categories: General Characters: Sesshoumaru
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 6256 Read: 22849 Published: 16 Jan 2010 Updated: 16 Jan 2010

1. Chapter 1-The key to the door. by sesshoumarusprincess

2. Chapter 2-The Pain of Growing Up by sesshoumarusprincess

3. Chapter 3-Mistakes We've Made by sesshoumarusprincess

4. Chapter 4-The Pain of Letting Go by sesshoumarusprincess

5. Chapter 5-In the End... by sesshoumarusprincess

Chapter 1-The key to the door. by sesshoumarusprincess

    

 

 Disclaimer:  I do not own anything associated with Inuyasha and will make no profit from this story.  All recognized characters are the property of the original author.  All orignal characters as well as the story are the property of the author.

 

    

     Down the long, dark hallway, there is a room on the left. It's an ordinary room, full of ordinary things. There is a bed, a desk, a dresser full of clothing, a shelve stacked with books, a closet lined with more clothes still, and an endless supply of trinkets, stuffed animals, and general clutter.


     It is to this room that he slowly made his way. Step by ever painful step he made his way down the hall. From his pocket he withdrew a tiny key. He stopped in front of the door, stared long and hard at the key before finally slipping it inside the lock. Turning the key, he placed a firm hold on the handle and twisted it, swinging the door wide.
    

    Sesshoumaru took a deep breath and gazed into the dark room. Gathering his thoughts, he took a slow, timid step inside. The air was stale and there was a good inch of dust on everything. He would have to speak to someone about this. Looking around, everything was as it should be. He glanced around at the spacious bedroom settling finally on a particular wall. A wall is just a wall until you make it something more, this wall told a story. Hundreds, if not thousands of photographs covered every possible inch of this wall, leaving not a trace of its original color. He gazed at each one, remembering when they were taken. A smile crossed his lips when he found his favorites.
   

      He searched for the one he was looking for and pulled it from the wall. In it, a group of people were enjoying their time at the beach. He looked first to his father and step mother, smiling towards the group of young adults. His idiotic half-brother, Inuyasha and the girl he loved, Kagome. They were standing next to one another, arms linked together, smiling happily for the camera. Then came Miroku and Sango. He laughed, those two just needed to get a room. Miroku was hanging all over Sango like a lost little puppy, he saw a mountain of children in their future. His eyes drifted down the short statured Shippo, how he couldn't stand the youth, but he didn't complain too much as he spent little time around any of them. It was the last two figures in the picture that he was more interested in. He stared back at his own tall form and the one who was with him. His hands were behind him, clinging desperately to the person hanging onto his back. Her short brown hair coming just to her shoulders, her bright shining eyes, that unmistakable smile. Her arms were locked over his shoulders in a vain effort to hold on. He remember that day, it was, as his brother would say, the first and only day that anyone had seen him smile. But truth be told, he always smiled when she was around.

     He took the photo and sat back on the bed never taking his eyes away. It seemed like yesterday when the picture was taken, but it had been nearly two years ago.


     Two years, how the time does go by he thought to himself.
He thought back, to the day they met, so long ago when they were both just small children.

"Sesshoumaru, Inuyasha, come out here for a moment." the strong voice of his father called.


The two young boys ran from their separate rooms and went to their father. He was standing in the doorway, waiting for them, a small brown haired girl was next to him.

"Who is that?" Inuyasha asked "Don't tell me you've adopted another child?"

"What do you mean adopted?" Sesshoumaru asked glaring at him.

"Well, it is obvious that you were adopted Sesshoumaru, you couldn't possibly be my brother!" Inuyasha snipped.

"Boys boys, enough. This is Ami, I am friends with her parents. They are out of town for a few weeks and asked your mother and I to take care of her while they were away."

She took a timid step forward and bowed before the two boys.

"Heh, so what, are we supposed to entertain her or something?" Inuyasha quipped.

"If she wishes, if she doesn't, just let her be." their father said patting the young girl on the back.

Sesshoumaru only glared at her and rolled his eyes. He didn't need to entertain her, he didn't even want to know she was here, he had more important things to do than be bothered with a stupid girl. He turned his back and walked away, preferring to resume his studies.

"Did...did I do something wrong?" he heard the girl as his father.

"Hah, no darling that is just how Sesshoumaru is, don't take it personally." his father said.

