Black Moon by Lady_Dark_Kitten
Summary: Fate seems intent on tripping up Kagomes life at every turn. Her father died when she was young. She fell threw the well that started a chain reaction of love, loss, hate, sorrow and the constant threat of death. Fate has done it again.

Despite all of Inuyasha attempts to drive Kouga away he eventually succeeded in winning Kagomes heart only weeks before her brother was hit by a car and slipped into a coma. Kouga and Kagome have been together for a year, Kagome is only a day away from turning 16 and she is about to get a very special birthday present. It’s going to turn her world up side down.

Categories: General Characters: Hojo, Inu Yasha, Jaken, Kagome Higurashi, Kouga, Miroku, Rin, Sango, Sesshoumaru, Shippo
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 14240 Read: 48554 Published: 24 Oct 2007 Updated: 24 Oct 2007
Story Notes:

[ ] This means that the coming conversation is internal monolog. In other words the character is talking to them self’s

I do not own inu and co, nor do i own the song Give unto me by Evanescence. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. 

1. Watching by Lady_Dark_Kitten

2. The Moon is gone by Lady_Dark_Kitten

3. Do you hate me? by Lady_Dark_Kitten

4. Kouga? by Lady_Dark_Kitten

5. Don't protect me! by Lady_Dark_Kitten

6. Dreams, blood and pain by Lady_Dark_Kitten

7. Is this it? by Lady_Dark_Kitten

8. Fear not the flame of my loves candle by Lady_Dark_Kitten

Watching by Lady_Dark_Kitten
I've been watching you from a distance
The distance sees through your disguise
All I want from you is your hurting
I want to heal you
I want to save you from the dark

Kagome sat with Kouga on a hill; she was leaning on him as they watched the dark clouds role in. The silent watcher studied the girl wondering what it was about her. She was something… but what? She certainly wasn’t human.

Despite her apparent happiness she was still pained; he could see it swirling in her ora. It wasn’t just the hanyou something else had happened but he didn't know what. Sesshoumaru snorted at the girl wondering why she was wasting her pity on his half brother. The wolf prince was a much better choice for the girl.

Despite his suspicions he wondered again what made her so different that he would care? He had honestly hated the human and tried to kill her, sadly with out success. He shrugged it off as mere curiosity then he turned to watch Inuyasha for a moment and snorted again. The stupid hanyou should have known better than to bother trying. He dispelled the glowing fire pushing the distraction aside so he could continue his daily dry routine.

As Inuyasha sat in a tree behind Kouga and Kagome watching them jealously Kouga put an arm around Kagomes shoulders. She looked up into his face and smiled sadly, he kissed her forehead making her blush as small tears formed at the corner of her eyes despite his attempts to comfort her. Why did it have to be Kouga, Inuyasha wondered. What was wrong with me?

“Kouga we should go back to the village its getting cold and it looks like rain.” He grinned at her sadly sparkling steal blue eyes.

“Of coarse Kagome.” He stood and scoped her up rushing to Kaede’s hut leaving a flurry of dust and leaves in his wake as the storm chased them. But Inuyasha didn't move he just let the rain soak him.

He was tired of Kouga; he wanted Kagome to be his like she was before. But she wasn’t yours… a small voice in his mind told him. He sighed wishing he hadn’t been so stupid. He looked up as some thunder started to resonate threw the trees. He frowned knowing that a tree was no place to be with thunder and lighting warring in the clouds. He jumped down and made his way to the village.

As he approached he saw Kagome and Kouga with Miroku and Sango on the porch. They where watching the rain bounce off the surface of the puddles and the lighting crawl across the clouds. He pushed by them to sit inside.

“Kagome?” she looked at Sango and frowned. Things where hard enough the young miko thought to her self, why did he have to be like that? Sota died only a few weeks ago, Kagome felt tears start to well up in her eyes and her birthday was tomorrow. Couldn’t he just push it a side even for a day? Just one?

“I know…” she sighed and ran her hands over her face drying her eyes. She kissed Kouga on the cheek and stood then walked into the hut. Kouga had long since gotten over Inuyasha’s rocky friendship with Kagome and was confided that she loved him, that his place with her was secure. But nothing in life is secure; things can change in a split second.

Kagome poked her head in to see Inuyasha playing with the fire. She stepped in but he didn't looked up. She sat across from him and pulled her knees up to her chest. He finally glanced at her threw his thick unkempt bangs. This was getting so old.

“What Kagome weren’t you enjoying the storm?” he mumbled sarcastically she looked into the fires chaotic dance trying to hold her tears back. Why did he have to be such a jerk? The sad part was he didn't even realize it till it was too late.

“Inuyasha… please…” he looked up at her as she tightened her grip on her knees. He watched her and she looked at him her head resting on her knees. “Inuyasha please try to understand and just...” He scowled at her; this was not the first time they had this squabble.

“But I thought…” she narrowed her eyes; she was tired to death of this never-ending argument.

“People change Inuyasha.” He looked back at the fire. “I’m sorry I can’t make you happy.” She stood up and walked to the door then looked at the floor next to her so she could see him out of the corner of her eye. “Inuyasha this cant go on forever.” He looked up to say something but all he saw was the door flap falling onto place. He looked back at the fire and leaned on the wall, he sat there most of the night.

Kagome sat next to Kouga. He wrapped his arms around her as she sat on his lap seeking warmth and comfort. They watched the clouds as the almost full moon started to peek threw. Tomorrow it would be full and it would start to disappear the day after. She looked at Kouga and tried to smile.

“Kouga, want to sleep on the porch tonight now that it’s cleared up?” She wanted to avoid Inuyasha for a bit. Kouga grinned mischievously at her as she scooted off him and he stood then entered the hut to retrieve her zipped together sleeping bags. He didn't look at Inuyasha as he walked in and back out; he felt a bit guiltily but not enough. Inuyasha had his chance and he blew it.

Kagome and Kouga curled together as Miroku and Sango stepped inside. Kouga lay with his tail over her legs listening to her steady heartbeat as she fell asleep. He nuzzled her neck thinking about tomorrow, thinking about what she promised him. He smiled she had made him wait for some unknown reason but he didn't mind. He hoped that he could make her forget her pain for just one day. Eventually the steady rhythm of her heart lulled him to sleep as he pulled her closer.

The next morning Kagome woke with a start but she didn't move, she felt funny. She was tingling all over, she had a slight head ach and she knew she was being watched. She slowly sat up and looked around, there was nothing wrong and there where no shards. She scratched her head and yawned as Kouga lifted him self up on one elbow. She looked down at him and smile deciding to ignore the feelings for now. He mischievously wiggled out from under the top fold of the bed. His tail slowly wagging as he growled playfully and sat on his knees to nibble her neck. She gently and playfully smacked his hand.

“You’ll get your chance...” she smiled and leaned down kissing him.

“I know I will.” He murmured as he brushed her neck slowly with his hand making her shiver. She brushed him away and stood up then stretched.

“But it will wait… I kinda feel funny anyway.” He cocked his head to the side.

“What do you mean?” she looked at him and frowned.

“I don’t know.” She looked at the bright blue sky and smiled as she ignored her funny feelings. She sat on the edge of the porch and watched Inuyasha slowly emerge from the hut.

“Happy birthday Kagome.” He muttered as he looked at Kouga who was leaving to take care of some ‘business’. Inuyasha sat next to Kagome and she smiled at him. “So are you going to go see your family?” she nodded.

“In a bit.” She looked over as Kouga rounded the corner and smiled brightly at him.

They did breakfast and all the normal morning things. Then Kagome dug around in her pack so she could get dressed. Kouga watched her smiling, he didn't like to see her leave but he loved to watch her walk away. When she came out all changed she brushed her hair and flung the brush so it landed on her pack.

“Kagome do you want me to walk you to the well?” she looked at the hopeful Inuyasha.

“Ya,” she looked at Kouga who looked a bit dejected but smiled at her. She turned and started to walk.

“Kagome…” Sango grabbed her shoulder. “Don’t you want to take your pack?” Kagome shook her head.

“I have enough stuff, if I decide I need anything I can carry it.” She waved and turned to the woods Inuyasha hot on her heels.

The walk was quiet and Kagome was trying to enjoy the warm breeze and the quiet sounds that a walk in the woods made. Inuyasha looked at her as she stretched again. She grinned at him; it was her birthday why shouldn’t she be in a good mood?