"Yeah, don't pay attention to him, all he cares about is books and study, so if you want you can come play with me." Inuyasha said, finally deciding she wasn't so bad.

"Ummm, okay, thank you." she said smiling running after the boy.

     Sesshoumaru didn't join them that day, nor the next, in fact he barely paid attention to her the entire time she was there. She tried several times to talk to him, but he ignored her. It wasn't until she poured an entire cup of juice on his head that he bothered with her at all.

     Of course, he yelled at her, she yelled back, he pushed her in the mud, and she tripped him as he went by. He was so angry with her that he turned to scream at her until he saw that she was crying, a large scrape on her knee. He was in for it now that's for sure, his father was going to kill him this time. It was enough to get yelled at and punished for beating on Inuyasha, but she was a guest and a girl on top of that.

"Please, don't cry, I didn't mean It." he said stiffly to her.

"Y-yes you did or you wouldn't have done it!" she yelled through tears.

"Well, you shouldn't have dumped your cup on my head!" he spit back.

"Well maybe if you weren't so mean, ignoring me, pretending that I didn't exist I wouldn't have done it!"

"If you weren't so annoying maybe I would pay attention to you!"

     And then it happened. He saw her small hand reach up and smack him. She actually smacked him. He sat dazed for a minute, not believing what had just happened. She stared at him and there was fire in her eyes. He watched her storm back into the house without so much as a glance back in his direction.
                                            That is where it began.
               

 

End Notes:

Author's Notes:  This is going to be a short story, 4 maybe 5 chapters.  I hope you all enjoy a different side of our favorite demon Lord!!!

Chapter 2-The Pain of Growing Up by sesshoumarusprincess

 

    Disclaimer:  I do not own anything associated with Inuyasha and will make no profit from this story.  All recognized characters are the property of the original author.  All original characters as well as the plot of the story belong to the author.

 *************************************************

      

     He smiled, remembering that day so clearly even though it was more than 20 years ago.  Oh he got in trouble for what he did, that was certain.  But after that they were attached at the hip.  Every day they could be seen playing around the yard, picking on Inuyasha, and causing general havoc around his father's mansion.  How he longed for those days, when times were simpler.  He remembered the day she came to live with them and he felt his chest tighten with pain.

 "Inuyasha, where are Ami, and your brother?" Touga asked.

 

"I don't know, probably in his room studying." Inuyasha said with a shrug.  "Why?"

 

"It does not matter now, excuse me."

Their father strolled down the hall to his eldest son’s room, where, as expected the two friends were found huddling around their books and notes.  He stood outside the door and listened to them quietly, trying to compose himself before entering.

"You know, if you do not stop copying me, you're never going to pass your tests." Ami said.

"You would dare in insinuate that I, Sesshoumaru am capable of cheating?  Honestly Ami, you are the one looking over my notes."

               

"Tsk tsk,  can't we take a break, my brain is hurting?"

               

"We're never going to get into good high schools if our test scores are poor."

               

"Please, we can get into any school we want.  Our grades are perfect, our records are perfect, what is there to worry about.  You just need to relax Sessh.  Why don't we go grab something to eat."

               

     He pondered the thought for a moment and was about to answer when a soft knock at his door focused his attentions.  His father stepped through the door, his face was grave and sullen.

               

"Father?" he questioned.

                

"Ami-Chan, please come with Me." his father said quietly.

               

"Touga-sama?  Is something wrong?" she asked

               

"There's....been an accident Ami-chan."

               

"An accident??  What kind of accident?" her voice getting higher.

               

"Come with me Ami-chan." he said a little stronger.

               

"Father, what is going on?"

 

Touga kneeled before the young woman sitting on his son’s bed and sighed.

               

"Ami-Chan, your parents were in a car accident on their way here to pick you up."

               

"What?!  Are they okay?  What hospital are they at?  We've gotta get going!" she yelled jumping quickly off the bed.

               

"Ami-Chan...." he said softly putting his hands on her shoulder.

               

"No!  NO!  Don't say it!  Please don't say it!" the tears welling up in her eyes as she begged for the answer.

               

"I'm sorry Ami-Chan, I am so sorry..." he started as she fell to the floor in a crying huddled mess. 

               

He watched as his father put his strong arms around her, and let her cry.  He was powerless in that moment, all he could do was watch. 

**************************************************************

                The funeral had been difficult and he kept his arms wrapped tightly around his best friend the entire time.  She cried, oh how she cried, and it hurt him when she did.  He stepped up and accepted the great host of mourner’s respects on her behalf, letting her sit behind him in quiet.  When all had gone, there was no one left but the two of them.  She stared long and hard and the two graves before her but was unable to move from the spot.  It wasn't until his father and step mother came over to help her to the car that she moved.  Barely able to walk, his father picked her up in his arms and carried her.  He set her down and helped her slide into the backseat of the limo, while Sesshoumaru sat next to her.  The drive back to the house was long and quiet, she laid her head on his shoulder and kept her eyes closed.  She retreated to the guest room she always stayed in and did not come out until it was time for dinner.

                 They all sat around and ate silently until his step mother gave her husband a look and he spoke.

               

"Ami-Chan, I know that today has been a very difficult day for you, but there are a few things we need to talk about."

               

"Of course, Touga-sama." she said sadly.            

               

 "As you know, your parents will leaves everything to you.  Now, I know there is a lot of responsibility that comes with that, but Izayoi and I would like to help you with that, if you want."

               

She nodded and he continued.

               

 "Now, your mother's sister has said that you may go and live with her if that is what you want?"

               

"What?  Go all the way to America?" she questioned.

               

"There is another option."

               

"What option father?"  Inuyasha asked

               

"She may remain here with us.  I have already spoken with another attorney and it should be a straight forward deal.  Izayoi and I would be appointed your guardians until you are 18, we would manage all of your assets and finances until you are old enough to do it on your own.  After that everything would be turned over to you and you could do as you please.  I have already put in a bid to seize control of your fathers company so it may retain it's heritage until you decide what you want."

               

 "You mean...I could stay here...live with you?  I wouldn't have to go away?" she said crying again.

              

  "No you wouldn't have to go away , you're practically here every day as it is, and you're just like another part of our family.  We would love it if you would stay, but think it over before you make your decision.  We want it to be something you want." Izayoi said to her smiling.

      

***************************************************************         

               

"So...what do you think?" she asked him.  She was sitting in her pajama's, sprawled across his bed with her head in his lap.

               

"Well, the choice is yours, no one can make it for you. The more logical choice would be for you to accept father's offer and stay here.  At least till you are finished with school.  Then, you could go anywhere you wanted." Sesshoumaru said to her.  "I think you should stay." he said finally.

               

"Yeah, I think so too.  How am I ever going to keep you out of trouble if I am 4000 miles away." she said trying to laugh.

               

"Humph!  You are the one who needs to be protected from trouble!"

She smacked his leg and he immediately began tickling her sides, oh yes, he knew all her weaknesses. 

A week later all of her belongings were transferred from her parent’s home to his.  The guest bedroom was to become a permanent room for her now.  He had to admit, at first it was a little weird knowing she'd be living there.  Even though she was there every day, she always went home at night.  He wasn't about to complain.  He never did show it but he was extraordinarily happy to have his best friend living with him.  When he needed to talk to her all he had to do was go down the hall and knock on her door.  When they wanted to study no longer had to beg his parents to go bring her over.  He wanted her to be happy there and he did his best to make sure that she was occupied all the time to keep her mind off her parents.  He would often walk by her room at night and hear her crying through the door.  So many times he wanted to go in there but felt it best just to let her be, if she wanted to talk she would come to him.

"Hey, are you still up?" Ami questioned knocking lightly on the door.

"Yes, I am up, come in." he said sleepily.  He really wasn't but didn't want to turn her away.

"Sorry, I just.....couldn't sleep." she said sitting next to him.

"It is alright.  Nightmares again?"

"Yeah....same one as always."

 "It will pass in time.  So what do you want to do? Neither one of us are much into television.  We could go for a walk if you would like."    

"No, I just....didn't want to be alone anymore." she said laying back on his pillows.  

   "You are not alone.  You have all of us here with you." he said moving over to make room for her.    

  "I know believe me I know.  I don't know what I would do without your father and mother."    

"Step-mother." he said flatly.    

"Yes yes, I forgot, I'm sorry." she said as she let out a big yawn.    

 "You should sleep, we've got exams in the morning." he said but she didn't hear him.  Already he could see the rhythmic rise and fall of her chest and knew that she had fallen asleep.  He debated whether or not to he should stay, the proper thing would be for him to sleep somewhere else.     