“Kagome…” she slowed down and frowned at him. “Are you sure?” she scowled at him.

“Inuyasha it my birthday.” She sighed; he looked back to the hut.

“I know…” He frowned as he looked back at her; he knew what Kouga had planed for to day. “Kagome wolfs mate for life…” she crossed her arms.

“I know that Inuyasha.” She calmly stated. His eyes widened, he was hoping that would deter her from mating with Kouga giving him another chance.

“But Kagome…” she narrowed her eyes at him she was bound and determined to convince Inuyasha to stay off her back.

“Inuyasha I love him…” her voice faded for a moment and he could see tears start to glitter in the corner of her eyes “and every day we’re lucky to get away with our lives.” His ears flattened. “Today could be our last day...” she choked and turned away from him willing her eyes to dry. She started for the well and he watched her eyes wide at her depressing statement. He hung his head and followed her.

When she got to the glade she looked around her vision all the sudden turned black and white then faded for a second but it came back sharper and more vivid. Inuyasha walked up beside her as she frowned and shook her head. He eyed her for a moment as she shook her head.

“Kagome are you ok?” she nodded.

“I’m fine the sun just hit my eyes funny that’s all.” He frowned at her as she stepped up on the edge of the well. “Tell every one I’ll be back around noon.” She started to turn and drop in. He noticed that she smelled funny and he didn’t know what the smell was.

“Do you want me to send someone to meet you.” she shook her head as she jumped in.

She softly touched down on the other side and climbed out of the well. She opened the door to the courtyard and looked around. Her grandfather was sweeping when he looked up.

“Ohhh Kagome happy birthday.” She smiled at him.

“Thank you grandpa… is everyone inside?” he nodded.

“I was told there’s a young man coming over too…” Kagome stopped dead in her tracks and one of her eyes started to twitch.

“Do you happen to know what his name is?” he nodded again.

“I think the girls said his name was Hojo.” She hung her head.

“Thank you grandpa.” She sighed heavily she didn’t want to have to fend him off again; she just wanted him to get a clue.

As she opened the door and walked in she could hear a giant commotion in the living room and shook her head. She walked into the living room and ended up right in the middle of party preparations. Everyone froze and stared at her.

“Miss Higurashi I told you you should have done this yesterday.” Eri poked the older woman’s thigh.

“Well I thought with you it’d be done before she got here.” She got off her latter and everyone kinda left things the way they where.

“So is this everyone?” Kagome desperately hoped that her grandfather was wrong but Eire shook her head.

“No we invited Hojo to…” Kagome sighed.

“When’s he suppose...” then the doorbell rang. “Never mind…” she put on her best smile as she answered the door. And there was the young perpetually happy young man; at times he made her sick. No one should be happy all the time, its not natural she remembered thinking. “Hi Hojo.” He grinned at her as she let him in.

But once he couldn’t see her face she frowned and tried not to grind her teeth in frustration, it was her birthday for crying out loud. Why didn't they ask her last time she was here if she wanted him here? She just couldn’t seem to catch a break; kagome went to the bathroom and popped some ibuprofen for her head ach.

When she got back to the living room everyone sat around and ate cake and ice cream. They told some jokes watched a movie and handed Kagome her gifts. Her mother gave her two, one was a mountain bike not only did it have a basket on the front but also it had a better utility wrack than the last one had on the back.

The other was a modern bow like the ones they practice with at school; she also bought her a crap load of arrows. She remembered having told her mother that she used one and that they had a tendency to get smashed. Kagome blushed whishing that her mother had given it to her after everyone was gone.

“Thank you mama, its nice.” She looked over the sleek black weapon; she really did love it. Mostly based in the fact that it would be much harder to break.

Everyone kind of looked at her funny but didn’t say anything. Eventually everyone started to say their goodbyes and filed out the door. But Hojo pulled Kagome aside into the kitchen.

“Yes Hojo?” he blushed and looked at the floor before looking her in the eye.

“Kagome I…” he took a step toward her, knowing what he was going to say she cut him off.

“Hojo… before you go any farther with that I can’t.” he frowned and backed up.

“Why not?” she sighed.

“Because I’m involved with some very important work Hojo that’s the real reason I’m gone all the time…” it was true and it made the perfect escape goat, but she had to tell him about Kouga too. “And I have a relationship, we work together…” his frown deepened. “No it’s not a relationship based on convenience.” He looked at the ground.

“I see…” he looked back up at her wondering what a 16 year old could be doing that was important enough for her to skip school so much. “Can you at least tell me what you do?” she shook her head.

“No I can’t… and I have to go.” he nodded.

“That important?” she nodded at him. “Well I won’t keep your coworkers waiting.” He walked out to the door and closed it behind him. She sighed grabbing her bike and bow.

“Love you mama but I’m late.” She nodded as Kagome walked out to the well.

She looked around to be sure she wasn’t being watched. She entered the well house and as she looked at it she realized that she would never get the bike in the well let alone out on the other side. She would have to have Inuyasha get it for her later. She hoped threw and looked up at the clear blue sky on the other side. She was glad to be back because she was starting to feel more at home here than in her time. She straitened her bow and quiver on her back then started to climb, when she reached the top she met Shippo’s green-eyed gaze.

“Kagome I’m so glad your back.” She smiled at the kit as she swung her legs over the edge of the well.

“I’m glad to be back.” She stretched when her feet where on the ground and Shippo suddenly seemed fascinated by something. “What Shippo?” he wrinkled his nose.

“Is that a bow?” Kagome smiled.

“Yes mama bought it for me, she got me a new bike to but I can’t get it threw well.” He smiled at her. As they approached the hut Inuyasha and Kouga perked up smelling Kagome. Kouga was off at full speed and snatched her off her feet swinging her around making her giggle wildly.

“Kagome…” he set her down gently and ran his hand down the side of her face before bringing her in for a tender kiss; making Inuyasha fume. When they parted Kagome smiled and threw her arms around him pushing her face into the crook of his neck. Then she pulled back and looked at Inuyasha.

“Umm Inuyasha I have a new bike on the other side could you go get it for me?” one of his ears twitched. She felt terrible for asking him but she couldn’t do it.

“Of coarse I can. I’ll be back in a few.” Then he was gone, Kagome smiled and sat on the porch with Kouga looking at her new bow.

When he got back he set the shiny new bike next to the hut. She eyed it enjoying how nice it looked wail she could. They goofed off all day playing games. There was lots of hide and go seek. Then there was tag… Shippo ran everyone into the ground. Night did eventually fall and everyone but the kit was thank full for it. Kagome was enjoying it but
Sota’s death hung over her like a dark cloud.

As everyone sat around the fire eating dinner and chitchatting about this that and the other Sesshoumaru watched Kagome threw the eerie blue fire as she start to get antsy. And the full moon was slowly rising to its peek.

She stood up and started to rub her arms pacing back and forth, she itched all over. Her stomach was turning and her head was pounding. Kouga stood and took her by her shoulders gently. It’s happening, Sesshoumaru thought to him self as she started to turn pail. He dispelled the fire and was off.

The Moon is gone by Lady_Dark_Kitten
Give unto me your troubles
I'll endure your suffering
Place onto me your burden
I'll drink your deadly poison

“Kagome are you ok?” she shook her head.

“I don’t feel too good.” Kagome started to sway back and forth then she collapsed into young wolf prince’s arms. “Mm thank you Kouga.” He wrapped his arms around her.

“Anything for you.” Kagome looked up to see that the moon was starting to disappear.

“A lunar eclipse…” she whispered and everyone looked up seeing the moon behind her start to vanish.

“What the hell?!” Inuyasha jumped up looking at his hair to see that it was still silver.

“Its ok, this is what happens when earth moves between sun and the moon.” Every one nodded, she had managed to explain the basics of space when one of them referred to the world as flat. Inuyasha sighed in relief just as Kagome doubled over hugging her self.

“Kagome!” Kouga bent down next to her. She blinked and looked at him as her wide stormy blue eyes shifted to a vibrant purple and her pupil narrowed into slits. Then black started to creep over the purple covering it.

“I…” she pushed away from Kouga and knelt resting her head on the grass as a dizzy spell clamed her. “I really don’t feel good.” She started to shiver and sweat; she felt like she was going to vomit. She felt like she was on fire.

Kouga looked up at the moon and it was swiftly disappearing. Kagome put one hand on the ground so she could hold her self up and she gently pushed Kouga’s chest with the other moving him further away. He frowned as he let her push him away, then Inuyasha dashed over and knelt next to her to try and comfort her but she put her other hand on the ground then pushed him too. Except he ended up in the bushed about ten feet away.

Kouga looked wide eyed as Inuyasha grunted and cursed, then he looked back at Kagomes hand clutching a tuff of grass as Kaede made her way over from the hut to see what all the noise was about. Kouga’s eyes widened as her nails started to turn into claws. Kaede moved to put her hand on the girls back but Kouga grabbed her hand shaking his head.

“Inuyasha tried that and he ended up in the bushes.” Kaede looked from Kagome to the bushes where Kouga was pointing and sure enough Inuyasha groaned as he slowly stood up picking leafs and sticks out of his hair.

Kouga stood up and moved back from her not wanting to suffer Inuyasha’s fate, he sat down again thinking that waiting it out would be the best thing to do right now. Her breathing became labored as her shaking became more violent and sweat drenched her clothes. Kouga clenched his teeth as a feeling of helplessness swept over him.

“Kagome…” Kouga desperately wanted to help her but he knew there was nothing he could do.

Then Kouga and Inuyasha caught a whiff of a very unwanted person. They turned around to see Sesshoumaru watching a thin blue cloud start to swirl over the young girl. He seemed to be only mildly interest but in reality he was fascinated.

“Sesshoumaru…” but Inuyasha had no chance to finish his threat.

“The first time is always uncomfortable.” He started to walk over to the cloud as it thickened “Even painful.” Kagome whimpered from with in the mini cyclone as if to prove Sesshoumaru was being truthful.

He had read that most who underwent this sudden transformation died and this girl with her miko powers would almost certainly die if he didn't do something. He was to intrigued by her ‘condition’ to let her die.

When he had discovered that tome buried deep in his fathers study after he died he was caught. That tome spoke of humans with demon blood that did nothing he was intrigued and wanted to know more but something had been spilled on the following pages. In time the desire to know faded in wake of getting used to his new responsibility’s. Then was forgotten all together but when she appeared on the scene something compelled him to pick back up on the research. The research he did in his spare time had become a pet project.

Sesshoumaru stopped next to her as she closed her eyes and started to grind her teeth. He knelt down and settled one of his hands on her shoulder as she opened her mouth to scream. Sesshoumaru tensed as he drew some of her pain from her, he wanted to know if the legends where true. Or was this just a curse set on her? If it were a curse her blood wouldn’t change. It wouldn’t ‘speak’ to him. But if the legends where true…

Kagome could feel Sesshoumaru's hand on her shoulder but she didn't know it was him. She flinched as the excruciating pain dulled a little. She wondered who’s hand was on her as she felt some one in her mind.

Sesshoumaru ground his teeth together having forgotten what his first time felt like. As her pain escalated he clenched his jaw; even sharing the pain it felt as if he was reliving his first change. The young miko would surly have died had he not intervened. Kagome grunted and all of her muscles convulsed accompanied by a tail then her face started to grow longer throwing everyone for a loop.

The swirling blue ora that was surrounding her thickened enough to obscured their view of her and it started to grow. As Kagomes pain started to fade Sesshoumaru stood and took a few steps back. What he felt settled on his shoulders satisfying his curiosity, well most of it. It was true she was definitely a unique creature. Kouga took Kaede by the shoulder and pulled her back with him.

Finally the cloud thinned to reveal a large black dog. It or she rather was a little more that half the size of Sesshoumaru when he is in his true form. It all happened so fast that they just kind of stood there staring. Kouga was wide eyed; his mind was boggled as new tones to her sent bombarded him. The rest of them where just shocked. Kagome looked around blinking at everyone; she looked down to see Sesshoumaru walking up to her.

She started to back away until she realized she was bigger than he was. She looked at her self and yelped, Sesshoumaru's golden gaze met Kagomes new lavender eyes as she looked at him. Sesshoumaru looked to her forehead seeing a white starburst that surrounded a black circle. He looked up at the moon as the dark form started to move away; it looked like the covered moon.

“Sesshoumaru what the hell just happened?” he looked at his impertinent younger brother and raised an eyebrow saying nothing. “Sesshoumaru if you don’t answer me…” Sesshoumaru glared at him.

“You’ll what?” Inuyasha scrunched his face in determination. “I don’t think you want to upset your friend any more than she already is. Do you?” Inuyasha frowned and stepped back not wanting to upset Kagome or she might hurt one of them with out thinking.

Sesshoumaru looked back at Kagome and narrowed his eyes. She looked down on him puzzled as to why he was there. She lay down carefully so she was on everyone else’s level. Kouga walked past Sesshoumaru who had contemplated stopping him but didn't. The wolf demon knelt next to her giant head and started to stroke just above her eye. She sighed and realized that Sesshoumaru could talk in this form, can’t hurt to try she thought. She grunted as she raised her head off the ground and opened her mouth a few times before figuring out how to talk with a muzzle.

“What the hell is wrong with me?” Inuyasha sat on the ground next to Miroku as Sesshoumaru gracefully walked away toward Kagome.

“There’s nothing wrong with you.” her eyes widened; he was looking at her funny. Scary she thought to her self.

“What do you mean?” Kouga eyed him having seen the way he was looking at the girl “I look like you,” she glanced at her self again. “Just black.” She looked back at the tall ethereal figure.

“I mean that this is normal… for one like your self.” She shifted uncomfortably as his eyes bored into hers. There was something in his eyes that frightened her it was something primal.

“What’s that suppose to mean?” he grinned suddenly making her pull her head back and almost whimper. His face in that instant was the scariest thing she had ever seen. EVER.

“I noticed shortly after we met that you where difference from other humans…” she eyed him suspiciously. “So I did some reading and I have been observing you. I read some legends referring to a demon throw back, once in a wile a person has youkai blood in their lineage that would normally not affect them.” Her eyes widened as she shifted her weight. “But occasionally one would… have a power flare and it would essentially make them full youkai for the remaining years of their life which would be extended.” Kagomes jaw dropped.

“But I…” he raised an eye brow at him. “There’s no way… I’m from 500 years in the future…” Sesshoumaru raised his eyebrow at this new bit of info.

“Apparently your wrong.” Sesshoumaru walked up and gently laid his hand on her paw making Kouga growl and Kagomes eyes widen. She wanted to run but her body wouldn’t listen.

“Sesshoumaru get your paws off my mate!” the demon lord looked back at Kouga who had his hand clenched I front of him the knuckles turning white.

“I don’t smell your mark on her,” he looked back up at Kagome as she eyed him. “Kagome.” He spoke her name so softly it made her shiver and everyone else’s jaws nearly hit the ground especially Kouga’s. She wanted to run but she felt like she way made of lead.

Kagome remembered the all-important question that she thought she knew the answer to… are you sure? Now she didn't know; she felt different. She shifted and looked at Kouga then stood up and quickly bounded away. He started to go after her but Sesshoumaru thrust his hand out in front of the young wolf prince baring his path.

“What are you doing she’s my mate and she needs me.” Sesshoumaru looked at Kouga and shook his head.

“She needs to be alone,” his eyes had a cold amused sparkle. “But I will check on her when the time comes.” Then the taiyoukai was gone.

“Kouga I think that he’s right…” the wolf looked at Sango and his tail lowered a bit, this girl knew Kagome better than anyone. He sighed.

“If you think that’s best Sango.” He was none to happy about it but he sat next to the fire. Everyone knew that him and Inuyasha would be very cranky the next morning seeing as they weren’t going to be sleeping. The rest trotted off to bed.

When Kagome stopped she was next to a stream so she leaned down to drink, she cursed having a muzzle as she tried to drink with out getting water everywhere. She lied next to the river when she was done and watched the reflection of a giant black husky with shimmering lavender eyes and the strange moon on its forehead. That’s me she thought. It’s me but its not. She was her self but she was more than that now. She sat up examining her self in the water, her reflection looked like the finest show dog she had ever seen. Much like Sesshoumaru but she had more delicate features.

Do you hate me? by Lady_Dark_Kitten
Why should I care if they hurt you
Somehow, it matters more to me
Than if I were hurting myself
Save you (save you)
I'll save you

As she watched her reflection wondering what came next there was a rustling in the brush and an oni as big as she was jumped out at her. She yelped and her first thought was I don’t have any weapons… run. She remembered that she had teeth and claws as the thing hit her mid back knocking her to the ground. She struggled to shake it off and tried to reach the thing but it was useless. She was about to try and roll into a tree to get it off her when a silver streak flue over her and snatch the thing. Kagome stumbled back and watched the silver creature shake the thing to death. She tripped over a root when the thing turned to her and she realized that it was Sesshoumaru.