  "Oh well, father won't kill us for just one night." he said to himself and he laid back down next to her and was soon fast asleep

 

End Notes:

Authors Notes:  Well, a little sooner than I was planning and some things might change before all is said and done, but here's chapter two.

Chapter 3-Mistakes We've Made by sesshoumarusprincess

Disclaimer:  I do not own anything associated with Inuyasha and will make no profit from this story.  All recognized characters are the property of the orginal author.  All original characters as well as the plot of this story belong to the author. 

********************************************************************

"Hey, I remember that photo!" the bright voice said behind him.               

"As do I.  It was two summers ago, the big trip to Hawaii." he said slowly.               

 "That was great fun, remember when Inuyasha fell off the dock into the water and came up covered in seaweed."               

 He chuckled softly and sighed.               

"What are you doing in here anyway Sessh?  You never come in here anymore." the brown haired woman said, taking a seat next to him.              

  "Just making sure everything is where it should be, you know, it's getting rather dusty in here."               

"Yeah, I'll get right on that." she joked.               

 "Ami, what are you doing here?" he asked her seriously.              

  "Sitting with my friend.  I thought he looked kinda sad, so I decided to pop on by." she said happily.               

 He smiled.  So typical.  She always knew when something was bothering him, it never once escaped her notice.                

******************************************************************

"So, what's the deal?  Are you going to ask her out or not?" Ami said while they walked the campus.               

"I think not.  She's not exactly my type." Sesshoumaru said flatly.               

"Really?  So the best looking girl in school has the guts to ask YOU out on a date and you're just going to turn her down?"               

 "She is hardly the best looking girl in school, Ami, and yes I am going to turn her down.  She has no true interest in me, only in the raise in popularity she will get by being on my arm."               

 "True, but hey, maybe you're wrong and she does like you?"               

"It is possible, I am still not interested."               

"Suit yourself.  Did Inuyasha ask Kagome out yet?"               

 "Why would I know such trivial information?"               

"Probably because he's your brother, duh!" she said poking his arm a little harder than needed.               

"Half-brother, and no, he has not managed to ask her out yet."               

 "Idiot, he better suck it in and do it before someone else does."               

"Inuyasha is not often known for his smart decisions and timing."               

"True true.  Listen, I'm going to be late tonight so tell your father to leave a light on for me."               

"What are you doing tonight?"               

"Big study group.  A bunch of us are getting together to go over everything before the finals next week.  I would have invited you, but it's political study, I KNOW how interesting you find that subject." she said rolling her eyes.               

"Thank you for not subjecting me to that torture once again."               

"Yeah, who loves ya...I gotta split, so I'll see you at home." Ami said kissing his cheek and running off.               

He watched her go happily to her next class and thought quietly to himself.                 

"No I did not lie, Kagura is definitely not the best looking girl in school" he said to himself and headed off for his own class.                

******************************************************************* 

"What are you thinking about now?" Ami asked him and he thumbed through more and more photos.               

 "Nothing in particular, just remembering the good times." he said.               

"We did have some good times when we were younger didn't we?  Man I miss those days.  Now it's all serious, grown up stuff...oh to be 5 one more time!" she said laughing.               

 He smiled but kept his head down in the photo book.  He stopped when he reached their graduation pictures.  They looked so ridiculous in the gowns and hats but it had been a great day.               

"Look how young we were!" she said               

"We have not yet grown so much that we should look upon these pictures and feel ourselves to be that old Ami."               

 "Oh I know, it just seems like so long ago.  I can't believe it's been 4 years since then."               

 "Neither can I.  So much has changed, not all of it for the good, not all for the bad."               

 "Yeah, I know. Best not dwell on it for now, it's not good for you."               

 "Yes, I suppose you are right." he said, flipping the page to reveal more vacation photos.                

 ******************************************************************

 "Hey, Sesshoumaru!" Inuyasha yelled                

 "What?"                

"Wow, who pissed you off this morning?" Miroku said to him.               

"Is there something you want?" he said coldly.               

"Yeah, listen we're on VACATION...that means you have to put down the work and actually enjoy yourself.  Look we're all going down to the beach for the day.  Stop sulking in your room and come join us."               

 "Plus, Ami said she was going to kick your ass and break your laptop if you didn't at least pretend to have fun while we're here." Sango said stepping onto the balcony.               