“Are you ok Kagome?” she tried to clear her head by shaking it and rested her self on a tree.

“Why do you care?” she spat then looked up to see him staring down on her, she cowered for a moment. But she straitened up puffing her chest out and took a defiant step toward him as she pushed her fear into a bag. But he just eyed her gently.

“I don’t know.” He pulled back his lips and it looked like he was snarling but some how she knew it was a smile and couldn’t help but crack a small nervous grin. “Walk with me Kagome.” She stood and fallowed him shocked that he was calling her by her name. She walked warily next to him ready to bolt like a frightened doe.

“So why are you being nice to me?” he looked at her for a moment and she moved away.

“I have my reasons.” She grumbled something inaudible to her self. “Partly because you need to know how to better defend your self now that you have the means to.” He wanted to see what she could do… he wanted to see if she could measure up to normal youkai standards. “And you wont have to depend on the mutt” Kagome stopped dead and had to sit down.

“Train me, are you ill?” he eyes her. “You hate me remember.” He frowned.

“No.” she rolled her eyes as she stood up and trotted back next to him because he kept walking. She didn't know if he was saying he didn't remember or if he didn't hate her. Her fear was starting to turn into anger.

“No…” she snorted, “that doesn’t tell me anything.” he looked at her and raised an eyebrow.

“No I don’t hate you.” she twisted her face thoughtfully.

“Ok now explain why?” it couldn’t just be because I’m youkai now, could it?

“That is my secret, you’ll know when I want you to.” He has an alerter motive… I knew it!

Kouga? by Lady_Dark_Kitten
Give unto me your troubles
I'll endure your suffering
Place onto me your burden
I'll drink your deadly poison

She followed he into a glade watching him sit. She looked around then back to him. She frowned, and then sat in front of him. He stayed quiet and she started to look around again. Why did he bring me here? When she looked back at him and he was looming over her. She yelped and scooted back.

“Kagome you need to learn to be aware of your surrounding first of all, if I wanted to I could have killed you.” he walked around her and sat next to her. “Second you need to learn to rely on your instincts as well as your mind.” She nodded.

“What’s the third?” he grinned.

“Don’t get your self killed.” She rolled her eyes.

He spent most of the night lecturing her. Eventually when he did finish he decided that now was a good time to jump at her as her first test; see how well she was paying attention. He turned away making it look like he was going to leave; he peeked back to see her backing away in the direction of her camp instead of turning. After the first few paces she did turn, he wheeled around and charged her. She looked back her eyes getting wide then she ducked and yelped. As he went over her she backed as far away as she could. Kagome couldn’t stop shaking.

He skid to a stop the turned on a dime charging her again. This time she got low and when he was almost on her she tackled him knocking his legs out from under him. She turned around and was about to hop on him. But of coarse he wasn’t going to let her win; she had to earn that. As she pounced and laded on him he rolled over pinning her under him.

She yipped then eyed him. She started to shiver as he moved his muzzle so her nose almost touched his. His red eyes gleamed in the early morning light; suddenly he blinked and moved away from her. He looked up at the sky seeing the sun coming up.

“One last thing, changing back.” She looked down at her self and grimaced as he moved off of her. “It wont be painful like the first time, now concentrate on your human form and just think about changing.” She closed her eyes tightly and slowly she started to shrink. When she looked at her self again she was her self.

“Wow.” She looked up at him and watched as he started to shrink and all of his features contracted and started to change back. When he was done he smiled a small smile. In her amazement she completely forgot her fear but only for a moment.

“I’ll walk you back.” She nodded; him being so nice to her was really scary.

They walked and said nothing, by the time they got back the sun had risen above the horizon. He moved a branch out of her way and she stepped in front of him seeing everyone asleep. He stepped out behind her as she walked forward; he was really, really creeping her out. As she approached Kouga’s eyes shot open and he looked over. When he saw her she didn’t have the chance to take another step. He had her gathered in his arm and was carrying her away from the taiyoukai. Kagome wrapped her arms firmly around him taking a deep breath filled with his musky sent. Sesshoumaru frowned unsure as to why he cared if the wolf had his hands all over her.

“Kagome are you ok?” she nuzzled his neck and deeply inhaled again. Making Kouga freezes; she was taking in his sent she had never done this before. He could feel Kagome start to relax in his embrace.

“Yes Kouga… I’m fine.” She kissed his neck but some how it felt wrong, she frowned and looked at him.

“Kagome what’s wrong?” she shook her head.

“Mm its nothing I just feel a bit strange is all.” She looked back to see Sesshoumaru standing there. “Thank you Sesshoumaru.” She felt strange saying it.

He nodded and she whished she knew what he was thinking. She caught a glimpse of Sesshoumaru's eyes as he walked away. Then a barge of emotions slammed into her, confusion, bitterness, anger, a strange sense of entertainment and something else; she could see all of this floating threw his golden pools. In moments he was gone leaving her bewildered and more than a little frightened.

“Kagome.” Inuyasha walked up next to her as she watched his older brother leave. “What happened?” Inuyasha and Kouga knew that he hadn’t deflowered her but she was acting strangely.

“Nothing… he just gave me some pointers on how to fight like the youkai I have become.” The boys looked at each other and shrugged unsure of what to make of the whole situation.

“Come on Kagome lets eat.” Kouga wrapped his arm around the young miko youkai’s shoulder then she looked at him and smiled nodding.

They didn't know that Sesshoumaru sat in a tree not too far off watching the girl. Why? Was all he could think, why had my wildest and weirdest dream come true? He watched the beautiful former human sit with the hanyou and wolf by the fire. Somehow them being so near her bothered him, like she already belonged to him. He huffed in exasperation; he had never let his hormones get the best of him. Again… why? He leaped away having decided to dream-walk and see how she reacts to him in a more intemeant situation. Many discard all dreams as flights of fancy that have no meaning, no relevance to the real world. They would be very surprised how accurately you can predict the reaction of a person based on their dreams. He left as the others woke and stumbled out of bed.

“So Kagome…” she looked at Miroku and smiled gently. “Are you sure your going to be ok?” she scowled at him.

“I’m not a fragile little cherry blossom… I will be ok.” He nodded as she stood up and stretched her black tail.

As she relaxed it immediately moved to rest on her shoulder. As everyone watched she never seemed to notice. She looked around and raised an eyebrow then looked at her shoulder where her puffy black tail rested, it looked like a stretch of moonless starless midnight. She touched it finding it was silky soft, she wondered if Sesshoumaru’s felt that way. She looked up at Sango and smiled having a sudden and wonderful idea.

“What Kagome?” Sango looked around as her smile grew.

“Lets go to a hot spring.” Kagome walked over to grab her bathing stuff as Sango smiled and nodded. She looked at her tail and grabbed an extra towel.

As they walked Kagome took a deep breath taking in everything that she had never smelled before. She looked around finding every color was more vivid and she seemed to be able to feel every stick, stone and leaf under her feet. Sango looked at her awe struck friend.

“Kagome.” She looked at Sango a wide smile plastered on her face and joyful mischief playing in her eyes.

“Its strange, but its great!” she squealed. “I feel like I was missing something that I didn't know I had, but it was hiding the entire time.” She forced her grin to remain when she got a whiff of Sango’s sent… now she knew one reason why Sesshoumaru avoided humans. She wondered why Kouga didn't have the same aversion to humans.

We smell horrid; then she realized she’s not human any more. Kagome managed to push it away hoping that she would get used to it. When they could see the spring Kagome looked around as she entered the clearing. She sniffed then looked at every bush she could fine. Sango looked at her friend funny as she striped, then she shrugged and hopped in the pool. Kagome was in right after her, as she settled in she could feel her tail become waterlogged and sink to the bottom.

The bath was swift and quiet. Sango couldn’t help but notice that Kagome had a small fuzz trail that was climbing her spine from her tail. That led her eyes to a small lavender stripe on each side of her spin just above her hips. The fuzz trail would soon cover the ends near her spine. They got out and dried Kagome discovering the trail for her self shivered when she touched it. Kagome had to labor to get her tail dry; thank god for battery-powered blow dryers she thought. As they walked back Sango couldn’t help it.

“Kagome?” she looked at the demon exterminator. A small grin still playing on her face, Sango blushed. “Can I…” Kagome cocked her and frowned. “Can I touch your tail?” Kagome made a thought full face as she looked at it. What harm could it do?

“Ya go a head.” She moved closer to the woman and Sango reached out feeling the soft fur. Then Kagome tensed and Sango frowned pulling away when she saw Kagomes face flush. “Uuuuummm” Kagome shivered and felt warm allover. “Hehe that’s a bit embarrassing.” Sango blushed a quickly looked at the ground.

“I… I…” she looked up at Kagome felling total mortified. But Kagome just shook her head.

“Don’t sweat it.” Sango breathed a sigh of relieve.

“So Kagome…” the youkai girl looked to the path ahead. “What do you think got into Sesshoumaru?” Kagome shook her head.

“I don’t know, its like I became youkai and instantly I’m worth his time.” She started to chew on her lip. “And what was with that look?” Sango furrowed her brow at Kagome.

“What do you mean?” Kagome looked at her wide-eyed, she hadn’t meant to say it out loud. But it was to late now.

“Well when he left he looked at me funny…” flashes of his amber seemingly sad eyes narrow at her. “I don’t know how to explain it.” She absently rubbed her forehead where there was a silver crescent moon outlined in black.

“I wont say anything to the boys. Things are strange as it is we don’t want them thinking to much of Sesshoumaru looking at you, they would try and kill him.” She huffed in defeat. “And they’d get the crap beat out of them with out making a dent.” Kagome giggled.

“Very true.” As they entered the camp the girls fell quiet and the boys looked at them, Kouga got up and trotted over to Kagome wrapping one arm around her waist.

The rest of Kagomes day was spent exploring the area with her new senses of coarse with Inuyasha and Kouga in tow. They where intent on watching her incase she lost her self in her new powers. Really she was trying to distract her self from the twisting feeling in the pit of her stomach.

As night fell Kagome settled on the porch with Kouga and tried to sleep. Except all she could do was toss and turn. She knew she was keeping Kouga awake but he didn't say anything.

The next few days she started to feel worse but she did her best to hide it. She tried even harder when she realized she was being watched. She figured it was Sesshoumaru but she didn't say anything and she tried to ignore it. She couldn’t help but feel edgy and she wondered if he knew he was making her more anxious.

The more nervous she got the more Kouga and Inuyasha followed her asking her if she was ok. If she needed to go home for a few days, was she hungry and they asked her every stupid question everyone except her mother would ask when she felt sick or was having a bad day.

At some point she was sitting with Kouga and Inuyasha on the porch and her tail started to twitch as she felt Sesshoumaru's eyes start to burrow in her side. She jumped when Kouga put his hand on her tail to hold it still. She looked at him and smiled nervously trying reassure her mate to be that she was ok. But she wasn’t she felt like her gut was going to explode and all of her muscles where wound as tight as a pocket watch that’s been over wound.

“Kagome?” she looked at Inuyasha and her tail snaked away from Kouga’s restraining grasp. “Are you ok?” she frowned and narrowed her eyes at him. She was tiered of them asking after her all the time.

“Would you quit pestering me?!” she snapped as she stood and draped her tail across her shoulder. She started to walk away and stopped running her hand threw her raven hair. “I told you I’m fine I just need some time.” Then she stormed past Sango not taking a second look.

Sango blinked and looked at the boys then to the form of her retreating friend. Wondering what they did this time. Kouga was frowning and Inuyasha’s ears where flat. She shook her head and walked past them hoping that Kagome would revert to her normal self soon.

At the same time not to far off Kagome sat next to a small creek and winced. She griped her side as it started to throb painfully. She lay down on her back to relive the pain some and looked up to see Sesshoumaru standing over her. She frowned and quickly sat up ignoring the pain. She looked back at him and narrowed her eyes at him.

“What do you want?” she muttered angrily to hide her fear.

“I came to see how you where doing.” She stood up quickly tightening her grip on her side for a moment and let go as she started to walk away. Then he grabbed her shoulder making her freeze. “What are you doing?” she looked back at him trying to hide the fear in her eyes. She knew that if he chose he could crush her, even if she didn't feel like some one was ripping her insides out she couldn’t win.

“Leaving, I want to be alone.” He surprised her by releasing her shoulder.

Kagome blinked slowly and turned away she quickly looked back then started to walk away. She started to feel weird when he touched her. It was almost like there was a magnet attached to him making her want to be closer. She shook her head and kept walking.

When she was out of sight he frowned slightly wondering about her. Why did her blood have to speak to him in that way? Why did it have to say make me yours. He let out a small-undignified snort and walked away.

By the time Kagome got out of Sesshoumaru’s line of sight she wanted to go back to the hut. So she turned around and walked around where she saw him back to the hut. But when she got there and got sat down Kouga walked up behind her. Then he wrapped his arms around her Kagome could smell the pheromones as he nuzzled his face into the crook of her neck.

“Kagome walk with me.” He released her she nodded and as the wondered off Inuyasha was fuming. He had never gotten used to the wimp touching her.

Kouga had his arm wrapped around Kagomes waist. And Kagome wondered if she was ready for this then she wondered if she wanted this. Kouga could smell her distress and stopped pulling her close. He smiled at her.

“Kouga…” he leaned down to her ear and nibbled on it.

“Its ok Kagome…” he kissed just below her ear working his way down her neck making her shiver.

What Kouga and the others didn't know is that Sesshoumaru had been peeking in on Kagome since he left. He just happened to pop in as Kouga kissed her neck making her shiver and making Sesshoumaru growl. The wolf stepped forward making Kagome lean her back against a tree. He wanted her for him self, he wouldn’t kill the wolf or hanyou because that would only drive her away. So what was he going to do?

“But I…” he kissed her collarbone.

“Don’t worry… I’ll be gentle.” He slipped his hand under her shirt then she slipped her tail between them.

She was having a hard time getting around her rushing hormones but she realized she didn't want this. He looked at her hurt and offended at the same time. Kagome could feel her eyes sting as tears clouded them. She stepped to one side keeping her tail between them.

“I… I’m sorry Kouga… but I… I just can’t.” He looked at the ground then back at her his eyes full of sadness knowing that she wasn’t just staling till she was ready she was turning him away all together.

“But Kagome…” she shook her head vigorously. It was like the definitions of her emotions shifted; they seemed to be more or less extreme.

“I don’t know why but I can’t.” she turned around and ran not to the camp but away. He sat on the ground; he would never love anyone but her. Kagome ran not thinking about where she was going; she just needed to go. She wrapped her arm around her waist for a moment as the pain stabbed her but she kept going.

Sesshoumaru watched her knowing that she was too emotional to pay attention to what was around her. When she finally stopped she sat under a tree to try and relax. She felt so bad but she knew that in the end she did the right thing. She rested for a bit then looked at the sky; it was starting to get dark. She knew that she couldn’t make it on foot in this form so she changed. She looked her self over still amazed that this was her body.

She shook the thought away and bounded off; the pain seemed less in this form she thought to her self. In no time flat she had landed just outside the campsite. She walked up and changed. Then she looked around seeing everyone had a long face, and Kouga was gone. She looked at the ground feeling very guilty; she sat down ignoring the questioning looks. Inuyasha could smell her purity now he knew why Kouga left.

“He hasn’t come back yet has he?” she never looked up she could hear everyone shift.

“Yes he did.” She knew Inuyasha was eyeing her she looked up at him.

“Do you know if he’s coming back?” Inuyasha nodded.

“He said he would be back by morning.” Kagome nodded and stood up walking over to a tree then leapt up into one of the branches.
Don't protect me! by Lady_Dark_Kitten
Fear not the flame of my love's candle
Let it be the sun in your world of darkness
Give unto me all that frightens you
I'll have your nightmares for you
If you sleep soundly

She sat there and watched the waning moon wondering what Kouga was doing, wondering if he was going to be ok. Eventually she fell asleep perched in the tree but she was plagued by horrid dreams of the shards, Naraku and worst of all the math test that was a week from now. But during one of the Naraku dreams she just couldn’t get away. It was one of those dreams where you couldn’t scream and it didn't matter what you did you couldn’t win. Then suddenly she found her self in a pair of strong arms when she looked behind her Naraku was gone.