"Do you not understand how important this piece that I am working on?" he said sighing.              

  "Yeah, but we really don't care, now let’s go before Ami beats us all up." Sango said pulling him off the couch and forcing him to change.                 

 10 minutes later he was walking along the hot sand to the group of people waiting.  His father and step mother sat under the shade while Kagome and Ami laid out on towels near the water’s edge.              

  "Well well, look who finally decided to join us." Izayoi said smiling at her step-son.He nodded politely and took a seat in one of the shaded loungers.               

He watched Ami, Kagome, and Sango head off to the water to cool off.  Inuyasha and Mirkoku followed shortly after and soon Ami was beckoning him to join them.  He shook his head defiantly until her soft eyes pleaded with him, and that damn pouty lip of hers.  He's never been able to resist that. He strolled towards the water’s edge and waded out to where she was waiting.               

"So, I don't have to break your laptop then huh?" she laughed at him.               

 "You would not dare and you know it." he said sharply.               

 "Oh yes I would!" she said splashing him with the warm ocean water.

He raised his eye brows at her and proceeded to dunk her fully under the water.  She came up and immediately tried to retaliate against him.  They sat and played around in the water for the rest of the day, finally coming out to change for dinner.               

They ate at the best restaurant the island had to offer, everyone, including him had an amazing time.  They returned to their hotel and he once again found himself sitting outside on his balcony.  He was preparing to start working again when he spotted his best friend sitting quietly below in the sand.  Putting work out of his mind, he descended the short stairway walked in her direction.              

  "Ami, what are you doing out here all alone?" he asked her as he sat down beside her.                 

 "Nothing, just sitting, it's a nice night and I really wasn't all that tired." she said smiling.               

"Are you having a good time?"               

 "Are you kidding? I'm having a great time, I don't think I've ever had a better time!"               

"I am glad."               

 "You're not though are you?" she said, slightly sad.              

  "No, it is not that at all, I just...have a lot of work to get done."               

 "It's always about work with you Sessh.  Life is far too short to think about work all the time, there are more important things in life than work."               

 "You're right.  How about this, I will not do anymore work for the remainder of our trip."              

  "Really?  You promise?"                

 "For you, anything."                

 "You're the best." she said laying her head against his shoulder.  He wrapped his arms around her and together they sat and listened to the waves.

 

"Ami?"

 

 

"Hmmmm...." she said sleepily.

 

He paused...

 

 "Nothing, never mind."

 

 

"No, what is it?  I hate it when you do that." she said raising her eyes to match his.

 

He gazed back into those bright blue eyes, leaned in, and placed a soft, tender kiss on her lips

.

 She pulled back and stared at him with intense curiosity.

 

 

"Wh---Sessh..what are you doing?" she questioned.

               

"I'm sorry, if I have upset you." he said turning his head away.

 

 

"No, no, I'm not upset...I just.....I mean...."she seemed unable to find the words she wanted.  "Sessh...I love you..you know that.  You're the best friend I could ever ask for."

                 

"But?" he asked, his heart aching.

 

 

"But that's just it...I would hate to think of what we would lose if by chance.....we didn't work out.  I don't think I could handle that, and neither could you."

 

 

 He listened to her words carefully before he decided to answer her unsaid question.

 

 

 "I understand.  Forget about it..." he said getting up quickly.

 

 "Wait Sesshoumaru!" she called to him, but he kept walking.

 

Chapter 4-The Pain of Letting Go by sesshoumarusprincess

Disclaimer:  I do not own anything associated with Inuyasha and will make no profit from this story.  All recognized characters are the property of the original author.  All orginal characters as well as the plot of this story belong to the author. 

**********************************************************************

"You didn't speak to me for weeks after that." Sesshoumaru said quietly.

"No, I didn't did I. Sorry about that, I was just a little confused.  You really didn't explain anything." Ami said               

"I know, I'm sorry.  I should have been more open with you from the moment I realized..."               

"It's okay...it doesn't matter anymore"

"No, I do not suppose it matters." he said lowering his eyes to the floor.               

"Hey, stop thinking about it already.  What's done is done and you cannot change the past." she said confidently.               

 "What's done is done." he thought to himself as he sat there.  There was no truer statement that could ever be uttered.  He couldn't help but think about the last 6 months and wished to the Kami's that what was done could be undone.  He stood up and set the picture back in its place on the wall.  He turned his head back to where she was sitting on the bed and she smiled brightly up at him.               