She took a deep breath and looked up to her surprise it was Sesshoumaru, her eyes widened. Tears formed at the corner of her eyes as she tried to push away only making him tighten his grip on her. Eventually she gave up and tightened her grip on his shirt. Then she pulled her self closer to him burying her face in his chest, and then she wondered why. Why was he such a comfort to her?
“Sesshoumaru?” she questioned him with a lazy voice. “Why?” She was so tired; she smiled at him as he whipped one of her tears away.

“Kagome…” his voice was so soft for him and she pulled away just enough to look into his amber eyes. “Sleep Kagome…” she could feel her eyelids becoming heavy and she blinked at him as he picked her up.

“But I…” he pulled her closer and wondered if her miko powers where causing her physical pain. He did know why but the thought of her in pain deeply disturbed him.

“Sleep deeply Kagome…” the last thought she had was why was he talking to her like that, maybe its just because this is a dream.

She woke the next morning wrapped in her tail. She snuggled in feeling safe and warm; she didn't want to get up. As she closed her eyes again she saw that soft amber soft gaze locked with hers. Who was that, why can’t I remember his face. I know those eyes. She opened her eyes and blinked remembering the dream; she realized she slept with out waking up and with out the bad dreams.

She looked to everyone below, they where still sleeping. She released her tail letting it drape over her shoulder in pure Sesshoumaru style. She dropped silently out of the tree and walked over to Kouga who had come back in the middle of the night. She wanted to lay with him next to the fire pit, and she wanted to comfort him. But she didn't want him to think that she had just been nervous.

She got some wood then sat next to him and started a fire. As she poked the fire to keep it alive Kouga started to move. She looked over as he opened his eyes; he glanced around till his eyes met hers. She blinked then looked back to the fire.

“Kagome…” she gave him a side glance. “What did you dream about last night?” her tail twitched, as she smelled his distress.

“Naraku, why?” he frowned.

“Then why did you say his name?” Kagome blinked for a moment and frowned thinking about it. He sat up and looked at her. “Sesshoumaru… you called him in your dreams.” Kagome blinked again as she raised an eyebrow.

“Sesshoumaru?” he scowled and quickly looked at the ground. “It wasn’t like that Kouga.” Or was it like that. She sighed; she could still feel his arms wrapped around her. She was comfortable in his arms so why did it frighten her?

“Ohhh?” he stood up and towered over her, his hands where shaking as he balled them into fists and narrowed his eyes. She had never seen him this up set. She scowled at him and stood up to face him.

“You think I would lie to you?” she snapped only inches away from his face making him almost fall backward. He frowned, how much had she changed?

“I don’t know would you?” he already regretted saying that as her hair started to rise around her, women seemed to do that when they where angry but she was a demon now. Scary.

Her eyes started to turn a deep maroon and she started to shake, he could almost see the fire crawling over her body in waves. She balled her fists then started to growl at him. She turned around to leave but he grabbed her by the shoulder.

“What?” she snapped as she turned on him. Pain flashed across his face as she bared her teeth. He thought he felt the ground shake and the air vibrate.

“Kagome… I…” she lifted a perfectly arched eyebrow. She wanted to lay him out so bad, one swift shot to the jaw… that’s all it would take to get him out of her face. Kagome clenched her jaw.

“I know your sorry…” the end of her tail twitched and she turned away from him and started walking.

As Kagome walked away from Kouga she wondered how long he was going to be like that. Then she realized she was being over sensitive.

{“But he had no right to call you a liar.”
“No he didn't but that doesn’t give me a reason to freak out like that.”}

She stopped and looked at her hands for a moment turning them this way and that. She was still her self but now that she was a demon she felt like she loved him in a ‘human’ way. She still loved him but it was different.

What made it different she silently wondered? It didn't feel like a family kind of love or even the love one would hold for a friend. She stopped next to a stream and watched the water gently roll over the small pebbles. She was deep in thought when not far off she heard soft footfall. She could smell him and wondered why he was here.

“Sesshoumaru…” she whispered as he walked up next to her and shot her a chilly side-glance; she smirked nervously. “Having a bad day?” he glared at her and she lifted a coy eyebrow at him.

“No.” Kagome eyed him wondering what he was up to. She was afraid of him but her foul mood seemed to get the best of her.

“Oh really?” she grinned as he stared down his nose at her. She was getting to big for her fluffy little tail he thought to himself. He suddenly snatched her up by neck making her flinch as he lifted her off the ground.

“Do not forget who you are talking to little miko.” She strived for air as she lifted her hands to his arm and stared at him around his hand.

He glared at her thinking that this made a wonderful test; he looked her over and noticed that her tail was curling and uncurling. He looked back at her slightly pail face thinking that if she didn't do something soon he would have to put her down. He was very tempted just to let her die and normally he would have. But Rin had softened him enough that he wouldn’t. Then he felt a furry thing that could only be her tail twine tightly around his hand. He watched her eyes as she tightened her grip then she swung her legs up around his arm. He raised an eyebrow at her; this was definitely different from what most would have done.

She started to growl and black tendrils crept across her already darkened eyes as she moved one of her legs to his chest tightened her hands around his wrist digging her claws into his flesh. He tightened his grip on her neck as he felt all of her muscles bunch up, he knew she was trying to pull away and realized that she had been holding her breath for quite some time. Suddenly as he pondered how she was still awake she kicked him square in the chest right between the spikes on his armor. It wasn’t enough to knock the wind out of him but just enough that she had caught him off guard and escaped his grasp.

As she landed she unwrapped her tail and started to growl. The blackness had covered her eyes and she lunged for him baring her now dangerously long teeth. The plan was to catch her and restrain her till she was calm but Kouga came leaping out of the bushes at him. Sesshoumaru stepped aside and let the foolish wolf soften Kagomes fall; he knew the wolf was trying to regain her attentions. But what he failed to realize was that Kagome a strong willed girl to begin with now she had new blood coursing threw her making her stronger and making her standards for a mate higher than before.

As Sesshoumaru thought he watched Kagome crash into Kouga tearing into him. She must have been blinded by her rage obviously not knowing that her target was off to the side. Kouga was trying to defend him self and not hurt her in the process. Sesshoumaru snickered and not whishing Kagome to feel guilty about killing her suitor he walked over and plucked the girl off him. She struggled until he wove his arms with hers and locked his hands together behind her head. Kouga stood up holding his shoulder where she had broken his armor away and ripped into his shoulder shredding much of the flesh. The result of her wild attack was a blood covered shoulder, seeing as he was holding her hands it was really the only thing she could have done.

“WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO HER!?” Sesshoumaru lifted one of his delicate eyebrows.

“I was reminding her who she was dealing with.” The wolfs tail started to whip back and forth more like a cats than a wolf.

“YOU COULD HAVE KILLED HER!” Kouga took a step toward him.

“Yes… but the question is would I have killed her?” Kouga stopped in his tracks thrown off by the question.

Sesshoumaru looked down at the black haired beauty that he was holding as she stopped trying to get away. She looked at Kouga and her eyes widened as the blackness receded, the last thing she could remember was watching Sesshoumaru's calm face as her vision faded and she wrapped her tail around his arm. When she realized that she was being restrained she tried to look back but could only see a white fluffy thing that answered that question, she thought about trying to get away but she didn't know if she could. As Kagomes senses started to come back she could taste the blood.

“Ohhh my god Kouga!” to Kagomes shock Sesshoumaru let go of her as she started to move toward the wolf. “Are you ok?” she looked at his arm as her eyes started to sparkle with tears. She looked back at Sesshoumaru who was walking over to them.

“I’m fine…” he glared at Sesshoumaru. “Don’t you come near her!” he pushed Kagome to the side making her frown and narrow her eyes.

“She doesn’t need you to protect her any more.” Kagome looked at Sesshoumaru then looked at her hands realizing that they where moist, what she found was blood.

She looked back to the advancing pail figure and saw blood dripping down his hand; she wanted to run but she forced her self to stay figuring that if he wanted to kill her he would have. She walked up next to Kouga and touched his uninjured shoulder as she glanced at his hard angry face. Was he angry because Sesshoumaru was right or because Sesshoumaru was hurting her Kagome wondered. Kouga looked at her clenching his shoulder. Before Kagome could say anything Inuyasha was next to leap out of the under brush. He collided with Kouga and Kagome thought that she was going down too until she felt a pair of soft strong arms around her waist.