"It's almost time to go." she said, glancing at the clock.               

"I know.  Are you coming?" he asked her.                "

No, I don't need to.  You go on.  I'll be here when you get back." she said laying back on the bed.               

Silently he left the room and shut the door, leaving it unlocked.  He returned to his own room, took from his closet his finest suit, a black shirt and tie and his Italian leather shoes.  Once he was satisfied that he looked perfect he headed down the stairs to meet with his family and friends.  They were all there.  They all piled silently into the limo and the driver set out for their destination.  He quietly reflected on what he was going to say and his mind wandered back once again to a different time and place.                               

*********************************************************************

He stood wide eyed as he listened to what she was telling him.  She couldn't be serious. If this was a joke, he wasn't laughing.               

"Please say something." she said quietly.               

"Are you certain?  I mean...have you consulted...."               

 "I have spoken with the top minds, this is what it is Sesshoumaru."               

"I cannot accept that." he said lowering his eyes.               

"Hey, I'm not going down without a fight, I can promise you that. I'll beat it, don't you worry."               

"I will hold you to that Ami."She smiled at him and he saw her tears coming again. 

He held her close and let her cry

. Every day after that was a gift.  Things that were once so important to him just didn't seem to matter.  He no longer cared about work and making an impression, all he cared about was for her to get better.  He drove her to the doctor for all of her appointments, he waited patiently while she endured her treatments, and he watched her health fall faster than it could be imagined.  He saw as she smiled brightly through it all.

So very clearly he remembered...that night.  He could still hear the ambulance siren, see the flashing lights, he could feel the hopelessness in the paramedic's voices when they lifted her into the back.                 

 *****************************************************************************

 "How much longer?" he asked the doctor.               

"Not long, perhaps a few hours."               

"Hours?!"               

"I'm sorry Sesshoumaru-sama, we have done everything that we can, but perhaps it is time you said your goodbyes" the doctor said and he left him alone.               

"Sesshoumaru..." his father started but he cut him off.               

"Do not...I will not accept that...she promised me...."                "

She did, but I am afraid she is not going to fulfill that promise." 

He fought back the rage that had entered into his mind and slowly walked towards the door.  Twisting the handle gently he stepped inside the dimly lit room.  Kagome, Sango, Miroku, and Inuyasha looked up to him as he entered, each one had tears in their eyes.  He walked towards the bed and took his seat beside her.  It was difficult to see, she no longer resembled the friend he knew.  Her hair, once long and beautiful, was all but gone.  Her once full face was thin and drawn.  Any color had long left her face and he watched as each breath came with a struggle.                

"We'll leave you guys alone for a while." Inuyasha said, motioning to his friends to get up.  They left the room and he found himself staring off into the distance.               

"Sesshoumaru?" her weak voice called to him.               

"I am here." he said.She smiled feebly at him her soft eyes resting on his.               

"Are you in pain?" he asked her.               

"No...it doesn't hurt....anymore..."               

"Ami...." he said, fighting back the urge to cry.                

"Please....don't..." she pleaded with him.               

"What am I going to do without you?"               

"Live."               

"I cannot live without you!" he said, finally allowing the tears he had been holding onto for so long to fall.               

"You can....and....you will."               

 "No...."               

"You have to....I....won't let you live in despair..." her voice getting quieter and her breathing slower.               

"Ami....I love you.  I have always loved you.  Forgive me for being too much of a coward to tell you before now." he said placing his hand gently to her face.               

She raised her own hand and laid it lightly on top of his.               

"I know....I have....always known..."               

"You did?"               

"Yes...I did...you tried....very hard to....hide it from me....from the world....but I knew..."               

 "Why didn't you tell me you knew?"               

"Because....I was afraid...."she said coughing.               

"Afraid of what?"               

 "That I....loved you too...."she smiled up at him and he held her hands tightly in his own.                               

******************************************************************** 

 The limo arrived at the open gardens and the occupants got out slowly.  Already a large crowd had already been assembled.  They took their seats in the front row and the priest took his place before them.  He offered a prayer and a blessing to the Kami's as the ceremony had begun.               

 Sesshoumaru kept his eyes forward, never once blinking.  He tuned out all the noise around him and focused all his thoughts on the dark, elegant box before him.  He didn't hear the conclusion of the priest’s sermon.  He didn't hear the kind words his father said.  He didn't hear Kagome's tearful remembrance.  He didn't see when it was lowered to the ground.               