She blinked and looked up at Sesshoumaru then back to the boys, her eyes widened as her blood started to run cold and her sent became laced with fear. It was his eyes that scared her they where different and he smelled different. She pushed away from the great lord as he loosened his grip. The boys managed to untangle and stand up glaring at Sesshoumaru as Kagome backed toward them.

“What’s going on?!” Inuyasha looked at everyone in tern and his gaze settled on the young blood covered miko. “Your not hurt are you?” it was a stupid question but he couldn’t help it, he had spent so long saying that it just kinda popped out.

“She can protect her self.” the boys looked at a slightly bitter sounding Sesshoumaru but Kagomes eyes where trained on Kouga’s shoulder. She couldn’t remember what happened, she felt the air shift around her and looked over to see Sesshoumaru right behind her looking down on her.

“What happened?” Sesshoumaru looked from her to the boys and lifted an eyebrow.

“We will talk about that in privet.” She took a deep breath and glared at him as he turned around and walked away.

“I hate that.” She snapped then found her self with him holding her chin tightly. Her anger melted into a respectful fear.

“Get used to it.” he turned around and left.

Get used to it? What the hell did that mean? He couldn’t mean that he was going to stick around. Kagome started to growl making the boys shiver at the blatant reminder of what she really was. She stopped and turned around to see them just staring at her, she sighed feeling her heavy emotions ebb away as she walked over to Kouga.

“Let me see that.” He obediently moved his arm for her. She winced when she saw the deep wound she had caused; she had bitten deep and obviously shook his shoulder seeing the deep marks she left. She idle wondered how deep they where. “I’m sorry….” She covered her mouth with the back of her hand as her eyes started to glitter with new tears.

“Its ok Kagome…” he sighed as tears streamed down her face, he pulled her close despite the pain it caused him. “Its not your fault.” She bent down and rinsed her hands off then rinsed her mouth. She moved away from the river and looked at the sky. Night was starting to fall.

“We should get back.” Inuyasha said as he placed a hand on Kagomes shoulder. She looked at them and both nodded. She walked between them not wanting to look at them and the pain crept across her stomach and up her back.

She wanted to get this under control. She wondered if she would lose it again. She wondered if she would accidentally kill someone; the thought made her shiver. She tried to push the morbid thoughts away not wanting to awaken her over active imagination.


Dreams, blood and pain by Lady_Dark_Kitten
Give unto me your troubles
I'll endure your suffering
Place onto me your burden
I'll drink your deadly poison

That night Kagomes dreams where plagued by incoherent images of her standing over one of her companions. They where all dead, in many of her dreams their throats where ripped out and the chunks lay next to them. She would wake up on the verge of screaming but when she looked around everyone was ok so she would ease back to sleep and it would start over.

Kagome lay back down in her bed for what she swore was the hundredth time. She watched the fire as her eyelids grew heavy and slowly closed. When she opened them again she had her teeth dug into Kouga’s throat; she wanted to let go she tried to let go but her mouth tightened as he grabbed her arms and tried to plead for her not to kill him. In one final squeeze she could feel his vocal cords snap and crumple. She started to pull away she pressed her clawed hands to his neck to help tear the chunk of hot moist flesh off him.

Oohhhhhh god she thought, I killed him. She saw that he was torn to bits; he would have bleed to death with in the hour. Then she felt something hit her back as some one was hoping to knock her out but it only fueled her rampage. She whirled around ripping the unknown figures stomach then jumped on them pining them to the ground. There was a solid thud next to her. When she came face to face with the person it was Sango and in her peripheral vision she could see the giant boomerang sticking out of the ground. Kagome couldn’t control her self she grabbed her friends neck digging her claws in. Then she pulled Sango by her throat so that she was sitting.

“Ka… Kago…” she tried to talk around Kagomes claws but the young demon just tightened her grip grinning.

Just then a small object came flying at her. Kagome looked over momentarily and grabbed Shippo then threw him into the trunk of a tree; she could hear his back snap. Kagome felt sick she could feel the hot salty tears run down her cheek as she looked back to Sango and thrust the heal of her palm under the young exterminators jaw. Kagome could hear the cracking of more bones; the sound of ripping skin and tendons rang in her ears like the cries of a dying angle.

She stood up and stumbled back agents a tree. She heard footsteps and looked over to see Inuyasha walking up to her. His eyes where dark and sad as he pulled out Tessaiga, she could see a small tear slide down his face. She knew what was coming, she tried to stop but she just lunged at him… she was looking right at the edge of his blade when someone grabbed him from behind and pulled him away from her. She collided with the person, she knew who it was as her head hit the hard armor.

She looked up at Sesshoumaru and grabbed one of his arms then thrust her hand toward his neck. But he grabbed it with his free hand then pried Kagomes other hand off of his shoulder and pushed her to the ground. She snarled and stood up then charged him but he lifted his hand and one of his fingers and sent a small jolt of power that touched the moon on her forehead making her collapse. He sat cross-legged and pulled her into his lap. He ran a hand down Kagomes blood stained face and pulled her close so he could whisper in her ear.

“Kagome…” she could feel her heart speed up as he wrapped and arm around her, for an unexplainable reason fear flooded her mind. “Kagome it’s ok.” He waved his other hand in front of him and the blood was gone. “Kagome its ok it never happened everyone is ok.” She looked around and saw everyone next to the fire.

“I… but I.” He placed a hand on her arm and pulled her closer.

“No you didnt its all a dream.” She looked at him as he moved his arm around her waist with the other and wrapped his tail around them.

“Why do you do this?” she shifted and looked away. She had the sudden erg to run.

“Because…” he tightened his grip on her. “Don’t be afraid I wont hurt you Kagome.” She looked back at him remembering when he had held her off the ground by her throat. He seemed to know exactly what she was thinking. “Kagome… if I wanted you dead don’t you think I would have done it?” she looked at the campfire and leaned on him despite the fear that over whelmed her. “Now sleep.” She looked at him and blinked. She could have sworn he smiled at her.

“But … I…” he shifted her so she was lying in his lap like a very young child would.

“Sleep… I want you to sleep peacefully.” She turned to him feeling drowsy all the sudden. I don’t want to sleep she thought as panic started to brew in her blood. But she nestled her head where his leg met his hip.

Is this it? by Lady_Dark_Kitten
Fear not the flame of my love's candle
Let it be the sun in your world of darkness
Give unto me all that frightens you
I'll have your nightmares for you
If you sleep soundly

Kagome slowly opened one eye the next morning half expecting Sesshoumaru to be there. Of coarse he wasn’t but he was watching her from afar. She sat up and looked around rubbing her eyes, everything was normal. Breathing a small sigh of relief as she stood up and stretched with no pain.

As she walked over to the fire she wondered if Sesshoumaru had suddenly grown some kind of brain tumor that was making him act like this. Or was what they had all seen a mask? She shook her head thinking that it was to early in the morning to be forming theories as to what exactly was wrong with him. Or her for that matter, she plopped next to the fire and looked at Kouga who spent the night there; her tail twitched as her eyes moved to the bloody bandaging on his shoulder.

“I’m fine really.” Kagome jumped as he turned over to look at her.

“I…” he sat up and almost put one of his arms around her shoulder but thought it better not to.

“Its ok really… you where just defending your self.” she looked at the fire and frowned as that strange pain crawled over her body again, but this time it was different. Kagome could feel the blood start to drain from her face as Kouga touched her shoulder “Kagome are you ok?” she raised her hand up to her chest placing it over the small bottle with the shards in it but she knew that’s not what it was.

“I…” her eyes started to glitter with pain as she clenched her teeth. “My chest… ugh.” She bent over and started to cough.

“Kagome!” he leaned over and cupped her cheek in his hand then lifted her head to look at him. She felt something start to drip down her chin, Kouga's eyes got wide as he reached over and whipped the viscous liquid off of her baby soft skin. When his hand pulled back Kagome saw blood.

“Ugh… ohhh… god.” She clenched her teeth as tears started to roll down her face she reached up and grabbed Kouga’s arm her claws digging deep drawing blood.

She moved her head out of his hand and let it hang her hair hiding her face as she watched her blood drip on the ground. What was happening to her? She felt like she was being ripped up from the inside out. Kagome let go of Kouga’s arm and supported her self as she tried to keep her head off the ground. She could smell the tall pail man that had been saving her from her dreams behind her as Kouga raised his head and started to growl.