 "Sesshoumaru?" Izayoi said to him, finally pulling him out of his trance.               

"It is time to go my son." His father said to him.

He stood up and walked towards the deep hole in the ground.  He pulled from his jacket a single yellow rose and placed it on top of the dark box.  He followed his parents back to the car and for the first time in his life, was dreading going home.  He didn't want to be there, not anymore.  Perhaps it was time to move on to a place of his own.

 

 

Chapter 5-In the End... by sesshoumarusprincess
Author's Notes:
Authors Notes:  Well here's the end...I know it's a little sad and doesn't necessarily center around the main story but it's more of a tribute to anyone who has lost someone important to them and thought they wouldn't always be there.  Hope you enjoyed it.

 Disclaimer:  I do not own anything associated with Inuyasha and will make no profit from this story.  All recognized characters are the property of the original author.  All original characters as well as the plot of this story belong to the author.  I also do not own the rights to the song "If Today Was Your Last Day" but it worked well here but I'm not trying to steal it :D

********************************************************************

                 Down the dark hallway, to the door on the left, he once again made his way.  He opened the door which he left unlocked and looked around the empty room.  He sat back down on the bed and cried like he had ever cried before.  He was a proud man, he never cried.  He never had much use for it, feeling that it made him weak.  Today, he didn't care and he let his tears fall gracefully from his eyes.  He spotted an envelope sitting on the desk, somehow he had managed not to see it earlier.  He stood up and walked over to the desk to find the envelope was addressed to him.  With shaking hands, he carefully opened it and pulled the letter out from inside.                

Neatly written on the brightly colored paper were the lyrics to a song.  He took his time to read each word very very carefully. 

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day’s a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride

If today was your last day
and tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last?
Leave old pictures in the past
Donate every dime you have?
If today was your last day

Against the grain should be a way of life
What’s worth the prize is always worth the fight
Every second counts ’cause there’s no second try
So live like you’ll never live it twice
Don’t take the free ride in your own life

If today was your last day
and tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last?
Leave old pictures in the past
Donate every dime you have?
Would you call old friends you never see?
Reminisce of memories
Would you forgive your enemies?
Would you find that one you’re dreamin’ of?
Swear up and down to God above
That you finally fall in love
If today was your last day

If today was your last day
Would you make your mark by mending a broken heart?
You know it’s never too late to shoot for the stars
Regardless of who you are
So do whatever it takes
‘Cause you can’t rewind a moment in this life
Let nothin’ stand in your way
Cause the hands of time are never on your side

If today was your last day
and tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last?
Leave old pictures in the past
Donate every dime you have?
Would you call old friends you never see?
Reminisce of memories
Would you forgive your enemies?
Would you find that one you’re dreamin’ of?
Swear up and down to God above
That you finally fall in love
If today was your last day

He reached the bottom of the page and sank back on the bed, once again fighting back those damn tears, he was fighting a losing battle.                

"Why are you crying?" a voice said to him.               

"Please, don't be sad, I hate it when you're sad." Ami said lovingly to him.               

 "How can you tell me not to be sad?!"               

 "It's easy." she said smiling at him.               

"No, it is not easy.  It hasn't been easy, it will never be easy."               

"No, it's not, but you can't dwell in the past any more Sesshoumaru.  You have to move on, and live for yourself."               

"How, how am I to go on?"               

"By remembering the days we spent together, all the fun stuff we used to do, and know that I'm right here beside you."               

"No, you've gone away."               

"True, but I really haven't.  You're talking to me aren't you?"               

"Yes, but I am dreaming."               

"No, you're not." she said smiling at him one more time.               

"It's time for me to go."               

"Do you have to?" he asked sadly.               

"Yeah, but don't worry, I won't be far."

She stood up before him and he felt her place a soft kiss on his forehead.  He reached out to take hold of her but only found the air.               

 "Sesshoumaru?" his father was standing in the doorway.  "Who are you talking to?"

He looked around but only saw his father.  It wasn't a dream, he knew it wasn't.  He could smell her perfume, he could feel her warmth, and his skin burned where she kissed him.  He smiled.               

"I get the message Ami" he said to himself before turning to his father.                

"No one father, just a conversation with myself." 

 

   

This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1616