“Se… Sessh…” she felt a hand on her shoulder and relief flooded threw her but suddenly it felt like his hand was in her mind grasping her pulling her close.

“Sesshoumaru…” Kagome watched Kouga grab the demon lord’s hand to forcibly remove it from her shoulder. Instead he ended up slammed into the ground a few feet away and Sesshoumaru never raised a hand to him.

Kagome could feel Sesshoumaru kneel next to her. It was getting harder for her to breath she felt like someone was stacking 50-pound bags of sand on her chest. And for the second time in a mater of days she was drenched in sweat as her chest tightened just a scosh more as pain shot up her back. Then she felt all of her muscles start to spasm; Oh god am I going to die? Is this it? Everything that’s happened everything that I survived… everything I still have to do and I die like this but she felt some of her pain subside. Suddenly she heard Inuyasha growl.

“Sesshoumaru what the hell are you doing?” Kagome raised her head to look at the hanyou when she realized she couldn’t see. There was nothing but darkness. She could hear Inuyasha draw his sword. No! She knew that Sesshoumaru was blocking some of her pain.

“I… Inu… yasha…” he stopped dead and watched Kagomes dull blank eyes. “S…s… sit.” The sound of him hitting the ground was the last thing she heard and the last thing she thought was ‘I don’t want to die, not like this’ as the pain spiked and she collapsed.

Sesshoumaru could feel her body shut down and caught her before she hit the ground. He turned her over and let his eyes drift across her face. He smirked to him self; she will be fine he thought as he gently whipped the blood off her face.

“WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?” Kouga howled as he pushed him self off the ground. Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow and unwrapped him self from the young demoness’s mind.

“I’m not sure but you should thank me…” Inuyasha lifted him self off the ground silently cursing Kagome.

“Why is that?” Sesshoumaru smirked as his half brother eyed him waiting for his question to be answered.

“Because I just saved her life.” Sesshoumaru stood up lifting Kagome bridal style as he though ‘again’.

“You what?” Kouga looked at Inuyasha then Sesshoumaru.

“You heard me…” Kouga narrowed his eyes at the taiyoukai. “Her new body was rejecting her miko powers.” He walked over to her bed role and gently lied her down.

“If that’s true why didn't it happen earlier?” Sesshoumaru looked at Kouga as he walked over to Kagome.

“Maybe she was settling into her new blood before it happened to help increase her chances for surviving the rejection.” He looked at the boys and walked away. Kouga knelt next to his former partner and looked her over.

“I think he was right I mean it only makes sense.” Inuyasha said as Kagome stirred.

She didn't hurt as much and she was breathing easier but she ached all over. After a moment she realized that her savior was gone. She opened her eyes and everything looked different then she felt the shards change as her ability to feel them faded altogether. Her eyes widened as she sat up quickly surprising her companions and pulled the bottle out of her shirt. The shards weren’t tainted but they weren’t pure ether and they didn't shine as brightly.

“Ohh my god what happened?” she asked in a shrill tone as she tried to purify them. Her eyes filled with tears. “I… I can’t… I can’t purify them.” She stood up stuffing the bottle back in her shirt.

“Kagome you shouldn’t move.” Inuyasha grabbed her arm but she ripped away from his grip.

“Don’t touch me.” She snapped viscously her eyes growing dark as she picked up her bow and notched an arrow. For a moment Inuyasha honestly thought she was going to shoot him but she swung around pointing the arrow skyward. She calmed her self and concentrated on the arrow but when she launched it there was no blue light emanating from it. Instead it was a dark red. Kouga looked at Inuyasha and frowned.

“Kagome…” he walked up to her and she turned to look at him, “we think…” he reached out to try and take her shoulder hoping to comfort her.

“I TOLD YOU NOT TO TOUCH ME!” she barked as her eye turned black and a wave of power burst forth knocking over Kouga, Inuyasha and some trees. She looked around and started to shake as her eyes faded back to bright lavender. “I’m sorry I’m just…” her eyes started to brim with tears.

“Its ok.” Inuyasha quietly spoke as he walked up to her. She sat on the ground feeling faint.

“I’m so tired…” Kouga and Inuyasha sat in front of her.

“Sesshoumaru said he thought your youkai blood might be rejecting your miko powers.” She looked at Inuyasha and sniffled as she nodded.

“That’s exactly what happened now I can’t purify the shards…” tears started to roll freely down her cheeks. “What am I going to do?” Kagome took the bottle out and looked the shards over.

She lost her brother and her powers two of the things that where most important to her. What was she going to do? She stared at the jar that held 5 shards. I could use these to defeat Naraku… but should I? She could give them to Kouga she knew they would go untainted there for a time anyway. She couldn’t give them to Inuyasha not with his mixed blood. They would consume him and his blood would run amuck.

Then her thoughts returned to her self as the boys looked at Sango and Miroku who came walking on to the road they where camped on. I’m there keeper… I should be able to use them… right? Maybe… if I tried one only for a bit to see what would happen? She took one of the shards out of the glass bottle and looked it over.

“Kagome…” she looked up as she heard Sango’s shaky voice. “What are you doing?” the dark haired youkai girl looked back at the shard. It was mesmerizing but some how the more she looked at it the less she wanted it. She opened the jar and dropped it in then closed it.

“Nothing…” Kagome stood up and walked over to where she had been kneeling. She looked at the ground where her blood had stained it. “He saved my life you know.” Sango and Miroku both looked perplexed as she turned her lavender gaze on them. “Sesshoumaru… my body was shedding my miko powers and I would have died. He saved me… but why?” she lifted her head when his spicy sent wafted past her nose.

“Do you smell that?” Kouga looked at Inuyasha then back to Kagome.

“Yes I do.” Kagome said absently as she walked into the woods.
Fear not the flame of my loves candle by Lady_Dark_Kitten
Fear not the flame of my love's candle
Let it be the sun in your world of darkness

Kagome stopped in a very small clearing and looked around. He was here she could smell him. She looked behind her as he sidestepped out of the brush. The sight of him made fear serge threw her blood; she didn't have her powers to fall back on. He took a step toward her and she took one away. She was starting to feel funny.

“Kagome…” she swallowed her nerves.

“Yes.” Her voice was shaky.

”Don’t be afraid of me… if I wanted you dead I would have let you die.” She thought about it for a moment as he walked up and put one hand on her jaw line.

“Then what do you want, why is it that I turned into a demon and I’m instantly worth your time.” The glint in his eyes made her shiver; she couldn’t help but be afraid and she didn't know why.

“You where a curiosity… you where worth my time long before you turned.” She frowned.

“I was only a curiosity?” somehow she felt really hurt.

“At first I felt compelled to explore the legend. Then you became more than a curiosity when you changed.” She stepped back only to find a tree in her way. “When you challenged me despite your fear that was it.” She blinked.

“But that was so fast.” He swiftly and not so tenderly grabbed her hand then placed it over his heart. She could feel it thumping under his cloths and skin. Then she felt something else in her. That funny feeling started to grow as her fear started to fade slowly.

“Who your mate is runs in your blood.” She took a deep breath as she watched his cold eyes bore into hers eyes. “All though it does gall me to think that once you where human.” Kagome didn't hear this last comment, she could remember feeling drawn to him and it felt strange.

That was before she changed. Then she turned Kouga down with out knowing exactly why. Now that she was in her true form she felt her blood stir telling her this was right… he was meant for you… you where meant for him… he is your mate… he is your love. He… is… yours.

“But…” he took her by the waist and pulled her to him making her heart flutter and her blood boil. What about Kouga she wondered.

“You are in a dark place Kagome… dreams haunt you every night.” She swallowed hard and despite the harsh cold tone his words where quite romantic. “Be mine and the dreams will end.” try as she might Kagome couldn’t control her body as she flung her arms around his neck pulling her self up to meet his soft surprisingly tender lips. He wrapped both arms around her tightening his grip possessively.

“I don’t know why… but I can’t turn you away.” Her brows gathered above her eyes as they shined with confusion. He put his hand over her heart.

“I told you it’s in your blood. It is something you can’t deny” He watched her eyes clear as he realized that his father’s weakness for humans led him to watch this girl.

Kagome watched his chilly golden orbs and became lost in them. She didn't know what his thoughts where as she clung to him but she knew if there was no love in him for her it would come in time. There was an inkling of love, a small spark. He hated the fact that she was partly human but he knew he would get over it in time and that they had plenty of.

This story archived at http://inuyasha-fanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=123